Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Sorry for the uploading issues last chapter. The last chapter was corrected and we hope to have no more issues with that. Please read and review!

Stephanie awoke the next morning with a smile on her face. Although she was still worried about Tony, she had not heard or seen from him. It was peaceful here with Gabriel, but she knew it could not last. They had spent the last couple of days, holed up here in his house watching movies and just talking with him. This little cocoon of happiness was not going to last forever because his grandparents were supposed to come home that evening.

"Hey," Gabriel poked his head into the spare bedroom. "I'm going to grab us something for breakfast."

Stephanie sat up in her bed and smiled at him. "You don't have to. I could make us something---"

"I'm just going to a diner a few blocks away," Gabriel said.

"I know I keep saying this but 'thank you'," Stephanie said softly. "You've been amazing."

"I'm not that great," he said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Stephanie reached for his hand. "You are to me."

He leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss. Stephanie rested her forehead on his. "I like waking up like this."

"Me too," he agreed softly. "And going to bed like this..."

Stephanie blushed. "Almost perfect."

Gabriel kissed her again. "I'll be back in twenty minutes."

Stephanie grinned. "Blueberry pancakes?"

"If that's what you want," he said.

Stephanie nodded. "Please?"

"Sure," he agreed. "Just make yourself comfortable."

"I'll take a shower," Stephanie said pulling back the covers.

"See you in a bit," Gabriel said as he left.

Stephanie was smiling as she grabbed a change of clothes from her bag. She and Gabe had grabbed a few things from her apartment while Tony was at work. She took a nice, hot shower and slid one of Gabriel's larger sized shirts on while she combed out her hair. She heard the front door and she hurried out to greet him.

"That was quick," she said with a grin. "Oh!" Louis and Margaret Boyd stared at the half-dressed girl. "I am so sorry," Stephanie's face blushed red. "I um... we didn't expect you home..."

"Who is this, Maggie?" Louis asked.

Stephanie managed to stammer out her name. "I'm um... I'm a friend of Gabriel's. He was letting me stay here for a few days while--"

Understanding dawned on Margaret's face and Stephanie realised Gabriel must have told her the situation. "Of course," Margaret said. "And, um, where is my grandson?"

"Getting breakfast," Stephanie said lamely.

"It's okay," Margaret reassured her. "Why don't you go and get dressed?"

"Yes ma'am," Stephanie turned and fled back to the guest bedroom. She had never been so mortified in her life.

His grandparents must think the worst about her, Stephanie thought morosely. She had hoped that their first meeting would have occurred under better circumstances than this.

Meanwhile, Gabriel arrived back home with a large white bag containing their breakfast.

"Steph?" Gabriel called out.

He was shocked to see his grandmother step out of the kitchen. "Your friend is getting dressed," Margaret said.

Gabriel paled. "What---what are you doing here?"

"We wanted to come home a bit early," Margaret replied.

Gabriel set the bag down. "It's not what you think, Gran."

"I wasn't sure what to think at all," Margaret said bemusedly.

Gabriel gave his grandmother a quick overview of what had happened the other night at the bowling alley. "She had nowhere else to go. She took out a restraining order against him..."

"Oh my," Margaret shook her head. "That poor girl."

"We hadn't really thought about where she was going to go after this," Gabriel admitted.

Lewis regarded his grandson. "We don't want trouble here, Gabriel," he began. "But we won't turn away someone who needs our help either."

Gabriel nodded gratefully. "Thanks, Grandpa."

Stephanie peeked back around the corner and Gabriel motioned for her to come into the kitchen. "I'm really sorry," Stephanie started to tell his grandparents.

"It's all right dear," Margaret smiled kindly at her.

Stephanie looked at Gabriel for reassurance. "My grandparents said you can stay here until we figure out what to do," Gabriel told her.

Stephanie shook her head. "I couldn't impose---"

"You aren't imposing," Margaret insisted.

"Thank you," Stephanie said. "It won't be long, Mrs. Boyd. I promise."

"Lewis and I will leave you two alone to enjoy your breakfast," Margaret said.

"Thanks," Gabriel said to them.

"I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed," Stephanie said in a low voice. "Walking out in front of them in your shirt…"

"Its fine," Gabriel reassured her opening the bag.

