Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter finds Gabriel getting released from the hospital AND RJ and Audrey tying the knot! We hope you enjoy! And please, please, please review!

Gabriel spent a week in the hospital and he was beyond ready to leave. The day he was discharged, he was ready to go before the ink was even dry on the papers. What he did not know was that his grandparents had a surprise welcome home party planned for him. His friends and family were waiting inside.

Lewis helped Gabriel out of the car while his grandmother watched.

"Gran, relax," Gabriel told her. "I'm fine. Clean bill of health."

"I can't help but worry about you," Margaret said. "When I heard you'd been shot--"

"I know," Gabriel said. "But I'm fine now."

Margaret hugged her grandson. "Come on. I have some cookies I made for you inside."

"She baked all last night," Lewis said.

"Gran you shouldn't have--" he said.

"I live to spoil you," Margaret said following behind them.

Gabriel opened the door and tossed his bag on the chair just inside. "It'll be good to get back to work tomorrow--"

"SURPRISE!" Gabriel jumped as his friends and family entered from the kitchen.

"What?" Gabriel looked around with a grin. "What are you guys doing here?

"Welcoming you home, Moron!" Nico exclaimed clapping him on the back.

"Oh," Gabriel winced a bit.

"Easy," Margaret said. "We just got him back, Nico."

"Sorry," Nico said. "I'm glad you're all right, man."

Gabriel hugged his best friend. "Thanks. Me too."

He looked around the room for Stephanie and saw her hanging back uncertainly by the stairs.

"There's my girl," Gabriel said smiling at her.

"Hey Gabe," she said softly.

"She helped me set everything up," Margaret said.

"It looks great," Gabriel said, taking her hand.

"Welcome home," Stephanie whispered.

"I missed you," he said, drawing her close. "You haven't been around at the hospital much."

"I picked up some extra shifts at the diner," Stephanie said looking away. "And I've been meeting with my counsellor."

"You're seeing a counsellor?" Gabriel asked.

Stephanie nodded. "Your grandmother thought it would be a good idea."

"I think it's a great idea if it's helping you," Gabriel squeezed her hand.

Stephanie looked like she was going to say something when Seamus and Lavender came over to say something.

"Gabriel," Lavender hugged her stepson. "We're so glad you're home."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "I never thought I'd say how much I wanted out of the hospital."

Seamus smiled. "Someone record the date and time."

"From one workaholic to another," Gabriel said grinning at his father.

"Like father like son," Lavender said, putting an arm around Stephanie. "Thank goodness for us, right?"

Stephanie gave a slight smile. "Right."

"Are you all right?" Gabriel asked when Seamus and Lavender moved away to talk to Margaret.

"Fine," Stephanie said. "You should say hello to the rest of the guests."

"I will," Gabriel replied. "Once I find out what's wrong."

Stephanie started to protest but he led her into the empty kitchen.

"Come on Steph," he said. "Tell me what's going on."

"You never would have been in there had it not been for me," Stephanie said. "Everyone here knows it."

"That's ridiculous," he told her. "No one blames you, least of all me."

Stephanie's lower lip trembled.

"Come here," Gabriel took her in his arms. "Steph... if we went back and had that happen again, I'd do it the same way."

Stephanie buried her face in his shoulder.

"I love you," he told her. Stephanie pulled away to look at him and he wiped a tear from her cheek.

"You are not at fault here," Gabriel said. "Tony made the decision to do what he did, and he's paying for it now."

"I hate him," Stephanie said fiercely. "I wish I had never set eyes on him."

"You won't have to," Gabriel reassured her. "Not again."

Stephanie hugged him tightly.

"All right?" he asked, running his fingers through her hair.

"Now that you're home and healthy, yes," Stephanie replied.

"I'm fine," he told her, giving her a kiss. "Missed you."

"I missed you," Stephanie said looking up at him with her eyes shining.

Gabriel smiled at her then leaned in and kissed her again.

