Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter continues the cliffhanger from last week. Please read and review!

Lestrange just stared at him for a long moment. "AVADA KEDAVRA!" he shrieked at the top of his lungs.

Harry crumpled to the ground just as the other Aurors arrived on the scene.

"Harry!" Neville shouted as Natalie stunned Lestrange with a spell.

Neville ran toward his best friend and knelt down.

"What happened?" Josephine asked, rushing into the room.

"You tell me," Neville glared at her.

Her face grew pale as she saw Harry on the floor. "Is he all right?"

Neville did not answer her and she looked at Natalie.

"He was hit with the killing curse," Natalie said quietly.

Josephine slapped her hands to her mouth in horror. "It wasn't supposed to happen that way!"

Neville looked up at her. "What's that supposed to mean, Josephine?"

"I uh..." Josephine swallowed. "I um... I just was supposed to capture him..."

Neville shook his head in disbelief. "Great job," he said sarcastically. He turned his attention back to Harry. His friend's skin was deathly white and there was no movement. Tears welled in Neville's eyes.

"We have to get him back," Neville choked out. "Harry..."

Back at the Ministry, Hermione was working with Samuel on a speech. She had not slept well the night before and she had not heard from her husband since their fight. The stubborn part of her wanted to hold strong and not back down.

"Hermione," Samuel touched her arm. "Are you all right?"

Hermione nodded. "I'm fine. I think I'm going to go home early. It's late and this speech can wait until tomorrow."

"All right," Samuel said. "I'll send those owls out and then get your agenda ready for tomorrow."

"Thanks," Hermione said to him. "I'll see you in the morning."

Samuel left her alone in the office and Hermione sat back in her chair for a moment and rubbed at her eyes. She hoped her husband would come home tonight. She had no idea where he had stayed last night. Hermione was about to head home through the Floo when Neville's head popped up in front of her.

"Neville!" Hermione gasped. "You startled me!"

"Hermione I need you to come to St. Mungos right away," he said. Even through the fire she could tell his face was pale. "Immediately."

"What's going on?" Hermione demanded.

"Just come over here," Neville pulled his head out of the fire.

Hermione grabbed a handful of Floo powder, trying to keep her emotions in check. It was hard not to think of every worst case scenario.

She found Neville at the nurse's station, pacing in front of the desk. He had a shell-shocked expression on his face and he looked as if he had been crying.

"What happened?" she demanded.

He could not look at her which only made Hermione even more afraid. She had never seen him like this. "Neville?" she asked again. "What happened?"

"We were on a mission," he said, his voice cracking. "Lestrange... trapped Harry..."

"Lestrange?" Hermione asked, confused.

"A Death Eater," Neville said. "Um... and he... he trapped Harry and used the killing curse." a look of real anguish crossed Neville's face. "He um... Harry's--"

"Harry's what?" Hermione asked, pleadingly.

Neville looked around at the crowded lobby. "Maybe we should go sit down--" he began.

"I don't want to sit down," Hermione interrupted him. "I want to know where my husband is."

"He uh..." Neville faltered. "Oh Merlin, Hermione... he's... he's..."

"WHAT?" Hermione nearly shouted in frustration.

"He was hit with the killing curse," Neville said in a low voice. He told her everything he remembered about the mission and how everything went horribly wrong. He told her about Josephine and how she had manipulated the situation in such a way where she would be the hero. Hermione stared at Neville, unblinking and unmoving.

"Hermione?" Neville asked, his voice breaking. "I'm so sorry--"

"No," Hermione shook her head. "It wasn't Harry."

Neville nodded. "I'm sorry, Hermione. But---but it's---"

"NO!" She said forcefully.

She grabbed hold of his robes and looked at him with tears shining in her eyes. "He--"

"Hermione," he said quietly. "Come on. I asked Cho to bring your children here, but you're going to have to tell them."

Hermione stared at him for a long moment, trying to process what he had said. Her eyes rolled back and she collapsed into his arms.

