Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: For those American readers, we hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and did not eat too much! Tonight's chapter catches up with the Hogwarts crew and with Frankie. Please read and review!

It was the last trip into Hogsmeade before the trip home for the winter hols and Katie was bouncing in her seat as they approached the little town. "I can't believe Kevin is meeting me here," she said to Lindsey.

"I still don't know how you're going to pull that off with your boyfriend hanging around," Lindsey commented.

"I'll figure it out," she said.

Over the last few weeks, she and Kevin had kept up correspondence. Katie had been surprised when he had written her back that first time and with each letter, she felt them getting closer.

"You should just tell Bradley that Kevin's meeting you here," Caroline said. "Be honest with him."

Katie looked at her as if she had suggested cutting her hair. "Caroline that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I can't tell Bradley about Kevin. Boys are jealous and even though this is perfectly innocent, I don't think Bradley would understand."

Caroline rolled her eyes. She regretted her decision to ride with Katie, Lindsey and Tegan in their carriage but Katie had insisted.

"What time are you supposed to meet him and where?" Lindsey asked.

"Noon at the sweets shoppe," Katie said.

Caroline took out her shopping list. She did not think Bradley deserved this, but it was not her place to say anything. Despite what Katie said, Caroline had a feeling her best friend's feelings for Ashley's ex ran deeper than 'friendship'. Katie had saved each and every one of Kevin's letters and re-read them at least twenty times.

"You're so lucky," Lindsey said enviously. "I wish I had two blokes fighting over me."

Katie giggled. "They're not fighting....yet."

"They will be," Tegan said loyally.

Katie beamed at her. "Thank you, Tegan."

Caroline raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

The carriages arrived and Caroline was happy to get out. She did not think she could listen to this on what was supposed to be a fun trip. She made a move for the carriage door, but Katie pulled her back. "Caroline, what are you doing?" Katie asked.

"Getting out of the carriage..." Caroline said as if it should be obvious.

"Well, wait for me," Katie said.

Caroline sighed. "I wasn't going to leave without you."

Katie smiled. "Good. Tegan, you and Lindsey make yourselves scarce. I don't need an entourage."

"SHE gets to stay?" Lindsey asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Caroline asked angrily.

"I'm her best friend," Lindsey said haughtily. "And a Slytherin."

"YOU are my best friend IN Slytherin," Katie corrected her. "Not my best friend ever. Besides, I've known Caroline since we were babies."

"Ugh, whatever," Lindsey replied. "I'll be at Madam Puddifoots."

Katie rolled her eyes and followed Caroline out of the carriage. "She gets on my last nerve, Caroline. I swear."

"I don't know how you can stand it," Caroline said.

"I ask myself the same question ALL the time," Katie said shaking her head. "Everything's a competition with her. It gets so exhausting!"

"Then why do you bother?" Caroline asked.

Katie shrugged. "She has her good points. She's...loyal and she'll do whatever I want."

"And that's what's most important," Caroline muttered.

Katie laughed. "Okay, then. Where did we want to go first?"

"Did you want to find Bradley's Christmas gift?" Caroline asked.

"Yes," Katie said. "You can pick something out in that horrid Quidditch shoppe."

"I can't believe you don't like Quidditch," Caroline replied.

"I like Quidditch players," Katie clarified. "Especially the cute ones and the ones that happen to be my best friend."

Caroline grinned. "Good answer."

They walked into the Quidditch shoppe and Katie had to laugh at the look on Caroline's face. "I get like that when I'm in a boutique."

"I love the smell of new Quidditch gloves," Caroline said, grasping a pair.

"Think Bradley would like those?" Katie asked.

"He probably would," Caroline replied. "His are pretty beat up."

"Perfect," Katie said grabbing a pair.

Caroline followed Katie to the register and wished she could buy things as easily. She did chores for her money when she was home and it was harder to come by.

She hoped to pick up some babysitting jobs over the holiday to help make some extra money. She wanted to get her parents something nice for Christmas.

"Now that that's finished," Katie said, tossing the gloves into her bag. "Let's go get something to drink."

"Okay," Caroline said.

"When Kevin arrives... if Bradley's around, I'll need you to keep him distracted." Katie said thoughtfully.

Caroline looked at her. "What? Katie---"

"Just for a little while," Katie interrupted.

Caroline did not have a chance to protest as Bradley chose that moment to come up behind them.

