Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter brings us more Ash/Zander! Enjoy!

"I want to marry Ashley," Zander said the words in a rush.

Nick looked at him in surprise. "I beg your pardon?"

"I know she and I haven't been together that long," Zander said. "But I love her. I have for a really long time. She's the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me and the best friend I'll ever have."

Nick stared at the younger man. "You want to marry Ashley?"

"Yes sir," Zander said nervously.

Nick shook his head and Zander felt his stomach plummet. "Unbelievable," Nick muttered.

"Sir?" Zander was barely able to manage the small word. "I just... would like your blessing."

Nick chuckled. "It's just the last couple of days have been monumental for me, I guess you could say. The other day, Kevin arrives and tells me he fancies Katie. And then you arrive, asking if you can marry my oldest daughter."

Zander relaxed, knowing that Nick wasn't angry.

"Just a lot for a father to take in all at once," Nick said leaning back in his chair.

"I'm sorry," Zander apologised. "I can come back--"

Nick shook his head. "No, no. It means a lot to me that you thought to come here and ask me."

"It does?" Zander asked.

"And I've never seen my daughter this happy," Nick said.

"She makes me happy too," Zander replied. "She always has."

Nick extended his hand. "Well, if you're asking for my blessing. You have it."

"I do?" Zander asked, a grin breaking across his face.

Nick chuckled. "You do."

"Wow," Zander seemed a bit dazed. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"When are you planning on asking her?" Nick asked.

"When she gets here," Zander said. "I figure I'll know the right moment."

"We can't wait to have her home for good," Nick said. "I have a feeling you feel the same."

"I'm really looking forward to it," Zander agreed.

Nick shook his head. "I can still remember her coming home that first summer from Hogwarts and telling us about the new friends she met. Zander this and Zander that."

"Really?" Zander asked interestedly. "She talked about me?"

"Are you kidding?" NIck asked with a laugh. "Every other sentence had your name in it."

Zander grinned. "I talked my parents' ears off about her too."

"And what do they think of this?" Nick asked.

"My parents are helping me with rent since I bought the ring," Zander dug in his pocket for the small box.

"WHOA!" Katie exclaimed, stepping inside the cabin just as Zander was pulling out the ring. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Katherine," Nick said. "I thought you were out with Kevin."

"I just came to get my sunglasses," Katie said peering over Zander's shoulder. "Nice! I didn't know you had it in you, Murray."

"Thanks, I think." Zander said dryly.

"Katherine, you're not going to mention this to your sister, right?" Nick asked.

"Well..." Katie said coyly.

"Katherine," Nick said firmly.

"Of course I'm not going to mention it to her," Katie said.

"Thank you," Zander said. "So, you think it's a nice ring?"

"It's gorgeous," Katie replied.

"Think she'll like it?" Zander asked.

"She'd be mad not to," Katie grabbed her glasses. "Toodles!"

Nick sighed. "Every grey hair on my head, I have her to thank for."

Zander laughed. "She's one of a kind."

"And might be your sister-in-law," Nick said. "You up for that?"

"I'll do anything to keep Ashley in my life," Zander said seriously. "Doesn't matter what it is."

Nick smiled. "Welcome to the family, Zander."

"Thank you," Zander pocketed the ring and shook Nick's hand.

"We'll make sure Katie keeps quiet," Nick told him.

"I know she will," Zander said. "I'm sure it won't take me long to ask her."

"So I guess we'll see you back here in a couple of days," Nick said.

"Yes," he nodded. "I'm looking forward to it."

"Good luck," Nick said walking him to the door.

"Thank you," Zander said feeling relieved as he left the cabin.

He knew that he and Ashley were young, but it was not as if they were going to get married straightaway. They could have as long an engagement as Ashley wanted. All he wanted her to know was that he loved her and wanted to be with her the rest of his life.

Plus he still had to finish his apprenticeship at the Philharmonic and she still wanted to study art at La Sorbonne. They had been through quite a lot in their young relationship, but it had all been worth it to make it here.

*** *** ***

The Potters had split up for the morning. Ethan was due to meet up with his father while his mother and sisters were enjoying a massage and facial in the spa.