"Get a healer!" Neville barked at the nearest nurse.

She nodded and hurried down the hall. Neville cradled Hermione in his arms.

He managed to get her into a private room just down the corridor and lay her on the bed.

A healer came into the room moments later and Neville stepped outside. He could still see the look on Hermione's face when he told her the horrible news. Neville resumed his pacing, wondering how in the world they would all cope with this. The Potter children worshiped their father.

Neville had sent for Ethan back at the Auror headquarters and Cho had gone to get Julie and Saffron. He didn't want to break the news to them. It wasn't his place to do so.
They arrived with Cho a few moments later. It hurt Neville to look at Ethan. He looked so much like his father.

"What's going on?" Ethan asked. "What's happened?"

Saffron had linked her arm in Julie's and she looked at Neville. "Aunt Cho said that Mum was going to meet us here. Where---where is she?" Saffron asked.

Neville sighed. "She's in the room over here."

"Mum?" Julie asked in a whisper. "Oh Merlin..."

"What happened to her?" Saffron asked. "Where's Dad?"

Ethan led the way into the room where the healer was tending to Hermione.

She was just stirring and the healer was helping her sit up in bed. Hermione looked around and felt her face crumple as she saw her settings. She hoped it had all been a bad dream.

"Mum!" Saffron hurried over to her.

"Saffy," Hermione held her daughter tightly to her.

"Mum what on earth is going on?" Saffron asked. "Cho just told us we needed to come over here..."

Hermione's lower lip trembled as she took in the faces of her children.

"Mum," Julie's face was ashen. "Please tell us..."

"Sit down," Hermione said, summoning all the courage she could. The healer stepped out of the room as did Neville and Cho.

Ethan perched on the edge of the bed while Saffron and Julie sat on either side of Hermione. "Did something happen at the raid?" he asked, his stomach heavy with dread.

Hermione nodded, as a tear fell down her cheek.

"Mum please," Saffron begged. "Dad's okay, right?"

Hermione did not want to say the words because it would make it seem real. But, her children needed to know and they needed her to be strong. She shook her head. "No, Saffy. He's not okay. He---he was on the raid and a Death Eater---"

"Lestrange?" Ethan shot up from the edge of the bed.

Again, Hermione nodded. Julie shook her head. "No, it's not possible! Dad's---Dad's fine."

Saffron stood up too and looked at her brother. "Ethan, Daddy survived this before. He was just a baby then."

Hermione shook her head. "No baby. Not this time..."

Saffron looked at her mother. "Mummy," she whispered.

"I need to see him," Hermione said. She knew she wasn't thinking rationally but perhaps... perhaps when she went in there, he wouldn't be dead.

"Us too," Ethan said, knowing that his father would want him to be strong for his mother and sisters.

Hermione nodded vaguely. "Yes... yes. Neville knows where he is."

Ethan helped his mother out of bed and took her hand.

"Where is he, Neville?" Hermione asked when the four of them emerged.

Neville wiped at his eyes. "I'll---I'll take you to him."

Hermione took a deep breath and followed their friend down another corridor. "He's... in here. But-"

"I know, Mum," Ethan said quietly.

"I just..." Hermione had her hand on the doorknob.

"We're right here, Mum," Julie said. "We'll---we'll do it together."

Hermione's hand shook but she managed to open the door. Harry lay sprawled on the bed, his face pale and eyes shut tight.

"Harry..." she whimpered, suddenly feeling lost again. Harry couldn't be gone. He just couldn't be. They were never supposed to leave one another. Her last words to him had been so angry. Hermione started to cry in earnest.

"We fought," she sobbed. "I was so mad at him!"

"He knows you love him," Ethan reassured her. He was not ready to talk about his father in the past tense.

"He didn't even come home," Hermione rushed to the bedside. "And I never got to tell him how much I loved him..."

She touched his cheek. They had taken off his glasses. "Harry," Hermione said, touching his cold skin. "I'm here."

