Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter is a shorter one---but you get H/Hr which is always a good thing, especially this close to Valentine's Day! And Ashley and Brittany stumble across something that blows both their minds!

Please read and review!

Harry finished with his physical therapy session and decided to do something he had not done since Neville's ceremony. He decided to visit Auror headquarters.

His therapy that day had gone amazingly well. Harry had regained almost all the feelings in his legs.

He was smiling when he wheeled into the office. All work seemed to stop as the group of Aurors watched him. Some of these women and men he had trained himself and he did not miss the pitying looks on their faces.

He sat up straighter. "Why aren't you all working?" he asked.

Ethan came forward. "Everyone back to work."

He smiled at his father. "Look at you, Dad."

"Son," Harry said smiling up at him. "I just wanted to check out the old stomping grounds."

"They're still your stomping grounds," Ethan told his father.

"So what's been going on?" Harry asked following Ethan to his desk.

"Nothing, really." Ethan said. "Either we caught all the bad guys or they're lying low these days."

Harry smiled. "And how are my grandchildren?"

"They're all fine," Ethan said with a grin. "Arielle started walking."

"Uh-oh," Harry chuckled. "That makes all of them now, eh?"

"We had to baby proof the house," Ethan said. "They're everywhere."

"Well, if you made it through Saffron crawling all over the place, I think you can handle them," Harry joked.

"No forts this time though," Ethan said.

"Not this time," Harry said. "And your sister seems to have forgiven me for acting like a right arse to your mother and everyone."

"You know Saf can't stay mad at you," Ethan said.

"Thankfully," Harry said.

"So how was your therapy?" Ethan asked.

Harry looked around to make sure no one could hear. "Um, very good actually," Harry said with a grin.

"Yeah?" Ethan asked. "What happened?"

"I've got all the feeling back in my legs," Harry told him. "All of it. The therapist said she'd never seen anything like it."

"That's incredible!" Ethan exclaimed.

"My magic levels are up too," Harry continued.

"What can you do?" Ethan asked.

"I'm getting back the basics," Harry replied. "I'm working the hardest on the wandless magic, though.."

Ethan was amazed. "Mum is going to be through the roof when she hears about this!"

Harry shook his head. "Don't say anything yet, Ethan."

"Why not?" Ethan asked.

"I want to make sure I'm a hundred percent back before I let her know," Harry said. "I want to surprise her."

"Okay..." Ethan answered. "How do you plan on hiding all this from her?"

Harry shrugged. "I'm not sure and she's not the easiest person to keep things from. She notices everything."

"Tell me about it," Ethan said dryly.

"So, you won't say anything?" Harry asked.

"Of course not," Ethan replied.

"Thanks," Harry said gratefully. Ethan saw Neville approaching them and he waved the chief inside.

"Harry!" Neville said in surprise.

Harry grinned. "Neville, good to see you, mate!"

"You too," Neville smiled at him. "You look great!"

"Trying," Harry said with a grin. "And how are things as the 'boss'?"

"It's great," Neville said. "We miss you here."

Ethan clapped his father on the back. "If you keep on improving, we'll have you back, Dad."

"I can't wait to be back," Harry nodded.

Ethan grinned. He was thrilled to see the light in his father's eyes again. "There are some cases we would love you to look over," Ethan said. "Just to get your opinion."

"I'd love to look at them," Harry said, pushing himself up. He wobbled a little as he stood.

Ethan resisted the urge to help his father.

Harry managed to steady himself on his own. He was glad that neither of the other men helped him.

Ethan showed his father the case files and Harry spent the better part of the next hour giving his insight into each case.

"Maybe..." Neville began. "Maybe you should come back, part time. Do what you're doing right now, and then when you've recovered and you want to, we'll put you back on the field."

Harry looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

"What do you say?" Neville asked.

"I'd like that," Harry replied.

"That'll be great!" Ethan said happily.

"I should go and tell Hermione," Harry said. "I promised I'd take her to lunch."

"We'll expect you tomorrow then," Neville said. "And lateness will not be tolerated." he joked.

Harry saluted his old friend. "Yes, sir."

"He runs a tight ship," Ethan nodded.