"I love you and I can't wait to have you all to myself, but I know there's loads of people in there that want to see you too," Stephanie said. "We'd better go back to the party."

"Promise me we'll have some alone time later?" Gabriel asked.

"Absolutely," Stephanie promised.

Gabriel kissed her one more time before following her out of the kitchen,

He was surprised to see his med school friend, Blake talking to his father. Blake's arm was still in a sling, but he looked perfectly happy. Stephanie and Gabriel walked over to him.

"Blake," Gabriel said, "Glad you came, man."

"Of course," Blake said. "You know me. Always up for free drinks and food."

Gabriel laughed. "I see how it is."

"How are you?" Stephanie asked. "I'm so sorry---"

"Not your fault," Blake told her. "Gabe filled me in.

Stephanie smiled. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"Thanks," he grinned at her.

Margaret called to Stephanie for help and Stephanie excused herself, leaving Blake and Gabriel alone.

"So when are you back at work?" Blake asked. "Me and the other interns are tired of waiting on you," he joked.

"Funny," Gabriel said. "I'll be showing all of you losers up tomorrow when I'm back on the job."

"Big words, Boyd." Blake replied.

Gabriel laughed, but his laughter died away when he saw a familiar face crossing the room. "What the hell is she doing here?" he asked Blake.

"I don't know," Blake said as Melanie approached them. "I didn't invite her."

"Hey, guys!" Melanie said grinning at them. "How are the former patients?"

"Why are you here?" Gabriel asked.

"The rest of the interns are here," Melanie pointed out, slipping her arm around him.

Gabriel pulled away. "I don't want to see you, Melanie."

"What?" Melanie asked, pulling an innocent face. "Why not? I was actually there, you know? When they brought you in."

"Because you were on duty," Gabriel said. "I'm sure otherwise you wouldn't have been around."

"Where's that waitress of yours?" Melanie asked. "Trying to get that psychotic boyfriend of hers out of jail?"

"Wow, way to win him back, Mel." Blake said sarcastically.

Melanie cast him a dirty look that clearly told him to stay out of it.

She turned her attention back to Gabriel. "Don't tell me...that little street urchin is here? This was her fault, after all. If it wasn't for her, none of this would have happened."

"Melanie, just leave," Gabriel said. "Why would you even come here and then act like this?"

"She nearly got you killed," Melanie started to explain. "And I just thought---"

"You just thought what?" Gabriel snapped. "That I'd forget all about her because I got shot?"

Melanie nodded. "None of this would have happened had it not been for her."


Gabriel rolled his eyes in disgust. "You need to leave. Now."

Stephanie came out of the kitchen carrying a cake but froze when she saw Melanie.

"Speak of the devil," Melanie said coldly.

"Get out of my house," Gabriel told her. "Now."

Melanie stared at him. "What?"

"You heard me," Gabriel replied. "Leave."

"If I leave--" she began.

"...you're never coming back?" Gabriel asked with a smirk.

"You're a jerk," Melanie snapped.

Gabriel ignored her and walked over to Stephanie.

"I can get that for you," he said, taking the pan from her.

"Gabe?" Stephanie asked confused. "What just happened?"

"I'm not even sure," Gabriel watched as Melanie stalked out of the door.

"She doesn't look too happy," Stephanie commented.

"Not my problem," Gabriel said.

Stephanie watched as Gabriel set the cake down. She was not sad to see the other girl leave.

"Did you make this?" he asked her.

Stephanie nodded. "I'll get you a piece."


"An extra large one," he said, winding his arms around her from behind.

"Well, you are the guest of honour," she said leaning against him.

"So I get leftovers too," Gabriel said. "I need them after a week of hospital food."

"We'll fatten you back up," Stephanie said turning to grin at him.

"I hope you will," he teased.

Stephanie handed him a plate. "Here, you can get started."

"Perfect," he said, squeezing her side.

She smiled at him. "You know, when I was in the kitchen, I was thinking of how lucky I am. I don't want to dwell in the past. I still have you and I have friends and for the first time, I feel like I have a future."