Stephanie gazed up at him as he took the containers out of the bag. If she let herself be truthful, she'd had feelings for him for quite awhile now.

"Blueberry pancakes," Gabriel said setting the container in front of her. "With lots of syrup."

"Perfect," she said. "Thank you."

"Someday you'll be eating them in your own restaurant," Gabriel said.

"I still dream of that happening," Stephanie said. "Owning some five star place where someone like your father and stepmother dine all the time..."

Gabriel handed her a glass of orange juice. "You'll do it, Steph. I have faith in you."

"I have a long way to go," Stephanie replied.

"My dad is always telling me that nothing worthwhile is ever easy," Gabriel said sitting back down.

"I could say that about a lot of things in my life," Stephanie said thoughtfully.

"Me too," Gabriel said reaching for her hand. "But look at what you've done so far, Steph. Taking out that restraining order and leaving that asshole was a huge first step. I'm proud of you."

"I couldn't do any of this without you," she said softly.

"I wish I had done more," Gabriel said. "The day you came in to the hospital with your wrist..."

"It's all right," she looked away.

Gabriel shook his head and moved his chair closer to hers. "Steph..."

"It's a situation I shouldn't involve anyone in," she said.

"Why?" Gabriel asked her.

"I got myself into it," Stephanie answered simply.

"And you're getting yourself out of it," Gabriel said squeezing her hand.

"Thanks Gabe," she said.

"Eat," Gabriel said smiling at her. "Before it gets cold." Stephanie managed a smile back before digging into her food. They sat in companionable silence, eating their food.

"So I'm back at work today," she said after a few minutes.

Gabriel nodded. "You spoke to your boss, right? About Tony?"

"He didn't care for him, so keeping him out of the restaurant isn't going to be difficult." Stephanie replied.

Gabriel was relieved to hear this. "I'm back at work, too. I have a shift at the hospital later."

"Will you come by afterwards?" Stephanie asked.

"Of course," Gabriel said. "We can do something fun tonight if you're not too tired."

"Like what?" she asked.

Gabriel smiled at her. "What would you like to do?"

Stephanie shrugged. It had been a long time since she'd been able to relax and enjoy herself. Normally she had to work all the time so Tony didn't have to.

"Well, how about you and I pick out a Christmas tree?" Gabriel asked. "We usually decorate around this time."

"I've never done that before," Stephanie said, a smile spreading across her face.

Gabriel smiled back. "Usually my grandfather has to do it, but he never picks out a good one. One year he brought home one that we couldn't even fit through the door."

Stephanie laughed. "I think it sounds like fun."

"It's a date," Gabriel said.

She blushed. "A date."

They finished their breakfast and Gabriel dropped Stephanie off at the diner a few minutes later. He was worried, but he knew her boss would watch out for her at the diner. He promised to see her later that evening and set off for the hospital.

He changed into his scrubs in the locker room and tossed his stethoscope around his neck before heading out for his first round.

He joined his fellow group of interns and tried ignore the daggers Melanie was sending his way.

He knew he would have to deal with her soon, but he wanted to put it off as long as possible. Thankfully, rounds with their resident kept them busy. Gabriel tried to concentrate on the patients, but at the moment his mind was elsewhere. He was worried about Stephanie.

Meanwhile, Melanie was positively fuming. She couldn't believe that Gabriel had left her at the bowling alley then ignored her for two days. What he saw in that pathetic waitress was beyond her. She slammed her charts down at the nurse's station and nearly bumped into a red-haired girl who looked lost. "Watch where you're going!" Melanie snapped at her.

"I'm so sorry," the girl apologized politely. "I wonder if you could help me--"

"Help you with what, Mary Poppins?" Melanie asked disdainfully, mocking the girl's English accent.

Alexa raised an eyebrow at the girl. "Where is Gabriel Boyd- Finnegan?" she asked coolly. "He's interning here."

Melanie rolled her eyes. "Probably saving another damsel in distress."

"Beg your pardon?" Alexa asked.

"I don't have 'information' stamped on my forehead, do I?" Melanie retorted, not noticing that Gabriel had come up behind her. "I don't know where he is and I don't care."

"And I don't need the attitude," Alexa replied. "All I'm asking is a simple question."

Melanie sighed. "You're wasting your time. He's busy tending to some tramp from the valley..."