Harry laughed. "Don't I know it."

"Say hi to Mum for me," Ethan said as Harry made his way slowly to the door.

Harry was still in good spirits when he made it to his wife's office. He chatted politely with Samuel and waited for his wife to finish the conference fire call she was on with the Belgian minister.

"We're very glad to see you on your feet," Samuel said to him.

"Me too," Harry said. "Me too."

Hermione finished her call with the other Minister and came into the outer office. "Harry!"

He smiled and pecked her on the cheek. "Hello, my love."

Hermione beamed at him. "How was therapy?"

"It went really well," Harry said. "I'm knackered, but not too knackered to take my wife to lunch."

"Good," Hermione said. "Sam, hold any more firecalls until I get back, okay?"

"Sure," Samuel replied. "Enjoy your lunch."

"We will," Hermione said, taking Harry's free arm.

"So where do you want to go?" Harry asked. "The Ministry cafeteria or do you want to go to a pub?"

"Let's get out of here," Hermione said.

"Excellent choice, madam," Harry said dramatically.

"You pick," Hermione said.

"How about that place near your parents' old practice?" Harry asked.

"Sounds great," Hermione answered, straightening his cloak.

Harry smiled. "I love you."

Unexpected tears filled Hermione's eyes. "I love you too, Harry. I'm so glad we're making this work."

Harry smiled. "I feel like it's falling into place."

"What did your therapist say about our trip to Hillsdale?" Hermione asked him.

"She said it would be a great idea," Harry replied. "Especially the lake. She's really big on exercising in the water."

Hermione smiled at him. "Exercising in the lake?"

Harry nodded, not catching her meaning. "We spend most of our first hour working in the pool."

Hermione sat back. Perhaps he wasn't quite ready to take that step yet. "Well..." she said. "This time Ethan can help you swim."

Harry chuckled. "We've come full circle."

"Yes we have," Hermione said softly.

"But I'd like it if perhaps you helped too," Harry said giving her the lazy grin she loved so much.

"I wouldn't miss it," Hermione answered, leaning in to kiss him.

"What was that for?" Harry asked.

"I love you," she said softly.

"I love you too," Harry said touching her cheek.

Hermione kissed him again.

"Especially if you still have that red bikini," Harry said with a grin.

"I can't fit into that anymore," Hermione said.

"You're still beautiful to me," Harry told her.

"Yes well, I don't want to scare anyone." Hermione replied.

"You wouldn't scare anyone," Harry said sincerely.

"I'm so pasty," Hermione said. "And I'm nowhere as thin as I used to be."

"You want to talk pasty?" Harry asked shaking his head. "My therapist has to wear sunglasses when we're in the pool."

Hermione laughed at the imagery. "So we both need a little sun."

"Just a little," Harry teased.

"If your therapist can teach me a thing or two I'll help you while we're there," Hermione said.

"I might actually look forward to the therapy finally," Harry said.

Hermione grinned at him. "I'll work you hard."

"Should I be afraid?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Very."


*** *** ***

Ashley had two days off from her tour and decided to pop home for a few days. She didn't go to her house, but headed to Zander's instead. She knew he would be at the Philharmonic for another few hours and would use that time to make herself comfortable.

She set her bag aside and dusted the soot from her shoulders. "Hello?" she called out.

"Ash?" Brittany popped her head out from the kitchen.

"Brit!" Ashley exclaimed. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"The tour ended," Brittany said. "I'm just staying with Evan for a week or so until I find my own place."

Ashley gave her a hug. "So, still living peacefully?"

"Fantastic," Brittany said. "What are you doing here?"

"Have a couple of days off," Ashley replied. "Thought I'd surprise my bloke."

Brittany smiled. "He'll be ecstatic."

"I hope so," Ashley said. "I'm just going to go and set my things down in his room. I'll be right back so we can catch up."

"Sounds good," Brittany said. "I'll get us some tea."

Ashley disappeared down the hall and Brittany looked for the teabags. She opened up one of the drawers and saw a small box.

"What's this?" she murmured to herself as she opened it.

Brittany gasped as she saw a beautiful diamond ring inside.

Was this for her? Did Evan think to propose? Why would he hide the ring in this drawer?