"Sure you do," he nodded. "With me."

Stephanie beamed. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Gabriel said softly. "Things are so different with you, Steph."

He wrapped his arms around her and held her close. What he did not tell her was that he was going to marry her someday. She was still getting her life together and he was going to be busy with med school.

For now he decided to keep those thoughts to himself and just concentrate on the present. Being shot had put things in perspective for him.

Stephanie took a bite of his cake. "Not bad if I do say so myself."

He grinned at her. "The chef compliments herself... I like that."

Stephanie laughed. "Nothing but the best for Dr. Boyd."

He kept his arm around her waist. "How's the new place?"

"It's okay," Stephanie said. "I--the first couple of nights after the shooting, I slept with the lights on."

"I wish I'd been there with you," he said.

"Me too," Stephanie replied.

"I need to spend a few days here with my grandparents and then I'll stay over with you," he told her.

Stephanie grinned. "Yeah?"

"Promise," he replied.

Gabriel felt someone tap him on the shoulder. He turned and saw his father. "Dad."

"How are you feeling?" Seamus asked.

"I'll give you a few minutes," Stephanie said, leaving them.

"What's up?" Gabriel asked him.

"I'm just really glad that you're okay, son," Seamus said. "You scared me. The thought of losing you---"

"It wasn't that serious a wound--" Gabriel tried to reassure him.

Seamus shook his head. "You nearly died, Gabe."

"Dad--" Gabriel tried again.

"Listen to me," Seamus said. "You are the most important person in the world to me. I missed out on so much with you and it took us a long time to get to this place."

Gabriel nodded. "I know. Thank Dad." he gave his father a hug.

"Don't ever scare me like that again," Seamus said.

"I don't plan to," Gabriel said wryly.

Seamus laughed. "I'm glad you're home, son."

"Me too," Gabriel said. "I definitely prefer being next to the hospital bed rather than in it."

"How's Steph holding up?" Seamus asked.

"I think she's going to be all right, especially once she realises this isn't her fault," Gabriel gazed at his girlfriend

"It'll take awhile, but she's got you in her corner," Seamus said.

"She sure does," Gabriel said. "She' really amazing, Dad. Reminds me of mom."

"Sam would have loved her," Seamus recalled.

Gabriel nodded in agreement. "Can you imagine the cook offs they would have?"

Seamus let out a wistful laugh. "I can imagine."

"I'm going to marry her," Gabriel told his father. "Someday."

"Yeah?" Seamus asked with a grin.

"I just feel it's right," Gabriel said.

"Well, I know I've never seen you happier," Seamus said thoughtfully.

"I never felt this way for a girl," Gabriel said. "Not even Alexa."

"I'm happy for you," Seamus said. "Margaret and Lewis love her too. Your granddad is an old curmudgeon must of the time, but look at him..."

Gabriel laughed. "She won them over while she was staying here."

"What have you heard about that Tony?" Gabriel asked. "Is he---will he be going to trial?"

"I got the best DA in the city," Seamus said. "The prosecution is airtight for attempted murder and domestic abuse."

"I can't believe he's having the nerve to plead not guilty," Gabriel said, shaking his head.

"He's psychotic," Seamus said grimly.

"She's told me some of the things that he did to her," Gabriel said. "She's held back a lot too, but sometimes I think it's a miracle she survived."

"I'm glad you two found each other," Seamus said.

"Me too," Gabriel said looking across the room at his girlfriend. His father was right, they did have a long way to go, but they had each other and that was enough.

*** *** ***

Saffron Kirke looked quizzically at her friend. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Audrey laughed as her cousin styled her hair. "It's a little late to turn back now if I was having second thoughts, isn't it?"

Saffron shook her head. "I've known him since we were babies and I think it's only fair you know what you're getting into. He likes to belch the alphabet for one thing and he thinks it's endearing..."