"Hey," he said, sliding his arms around Katie and giving her a kiss. "Been hiding?"

Katie laughed. "No, I've been buying someone a Christmas present."

"Oh?" he winked at Caroline. "Who might that be?"

Katie leaned against him. "Oh, I don't know..."

"We were just going to grab something to drink," Caroline said.

"Would you like to join us?" Katie asked.

"You know I would," Bradley replied.

Katie grinned. "But you're not getting any hints."

"Just a little one?" he teased.

"Only that you'll love it," Katie said linking her arm in his. "Now, let's hurry. I want some butterbeer."

Caroline watched as Katie cast a quick look at her watch.

"I saw your grandfather," Bradley told Caroline. "At the joke shoppe. That place is packed."

"My grandfather's here?" Caroline brightened. "I should go say hi."

Katie grinned. "Why don't you do that? You and Bradley could go. I wanted to try on some clothes and that would just bore Bradley..."

"No it wouldn't," he denied.

"Come on!" Katie hit him playfully. "You know it would be one big yawn."

"Yeah," Caroline said. "You should go to the joke shoppe with me. You liked talking to my grandfather over the summer."

Katie shot Caroline a grateful look. "Yeah! You should go! I'll catch up with you later."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Absolutely," Katie reassured him.

He gave her a kiss goodbye. "See you in a bit."

Katie mouthed a quick 'Thank you' to Caroline before heading in the opposite direction.

"Guess she wasn't as thirsty as she thought," Caroline said to Bradley as they continued on their way to the joke shoppe.

"It's all right," Bradley said. "Gives me time to shop for her Christmas gift."

"I just want to stop and say hello to my grandfather," Caroline said.

"He's pretty cool," Bradley said as he held the door open for her.

Caroline smiled. ""Thanks."

She was never going to admit it to Katie, but she still thought he was so cute. He was so polite, as well. Katie was lucky.

"Caroline!" Ron exclaimed, with a grin when he spotted her. He came out from behind the counter.

"Hi Grandpa!" Caroline said with a grin, rushing to give him a hug.

"I was hoping I'd see you," Ron said.

"I just heard you were here," Caroline said. "Or I would have been by already."

"Filling in for your Uncle Fred," Ron said. "Just for today."

"You picked a good day," Caroline said with a grin. "Emma will be sorry she missed you."

"How's my little troublemaker?" Ron asked.

Caroline laughed. "She's something else, Grandpa. The other night she got caught by Headmaster Wood in the kitchens, but she refused to show the way she got in."

Ron winked at her. "Your Dad must have told her the secret."

"He did," Caroline said. "She goes in there all the time. And she knits them socks ever since Nana taught her how, so she's a huge hit."

Ron beamed with pride and then turned his attention to Bradley. He folded his arms. "And who is this?"

"You remember Bradley from this summer at Brighton, right?" Caroline asked. "He was Katie's date at Ashley's going away party?"

Ron nodded. "Right. Good to see you again."

"You too, sir," Bradley replied.

"You doing some shopping then?" Ron asked.

"I have to find something for Adam for Christmas," Caroline said. "But I don't know what to get him."

Ron reached into his pocket for his wallet. He started to hand his granddaughter some money, but Caroline shook her head. "Grandpa," she protested.

"Sorry," Ron said. "I forget how independent you are."

"And I know how hard you work for your money," Caroline said.

"Well, at least let me pay for your lunch," Ron said, handing Caroline a few bills.

"That I won't say no to," Caroline said. "What do you want me to bring you?"

Ron grinned. "Club sandwich with extra chips."

"You got it," Caroline replied. "I'll go get it after I find Adam's gift."

They said goodbye to Ron and Bradley smiled at Caroline. "Where to now, Miss Weasley?"

"Let me find something for Adam," Caroline said. "As a bloke you can help me with that."

"Only fair since you're helping me with Katie," Bradley said.

"Good deal," she said. "How about this?"

Bradley grinned. "Does your brother have his own chess set?"

"No, but he loves to play." Caroline replied. "Good idea!"

"How about you?" Bradley asked as Caroline picked up the set.

"I'm not that great at it but I like playing," Caroline replied.

"You say you're not that great at Quidditch either," Bradley teased. "But I"I seem to remember someone flying above the pitch like a superstar last week during our match..."

"I was no superstar," Caroline blushed.

"You beat us," Bradley said.