"Daddy," Saffron whispered. "You can't die. You can't leave us yet."

Ethan nodded. "Dad, you know it pains me to admit it, but Saffy's right. You have loads left to do." The four of them sat in silence, all looking at Harry's body. Hermione traced her hand over the scar that defined his existence.

"I don't know what I'm going to tell the girls," Julie said brokenly.

Saffron nodded. "Just---just this evening, Ellie was drawing him a picture."

"Of what?" Hermione asked faintly.

"Her grandpa on a broom," Saffron said softly.

Hermione's eyes filled with tears as she looked back at her husband. "Harry... please..." she whispered.

Saffron stood up to get her mother a tissue when she saw a slight movement of her father's hand. "Daddy?"

Hermione was instantly on her feet. "Harry?"

"His hand moved," Saffron said to Ethan. "You--you saw that, right?"

"I... I don't know," Ethan said in astonishment.

"I saw it," Saffron said determinedly, reaching for her father's hand. "Daddy. We're here."

"Harry, if you're there, wake up," Hermione said, pressing her lips to his temple. "Please..."

This time, Julie saw his hand move. "Ethan! Get the healer!"

Ethan turned and rushed out of the room. Hermione gazed hopefully at her husband's face. Suddenly he didn't seem so pale.

"I love you," Hermione whispered. "We all love you so much."

"Do you think he's okay?" Saffron asked her mother.

"I hope so, baby," Hermione replied as the healer followed Ethan into the room.

"We saw him move!" Saffron burst out. "He moved--"

The healer looked at her sympathetically. "That's not possible..."

"HE MOVED!" Saffron shrieked. "I'm not bloody blind you know!"

"I'll just examine him, shall I?" the healer asked though he did not seem to believe her.

"We all saw him," Hermione gave the healer a hard look. "And he's survived it once before-"


The healer lifted up Harry's eyelids and examined his eyes. He then felt for a pulse by placing two fingers on Harry's neck. "See, it's just as---"

Harry's body jerked violently and nearly flew up off the bed.

Hermione leaned against Ethan for support. Harry's eyes blinked open and Hermione gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. The healer stared in disbelief.

"Daddy!" Saffron flew towards the bed.

His green eyes focused on hers, but he did not say anything.

"I need everyone to stay back," the healer said. "We need to make sure it's him, and not some sort of spell."

Julie put a hand on Saffron's shoulder. "He's right, Saf. Stand back."

Saffron clung to her mother as another healer rushed in and they began examining Harry.

The healers were talking in hushed voices so the family could not hear a word they were saying. Julie leaned against Ethan as they waited. It seemed to take forever. "Hermione," Harry said weakly, turning his head to look at his wife. "Where---where are my glasses?"

Hermione took them from the counter. "Here..." she said softly. She placed them carefully on for him. "How's that?" she asked.

"What happened to me?" he asked her.

"You scared us to death is what you did," Hermione said touching his cheek. "Oh, Harry. I'm so sorry."

He gazed up at her. "Why am I here?"

Ethan stepped forward and told his father what had happened on the mission. "Lestrange is in Azkaban, Dad."

Harry stared at him. "He hit me with the killing curse?"

Ethan nodded. "And you survived. Again." He grinned at his father.

Hermione stared at her husband as the full reality of what just happened hit her. "I want Josephine Hilson brought to my office," she said. "Right now. This minute."

"I'll tell Neville," Ethan said.

"We'll stay here with Dad," Julie said, hardly believing what was happening. "And we'll keep you posted."

Hermione gave her husband a kiss. "I'll be back soon. I promise."

Harry smiled up at her and Hermione thought it was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. Hermione gave him one last kiss and then hugged her two daughters.

The warm, elated feeling inside her dissipated as she headed for her office to confront the woman who had almost cost her part of her reason for living.

Josephine was sitting on the sofa, a worried expression on her face. The moment she saw Hermione, she stood up. "Minister, I am so sorry..."