"What was that?" Gabriel couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Melanie froze. Slowly, she turned around.

"I had you pegged completely wrong," Gabriel said, looking at her as if it were the first time. "I thought you cared about people- about helpingthem."

Melanie shook her head. "I do, Gabriel. Look..."

"You are not the person I thought you were," Gabriel replied, shaking his head. "We're through."

Melanie glared at him. "Big mistake, Boyd. Big mistake."

Gabriel rolled his eyes as she turned and stomped away.

"Well..." Alexa said. "I guess something can be said for my timing..."

"Long story," Gabriel said giving her a hug. "This is a nice surprise, Lex."

"I missed you Gabe," Alexa hugged him back. "You look wonderful."

"So do you," Gabriel said. "So what brings you back to California? Big story?"

"Kind of," Alexa said. "I came to see you. I have something to tell you."

Gabriel nodded. "Come on. I have a few minutes. We can grab a coffee."

"Great," Alexa said. "It's nice to be back here, even if it's only for a few hours."

Gabriel chuckled and led her over to the elevator. He had a feeling she had some questions for him as well. It would be nice to catch up with her. It had been ages since they had last seen each other what with their busy schedules.

"Saffron wanted to write to you, but I thought it better to come see you in person," Alexa said once they'd gotten their coffee.

"You're making me nervous, Lex," Gabriel said. "It's not something bad, is it?"

"No," Alexa said, sitting back. "Not at all." she paused thoughtfully for a moment. "I'm married."

Gabriel gaped at her. "Married?"

"Yeah," Alexa nodded. "Just a few months ago."

Gabriel noticed the ring on her finger. "I didn't even know you were seeing anyone."

"It happened rather quickly," Alexa said. "But Dimitri makes me so happy."

"Dimitri?" Gabriel asked. "That the lucky guy?"

Alexa fished in her bag and showed him a picture.

Gabriel smiled. "You looked beautiful, Lexie. Congratulations."

"Thanks Gabe," she smiled at him. "I wanted to tell you in person, like I did Saffy."

He listened to Alexa as she told him about her new husband---how he was a photographer, how they had met on an assignment. She seemed very happy. Happier than he could ever remember seeing her.

"Everything's just sort of fallen into place," Alexa said. "I hope it's been the same for you."

Gabriel gave her a wry smile. "Not exactly."

"So you've been gallivanting around with tramps from the valley?" Alexa asked, her eyebrow raised.

Gabriel felt a surge of anger toward Melanie. He shook his head. "There's a girl, but she's not a tramp. Far from it."

"I'm sure she's not," Alexa replied, touching his arm. "Tell me about her."

Gabriel leaned back in his chair. He told her about Stephanie---about how they had met. "She drew me in and I didn't even know it. We were friends, but I started seeing Melanie and she has---had a boyfriend."

"How awful for her," Alexa said. "And you're so noble to help her out, Gabe. I'm glad she has someone like you."

Gabriel shook his head. "I just want to protect her."

"The knight in shining armour," Alexa joked.

Gabriel laughed. "Not quite. I mean I'm not some Russian photographer..."

"But you're you," Alexa said. "And you're fantastic."

"Thanks," Gabriel said genuinely. "She's going to stay with my grandparents and me until she can find her own place."

"That's lovely," Alexa said. "She's lucky to haveyou."

"I think you'd like her," Gabriel said.

"Hopefully someday I'll get to meet her," Alexa said. "I want you to meet Dimitri. It's important to me that you two like each other."

"If he can make you this happy, I'm sure I'll like him," Gabriel said.

"We'll pop over for dinner soon," Alexa promised. "For now... my parents are still getting used to the idea of him and me being married.

"How'd they take it?" Gabriel asked.

"Well..." Alexa paused. "I suppose we were lucky that my father doesn't own a gun..."

Gabriel winced. "That bad?"

"My mum ran and cried in the kitchen for about an hour," Alexa said. "And then my father grilled Dimitri for the next day... I seriously contemplated taking him and running off."

"Well, it was a big shock for them," Gabriel said thoughtfully. "And they didn't even know you were seeing anyone, let alone married. Cut them some slack. They'll come around."

"They're already starting to," Alexa finished her coffee. "At least I think so."

"And Saffy?" Gabriel asked.

