Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

*** *** ***

Although Katie was thrilled that her sister and Kevin had broken up, her interest in the singer had waned in light of meeting Bradley. She had gone to the ice cream stand every day he was working and he'd finally started flirting back with her.

She wanted to ask him to accompany her to Ashley's goodbye barbecue. She checked her reflection in the mirror. Her skin had tanned a bit, giving her face a nice glow, and her new bikini looked smashing on her. "Eat your heart out," Katie said to her reflection.

She grabbed her beach bag and headed downstairs. She found Caroline sitting on the sofa playing a game with Emma. "Caroline, come on..." Katie ordered.

Caroline looked up and raised an eyebrow. "Where are we going?

"To see Bradley," Katie said. "I'm going to ask him to be my date to Ash's party."

"Why do you need me to go with you?" Caroline asked. "Em and I are kind of---"

"If you buy me ice cream, I'll go with you too," Emma cut her sister off.

Katie knew having Emma there would be a good ice breaker. "Deal."

Caroline laughed. "Em's easy to bribe."

"I do love ice cream," Emma said with a grin.

Caroline nudged her sister. "Go get your shoes and we'll go."

Emma scrambled for her trainers and the three girls left the house and headed down the beach.

"I can't believe Ash is leaving tomorrow," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"She's lucky," Katie said. "A whole year, travelling... she can go shopping in all those great cities."

"That's what you'd do," Caroline teased.

"You better believe it," Katie said. "I can't wait to get my inheritance."

"Shopping your way across Europe," Caroline said grinning at her.

"I'll have the best fashion of anyone out there," Katie gloated.

"And she's modest too," Caroline said linking her arm with Katie's. They were nowhere near as close as they used to be, but they had made quite a few strides this summer. Caroline had actually liked hanging out with Katie again.

"You know it," Katie said, straightening up as they arrived at the ice cream stand.

Emma looked at Caroline. "I don't know what I want. I think I'm going to try something different!"

Caroline giggled. "Go for it, Em."

Katie groaned as they joined the queue. She did not like waiting.

Emma gave her a look. "I know, Katie. I hate waiting for my food too."

Katie smiled and put an arm around Emma. "I love you, Em."

"Cause I'm totally loveable," Emma said with a grin.

"Absolutely," Katie said catching Bradley's eye. She gave him a wave.

He grinned at her and nodded his head in greeting. Katie liked the way his eyes lingered on her figure.

They finally made it to the front of the queue and Bradley smiled at them. He looked at Emma. "There's my best customer."

Emma laughed. "I want a double scoop today- strawberry and black liquorice!"

Bradley looked at Caroline. "Your little sister is changing things up on me."

"She's a little unpredictable," Caroline joked.

"What can I get for you?" Bradley said smiling at her.

"Just chocolate is fine with me," Caroline glanced over at Katie.

"Me too," Katie said. Caroline gave Katie a little nudge. "We were wondering if you were doing anything tonight," Katie said stepping closer.

Bradley shrugged. "Not really."

Katie grinned and was about to ask him something when she saw his gaze fall on Caroline.
She sucked in a breath. Caroline didn't even realise that Bradley was watching her, and there was no way she was going to bring that to her friend's attention. "Actually," she said.

"My sister is leaving tomorrow for a year long trip, and we're having a little party for her tonight. Want to come?"

He grinned. "Sure. That'd be nice."

"Well," Katie leaned on the counter. "It's a date." Bradley nodded before returning his attention to completing their orders.

Katie grinned. "Mission accomplished," she whispered to Caroline.

"As if he had a chance," Caroline said with a grin.

"Not with me in this bikini he didn't," Katie said in satisfaction.

Emma's mouth was watering as Bradley handed her a cone. "Thank you!"

"That's an interesting combo there," Bradley said. "I'm not brave enough to try it."

"Em eats a lot of things no one would be brave enough to try," Caroline said. "But we love her anyway."

"Wait until you see me in action tonight," Emma said, biting into her cone.