His father was not at the cabin but someone said they had spotted him heading toward the dance studio.

"The dance studio?" Ethan asked. "Really?"

The older gentleman nodded. "Yes, with Cho Longbottom."

"Oh," Ethan said. "Thanks."

He headed up in the direction he thought the dance studio was in.

Ethan figured his father was watching Cho dance though he could not understand why his father would want to torture himself in that way.

He heard some tango music and opened the door to the studio.

His jaw dropped when he saw his father was DANCING with Cho. His father was not limping around, either. He was actually dancing. "Hold your frame, Longbottom," Harry was saying teasingly. "Look at your spaghetti arms."

Cho rolled her eyes. "My spaghetti arms? Please! Let's not even start on your posture."

"Dad!" Ethan asked in shock.

Harry turned. "Ethan---"

"What are you doing?" Ethan let the door bang shut behind him. "How?"

Cho hurried to shut off the music. Harry walked over to his stunned son.

"I think you need to sit down," Harry joked.

"You can walk!" Ethan exclaimed. "And dance!"

"That was actually supposed to be a surprise," Harry said. "More for your mum than anyone else."

Ethan raised an eyebrow. "When are you planning on telling her, Dad?"

"Last night here," Harry replied.

Ethan shook his head. "You'll never keep this from her for that long."

"So far so good," Harry answered.

"I told him the same thing," Cho said, handing Harry a towel. "But, he doesn't listen to me."

"I'll be able to do it," Harry insisted.

"Mum will be over the moon," Ethan said, a grin spreading across his face. "Dad, this is fantastic!"

"Thanks, son." Harry said, sitting down and grabbing for a bottle of water. "I've really been working hard at this."

"Luna and I have been helping him," Cho said with a grin. "He's come a long way."

Ethan sat down next to his father. "Is that the dance you taught Mum?"

Harry nodded. "Many, many years ago."

"Before you got old," Ethan said, his lips quirking upwards.

Cho giggled. "Uh-oh."

"Ethan James," Harry said. "I am hardly old."

"You're practically ancient, Dad," Ethan joked.

"Go on up there and let Cho dance with you," Harry challenged. "See how good you are."

Ethan vehemently shook his head. "No, thank you. I know my limitations."

Harry smirked. "Now who's old?"

Cho laughed. "Ethan, how are the babies doing?"

"Fine," Ethan said. "Mads and I miss them like crazy."

"You know Molly and Greta probably aren't going to want to give them back," Cho said.

"That's probably true," Ethan said. "Although I think Arthur will be okay with it. Tasha got into one of his toasters."

"Oh no," Cho laughed.

"It wasn't working, but she managed to pull something out if it," Ethan said.

Harry shook his head. "Tasha's Maddie's clone. She's lucky she has those puppy dog eyes."

"Not so lucky for me," Ethan replied. "I'm pretty powerless."

"We all are," Harry said.

"All right Harry," Cho said. "Break's over."

Ethan watched in awe as his father and Cho resumed their dancing. His mother was going to be speechless when she saw this.

Meanwhile, at the spa, Hermione, Julie and Saffron were all enjoying the last bit of their massages.

"We should do this more often," Julie said with her eyes closed.

"I agree," Saffron said. "This feels heavenly."

Hermione smiled. She enjoyed spending time like this with her girls. With their busy schedules, time like this had been rare.

"Once a month," Saffron looked over at her mother and sister.

"Deal," Julie said.

"I agree," Hermione said as her attendant worked out a knot near her neck.

Saffron smiled. "Andrew's probably going to need one of these after spending all day with Ellie and Andrew at the stable."

"I bet Maddie will take Kiera and Gwyn over and help him," Hermione said.

"Kiera and Gwyn better hope I don't see their father anytime soon," Saffron muttered.

Julie had to laugh. "Saffy, don't be so upset about that."

Hermione laughed, too. "He's just trying to get a rise out of you, sweetheart."

"He's doing a good job," Saffron grumbled as she slid her robe back on.

"And to think you used to follow him around adoringly," Julie teased.

"I was delusional," Saffron said.

Hermione laughed. "Hid his cauldron so he wouldn't leave for Hogwarts, she did."

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Again... delusional."