"That's because Gryffindor rules," Caroline replied.

"Is that so?" Bradley asked. "Well, you lot can't hold a candle to Ravenclaw."

"We did last week," Caroline said. "And we'll do it again next match."

Bradley chuckled. "Caroline Weasley...talking rubbish."

"Oh please," Caroline paid for the chess set.

"Hey, Caroline?" Bradley asked, as they exited the shoppe. "Katie's seemed a bit preoccupied lately. Has she said anything to you?"

"No," Caroline answered, biting her lower lip. She hated lying but she'd promised that she wouldn't say anything about Kevin.

"Maybe it's just her grandfather," Bradley said thoughtfully.

"That's been hard on all of them," Caroline said truthfully.

"That's why I want to make this Christmas really special for her," Bradley said.

"She'll really like that," Caroline told him.

Bradley smiled. "I hope so."

Caroline looked at the money Ron had given her. "I should have enough to buy lunch for all of us."

"You don't have to," Bradley protested.

"I want to," Caroline insisted.

"Thanks," Bradley told her.

Caroline smiled. "It's nice getting to spend time with one another."

"When you're not beating the trousers off me at Quidditch," Bradley joked.

"Well, exactly," Caroline laughed. "Come on."

While Caroline and Bradley searched for Katie's gift, Katie was waiting impatiently for Kevin just outside The Three Broomsticks.

He was five minutes late and famous or no, she did not like to be kept waiting. It was freezing out here and she hated to think what the wind was doing to her hair. She was about to go inside when she saw him approaching. Katie instantly pasted a smile on her face.

"Sorry I'm late," Kevin said grinning at her.

"It's all right," Katie said, reaching to hug him. Merlin, he smelled good."

"I'll make it up to you by buying you lunch," Kevin said making her laugh as he hugged her tightly and picked her up off the ground.

Katie was elated. "I suppose that will do," she said coyly.

He held the door for her. "Ladies first."

Katie smiled smugly as several pairs of eyes turned to her. Surely they were seeing her with Kevin and realising how important she was.

They found a table by the fire and Katie took off her cloak. "I'm really glad you wanted to meet," she told him.

"I felt bad about your grandfather and I hope I can do something to cheer you up," he said.

"You have," Katie reassured him. "Your letters have been so great."

"Good," Kevin replied. "You look great, by the way."

Katie beamed. "So do you."

"I'm glad to have a break from touring," he admitted.

Katie nodded. "My dad always says that, too."

"It's good to see my parents," Kevin said. "And just have a little down time."

Katie smiled. "What do you have planned?"

"Absolutely nothing," Kevin grinned.

Katie was absolutely dazzled by the way he was smiling at her. She could not believe that her sister had thrown over Kevin for Zander, of all people.

"I start up again in January," he continued.

"Where are you going?" Katie asked.

"Back to Rome, first." he said. "Then a couple shows in Paris."

Katie reached across the table and patted his arm. "Paris is my favourite city in the world!"

"I remember you saying that," Kevin said, amused.

"It's just so romantic," Katie said dreamily.

"I always wanted to take your sister there," Kevin said. "But we never got the chance..."

Katie pulled a sympathetic face. "Sometimes, things aren't meant to be, Kev."

"Yeah," he said. "I don't want to talk about Ash."

"Of course," Katie said her hand still on his arm. "Let's order."

"Sure," Kevin nodded. "What did you want?"

"Whatever you're having," Katie said.

"A huge burger?" he teased.

Katie giggled. "How about a turkey sandwich and the soup of the day?"

"You got it," he smiled at her and went up to order.

Katie looked triumphantly around the pub. She saw Tegan and Lindsey sitting off to one side and gave them a little wave. Perhaps later she would introduce them.

Kevin came back to the table a few minutes later with their food and drinks. "How's school going for you?" he asked her as he sat back down.

"Good, I guess," Katie said. "I can't wait to be finished."

"That's how I was," Kevin said. "I was ready to just concentrate on my music."

"I don't even have to work if I don't want to," Katie shrugged. "I'm sure I'll do something though."

"Whatever you do, you'll be great," Kevin said before taking a bite of his burger.

Katie smiled at him before digging into her own food. "I'm sure you're right."

He made her laugh as he told her stories from the tour. Best of all, they did not mention Ashley's name at all.

"This has been such a great day," Katie said as they finished their food. "It's been great getting my mind off everything."