"She's still waiting for her chance to grill Dimitri," Alexa said with a grin.

"Uh oh," Gabriel laughed. "Is he ready?"

"I'm not sure," she shook her head. "Saffy wanted to send you an owl with the news but I thought you should hear it in person from me."

"I'm glad," Gabriel said. "I've missed you, Lexie."

"I've missed you too," Alexa said. "Hopefully we can stay in touch better. Travelling like I was made it so hard, even to owl."

"So, you're going to be around a little more now?" Gabriel asked teasingly.

"I hope to be," Alexa nodded. "I miss Ellie and Edward... and Dimitri and I want to have our own children."

"You'll be a great mum," Gabriel said smiling at her.

"And maybe someday, you'll be a great dad," Alexa nudged him. "When you take a breath, that is."

"Are you saying I'm a 'workaholic'?" Gabriel asked pretending to be affronted.

"Like father like son," Alexa returned.

"Very funny," Gabriel said, looking at his watch. "I should get back..."

Alexa nodded. "Thanks for taking time to have coffee with me."

Gabriel stood up. "Of course. I'm always happy to see you."

Alexa gave him a tight hug. "Be careful with that girl I met when I came in. She's a bit loopy."

Gabriel nodded, thinking Alexa did not know the half of it. Melanie was not the person he thought she was. He just wished he had noticed it sooner.

"Don't' be a stranger," she said when they reached the desk where he'd left his folder. "Come visit us too. Saffy, Andrew and the rest of them all miss you."

"I will," Gabriel promised. "Tell them 'hello' for me."

Alexa hugged him one more time then left him at the desk. He watched her go feeling a bit surreal. She had been his first love and she was married now.

It felt a bit strange thinking about that, but he bore no ill will over the situation. Theirs had been a mutual breakup and he only wanted her to be happy.

The rest of his shift passed by without incident mainly because he and Melanie ignored each other. Gabriel prided himself on not missing much, which was why he could not believe how blind he had been about Melanie.

He had a lot of studying to do, but he figured once he and Stephanie had picked out their tree, he could pull an all nighter and cram for the quiz he had that next day.

He arrived at the diner and could not help the smile on his face when he saw Stephanie behind the counter. "Excuse me, miss?" he asked. "What does a guy have to do around here to get a piece of pie?"

She looked up and a grin spread across her face. "Gabe!"

"How'd it go?" Gabriel asked her.

"No sign of him," Stephanie said, pouring him a cup of coffee. "I half expected him to show up and demand me home but... nothing."

"Maybe he's smarter than I gave him credit for," Gabriel said resting his hand on top of hers for a moment. "I couldn't stop thinking about you today."

"Hmmm," Stephanie smiled at him. "That'll definitely get you a piece of pie."

Gabriel smiled back at her. "That's all it takes?"

She laughed. "Well, for the really good pie..."

"I see," Gabriel said as she got them both a slice of pie. She sat down beside him and he could not resist kissing her on the cheek. She blushed a bit as he stuck his fork into his pie. She wasn't used to being treated so nicely by a guy.

"So, how was your day?" she asked him.

He told her about Melanie and Alexa's visit. "I don't know how I could have been so ridiculous," he said. "Not seeing her for how she is."

Stephanie knew all too well what Melanie was really like. "She showed you the person she wanted you to see. You would have caught on eventually. Her true colours would have shone through."

"Like yours have?" he asked with a grin.

"Stop," she said. "You're embarrassing me now..."

"It's not as bad as greeting my grandparents wearing just my shirt?" Gabriel teased.

Stephanie's face turned even redder. "I'm not going to live that down am I?"

Gabriel laughed. "Two or three years tops."

"I see how it is," Stephanie said. "No more free pie for you."

Gabriel laughed as Stephanie took his plate. "Steph!"

"This is my turf," she laughed.

Gabriel nudged her. "Not fair."

"My turf my rules," she said, sliding his plate back over to him.

Gabriel nodded and help up his hands. "Fair enough."

Stephanie looked over and saw her boss behind the counter. He caught her eye and nodded and winked to her.

Stephanie smiled. With each day, she was beginning to think that she would be able to put Tony behind her.

*** *** ***

With Harry's situation, his healers had strongly recommended that he find a place to stay that was smaller than the Minister's mansion. Since Ethan and Maddie had moved out, the cottage was empty and Harry decided it would be best if he and Hermione moved back in there.