"I look forward to it," Bradley said handing Caroline her ice cream.

"My grandfather is going to barbecue and he's really good at it," Katie told him. "So be there around six."

"I'll be there," Bradley promised. "Thanks for inviting me, Katie."

"I'm really excited about it," Katie touched his hand.

He smiled back at her. "Me, too."

"I personally promise you'll have a good time," Katie said flirtatiously.

"Oh yeah?" Bradley flirted back with her.

"Personally, promise..." Katie repeated, her tone lower.

Emma looked at Caroline. "What's she doing?" she asked, in a whisper.

"Flirting," Caroline whispered back.

Emma giggled. "She's really good at it."

"She's a master at work," Caroline agreed.

"She reminds me of Aunt Frankie," Emma said before taking another bite of her ice cream.
Caroline giggled.

Katie paid for their ice cream and reluctantly stepped aside so Bradley could deal with the other customers.

"I think he's really into you," Caroline said.

"If he's not already, he will be after tonight," Katie promised. She was glad to hear this from Caroline. Even if Bradley fancied Caroline, Caroline was too clueless to recognise it.

Caroline nodded and glanced over at the boy in question. He looked up and she blushed at being caught.

"You have to help me pick something to wear," Katie said to Caroline.

"Okay," Caroline agreed, almost too quickly.

Katie caught the tone in her friend's voice. Apparently, Caroline fancied Bradley, too. But,

Caroline was a good friend and would never go after a boy if she knew her best friend wanted him, Katie thought.

"I'll have to make sure I look my best," Katie said. "I really fancy him a lot."

"You should wear that white sundress you bought the other day," Caroline said thoughtfully. "It looks really nice on you."

"Perfect," Katie said. "I'll straighten my hair- my mum can do a spell- and I'll use some of that new makeup I just bought."

Emma looked curiously at her. "It's just a family dinner, Katie."

Katie looked back at Bradley. "It's more than that now, Em."

"Katie's in lurve," Emma joked.

"Shhh!" Katie said. "I don't want him hearing that!"

Emma giggled. "Sorry."

"Come on," Caroline said. "We can go pick out your dress."

Katie grinned. "Thanks, Caroline."

"Thanks for my ice cream, Katie." Emma said.

"It was my pleasure, Em," Katie said.

"These two are really good together," Emma replied.

Caroline laughed. "I'll take your word for it, Em." The three girls approached the house and

Katie was surprised to see Kevin and her father sitting outside on the patio.

"I wonder what he's doing here," Katie said.

Caroline shrugged. "Dunno."

"Hiya, Kev." Katie said sweetly. "What brings you by?"

He looked like he had not slept much the night before and Katie's heart went out to him.

"Signing some things," Kevin replied.

Katie nodded. "Are you looking forward to your tour?"

"Yeah," Kevin said. "It will be nice to get my mind off of things."

"Katie," Nick said. "We're busy working right now. You can talk to Kevin later."

Katie grinned at her father. "Dad, you know what they say about all work and no play."

Kevin actually smiled. "You're pretty incorrigible, you know."

Katie beamed at him. "I know."

"Katherine," Nick said, more firmly this time.

"Yes, sir," Katie said giving her father a peck on the cheek.

"By the way," she said. "Bradley's joining us for dinner tonight."

"Who?" Nick asked.

"Katie's BOY-friend," Emma sing songed.

"Not yet, but I'm working on it," Katie said nudging Emma.

"Hmm..." Nick said. "I'll talk to your mother about this."

"Daddy, I'm fifteen," Katie pointed out. "And I'll be sixteen before you know it."

"I'll talk to your mother," Nick repeated.

"You let Ashley date Zander when she was thirteen," Katie said without thinking. At the mention of Zander's name, Kevin's face darkened with anger.

"That's enough," Nick said, his tone edgy. "Go inside before you're grounded tonight."

Katie nodded and shot an apologetic look at Kevin.

"You probably shouldn't have brought up Ashley in front of him," Caroline whispered to her.

