Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks for the kind words last week in regards to our big announcement! You guys are the best!

"Katherine Rose," Julie knocked on the door to the single bathroom. "You have exactly two minutes to finish up in there."

Katie rolled her eyes. "Mum, it's the only room here with any sort of decent lighting to do makeup! I HAVE to look good when Kevin gets here!"

"Two minutes," Julie repeated.

"You're so unfair," Katie said, brushing at her long hair. "Honestly--"

She had to make sure things were perfect and her mother just did not understand. Besides wanting to look pretty for Kevin, she was nervous because they were going to tell Nick today that they were dating.

It was funny how it had worked out. They hadn't yet had a chance to meet up in person since they had seen each other in Hogsmeade during the school year.

Their relationship had been conducted mostly through letters. Katie had never been much for letters, but writing to Kevin had definitely changed her mind.

"That's it," Julie said. "Out, Katie. Now."

"One more minute!" Katie pleaded.

"No," Julie said. "Don't make me unlock this door with magic."

"Fine!" Katie retorted, giving herself one more look in the mirror. She opened the door and looked at her mother. "Happy now?"

"There are two other people in this cabin who need to use the loo," Julie told her daughter.

Katie smiled innocently at her mother. "Well, if we had sprung for a bigger cabin with more loos..."

Julie shook her head but fought back a grin. "You look lovely, Katie."

Katie grinned. "Thank you, Mum."

Katie went into the small bedroom that she would be sharing with Ashley when her sister arrived from her trip and used a small hand mirror to finish her makeup.

All she had to do now was choose the perfect outfit. she

She wished Caroline were here but her friend was still settling in with her family.

Meanwhile, Kevin had just arrived and was heading towards the cabin. He was looking forward to seeing Katie but not so much the inevitable discussion with Nick.

Nick Malfoy was not only a mentor, he had become a great friend to Kevin. Kevin had a feeling Nick might not be so happy with this news.

"Cabin seven," he muttered to himself.

He took a deep breath and slowly made his way toward the Malfoy cabin.

He knocked on the door and it didn't even take two seconds for it to fling open and Katie stood before him. "You're here!"

He couldn't stop the grin from spreading across his face the moment he saw her. "Hiya."

Katie grinned at him too. "I'm so excited. I can't believe you're finally here."

"Me too," Kevin said wanting to kiss her but not wanting to press his luck just yet.

"Come on in," Katie said, stepping back. "Unfortunately, you'll wind up sleeping on the sofa tonight. We only have two bedrooms here."

Kevin set his bag down thinking he'd be lucky if Nick Malfoy let him stay after their conversation. This was not going to be easy, but looking at Katie, he knew it was worth it.

"So um... my dad went for a run," Katie began, feeling a bit shy. "But my mum's here."

"Did you tell her?" Kevin asked.

"Not yet," Katie confessed. "I... I didn't really know what to say yet."

"It's okay," Kevin reassured her. " We'll do it together."

Katie smiled at him. "I'm so glad you're here."

Kevin smiled back. "You look beautiful."

Katie glowed at the compliment. "Thank you! I--" she was interrupted as Julie came into the room.

Julie smiled warmly at him. "Hello, Kevin."

"Hi Mrs. Malfoy," Kevin said nervously.

"Would you like something to drink?" She asked. "Nick should be back any moment from his run."

"I'm okay right now, thanks." Kevin replied.

Julie smiled. "It's been ages since we've seen you. How have you been?"

"Good," Kevin cast a look at Katie. "Um--"

Julie took this to mean that Kevin did not want Katie around. Julie knew of her younger daughter's crush. "Katie perhaps you could go and visit Ethan and Maddie?"

"Why would I want to do that?" Katie asked.

"Well I'm sure you don't want to stay inside on such a lovely day," Julie answered. "And your father and Kevin will have loads to discuss."

"Katie's part of the reason I'm here," Kevin said. "Well actually... pretty much the whole reason I'm here."

Katie stepped forward and put her hand in his.

Julie gave them both a quizzical look. "What am I missing here?"

"We're sort of together," Katie replied.

"Since when?" Julie asked incredulously.

