Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter brings us back to H/Hr AND for those wanting to see more Ashley/Zander, you get your wish as those two toy with Brittany.

Please read and review!

Harry's attitude over the next few weeks did not improve as he struggled to regain his ability to feel his legs and try to walk again. His progress was not going as fast as he wanted and he increasingly took his frustrations out on his wife.

He finished his therapy session and after seeing his therapist out, he wheeled into the kitchen to find Hermione cooking. "What's all this?" he asked. "It's just the two of us..."

"I invited Ron and Luna over for dinner," Hermione answered. "I thought it might be a nice change."

Harry sighed. The last thing he wanted was to entertain people when all he wanted to do was work on his exercises.

"They want to see you," Hermione looked over at her husband.

Harry opened the icebox and grabbed a bottle of beer. "I don't much feel like it Hermione."

"They're on the way already," Hermione replied.

Harry glared at her. "You know, it would help if you'd ask me these things before you just decide for me."

"I thought it would be a nice surprise," Hermione said tightly, turning back to the stove.

Harry did not reply, taking a long pull on his beer.

Hermione sighed as she pulled a pan of chicken casserole out of the oven. "Why don't you go clean yourself up?" she suggested.

"Fine," Harry replied tersely.

"I left a nice shirt and trousers on the bed," Hermione added.

Harry set his bottle down and wheeled out of the kitchen, leaving a bewildered Hermione staring after him. She wondered if he knew how much what he was doing hurt. She was only trying to help, but everything she said or did seemed to come out wrong.

She stood up straight and composed herself as she heard the fireplace whoosh to life. No sense in letting anyone else find out how Harry had been treating her as of late.

"Hi!" Hermione said warmly to her friends. She noticed that Ron was carrying a pie. "You didn't have to bring anything!"

"You're lucky this made it here intact," Luna joked.

Hermione took it from Ron. "Let me guess, you made another one that you already ate?"

"You win," Luna hugged her husband around the middle. "He just couldn't resist."

"I'm right here, you know," Ron said with a grin. "You ladies are going to give me a complex."

Hermione laughed. "Here Ron. You can taste test this." she handed him a bite of casserole.

Ron eagerly took the bite and his grin spread across his face. "Mmmm...."

"There's more where that came from," Hermione handed him a piece.

Ron gave her a hug. "That's a good girl!"

Hermione laughed and instantly felt better. It was good to be around friends again.

"Where's Harry?" Ron asked.

"He's getting changed," Hermione answered.

"Well, it's about time," Ron quipped. "I've been waiting for him to change since we were eleven."

Hermione gave him a quizzical look.

"Don't mind him," Luna said, nudging her husband. "He gets loopy when he's hungry."

"I'll go in and see what I can do to help him," Hermione said. "Why don't you both go in and make yourselves something to drink?"

"Sure," Luna said.

Hermione went into the bedroom. "Hey," she said, "Can I help you with that shirt?"

Harry shrugged.

"You got your trousers on," Hermione noted. "That's great, Harry. You're really regaining some of your strength."

"The therapy session went really well today," Harry replied quietly.

"Good,"Hermione encouraged. "I'm so proud of--"

Harry pushed his chair out of her way. "Let's get this over with."

Hermione sighed and ran her hands back through her hair. She forced a smile onto her face and followed her husband into the sitting room.

"Alright, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Great," Harry said edgily.

Luna looked at Hermione. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"I've got the table set up, but if you'd like to help me bring in the food," Hermione suggested.

"How about getting me a drink?" Harry asked his wife sarcastically.

Luna noticed Hermione bristle at his tone. "I--I'll get it, Hermione," Luna said.

"Hermione will get it," Harry said sharply.

Ron laughed, thinking his friend was joking. "Harry, you have a death wish?"

"I already died," Harry stated coldly. "Remember?"

"Well, aren't you just a ray of sunshine," Ron grumbled.

"It's all right," Hermione said. "Harry, what would you like?"

"Another beer," Harry replied.

Hermione nodded. "Coming right up," she touched his shoulder as she passed by him.