"I think I cured him of doing that," Audrey replied.

"And let's face it," Saffron said shaking her head. "His table manners..."

"Leave a lot to be desired," Audrey laughed. "I know, I know..."

Darla laughed. "And he can't carry a tune to save his life..."

Saffron giggled. "But we already know he's an amazing uncle, and an all around good bloke. But if any of you tell him I said that--"

"We know," Drew said consulting her clipboard. Audrey and RJ's wedding was a small affair at a Muggle hotel. They had thought briefly about having it at the Burrow, but since Audrey was a Muggle as was all her family, this was the easiest solution.

"I'm really happy for you two," Saffron told her. "Finally...."

"After all this time," Audrey said beaming at her.

"You look amazing," Saffron sat down on one of the sofas. "I can't wait to see RJ's face.'

"He's going to flip," Drew said. "Little Junior...all grown up. Mum's already in tears downstairs."

"And your dad's already in the hotel kitchens," Saffron cracked as Ellie opened the door.

"Mummy!" Ellie exclaimed, doing a twirl to show off her flower girl dress.

"You look beautiful, baby." Saffron said to her daughter.

"You do," Audrey said to the little girl. "Did your Uncle RJ see you yet?"

Ellie nodded. "He said I was the prettiest girl here next to you."

Audrey grinned. "And what about...Rafe? Did he see you?"

Ellie made a face. "He ran away from me!"

"He's just playing hard to get," Maddie said to her niece.

"Like Uncle Ethan?" Ellie asked, making all of them laugh.

"And she finally wore him down," Drew teased.

Maddie laughed. "I'll be downstairs- I'll make sure everyone is ready."

"Thanks, Maddie," Audrey said.

"And I'll keep RJ out of trouble for the next fifteen minutes," Maddie added before shutting the door.

Audrey looked at herself in the mirror and smiled. She could not believe that in fifteen minutes she would be walking down the aisle to marry RJ.

"Perfect," Saffron told her. "Totally perfect."

"Thanks," Audrey said. "And--thank you for being my matron of honour."
"I'm surprised you didn't want your cousin Becca," Saffron replied.

"Well, you're one of RJ's best friends and you've become one of mine too," Audrey said.

"And since Andrew was standing up with RJ, I wanted you to be up there with us, too."

"I'm happy you asked," Saffron gave her a hug. "Are you ready?"

Audrey nodded and grabbed her bouquet. Downstairs, RJ was pacing in the corridor. His mother and father stood off to the side. Ron was grinning, but Luna was clutching a tissue and sobbing. "My baby boy..."

"Mum," RJ complained.

"Go easy on her," Ron said to his son. "She's just realised that all of our sprogs are married now."

Luna sobbed louder.

"Mum, come on," RJ said walking over to her. "We can't have you putting on the waterworks during the ceremony. You'll flood the room."

"I'll be okay," Luna wiped at her eyes.

She looked at her oldest son and straightened his tie. Her lower lip trembled and RJ hid a grin.

"Little Junior, finally tying the knot," Jon said. "You know, you could have just eloped like Joshie and me and saved yourself the trouble."

"As if I want to follow your example," RJ scoffed. "Besides, Aud wanted a real wedding."

"And I want to be there to see my baby take his vows," Luna fussed with RJ's hair.

"Her baby," Jon teased, mimicking his mother's movements with RJ. "Shall we get him a new nappy for the occasion?"

RJ smacked his brother's hand away. "Knock it off."

"You going to make me, Junior?" Jon grinned.

"Jonathan," Luna warned her son

"You're in trouble now," RJ said grinning at his older brother. "This definitely brings back memories."

"Hello," Saffron said coming down the corridor toward him. "Aren't you ready yet RJ?"

RJ smiled at his friend. "I am beyond ready, Saf."

Saffron grinned at him. "You clean up well, Weasley."

"So do you," RJ grinned back. "Where's that husband of yours? Some best man he is, leaving me in my time of need."

