Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We hope that you like tonight's chapter---please read and review! And check at the Orkut group for chapter previews for next week's chapter! And a special shout-out to my co-author, Heaven---Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

Zander was meeting his cousin for breakfast before heading to the Philharmonic. She was back in town for a few days while the band was on a short hiatus from touring. It was nice having her back, but it felt like something was missing from their trio. Ashley. He had not seen her in a few weeks, but she was still very much on his mind.

"Earth to Zander," Brittany said. "I've been waving to you for like twenty minutes..."

"Sorry," Zander said walking over to her and sitting down. She was already nursing a cup of coffee. "Have a lot on my mind."

"I bet I know what you're thinking about," she said.

Zander rolled his eyes. "I am not thinking about highlighting my hair, Brit."

"I still maintain that you'd look good with some blond," Brittany said. "But that's not what I mean."

Zander chuckled. "What do you mean, then?"

"Ashley," she said.

"You turn into a Seer now?" Zander asked, standing up. "I'm going to order."

"You can avoid the topic all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you love her," Brittany said bluntly.

Zander sat back down. "And what brings you to this brilliant conclusion, Brit? I told you to stay out of my love life. I'm---I'm trying to move on."

"How?" she asked.

Zander shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Um..."

"Did you know Kevin asked Ashley for another chance when we were in Rome?" Brittany asked. "And she turned him down."

Zander had not known this. He was a little angry that he was just finding out about this now, but then again, what did it matter. Just because she turned Kevin down, did not mean much. "So?" Zander asked trying too hard to sound like he did not care.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Do I have to spell it out for you? She turned him down because she has feelings for YOU!"

Zander folded his arms. "And she told you this?"

"Kind of," Brittany said. "That night you shut the door in her face."

Zander shook his head. "That was months ago, Brit."

Brittany sighed heavily. "Are you KIDDING me?"

"If she felt that way months ago, what makes you so sure she feels that way now?" Zander asked.

"Why wouldn't she?" Brittany was exasperated. "If she wasn't interested in you anymore she wouldn't have turned Kevin down!"

Zander narrowed his eyes at her. "This isn't some trick on your part, is it?"

"Why would I do that?" she asked

"Trying to play matchmaker?" Zander asked with a shrug. "Look, I don't know. I do know that I have a long day today and I should probably grab my coffee to go and head to work…"

"Fine," Brittany said. "But you're a moron if you don't go look for her and tell her how you feel."

Zander stood up again. "I'll see you around, Brit."

"I'll see you at dinner later," Brittany said. "My folks invited all of you over."

Zander decided to forego the coffee and head straight for work. It was just what he needed to get his mind off of Ashley. Damn Brittany, Zander thought to himself. Trying to make him think he had a chance when for all he knew, Ashley was snogging some bloke on her art tour. But Brittany wasn't the vicious sort. She wouldn't send him on a wild goose chase if she didn't believe that Ashley had feelings for him as well.

Zander sighed and saw the Philharmonic's office straight ahead. He had no time for this. Today was a big day and perhaps he would talk about this with Ashley when she came home for Christmas hols.

He stopped in the middle of the pavement. He could either go in to work and live his life as he did any other day, or he could do something about Ashley.

He found himself turning around and heading toward an alley where he could Apparate. It was still quite early and he hoped he would not wake up Ashley's parents. But, he had no clue where she was at the moment and hehoped they would be able to help. Zander pounded on the door.

Nick came and answered it a few moments later. "Zander?" he asked. "What brings you by?"

"I'm sorry that it's so early," Zander apologised. "But, I needed to know where Ashley is...right now."

"She's in Vienna for the next few days," Nick replied.

Zander nodded. "Do you know where they're staying?"

"Uh... I think we have it written down somewhere," Nick said. "Why don't you come in?"

"Thanks, Mr. Malfoy," Zander said gratefully. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him. "It's not an emergency or anything. I just---I have to tell her something that's long overdue."

Nick gave him a knowing look. "Come on. We have her itinerary in the kitchen."