Ron watched his friend. "You got the whole mountain man thing going, don't you? I've never seen you with a beard."

"It's hard to shave when I can't see the bloody mirror," Harry grumbled.

Ron raised an eyebrow. "So, it was really nice of you to invite us over. It's been awhile."

"I had no idea you were coming until a few minutes ago," Harry replied. "Hermione sort of sprang this on me. I wanted to work with my therapist more."

"The cottage is nice," Ron said looking around. "Brings back some old memories."

"I guess," Harry shrugged. "It's easier to get around in here."

Ron started telling Harry about things that were happening at his shop but Harry barely heard a word. He kept concentrating on trying to move his legs, his toes, anything below his waist. He also tried focusing his emotions towards wandless magic.

"What's with the attitude?" Ron asked.

"What?" Harry snapped.

"You," Ron replied. "Ordering Hermione around? You--looking like you want to punch someone's lights out. It's almost---Oh....Oh...I get it!"

Harry glared at him.

"You're not getting any!" Ron exclaimed, a grin spreading across his face. "That's it, isn't it? Merlin, you and Hermione haven't gone ---"

"For Merlin's sake!" Harry shouted.

Luna and Hermione hurried into the sitting room. "What's wrong?" Hermione asked.

"Harry's in a bad mood because he's dead below the waist," Ron said triumphantly. "He's no longer the Rabbit King--"

"RONALD!" Luna exclaimed, an expression of horror on her face.

"Because shagging is at the top of my bloody list right now," Harry said his tone dangerous.

"Um, dinner's ready," Hermione said uncomfortably.

Harry wheeled out of the room wordlessly, nearly running over Ron's feet.

"Ronald, how could you!" Luna hissed.

"What?" he asked.

"I doubt you'll be able to eat with your foot planted solidly in your mouth!" Luna exclaimed.

"Please don't say anything about him being paralysed," Hermione said softly. "He's taking this so hard--"

"What about you?" Ron asked. "What was with him ordering you around like that?"

"It's not a big deal," Hermione argued.

Ron watched in disbelief as Hermione hurried into the kitchen after her husband. Ron looked at Luna. "Who are those people?" he asked her incredulously.

"Just watch what you say," Luna told him. "Harry's been through a very traumatic situation and he and Hermione are just trying to deal with it."

"Okay," Ron said with a sigh.

Luna gave him a kiss. "Thank you, Ronald."

Ron grinned and took her hand. "Let's eat."

"About time," Harry grumbled when they walked in.

Ron ignored his friend and took his seat.

Hermione filled everyone's plates and Harry didn't even look up as he began to eat.

"This is delicious," Luna tried to make conversation. "Hermione, you turned out to be such a good cook."

Hermione smiled. "Thanks. I'm getting a lot of practise at it these days since I took some time off."

"The Minister, the domesticated." Ron joked.

Hermione laughed. "Don't tell anyone!"

"Who would believe me?" Ron asked, helping himself to more casserole. "Hey Harry, can you pass the bread, mate?"

Harry practically shoved the basket at Ron.

"Harry," Hermione frowned. "He didn't ask anything difficult of you."

"It's fine," Ron said hastily.

"Good," Harry grunted as he finished his casserole.

"Luna, Saffron told me that Alexa might write some stories for you," Hermione said, changing the subject.

Luna nodded. "Saffron of course was ecstatic with the idea."

"She's missed Alexa so much," Hermione said. "And Ellie and Edward have loved having Aunt Lexie around."

"I was surprised to hear she'd gotten married," Luna said.

"Me too," Hermione said. "But it's so romantic!"

Ron and Harry rolled their eyes at each other.

"Oh, you two!" Luna teased.

"You two don't need to get into all that mushy rubbish in front of us," Ron complained. "Right Harry?"

For a moment, Hermione saw the warmth in her husband's eyes. She had not seen it in quite some time. Impulsively, she leaned over and squeezed his hand in hers.

"I thought we'd have to elope for a moment there," Hermione said smiling at him.

