Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter continues with the wedding AND you get some Harry/Hermione towards the end. It's always fun to write the couple while we're all still here, right? Please read and please review!

Darla handed him the paper and watched him unfold it. "Well?"

"A boy," Liam replied. He looked at her. "We're having a boy!"

"A brother for Rafe," Darla said, a huge grin spreading across her face.

Liam put his arms around her and hugged her tightly. "Darla, I---I'm so happy."

"Me too," she said softly. "But let's keep this to ourselves today. It's RJ and Audrey's day."

Liam gave her a kiss. "Of course."

"You're already such a great father to Rafe," Darla said. "You're going to be amazing this time around too."

Liam rested his forehead against hers. "You're my family. You and Rafe," Liam said patting her stomach. "And this little guy in here."

"We'll have to tell your mum," Darla said. "I think she'll be excited."

Liam laughed. "They'll hear her shouting in Australia."

"Come on," Darla said after giving him a kiss. "I don't want to raise any questions."

"Right,' Liam said, not able to keep the grin off his face as he followed his wife back to the reception.

"I didn't realise I was so hungry until now," Audrey was saying.

Saffron laughed. "Uh-oh. You're now officially a Weasley when you get the ravenous appetite."

Audrey laughed. "As if the marriage wasn't enough..."

Andrew looked at his wife. "Well, I didn't become bossy when I married you, did I?"

"I was bossy enough for both of us." Saffron said.

"Truer words were never spoken," RJ said.

"I'll let you get away with that today," Saffron said.

"Thank you," RJ said before taking a bite of his food.

"When do we start dancing?" Saffron asked.

"After we eat," RJ told her. "And you have to wait for Aud and me to finish eating before you get out there, Twinkletoes."

"Save me one," Saffron told him with a grin.

"How's your mum holding up?" Audrey asked scanning the crowd for his parents.

"She's fine," RJ told her.

Audrey smiled and held out her fork to her husband. RJ grinned back and took a bite.

"No smushing cake later, she told him.

"No wasting of food," RJ said. "Or ruining my wife's pretty face."

Audrey couldn't stop beaming. "You're saying the perfect things today.'

"I gave him lessons," Andrew joked.

Saffron laughed. "Andrew's been perfect since day one."

"I taught him everything he knows," RJ scoffed.

"Oh please," Saffron shook her head.

"You're both great," Audrey said. "Though, I am biased toward my bloke..."

"Mental," Saffron teased. "Completely mental."

They finished eating and before long, RJ and Audrey took the floor for their first dance.

RJ held her close. "I love you," he said into her ear. "I can't believe we're finally married."

Audrey smiled. "Me too."

"I always said I didn't want to settle down," RJ said. "But I didn't count on meeting you."

"And I didn't think I'd actually marry a wizard," Audrey said with a grin.

RJ laughed. "Who knew how perfect we are for one another?"

Audrey gave him a kiss and then rested her head on his shoulder.

Ashley watched RJ and Audrey dance. "They're so happy," she sighed.

Zander reached over and gave her hand a squeeze.

"So glad I was able to come back for the wedding," Ashley leaned against him.

"Me too," Zander said smiling at her. It had been three weeks since he had last seen her. Although he knew she was learning so much on her trip, he would be glad when she was back in London full-time.

"You going to dance with me?" Ashley looked up at him.

"An excuse to put my arms around you?" Zander asked thoughtfully. "Let me see..."

Ashley laughed. "You don't need an excuse."

Zander stood up and offered her his hand. "Miss Malfoy..."

Ashley took his hand and they headed for the dance floor. "This is perfect," she said as he slid his arms around her.

"Perfect," Zander agreed holding her close.

"I've really missed you," Ashley said.

"Me too," Zander said softly. "And I have you all to myself tonight."

Ashley grinned widely. "I can't wait."

Zander had recently moved into a flat with Evan and another bloke from school. Ashley would get to see the new place for the first time tonight.

"And then in two weeks you're meeting me in Athens right?" Ashley asked.

Zander nodded. "Yes."

"Perfect," Ashley said softly, giving him a kiss.

"And in July, you'll be home," Zander said.

"I never thought I'd be happy to end this trip," she said. "But I just want to be home with you."