"And he used to guard your crib," Julie pointed out.

Saffron wanted to change the subject. "So Andrew and I are thinking of trying for a third baby."

"Saffy?" Hermione asked. "Really?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "There's enough space now between a new baby and Edward."

Hermione smiled. "Oh, sweetheart!"

"That's great, Saffy." Julie smiled at her sister as they sat back on a sofa together.

"I know it won't be easy," Saffron said. "But we want to try."

"I'm sure it will work out," Hermione said.s

"Another grandchild to spoil," Saffron said.

"Sometimes I wish Nick and I had tried for another," Julie said.

"Why didn't you?" Saffron asked thoughtfully.

"I'm not sure," Julie answered. "Too busy...."

"You're a great Mum, Jules," Saffron said smiling at her.

"Not always," Julie said dryly. "Those years when Ashley and Katie only interacted when they were fighting? Not my finest."

"Jules, come on," Saffron said.

"It wasn't," Julie said. "For either me or Nick."

"It was not easy, but you and Nick raised two beautiful, intelligent girls," Hermione said.

"Thanks Mum," Julie said gratefully. "And it is pretty calm and peaceful in the house now. Katie is over the moon about Kevin."

"Young love," Hermione said with a grin.

"I just hope she realises that he does have to travel a lot and sometimes he won't be in touch with her constantly," Julie said.

"As long as he brings her gifts, she'll be okay," Saffron said with a laugh.

"That's Katie," Julie smiled.

"And she and Ashley are really close now," Saffron said.

"It only took a few years," Julie said, getting herself a glass of water.

"Lavender and I were like that growing up," Hermione said.

"You fought a lot or you were friends?" Julie asked.

"We fought a great deal," Hermione said shaking her head. "We were so different."

"In a way it was nice being older than you or Ethan," Julie looked at her sister.

"Really?" Saffron asked.

"We didn't have all the animosity that siblings sometimes have." Julie said.

"I always wished you were younger so I could have someone to play with," Saffron said.

"You had Ethan," Hermione said. "I remember the races you used to have in the ballroom."

"I know," Saffron said. "But I wanted a sister to play with. I used to love going over to your house and having sleepovers when Nick was on tour."

Julie smiled as she leaned back. "I loved having you there."

"The house was so quiet after you left, Saffy," Hermione recalled. "Just your father and me in that big house."

"I miss it," she said. "I almost sometimes wish Andrew and I could move in there so Ellie and Edward can have some of the same memories I do."

"Those two would have fun in the ballroom," Julie grinned.

"You can bring them over to play in there," Hermione said. "Even though we're living in the cottage, I still go to the mansion for work."

Saffron grinned. "Mum, I would love that."

"I'll let you know next time I'm going over there," Hermione promised.

Saffron smiled at her mother. "So are you and Dad enjoying being back here?"

"I didn't realise how much I'd missed it until we moved back in," Hermione said. "And now that things are better with Harry..."

"Really better?" Julie asked.

Hermione nodded. "Almost like things used to be."

Saffron smiled. "That light is back in your eyes, Mum."

"Dad will walk again," Julie said. "You'll both have your lives back as if this had never happened."

"He's trying so hard," Hermione said.

"And you've been so patient," Saffron said as they went and got dressed.

"I've tried," Hermione said softly.

"You've done great," Saffron reassured her.

"With all of your help," Hermione said.

Julie and Saffron both hugged their mother. "We love you so much." Julie said to Hermione.

"My girls," Hermione said feeling tears well up in her eyes.

Saffron smiled at her mother. "Come on... why don't we go get something to eat?"

"I was going to meet your father at the lake," Hermione said. "Why don't we grab him and Ethan and have a nice family lunch?"

"Love that idea," Julie said. "We know how much Saffron loves to visit the lake, too." she teased.

Saffron groaned. "Jules, not you too!"

"Sorry, Saffy." Julie laughed. "Ethan made me promise to get you at least once."

Saffron folded her arms. "Unbelievable!"

Julie was still laughing as the three of them headed down towards the lake.

Harry and Ethan were standing by the lake chatting and Hermione came up behind her husband and tapped him on the shoulder. "Hello, you."

