Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter will help you get to know Dimitri a little better and will feature some Gabe/Stephanie. Enjoy!

Saffron had stopped over with Ellie to see Alexa's mother and to check in on how the latest member of the family was settling in. To be completely honest, Saffron had not had the chance to get to know Alexa's husband all that well. She had been busy helping her mother with the cottage. Saffron knocked on the door and looked down at Ellie. Ellie thought it was quite romantic that Alexa had a husband and that it all seemed like a fairy tale.

"And I bet they live happily ever after," Ellie said, finishing her story about Alexa and Dimitri.

Saffron smiled down at her just as the door swung open to reveal Karen O'Leary. "Saffron! Ellie!" Karen exclaimed. "How nice it is to see you!"

"Hi!" Ellie reached up to hug Karen. "I miss you!"

"I miss you too!" Karen laughed, hugging her. "Come on inside. It's freezing out there!"

"I'm sorry it's been so long since we've been by," Saffron said.

Karen saw them inside and closed the door. She hugged Saffron. "How's your father, sweetheart?"

Saffron shrugged. "Still the same."

Ellie looked up at her. "Grandpa's really sad."

"He's going to be all right," Saffron smoothed her daughter's hair. "We're trying to keep positive."

"If there's anything we can do, you just let me know," Karen offered.

"Thank you," Saffron said. "Is Lexie around?"

The smile on Karen's face fell a bit. "Um, yes. She's upstairs in her room."

"How are things with her husband?" Saffron asked. "It is so strange saying that..."

"You're telling me," Karen said shaking her head.

"I think he's a prince," Ellie announced.

Saffron laughed. "The whole talk, dark, and handsome thing has her."

Karen's smile came a little easier this time. "Go ahead up there."

Ellie grabbed her mother's hand. "Let's go!"

Saffron allowed her daughter to pull her up the stairs and she knocked on Alexa's closed bedroom door. "Lexie? It's me and Ellie."

Alexa opened the door and grinned. "Well, this is a great surprise! Come here, Ellie!"

Ellie gave her a quick hug then made a beeline for Dimitri, who was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Dim-i-tri!" Ellie trilled.

He laughed. "Good morning, Mademoiselle Ellie."

Ellie beamed at him.

"Hi, Saffron," he looked up and nodded to her. "It's good to see you again."

"Nice to see you," Saffron said. "How are things going here?"

"Pretty good," Alexa replied. "We were just trying to figure out what we were going to do today."

"We're going shopping!" Ellie told them.

"What for?" Alexa asked the little girl.

"Presents for Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Ethan and Aunt Ju-lie," Ellie replied.

"Oh that sounds like so much fun," Alexa replied.

"Do you want to come with us?" Saffron asked.

"I could make do with finishing my Christmas shopping," Alexa looked at her husband.

"I should check in at the agency to see if they received those photos," Dimitri said. "Go. Have fun."

"Why don't you meet up with us later?" Alexa asked.

Dimitri grinned. "I'd like that, Lexa."

"Plus it gives us a chance to talk with you some more," Saffron said. "Get to know you."

"Don't grill him," Alexa said. "He's gone through enough of that with my parents. I swear those two should be working for Scotland Yard."

Saffron gave her friend an innocent smile. "I wasn't going to grill him.'

"Right," Alexa said. "You should be an Auror with your skills."

"Never too late for a career change," Saffron said.

"What are we going to do with your mother, El?" Alexa asked the little girl.

"Daddy says we love her no matter what," Ellie recited.

Alexa and Dimitri laughed. Saffron reached for her daughter and tickled her side. "Very funny, Elinore."

Ellie giggled. "Come on Mummy!"

Alexa reached for her cloak. "Where did you want to meet, Dimka?"

"You're the native," he smiled at her. "You tell me."

"How about that pub around the corner?" Alexa asked putting her arms around him.

"Around four or so?"

"I'll be there," he gave her a kiss. "I love you," he added in Russian.

Alexa touched his cheek and responded to him in kind. Ellie looked at her mother. "What did they say, Mummy?"

"I'm not sure, baby." Saffron replied.

Alexa reluctantly pulled away from her husband. She looked at her friend. "Ready?"

Saffron nodded. "We'll see you later, Dimitri."

He smiled. "Have fun."