"We had an Edward emergency," Saffron replied. "Dirty nappy."

Jon came up behind his brother. "Same thing just happened here with RJ."

Saffron laughed as RJ glared at his brother. "We should be nice," she said. "It's his special day."

"Come on," Ron said to his wife and Jon. "We should go take our seats."

"See you down there," RJ said to his parents.

Luna started to cry as she followed Ron out and RJ rolled his eyes at Saffron when they were alone. "They're happy tears," RJ said shaking his head. "She's usually not this emotional. I think it's because I'm the last of the lot."

"I remember all too well," Saffron said. "My dad was like that."

"How's Aud?" RJ asked.

"She can't wait to see you," Saffron told him. "And despite my best efforts to talk her out of this, she still wants to marry you." she added teasingly,

RJ grinned. "Your powers of persuasion have finally failed!"

Saffron poked him. "I'm happy for you both."

Andrew arrived with a grin. "Edward's with Alexa and Dimitri and Darla said it was time."

Saffron smiled at them both. "Ever think we'd get to this day?"

Andrew chuckled. "Ickle RJ all grown up."

"Funny," RJ said, walking out ahead of them.

Saffron gave RJ a quick peck on the cheek before heading in the opposite direction to join Ellie and Audrey. RJ took a deep breath as he and Andrew made their way toward the altar.

"Gonna be alright, mate?" Andrew asked.

RJ nodded. "I'm fine."

"Just concentrate on Audrey," Andrew advised him,

RJ nodded and took his place.

"You look perfect," Saffron told Audrey. "Absolutely perfect."

"Thanks," Audrey said taking her father's arm. Saffron knelt down and looked at her daughter. "Ellie, remember to do just as we practiced. Don't throw all your petals all at once, okay?"

"And walk to Daddy," Ellie recited.

"Right," Saffron said grinning at her. "On the count of three...one…two...three..."

Ellie took a deep breath and started heading down the aisle. She saw her father smile at her and give her a thumbs up.

Ellie smiled back at him as she took her place at the altar. She giggled as RJ made a goofy face in her direction.

"See you down there," Saffron smiled at Audrey before heading down herself.

Audrey and her father followed a few moments later. RJ stared in awe at his bride.

She looked positively radiant as she broke out in a smile.

From the audience, Maddie smiled at Ethan as she watched her brother and Audrey exchange vows.

"Feels like so long ago that was us," Maddie whispered to her husband.

"We're not that old," Ethan said nudging her.

Maddie grinned. "We'll never be old, will we?"

"Not us," Ethan said squeezing her hand.

"I just can't believe my baby brother is getting married," Maddie gazed at the couple.

"Neither can your mum," Ethan whispered motioning to Luna.

Maddie smiled. "She'll be okay once it's over."

Ethan chanced a look over to where his own parents were. To his relief, they were holding hands.

"RJ, you may now kiss your bride." the words brought Ethan out of his thoughts and he watched his brother in law lean in to kiss his new wife.

RJ gave her a lingering kiss as their family and friends applauded.

Audrey laughed and put her arms around his neck. "I love you."

"I love you, Mrs. Weasley," RJ said grinning at her.

She laughed again as they turned and hurried down the aisle together.
"Wait!" Ellie called. "I didn't throw all my petals down!"

"Throw them now, baby," Andrew told her.

Ellie smiled. "Okay."

Rafe walked by her with his stepfather and Ellie threw some petals at him. "Did you see me?" she asked him.

"Yeah," Rafe answered.

Ellie beamed at him.

"Perhaps later you two can dance," Liam said.

Ellie nodded happily. "Yay!"

"I guess," Rafe shrugged. "But don't try to kiss me or anything."

"Eww gross," Ellie said.

Liam laughed. "See, buddy? No worries."

"Let's go find Mummy," Rafe said.

"Daddy!" Ellie ran towards her father. "Was I a good flower girl?"

Andrew picked her up and swung her around. "You were fantastic, baby girl."