"Not very long," Katie replied. "Mum, don't freak out."

"Katie," Julie shook her head. "Why wouldn't' you have said something about this?"

"Well, let's see," Katie said. "There's the fact that he was Ashley's boyfriend. There's Kevin's working relationship with Daddy."


"But if you two are together, you should have said something before this," Julie said gently.

"You're right," Kevin said. "We should have."

"I imagine Nick will want to talk to both of you when he gets back," Julie looked at her daughter. "Katie, you know we just want you to be happy."

"I am," Katie said looking at Kevin.

Julie nodded as the door to the cabin opened and Nick came in.

"Daddy," Katie said stepping back from Kevin.

"Kevin," Nick said in surprise. "Were we scheduled to get together for something?"

"Surprise visit," Julie said. "Nick, why don't you freshen up and we can all have a nice chat?"

"Sure," Nick replied. "Now that Katie's out of the loo it should only take a few minutes."

Katie giggled nervously. " Funny, Daddy."

Nick smiled and disappeared into the bathroom.

Julie looked at her daughter. "Does your sister know?"

"Yes," Katie answered.

"And?" Julie prompted.

"She supports us," Katie said.

"She was taken aback at first," Kevin said. "But she's okay with it as long as I don't hurt Katie. And I wouldn't do that, Mrs. Malfoy."

Julie smiled a bit. "I would hope not, Kevin."

"How do you think Daddy will react?" Katie asked.

"I don't know," Julie answered.

Kevin squeezed Katie's hand. "Expect the worst and hope for the best."

"I'm sure it won't be that bad," Julie said. "But this is quite the surprise, so be prepared for that."

Katie nodded and led Kevin over to the sofa. The three of them exchanged small talk while they waited for Nick.

The man in question didn't take long and was seated across from them in a matter of about ten minutes. "So..." Nick said. "What's on your mind, Kevin? A new song for me to look at?"

"Um not exactly," Kevin said nervously. "I'm actually here for more personal reasons."

"Oh?" Nick asked. "What's that?"

Kevin looked at Katie before continuing. "Well, the thing is I've started to see someone."

"I'm not sure what that has to do with you coming here--" Nick said, his voice trailing off as he saw the way Kevin was looking at his daughter.

"It started right after Grandpa's accident," Katie explained. "Kev wrote to me and it kind of went forward from there."

"I see..." Nick said slowly.

"I really care for Katie," Kevin said. "And we would like to continue seeing each other. With your blessing, of course."

Julie looked over at her husband. "Nick?"

Nick did not say anything and just looked at Kevin with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Daddy?" Katie asked uncertainly. "Say something..."

"I know what you're thinking," Kevin said hastily. "You think I might be doing this to get back at Ashley or to move on to the younger sister..."

"That might have crossed my mind," Nick admitted.

"That's not it," Kevin reassured him. "I genuinely care for Katie."

"He does," Katie said. "And I care about him too."

"I don't like that you kept this from me," Nick said quietly.

"It hasn't been going on very long," Katie said. "The relationship, that is."

"We want to see where this goes," Kevin said smiling at Katie.

Nick looked back and forth between them. "I think Katie is a bit young for a steady relationship, but if you both want this and she can handle it... then I'm all right with it."

Katie grinned. "Really, Daddy?"

"If you can handle it," Nick told her.

Katie nodded. "I can!"

"All right then," Nick said.

Katie stood up and gave her father a hug. "Thanks Dad," she said happily, looking over at Kevin with a grin.

"Thanks, Nick," Kevin said. "I promise I won't let you down."

The new couple decided to go for a walk around the resort grounds. Katie felt a thrill shoot through her entire body when Kevin reached for her hand.

"I feel like I can breathe easily now," Kevin said with a grin.

"Me too," Katie laughed. "That wasn't nearly half as bad as I thought."

"We can say that now," Kevin said.

"Well," Katie said. "They would have had to accept it. I always get what I want."

Kevin chuckled and pulled her close. "You do, do you?"

"Yes," she said, her heartbeat speeding up. "You know that about me by now."