Zander smiled. "Ashley, it took us so long to get here. We waited this long. I think I can wait a few more weeks."

"We definitely can," Ashley slid her arms around him a little tighter.

At the table, Nick and Julie watched their daughter and shared a smile. They had not seen Ashley this happy. They wished they could say the same for their younger daughter, but Katie kept shooting looks at Caroline across the room.

"So we have another little war on our hands," Allison sat down next to Julie. "Caroline filled me in on what happened with the two of them..."

"Katie did too," Julie admitted. "I hate seeing them fight like this after how close they were this last summer."

"Me too," Allison agreed. "But Jon and I resolved to let them work out their differences on their own."

"Right," Julie said. "They'll work it out. They always do."

Allison grinned. "Were we ever this dramatic?"

Julie laughed. "Well, let's see. I married my father's worst enemy's son and you eloped at sixteen..."

"I guess we were," Allison said wryly.

Katie walked by Caroline's table and Olivia slid off of Emma's lap and made a beeline for her. "Katie!" Olivia squealed.

"Hi Livvie," Katie smiled at the little girl.

Olivia held up her hands. "Up!"

Katie lifted her up. "You look pretty today Livvie."

"Thank you," Olivia said beaming at her. "So do you!"

Katie grinned. "Why aren't you out dancing?"

"Em's eating," Olivia said.

"You should go dance with Adam," Katie said.

"I'm not dancing with her!" Adam exclaimed, looking up from his plate.

"She's your sister," Katie scolded him.

"I'll dance with Daddy," Olivia announced.

"I'll be happy to dance with my Livvie," Jon said. "Come on, baby."

Katie set the little girl down and Jon swung her around before leading her to the dance floor. Katie smiled but that smile fell when she saw Caroline. "What are you looking at?" she snapped.

Caroline raised an eyebrow. "Nothing."

Katie tossed her hair and walked away.

Caroline rolled her eyes. She refused to give in to Katie's bullying and it had really deteriorated their friendship.

"She's still mad, huh?" Emma asked.

"Too bad for her," Caroline shrugged.

Emma smiled sweetly at her. "Can I have the rest of your chicken?"

Caroline grinned. "You have such a one track mind, Em."

"So is that a yes?" Emma asked.

Caroline pushed her plate over to her sister. "Have at it."

Emma grinned. "Best. Sister. Ever."

Caroline laughed. "Is that all it takes?"

"Pretty much," Emma replied before taking a bite. Allison came back over and sat down.

Caroline smiled at her mother. "What's up?"

"Just saying hello to Julie and Nick," Allison replied.

"I'm glad to be home for the wedding, but I can't wait to be back at school," Caroline said.

"To see Bradley," Emma sing-songed.

Caroline blushed deeply.

"Em," Allison chastised.

"It's true," Emma said. "He is cute."

"He stayed behind at school," Caroline said softly.

"I'm sure you would have liked him to come to the wedding, but it's more of a family thing," Allison reassured her daughter. "Your father and I look forward to properly meeting him during summer hols."

Caroline blushed. "I'll like that, too."

Allison put an arm around her oldest daughter. "I can't believe you're dating."

"We're not really dating," Caroline said. "We're just---you know..."

"It's okay," Allison told her daughter.

Caroline smiled. "Thanks, Mum."

"We just want you to be happy," Allison told her.

Caroline nodded. She was happy, but she hated the tension between she and Katie. But, she was through being a doormat.

"Well," Emma stood up. "I'm finished eating for now. Time to boogie."

Allison laughed. "Emma Madeline---you are too much."

"Don't I know it," Emma said. "Come on Caroline!"

Caroline giggled. "Okay, Em. Let's do it."

Ashley saw her sister giving Caroline a dirty look as the younger girl led Emma onto the dance floor. "What's this all about?" she sat down next to Katie.

"Nothing," Katie grumbled.

"Then why are you giving yourself early wrinkles by frowning?" Ashley teased.

Katie had to smile at that. "Funny, Ash."

"Come on," Ashley coaxed. "Tell me what's going on? Give me the dirty gossip..."

"You hate gossip," Katie pointed out.

"Well I'd just like to know what's going on with my sister," Ashley said.