"We were sort of touch and go at first," Harry nodded, his back straight in his chair.

"And her dad wanted your head on a platter," Ron said before helping himself to another roll.

"Those were such easy days," Hermione said wistfully.

Harry withdrew his hand. "Yes, well..."

Hermione sighed as she watched Harry's wall slide back up.

"How are things at headquarters?" Ron asked Harry. "We never see Neville anymore it seems."

"How would I know?" Harry asked.

"Well, I just thought that you'd been in touch with Ethan or Nev," Ron explained.

"Harry hasn't really been keeping up with Auror business," Hermione interjected. "He's focused on getting his mobility and magic levels back."

"Of course," Luna said. "And how's your therapy going, Harry?"

"Not fast enough," Harry said. "I still can't move."

"You know, I was just reading up on holistic therapy," Luna said conversationally. "I could bring over some of my crystals...."

"No," Harry interrupted.

"She's really brilliant," Ron said to Harry.

"No" Harry said again.

Hermione looked apologetically at Luna. "We appreciate your offer, Luna, but Harry's healers have him on a tight program. But, it's awfully nice of you to offer."

"Of course," Luna murmured. "If you'd ever like to try, let me know."

They finished their meal and Harry contributed very little to the conversation. He excused himself and declined dessert. He wanted to work on his exercises before bed. Without so much as a goodbye to Ron and Luna, he left the room. Hermione put her head in her hands.

Luna put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "Hermione--"

"I'm sorry," Hermione replied looking up at her. "He doesn't---he doesn't mean to be rude."

"It's not an excuse," Ron said bluntly. "We're all sorry for what's happened to him but he shouldn't be treating you like this."

"Ronald's right," Luna said gently.

"You two haven't been around him--" Hermione tried to defend her husband.

"I think we were able to get a really good idea of how he's been," Ron said. "Hermione, he hates appearing weak and so he's acting out and taking it out on you---the person that loves him most of all."

Luna looked at her husband in surprise. "Ronald, that's ---that's really profound."

"It is," Hermione said in awe. "And... you're totally right."

Ron puffed out his chest. "I never thought I'd hear that from you."

"Never thought I'd say it," Hermione sat back in her chair. "I've been avoiding being here as much as I can."

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Luna asked.

"I don't know," Hermione replied, rubbing at her forehead.

Luna gave her a hug. "He should not treat you like this, Hermione. You know that."

"I don't know how I would be if I couldn't walk or do magic," Hermione made excuse.

"None of us do, but you have to tell him how much it hurts when he treats you like that," Luna said softly.

"He doesn't want to listen," Hermione's eyes were swimming with tears. "It's like he can't even bear to look at me, and I don't know what I did wrong."

"Nothing," Luna said hugging her tightly. "You did nothing wrong."

Hermione wiped at her eyes. "I can't break through to him."

Ron slipped out of the room and headed to the office that they had converted into Harry's therapy room. Harry had lifted himself out of his chair and was supporting his weight on a set of bars. He was sweating profusely and concentrating with all his might. Ron watched his friend struggle.

Harry gripped the bars. "Stand, damn you, stand." he muttered.

"Need some help?" Ron asked, startling him.

"Damn it!" Harry cursed as he fell back into his chair.

"Sorry," Ron replied, leaning against the doorframe.

Harry wiped his face off with a towel. "What do you want?"

"See if I could knock some sense into you," Ron replied bluntly. "Your wife's in the kitchen crying."

Harry gazed in the direction of the kitchen and momentarily felt an overwhelming sense of guilt settle over him.

"Why are you treating her like that, Harry?" Ron asked.

"What's it to you?" Harry responded shortly.

"You're my best friend," Ron replied as if the answer should be obvious. "And she's the best thing that ever happened to you."

"I know that," Harry said irritably. "We're fine."

"Really?" Ron asked sarcastically.

Harry gave him a frosty look. "I'm busy."

"Of course," Ron said holding up his hands. "But, watch you don't push too hard, Harry. You just might push her and everyone that loves you away."