"Sit down," Hermione said coldly.

Josephine did as she asked.

"Do you even KNOW what you've done?" Hermione asked harshly.

"I-I messed up," Josephine stammered. "I was only---"

"You are so lucky," Hermione interrupted her. "By some miracle, Harry is alive."

Josephine sighed in relief. "Oh, thank Merlin!"

"Don't even think for a moment that this gets you off the hook," Hermione bristled. "What you did was careless and petty."

Josephine shook her head. "No, all I was---"

"You are determined to make my husband look bad in front of Lupin," Hermione cut her off.

"So you'll get the head Auror position. I can assure you that will not happen now."

Hermione could see the wheels turning in Josephine's head on how to spin this. "Listen, I know that this looks bad, but I had no idea that this would happen, Minister. I never wanted Harry to get hurt," Josephine began.

"That doesn't MATTER!" Hermione slapped her hand down on the desk. "He DIED because of what you did!"

Josephine blanched. "But, but you said he survived---"

"He's just woken up," Hermione said. "Somehow he's survived the killing curse, again."


"But he was dead." Hermione said. "I had to sit there, with my CHILDREN, and try to figure out what to do with their father dead."

"I am so sorry, Minister," Josephine managed. "So very sorry..."

Hermione stood up. "If you ever... EVER... try ANYTHING like this again... I will make your life hell. I'll make it so miserable that you'll wish you could live on another planet."

Josephine nodded wordlessly.

"Go," Hermione pointed to the door. "And remember what I said."

Josephine shakily got to her feet. "Minister, I really am sorry."

"I'm withdrawing my recommendation of you for this job," Hermione said. "I really, really think it would be best if you weren't here next time I visit the Auror department."

Josephine left the office without another word. Hermione stared after her for a long moment before hurrying back to St. Mungos.

Saffron, Julie and Ethan were still sitting with their father. "What's going on?" she asked briskly.

Saffron smiled. "Uncle Neville's gone to get Dad some real food with Aunt Cho. The healers are going to run some tests soon."

Hermione sat down next to her husband. "How are you feeling?"

"Like the Hogwarts Express ran over me," Harry replied.

Hermione ran her hand back through his hair as unexpected tears sprang to her eyes. "I thought I lost you."

Their children slipped out of the room to give their parents some privacy. Harry smiled at his wife. "You can't get rid of me that easily, Mrs. Potter. You know that."

"I know," Hermione wiped at her eyes. "But we fought... and then Neville's telling me you're dead... it was as if everything else died too."

"It was a stupid fight," Harry said squeezed her hand.

"It really was," Hermione said. "I was being selfish."

"And I was being an arse," Harry said touching her cheek. "I'm sorry, love."

"It doesn't matter now," Hermione closed her eyes.

"Come here," Harry said opening his arms. Hermione gingerly slid next to him on the bed. "You were the last thought I had," Harry said softly. "When he hit me with that spell."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears again. "You absorbed the killing curse twice."

"I'm hoping not to go for three," Harry joked. Hermione shook her head. Harry gave her a kiss. "Damn Josephine," he muttered.

"I took care of her," Hermione replied.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "What did you do?"

Hermione smiled thinly. "Told her she needed to go before I did something I'd regret."

Harry smiled. "That's my girl."

Hermione stared into his green eyes. "Don't leave me, Harry."

"Never," Harry promised, wrapping his arms around her. "I'm sorry I made all of you worry."

"It's not your fault," Hermione said. "Honestly, the nerve..."

There was a knock on the door and Saffron peered inside the room with Julie and Ethan. "We have food!" Saffron exclaimed happily.

"Eat only a little," one of the healers warned Harry. "Your body has been through quite a shock."

Harry nodded and Hermione helped him sit up. "What did Neville bring?"

"We just went down to the cafeteria," Julie explained. "Neville's back at the headquarters filling out a report on what happened to you."

"We would have been back sooner but the brat had to tell everyone what to do," Ethan said nudging Saffron.