Zander followed Ashley's father and watched as the older man pulled a piece of paper from the refrigerator. "It's the Grand Hotel Wien," Nick said, writing down the name and address for him.

"Thanks," Zander said, taking the piece of parchment. "I really appreciate it."

"Good luck," Nick said.

"Thank you sir," Zander replied. "I may need it."

Zander pocketed the paper and said a quick goodbye to Ashley's father. He had no idea what he was going to do or say when he saw Ashley, but he had a feeling it would all come to him the moment he saw her.

He got to Vienna and was able to locate her hotel. Perhaps her group hadn't yet left for the day and he would catch her.

The woman at the front desk smiled warmly at him. "Hallo, Guten Morgen."

"Uh... hi..." Zander mumbled. "Um... can you tell me what room Ashley Malfoy is staying in?"

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, sir. We aren't allowed to give out that information."

"Can you just ring her for me then?" he asked.

"Very well," the woman said, tapping at the keyboard. Zander watched expectantly as the woman picked up the telephone.

"Sorry," the woman offered. "No answer."

Zander frowned. "She's with a group. Art students. Do you know if they've left for the day?"

"I just came on duty," the woman said. "Let me ask..."

"Thank you," Zander said.

The woman came back after a moment. "They left two hours ago," she reported. "I'm sorry, sir."

Zander wanted to laugh. "Of course they did."

"Did you need a room?" she asked.

Zander thought for a moment. "Um, yes."

The woman booked him into a room and Zander stuffed the key into his pocket as he left. He had no idea where a group of artists would have gone to draw.

Zander looked around the beautiful city and decided he would just start walking. He spent the entire day walking around parks, churches and other interesting buildings. It was frustrating and he hoped he hadn't missed her if she had gone back to the hotel and then left again.

While Zander contemplated his next move, the object of his search was putting away her sketch book and pencils. Ashley shivered in the cold. She was ready to go back to the hotel and perhaps order room service. It had been a long, but productive day. She had some amazing sketches.

Her work was not up its usual standard though. Ashley usually found more passion in her art but today they were simply sketches. Part of her felt empty and she knew why.

She had not seen or heard from him, but he was always on her mind.

"Malfoy," a voice drawled. "Why so down? We're in this amazing city..."

Ashley turned. "Henry, for the last time, I am not going out with you guys tonight."

"Why not?" he pouted. "We're not ONLY going to those clubs you know...."

Ashley laughed. "Oh? Where else are you going then?"

Henry was silent a moment. "Okay, maybe we are... but at least you won't have to worry about anyone hitting on you."

"And that's a plus how?" one of girls chimed in. "Oh, that's right. We can watch all the blokes hitting on you."

"Well I AM gorgeous," Henry struck a pose, making them all laugh.

"And oh so modest," Ashley teased.

Henry slung an arm around her. "Malfoy, when you've got it, you flaunt it."

Ashley looked up at him. "Is that so?"

"You know it," he said flippantly.

Ashley laughed and looked down at the city streets below them. "I don't know if Austria can handle---"

"What is it?" Henry asked when she stopped talking.

Ashley had locked eyes with a man on the street and she blinked her eyes to make sure it wasn't just a vision. "Zander?" she asked, more to herself than anyone.

Henry laughed and kissed the top of Ashley's head. "My poor delusional friend. I thought we'd decided to put him behind us..."

"No!" Ashley said. "Zander's here!"

He glowered up at her and Ashley wondered why he was so---angry. To her dismay, he turned and started walking away. She grabbed her bag. "I-I'll catch up to you guys at the hotel..."

She rushed downstairs and hurried after him. "Zander!"

He kept walking and Ashley ran to catch up. "Zander Murray!"

Zander just shook his head and sped up.

"Zander, please!" Ashley called out. "Wait!"

"Why?" He asked. "I can't do this anymore, Ash."

Ashley finally caught up to him and grabbed his arm. "Do what? Why are you here?"

"It doesn't matter," he replied.

Ashley shook her head. "Of course it does if it brought you all the way here."

"I was wrong about something," he said. "Again."