"Hermione's not going to leave me," Harry told him.

"Keep telling yourself that," Ron said giving him one last look before leaving.

Harry sat there staring at the doorway for a few moments after Ron disappeared. He heard them leaving through the Floo network.

Hermione came into the room a few minutes later with a tray of tea. "I brought you a slice of pie," she said softly.

"Thanks," Harry said quietly.

Hermione nodded and set the tray down on the desk. "I'll be reading if you need me."

"All right," Harry replied looking up at her face. Her eyes were red and he could see that she had been crying. He again felt guilty. He loved his wife. But she didn't know how he felt, sitting in this chair day in and day out. She didn't know what it felt like to feel magic at his fingertips but not be able to use any of it.

"If you need me, let me know," Hermione said.

"Okay," Harry replied. "Thanks, Hermione."

"Of course," Hermione said, before walking out of the room.

Harry drank some of the tea and ate a few bites of pie before going back to the bars.

He was doing this for her and for his children. They did not look at him the same way they used to since he was in that bloody chair. He wanted to be the husband and father that he used to be.

Harry pulled himself out of the chair and he willed his leg to move forward.

Tentatively, he took a step.

"Yes!" he breathed as he slowly shuffled his other leg forward.

He was walking, Harry thought with a grin spreading across his face. True, he was helped by the bars, but he was able to move his legs!

"Hermione!" he shouted. "Hermione!" He expected his wife to come right in, but she didn't.

"Hermione!" he shouted again.

She still didn't come in and Harry made his way back to his chair and out to the bedroom where he saw a note from her.

- Harry, I've gone back to the mansion to get a few things done. I'll be back soon. Hermione-

He crumpled the note into a ball and threw it across the room. She had left him! She'd gone out and hadn't even told him she was leaving.

All he wanted was for her to be here to support him. He wheeled himself into the loo and took a hot shower. His arms were sore and so was his lower back.

He had pushed himself further than he ever had today and he felt it.

Harry knew he was well on his way back to walking and hopefully soon his magic levels would be back to normal as well.

Things with Hermione though were on a different level. But, he brushed away those concerns. It hurt that she had abandoned him tonight, but he would just surprise her with his progress when she came home.

*** *** ***

Brittany had been on a whirlwind pace travelling with Kevin's band. They were in a different city almost every night. She was staying in some of the most posh hotels in Europe and had met some incredible people. As the only girl on the tour, the boys treated her like a kid sister and she loved every moment of it. But, she had missed her two best friends and she had made a vow to stay out of their strange friendship-relationship. If they could not see how perfect they were together, it was their loss. Brittany was tired of trying to knock some sense into them.

She had not seen Ashley for weeks and she had only spoken to Zander through owl post. Apparently he was working hard at the Philharmonic to make up for some time he took off. He had not told her any details other than that he was persona non grata around there and had busted his arse to get back into their good graces.

Tonight, she would be seeing both of them as they were meeting in Athens. The band was going to throw her a party later and Brittany wanted some time alone with her friends before they met up with the band, especially Kevin. Brittany hoped things with Kevin and Ashley would not be too awkward.

She'd checked herself into the same hotel Ashley was staying at and had the front desk dial her friend's room number.

Upstairs in Ashley's room, the girl in question was trying to get dressed. But, Zander was not making things easy. His hand slid under her shirt and Ashley giggled just as the phone rang. "That's got to be Brit," Ashley said, swatting his hand away.

"Let her leave a message," Zander said, pulling her back against him.

"Yes, I'm sure that would go over big since it's her birthday," Ashley said with a grin. She had missed him. It had been two weeks since she had seen him last and they'd made up for the lost time. "And we have to tell her our good news, right?"

"Don't tell her yet," Zander whispered as Ashley picked up the phone. "Pretend I'm not here yet."

Ashley raised an eyebrow as she put the phone to her ear. "Hello?" she asked.

"Ash!" Brittany squealed. "I've missed you! What's your room number? Are you ready to go out yet?"

"I'm, um, in 417," Ashley replied. "I'll be right down. Has--has Zander arrived?"

