Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

*** *** ***

Ashley was two weeks into her trip, and they had just left Cairo and had headed into Rome. She and Brittany were keeping in touch and found out they would be in the city at the same time and were looking forward to seeing one another. Ashley had actually just checked into her hotel and hurried to meet her best friend at the Trevi Fountain.

"Brit!" she squealed upon seeing the brunette.

Brittany turned and her face broke into a wide smile when she saw her best friend. "Ash!"

Ashley hugged her tightly. "I've missed you so much!"

"I missed you too!" Brittany exclaimed. "Look at you!"

"How about you?" Ashley said. "You look like a rock and roller!"

"Well, I've only been doing this for about a week," Brittany said beaming at her. "But, I love it so far! In fact, the boys are appearing on an Italian television show tomorrow afternoon and I get to choose their outfits!"

"I bet they'll look fantastic," Ashley said loyally. "I love your purple streaks."

Brittany grinned. "Thanks! I sent a photo home and Zander said--"

"I don't want to hear about Zander," Ashley shook her head. "Not even his name."

Brittany rolled her eyes. "Ash---"

"I don't," Ashley interrupted.

"You two are driving me crazy," Brittany said, grabbing her friend by the arm. "He says the same thing about you."

"I don't care," Ashley said resolutely.

Brittany sat down on a bench and motioned for Ashley to do the same. Ashley reluctantly did so. "So," Brittany said. "I guess you wouldn't care that he accepted an internship for the London Philharmonic..."

Ashley bit her lower lip. She did care. She was happy that Zander was pursuing his dream of being a composer.

"He had to play an original composition to get in," Brittany said. "Do you know what got him in?"

"My song," Ashley said softly.

Brittany nodded. "The one and only."

"Look," Ashley shook her head. "I don't want to spoil our visit talking about Zander."

"He loves you, Ashley," Brittany argued.

"Then he wouldn't have slammed the door in my face," Ashley snapped.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "The reason he did that was because---"

"Stop," Ashley told her. "Don't matchmake."

Brittany held up her hands. "Fine."

"Thank you," Ashley said. "What do you want to do tonight?"

"Admire the scenery," Brittany said as two Italian blokes walked by.

Ashley laughed. "Same old Brit. What happened with Evan?"

"We are still together," Brittany said. "But, I can still browse."

"You're terrible," Ashley giggled.

Brittany grinned. "Well, tell me about how Egypt was."

"Oh it was gorgeous," Ashley said. "I can't believe the pyramids!"

"And how are the people you're travelling with?" Brittany asked.

"They're really cool," Ashley said. "I've made friends with a few of the girls, but none of them are like you."

Brittany giggled. "As if anyone could ever compare. I am one of a kind."

"Thankfully," Ashley laughed, tucking her arm into Brittany's.

Ashley told her best friend about some of the sights she had seen in Egypt as they walked. "The Sphinx is amazing," Ashley said. "I drew it from every angle possible."

Brittany looked at her friend. She could tell Ashley was enjoying her trip, but she could also tell that her friend was still hurting. Zander was the same way. She wanted to tell them how stubborn and stupid they were both being.

"Do you want to get some gelato?" Ashley asked, breaking Brittany out of her reverie.

"Sure," Brittany nodded. "That sounds delicious."

"My treat," Ashley said leading the way. They joined the queue. Brittany felt someone tap her on the shoulder. "Kevin! Blake! What are you guys doing here?" Brittany asked.

"We were headed to that bar across the street," Blake nodded his head. "Hey, Ash!"

Ashley smiled at Kevin's drummer. "Hi, Blake. Good to see you."

Kevin didn't smile as he looked at his ex girlfriend. "Hello, Ashley."

"Kevin," Ashley said, unable to meet his gaze.

"Awkward," Brittany muttered.

"Hey, Brit," Blake said taking her arm. "I wanted to ask you about the event tomorrow."

"Oh I was going to tell you my idea for you guys with your hair," Brittany said.

Ashley knew what they were trying to do, but she really wished they would stop. The last thing she wanted was to be alone with Kevin. She had hurt him deeply and she still felt guilty about that.

Kevin was having the same thoughts as he glared at Blake and Brittany. "Nice..." he muttered.

"That wasn't very subtle," Ashley finally said after Blake and Brittany had walked away.