Saffron gave her friend a sidelong look. "Things aren't going so well with your parents?"

"They're being---polite," Alexa said. "But my mother's hurt that we were married without her there. My father is suspicious of someone who would marry so quickly."

"Maybe they need time to understand how you feel," Saffron told her.

"Hopefully," Alexa said as they reached the bottom of the stairs. "Mum? Saffy and I are leaving."

Karen smiled. "Is Dimitri going with you?"

"He's meeting us later," Alexa replied. "He's going to check in with the agency."

"All right," Karen said. "See you later..."

"Mum, be nice to him," Alexa pleaded.

"I have not been rude once," Karen replied.

"Make sure Daddy is," Alexa said. "Remind him that Dimitri has a name other than 'the Russian'."

Saffron covered her mouth so Mrs. O'Leary wouldn't see her laugh

"Okay," Karen relented. "I'll see you later."

"I swear," Alexa said once they'd left. "If they could remember his name I'd be shocked."

"They really call him that?" Saffron asked.

"Oh not to his face," Alexa said. "But I heard them talking..."

Saffron smiled sympathetically at her friend. "They'll come around."

"They'd better," Alexa said "He's their son in law."

"And he's a prince," Ellie said with a grin.

Alexa laughed and picked up her goddaughter. "He is a prince," she agreed.

"We're going shopping!" Ellie said excitedly. "I have to buy a present for Rafe."

"What will you get him?" Alexa asked.

Ellie looked thoughtful. "I don't know."

"A nice new robe perhaps," Alexa suggested.

"That's a good idea," Saffron said. "What do you think, El?"

"If I see one I like," Ellie replied.

"Where's your brother and dad today?" Alexa asked the little girl.

"Flying," Ellie answered

"Edward was so excited," Saffron said.

"Flying is in your blood," Alexa said, setting Ellie down so the little girl could walk between them.

"Yes it is," Saffron said fondly.

Ellie chattered on as they headed for the shops. She told Alexa the fairy tale she had made up about Dimitri.

"So he slew a dragon and a dinosaur?" Alexa asked. "To get to Princess Alexa?"

Ellie nodded eagerly. "Because she was the best princess of them all."

Alexa knelt down and gave the little girl a hug. "You are too sweet, Ellie. Thank you."

"You won't leave us again will you?" Ellie asked her.

"Oh, sweetheart," Alexa said. "I'm sorry I was gone for so long."

"It was like forever," Ellie said. "That's what I heard Mummy tell Daddy."

Alexa looked up at Saffy. "You did, did you?"

"I didn't say that," Saffron said hastily.

"It's okay," Alexa said. "I was gone for a long time and it's not the same with letters and phone calls. But, I promise I'm going to do better."

"Well," Saffron said. "RJ mentioned that Luna was looking for a new reporter for The Quibbler."

"Freelance?" Alexa asked.

Saffron shook her head. "No, more of a permanent position."

"I don't know," Alexa hedged. "I love my job."

"I was just mentioning it," Saffron said.

"I want to be able to go where my husband goes," Alexa said. "Especially if we have children soon."

"But if you have children don't you want to have more of a permanent residence?" Saffron asked.

"When we do have kids, we will cross that bridge," Alexa told her.

Saffron sighed and took Ellie's hand.

"I know you want me to live closer but I have to live my life too," Alexa said softly. "I hope you'll be happy for me."

"Do whatever you want," Saffron said. "Get married. Have children. I just hope that when you do, you'll at least let me know when you get pregnant. I imagine the next time I see you, the baby will be two."

"Saffy that isn't fair," Alexa looked over at her. "You're still mad at me because I didn't tell you about Dimitri."

"That was uncalled for," Saffron said, apologising for her comment.

"I am so happy with him," Alexa said. "You have Andrew and your two children. Why shouldn't I have the same happiness?"

"I want you to be happy," Saffron said. "You know that."

Alexa smiled at her. "I promise you'll love Dimitri if you just take the time to know him. He wants to be friends with all of you so badly."

"I suppose I could try to get to know 'the Russian'," Saffron said with a grin.

"Saffy!" Alexa exclaimed.

"Prince Russian," Ellie said.

Saffron grinned innocently. "What?"

"I like Prince Dimitri better," Ellie decided.