"I just got here," Brittany replied. "And I haven't talked to him in AGES."

Ashley smiled. "I'll be right down, Birthday Girl!"

"I can't WAIT!" Brittany said. "But give me a half hour."

"Okay," Ashley replied. "I'll meet you in the lounge in a half hour."

"I say we play a little game," Zander said when she hung up. "Don't tell her we're together."

Ashley laughed. "What? Why?"

"Just to tease her," he said.

Ashley looked at him. "I don't know---"

"Just for a little while," he said, pulling her down onto the bed with him.

Ashley smiled. "Okay, but when she hexes us, I'm telling her it was your idea."

"You wouldn't let her do anything to me," he said impishly.

Ashley kissed him. "I wouldn't?"

"You love me too much," Zander said, pulling her on top of him.

"I do," Ashley said smiling down at him. He slid his fingers into her hair and brought her down for another kiss.

"I didn't even think it was possible to be this happy," Ashley said, resting her head on his chest.

"Me either," Zander replied softly.

Though they had been apart so much, he had made up for the distance by sending her flowers or copies of songs every day.

In return Ashley sent him little cards with some of her doodles on them or sketches she'd done.

"Aunt Saffy calls this the honeymoon phase," Ashley said.

Zander laughed. "Where nothing goes wrong..."

"With no fights," Ashley said. "And the things that get on our nerves are cute."

"You don't get on my nerves," he said, his hands moving up and down over her back.

"Yet," Ashley said.

Zander gave her another kiss. "Things will change when the year is up and you're home..."

Ashley nodded. "And you have to see me every day..."

"Sooner or later maybe we can find a place together," he said, a bit nervously. "When we're both ready for that."

"I'd love that," Ashley said lifting her head to look at him properly.

"You would?" he asked.

Ashley nodded and bit her bottom lip. "I think it would be fantastic, actually."

He grinned up at her.

Ashley gave him a kiss. "Come on, we'd better get a move on. Brit's waiting."

Zander groaned as she pushed herself off him. "So we just pretend we're still only friends," he said as she went into the loo.

"You know that's going to drive her nuts," Ashley called out.

"It's my birthday gift to her," Zander said as he mussed up his hair.

"It's your funeral," Ashley said.

Zander grinned as she came out. "You look amazing."

"So do you," Ashley said kissing his cheek. "So, how do you want to play this? You go down and meet her first or me?"

"You go ahead," Zander said. "Get the squealing out of the way."

Ashley laughed. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

"I'm not afraid of her," Zander scoffed.

Ashley gave him one last kiss before grabbing her bag and heading out of the room. She would have to channel her inner Katie acting skills for this one.

Brittany was already in the lobby when Ashley arrived and she squealed loudly.

"Happy Birthday!" Ashley exclaimed, hugging her friend.

"Thanks," Brittany said happily. "I'm so glad to see you. I've missed you!"

"I've missed you too," Ashley said. "And I'm so glad I was able to see you for your birthday!"

"The guys are out at a club tonight," Brittany said. "When Zander gets here, maybe we can join them."

"Kevin, too?" Ashley asked uncertainly.

"Is that going to be too awkward?" Brittany asked. "We don't have to meet up with them."

Ashley shook her head. "No, it will be fine. I just haven't seen him since Rome."

"Okay, if you're sure." Brittany said. "I can't wait to get going!"

Ashley looked at her. "I'm more worried about things being awkward with Zander."

Brittany sighed. "You two drive me mad, you know that?"

Ashley shrugged. "It's fine. I'm sure he's moved on."

"I don't think so," Brittany replied.

Ashley frowned. "We're about to find out. He just---he just walked in."

Brittany turned and waved. "Zander! Over here!"

Zander waved back and made his way over to them. "Happy Birthday, cousin."

"Thank you!" Brittany hugged him.

"Hi, Zander." Ashley said quietly, hiding her smile.

Zander nodded. "Ashley."

"Ugh, let's not start," Brittany said. "I know you two are friends again, but we are so calling a truce tonight."