"Not especially," Kevin looked up at her. "How... how's your trip?"

"Nice," Ashley said quietly. "And--and your tour?"

"It's good," Kevin said. "Brit's been great as our stylist so far."

Ashley smiled. "She's so happy."

He nodded. "Wish I could say the same." Ashley looked down unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry," Kevin apologised. "I shouldn't put you on the spot."

"I deserve it," Ashley said.

"No you don't," he told her.

Ashley looked up at him. "You're just being nice."

"I still care about you," he replied.

"I still care about you too," Ashley said. "I really meant it when I said I wanted to be friends."

"Are you sure you want to just be friends?" he blurted out.

Ashley watched as Kevin took her hand. "Kev..."

"I'll do anything you want," he told her. "I mean it." Ashley gave his hand a squeeze. "We could try again," Kevin said hopefully.

Ashley closed her eyes. She could so easily say yes, but that would not be fair to Kevin.

"Come on," he coaxed. "Give me one more chance."

"Kevin," Ashley said pulling her hand away.

"Where's Zander?" he asked her. "If you two are supposed to be together then why isn't he here?"

Ashley looked away.

"I love you," he said intently. Tears welled in her eyes. "I miss you," Kevin said. "And I can't stop thinking about you."

"I can't," Ashley said. He sighed and let go of her hand. "You deserve so much better than me," Ashley said to him.

"Can't I be the judge of that?" he asked.

Ashley shook her head. "It would be so easy to fall back into this."

"I do love you Kevin, "Ashley said.

"Then-" he began.

"But not in the way you want me to," Ashley interjected.

Kevin looked defeated. "I can't force you to have feelings for me..."

"You wouldn't be forcing me," Ashley said softly. "Kevin, you're so easy to love. But, it would not be fair to you to be with you when I have these feelings for Zander."

"You wouldn't be forcing me," Ashley said softly. "Kevin, you're so easy to love. But, it would not be fair to you to be with you when I have these feelings for Zander."

"I guess," he admitted reluctantly.

"I'm sorry," Ashley said genuinely.

"Like I said," Kevin replied. "I can't force you to have feelings for me."

Ashley was at a loss for what to say. Everything she was saying only seemed to hurt him more which was the last thing she wanted to do.

"I shouldn't be making you feel so bad," Kevin continued.

Ashley looked at him in disbelief. "I should be saying that."

"It'snot going to be easy for me to just be friends with you right now, but I'll try," he told her.

"I'd like that," Ashley said. "I really would."

"Of course, it helps that we probably won't see much of each other," Kevin attempted to joke.

Ashley smiled. "Kev..."

"I'll try," he smiled back at her.

"Me too," Ashley said. "In fact, I'd love to see you guys play."

"I'll get you tickets," he replied.

"Thanks," Ashley said.

Brittany and Blake came back over. "Did we miss anything?" she asked brightly.

"Just Ash shooting me down again," Kevin replied.

"You should hear the stuff he's written since you broke up with him," Blake said. "Bloody depressing-- ouch!"

Kevin had elbowed his friend and band mate hard in the ribs. "Shut it."

"Tactful," Brittany rolled her eyes.

"I'll leave tickets for you at the door," Kevin promised Ashley.

"Thanks," Ashley said. "I'll bring a few friends from my trip."

Kevin stepped forward and pecked her on the cheek. "I'll see you tonight."

"Great," Ashley smiled. "Brit, how about our gelato?"

Ashley watched Kevin go. She had nearly taken him up on his offer. But, those feelings for Zander were still there. No matter how far away she was, she still thought about him all the time. Hopefully, as time went on, she would get over him and put this behind her. But, she did not know if or when that would ever happen.

*** *** ***

In the sitting room of the Weasley house, Caroline and Katie giggled at the sight of Emma pacing in front of the fireplace. The three girls along with Jon, Allison, Adam and Emma were going to Diagon Alley to buy school supplies. Emma had gone loads of times before, but this would be the first time she'd be getting supplies for herself.

"MUMMY! DADDY!" Emma yelled running to the foot of the stairs. "LET'S GO!"

"You're too loud," Adam complained.

Emma glared at him. "We should just leave you at home!"

"Nope," Adam said smugly. "I'm too little."

Caroline came up behind her brother and tickled his side. "He's going to go and look at the Quidditch stuff with Daddy while we get our things. Right, Adam?"