"Me too," Alexa said nudging Saffron.

"I promised already that I'd talk to him," Saffron said. "I have nothing against the bloke."

"Thank you," Alexa said.

"So... Christmas gifts," Saffron changed the subject.

"Right," Alexa said. "Let's get started."

"I still have to find something for Andrew from Ellie and Edward," Saffron said.

"What did you have in mind?" Alexa asked as they entered one of the shoppes.

"I'm not sure," Saffron confessed.

"I want to get Daddy something pretty," Ellie said.

"Something pretty?" Saffron was amused.

Ellie nodded. "Yes, Mummy."

"We'll see what we can find," Saffron promised.

Alexa smiled and started looking for something for her father.

They had a productive shopping trip with Ellie finding something for her father---a tie. Saffron found some things for her brother and sister and Alexa found something for her parents. Ellie was falling asleep in her mother's arms when they walked into the pub. Dimitri waved them over.

"Hi," Saffron said. "Sorry... El usually has a kip but she's been up all day."

Alexa looked at her. "Why don't I take her back to my house for her kip and you and Dimitri can talk."

"Are you sure?" Dimitri asked.

"Yeah," Alexa said. "I'll get her settled with my mum and come back and join you."

"Sounds good," Saffron kissed her daughter's cheek. "You go with Aunt Lexie, baby."

Ellie opened her eyes for a moment before reaching for Alexa.

Saffron watched them go then slid across from Dimitri. "How was your day?"

"Not too bad," Dimitri replied. "I feel very much like the new kid at school. Trying to win everyone over."

Saffron smiled at him. "I feel like we haven't really given you a fair chance."

Dimitri laughed. "Maybe just a little."

"It was a big shock," Saffron said. "I mean... she just comes in and says she's married. I didn't know what to think."

Dimitri nodded. "I know. My parents had the same reaction."

"How did they like Lexie?" Saffron asked.

"They liked her very much once they got over the shock," Dimitri replied.

"I imagine her parents will be the same way," Saffron said. "I guess the most important thing is that they see how much you love her."

"I do, you know," Dimitri said. "I don't need to know her a year or two to know that."

Saffron smiled. "Andrew and I had known each other for a long time, but we fell in love quickly."

"Lexa told me," Dimitri said.

"When do you think you both will settle down and find a more permanent place to live?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," Dimitri said truthfully. "Right now, we're pretty happy with the way things are."

"So if you have a child you'll take it on your travels?" Saffron asked.

"We'll cross that bridge when it happens," Dimitri replied in the same fashion as Alexa had earlier.

Saffron nodded. "I just want Lexie to be happy. As long as she is then you and I won't have problems with one another."

"She loves you very much," Dimitri said. "No matter where she is, you'll be a part of her life. You know that."

"I hope so," Saffron answered.

The two of them talked some more about their school experiences and Saffron shared some stories with him about Alexa. By the time the woman in question arrived back at the pub, Saffron and Dimitri were laughing together.

Alexa slid into her seat beside Dimitri. "Ellie is sleeping in my room. My mum was ecstatic at the chance to watch her."

"She wants grandkids," Saffron replied.

"Someday," Alexa said grinning at her.

"What do you want to drink?" Dimitri asked his wife.

"White wine," Alexa replied.

"Coming right up," he kissed her cheek.

"So how did it go?" Alexa asked when she was alone with Saffron.

"I like him," Saffron said.

Alexa grinned. "I told you that you would."

"I told him as long as you were happy, he and I would be fine." Saffron said.

"Thank you," Alexa said happily.

"I missed this," Saffron said. "Just having you around all the time."

"Me too," Alexa said.

"Oh," Saffron said. "Ashley owled me the other night. You won't believe what

happened."

"What?" Alexa asked.

Saffron told her about Zander. "And then they... you know."

Alexa grinned. "Well, it's about time!"

"It's just so strange to think of my niece doing that..." Saffron said. "But I'm really happy for the both of them."

Alexa smiled. "And she's coming home for Christmas?"

"Yes," Saffron nodded.

"Where are you doing Christmas this year?" Alexa asked. "At the cottage?"

"I'm not sure," Saffron replied. "It'll be interesting with my dad being the way he is."

"How's he been with your mum?" Alexa asked. "Any better?"

