Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Merry Christmas!!!!! We hope you all had a great holiday and in honor of Cliffie Christmas, we post another chapter for you guys! And THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for reviewing last chapter! We had a couple people say that they were unable to leave reviews on portkey so if you have that problem, please feel free to post on orkut! You guys are the best!

Another gunshot made her cry out and turn around and to her absolute horror she saw Gabriel crumple to the ground.

"GABE!" Stephanie screamed.

"You bitch," Tony spat. "You asked for this."

The diner's owner and cook hurried out and quickly subdued Tony. At that moment, Stephanie could care less. She leaned over Gabriel. "Gabe!"

His face was pale and he was clutching his stomach. "Shot... me..."

"I'm so sorry," Stephanie said, tears rolling down her cheeks. "The--the ambulance is on its way."

"Blake... okay?" he managed.

Stephanie looked over to where Blake was sitting up, clutching his arm.

"He's okay," Stephanie said. "Just hang on, okay?"

"W-where's Tony?" Gabriel asked.

"They've got him on the ground," Stephanie replied. "I hear the sirens now..."

Stephanie squeezed his hand. She had never seen so much blood.

"Gabe..." she said when his face grew even paler. "Hang on, okay? Gabe?"

The next few minutes passed by in a blur for Stephanie. She watched as the paramedics arrived and descended upon Gabriel. They pushed her aside and loaded him onto a stretcher.

"I need to go with him," she said. "Please--"

The paramedic nodded. "Come on then. We have to get him to the hospital ASAP."

Stephanie pushed herself onto the ambulance and they streaked across the street and into the ER.

She held Gabriel's hand. He would not be going through this if it hadn't been for her.

"You need to stay out here," one of the paramedics said as they wheeled Gabriel inside. "The police will want to talk to you and get a statement."

Stephanie nodded. "P-please just help him."

She stared at the doors for several long minutes until a voice interrupted her. "Here," Melanie shoved a gown at her. "You're covered in blood."

Stephanie looked at her unable to speak.

"You're grossing everyone out," Melanie said. "Put it on!"

Stephanie wiped at her eyes. "Gabe--"

"He was shot," Melanie said. "Because of you."

Stephanie nodded.

"I'm supposed to check you over," Melanie said. "Come on."

"I'm fine," Stephanie shook her head. "Blake...Blake and Gabe."

"I was asked to check you over," Melanie said impatiently.

Stephanie reluctantly followed the other woman to an examination room. Stephanie took off her shirt and put on the gown.

"I can't believe this," Melanie muttered as she inspected Stephanie's arms and legs.

"His grandparents and his father," Stephanie said as a fresh set of tears welled up in her eyes. "I need to tell them..."

"You think they're going to want you around Gabriel after this?" Melanie asked, finishing her inspection.

A nurse came behind the curtain and whispered something to Melanie. Melanie looked disdainfully at Stephanie. "The police want to talk to you."

"Of course" Stephanie nodded.

While the policeman took Stephanie's statement, Melanie stepped outside. She saw Gabriel's grandparents just arriving. "Mr. and Mrs Boyd!" She called out to them.

His grandmother hurried over. "What's happened?"

"He was shot," Melanie said gently. "He's in surgery right now."

Margaret gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth. "How bad is it?" Lewis asked her.

"They're doing everything they can," Melanie assured her. "Why don't you have a seat?"

"Will my grandson be all right?" Margaret asked.

"I'll ask if there's any word," Melanie said turning and walking away. She hid her smile. She was going to look like the supportive, caring girlfriend while that nothing waitress would hold the blame.


She went over to the desk and was interrupted by a loud voice. "WHERE'S MY SON?" Seamus roared. "Where is he?"

Melanie turned around and saw Gabriel's father and stepmother.

"He's in surgery," she told them. "I'm going to get an update for you and his grandparents right now."

Lavender put her hand on Seamus' shoulder.

"He was shot in the stomach," Melanie told them. "And Blake, his friend, was shot in the upper arm."

Lavender gasped. "Oh!"

"Who did this?" Seamus asked.

"Tony, his friend Stephanie's ex-boyfriend," Melanie said with disgust.

"I see," Seamus said coldly.

"Lavender!" Margaret called out, enveloping the younger woman in a hug. "I'm so scared!"

"I'm sure he'll be all right," Lavender tried to reassure the other woman. "Was Stephanie hurt?"