Katie bit her bottom lip. "Well, just promise me you won't be angry."

Ashley looked confused. "What?"

"Just promise me," Katie said.

"I can't promise when I don't know what you're talking about," Ashley told her.

Katie sighed. "Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you."

Ashley sat back, still confused. "What on earth is going on?"

"Well, things with Bradley have not been that great recently," Katie began.

This was news to Ashley.

"It started right after Grandpa was hurt," Katie explained.

"What did?" Ashley was starting to get exasperated.

"Another boy came into the picture," Katie continued. "He started writing to me. Just to check on me at first, but it kept on."

"And... who might that be?" Ashley asked impatiently.

"Kevin," Katie replied in a small voice.

Ashley stared at her sister wordlessly.

"You see?" Katie asked. "That's why I asked you to promise me you wouldn't be mad!"

"I don't get it," Ashley said. "Why is he writing to you?"

"Well, at first it was to see how I was doing after what happened with Grandpa," Katie replied. "But then he started asking me about school and telling me about all the places he was going."

"And now he's interested in you?" Ashley asked.

Katie raised an eyebrow. "Why do you sound so surprised? I mean, I know there's the age difference, but ..."

"It's not that big of an age difference but... he's my ex." Ashley said. "It's weird."

"You're with Zander!" Katie pointed out.

"That isn't the point!" Ashley said.

"I fancied him long before you ever did," Katie argued.

Ashley rolled her eyes. "It was like a hero worship, Katie."

"No, it wasn't," Katie retorted.

"Sure," Ashley replied sardonically.

"Anyway," Katie sighed. "He kept writing to me and I didn't tell anyone about it other than Lindsey, Tegan and Caroline. Telling Caroline was a big mistake because she used it to get her claws into Bradley."

"Caroline and Bradley are together now because you were sort of cheating on him," Ashley nodded. "I get it."

"I wasn't cheating," Katie said defensively.

Ashley levelled a gaze at her sister.

"Not really," Katie said. "Kevin and I haven't even kissed yet."

"Oh Merlin," Ashley said. "This is too weird."

"You don't still have feelings for him, do you?" Katie asked.

"No," Ashley replied. "But still... it wasn't even a year ago that we broke up. And he was always calling you a nice KID. And now he's romantically interested in you?"

"Well, he hasn't really said in so many words," Katie admitted. "Merlin, Daddy's going to flip isn't he? I mean it's just a two-year age difference, but he's going to flip."

"I don't know," Ashley said honestly.

"This is a mess," Katie said. "Which was why I was trying to keep things open with Bradley but then Caroline swooped in..."

"I highly doubt she swooped in," Ashley pointed out. "You got caught, sounds more like."

Katie looked down.

"You can't blame Caroline for that," Ashley said.

"You're taking her side?" Katie asked.

"I'm not taking any side," Ashley said. "This doesn't really concern me. But if I were you--"

"What would you do?" Katie asked.

"I wouldn't let this drive a wedge in my friendship," Ashley said. "You know as well as I do that Caroline would never have stolen your boyfriend."

Katie looked over to the dance floor where Caroline was dancing with Emma and Olivia.

"Just think about it," Ashley advised before getting up and heading over to Zander.

Katie begrudgingly had to admit Ashley was right. Caroline was not the boyfriend stealing type. Katie knew that she had done the same thing last summer when she had steered Bradley away from Caroline.

It still didn't mean she wanted to talk to Caroline though. She certainly didn't want to admit she had been in the wrong.

Katie Malfoy did not like being humiliated.

She sat down again instead and watched her sister being led onto the dance floor by Zander. She had to admit the two of them looked ecstatically happy, even if she personally thought Zander was beyond boring.

But, he was who Ashley wanted and if that made her happy, Katie was happy for her.

Caroline fanned herself as she led her sisters back to their seats. "That was fun!"

Olivia giggled. "I love dancing!"

"You're the best dancer out there, Livvie," Emma told her.

RJ came up behind his youngest niece and scooped her up. "Livvie, where have you been all day?"

Olivia laughed. "I was dancing!"

"Not with me, you weren't," RJ replied pecking her on the cheek.

"Let's go!" Olivia squealed.