Her hand was shaking as she pulled the ring from the box. It was gorgeous and exactly the type of ring she would have chosen for herself.

"Brit I--" Ashley came into the room and stopped when she saw the ring. "What is THAT?"

"The most beautiful ring ever," Brittany whispered.

"Did Evan propose?" Ashley asked with wide eyes.

"Not yet," Brittany replied, shaking her head. "I was looking for the tea when I opened the drawer and---there it was."

"Why would there be a ring in the kitchen?" Ashley asked, taking the ring.

"Who cares?" Brittany asked resisting the urge to snatch it back. "It's gorgeous! It's just the ring I would have picked for myself!"

Ashley stared at the ring. "You think Evan bought this for you? What if---what if Zander bought it...for me?"

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Please. My cousin would not know how to pick out a ring like this."

"Zander has great taste," Ashley said, turning it over in her hand.

"Love really is blind," Brittany said.

Ashley looked up. "There's no reason to be insulting."

"I'm not being insulting," Brittany said defensively. "But I've known him longer than you have. I mean, look how long it took him to tell you how he felt. You really think he'd be proposing this soon? You'll be lucky if the two of you marry by the time you're 40."

"Our trouble getting together was both of us," Ashley said. "Not just him."

Brittany took the ring back. "It's beautiful!"

"I say we ask the boys when they get home," Ashley took the ring out of Brittany's hand and put it back in the box.

"Are you mad?" Brittany asked. "We can't ask them! If they know we know it ruins the surprise!"

"Well then how are we supposed to know who the ring belongs to?" Ashley asked.

"It's Evan's obviously," Brittany said.

Ashley gave her a look.

"Evan and I have been together longer than you guys," Brittany pointed out. She held up her hand when Ashley started to protest. "Cumulatively, of course."

"I just think we're both jumping to conclusions," Ashley snapped the box shut.

"Well, what should we do then?" Brittany asked.

"Drop a few hints to them," Ashley said.

"We could do that," Brittany said thoughtfully.

"Subtle," Ashley said, jamming the box back into the drawer as the fireplace roared to life.

Seconds later, Zander appeared, dusting the soot off. He looked up in surprise when he saw Ashley and Brittany there. "ASH!"

She grinned at him. "Surprise!"

Zander dropped his things and swooped her up in a hug.

Ashley hugged him tightly. "I missed you."

"I missed you," Zander said pulling away to look at her properly.

"You two are sickening," Brittany announced.

"Don't talk about disgusting after what you and Evan subjected me to this morning," Zander told her.

"Right in front of you?" Ashley wrinkled her nose.

Zander nodded and shuddered. "I'm scarred for life."

"It wasn't THAT bad," Brittany glared at him.

"I might need therapy," Zander said.

"I'll give you plenty of that," Ashley whispered in his ear.

Zander grinned. "I like the sound of that."

"Well Evan should be home soon," Brittany said. "And I know what I need to talk to him about. You two have fun."

Zander saw the look on his cousin's face and he raised an eyebrow. "Why do I think she's up to something?"

"When isn't she?" Ashley asked, winding her arms around his neck.

"So where are you coming from this time?" Zander asked.

"Auckland," Ashley replied.

Zander gave her a kiss. "And I have you for how long?"

"A few days," Ashley grinned at him.

"Brilliant," Zander said hugging her to him.

Ashley closed her eyes as he held her even tighter. She wanted to sit in his arms forever.

"I can't wait until you're here all the time," Zander said softly.

"Just another few months," Ashley said.

"Seems like forever," Zander teased.

"Well you're going with me to Hillsdale right?" she asked.

"Absolutely," Zander replied.

Ashley gave him a kiss. "I can't wait. This will be even better than Brighton."

"You ever been there before?" Zander asked.

"No," Ashley said. "But it's where my grandparents and my parents met and fell in love."

"That's pretty cool," Zander said.

"Yes it is," Ashley said.

"Our place would be Hogwarts," Zander said with a grin. "On the Quidditch pitch."

Ashley giggled. "When we were eleven?"

Zander laughed, too. "Yeah, we'll show our children someday the bleachers where I first met their mother."