"I do," Kevin said. "And I'm looking forward to finding out everything else, too."

"Like what?" Katie asked coyly, running her hands over his chest.

"How it feels to do this," Kevin replied before brushing his lips against hers.

Katie trembled in excitement as he kissed her again, more firmly this time. "My sister is an idiot," she murmured when they broke apart.

Kevin chuckled. "Ah, well she's happy with Zander and I'm happier with you."

"Who'd have thought?" Katie asked softly.

Kevin gave her another kiss. "Everything happens for a reason, Katie."

"Yes I know," she said. "But you're such a good kisser..."

"So are you," Kevin said smiling at her.

"Duh," Katie said with a grin.

"So when does your 'idiot' sister arrive?" Kevin asked as they continued their walk.

"In a few days," Katie replied. "She's probably bringing Zander with her."

Kevin nodded. "Might be a little awkward."

"We'll hardly see them," Katie said with a grin.

"That so?" Kevin asked.

"I imagine we'll be quite busy," Katie said, rising up to kiss him again.

"Extremely busy," Kevin said holding her tightly.

Katie sighed happily. She couldn't believe how everything worked out so perfectly.

"I'm crazy about you, Katie Malfoy," Kevin said.

"Same here," Katie said. "I've always fancied you. I just didn't think... with you being Ashley's ex... that you'd ever feel anything in return."

"Me either," Kevin said. "But writing to you...I don't know..."

Katie smiled. "It just happened."

Kevin gave her hand a squeeze. "So, what do you want to do today?"

"I don't know," Katie said thoughtfully.

"We have lots of time to figure that out," Kevin said.

"Until I go back to bloody school in September," Katie said,

Kevin put his arm around her. "Hey, it will go by quicker than you think."

"I hope so," Katie answered. "It's not like I need it. Once I turn 21 I get my money."

"Education's important too," Kevin said. "You'll see."

"I don't want to talk about that now," Katie said as she leaned against him. "Right now, this is just perfect."

"I couldn't agree more," Kevin said kissing the top of her head.

Back at the cabin, Julie handed Nick a glass of lemonade. "You've been awfully quiet since they left," she commented as she sat down beside him.

"Just surprised, I guess," Nick said. "I just hope we aren't letting her get in over head."

"I know," Julie agreed.

"Well," Nick said. "Like mother like daughter. You fell for a musician too." he grinned at her.

"In this very place," Julie said grinning back at him.

"You know," Nick said, leaning in. "I think we should go check and see if our cove is still in the same condition we left it in."

Julie giggled. "It's been years!"

"I know," Nick said nuzzling her neck.

Julie closed her eyes. "Nicholas..."

"Making you crazy am I?" he asked.

"You know you are," Julie said softly.

"Come on," Nick said. "Put on your swim costume."

Julie laughed as he pulled her to her feet. "Really?"

"Yeah," Nick said. "Come on Jules..."

Julie gave him a kiss. "I can't wait."

They got dressed and left the cabin, laughing like they were teenagers again who had just met. "I was so nervous that first time," Julie confessed.

"Me too," Nick told her. "I wanted things to be perfect for you."

"They were," Julie said.

Nick smiled. "And to think you hated me when you first met me."

"What on earth was wrong with me?" Julie asked, laughing.

"I was an arrogant bastard," Nick admitted.

"But quite charming," Julie said.

"Very charming," Nick said.

Julie kissed her husband. "Come on Nicholas Tarrington. Now you have me all excited."

"Lead the way," Nick said.

They made their way to the lake and ditched their clothing on a chair. Nick stuck his wand in his swim trousers so he could configure something into a blanket once they reached the cove.

Julie smiled at him. "Ready?"

"More than you know," Nick eyed her slender body.

Julie took his hand. "Come on then."

They headed into the water and swam towards the cove.

To Julie's delight, the cove still looked the same as she remembered. It was almost like going back in time.

"Wow," Nick said, looking around. "Time warp..."

"Totally," Julie agreed squeezing his hand.

Nick grabbed a twig and transfigured it into a blanket, which he spread on the ground.

"So smooth," Julie teased.