"I'm happy to help," Kevin said sincerely.

"You're a good... friend." Katie said, lowering her eyes.

Kevin smiled and reached for her hand. "So are you."

Lindsey walked by the table and cleared her throat.

Katie glared at her. "What?"

"Just saying hi," Lindsey said innocently.

Katie rolled her eyes. She had a feeling that Lindsey would not go away without an introduction. "Lindsey, this is Kevin. Kevin, Lindsey."

"Hi," Kevin offered her a hand. "Nice to meet you.'

Lindsey practically swooned. She shook his hand, but held on and would not let go. "It's really great to meet you. I have all of your band's albums at home. I saw you in concert last summer. You were amazing. I think my favourite song is..."

"Goodbye," Katie said through clenched teeth.

"Can I have an autograph?" Lindsey asked.

"Sure," Kevin replied. "Katie, have you got a quill?"

Katie was practically seething. She was going to kill Lindsey. "No, I'm afraid not."

"I bet they have one at the bar," Kevin replied. 'I'll be right back."

The forced smile on Katie's face fell the moment Kevin walked away. "What are you doing?" Katie asked her friend.

"I just wanted to meet him," Lindsey said.

"There's meeting him and then going all fangirl," Katie snapped at her.

and then there's going all psycho fangirl," Katie snapped.

"He's all over you," Lindsey whined. "Why are you being so mean to me?"

"I'm not being mean, but we were having a moment," Katie said.

"Oh..." Lindsey said. "I'm sorry, Katie."

"Just get your autograph and go," Katie said forcing a smile again as Kevin reappeared.

"Here you go," Kevin handed Lindsey a piece of parchment.

"Thanks!" Lindsey said hugging it to her.

"See you later," Katie said. "Much later."

Lindsey smiled at Kevin before reluctantly taking her leave.

"So where were we?" Katie asked eagerly.

"You were telling me what a great friend I was," Kevin said with a grin.

"Right," Katie said. "Friends..."

Kevin shook his head. "It's strange, you know? Being friends with you after everything that happened."

"Yeah I suppose," Katie replied, wishing she could turn the conversation the way it was going before Lindsey interrupted.

"You're different from Ashley," Kevin said thoughtfully. "But---I think more like me, does that make sense?"

Katie nodded eagerly. "We are SO alike."

He studied her for a few moments and Katie felt her stomach flip.

"What are you thinking?" she asked in a low voice.

"Something I probably shouldn't," Kevin said quietly.

Katie felt like she could hardly breathe. "You can tell me."

"Katie?" Bradley's familiar voice called out.

"No," Katie muttered under her breath. Bradley approached the table with Caroline in tow.

"Hi you two," Katie forced a convincing smile onto her face.

"We've been looking for you," Bradley said quietly.

"I just ran into Kevin here," Katie said sweetly. "He's a family friend."

"Alright, mate?" Kevin asked Bradley. He smiled at Caroline. "Hiya,

Caroline."

"Hi, Kevin," Caroline smiled back at him. "Nice to see you again."

"Did you get all your shopping done?" Katie asked.

"We did," Bradley nodded, still not smiling.

"I should go," Kevin said, standing up.

Katie nodded. "Thanks for lunch."

Kevin gave her a wistful smile before heading out of the pub.

Katie looked back at Bradley and Caroline. If they had ONLY come just a

minute later!

She knew she had no reason to feel resentful toward her boyfriend, but right now, she did.

"So what have you two been up to?" she asked.

"Maybe I could ask you the same question?" Bradley asked.

"Oh, I just ran into him outside and he offered to buy me lunch," Katie said truthfully. "You remember he used to date my sister..."

"That's nice," Caroline said, deciding to help Katie. "It's been ages since you've seen him."

"Since the summer," Katie nodded.

Bradley seemed to relax at this and he and Caroline sat down at the table.

"So did you buy me anything?" Katie tried to peek into his bag.

Bradley laughed. "I did, but you can't see it."

"A hint?" she asked.

"It sparkles," Bradley said.

"You'll love it," Caroline said with a grin.

"I do love shiny things," Katie said smiling back at her. Caroline was a

lifesaver.

"We got a lot done," Caroline looked at her bags. "My brother and sisters are

all taken care of for Christmas."

"You're always far ahead of schedule," Katie said. "Me, I wait until the last minute."

"So that means you haven't even thought about me?" Bradley put his arm around her.