Ashley raised an eyebrow. She was completely lost. "Zander, it's been a really long day and all I know is I was up on the roof packing my things and the next thing I know, I see you looking up at me."

Zander looked over at her. "I came to find you... and tell you..."

"Tell me what?" Ashley asked softly. "Zander?"

Zander stared at her for a long moment.

"Zander, you're starting to scare--" Ashley started to say, but her words were cut off when he suddenly pulled her to him and kissed her.

He hadn't known what else to do. Kissing her seemed like the most logical solution and he was overjoyed when she slid her arms around him.

Ashley kissed him back just as fervently. He could not believe this was happening.

"Zander," she pulled away breathlessly. "I love you."

Zander gave her a grin. "That's my line."

"I'm just a bit quicker," Ashley retorted playfully.

Zander kissed her again. "I'm finally catching up. I love you too, Ashley."

She pulled him close and pressed her lips to his. "How did you find me?"

"Your dad," Zander said in between kisses. "He gave me your itinerary."

"Oh," she said softly. "Zander... I'm so happy you're here. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you."

"What about that bloke you were with just now?" Zander asked.

"Who?" she asked. "You mean Henry?"

Zander shrugged. "Yeah, I suppose."

Ashley shook her head. "Trust me when I say you are far more his type than I am."

"Oh," Zander said, his eyes growing large. "Oh---so there's nothing there, then. I'm such an idiot."

"Stop saying bad things about the bloke I love," Ashley said. "He's amazing."

Zander rested his forehead against hers. "You can't know how long I've wanted to say this to you."

"We've had too many missed chances," Ashley agreed.

Zander nodded and told her how he had spent the entire day, walking the streets of Vienna looking for any sign of her.

"You went all over the place?" she asked incredulously.

"A man on a mission," Zander said. "I came all this way. I was about to give up when I looked up and there you were."

"Like it was meant to be," Ashley said softly. "I can't believe this... finally."

"Finally," Zander said smiling down at her.

Ashley kissed him again, not caring that they were in the middle of a crowded street. The only person that mattered at that moment was the boy holding her so tightly. She never wanted him to let go.

"How long are you here?" she managed to ask.

Zander laughed. "I'm not really sure. This was a spur of the moment decision. I booked a room at your hotel."

"So you're at least staying tonight," Ashley said with a grin.

Zander grinned back at her. "Well..."

"You wouldn't have come all this way otherwise..."

Zander gave her another kiss. "I just wanted to hear you say you wanted me to stay."

"I always want you to stay," Ashley said, closing her eyes as he touched his forehead to hers.

"What do you want to do first?" Zander asked.

"I don't know," she confessed. "We can go back and drop our things off then head out somewhere."

"I'm actually starving," Zander said. "I haven't eaten anything all day."

"There's a good place to eat just by the hotel," Ashley took his hand.

"Perfect," Zander said giving her hand a squeeze. She laughed as he picked her up and swung her around.

"I'm so glad you're here!" Ashley exclaimed.

"I'm glad you stopped me," Zander grinned at her.

He set her down and they headed toward the hotel. Ashley told him about some of the places she had seen.

"I'm absolutely mad about this city," she said. "I can see myself living here someday."

"Really?" Zander asked.

"Yeah," she nodded. "It fits me..."

Zander had thought that very same thing when he had walked the city streets. The city was perfect for her and while he hated the idea of them being apart, he would never dream of holding her back.

"We did a walking tour," Ashley said. "There are a few really neat places I can show you."

"I'm in your hands," Zander said with a grin.

"Yes you are," Ashley said, stopping to kiss him again.

"Brit's going to take complete credit for this," Zander said.

"I know," Ashley said ruefully. "But if it weren't for her pushing..."

Zander shook his head. "We're going to hear 'I told you so' about six-hundred times."

"We can tune her out," Ashley joked. "Or we can just snog..."

"I like that," Zander said as they entered the hotel. "Merlin knows she put us through it enough with her boyfriends."

Ashley laughed. "Come on..."

Zander did not let go of her hand while they waited for the lift. He had so much to tell her and to ask her, but he knew they had all night.