"Right," Adam said. "Going to get a broom."

Jon came downstairs with Allison and Olivia. Emma looked at her mother. "Mummy, can we trade Adam in for another dog?"

"NO!" Adam shouted.

"Emma Madeline," Allison warned. "Be nice to your brother."

"Yeah," Adam said. "Or Snape will lock you in the dungeon at night."

"You don't even know Snape," Emma pointed out.

"I heard about him," Adam replied.

"Okay, okay," Allison said getting in between them. "Let's go and remember we're going to behave."

Emma checked to make sure her parents weren't watching before sticking her tongue out at Adam.

"Dad--" Adam started to say.

"No more," Jon warned his son.

Adam folded his arms and stalked toward the fireplace. Katie and Caroline shared a look and broke into giggles.

"Come ON," Emma begged. "There's a cauldron with my name on it!"

Allison grinned and reached for her hand. "That's right, baby girl. Are you excited?"

"SO excited," Emma said happily.

Allison gave her hand a squeeze. "Let's go then. Katie, you and Caroline go first. Then, Emma, Livvie and I will follow. Jon and Adam will go last."

"Okay," Caroline grabbed for the Floo Powder.

"I wish they'd make this stuff so it wouldn't get soot all over you," Katie said stepping into the fireplace with her friend.

"Me too," Caroline wrinkled her nose at the smell.

"Diagon Alley!" Caroline exclaimed as she dropped the Floo Powder.

She and Katie were coughing as they headed out into the shop.

Katie dusted herself off and then helped Caroline. The rest of Caroline's family appeared.

Allison looked at the two older girls. "Do you want to go and get your books while we get Emma's wand?" she asked them.

Emma looked over at Adam with a devilish grin. "My wand..."

Adam rolled his eyes. "You can't use it on me, Em!"

"Want to bet?" she asked.

Caroline giggled. "Em, Adam's right. You'll be expelled if you use magic outside of school."

"See?" Adam asked. Emma just gave him her most mischievous look before taking her mother's hand again.

Katie linked her arm with Caroline's and led the way to the book shoppe. "Em's so cute," Katie said. "Poor Adam."

"He doesn't know what he's in for," Caroline replied.

Katie reached into her bag for her book list. She hated shopping for books and hoped they would finish up soon to check out the latest fashions in Lavender's boutique.

"I have a lot to get," Caroline said. "I may be a little while. Did you want to go ahead somewhere without me?"

"You and your books," Katie teased. "I'll just find mine and meet you over at the magazines, okay?"

"Okay," Caroline agreed.

Katie grabbed her list from her bag and headed upstairs. She started browsing, half heartedly picking out her books when she heard a familiar voice.

"Hello, Katie," Ruby Salinger, a fellow Slytherin said. "How were your hols?"

"Hi Ruby," Katie said. "Mine have been great."

Ruby motioned for two other girls from their year to join them. "Mine, too. Merlin, I can't believe we have to go back to school."

"I know," Katie rolled her eyes. "A perfectly good waste of time, for me."

"Well, you'll be too busy ruling Slytherin," Ruby said grinning at her.

"You bet I will," Katie agreed.

Caroline came around the corner. "Hey, Katie...I found that book that---oh..." Her voice trailed off as she saw her friend surrounded by her minions.

"Hey Caroline," Katie replied. "This is Ruby- she's with me in Slytherin. Ruby this is Caroline."

"I knew I smelled a Weasley," Ruby said disdainfully. Caroline's smile faltered.

"Nice dress," Ruby's friend snickered at Caroline's sundress. "Did you buy that at a second-hand shoppe or did one of your hundred siblings hand it down to you?"

"I helped her pick that out just yesterday," Katie cut in. "I happen to think it's cute."

It was hard to tell who was more surprised at Katie's comments---Caroline or the other Slytherin girls.

"Well..." Ruby's friend recovered. "I don't like it."

"Go away, Weasley," Ruby said turning her back on Caroline. "So, Katie, I was thinking---"

Katie glared at her. "I didn't say you could talk to my friends like that."

Ruby looked at her in disbelief. "You're serious?"

Katie raised an eyebrow. Ruby shook her head.

"Apologize," Katie told her. "Or you'll be exiled next year, Ruby. You'll be so far down the table even Filch's cat wouldn't want to eat with you."