"Not true," Katie said. "I bought your gift the moment we arrived in Hogsmeade.'

Caroline watched the two of them, feeling a bit wistful.

"That's my girl," Bradley said.

Katie felt satisfied for the time being. She wasn't quite sure what was going to happen between her and Bradley, but she'd finally gotten Kevin to notice her as something other than Ashley's little sister and she couldn't let that go.

*** *** ***

Kings Cross station was bustling with activity which made Frankie Barron quite nervous. Hannah was arriving home today and the family, along with Mallory, were going to meet her at the station. Frankie gripped Isabelle's hand tightly as they navigated through the crowd.

"Can Nate and me go through the wall with Daddy?" Isabelle asked. "To see Hannah?"

"Why don't you wait here with me and Mallory," Frankie said. "Then Daddy can get her and be back here faster."

"But I always go with Daddy to meet Hannah!" Isabelle protested.

"Today you'll wait with us," Frankie said in her no nonsense tone.

Isabelle pouted. "That's so not fair!"

"You'll survive," Frankie replied.

"Nathan doesn't go either," Isabelle said firmly. "If I can't, he can't!"

"He won't either," Frankie told her youngest daughter. "You both will wait with Mallory and me."

"Thanks, Izzie," Nathan said glaring at her.
"Shut it," Isabelle put her little hands on her hips.

"Isabelle," Frankie chastised.

Isabelle sat down with a huff. "It ISNT fair."

Frankie agreed with her daughter. It was not fair that their lives were currently lived by looking over their shoulders. David Wright had them all on pins and needles.

"When did Mallory say she'd be getting here?" Frankie asked her husband.

Will looked at his watch. "I told her the train usually arrives around noon. So she should be here any minute. "

"Yay," Isabelle cheered up.

Will smiled at his wife. "Alright?"

"Fine," Frankie said. "Let's just hurry and get her home. I have this horrible feeling--"

"No worries," Will told her. "It's a good day. Our girl's coming home."

Frankie nodded. "I just can't believe they haven't found him."

"Found who, Mummy?" Nathan asked.

"No one for you to worry about," Frankie told her son.

"There she is!" Isabelle called out. "Auntie Mallory!"

Frankie turned and waved the other woman over. "Hi, Mallory."

Mallory made her way through the crowd over to them. "Hi, guys!"

Frankie gave her a hug. "It's good to see you."

"Good to see you too!" Mallory said. She grinned at the twins. "And look at these two---how old are you now, Izzie and Nate? Seventeen?"

"No," Isabelle giggled. "I wish!"

Will chuckled. "And on that note, I'm going to head over to the platform. Train should be arriving any minute."

"I thought the kids and I could wait for you while Will goes for Hannah." Frankie told Mallory. "It's insane on the platform."

"Sure," Mallory nodded. "That sounds fine."

It got more crowded near the entrance to the platform and so Will went ahead in while Mallory told Frankie she wanted to go grab herself a coffee.

"Do you want anything?" Mallory asked. "You or the children?"

"I think we're okay," Frankie replied. "Thanks though."

Mallory grinned. "I'll be right back."

She headed towards a small coffee stand and bought herself a cup. On her way back she stopped to browse at a newsstand when a hand clamped down on her arm.

"Long time, no see," David Wright's cold voice whispered in her ear.

Mallory felt her blood freeze.

"Where's my little girl?" David asked, his grip tightening on her arm.

"You don't have a little girl," Mallory managed.

"I followed you here," David said. "She coming back from that freak school?"
"I don't know what you're talking about," Mallory tried to pull away from him. "You son of a bitch--"

David laughed. "I want to wish her a 'Happy Christmas'."

"You'll never TOUCH her!" Mallory said angrily.

He pulled her away from the newsstand and she opened her mouth to scream, but he clamped a hand over her mouth.

She struggled to open the top to her coffee and she splashed the hot liquid in his face.

David cried out in pain. "You bitch!"

"Help!" Mallory cried out.

A security guard at one of the kiosks heard her and ran toward them. David took off on a run.

"No!" Mallory said. "Catch him! You have to get him!"

The guard ran after David, leaving Mallory shaking. She couldn't see where David had disappeared to, but it looked like it was in the direction of where Frankie was waiting with the kids.

On Platform 9 3/4, Will smiled when heard the Hogwarts Express. He couldn't wait to see his daughter. It was hard sending her away when they knew David Wright was skulking about.