"The pub is just this way," Ashley said after she had dropped her things off and they were back on the street.. "We ate here last night."

"Sounds good," Zander said.

Ashley waited until they were in a booth together and she leaned against him. "This feels like a dream," she said.

Zander nodded. "I nearly told you that day at the hospital when we visited your grandfather, but I didn't think that was a good time."

Ashley nodded. "You're right."

"And of course that night in Brighton," Zander said shaking his head. "I saw you with Kevin and I thought you were together."

Ashley shook her head. "We had just broken up.... and that's why I had come to see you."

"And I was such a great guy to you," Zander said. "Slamming the door in your face. I'm sorry about that, Ash."

"It's all water under the bridge," Ashley said, kissing him. "None of that matters anymore."

Zander nodded. "It was supposed to happen here. It was supposed to happen like this."

Ashley kissed him again. She didn't care that they were in a public place.

"I didn't even ask you about your internship," Ashley asked after they had ordered. "How is that going?"

He looked at her sheepishly. "I sort of blew it off today to come find you."

Ashley gaped at him. "Zander!"

"I had to come find you," Zander said.

Ashley frowned. "But this is your career, Zander."

"I'll smooth things over when I go back," he said. "I'll find a way."

"I'll talk to them too," Ashley said. "We can tell them it was an emergency."

"I'll work it out," Zander shook his head.

"Well, before you ran out, how was the internship going?" Ashley asked.

"Good," he replied. "I'm learning a lot. And the other day, we had some real composers there."

Ashley grinned. "One day, some intern will be saying the same about you."

"I hope so," he said. "I really, really hope so. I've already written some new stuff."

Ashley beamed at him. "You have?"

"Next time you're home I'll play it for you," he said.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Ashley said. "I love listening to your music. I still listen to that first song you wrote for me."

"Still the best piece I ever did." he told her softly.

Ashley smiled.

"Something tells me I'm going to be more inspired than ever now..." he said, leaning in.

"Oh am I your Muse now?" Ashley asked.

"Do you wear a slinky dress if you're a muse?" he asked.

Ashley poked him in the ribs. "Zander..."

"You'd look good in a slinky dress," Zander replied.

"I don't own any slinky dresses," Ashley said. "That would be the other Malfoy sister."

"You can borrow hers then," he said, earning himself another poke.

"Very funny, Murray," Ashley said.

Zander kissed her again. "You look good in anything, Malfoy."

They enjoyed their meal, catching up on everything in their lives. Ashley confided to him about how worried she was about her grandfather.

"I heard he's still not walking or able to do magic," Zander said. "That's got to be rough."

Ashley nodded. "He's getting the magic back a little now. But it's hard. "

"After being able to use magic all these years I know I'd feel strange without it," Zander agreed.

"He told my mum it feels like a part of him has been amputated," Ashley said. "All my life, I saw him as someone who could do anything."

"When he recovers from this, you'll still think that," Zander said.

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "He will recover from this. I know he will."

"Of course he will," Zander reassured her.

Ashley smiled. "Let's get out of here. I still have to give you that walking tour."

They finished their meals then hurried outside. "Over here," Ashley pointed. "That church... you should see the inside."

"Lead the way," Zander said.

"They've closed for the day," Ashley realised in dismay.

"There's always tomorrow," Zander said squeezing her hand.

"Come on," Ashley said. "Let's go to the park over here."

Zander grinned. She could suggest going to the moon right now and he would not deny her.

"It's... nice and dark," she said with a grin.

"Oh, you want to get me alone to have your way with me," Zander teased.

"Hmm," Ashley said. "I don't need a dark corner for that..."

"She thinks I'm easy," Zander said grabbing his chest. "I'm hurt."

"Not easy," Ashley pressed herself to him. "Just... as eager as I am."

Zander gave her a kiss. "Mmmhmm."

"I love you," she said between kisses.

"I love you," Zander said softly.

"What are we going to do for the next year?" she asked.

Zander had known this conversation was coming. "Long distance relationships don't always have the best track record, do they?"