"You, me and Aud are going to boogie," RJ said before carrying her away.

"I'm hungry," Emma said to Caroline.

Caroline shook her head. "Emma Madeline, when are you not hungry?"

"When I'm sleeping," Emma said matter of factly.

Caroline laughed. "We can see if there's more food."

"It's a Weasley wedding," Emma said. "There is more than enough food."

"We'd better go and find it before Uncle Fred and Uncle George beat us to it," Caroline joked.

While the two Weasley girls went off in search of food, Dimitri was taking in his first official party with Alexa's friends. He did not know very many people here.

He'd sat with Andrew and Saffron for awhile but they'd gone to the dance floor. Alexa had disappeared awhile ago and he caught her now across the room talking to some people around their age.

He saw RJ walk over with a little girl whose face lit up when she saw Alexa. Alexa lifted the girl into her arms and gave her a hug.

He couldn't help but feel a bit left out, even if everyone had been quite kind and welcoming to him. They all seemed to know one another- and most of them were even all related somehow.

"My feet are killing me," a familiar voice said and Dimitri turned to see Saffron sitting down.

He smiled. "You've done your fair share of dancing."

"Maybe a bit too much," Saffron said. "How about you?"

"I'm just watching everything," he said.

"It can be a bit much, can't it?" Saffron asked with a grin.

He nodded. "Are you really all related?"

Saffron laughed. "Well, to give you the abridged version. My father is best friends with Ron Weasley, RJ's father. They've been friends for ages and he spent a lot of time here growing up to the point where he's like a surrogate son. And then my sister married Ron's nephew. My brother married RJ's sister. Merlin, it is hard to keep up..."

"My head is spinning and it's not from the wine," he joked.

"I'll make you a diagram," Saffron said.

"A cheat sheet," Dimitri laughed. "Thanks."

"How are things with Lexie's parents?" Saffron asked.

"Better," he said. "They finally stopped calling me 'The Russian'. And my parents are coming here in a few weekends."

Saffron smiled. "That's great."

"We have been talking more about finding our own place," Dimitri said. "Here..."

Saffron's smile widened. "Really?"

He laughed again. "Yes."

"I'd love having her around more," Saffron said thoughtfully. "But more importantly, I want her to be happy."

"We'd still have to travel quite a bit but we could be here more often too," he said. "I like London."

Saffron nodded. "This could be your home base."

"That's the plan," he said as Alexa broke away from the group and came over to them.

"That little Olivia is going to be a heartbreaker when she grows up," Alexa said sitting down on Dimitri's lap.

"She is," Saffron agreed. "So when are you going to start looking for a house here?"

Alexa looked at her husband. "You told her, eh?"

"I can't believe YOU didn't tell me!" Saffron exclaimed.

"We just talked about it today," Alexa said.

"I'll help you," Saffron said instantly.

"Saffron loves projects," Alexa told Dimitri.

"My specialty," Saffron said. "Especially if it involves you staying here."

"It's still early days, but we really like it here," Alexa said leaning against Dimitri.

"Of course you like it here," Saffron said to her. "You grew up here."

"But I want Dimitri to love it here too," Alexa said.

"I do," he said to her.

Alexa grinned and gave him a kiss. "Dance with me?"

"Of course," he answered as she stood up.

Alexa took his hand and led him to the dance floor.

Saffron sat back and watched her best friend's face light up as Dimitri leaned in and whispered something to her.

A few feet away, RJ and Audrey were dancing cheek to cheek. Saffron smiled. After all the drama of the past few years, they were all in a good place.

Across the floor Harry and Hermione were sitting together. "You know I wish I could be out there with you," Harry said glumly.

Hermione squeezed his hand. "We'll dance again, Harry."

"I hope so," he replied without smiling.

"You will," Hermione said.

He nodded absently as he watched his friends laugh and move around the dance floor.

"Do you want me to get you anything?" Hermione asked. "More food? Champagne?"

Harry shook his head. "I'm all right."

Hermione wished she could do something to brighten her husband's mood. She smiled as an idea came to her. She pushed Harry's chair toward the dance floor.

"What are you doing?" Harry asked, startled.

"Dancing with my husband," Hermione replied.