"I just know best," Saffron said, sitting next to her father.

Harry smiled at her. "Thanks, Saffy. Thanks to all of you."

"I'm just so glad you're okay," Saffron said. "I can't... I couldn't picture what things would be like without you."

"Me too," Harry said, his voice cracking a bit as he thought of what he might have missed.
Saffron's eyes filled with tears as she looked at her father.

"Oh, sweetheart," Harry said hugging her tightly. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I know," Saffron whimpered. "But when we saw you lying here..."

Julie wiped at her eyes. "I can't even describe it, Dad and then Saffy saw you move your hand."

"I could kill that woman for almost destroying our family," Hermione said furiously.

Ethan nodded in agreement. "What kind of Auror does that?"

"One that's likely headed back to Australia," Hermione responded darkly. "I don't ever want to see her again."

"Me either," Harry said, watching as Julie moved the tray table over to him. She did not realise how low it was and she accidentally hit her father's knee.

"Sorry, Dad!" Julie said hastily.

Harry looked over at her. "For what?"

"I just hit you," Julie explained.

"You didn't feel that?" Hermione asked in alarm.

"No..." Harry replied.

"Julie---Julie get the healer, please," Hermione said shakily. Julie stepped back and rushed from the room.

"I'm sure it's nothing," Ethan said confidently. "Just after-effects from the spell."

"It better be," Harry said his tone ominous.

The healer came back into the room and asked the family to leave so they could examine Harry.

"What do you think is wrong?" Saffron asked her mother anxiously. "Is Dad paralysed?"

Hermione shook her head. "I'm sure he's not. It's---it's probably like Ethan said." Her answer did not sound convincing even to her. Saffron couldn't help the sharp pain of dread in her stomach.

They sat outside Harry's room for what seemed like an eternity. The healer came out looking quite sombre and serious.

"What is it?" Hermione asked. "What's wrong with my husband?"

"Mr. Potter cannot feel his legs," the healer said. "Now, since we don't have much experience with people surviving the killing curse, we have no idea how long this will last."

"Is he paralysed?" Hermione asked in a controlled voice.

"Yes," the healer replied quietly. "But, that's not all." Hermione gripped her son's arm. "He--um, he's exhibiting very low levels of magic," the healer continued. "Again, this could be the side effect of the spell, but we have no way of knowing."

"He's lost his ability for magic?" Saffron nearly shrieked.

"For the time being," the healer reiterated. "We have no idea how long this will last. It could be temporary or it could be---"

"Oh Merlin," Hermione sank down into a chair.

"Did you tell him?" Julie asked. "Does he know?"

"Not yet," the healer replied quietly. Saffron sat down beside her mother, unsure of what to say.

"Would you like us to break the news to him?" Another healer offered.

Hermione shook her head. "No, it should come from us."

"Very well, Minister," the healer nodded. Saffron squeezed her mother's hand.

Hermione sighed. "How are we going to tell him this?"

"We should be honest," Ethan said thoughtfully. "Dad will see right through it if we try to sugar-coat it." Hermione closed her eyes and tried to gather her strength. Saffron tried to stave off her tears. She wanted to be strong for her father.

"Come on," Hermione said. "I'm going to need all of you there with me."

Ethan offered his mother his hand and led the way back into Harry's room.

"Hi sweetheart," Hermione said softly.

"What's wrong with me?" Harry asked her point-blank.

Hermione bit her lower lip. "Harry... they say your lower half is paralysed."

Harry nodded. "Which was why I couldn't feel it when Julie moved the table."

"That's not all," Hermione sat down gingerly on the edge of the bed. "They said you're displaying very low levels of magic."

"But it's only temporary, right?" Harry asked hopefully. No one answered him and he looked at the faces of his wife and children and he knew.

"I'm going to be like this forever, right?" he asked angrily. "Fucking immobile and not able to do anything for myself!?

Hermione shook her head. "No, Harry. We don't know that for sure."