Their three children were helping them pack. Saffron was helping her mother in the library while Julie and Ethan packed things downstairs with Harry's instructions. While he still was unable to walk, he was getting some of his magical abilities back.

"Dad are you sure you just don't want to stay on one level here?" Julie asked. "I mean, as long as Mum is the minister you're supposed to stay here right? With all the wards and such?"

Harry was staring out the window and either did not hear or was choosing to ignore her question.

Ethan sighed. "Dad? Jules asked you a question."

"I heard her," Harry snapped.

"The healer said it would be better for him to be in a smaller space where he would have easier access to the kitchens and the loo," Ethan answered for his father. "This house is so big even on one level."

Julie nodded. "I understand."

Saffron entered the room levitating a box behind her. "Mum's having trouble choosing which books to take with her. She said it would like having to choose a favourite between the three of us. I told her it was okay since I was so obviously the favourite..."

"Oh please, Brat," Ethan shook his head. "My nickname isn't Golden Boy for nothing..."

"I gave them their first grandchildren," Julie said with a grin. "And I was their firstborn."

"This is a ridiculous discussion," Harry said icily.

Harry angrily wheeled out of the sitting room. Saffron shook her head.

"We can't say anything right these days," Julie gazed after their father.

"It's not your fault, Jules," Ethan told her. "He's feeling sorry for himself and taking it out on us."

"Well he shouldn't," Saffron said bluntly.

"Just let him be," Ethan said.

"Whatever," Saffron said, closing the box she was carrying. "He should stop taking this out on Mum too."

"How is she doing?" Julie asked.

"Honestly?" Saffron asked. "I think she's barely holding it together."

Julie sat down. "I wish there was something we could do."

"Best thing is to let them work it out," Ethan replied.

Saffron set her box down and decided to go back to the library. Ethan and Julie were too busy walking on egg shells around their parents. Hermione was still using her wand to box up books and Saffron smiled. "You still sure you don't want to take them all, Mum?"

"I can't fit them in that cottage, Saffy," Hermione replied. "It's all right. I can always come back here for any that I need."

Saffron came up behind her and rested her head on her mother's shoulder. "This library was my favourite room in the whole house. I remember sitting with you on that chair over there and you reading to me."

Hermione smiled thinly at the memory. "From the day we brought you home..."

"You'd finish one book and I'd say 'one more, Mummy'," Saffron grinned.

"So we'd read another, and another..." Hermione recalled.

"Until I fell asleep," Saffron said.

"I miss those times," Hermione said.

"Me too," Saffron said. "So many happy memories."

"Perhaps once your father is recovered we'll move back in here," Hermione glanced around the library.

"Of course you will," Saffron said smiling at her. "This is home."

Hermione nodded. "Yes, but so is the cottage."

Saffron smiled. "Your first place."

Hermione sighed. "Maybe living there again will help your father. I don't know what else to do."

"He hasn't been very nice to you," Saffron said, phrasing it as a statement rather than a question.

"He's frustrated--" Hermione began to make excuse.

"Mum," Saffron interjected. "He might be frustrated, but you're only trying to help. There's no need for him to talk to you like that."

"It's not your place to worry about it," Hermione told her daughter. "Come on. Let's get these packed up."

Saffron nodded. "Of course." They finished packing the books Hermione wanted and headed into the main foyer.

"Harry?" Hermione called out for her husband.

Harry came out of his office. "Yes?"

"Are you ready to head over to the cottage?" she asked.

"I suppose," Harry grumbled. "I'm ready to get settled."

"That's good," Hermione said as encouragingly as possible.

Ethan and Julie came over to them. "Looks like everything's ready downstairs," Julie said brightly.

"Let's go then," Harry said sharply. "I don't have all day."

Julie winced at her father's tone. "Um, yeah. Of course."

"I'll levitate your chair down," Hermione said. "And we'll be off once we're clear of the wards."

"Maddie's meeting us over there with lunch," Ethan said.

"Good," Harry said shortly. "Hermione go get my papers off my desk. I need to take them with me."

Hermione made a move for Harry's office, but Saffron levelled her gaze at her father. "She's not your servant, Dad. You're more than capable of getting those yourself. You were just in there."