"Someone's thinking ahead," Ashley teased.

Zander turned a little red. "Well, you know if we ever have children...or if we don't...."

"We'll get to that point I'm sure," Ashley gave him another kiss. "But not yet."

Zander was ready to take their conversation to the bedroom when the fireplace roared to life again, announcing Evan's arrival.

"What's up," Evan dusted himself off.

"Ash surprised me," Zander replied.

"Nice," Evan grinned at her. "Brit around?"

"I'm here!" Brittany exclaimed before launching herself at him.

"She was spying on us," Zander said.

"No, I wasn't!" Brittany snapped.

"Why are you so cranky?" Zander asked his cousin.

"I just hate not knowing things," Brittany said. "You know...things..."

Ashley stared at her. "Brit!"

"Yes?" Brittany asked innocently.

Ashley shook her head. "Come on Zander,' she said. "Help me get settled in for the weekend."

"That has a nice 'ring' to it," Brittany said smiling at Evan, who raised an eyebrow.

"Are you feeling all right?" he asked her.

"I'm perfect," Brittany said looping her arms around his neck. "And I was just thinking how lucky I was to have you in my life."

"That's funny," he said. "I was thinking that too."

Brittany beamed at him. "I know you were!"

"You did?" he asked, amused.

Brittany nodded. "And I think you have excellent taste!"

"Are we on the same page here?" Evan asked her.

"I don't know," Brittany said nudging him. "Are we?"

"I'm not sure," Evan replied.

"Oh, you!" Brittany exclaimed. "I'm going to start on dinner."

"I thought we'd go out tonight," Evan said. "Unless you want to stay in..."

"I say 'yes'," Brittany said nudging him again. "To whatever you ask."

Evan was confused. "Brit, what's going on?"

"Nothing," Brittany said. "I'm going to get changed."

"Fine," Evan said, dropping his cloak on the chair.

Brittany practically floated out of the room and Evan watched her wondering if he was missing something.

He cared about her a lot. Their relationship had a lot of ups and downs but he enjoyed being with Brittany.

Things were definitely never boring when she was around.

He straightened himself up and sat down in the sitting room to wait for her. "Brit, we aren't going anywhere fancy!"

"Well, I like to look nice!" Brittany called out.

"I'm hungry!" Evan complained.

"What's with the yelling?" Zander asked as he and Ashley came out of his room. "And where are the takeaway menus? Ash and I are going to order something."

"Brit and I are headed out as soon as she finishes getting ready," Evan replied.

"Well, you're going to be around awhile," Zander joked, reaching for the menus they kept by the fireplace. "You sure you don't want us to order you something, too?"

"I'm tempted," Evan replied.

Ashley sat down beside Zander and they looked over the menus. Evan looked at her. "Hey, Ash?"

"Yeah?" Ashley looked up at him and smiled.

"Is Brit acting strange to you?" Evan asked.

"Um..." Ashley said. "I don't know..."

"Brit is strange, mate," Zander said.

"She's just being really weird today," Evan said.

"She's fine," Ashley reassured him.

"All right," Evan shrugged.

"She really loves you, Evan," Ashley said. "You have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks," Evan nodded. "Brit, come on!"

"I'm coming," Brittany said hurrying out of the room, as she put on her shoes.

"You two have fun," Ashley said.

Brittany winked at her. "You too."

"How about going for some Italian?" Evan asked her.

"Yes," Brittany replied. "I say 'I do'."

"Subtle," Ashley muttered.

"O-kay," Evan said, shaking his head. "Let's go."

"What on earth was that all about?" Zander asked his girlfriend.

Ashley let out a half-hearted laugh. "Who knows with Brit, right?"

"You were acting a bit weird too," he said. "Everything's ok?"

Ashley nodded. "Yes, of course. Why don't we order pizza?"

"Sure," Zander replied. "Pizza's great."

"It's not going to be like Malfoy pizza, but it'll do," Ashley said smiling at him.

"A Malfoy pizza?" Zander asked "What's that?"

Ashley grinned. "Katie and I used to make them when we were little."

"What was on them?" he asked.

"It would depend on our mood," Ashley told him. "One time Katie made a chocolate one."