"I think if anyone can make it work, we could." she said.

Zander nodded. "I want to make this work. I can see us going to the distance, Ash."

"Me too," she said, winding her arms around his middle. "I don't see this ending. I don't want it to ever end."

"So, you'll go on with your tour and I'll hopefully still have my internship," Zander said.

Ashley nodded. "And when I come home..."

"What will happen?" Zander asked.

"We'll be together," Ashley said.

Zander smiled. "Unless you meet some Italian bloke..."

"Bet he won't be as cute as you," Ashley said flirtatiously.

"Obviously not," Zander said putting his arm around her.

Ashley pulled him close and kissed him. She could not have asked for more than being in a city she loved with the boy she had loved all this time. They walked around the park, just enjoying each other's company. It was quite cold out, but Ashley did not mind.

They finally headed back to the hotel around two in the morning. "I guess this is good night," she said reluctantly.

Zander nodded and reached into his pocket for the key card. "Room 323 is calling my name."

Ashley nodded. "I'll ring you in the morning for breakfast..."

Zander kissed her good night. "Thanks for the amazing night."

"Been the best night of my life," Ashley said softly.

"There you go stealing my lines again," Zander teased, touching her cheek. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Okay," Ashley said. "I love you, Zander."

"I love you," Zander said giving her one last kiss.

Ashley watched him go before letting herself into her own room.

She closed the door behind her and leaned against the door. Had this all really just happened? They were finally together- in the same place at the same time. It had taken long enough. Brittany would definitely want details and Ashley would have to thank her for sending Zander.

She went through the motions of getting ready for bed. Pulling her nightgown on, she thought about Zander, just one floor below her. She wanted to go down there just to make sure he was really there. Who was she kidding? She knew why she wanted to go down there.

Zander had just gotten into bed and turned the telly on when he heard a knock at the door.

He pulled back the covers and stood up. He peered into the peep hole and smiled when he saw just what was waiting outside his door. He opened the door with a smile on his face. "Hey..."

"Hi," Ashley twisted her hands together nervously. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Zander said, standing back so she could enter.

Now that she was there, she didn't know what to say or do. "I um... I just..."

"What?" Zander asked. "Is something wrong?"

"No," she said. "Nothing's wrong."

"Do you want to sit down?" Zander asked.

"No," Ashley said, coming towards him. "I came down here because... I don't want to waste any more time."

Zander smiled. "You don't?"

Ashley slid her arms around his neck and kissed him.

Zander pulled her close and deepened the kiss.

"Mmmm," Ashley murmured. "I'm not leaving tonight..."

It dawned on Zander what Ashley meant and he pulled away for a moment. "You mean--- you want to, that you and I would..."

"More than anything," she said her eyes half lidded.

Zander rested his forehead against hers. "You're sure?"

Ashley nodded. "Never been more sure of anything in my life."

Zander kissed her again. "Me too."

Ashley pushed him back towards the bed. She ran her fingers through his hair as they kissed again. She tugged on his t-shirt and they broke their kiss so she could lift it over his head. Zander didn't work out a lot but he was pretty fit, she noticed as she ran her hands over his shoulders.

"Pasty Englishman," Zander joked.

"You look good to me," she said softly as he ran his hands up her sides, taking her nightgown with.

"And you're more beautiful than I ever imagined," Zander whispered.

"So you've thought about this?" she asked.

"Since I was fifteen," Zander admitted with a grin.

Ashley laughed. "You got a bit of a head start on me."

"Well, I'm a bloke and I've fancied you almost since the moment we met," Zander said.

"You've always been my best friend and now you're so much more," she told him. "I can't imagine my life without you in it."

Zander leaned in and kissed her. "I feel the same way about you, Ash."

Ashley pushed him onto the bed, and crawled on top of him.

Zander pulled her to him for a long, lingering kiss. After all this time, he could not believe this was going to happen.

"I already protected myself," Ashley whispered in his ear. "So we have nothing to worry about."

"You think of everything," Zander said huskily.