"I know," Katie said as they walked inside the house. "I wasn't thinking."

"Come on," Caroline said. "Let's go pick out your outfit. You know your parents will let you have Bradley over."

Katie looked out the window at Kevin one last time, feeling bad for what she had said. Someday, Kevin would realise he and Ashley were not meant to be. Katie always thought she would be the one to help him realise that but now she had a bigger fish to catch.

*** *** ***

The sun was just setting and Darla looked out from her bedroom window down at the beach. The long holiday was nearly over and tonight they'd all be saying goodbye to Ashley Malfoy as she started out on her new life.

Darla could not remember being that young---just out of Hogwarts with her old life ahead of her. Her life had not turned out as she had planned. She had never foreseen herself divorced and raising a child.

"Sickle for your thoughts," Liam said, putting his arms around her.

Darla smiled. "They're probably not even worth that much."

"Everything about you is worth a million times that much," Liam countered.

Darla turned around and poked him in the side. "I was just thinking of Ashley Malfoy. I've known her since she was a baby and her whole life is about to begin. She's not waiting for her life to come to her. She's going out into the world."

"I think it's fantastic," Liam nodded. "Who wouldn't want a year long trip around the world?"

"Did you ever do that?" Darla asked. "Take a gap year before you started University?"

"I went right in," Liam shook his head

"Neither did I," Darla said. "But we'll make up for that when we go on our honeymoon."

"Sounds good to me," he kissed the side of her neck.

"I can't wait," Darla said softly, closing her eyes.

"I just wish it was sooner," he said.

Darla smiled as an idea suddenly came to her. "What are we waiting for, Liam? What are we really waiting for?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I don't need a big wedding," Darla said. "That's not important to me."

"It doesn't matter that much to me either," Liam replied.

"Let's get married tonight," Darla said, her eyes gleaming.

"Tonight?" he asked in astonishment.

"Tonight," Darla said. "We could go to one of those all night chapels or a local vicar or...Las Vegas!"

"You want to go to Vegas to elope?" Liam asked, laughing.

"Why not?" Darla asked. "We'd have something to tell our grandchildren someday!"

"What about all the other plans you and Drew made?" he asked.

Darla shook her head. "I still have my dress and all I really want is my close friends and family there."

"Then let's do it," he said with a grin.

Darla grinned. "Really?"

"Yeah," Liam said, his grin matching hers.

Darla gave him a kiss, wrapping her arms tightly around him.

"I love you," Liam said to her when they broke apart.

"I love you too," Darla said happily. "Now, come on! We have loads to do!"

Liam followed Darla downstairs. "What do we do first?

Darla grinned. "You get your suit and tell your brother and your--parents, if you'd like."

Liam's smile dropped. "I'll owl my mum," he said.

Darla touched his cheek. "Whatever you want, Liam." He kissed her cheek and went to send owls.

"Drew!" Darla called out. "Drew!"

Her twin appeared in the doorway. "What's up?"

Darla looked at her. "We have a very important client who has decided to move up her wedding date."

Drew groaned. "Not that blonde--"

Darla shook her head. "Merlin, no. Not her. It's this pretty redhead who's marring a gorgeous healer..."

Drew gaped at her. "You and Liam?"

Darla nodded. "Tonight."

"Are you KIDDING me?" Drew asked.

"I know it's crazy and spontaneous and completely unlike me, but we just figured why wait?" Darla asked.

Drew shook her head but smiled. "What were you thinking? Where do you want to do this?"

"Las Vegas," Darla replied with a grin.

"So cliché," Drew began to laugh. "All right, what do you want me to do?"

"Tell Josh, Jon, Maddie and RJ," Darla said. "And I'll tell Mum and Dad. And help me get ready."

"Okay," Drew squeezed her hand.

"I'm getting mar-ried!" Darla squealed.

Drew laughed. "The sooner the better?"

"Mummy!" Rafe exclaimed coming out of the playroom with Ellie.

"Hi sweetheart," Darla said. "Guess what?"