Harry glared at his youngest daughter. "Don't speak to me that way, Saffron Grace."

"Don't you speak to Mum that way," Saffron told him. "You know you're in the wrong here, Dad."

"Saffy--" Ethan interjected. "Don't--"

"I'll get it," Julie offered.

"No!" Saffron exclaimed. "Dad can get his own papers. He can get his books, his clothes, whatever else he needs! He complains about us hovering too much then demands we drop everything. Make up your mind!"

Harry wordlessly turned around in his chair and angrily wheeled into his office.

"Saffy that was totally uncalled for," Julie said quietly to her sister.

"Someone needed to say it," Saffron said defensively.

"You could have been nicer about it," Ethan said. "Dad's in a delicate situation."

"And we're not helping matters by babying him," Saffron said. "Ethan, you know I'm right."

"It's all right," Hermione said, rubbing her forehead. "I'll go help him get his papers."

Hermione walked into the office. "Which ones did you want to take with you, Harry?"

"All of them," Harry said snappishly, shoving some into his case. "How am I supposed to work from home if I don't have them with me?"

Hermione ignored his tone and started gathering files. "We'll set up your office in the cottage," Hermione said. "I really can't believe we're going back there. So many happy memories. It will be just like old times, I think."

"Old times?" Harry snorted. "In old times, I could walk. This is hardly like old times."

Hermione looked apologetically at him. "Right, I'm sorry. I was just saying--"

"Let's just go," Harry pushed his chair past her.

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes as she followed her husband out of the office. She felt so distant from him.

Saffron opened her mouth to say something when Ethan pinched her arm. "Ow!" Saffron glared at him.

"Just leave it, Saffy," he said with clenched teeth.

Julie looked at her siblings. "Come on, let's go."

Saffron glared at her brother before shrinking down the boxes and stuffing them into her pocket.

They arrived at the cottage a few minutes later. Maddie greeted them with a grin. "I hope you lot are hungry. I made enough sandwiches to feed a small army---or at least a small portion of the Weasley family."

"Harry should eat something," Hermione said. "It's almost time for his therapy."

Saffron nodded. "And while he's doing that, we can unpack and get things settled."

"Great," Maddie smiled at her father in law.

"Thanks for doing this," Hermione said patting Maddie's shoulder. "You've been a great help, Maddie."

"It was nice being back in this place again," Maddie said. "I'd missed it."

Ethan gave his wife a kiss. "Me too."

Harry pushed himself into the kitchen. "Hermione, I want some butterbeer."

Hermione nodded. "Of course."

"A please would be nice," Saffron said to her father.

"It's---its fine," Hermione said hurrying into the kitchen.

"Dad," Saffron said. "I know what's happened to you is awful, but it's been hard on Mum too."

Harry looked away. He knew that he was being horrible to his wife and he hated himself for it.

"Just let her take care of you," Saffron said her tone softer. "You know she'll do anything for you."

Harry nodded and steered himself in the direction of the kitchen. Hermione was busily pouring the butterbeer into a mug. "Maddie's really stocked the kitchen well," Hermione commented.

"Yeah," Harry nodded. "It'll be nice to not have to go anywhere for food."

Hermione handed him the mug. "I think this will be good for us."

"Thanks," Harry looked up at his wife. "Hermione--"

"Yeah?" Hermione asked expectantly.

"I think this will be good for us too," Harry said hastily.

Hermione smiled. "You do?"

He nodded. "This will make things easier for my recovery."

"Absolutely," Hermione said kneeling down.

Harry wasn't quite sure what to say to his wife. He knew his behaviour was deplorable, but he was so frustrated and it was easy to blame someone else.

"Your therapist should be here soon," Hermione said. "How about we go ahead and eat lunch?"

"Fine," Harry replied, pushing himself back towards the table.

Hermione called out for the others. "I don't know about you, but I'm famished."

"I'm always hungry," Maddie came into the kitchen.

"We're lucky she didn't eat it all before we got here," Julie joked.

"Especially the chocolate chip muffins," Ethan teased his wife.

"Shut it, you," Maddie nudged him.

"I'm starved," Harry said. "I haven't really had an appetite for awhile." He gave his wife a slight smile.

Saffron was right---he should remember that he was not alone in this. She was here and she was trying to be supportive. He was going to try to remember that.