He and Frankie planned to tell her the truth the moment they arrived home.

He saw Caroline and Emma get off the train and waved to his nieces. "Isn't Hannah with you?"

Emma giggled. "No---she's talking with Jo-ey."

"Who?" Will asked.

"Her boyfriend!" Emma sing-songed.

"He used to live with Grandma and Grandpa," Caroline explained. "And then he got adopted."

"Boyfriend?" Will asked. "She's twelve...."

"They're not really dating," Caroline gave Emma a look. "Just friends, Uncle Will."

Emma giggled. "Come on, Caroline! I'm hungry!"

Caroline spotted their parents crossing the barrier. "There's Mum and Dad right now. Bye Uncle Will!"

"Bye, girls!" Will called after them. He looked around to see if Hannah had gotten off the train, but didn't see her anywhere. He combed every inch of the platform for any sign of his daughter.

"Hannah!" he called as the platform began to empty out. To his relief, he saw Hannah exiting the train with a boy. "Hannah!" he waved to her. "Over here."

Joey said goodbye to Hannah and Hannah ran toward her father. "Daddy!"

"Hi sweetheart," Will hugged her. "I was getting worried about you."

Hannah nodded. "I'm sorry! I was talking and I lost track of time."

Will nodded. "We should get you home. Your mother and I have something to talk to you about."

Hannah looked around. "Why aren't she and Izzie and Nate on the platform?"

"They're waiting just outside with Mallory," Will told her.

"Aunt Mallory's here?" Hannah asked excitedly.

"She is and she can't wait to see you," Will replied, grabbing Hannah's trunk

"Let's go," Hannah said. She waved at the boy she had been talking to and

Will levelled his gaze at her.

"What's this I hear about you having a boyfriend?" Will asked.

"Daddy," Hannah gave him a look. "Joey isn't my boyfriend. We just used to stay with Ron and Luna, remember?"

"The one that used to call you 'Hannah Banana?'?" Will asked.

Hannah blushed. "He doesn't say that anymore. He's a lot nicer now."

Will mussed her hair. "I see. You are definitely your mother's daughter."

Hannah giggled. "That's okay with me."

"And don't worry; we haven't decorated the tree yet. We're waiting for you."

"Good," Hannah said as they came through the barrier. She scanned the

crowds for her mother, aunt and siblings.

"They were right here," Will said looking around as well.

"Will!" Frankie called to him. She was clutching the hands of their two children and Mallory was next to her, her eyes red and she was holding her arm.

A Muggle policeman stood beside them writing something down. Hannah looked at her father. "Daddy? What's going on?"

Will sighed. "He was here."

"Who?" Hannah asked.

"David Wright," Will answered.

Hannah paled.

"He went after Mallory," Frankie said quietly.

Hannah gripped Will's hand tightly and looked at her aunt. "I'm so sorry, Aunt Mallory."

"It's okay, sweetheart," Mallory said. "I'd never let him get to you."

Nathan and Isabelle looked at their big sister and she hugged them tightly. She hated to think what might have happened if her father had tried to harm them.

"He didn't come near anyone but me," Mallory said. "But the guard lost him in the crowd."

"We'll let you know if we find anything," the police officer said. He handed Frankie and Mallory his card.

"Thank you," Frankie replied. "Come on, let's get out of here."

"Right," Will said. "Come along, Hannah."

Hannah took her father's hand and they headed out of the station.

Hannah was silent as she got into the car. Why was her father doing this? Why couldn't he just leave them alone?

"How's your arm?" Frankie turned to look at Mallory. The hot coffee had splashed her skin and burned it.

"It's okay," Mallory said. "My nerves are another story altogether."

"I'm sorry," Hannah apologised.

"No," Mallory said, reaching for her hand. "It's not your fault, Hannah."
"I feel like it is," Hannah said. "Why does he want me so badly?"

"He's not your Daddy anymore," Isabelle said innocently.

"He never was," Hannah muttered.

"You have a great father now," Mallory said. "And he isn't going to let anything happen to you."

"Not a chance," Will looked back at his daughter.

Hannah met his eyes and smiled.

"Hannah," Isabelle said. "Will you help me wrap my presents?"

"Sure," Hannah replied. "If you'll help me with mine."

"And mine," Nathan said.

"Of course," Hannah said smiling at her brother. It would be nice to have something to do to keep her mind off of what had happened.