"And no magic?" Harry asked furiously.

"It's probably temporary," Ethan said. "I mean, you survived it last time, right? And look what you became."

Harry turned away to glare out the window.

Julie could not imagine what this must be like for her father, but she felt she had to say something. "We're going to be here with you every step of the way, Dad. I can get someone to help with my classes..."

Saffron nodded. "And it's the off-season now. I'll come by every day, Dad."

"Don't bother with a cripple," Harry said bitterly.

"Daddy," Saffron protested.

"Harry, we're just happy you're alive," Hermione said softly.

"Two hours ago, we thought you were dead," Ethan said.

"I wouldn't care if we had to push you everywhere for the rest of our lives if it means you're alive," Saffron added.

"I know this isn't what you wanted to deal with, but you're alive," Hermione said sitting down on the edge of his bed. "And you are a fighter. You can fight this and get it all back, Harry."

"I guess," he admitted grudgingly.

"No," Hermione said reaching for his hand. "You might not want our help, but you're going to get it." Harry cracked a slight smile at her.

"Mum's right," Saffron said. "But then again, she's always right."

"Too right," Hermione agreed. "I know you all don't want to leave, but I think your father needs his rest now."

Ethan nodded and stepped forward to give his father a hug. "I love you, Dad."

"Love you too, son," Harry said. "Keep me posted on what's going on in headquarters."

"Always," Ethan promised.

"I'll stop by and see you tomorrow," Saffron promised. "Mum, you can owl me if I need to bring anything."

Harry hugged his youngest daughter. "Give Ellie and Edward a kiss from their Grandpa."

"I will," Saffron blinked back some new tears. She turned around so her father wouldn't see. Ethan put his arm around her and gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

Julie also hugged their father goodbye then the three of them left the room. Harry sighed and looked at the plate of untouched food before him.

"You should try and eat something," Hermione said gently. "You're going to need all of your strength, Harry."

Harry looked at her. "This morning, I woke up and everything was fine. You know? I could---I could walk. I could do magic. And now---nothing. I know I should be happy to be alive and I am, but forgive me if I don't know what to do about any of this, Hermione."

"I don't either," she said. "But we'll work through it, okay?"

Harry nodded and picked up his fork.

"Good," Hermione encouraged.

Hermione watched her husband take a few bites of his food. She had gone through a myriad of emotions tonight.

She wished so much that she could take a time turner and go back to prevent everything- his being cursed, their fight... Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at him. The man who had changed her life.

"Hey," Harry said, gazing up at her. "I'm all right, Hermione."

"I know," Hermione said wiping at her eyes.

"I really want to know what's going to happen to Josephine," Harry admitted.

"Well, there's no way she's going to be Head Auror," Hermione said. "Not after this stunt."

"She never deserved it anyway," Harry muttered. "Not that I did either..."

"Of course you did," Hermione said. "You're a great leader, Harry."

Harry shrugged. "Not with this."

"I'm so sorry about our fight," Hermione said. "I keep thinking if I had just listened to you about Josephine that maybe I could have done something to prevent this."

"She would have done it anyway," Harry said.

Hermione moved the tray table out of the way andgot into the bed beside her husband. She rested her head on his chest and listened to the best sound---his heart beating.

Harry ran his hand through her hair. "I think Neville should get the job."

"You're taking yourself out of the running?" Hermione asked.

"How am I supposed to do this now?" Harry asked,

"Harry," Hermione started to say.

"What's the point?" Harry asked. "I'm going to have to take a leave to get myself back in order."

"And so will I," Hermione said lifting her head to look at him.

Harry leaned in to give her a kiss.

"I love you," Hermione said softly. "So much."

"I love you too," Harry said. "I'm not going to leave you."

Hermione smiled. "Promise?"

"I promise," Harry answered.

Harry held his wife close, trying not to feel sorry for himself. So much of who and what he was came from magic. The idea that he would not be able to do it again terrified him.

*** *** ***