Saffron shrugged.

"I'm sorry, Saffy," Alexa said.

"There's nothing anyone can do," Saffron said.

Alexa patted her friend's arm. "This must be horrible for your mum."

"I don't know how she handles it," Saffron replied.

"She loves him," Alexa said. "They've been through so much, Saffy. They'll get through this."

"I really hope so," Saffron said. "Never seen them like this."

"When are you going to see them again?" Alexa asked.

"Probably tonight or I'll go over tomorrow," Saffron answered. "I try to go by at least every other day."

"If you ever need a shoulder to cry on, you know I'm here," Alexa said.

"I know," Saffron said. "Thanks Lexie."

Dimitri came back with their drinks, having lingered at the bar to give the two friends a few moments alone. "All right?" he asked, sitting back down.

"Everything's great," Alexa replied.

"Almost everything," Saffron thought but did not say. If only she could make things better for her parents then everything would be perfect.

*** **** ***


Gabriel and Stephanie had enjoyed the Christmas holiday together. It was now January and Stephanie had decided to find herself an apartment so she wouldn't have to impose on Gabriel's grandparents any longer.

The apartment manager opened the door and Stephanie stepped inside. She had never had her own place before and it was kind of scary stepping out on her own like this. But, it was also something she knew was long overdue.

"One bedroom, one bathroom," the apartment manager told her.

Stephanie nodded. It was small, but cute.

"It's within walking distance of the diner," Gabriel commented.

"Even better," she nodded.

"We'd need first month's rent and the security deposit up front," the apartment manager told her.

"Of course," Stephanie nodded.

"I'll give you a few minutes to look around," the manager said. "I'll be downstairs."

"So?" Stephanie looked over at Gabriel. "What do you think?"

"It's not important what I think," Gabriel said smiling at her. "It's about what YOU think, Steph. You don't have to check with anyone first. Not anymore."

"I know," Stephanie replied. "But I'm hoping you'll like it enough to spend some time here..."

"Is that your polite way of asking me if I'll help you move?" he asked teasingly.

"Oh you're already doing that," Stephanie told him.

"Oh, really?" Gabriel asked coming over to her.

"You better believe it," she said.

Gabriel put his arms on her waist and pulled her close.

"Hmm..." she said. "I like this place even better."

"Me too," Gabriel said giving her a kiss.

Stephanie closed her eyes and he deepened the kiss. She was breathless when they pulled apart. "I think I'm definitely taking the place," she said dazedly.

Gabriel smiled. "You sure?"

"Mmmhmm..." she said, kissing him again. "I'll go sign the papers."

"Okay," Gabriel said taking her hand.

It didn't take her long to get her apartment squared away and they were leaving the building when she saw the car. Her blood ran cold and Gabriel noticed when she froze mid step.

"What's wrong?" Gabriel asked.

"It's Tony's car," she said faintly.

Gabriel followed her gaze and saw the silver sedan making a right and then driving off. "You sure?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered. "I've seen it at the diner a few times this week and then when I was out running errands."

Gabriel frowned. "Steph---why didn't you say something before? He's violating the restraining order."

"He always stays the required distance away," Stephanie said. "They can't do anything about him."

"Have you seen him near the house?" Gabriel asked.

She shook her head. "I always made sure to lose him."

Gabriel cupped her face in his hands. "Hey, it's okay. He's not going to get anywhere near you ever again."

Stephanie nodded.

"Come on," Gabriel said. "My dad and Lavender are expecting us."

"Right," Stephanie said. "What did they say we were doing?"

"Don't know," Gabriel said leading her over to his car.

Stephanie pulled the seatbelt over her shoulder and glanced out again at the street. She could not get over the fear that Tony was toying with her. He had not approached her since that night at the bowling alley. He hadn't contacted her. He was just watching her. These last few weeks with Gabriel and his family had been great, but Tony was always in the back of her mind.

Gabriel reached over and took her hand. "It'll be all right, Steph."

"When you say it, I want to believe it," Stephanie said softly.

"You can believe it," he told her.

Stephanie squeezed his hand. "Let's go."

It wasn't far to his grandparents' house and he saw his father's car already in the driveway. "I think we're a little late," he said as they hurried inside.

"There they are," Seamus said.