"Maybe once we're living together, you can show me how it's done," Zander said.

"Deal," Ashley said.

Zander kissed her. "I'll go order. What do you want?"

"Extra cheese and veggies," Ashley replied.

"You got it," Zander said, disappearing into the kitchen.

Ashley hugged a pillow to her as she thought about that ring. Her heart told her that it was Zander's. Besides, Evan did not act like someone on the verge of proposing.

At the same time, she wasn't sure she wanted to get married yet. They were only nineteen years old.

She did know that she wanted nothing more than to be with him.

Ashley vowed that she wasn't going to ask him. That was purely up to Zander.

He would ask if and when he was ready.

"Pizza will be here soon," Zander came back in.

"Fantastic," Ashley said patting the space beside her on the sofa.

"Did I tell you how glad I am that you're here?" Zander asked, nuzzling her neck. "Because I am really, really happy about that."

Ashley closed her eyes. "You might have mentioned that."

"Good," he said, pushing her down on the sofa.

Ashley wrapped her arms around him and kissed him.

Brittany and Evan headed down towards the small Italian restaurant on the corner when she saw the windows of a local jewellery shoppe. "Ooooh..."

Evan chuckled. "Come on, Brit. I'm starving."

"I just want to look," Brittany said.

Evan did not look convinced but he joined her at the window.

"Look," Brittany pointed to a ring that looked very much like the one in the sitting room. "I LOVE that ring..."

"I'm not in love with that price," Evan mumbled.

Brittany looked at him for a moment, at a bit of a loss. "But--"

He put his arm around her. "It is a nice ring though."

She beamed at him. "Evan! Yes!"

He pulled away. "Yes, what?"

"Yes!" she exclaimed. "You don't have to pretend. I saw it!"

"Okay I am completely confused," he said.

Brittany sighed. "I saw the ring, Evan. It's in the sitting room at home. I told Ashley that it HAD to be yours because Zander just doesn't have that good of taste and-- what? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Evan put his head in his hands and groaned. "Brit--"

"What?" Brittany asked.

He reached for her hand. "Brit that ring is not mine."

She stared at him. "What do you mean?"

"Zander bought that a few weeks ago," Evan explained. "We've all given him hell for it."

"What?" Brittany asked again.

"It's not my ring," Evan said gently.

"You mean you don't want to marry me?" Brittany asked.

"We just got back together," Evan said.

"I know but--" she began.

"I'd love to marry you someday," Evan interjected.

Brittany's frown melted into a smile. "Really?"

He grinned. "Who else would have me?"

"No one but me is that much of a glutton for punishment," Brittany teased, but she couldn't help her disappointment,

"Someday I'll buy you an even nicer ring than that one," he promised.

"You will?" she asked softly.

He put his arms around her. "Absolutely."

Brittany hugged him back. "Ugh. You know what this means? Zander has good taste. I think hell just froze over."

Evan laughed. "I promise not to tell."

"Is he planning on proposing soon?" Brittany asked,

"I dunno," Evan replied. " You think Ash would say yes?"

"Of course she would," Brittany answered.

"So she didn't freak when she saw it then?"

"We sort of had a little argument on whose ring it is," Brittany said sheepishly.

"Oh, I see," Evan said.

"Wow..." Brittany said as they began walking again. "Zander and Ashley... married..."

"Well he hasn't asked her yet," Evan reminded her .

"When is he going to?" Brittany asked.

"He said something about waiting for the perfect moment," Evan said.

"Well hopefully he stays on it," Brittany said. "Sometimes he waits too long..."

Evan grinned. "True. He took how long to tell her how he felt?"

"Don't remind me," Brittany rolled her eyes.

Evan gave her a kiss. "So you don't mind waiting, for us, I mean?" Evan asked.

"Don't make me wait TOO long," Brittany replied, smiling at him.

"Come on," Evan said cheekily. "You'd be a beautiful seventy year old bride."

"Oh Merlin, Evan, if you make me wait until then--" she began.

"Sixty?" he amended.

Brittany poked him hard in the shoulder. "Twenty..."

"I better start saving," Evan said.

"Pronto," Brittany said, squeezing his hand.