"What?" Rafe asked looking up at her.

"Me and Liam are getting married tonight," Darla told him. "So we need you to be ready to leave soon okay?"

Ellie clapped her little hands together. "Wedding!"

"When, Mummy?" Rafe asked.

"I'm not sure exactly, but soon," Darla said kneeling down.

"I have to wear the suit?" he asked.

"Just for a little while," Darla promised.

"Okay," Rafe smiled at her.

Darla hugged him. "That's my boy."

"Do you get to wear a pretty dress?" Ellie asked her.

Darla nodded. "I do."

"I love pretty dresses," Ellie said happily.

"You sound just like my Chloe," Drew said.

"What about me?" Chloe asked, coming into the room.

"We like pretty dresses," Ellie said.

"I hate when dresses get dirty," Chloe replied.

Rafe held up his hand. "Like my hands!"

"Eww!" Chloe squealed.

Drew stood in between them. "Okay, okay. No time for this. We have a wedding to plan!"

"Right," Darla nodded. "I've got to get my dress ready. Liam's going to tell his mum and his brother, and Drew, after you tell everyone else, can you help me find a chapel in Vegas?"

"Absolutely," Drew promised.

"Great," Darla said. "I'm going to pop back home to get the dress."

Meanwhile, Liam was just entering his family home. He had Flooed over hoping not to run into his father. But there was no such luck. His mother and father were just sitting down for dinner. Fiona looked at him. "Liam! What a nice surprise!"

Liam didn't look at his father. "Mum, can I have a word in private?"

"Of course," Fiona said, worry etched across her features. "Is something wrong?"

"Not a thing," Liam said.

Fiona led the way into the sitting room. "Liam..."

"I'm getting married tonight," Liam said. "Probably in a few hours. Darla and I decided to elope in Vegas."

Fiona's eyes grew large. "What---tonight?"

He nodded. "Will you and Connor come?"

Fiona smiled. "Of course! I'd---I'd be happy to be there! Oh, Liam!"

Liam smiled. "I'll have Connor come by for you when it's time to go."

"Go where?" Liam's father barked.

"Don't worry about it," Liam said icily. "You aren't invited."

Thomas glared at him and Fiona moved to stand in between them. "Tom, Liam's getting married tonight...and I'm going."

"You are not," Thomas stated.

Fiona looked defiantly at him. "Yes. I. Am. I'm not going to miss my son's wedding."

"If I'm not going anywhere--" Thomas began.

Liam shook his head. "You're unbelievable."

Thomas sneered at him and launched forward, almost losing his balance.

"Thomas!" Fiona exclaimed in horror.

"You are sick," Liam said to his father.

"Dinner's ready," Fiona said to him. "You can eat dinner and listen to the Wireless and I will be home AFTER I see my son get married."

Liam was surprised. His mother had never stood up to his father like this.

Thomas sank into his chair and put his head in his hands. Fiona turned her attention back to Liam. She put her hand on his cheek. "I'm so happy for you and I would not miss this for the world."

"Thanks," he said gratefully.

Liam gave her a hug. "I'll have Conor pick you up soon, Mum."

"I'll be ready," Fiona promised.

Liam grabbed a handful of Floo powder and tossed it into the fireplace. Within a few minutes, he was back at the beach house and found the house a flurry of activity.

"There's the lucky groom," Jon said. "We already told you if you hurt her you die, right?"

Maddie elbowed him. "Jonathan..."

"I got that one already, from all of you," Liam pointed out.

Drew came downstairs carrying a clipboard. "What are you lot standing around for? We have a portkey activating in ten minutes. I expect you all to be dressed and ready." She turned her attention to Liam. "And you! You need to get in your suit and do not forget the ring!"

"Yes ma'am," he saluted.

"Since when do we listen to her?" Jon asked Josh.

"Since now!" Drew barked.

Jon nearly jumped out of his skin. "Merlin's beard, Drew!"

Drew smiled at him.

"Scary," Jon muttered before heading upstairs.