"I can't make love to you on the bare ground," Nick said cheekily.

Julie laughed. "I beg your pardon. Smooth and thoughtful."

"Nothing less for the most beautiful woman alive," Nick said as they settled down together. He leaned in and kissed his wife. "I love you, Julie."

"I love you," Julie whispered. "And I wouldn't change one moment of our life together."

"Look how far we've come since we were here last," Nick said. "Dealing with my parents, my grandparents... my dad... two daughters..."

"Two daughters dating," Julie added.

"One graduated from Hogwarts and on the tour of her lifetime," Nick added.

"And Katie's done so well with her dyslexia and she's so ambitious," Julie said. "I'm so proud of how far she's come."

Nick nodded. "She's definitely the most headstrong of all of us."

"She gets that from you," Julie said nudging him.

"My family, definitely," he agreed.

Julie gave him a kiss. "You're an amazing father, Nick. I know you worried so much about that, but you are."

"Sometimes I still need to hear that," Nick said. "Thanks Jules."

Julie touched his cheek. "Thank you."

Nick leaned in and kissed her again, pushing her down on the blanket.

The couple spent the rest of the afternoon in the cove, just enjoying being together.

They emerged when it started to get a little chilly. Julie shivered when they emerged from the water on the other side.

Nick put his arm around her. "Alright?"

"Yes," she said, wrapping her towel around her.

"Me too," Nick said shooting her a goofy grin.

Julie hugged him through her towel. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Nick said. "Do you want to go back to the cabin and freshen up before heading to the restaurant? I'm sure Uncle Ron and Aunt Luna will be there with your folks."

"Sounds good to me," Julie said. "Kevin and Katie can join us."

NIck shook his head. "Katie and Kevin. That's going to take some getting used to."

"It's not like they're getting married or anything," Julie pointed out. "She's only sixteen."

"Thankfully," Nick said. "It's just the whole thing with him being one of the blokes on my label and producing his album and him already having dated one of my daughters."

"I'm sure it'll be strange for awhile," Julie agreed.

Nick nodded. "He's a good kid."

"I always liked him," Julie said as they reached the cabin.

"Me too," Nick said holding the door for his wife.

"Care to join me in the shower, Nicholas?" Julie asked, fluttering her eyelidsl

Nick laughed. "Do you even have to ask?"

"Three times wasn't enough for me today, apparently," Julie said with a grin

"Overachiever," Nick said pulling her into his arms.

Julie laughed. "You say that like it's a bad thing!"

"It's one of the many things I love about you," Nick said. "No complaints from me."

Julie kissed him again. "Come on, Nicholas."

*** *** ***

Allie and Jon Weasley were also enjoying a trip down memory lane. They had arrived with their children just that morning and were showing their children around the resort. At least, that's what they were trying to do.

Adam tossed a rock at a nearby tree. "Can't we go to the lake?"

Allison smiled at Jon. "The lake!"

"Didn't you fall in love in the restaurant?" Emma asked hopefully.

Caroline giggled. "Em."

"Well you never know," Emma said.

Allison did not hear this and rested her head on Jon's shoulder. "Remember that first time we went swimming together?"

"How could I forget?" he asked her. "You in that blue bikini..."

Adam rolled his eyes. "What difference does it make, Dad?"

"Son, if your mother and I had not realised our feelings here, you may not exist right now," Jon told him.

"That wouldn't be such a bad thing," Emma mumbled.

Olivia tugged at Jon's hand. "Can't see, Daddy!"

Jon lifted his youngest daughter. "Your mummy and I swam there when we were Caroline's age."

Olivia grinned. "Was Mummy pretty?"

"She's always been beautiful," Jon said with a smile.

Allison beamed at him. "Jon..."

"That's so romantic," Caroline said softly.

"Even though she fancied your Uncle Josh first," Jon teased.

"Did you really?" Emma asked.

Allison laughed. "I was delusional."

"Big time," Emma said, reaching in her pocket for a chocolate frog.

"I fancied her way before we came here and I decided that summer would be the summer I'd make my move."

"Good job, Daddy." Olivia told him.

"Thanks," Jon said tweaking her nose.