Ashley smiled as she eased his boxer shorts down.

There was a small part of her that was unsure of what to do and nervous, but the look in his eyes, told her she had no reason to worry. He loved her just as much as she loved him.

They kissed again and she arched her back as he moved on top of her.

"Ashley," Zander whispered against her skin.

She made a noise deep in her throat as he cupped her breast in his hand while his other fumbled for the clasp of her bra. He finally managed to free her and he tossed it over his shoulder.

She laughed. "Finally."

"You're beautiful, Ash," Zander said. "Absolutely beautiful."

She smiled at him, feeling bolstered by his compliments. Ashley pulled him back to her, moving his hands where she wanted them.

Desire radiated through every pore of her body and she could feel his erection pressing against her.

Their kissing grew more frenzied and passionate as they shed the remainder of their clothing and pressed their bodies together under the cool sheets.

"Zander," Ashley said closing her eyes.

He couldn't even speak. He raised himself up on his arms and looked down at her.

Ashley smiled. "Yes?"

"I don't want to hurt you," Zander said.

"Its okay," Ashley reassured him. "Just---just go slow."

Zander nodded and began to press himself into her.

"Alright?" Zander asked softly.

"So far so good," she managed breathlessly.

Zander kissed her. "Good..."

Ashley pulled in a breath as Zander buried himself deep inside her. The initial pain that she felt melted away as they moved together. Ashley closed her eyes and wrapped her legs around his thighs. Ashley felt beads of sweat form on her forehead as Zander kissed her again.

"Please," Ashley whispered.

Zander let out a moan as he pushed again. Ashley's body went rigid and she cried out his name.

He collapsed on top of her, trying to catch his breath.

"Oh Merlin...." Ashley said. "Zander..."

He rolled over onto his back and nodded. "Yeah..."

"I can't believe we just did that," she said, a smile spreading across her face.

Zander turned and shot her a lazy grin. "We did."

Ashley moved over to lie against him and their legs tangled together. "It was perfect."

Zander kissed her bare shoulder. "It was."

"Can we just stay here?" she asked. "Never move again?"

"I like that idea," Zander said with a grin.

Ashley kissed him again, letting her lips trail over his.

"Vienna is now my favourite city in the world," Zander said. "Hands down."

Ashley laughed. "It already was mine too now, but even more so."

"It was my first time too," Zander admitted.

"I thought you and Debra--" Ashley began.

Zander shook his head. "We didn't."

"I'm glad," Ashley said. "I mean... we had our first kiss together..."

"First date," Zander added.

Ashley laughed. "We're just full of each other's firsts."

"Yes," Zander said, as Ashley rested her head on his chest.

"I'm so glad it's you," she murmured. "So glad it's always been you."

"Me too," Zander said kissing the top of her head.

"We're drawing again tomorrow," Ashley said. "But you can sit with the group if you want..."

"I don't want to be in the way or get you into any trouble," Zander said.

"You wouldn't," Ashley replied.

Zander smiled. "After I call work and see if I still have a place."

"Of course," she said. "They'd be fools to let you go."

"You might be a little biased," Zander said.

"A lot biased," Ashley corrected with a grin. "But I know how amazing you are."

Zander tickled her. "I like hearing that."

Ashley laughed. "I'm good for your ego."

They were both silent for a few moments and Zander wondered if she had fallen asleep.

"What a waste of a room," Ashley said a few minutes later.

"What?" Zander asked.

"If I'd known you were coming I would have told you to stay in my room," she said. "Sorry... it was a dumb thing to say."

"No," Zander reassured her. "It was last minute and I didn't know if you would be back and they wouldn't tell me your room number so I booked a room just in case."

"I guess it doesn't really matter," Ashley said, tracing a pattern over his chest with her index finger.

Zander smiled and ran his hand through her hair. Ashley felt herself drifting off to sleep. "Sleep," Zander said softly, his arms still around her. "I'll still be here in the morning."

"I know," she said softly.

Zander closed his eyes. "Hey, Ash? I love you."

"I love you too," she sighed before drifting off.

*** *** ***