"Hermione," Harry brightened when he saw his wife.

Hermione smiled. "We were hoping to talk you two into joining us for lunch."

"You won't have to convince me," Harry said. "I'm starved."

Julie gave her father a hug. "Just like old times."

Saffron glared at her brother. "Ethan, if you make one more crack to anyone about me and the lake--"

Ethan grinned innocently at her.

His smile only infuriated her more. "Can you still swim in there, little man?"

"Well, probably not as good as you, Ariel," Ethan countered.

Saffron glared at him. "I hope you still can." she said, pushing him off the dock. Ethan fell back into the water, creating a loud splash. Saffron grinned and clapped her hands.

"Saffy!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Yes?" Saffron asked innocently.

"I can't believe you did that!" Ethan sputtered, pulling himself up out of the water.

"I warned you," Saffron told him.

"Are you all right?" Hermione asked her son.

"Fine," Ethan said glaring at Saffron. "No thanks to her. How old are you, Saffron Grace?"

"You're one to talk," Saffron said. "This whole trip you've had everyone bugging me about the lake. I hope you liked your dip in it, and it won't be your last if you keep it up."

"She has a point, Ethan," Harry said to his son.

Ethan shook his head. "You didn't have to shove me in the water."

"Okay, okay," Hermione said. "Ethan, why don't you go and dry off really quick and then we can have a nice, civil lunch."

"I'm all for that," Saffron said sweetly. "I do believe my point has been made."

"Loud and clear," Ethan grumbled, heading to the loo.

"Saffy don't you think that was a little over the top?" Julie asked her sister.

"No," Saffron answered. "This gets brought up to me multiple times a day and he even had Ellie calling me Ariel. It's over as of now."

"I don't think he'll say anything else," Hermione said putting an arm around Saffron.

"Good," Saffron smiled.

Harry smiled at her. "You would have made a great Auror, Saffy."

Saffron laughed. "Catch all the bad guys, right Dad?"

Harry nodded. "Every last one of them."

"Okay," Ethan rejoined them. "Saffy, if you ever do that again--"

"I won't as long as you shut up about the lake," Saffron interjected.

"No more," Hermione told her son. "And the same for you, Saffron."

"Let the record show," Julie said with a grin. "That I'm the only one of us acting like an adult."

"That's cause you're the oldest," Ethan said dismissively.

"In more ways than one," Julie teased.

"All right," Hermione took her husband's arm as he leaned on his cane. "Will you be okay to make it to the restaurant, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "I think so."

"Good," Hermione said. "You look a little peaked- we'll get you some coffee and some food."

Harry caught Ethan's eye. "That--that sounds good, Hermione."

"Good," Hermione said kissing his cheek.

"So how was the spa?" Harry asked. "I bet that masseuse isn't half as good as me."

"Not even close," Hermione said with a grin. "But it did feel nice."

"What did you do with your morning, Dad?" Julie asked.

"Ethan helped me work on some therapy," Harry covered.

"That's great," Hermione said turning to smile at her son.

"Yeah," Ethan said. "Dad did really well."

"I really took him by surprise," Harry said.

"Sure did," Ethan said. "No wonder Dad's hungry."

The Potters reached the restaurant and Steve gave them the best table overlooking the lake. Ethan sat down across from his younger sister and held up his hands. "I won't say a word, Saf."

"You learn quick," Saffron said, but she smiled at her brother.

Ethan shook his head. "I might have taken the lake thing a bit too far."

"Might have?" Saffron scoffed.

"Okay, I did," Ethan corrected. "I did take it too far."

"Long as we're done with it now," Hermione interrupted.

"We are," Ethan said. "At least, I am. RJ's another story."

"Oh he will stop," Saffron replied. "Or he'll meet the same fate you did."

"And what about Andrew?" Julie asked.

"He knows better," Saffron leaned back and folded her arms.

"Besides, it might not have been the lake for all we know," Julie pointed out. "Uncle Ron said it could have been any place here where our little Saffy was made."

Ethan threw his head back and laughed as Saffron glowered at Julie.

"Jules!" Saffron exclaimed.

"I think we've talked enough on this topic," Hermione said. "It's done."