"What else did you do that summer?" Caroline askd.

Adam sighed. "Caroline!"

"What?" Caroline looked at her brother.

"If you keep asking them questions, they'll never stop," Adam replied.

"Adam!" Allison exclaimed.

"Sorry," Adam said hastily.

"We'll go swimming later," Jon promised his son. "And fishing too."

"And eating?" Emma asked hopefully.

Jon laughed. "And lunch, yes."

Caroline fell into step beside her mother. "I miss Bradley."

Allison put an arm around her oldest. "I bet you do. Have you two written each other yet?"

"I sent him an owl before we left," Caroline replied.

"I'm sure you'll hear from him tonight," Allison replied.

Caroline smiled. "Em and Adam will appreciate your love story when they're older."

"Of course they will," Allison kissed the side of Caroline's head. "When they fall for someone..."

Caroline nodded. "Well Emma loves food."

Allison laughed. "I imagine our little Em is going to be a cook. I can't imagine her doing anything else."

"Mum you should see her at Hogwarts. The elves love her and they let her bake!"

"They what?" Jon turned and asked.

"Em bakes with the elves in the kitchens," Caroline said. "They adore her."

"You didn't tell me that, Emma." Jon said to his daughter as she pulled a pack of liqourice wands out of another pocket.

Emma offered him one. "It's no biggie. I knit them things and they let me bake."

"What do you bake?" Adam asked curiously.

"Treacle tart, chocolate biscuits, pumpkin pasties, fudge," Emma replied. "Oh and apple pie."

Adam's eyes widened. "Why don't you ever make apple pie at home?"

Emma giggled. "Well if someone were a little nicer to their big sister..."

"Be nice to Em," Olivia said from Jon's arms.

"I'm nice to Em," Adam said.

"Not all the time," Olivia returned.

Emma grinned. "See Adam?"

"I guess I can be nicer," he said. "For apple pie..."

Emma offered him a licorice wand. "I'll make one for you when we're home."

"Thanks Em," Adam grinned at her. "You aren't so bad."

Allison laughed. "You have witnesses, Em. we all heard him say it."

"It's for apple pie," Adam said defensively.

"Sure, buddy," Jon said.

Adam bit into his liquorice and looked away in embarassment.

"Where else did you love Mummy?" Olivia asked.

Allison looked at Emma. "We did have some good times at the restaurant."

Emma squealed. "I'm SO hungry!!"

They all laughed. "Come on then," Jon said.

The Weasleys headed for the restaurant and were seated outside on the deck. "Everything looks SO good," Emma said. "Livvie, you want me to help you pick something out?"

Olivia nodded eagerly.

Jon took Allison's hand in his and squeezed it. "Did you ever think we'd be sitting here like this?"

Alllison smiled. "Happily married with four children."

"Four," Jon shook his head. "We're crazy."

Allison laughed. "What were we thinking?"

"I'd go so far as to say we're two of the luckiest people alive," Jon said, giving her a kiss.

Caroline watched her parents and couldn't help smiling.

She missed Bradley. Hillsdale was great, but she missed Brighton and visiting Bradley at the ice cream stand. He was working there again this summer and she just hoped that no other girls were turning his head while she was here with her family.

But they had made plans for him to make a day visit here and Caroline could not wait for that. Katie had assured her it would not be awkward.

She couldn't wait to see him. They'd spent several days together once school had let out and they'd made plans to shop together once they needed supplies.

"Sissy?" Olivia's voice called out, breaking her from her reverie.

"Yeah Livvie?" Caroline asked.

"What are you gonna get?" Olivia asked.

"Oh I don't know," Caroline said. "What's good here?"

"The sandwiches and salads are really great," Allison told her.

"A salad sounds good," Caroline said.

"The chef salad is amazing," Allison said. "I think I ate hundreds of those last time I was here."

"I'm sold," Caroline said with a grin. "Thanks Mum."

"For me, it's the double cheeseburger," Jon said. "Which I always ordered WITHOUT onions because I knew I'd be snogging someone later."

"Gross," Adam groaned.

Jon mussed his son's hair. "You will learn someday, my son."