"I will not," Ruby said indignantly.

"It's okay, Katie," Caroline said. "I don't need her apology."

"I wasn't going to give one," Ruby said haughtily. "A REAL Slytherin wouldn't be caught dead with a Weasley."

Katie laughed and looked at the other two girls. "Tessa? Paulina? Do you feel the same was as Ruby?"

"I uh..." Tessa looked a bit lost for words. "Um..."

Paulina stepped forward and extended her hand to Caroline. "I'm Paulina, by the way. That dress is really pretty. Brings out the colour in your eyes."

"Thanks," Caroline said, her tone surprised.

"Caroline is my best and oldest friend in the whole world," Katie announced. "And if I hear that any of you have done anything or said anything to make her feel bad, you'll have to answer to me. I think you know what happens when you cross me."

"We know," Paulina said quickly.

"Now, if you'll excuse us, we have some shopping to do," Katie said linking her arm with Caroline's.

Caroline looked at Katie in amazement. "You stood up for me to those Slytherins."

"Of course," Katie said with a shrug. "Why wouldn't I?"

Caroline just shrugged too.

"I should never have treated you like I did," Katie said. "I was probably ten times worse than that horrid Ruby. You didn't deserve that."

"It's not such a big deal anymore," Caroline replied.

"It is," Katie said. "I really missed being friends, Caroline. I think we got back a little of what we had before this summer. Don't you?"

"We sure did," Caroline agreed.

"So," Katie said nudging her. "If someone messes with you, they mess with me." Caroline laughed. "And I happen to think that dress looks fabulous on you," Katie said. "And not just because I picked it out for you."

"I like it a lot," Caroline said. "It was nice of you to help me with my wardrobe."

"Of course," Katie said smiling.

"So how are things with Bradley?" Caroline asked as they approached the queue to pay.

"Moving a little slower than I'd like," Katie said. She did not mention how much Bradley had talked about Caroline on their date.

"I'm sure once we're back at school you two will heat up a bit," Caroline told her.

"I certainly plan on it," Katie said. "In fact, could you do me a favour? Since you two are such good friends, could you put in a good word for me?"

"Um... sure." Caroline agreed a bit hesitantly. She wasn't sure why, but she felt strange about helping Katie out.

"Thanks," Katie beamed at her.

"No problem," Caroline put her stack of books on the counter. "Where should we go now?"

"Want to go see how Em's doing?" Katie asked.

"I'm sure she's already at the sweets shoppe," Caroline replied.

Katie laughed. "Em never changes."

"I hope she never does," Caroline said as she paid the clerk.

"She won't," Katie said, paying for her books.

Caroline studied her friend. Today, Katie had really surprised her. She had never in a million years thought Katie would stick up for her in front of her Slytherin friends.

*** *** ***

Harry found himself in yet another foul mood at work that day. This time Josephine had successfully managed to usurp him on a raid and was jubilantly listing everything that she'd done to apprehend the suspects.

"And after that," she continued. "They didn't have a chance. My stunning spell had them all."

"Excellent work, Josephine," Kingsley said, patting her on the back.

"Thank you," Josephine couldn't help but smirk at Harry.

"Easy," Neville said in a low voice to Harry. "You'll have your chance tomorrow."

"I better," Harry snapped. "I'm tired of this. When the hell are they going to make a decision?"

"Word is next week," Neville said.

"About time," Harry grumbled.

"Go home and get some rest," Neville said. He had already led a successful mission earlier that week. "Your big day is tomorrow."

"If she doesn't one up me again," Harry muttered.

"She's off tomorrow," Neville said. "Remember?"

Harry's mood brightened immediately. "That's the best news I've had all day."

Neville grinned. "Night, Harry."

Harry decided to go up and check in with his wife before leaving the Ministry. "Hey Sam," he said, walking into the office.

"Brace yourself," Sam said. "She's not in the best of moods."

"Did she have to deal with that Italian Minister again?" Harry grimaced.

Sam nodded. "All morning."

"Shit," Harry said. "Maybe--"

The door to Hermione's office opened and she stalked out of the room, muttering something as she threw a file on Samuel's desk.

"Hi sweetheart," Harry managed.

Hermione put her hand to her forehead. "Harry, now really isn't the best time."

"I just wanted to say I'm going home," Harry replied.