"I second that," Harry said. "Let's talk about something else like my oldest granddaughter. Julie, when are she and Zander arriving?"

"Tomorrow," Julie said. "I can't wait to see her."

"The world traveler," Saffron said.

"And in Autumn, she's going to study at La Sorbonne," Julie said. "Nick and I are so proud of her."

"We all are," Hermione said.

"And she's so happy with Zander," Julie said. "They make a lovely couple."

"Your girls took after you," Saffron said. "Both fell in love with musicians."

Julie laughed. "I passed on some good genes then."

Hermione looked at Harry. "Know what you're going to order?"

"Probably a sandwich," Harry answered. "Extra chips."

Hermione smiled. "That sounds good. "

"I'm rather in the mood for a salad," Saffron looked at the menu.

"You should have been here years ago when Ethan was seven," Julie told her sister. "I can remember Maddie clammoring to sit beside him and he wanted no part of her!"

"It wasn't too bad until your birthday party," Ethan pointed out. "That's when she started going on about marrying me."

"She was adorable," Hermione said.

Harry nodded in agreement. "Only took him what, fifteen years to catch up?"

Ethan grinned. "It took me awhile."

"Andrew and I knew pretty quickly," Saffron said thoughtfully.

Ethan hummed a few bars of 'Under the Sea' which earned him a swift kick from Saffron under the table. "Sorry," Ethan muttered.

Harry looked over at his wife and she looked up from her menu. "Okay?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah. Just a bit tired."

"After this, we can go back to the cabin and have a kip," Hermione said.

'I'll be all right," Harry said. "Some coffee will help."

Hermione gave his hand a squeeze. "You've been working so hard, Harry."

More than she knew, he thought to himself. "Yes well..." he began aloud. "Got to get back to the way things were."

"We're just all happy that you're here with us," Hermione said.

"Definitely," Saffron said, remembering those horrible minutes when they thought Harry was gone forever.

"Me too," Harry said. "I--I can't imagine not being here with you all. My family."

Hermione squeezed his hand comfortingly.

Julie raised her water glass. "A toast, to Hillsdale and to Mum and Dad."

"To Mum and Dad!" Ethan chimed in, raising his glass.

Saffron smiled. "To Mum and Dad and getting back to the way they were."

Harry lifted his own glass and smiled. That's exactly what he wanted.

*** *** ***

Katie watched her mother use her wand to hang the "Welcome Home, Ashley" sign. Her sister was due to arrive any minute.

"Katie, does it look straight?" Julie asked.

"Mum, this is kind of lame," Katie commented. "This isn't our home so it's not really welcome 'home'."

"Katie, will you just help me?" Julie asked. "We haven't seen your sister much in the last year and I'm excited she's coming home."

Katie sighed. "Move it over a little to the left and it should be fine."

"Thank you," Julie replied. "Perfect."

Nick patted Katie's head as he came out of the bedroom. "Someone's just upset that we don't understand the pain and sorrow she's going through since her boyfriend's gone for the next couple of days."

Katie pouted. "It's not fair."

Nick put his arm around her. "Two days, Katherine Rose. I think you can make it."

"I guess," Katie sighed.

"He'll be back before you know it," Julie reassured her. "I was the same way when your father would leave. Probably not as dramatic, of course, but I missed him."

Katie nodded. "It'll be good to see Ash again."

"Yes, it will," Julie said. "And Zander, as well. Which reminds me, Nicholas, why was he here the other day? You never said..."

Katie giggled. "You didn't tell her, Dad?"

Julie looked at the two of them. "Tell me what? Is something wrong?"

Katie hummed a few bars of a wedding march and giggled again.

Julie raised an eyebrow and was going to ask something else when the door to the cabin opened and Ashley and Zander stepped inside. "Mum, Dad!" Ashley squealed.

"Ash!" Julie hurried to her oldest daughter. "Sweetheart!"

Ashley hugged her mother tightly. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, love." Julie said. "You seem so grown up, baby."

Nick grinned. "Quit hogging her, Jules. Let her old man have a look."

Ashley giggled. "Hi Dad. I missed you so much!"

Zander smiled as he set their bags down.