"Sorry we're late," Stephanie said. "We were signing the lease on my new apartment."

"Congratulations," Lavender said grinning at her.

"Thanks," Stephanie said, a bit shyly.

"Are you two doing anything tonight?" Seamus asked, after Lavender nudged him.

"Whatever it is you two have planned," Gabriel looked between them.

"Oh, how would you feel about going to a premiere?" Lavender asked.

"What?" Stephanie blurted.

Lavender smiled. "Seamus produced a movie with one of his good friends. The movie's premiering tonight and we just so happen to have some extra tickets."

"Cool," Gabriel nodded. "That sounds like fun."

"I-I don't have anything to wear for something like that," Stephanie protested.

"I've got you covered," Lavender replied.

Stephanie was dumbfounded as Lavender grabbed her by the hand. "We're going now?"

"We don't have time to waste," Lavender said. "I have a stylist upstairs."

Stephanie looked at Gabriel. "I'll be in a monkey suit," he said. "They're pretty fancy."

Stephanie laughed. "I can't believe this."

"I've got a few dresses for you to try on," Lavender said. "I guessed that you're a size four."

Stephanie gaped at her. "Yes, but---"

"It's my job," Lavender replied, leading her upstairs.

"This is really nice of you, Mrs. Finnegan," Stephanie said. "But, I know you're busy---"

"It's my pleasure," Lavender said, sitting her down in a chair.

Stephanie smiled at her in the mirror. Just a few minutes ago, she had planned on spending the evening eating dinner with Gabe and perhaps moving some things into her new apartment. But now, she was going to an actual movie premiere. Things like this just did not happen in everyday life.

It didn't take long for Seamus and Gabriel to get ready and they were sitting in the living room with Margaret and Lewis.

Margaret smiled at her grandson. "You look so handsome, Gabe."

"Thanks," Gabriel answered. "Beats wearing scrubs."

"You sure we can't talk you both into joining us?" Seamus asked.

"No thank you," Lewis said. "Cameras snapping and flashing in my face?"

Gabriel laughed. "Come on, Grandpa. You know you love the limelight."

"Hardly," Lewis grunted.

"The last time he wore a tuxedo was at our wedding," Margaret teased.

"Ready or not," Lavender called from the stairs.

Everyone stood up as Lavender descended the staircase.

"Where's Steph?" Gabriel asked.

Lavender stood at the foot of the stairs. "Stephanie..."

The girl in question peeked down shyly.

"Come on," Lavender encouraged.

Gabriel stood next to his stepmother at the foot of the stairs and his jaw dropped a bit when he saw Stephanie emerge.

He had always thought she was beautiful but in that red dress she absolutely took his breath away.

"How do I look?" she asked her tone light but he could tell she was feeling self conscious.

"Beautiful," Gabriel said softly.

"Really?" she asked.

Lavender had pulled Stephanie's hair back into a chignon and tendrils framed her face. The red dress was sleeveless and accentuated every curve. Gabriel stepped forward and reached for her hand. "I've never seen anything as beautiful," he said smiling at her.

She blushed. "Thanks, Gabe."

Lavender shared a smile with her husband.

"We're late," Seamus replied. "Let's get going."

Gabriel nodded and Stephanie linked her arm in Gabe's. "I feel like a princess," she whispered to him.

"You look like one," he told her.

Stephanie beamed at him.

He gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Come on. We get to ride in the limo."

Stephanie nodded and followed him out to the car. She had never ridden in a limo. She guessed tonight was going to be full of firsts for her.

"So who's going to be there?" Gabriel asked his father.

Seamus leaned back in his seat and ticked off a list of names. Stephanie tried to hide her excitement.

"I met her before, didn't I?" Gabriel asked of one of the actresses.

Seamus nodded. "She worked on my last film."

"This is so surreal," Stephanie said gazing out the window.

"I felt the same way the first time I went to one of these," Gabriel reassured her.

She reached for his hand and squeezed it as they pulled up outside the theatre.

"Ready?" Gabriel asked her.

"I hope so," she replied as someone opened the door.

The driver offered his hand and Stephanie took it. Slowly, she stepped out of the car as flashes nearly blinded her.

"This way," Gabriel put his arm around her waist and led her to the side. "It's a bit crazy isn't it?"