"I'm not going to love some girl," Adam shook his head.

"I'll remind you of that when you hit Caroline's age," Allison told him.

Adam made a face. "When do we get to go swimming?"

"After lunch," Allison promised.

"And fishing?" Adam asked hopefully.

"I bet you can't catch as big a fish as I can," Jon said.

"Bigger," Adam scoffed.

"No way," Jon said grinning at him.

"What do I win?" Adam asked.

"A doll!" Olivia suggested.

"Dolls are stupid," Adam said dismissively.

"They are not!" Olivia argued.

"Well they are for me," Adam said.

Olivia looked at Emma. "No pie for him!"

Emma giggled. "It's okay if he doesn't like dolls, Livvie. Caroline and I will still play them with you." Olivia beamed at her.

Caroline was going to say something when she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. She turned to see Katie. Correction, an absolutely radiant Katie staring back at her. "Aunt Allie, Uncle Jon, do you mind if I steal Caroline away for a moment?"

"Just be back by the time the food arrives," Allison said. "I'll order for you."

Caroline nodded and followed her best friend outside. "What's going on?" Caroline asked.

"He's here," Katie said gleefully. "He's here and everyone knows and everything is perfect!"

"Katie!" Caroline squealed before giving her a hug. "That's fantastic!"

"I'm so, so happy," Katie said. "I can't believe it!"

Caroline smiled. "Where is he now?"

"He's back in our cabin with my dad," Katie said. "I just wanted to come tell you."

"I'm glad you did, Katie," Caroline said. "I'm really happy for you. You have everything you ever wanted."

"Now I just need my money," Katie said. "And then everything's perfect."

"And to finish school," Caroline said. "Which you're going to do."

"Of course," Katie rolled her eyes but she smiled.

"From princesses to this," Caroline said smiling back at her.

Katie laughed. "We've come a long way."

"Maybe someday, you and I will be bringing our own families here," Caroline said. "Can you imagine?"

"That seems so far away," Katie said. "But yeah..."

Caroline giggled. "Oh knowing you it would have to be at a chalet in the Swiss Alps."

"That does sound wonderful," Katie agreed, her eyes gleaming.

"No matter where it is, we'll always be friends," Caroline said extending her pinky finger. "Right?"

Katie hooked hers in it. "Right."

"Have your parents been on the same nostalgic kick mine have been on?" Caroline asked.

"They disappeared for awhile," Katie said. "I don't want to know where they've gone. Grandma and Grandpa are all funny too."

"Kind of strange thinking of them being young like we are once," Caroline said.

"Your parents were our age when they were here and fell in love," Katie recalled. "It is pretty romantic."

"And yours had the whole Romeo and Juliet thing going," Caroline said.

Katie grinned. "I'm going to go back and play Juliet to my Romeo right now."

Caroline giggled. "Something tells me you'll have a happier ending."

"You bet I will," Katie said with a bigger grin. "I'll see you later."

While Caroline rejoined her family, another surprise visitor was working up the nerve to talk to Nick Malfoy. Although Ashley was not going to arrive back in town for a couple more days, Zander wanted to talk to Nick. He planned to propose and he wanted to ask Nick's permission. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

Nick had just gotten back with Julie and was surprised to see his older daughter's boyfriend standing on the porch. "Zander!" he said in surprise. "We didn't think you'd be getting here until Ashley arrived."

"I know," Zander said. "But I wanted to---I wanted to talk to you if I could, Mr. Malfoy."

"Of course," Nick said, stepping aside.

Julie smiled. "I'll just go and see if Maddie needs any help the girls."

Zander sat down to mask his nervousness. "This is a nice place."

Nick nodded and sat down across from him. "It's a special place for our family. I'm glad we could finally bring Katie and Ashley here."

"Right," Zander nodded. "Where you met, right?"

"Yes," Nick said raising an eyebrow. "You okay, mate? You look a little pale."

"I'm okay," Zander gulped. "Um, sir... the reason I'm here... it's well... it's that I--"

"Yes?" Nick prompted.

"I want to marry Ashley," Zander said the words in a rush.