"Get moving," Drew ordered Maddie. "You have to get the flowers."

Maddie nodded. "I'm on it."

Drew headed upstairs to see her sister.

"You look lovely," she told Darla.

"Thanks to you," Darla smiled.

"This is your special day," Drew said. "Your last one... I hope."

"It will be," Darla said. "He makes me so happy and he's good for Rafe."

"He is good to Rafe," Drew agreed as she zipped Darla's dress up the back.

There was a knock on the door and Luna stepped inside. "Oh, Darla!"

"How do I look?" Darla turned around.

"Beautiful," Luna said softly.

Darla grinned. "How's Liam?"

"He's getting ready," Luna said. "And your father is helping with Rafe."

"Great," Darla replied. "I'm nearly ready."

"Can I do anything?" Luna asked.

Darla shook her head. "I'm all set for this."

Luna smiled. "Okay, then."

"I've got the chapel set up and Maddie should be back in just a few minutes with some flowers," Drew said.

Darla nodded. She could not believe this was actually happening. By the end of the night, she would be married.

She momentarily thought of her first wedding, how handsome Hans had looked waiting for her at the end of the aisle. She had been so hopeful and happy then. Darla was happy that she and Hans had managed to stay friends despite the divorce and everything that had happened before it.

She hoped that he would be happy for her when he found out about this. Though he and Liam were not best mates by any stretch of the imagination, they were cordial with each other.

"Mummy," Rafe knocked on the door. "I'm ready!"

Drew opened the door and Darla grinned when she saw her son. He was wearing his suit and he looked so handsome.

"Ellie wants to go too," Rafe's face was turned up in a slight scowl.

"She can't miss her Aunt Ashley's going away dinner," Darla said.

"It's fine with me," Rafe replied.

"We can bring her back a piece of cake," Darla promised.

Rafe smiled. "She'll like that."

Darla took his hand. "You ready?"

"Liam's ready too," Rafe nodded.

Darla shared a look with her sister. "Let's go."

She followed Drew downstairs and her face lit up as she saw her fiancé. He looked so, so handsome in his suit.

"He's speechless," Drew whispered in her ear. "That's always a good sign."

"I think I am too," Darla replied.

"Portkey time," Drew said picking up one of Ron's trainers.

Liam reached over and wove his fingers with Darla's. "Mum and Connor are meeting us there. Drew sent them a portkey as well." Darla knew how much having his mother there meant to him.

"Let's GO," Drew said. "The chapel will only hold our spot for a half hour."

Somehow, they managed to arrive in Las Vegas without incident. "Okay," Drew began giving orders. "Jon, Josh, Maddie, RJ, you go wait with Mum in the chapel with Fiona and Connor. Dad, you stay with us."

Darla linked her arm in Ron's. "I'm sorry you're missing out on the barbecue, Dad."

"That's all right sweetheart," Ron said. "I wouldn't miss this for all the food in the world."

Darla beamed at him. "Thanks, Daddy."

"Okay," Drew handed her sister a bouquet. "Liam's waiting for you... are you ready?"

Darla nodded. "Yes."

"I go first, right?" Rafe asked.

Drew knelt down. "Just walk slow toward Liam."

"Okay," Rafe said, hugging his mother tight around the middle.

Darla felt tears welling up in her eyes. "You want this, too, right? I just want to make sure that you want this."

Rafe nodded. "He loves us a lot."

Darla smiled and touched his cheek. She was so proud of her son. She turned him toward the direction of the altar and he looked down at his feet as he slowly made his way up the aisle.

Liam smiled at his soon to be stepson as Rafe proudly took his place next to him. "Good job," he whispered.

Rafe beamed at him. "Mummy's coming."

They looked up at the same time to see Darla heading down the aisle on Ron's arm. Darla's eyes met Liam and she felt her heart swell. She reached the two of them and released Ron's arm to take Liam's.

"Hi," Darla said softly. Liam smiled at her as they turned to face the priest. It was not the wedding that they had planned, but it was perfect just the same.

*** *** ***