"Must be nice," Hermione muttered. "Samuel--can you get me something for a headache?"

"I'll get it," Harry said quickly. Samuel picked up the files and excused himself, leaving the couple alone.

"I swear," Hermione muttered. "This has just been the worst day..."

"Sam said you were with the Italian minister all morning," Harry said following his wife back into her office.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "That man is insufferable."

Harry quickly mixed the headache potion for her and carried it over to her. "Why do you let him get to you like that?"

"Why do you let Josephine get to you?" Hermione countered sharply. "Same thing."

"Fair point," Harry said, handing her the glass.

Hermione sighed. "Thanks..."

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Harry asked her. "I went to bed and you were still at work and when I woke up..."

"I never even left here," Hermione answered.

Harry looked at her in surprise. "Sweetheart..."

"There was just too much to do," Hermione replied.

"You need some rest," Harry told her.

"Once I get my work done, I'll rest," Hermione said firmly.

"Let's go home," Harry said. "This can all wait. You're no good to anyone like this."

"Did you not just hear me?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, but---"

"I have work to do," Hermione said. "I'll be home when I'm done."

Harry sighed. "Fine."

Hermione shook her head and muttered something under her breath before turning back to another pile of papers.

"What was that?" Harry asked.

"Nothing," she said testily. "I'll see you later."

Harry stood up. "You obviously had something to say. Say it to my face."

"I just said that you would never understand," she snapped. "You don't face the duties I face."

Harry stared at her for a moment. "I beg your pardon?"

"You don't have my job," Hermione said impatiently.

"If it's making you like this, perhaps you should retire," Harry said. "You've talked about it before."

Hermione glared at him. "I am NOT retiring."

"Why are you jumping down my throat?" Harry asked incredulously. "Pardon me for caring about you."

"Oh aren't you just a saint," Hermione said sarcastically.

"Run yourself ragged, Hermione," Harry said in a similar tone. "Stay up all hours. Do whatever you want. You always do."

"Thanks for your permission," Hermione snapped before turning away. Harry rolled his eyes. Hermione kept her back to her husband as she continued working on her budget.

"Oh, so now I get the silent treatment?" Harry asked incredulously. "How old are you, Hermione? Six?"

"I am BUSY," Hermione said angrily. "Just because it doesn't involve running around and casting spells doesn't make it any less important. In fact, my job is far more important than yours."

Harry folded his arms. "Oh, really?"

"If you can't handle the truth then don't ask for it," Hermione said shortly.

"Your job is more important than mine?" Harry asked incredulously. "You sit behind that desk and tell people what to do! I actually DO things."

"You follow my orders," Hermione countered.

"You have absolutely no idea what it's like for me," Harry told her. "I'm in charge of people's lives. I take that very seriously. I have since I was eleven---what? What is that smirk for?"

"Nothing you'd understand," Hermione waved him off.

"You can't dismiss me!" Harry yelled at her. "I'm not an underling, Hermione."

"Yes you are," she answered spitefully.

Harry glared at her.

"Goodbye," she said, putting an emphasis on the word bye.

"Yeah, goodbye," Harry said sarcastically. "I'm going to stay at a hotel tonight."

"Good for you," Hermione said.

Harry stalked out of the office, slamming the door behind him. Hermione felt momentarily bad for the things she'd said to her husband, but he hadn't been any better.

The nerve of him, she thought. Telling her she should retire. If anyone should retire, it was him. He was running himself ragged with this Chief Auror race and she had been there behind him all along, supporting him. But, he could not give her the same courtesy.

She threw her quill down and rubbed at her eyes. Things had been tense lately due to the Auror position and she could hardly wait to come to a final decision. She wondered how Harry would handle it if he was passed over. Neville and Josephine were just as capable as Harry.

Truth be told, Hermione thought Neville was the best one for the position.

Neville had the same amount of experience as Harry, but he was more level-headed for a position like this. Neville thought out his decisions and acted after careful consideration. Harry still wanted to act first and ask questions later. And Josephine seemed to be much the same way as Harry. Quick to jump in and figure out the details later.

There was a reason Lupin had been such a successful leader and out of all the candidates, Neville was the closest to Lupin in temperament and style. She reached for a blank piece of parchment and began to write her reasoning down for the Wizengamot to consider when they finalized their own decision.