"I don't know," Margaret said. "That poor girl..."

Melanie heard this and pressed her lips together in anger.

Seamus looked at the nurse behind the desk. "I want to know how my son is. Now."

"We're checking on that, sir," the nurse said, clearly intimidated. "He's in surgery as we speak with one of the finest surgeons in this city."

Lavender knew Seamus well enough to know when he was going to blow up and again, she put a hand on his shoulder. "Thank you. We'll be waiting over there," she told the nurse. "Please let us know whenever you hear."

"Of course," the nurse nodded. At that moment, Stephanie came uncertainly into the waiting room. She still wore the hospital gown but she'd put her skirt back on.

"Stephanie," Margaret called out when she spotted her.

She made her way timidly over to them and felt tears in her eyes when Lavender hugged her tightly.
"Are you all right, love?" Lavender asked.

"It's my fault," Stephanie said burying her face in Lavender's shoulder. "It's my fault he's hurt..."

"No it's not," Lavender soothed her. "Not at all."

Stephanie pulled away to look at her. "Have you heard anything?"

"Not yet, other than he's in surgery," Lavender told her. "Seamus will find out, don't worry.'

Seamus was pacing, unable to sit down. His only child was upstairs in surgery.

"Come on," Lavender said. "Let's go get some coffee for everyone."

Seamus shook his head. "I don't want coffee, Lav. I want to know how my son is."

"I know but you're about to lose it," Lavender said. "I need to get you out of here for a minute."

Seamus relented and followed his wife.

"I want to find that piece of shit," Seamus said in the elevator. "And I want to kill him."

"I know," Lavender said gently. "I do too."

"I can't believe this," Seamus muttered.

"He's going to be fine," Lavender said. "He's strong just like his father."

Seamus didn't answer, just stared at the lights as they changed floors.

Last weekend, Gabriel had called about grabbing lunch with his father, but Seamus had to turn him down because of a casting.

"I should have made time for him," Seamus said, trying not to choke up. "I shouldn't have put work before him."

Lavender put her arms around him. "Seamus, you weren't to know this would happen."
"It doesn't matter," Seamus said.

"And we'll make sure the bastard that did this is held accountable," Lavender said fiercely.

"I want to kill him," Seamus said darkly.

Lavender had never seen her husband like this.

Seamus didn't say anything as they got several cups of coffee and a few bagels from the cafeteria. Back upstairs, Margaret sipped the hot beverage gratefully.

Lewis put his arm around his wife. You could see the worry on his face, but he was trying to hold it together for everyone else.

Stephanie couldn't do anything but pace. Nothing else in the world mattered to her right now but Gabriel and whether or not he was all right.

She had gone over what happened in her head over and over again. What if she hadn't taken him outside? What if she had just walked away?

She let out a choked sob, covering her mouth with her hand as tears welled up in her eyes.

Lavender came up behind her. "I was going to ask how you were holding up, but I can see not very well."

"I can't stop thinking that this is my fault," Stephanie managed. "What I could have done differently."

"How is it your fault?" Lavender asked gently.

"I brought him out there," Stephanie was distraught. "If we hadn't gone outside, if Tony hadn't seen us--"

Lavender shook her head. "This was not your fault. You didn't pull that trigger, Stephanie. No one here blames you for what happened. I think you know that."

"Really?" she asked in a small voice.

"Doctor Barbie over there must be trying to fill your head with rubbish," Lavender said glaring over to the front desk where Melanie was standing.

"She wasn't very kind when she checked me over," Stephanie murmured.

"She reminds me of a redhead I used to know," Lavender said rolling her eyes.

Stephanie looked up at her in confusion. "What?"

"Long story," Lavender said. "But, as I was saying no one here blames you for what happened and I know for a fact Gabe doesn't. I've known him for awhile now and I can tell you that I have never seen him as happy as I have these last few months with you."

Stephanie managed a thin smile. "I'm glad to hear that. He's really an amazing guy."

"He is," Lavender said, her voice breaking a little. She was trying hard to keep her own emotions in check but the thought of losing a boy she had come to love like her own son scared her. The next few hours passed by slowly. Seamus could barely sit still. He hated the not knowing. His son's fate was out of his hands and Seamus hated that. Finally, the surgeon came out, his face unreadable. "Mr. Finnigan?"