"Just a little," Stephanie said smiling at him.

"It's not so bad when we get on the carpet," Gabriel answered. "Just follow my dad and smile when you see the camera."

Stephanie nodded. It was easy to smile when she was on Gabriel's arm.

It didn't take too long for them to make their way down the red carpet and into the theatre. Stephanie was glad for the dimness- it allowed her eyes to adjust.

"Dad and Lavender will probably be awhile," Gabriel said taking his seat beside her.

"That's all right," she said. "That was fun, but I wouldn't want that life for myself."

"Me either," Gabriel admitted. The theatre wasn't very full yet, only a few people trickling in. Gabriel smiled at her. "And we probably can't make out at this movie so try to control yourself."

"I'll have you know I'm very interested in this film," Stephanie said. "And I can kiss you anytime."

"Oh, you think I'm THAT easy?" Gabriel joked.

"A little bit," she said, laughing.

Gabriel poked her in the side. "I'm insulted."

She laughed again. "Maybe you need a thicker skin.'

"Maybe," Gabriel said. "But, I am easy when the girl I'm with is as beautiful as you. When I saw you at the house---"

"What did you really think?" she asked him.

He reached for her hand. "You didn't believe me?"

"I did," Stephanie replied. "It's just nice to be complimented for a change."

Gabriel touched her cheek. "You're beautiful, Steph."

"I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I'm glad I did it," she told him.

"I was just thinking the same thing," Gabriel said. "About you."

Stephanie leaned in and gave him a kiss.

Lavender and Seamus joined them a few moments later and the screening began. Gabriel held Stephanie's hand throughout the film and snuck looks at her.

He was in awe a bit, with how gorgeous she looked that night. She looked every bit a celebrity. He wanted to be alone with her and had a feeling that she wanted the same. He leaned close to her. "We can skip the after party if you want..."

"Okay," Stephanie said softly. "But I am starving."

"We'll stop for a quick bite along the way," he promised.

Stephanie smiled. "Pizza?"

He laughed. "You got it."

They said their goodbyes to Lavender and Seamus. Seamus told Gabriel they could use the limo.

"Thanks Dad," he replied. "Does the driver know of a good pizza place?"

"I'm sure he does," Seamus said. He clapped his son on the back. "I'm really glad you both came with us tonight."

"Me too," Gabriel answered. "Tell Lav thanks for... for Steph."

Seamus nodded. "I will."

The pair arrived home a little later with a large pizza box in Gabriel's arms. "This smells great," he admitted.

"It does," Stephanie agreed kicking off her shoes.

"Feels weird to eat pizza in a tux," he said with a grin.

Stephanie laughed as she grabbed some plates from the cupboard.

Gabriel watched her slim figure move around. One strap of her dress slid off her shoulder and his fingers were aching to tug it off.

She turned around. "Is something wrong?" He shook his head, not trusting his voice. She set a plate before him and he pulled her into his lap. She laughed. "Gabe!"

"You look good enough to eat," he said,

Stephanie put her arms around his neck. "I do?"

"Uh huh," Gabriel brushed his lips over hers.

Stephanie smiled. "I've wanted you to do that all night."

"Allow me to make it better," he said.

Stephanie closed her eyes as Gabriel kissed along her neckline.

"We can take this upstairs, you know." he whispered.

"What about your grandparents?" she asked softly.

"They're asleep," he said.

Stephanie rested her forehead on his. "Okay."

Gabriel kissed her again and stood up, shifting so he was carrying her.

Stephanie kept her eyes on his. "Are you okay with this?" Gabriel asked her.

The only man she had ever been with was Tony. He was always so rough with her and she mostly closed her eyes and waited until it was over. He had never once made her feel the way that Gabriel had.

"It's all right if you want to wait," Gabriel mistook her silence for disapproval.

Stephanie leaned in and kissed him. "I don't want to wait," she whispered.

A grin spread across his face. "Me either."

He carried her into his room and gently kicked the door shut behind them.

He set her down and his fingers found the zipper on the side of her dress.

He slowly pulled it down, but stopped when he noticed the burn on her lower back. "Steph..."

"It's not new," she said quietly.

Gabriel traced his fingers over the scarred skin.

"It doesn't hurt," she said. "Not anymore.'