"Good to see you too, Zander." Katie said with a big grin. "It's... been awhile."

The smile on Zander's face faltered a bit. "Yeah---good to see you too, Katie."

"Zander, we hope you don't mind sleeping out here on the sofa," Julie said. "When we got this cabin we didn't know if Ash would be back in time or not to visit and we also didn't know you and Kevin would be around."

"It's fine, Mrs. Malfoy," Zander replied. "Thank you for letting me stay."

"We're glad to have you," Julie said. "Katie, take your sister's bag into the bedroom."

"Why can't Zander do it?" Katie complained.

"I'll do it," Ashley said. "Katie... I missed you."

Katie grinned and gave her big sister a hug. "I missed you too, Ashley Beth."

"You'll have to tell me all about Kevin later," Ashley said.

"I'll get your bag," Zander said to Ashley.

"Thanks," Ashley said, touching his arm as he went by.

She looked at the trouble her family had gone to and shook her head. "You guys did not have to do all this!"

"We wanted to," Julie hugged her again. "We're so happy to have you home!"

"I'm happy to be home!" Ashley exclaimed. "And to be here! It's so romantic!"

Nick and Julie grinned at one another. "Yes it is," Julie agreed.

"Just you wait," Katie commented, looking at her nails.

Zander came back and heard Katie's words. He cast a panicked look at her.

Katie waved at him. "Hiya, Zander."

"Hello, Katie." Zander gave her one last look and shook his head slightly.

"We have orange juice and pastries from the restaurant," Nick told them. "Help yourselves."

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I'm starving."

"Where did you finish up, Ash?" Katie asked. "What city?"

"Reykjavik," Ashley said. "In Iceland."

Katie's nose scrunched up in disgust. "Ewww, isn't it like really cold there?"

"It wasn't too bad," Ashley said, smiling at Zander.

Zander smiled back at her. He had traveled there last night and they'd spent the night together in Ashley's hotel.

"I see," Katie leaned back, her eyebrows raised.

"I'm anxious to see the work you did on your trip," Julie said. "I imagine that sketch book is full."

"This is my sixth one," Ashley admitted. "I drew on EVERYTHING."

Nick laughed. "Our overachiever."

Ashley laughed and pushed the sketchbook towards her parents.

Katie nudged Zander. "Dum...dum...da-dum..."

"Katie," he poked her arm.

Ashley was out of earshot, showing her parents the sketches. Katie grinned. "Why didn't you ask her in Reky-whatever?"

"Will you keep it down?" he hissed.

Katie waved her hand dismissively. "She can't hear!"

"Why would you want her to overhear anything?" Zander asked. "No one but your dad is supposed to know."

"I just like having a go at you," Katie said. "It's so much fun. Which is why I'm going to LOVE having you in the family."

"Great," Zander sat back and shook his head, but he smiled at her. "I always knew you really liked me."

Katie rolled her eyes. "You're okay."

"Don't have to hide it anymore." Zander said. "You'll be related to Brit in a weird way now."

"Does she know, by the way?" Katie asked.

"Are you kidding me?" Zander asked. "She would never be able to keep this a secret."

Katie grinned. "Some people are like that."

"You better not be one of them," he said. "Not for this."

"I wouldn't spoil it for Ash," Katie said right before Ashley rejoined them.

"Spoil what for me?" Ashley asked.

"Talking about... futures," Katie said slyly.

Ashley sat down beside Zander and reached for a pastry. "That's nice."

"Yeah," Zander put his arm around her. "Katie was just telling me about... Kevin."

"How is he?" Ashley asked.

"Amazing," Katie said in satisfaction. "You were a fool to dump him."

"I was a fool for thinking I could be with anyone else when I loved Zander," Ashley said resting her head on his shoulder.

Zander grinned at her as he kissed the side of her head. "We both wised up, Ash."

"Oh brother," Katie said. "You two are sick."

Ashley laughed. "She's right, Zander. We should behave in front of my impressionable young sister."

"Impressionable but not innocent," Katie said.

"I've missed you," Ashley said fondly.

"Of course you did," Katie grinned at her sister.

"How's Grandpa?" Ashley asked. "I can't wait to see him."