Harry gave her a look. "This is hardly dancing."

"Go with me on this," Hermione said.

Harry still looked doubtful but he sat back.

Hermione stood behind him and put her hands on his shoulders. "Just close your eyes.."

Harry did as his wife said, although he felt a bit self conscious doing so.

"Remember that first time we ever danced together?" Hermione whispered.

"Of course I do," he answered.

"Picture yourself in that studio," Hermione said softly.

Harry smiled. "I remember."

"You're standing at that mirror, waiting for me to come in," Hermione said smiling. "And I'm late because I couldn't get away in time."

"About time you got here," Harry joked. "I don't have time to wait around all day."

Hermione laughed. "I seem to remember you barking that at me."

Harry smiled at her. "I miss those days."

Hermione sat down on his lap and he put his arms around her.

"This isn't so bad either," she said softly.

Harry gave her a kiss.

"As much as I hate to admit it, you did good by them," Saffron said to her brother as they looked over at their parents.

"Are you saying I was right, Brat?" Ethan asked.

"No," Saffron replied quickly.

"I think you are," Ethan said grinning at her.

"I'm not saying that at all," Saffron nudged his shoulder.

"Thanks to me they are back together," Ethan said smugly. "Me."

"We helped, little man," Saffron said indignantly. "Julie and I got Mum there."

"It kills you to admit it, doesn't it?" Ethan said gleefully. "I orchestrated this and you and Jules hate that I'm the one getting all the credit.."

Saffron glared at him.

"Say it now," Ethan said grinning at her. "Ethan, you were right."

Saffron punched him as hard as she could in the arm.

"Ouch!" Ethan yelped.

"That's right," Saffron replied. "And there's more where that came from."

Ethan rubbed his arm. "That bloody hurt, Saffron Grace!"

"Good," Saffron said, before turning her back on her brother.

Julie joined them. "Look at Mum and Dad!"

"We were just talking about what a great job ETHAN did of getting them back together." Saffron said sarcastically.

Julie rolled her eyes. "Ethan..."

"So jealous," Ethan said, flinching when Saffron clenched her fist again.

"Let's just focus on that," Julie said motioning to their parents.

Saffron had to smile as she watched Hermione let Harry twirl her around his chair.

"That's worth it all right there," Julie said.

"Yeah," Saffron said softly. "It really is."

"What if we sent them back to that Hillsdale place?" Julie asked. "The place where they first met and fell in love?"

"Might be fun to go there this summer instead of Brighton," Saffron offered.

Ethan nodded. "Way to steal my thunder, Jules."

"Whatever, Ethan." Julie said.

"I'll sort it out with that Steve bloke that runs the place," Saffron said.

"The place where you were conceived," Julie teased her sister.

"Well, then it should be a national landmark," Ethan said sarcastically.

"Yes it should," Saffron stood up straighter. "Didn't Jules have to teach you to swim there?"

"I was seven," Ethan said defensively.

"I knew how to swim when I was four," Saffron boasted.

Ethan mimicked her and Saffron stomped on his foot.

"OW!" Ethan exclaimed.

Hermione and Harry joined them and Harry chuckled. "You okay, son?"

"Just beating him up," Saffron said sweetly. "You two look great out there."

"Thanks," Hermione said beaming at her children.

"So we were thinking that perhaps instead of going to Brighton this summer, we'd go to Hillsdale," Julie told her parents.

Hermione looked at her in surprise. "Hillsdale?"

"Sure," Ethan nodded. "Take the families there... we all think it would be fun."

"What do you think Harry?" Hermione asked.

"If it's what you want," Harry replied.

"Come on," Saffron urged.

"I'll make all the arrangements," Julie said. "Neither of you will have to do a thing."

Harry looked at Hermione. "It might be good to get away to where it all began."

Hermione nodded. She had thought of Hillsdale often over the years.

Harry reached for her hand. "I'm in if you are."

"I'm sure I can manage a few weeks there," Hermione agreed.

"It's all set then," Julie said happily.

"I'll tell Mads," Ethan said. "I bet Kiera and Gwyn will love it, and perhaps Ron and Luna can watch the others for us."

Hermione chanced a look at her husband. Perhaps Hillsdale would be just what they needed.