"Mallory, you're welcome of course to stay for dinner," Will offered. "We would love to have you."

"Please?" Hannah asked her aunt. "I'd really like it if you stayed."

"I couldn't say no to that," Mallory smiled, but Frankie could see it was a bit trembly.

They arrived home and Will immediately set about putting extra wards on the house. Mallory was going to ring her boyfriend back at home while Hannah got settled. Frankie helped her daughter with her trunk.

"It seems so much heavier when I come home," Hannah said.

Frankie laughed. "I know." She looked at her daughter. "Oh, my girl. You seem like you've grown up overnight."

Hannah smiled at her and then told her about Joey. "He's not as mean as he used to be."

"What house is he in?" Frankie asked.

"Ravenclaw," Hannah answered.

Frankie smiled. Will had been in Ravenclaw. "Ravenclaw boys are some of

the best."

Hannah blushed. "That's Daddy's house."

"Yes, it is," Frankie said. "So, tell me...how cute is little Joey now?"

"Pretty cute," Hannah admitted.

Frankie giggled. "And do you have any classes together?"

"Charms," Hannah said.

Frankie smiled. "And do you fancy him or are you just friends?"

"Just friends," Hannah said, but she blushed.

"Uh-huh," Frankie teased.

"Don't tell Daddy," Hannah said.

"Your secret is safe with me," Frankie promised.

"I'm not going to date him," Hannah said. "He's just really cute.'

"Of course," Frankie said nudging her. "Come on. Let's finish up."

Hannah unpacked her clothing and changed her jumper before following her mother back downstairs.

"Your dad's sending some Aurors over to guard the house," Will told Frankie.

"Good," Frankie said. "I just cannot believe that man."

"What does he want?" Hannah asked.

"We don't know," he answered.

Will put his arm around her. "But, I promise you this, we're going to keep you and your brother and sister safe. I promise, Hannah."

"And Mallory?" Hannah asked.

"Of course," Will said. "Your Grandpa is going to have someone watching her, too."

"At least he can't find me in Florida," Mallory replied, coming into the room

Hannah hugged her aunt.

"You are so beautiful, sweetheart," Mallory said. "Just like your mother."

Hannah smiled. "Thanks."

"So," Will levelled a gaze at her. "Tell me more about Joey."

Hannah blushed. "There's nothing to tell, Daddy."

"Nothing wrong with her being friendly with Joey," Frankie said.

"Emma said he was your 'boyfriend'," Will said.

"Emma doesn't know," Hannah said, casting a look at her mother.

"Hannah's only twelve, Will," Frankie said. "And you know how Emma likes to embellish."

"Right," Hannah said.

"I remember that when YOU were twelve, you were juggling two boyfriends," Will said to his wife.

"I was a special case," Frankie informed him.

"Two boyfriends?" Isabelle asked with a grin.

"It would have been three if Jason hadn't found out about the other two," Frankie replied.

Hannah giggled. "Mum!"

"I was lucky to have a boyfriend when I was sixteen," Mallory said. "Much less twelve."

"Your parents were really strict?" Hannah asked.

"I don't think guys thought I was that pretty," Mallory said.

"Your beautiful, Aunt Mallory," Hannah said.

"Thanks Hannah," Mallory said. "My boyfriend I have now agrees with you."

Hannah grinned. "Are you spending Christmas with him?"

"I'll be back just in time," Mallory nodded.

"Han-nah!" Isabelle called out from her room. "Come help!"

"Uh oh," Hannah said. "I'm being summoned."

"We'll call you for lunch," Frankie promised.

Once Hannah was gone, Will looked over at Mallory. "How's your arm?"

"A little sore," Mallory admitted.

"Let me take a look," Will said.

Her upper arm was quite bruised and Frankie winced just looking at her.

"I think it looks worse than it feels," Mallory said, looking at the bruises and the burn from the coffee

"That horrible man," Frankie said, shaking her head. "He shouldn't even be free!"

"No, he shouldn't," Mallory agreed as Will went to go find a salve.

"And not knowing where he is or what he's doing scares me to death," Frankie admitted.

"Me too," Mallory agreed. "How he knew where we'd be today..."

Frankie had been asking herself that as well. There was nothing they could do to change what had happened, but they were going to keep a close watch on the children. It was the only thing they could do, Frankie thought. He was not going to ruin their Christmas. Hannah was home with her family where she belonged.