Gabriel put his hands on her waist and kissed her neck. He could not imagine the way that Tony had treated her.

Stephanie tilted her head, allowing Gabriel more access to her neck.

"You're so beautiful, Stephanie," Gabriel said against her skin.

Stephanie felt tears well in her eyes as he slid the dress down her body. He was being so gentle and sweet.

He turned her around and kissed her. Her hands were shaking as she loosened his tie.

"Its okay, Steph," he said, his lips touching hers as he helped her with the tie and then his shirt.

She kissed him again and felt his arms wrap around her, pulling her close.

They fell onto the bed together, still kissing. It grew more passionate as Gabriel slid his hands over her bare back.

Stephanie arched against him, loving the way he was touching her. She had never felt more beautiful or wanted.

He pushed her underwear down carefully then shed his own boxers. "I uh... I think I have some protection in my drawer," he blushed. "My dad sort of told me to have some on hand whenever... not that I was thinking--"

Stephanie touched his cheek. "I know. I'm glad that you're, um, prepared."

"Just in case," Gabriel grabbed the packet out of his drawer.

Stephanie watched him. It was on the tip of her tongue to tell him how she felt, but she did not want to scare him off. But, he had to know how she truly felt.

"Gabe?" she said so softly she wasn't sure if he had heard her.

"Yeah?" he turned to face her again.

"I---I love you," she whispered. At first she thought he hadn't heard her. "You don't have to say it back," she said hastily. "I just---"

"It's been a long time since I've felt this way about anyone," he said, running his fingers through her hair.

"What about Melanie?" Stephanie asked softly.

"I never felt like this about her," Gabriel said. "She's nowhere near as amazing as you are."

Stephanie smiled and brought him back down to her.

They kissed again and Gabriel rolled her up on top of him.

She was not used to being in control like this and she smiled down at him, knowing what he was doing for her. He was letting her take the lead and she loved him even more for it.

"Go at your pace," he encouraged, resting his hands on her hips.

Stephanie smiled seductively down at him. He'd never seen her look that way and his body reacted instantly. He gripped her hips and positioned her right where he wanted her.
She sank onto him, letting out her breath and closing her eyes.

His arms encircled her and together they began to move. It didn't take her long to reach her peak. It had been so long since she'd gotten any sort of gratification from sex. He was so different from Tony in so many different ways. He was gentle when she needed him to be and with every touch and every kiss, she could feel how much he cared about her.

She buried her face in his shoulder so she wouldn't cry her release and wake his grandparents up.

He kissed the top of her head and they were both silent for a few moments, just enjoying their togetherness.

She sniffed and he was astonished to see her crying. "Are you okay?" Gabriel asked concernedly. "I didn't hurt you did I?"

Stephanie looked up and shook her head. "No, of course not."

He wiped a tear off her cheek. "You sure?"

Stephanie smiled. "You were amazing."

"So were you," he replied. "And for the record... I love you too."

"You do?" Stephanie whispered.

"Yeah," he nodded. "I really do."

Stephanie kissed him.

He ran his hands over her back again, his fingers brushing over her scar.

"What are you thinking?" she asked.

"Just that I'd like to kill him for scarring you," Gabriel said quietly.

Stephanie was silent. Tony had left his mark on her in more ways than one. But, she did not want tonight to be about him.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I'm making you feel bad."

Stephanie shook her head. "You haven't, Gabe."

Gabriel looked over at her and realised that there was a lot he needed to tell her- namely about his father and stepmother and their ability to do magic. Hopefully she would take it well. But he didn't want to do that tonight.

Stephanie rolled over on her side but he continued to hold her close. "I hope you know that tonight doesn't mean you get out of helping me move, mister," Stephanie said grinning impishly at him.

"I wouldn't dream of it," he replied, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Stephanie laughed. "I promise to help and to make us a nice dinner afterwards."

"I'll hold you to that," he replied.

Stephanie rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

He felt her body relax as she fell asleep and he drew the sheets up around them.

Gabriel kissed the top of her head, a million thoughts running through his mind. He had not felt this way about anyone since Alexia.

He hoped he wouldn't disappoint her with his work habits, but he found himself wanting to be sure he spent lots of time with her as well.

"I love you," he whispered.

*** *** ***