"Right," Ashley said, biting her lip to not laugh at the look on Zander's face.

Brittany walked ahead of them and Zander gave Ashley a little pinch.

"You two better have great gifts for me," Brittany said. "A girl doesn't turn 19 every day, you know."

"A gift?" Zander asked. "I knew I forgot something..."

Brittany stopped walking and rounded on him. "Zander!"

"I'm just kidding," he told her.

Brittany swatted at him. "You don't joke about things like that!"

"Because presents are really what matters tonight," Zander said with a straight face.

"Exactly," Brittany said turning and tossing her hair. Zander nudged Ashley and winked at her.

Brittany chattered about her escapades with the band and Ashley and Zander exchanged amused glances.

"What about Evan?" Ashley asked.

Brittany made a face. "Over..."

Ashley frowned. "Really?"

"He doesn't like the long distance thing," she shrugged.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Ashley said.

Brittany shrugged again. "It's okay," she said. "I like meeting all the men in the different cities."

"I just bet you do," Zander said dryly.

"Ugh shut it Zander," Brittany said.

Zander held up his hands and looked at Ashley. "What about you, Ash? Met anyone on your tour?"

"A few," Ashley replied. "Especially in Vienna."

"Oh," Zander said quietly.

"Yes," Ashley said dreamily. "One bloke and I spent the entire night together."

Brittany stopped walking and turned to look at her best friend. "WHAT?"

Ashley grinned at her.

"You little tart you've been holding out on me!" Brittany chastised. "Tell me! I want details!"

Ashley giggled. "Well not ALL the details..."

Brittany looked at Zander to see how he was handling this and saw the hurt expression on his face. She looked at Ashley. "Maybe we shouldn't talk about this in front of Z-A-N-D-E-R," she said.

"I can spell you know," he said.

Brittany waved her hand dismissively. "Maybe you should cover your ears. I have to hear this!"

"I'll give you some details when Zander goes for our first round," Ashley said.

Brittany grinned. "I can't wait!"

"Wait a minute," Zander objected. "Why am I buying drinks?"

"You expect me to buy the drinks on MY birthday?" Brittany asked.

"At least one round," he said.

"It's the least you can do," Ashley said.

"One round," Brittany said.

"One," Zander relented.

"The guys told me I wouldn't have to pay for any of my drinks," Brittany said excitedly. "Tonight is going to be the BEST night!"

Zander had to smile at his cousin's enthusiasm. "You have them all wrapped around your little finger, don't you?"

"A few in particular," Brittany said with a grin.

Ashley laughed. "Is that so?"

"Oh yes," Brittany said. "I think this is the address..." the three of them arrived at a club where they could already hear the music pulsing from inside.

She linked her arm with Ashley's. "And you are going to tell me all about this bloke of yours."

"He was positively dreamy," Ashley told her.

"Look at you!" Brittany teased. "Totally smitten!"

"You wouldn't be able to blame me," Ashley said. "He's gorgeous."

Zander rolled his eyes. "How about I get our drinks?"

"You are so immature," Brittany said. "But fine."

Zander turned and walked toward the bar, leaving the two girls alone. "Okay, spill, Malfoy."

"What else do you want to know?" Ashley asked with a grin.

"How did you meet him?" Brittany asked.

"He's a... artist," Ashley replied truthfully. "One of the most talented I've ever met."

Brittany grinned. "Hot?"

"Amazing," Ashley nodded.

"And have you seen him since?" Brittany asked eagerly.

"Here and there," Ashley nodded.

Brittany smiled at her. "I'm really happy for you and Mister Grumpy over there will be too. Even though I still think you idiots should have figured it out, but I am finished trying to matchmake. Finished."

"Good," Ashley said.

"And I hope I get to meet your bloke someday," Brittany said. "So I can see if he passes my test."

"I think he will," Ashley said. "You'll feel right at home with him."

"Right at home with who?" Zander asked, handing them drinks.

"Ashley's new bloke," Brittany said. "And you're going to be happy for her when you meet him."