"He's doing good," Katie picked at a pastry. "He's using his cane instead of the chair."

Ashley grinned. "That's fantastic!"

"Oh wait until you see Ellie," Katie said. "She's gotten so big, and she's so funny."

Ashley grinned. "Still leading Edward around?"

"Yup," Katie nodded. "You know... Ellie just LOVES flowers, being a GIRL and all..." she cast Zander a wicked smile.

Ashley raised an eyebrow. "Katie---"

"You know, I'd love to go for a walk," Zander said hastily. "See the place..."

"Oh, okay," Ashley said as he pulled her to her feet.

Katie laughed as Zander nearly yanked her sister out of the cabin. "I'm going to have fun with him."

Ashley giggled as she linked her arm in Zander's. "I know Katie can be a bit much, but when Kevin's back she probably won't pay us a bit of attention."

"Good," he said, trying not to sound too relieved. "Then I'll have you all to myself."

"You do right now," Ashley said softly.

Zander slid his arms around her. "Finally... you're home and we have the next few months together."

Ashley smiled. "I know. I'm so happy."

"Me too," Zander said. "We'll have to figure out what we're going to do in the autumn when you leave for La Sorbonne."

"Any ideas?" Ashley asked.

He smiled. "I'm sure we'll figure something out. My apprenticeship will be coming to an end soon and then I'll have to find a job."

"In Paris?" Ashley asked hopefully.

"That's what I'm aiming for," he told her.

"That's about as pretty near to perfect as you can get," Ashley said squeezing his hand.

Zander pulled her to him and kissed her.

Ashley looped her arms around his neck and kissed him back. "So happy to be here with you like this," Ashley said dreamily.

Zander smiled and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. He saw the path leading to the ballroom. "There's something I wanted to show you."

"Okay," Ashley said. "But I thought this was your first time here..."

He did not tell her that on his short visit here he had toured the grounds hoping to find the perfect place to ask her. But, as far as she knew, this was his first time here, too. "Just come with me," he said tugging on her hand.

Ashley smiled at him as she followed him. "Sure."

He led her into the empty ballroom and toward the stage.

"What are we doing in here?" she asked.

"I wanted to play something for you," Zander said with a grin.

"You do?" Ashley asked. "Something you learned at the Philharmonic?"

Zander shook his head. "Something I've been working on just for me."

"Oh," Ashley said with a grin. "I love everything you write."

Zander sat down at the piano. "It's a work in progress..."

Ashley leaned on the piano and closed her eyes as her boyfriend began to play.

And though she was biased, the melody was the prettiest she had ever heard.

Zander looked up at her as he played. She looked so serene as he continued the song. He was bolstered by her reaction to it.

"Zander, that's beautiful," she said softly when he finished.

"Not half as much as you," he said, moving so she could sit next to him.

"You only say that because you love me," she teased.

He laughed. "You know me well. I do love you."

He was quiet then and Ashley looked over at him. "Is something wrong?"

"No," he said. "No. But I um... I did want to ask you something."

"What's that?" Ashley asked, tapping her finger on the keys.

"I know we're young," he said. "But... we've known each other forever."

"Since we were eleven," Ashley said. She watched as Zander stood up. He looked about as nervous as she could ever remember seeing him.

"Right," he said, pacing across the stage. "You're the best friend I ever had.'

"Well, spending the entire night in the forest bonds you with someone," Ashley said with a grin.

Zander stopped pacing and sat back down. "That was the best night of my life until we got together you know."

"Mine too," Ashley said.

Zander leaned in and gave her a kiss. "Ash.."

"Zander," Ashley said.

"Will you marry me?" he asked her.

Ashley blinked. "W-what did you say?"

"Marry me," Zander said, his tone nervous.

The ring, Ashley thought. The ring she and Brittany had found was Zander's.

"Ash?" he asked uncertainly. "I know that we haven't really been together like this really long, but I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Ashley watched wordlessly as Zander stood up and then got down on one knee.

"Ash?" he asked hopefully. "What do you say?" he held the ring out to her.

"Zander," Ashley whispered. "You want to marry me..."

"More than you know," Zander said, his hand shaking.

"Zander, I--," Ashley started to say.