"I get to dance with Rafe later," she told him, giggling.

"What about me?" Andrew asked. "Do I get to dance with you, too?"

"First dance," Ellie promised him.

"That's my girl," Andrew said setting her back down.

"Let's go see Uncle RJ and Aunt Audrey," Ellie tugged at his hand.

"Okay," Andrew said.

The bride and groom were currently surrounded by a sobbing Luna who was only outdone by Molly Weasley.

"Nana," RJ wheezed as his grandmother hugged him. "Can't---breathe."

"You're a married man," Molly wiped her eyes. "Our little RJ."

"Remember when he used to run around the garden in just his nappies?" Luna asked.

"Mum!" RJ exclaimed.

Audrey laughed. "It's cute, RJ."

RJ just shook his head. "I thought everyone was supposed to be nice to me today."

"We tease where we love," Saffron said. "Right, Audrey?"

"You know it," Audrey gave her a hug.

Alexa and Dimitri joined them. "Audrey, you look so beautiful," Alexa gushed.

"Thank you Alexa," Audrey gave her a hug. "I'm happy you and Dimitri are here to celebrate with us."

"Of course," Alexa said. "It was a lovely ceremony."

"Just the way we wanted it to be," Audrey said as RJ put his arms around her.

"Photos," Drew said. "Sorry to interrupt."

"Duty calls," RJ said. "Private time with my wife."

Audrey beamed at him. "Wife."

RJ grinned back at her then picked her up and swung her around. Audrey's laughter filled the air and RJ held her close. They were married and he had never been more sure of anything in his life.

Andrew put his arm around his own wife. "He finally caught up."

"Finally, after all this time," Saffron said leaning against him.

Andrew and Saffron watched as the photographer took several photos of the new husband and wife. Audrey was positively glowing.

Audrey smiled at RJ as the photographer snapped away. "So, you're still not going to tell me where we're going on our honeymoon?" she asked him.

RJ laughed. "I suppose it's about time I do that, right?"

"Yes," Audrey poked him. "I didn't know what to pack!"

"Well," RJ grinned. "It's a honeymoon. Clothes aren't really necessary..."

"RJ!" she exclaimed, laughing.

"Okay, okay," RJ said. "Well, I suppose I should tell you. How do you feel about...Hawaii?"

"Really?" she asked excitedly.

RJ nodded. "I take it that grin means you like?"

"I love it!" Audrey said, kissing him. "When do we leave?"

"Tonight, Mrs. Weasley," RJ replied.

"Not soon enough Mr. Weasley," she returned.

"Just wait until you see the resort I booked," RJ said. "You'll love me even more."

"Is that possible?" Audrey asked softly.

RJ smiled. "Just you wait."

"When do we eat, RJ?" Ron came up to his son and daughter in law.

"Dad, do you think of anything else?" Ron joked.

"Not when my stomach's empty," Ron said. "Emma's the same way."'

"And Maddie and me," RJ said. "Come on then. Let's eat."

Darla helped usher everyone to their tables then looked around for her husband. "Liam," she said, coming up behind him.

"Yes?" he asked with a grin.

"I have to talk to you," she took his hand.

She pulled him out of the reception room and out into the hall. Liam looked expectantly at her. "What's going on?"

"I just talked to Lizzy," she said

"And what was my partner up to?" he asked. "Last time I saw her, she was running after the triplets..."

"Did you notice my dress isn't fitting like it used to?" Darla asked coyly.

"You look beautiful," Liam said putting his arms around her.

"Look at me," she said, turning to the side.

He raised an eyebrow. "Dar?"

"I'm pregnant," Darla said.

Liam gaped at her. "What? You're---"

"Three months," she finished.

He watched as she patted her stomach. "We're having a baby..."

Darla held up a folded piece of parchment. "This will tell us if it's a boy or girl." she said. "Do we want to know"

Liam nodded. "Well, if you do..."

Darla handed him the paper and watched him unfold it. "Well?"