"I think Zander would like him," Ashley commented before taking a sip of her drink.

"Sounds like a creep to me," Zander replied.

"You don't know anything about him," Ashley said glaring at him.

"You can do better," he said dismissively.

Ashley folded her arms. "What?"

"You could do better," Zander repeated.

"Stop!" Brittany practically shouted. "You two are NOT doing this on my birthday."

Zander looked innocently at her. "Doing what?"

"This!" Brittany said. "This arguing! It's so bloody obvious you two are in love with each other!"

"We're not arguing," Zander said. "Are we Ash?"

Ashley suddenly smiled. "Hardly."

"Ugh," Brittany said. "You two just need to shag and get it over with."

Zander leaned back in his chair. "That ship has sailed, Brit. Ashley and I are friends---nothing more. And if she wants to date some random bloke, I could care less."

"Yeah right," Brittany said "You are so jealous--"

"Zander, this is Brit's birthday," Ashley interjected. "I'm sure you and I can put aside over differences for one night."

Zander shrugged. "Fine. I didn't bring it up."

Brittany shook her head. "You two are going to stop this. Be friends. Don't be friends. Just stop acting like this because I'm really sick and tired of the back and forth---"

"You know, I think she's right," Ashley interrupted.

"Thank you!" Brittany said proudly. "In fact---" Her words were cut off as she watched as Ashley practically launched herself into Zander's lap.

Zander slid his arms around her and gave her quite a passionate kiss.

Brittany gaped at them.

"Wait a minute," she said. "WAIT... you mean you-- and you--- and in Vienna--?"

Ashley grinned and nodded. "Surprise."

Brittany glanced back and forth between them. "This isn't my present is it?"

Ashley giggled. "Of course not! I have your present in my bag!"

"Oh good," Brittany said. "But WAIT... you were in Vienna before Christmas! You two have been together that long and you didn't tell me before NOW?"

"We wanted to tell you in person, but our schedules haven't really meshed until now," Ashley explained. "I didn't want to tell you about this in a letter or on the phone."

"But still..." Brittany said sitting back and again looking back and forth between her cousin and best friend.

Zander smiled at her. "We didn't want to deny the opportunity to say 'I told you so'."

"And to tell us how right you have always been," Ashley said as Zander slid his arm around her.

Brittany shrugged. "But---"

"Please don't be mad," Ashley said softly.

"You two should be ashamed of yourselves," Brittany said, a slow smile spreading over her face. "You caused me so much worry! I think I have wrinkles now."

Zander and Ashley both grinned.

"And I did tell you so," Brittany said. "Think of all the heartache that you would have saved if you'd only listened to me."

"It's very true." Ashley looked at her boyfriend.

Zander sighed. "It pains me to say this, but you were right, Brit. All along."

"This is proof that more people should listen to me," Brittany said in satisfaction.

"So you forgive us?" Ashley asked with a grin.

"I suppose," Brittany said. "But it also depends on what you both got me for my birthday," she teased.

Ashley laughed and moved back to her seat. She reached into her bag and pulled out Brittany's present.

She had seen the bracelet that Alexa had brought for her aunt at Christmas when she'd briefly been home and when in Italy, she had picked up a Murano bead bracelet and necklace for her friend.

"I love it!" Brittany exclaimed upon opening the present. "Thank you, Ash!"

"I'm glad," Ashley said as Zander pushed his gift across the table.

"Let's see how you did, Zander," Brittany said with a grin.

"It's returnable if you don't like it." he replied.

Brittany tore into the gift and pulled out the scarf. "Zander! I love this!"

"I told you she'd like it," Ashley said to him.

Zander nodded. "You were right as usual."

"You two are sickening," Brittany said with a grin.

"We had to put up with it when you were with Evan," Zander pointed out.

"We always sneaked off to do what we did," Brittany said, putting her gifts in her bag.

"I don't remember that," Zander said smiling at Ashley. "Do you?"

"I try to block it out," Ashley replied. "I did walk in on them once."

Brittany laughed. "We were very affectionate. Just promise me that the two of you will not give each other annoying nicknames."

"Can't promise anything," Zander said. "But we're very, very happy together."

"Very happy," Ashley said reaching for his hand.

"You guys are sick," Brittany shook her head. "Oh ew... wait..."

"What?" Ashley asked.

"He's the mystery man- that you spent the night with! You two SHAGGED!" Brittany squealed.

Ashley turned bright red. "Brit!"

Brittany opened her mouth but saw Kevin and his band mates right behind them, and they'd heard everything she'd just said. "Hi guys," Brittany said quietly.

Ashley slowly turned around and saw Kevin staring at them. "Kevin," she said.

"Oh, awkward," one of his band mates muttered and Kevin elbowed him in the side.

"We were just catching up," Brittany said hastily.

He nodded. "You all haven't seen each other for awhile."

"It's been ages," Brittany said, motioning for the guys to take a seat.

Ashley moved off Zander's lap, but stayed close to him. Kevin took a seat next to Brittany across from them and sent her a little smile.

"How are things?" Ashley asked.

"So busy," Kevin answered. "We set up another nine cities for the tour just today."

"I'm uber-excited over the New York date," Brittany said happily.

"New York?" Ashley asked interestedly as another one of the band members brought over a round of drinks.

Kevin nodded. "Our manager booked up some dates in America. The album's doing really well over there."

"That's wonderful," Ashley said. "I'm really happy for you guys."

"Thanks," Kevin said. "And I guess congratulations are in order for you two as well." He looked at Zander.

"Thanks," Zander nodded to him. It WAS a bit awkward, but Kevin didn't seem to be harbouring any resentment.

"How's your grandfather?" Kevin asked.

"He's doing all right," Ashley said. "My grandmother said he's started taking a few steps on his own."

"That's good," Kevin said.

"I hope he'll recover soon," Ashley replied. "We all do."

"I know it's been hard on you and Katie," Kevin said.

"She mentioned you wrote to her," Ashley said. "I'm sure that made her day."

One of Kevin's band mates nudged him again and Ashley raised an eyebrow. "Am I missing something?"

"I went and saw her when she was in Hogsmeade," Kevin said. "Just a quick visit."

"You did?" Ashley asked taken aback.

"Yeah," he replied. "Just to say hello."

"Oh," Ashley said.

"Are you upset about this?" he asked, looking surprised.

"Not upset," Ashley said. "Just surprised. I didn't know you and Katie had become close is all."

"She's a good kid," he replied.

"She is," Ashley replied, wondering why Katie had not mentioned this. Ashley was not jealous. She wanted Kevin to be happy, but it had taken her aback to find out he had been talking to her little sister on a regular basis.

"Ooooh!" Brittany squealed as a tray of shots arrived at their table. "THIS is what I'm talking about!"

Ashley laughed. "Let's just make sure you're not dancing on the table like last time."

"You either," Brittany returned.

Zander laughed and squeezed her hand. "I'll keep an eye on you, Miss Malfoy."

"You have nothing to worry about," Ashley whispered.

Zander smiled, getting her meaning. "Want to dance?"

"Of course," Ashley said as he pulled her up.

Zander led her to the dance floor and wrapped his arms around her. "That wasn't TOO bad," he commented.

"Not really," Ashley smiled up at him.

Zander gave her a kiss. "I love you."

"I love you too," she said. "Very much."

Zander smiled. "Katie and Kevin, eh?"

Ashley shook her head. "She always fancied him. I suppose it would be a bit strange but hey... if it makes them happy"

Zander nodded. "So, no jealousy?"

"Why would I be jealous when I already have the most fantastic bloke in the world?" Ashley asked, circling her arms around his neck.

"I am quite brilliant, aren't I?" Zander asked with a grin.

Ashley laughed. "Yes. Yes you are."

Zander held her close. "I'm the lucky one."

Ashley ran her fingers through the hair at his nape and leaned in to kiss him.

Everything was out in the open now and she could not have been happier.

*** *** ***