"How's my son?" Seamus demanded. "Is he all right? I want to see him."

"We were able to remove the bullet," the surgeon replied. "Your son lost a lot of blood and it was touch and go for awhile. But, the surgery went well and he's resting now."

"Will he be all right?" Stephanie asked, trying to keep her voice from being too shrill.

The doctor folded his arms. "The next twenty-four hours are critical but I'm quite optimistic."

"Thank you," Seamus said gratefully. "When can we see him?"

"The nurse can show you back, Mr. Finnigan," the doctor said. "One visitor at a time."

"Thanks," Seamus said, striding towards the doors.

Gabriel was still in the recovery room and the nurse said that Gabriel had not come out of the anaesthesia yet. Seamus stood back and looked at his son.

His face was still pale, but not as white as it had been earlier. Seamus touched his hand, and was glad to feel it was warm.

Seamus sat down and listened to the various machines that pinged and beeped.

A few minutes passed and Seamus looked over at Gabriel as he began to stir. "Steph?" Gabriel asked weakly.

"Gabe?" Seamus asked. "It's Dad."

Gabriel's eyes focused for a moment. "Hi..."

"Stephanie's fine," Seamus reassured him. "She's outside waiting with your grandparents and Lavender."

"She... wasn't hurt?" Gabriel managed to ask.

Seamus shook his head. "She's fine. Your friend Blake is too. The bullet just grazed his arm."

"Okay," Gabriel tried to nod but it was hard for him to move.

"Take it easy," Seamus cautioned.

"I know," Gabriel said. "I study this, remember?"

"I like it better when you're the doctor and not the patient," Seamus said with a grin.

"Me too," Gabriel admitted.

"Do you want to see Stephanie?" Seamus asked.

"Yeah," Gabriel said. "Just so I can make sure... I want her to know--"

Seamus nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks," he said gratefully.

A few moments later, Stephanie stepped uncertainly into the room.

"Hey," Gabriel said his voice a bit hoarse.

"I'm so sorry," Stephanie whispered. "Oh, Gabe..."

"Come here," Gabriel said.

Stephanie sat down and reached for his hand.

"Wasn't your fault," he told her.

Stephanie leaned in and Gabriel lifted his hand to touch her cheek.

"Glad you're all right," he told her softly

Stephanie pressed her cheek to his palm. "Ditto."

"Love you," Gabriel said drowsily.

"Love you," Stephanie whispered squeezing his hand.

"Stay here?" he asked her.

Stephanie nodded. "I'm not going anywhere."

Gabriel smiled again and then his eyes drooped closed.

Stephanie leaned over him and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

She sat with him for a few more minutes before heading back to the waiting room to see his parents and grandparents.

"He's sleeping," Stephanie announced wiping at her eyes.

"He's going to be all right, and that's what is best," Lavender put an arm around her. "Why don't we take you back to your place so you can rest?"

Stephanie nodded. She was exhausted. "I'd like that."

"We'll give you a call when he wakes up again," Seamus promised.

Stephanie looked at him. "Thanks, Mr. Finnigan."

Lewis and Margaret took their turns peeking in on their grandson and then Stephanie followed them to their car. The drive home was relatively quiet.

"Do you want me to sit with you until you go to sleep, dear?" Margaret asked. "I can't imagine you want to be alone."

"You don't have to," Stephanie said softly.

"I don't mind," Margaret said.

Lewis looked at the younger girl. "No use fighting, Stephanie. Maggie likes to hover."

Stephanie smiled. "That would be really nice. Thank you."

"Of course," Margaret said following her upstairs. "

"My place really isn't much," Stephanie said, glad she'd straightened the place up before she'd left for work that day.

"It's very nice," Margaret said. "You should have seen the first place Lew and I lived in right after we were married. A tin of sardines had more room."

Stephanie smiled. "I'm sure it was perfect for you both."

"Just as this place is perfect for you," Margaret said.

"I'm sorry I haven't had you by before now," Stephanie disappeared into her closet to change. "After everything you and Lewis did for me..."

"We were happy to do it," Margaret said. "And I've missed having you around, sweetheart. Evened things out. Do you know how hard it is to live with those two men all these years?"

Stephanie laughed. "I'm sure it wasn't easy, but Gabriel told me he's loved having you two around."

Margaret smiled. "He's my only grandchild."

Stephanie smiled wistfully. "I wish I could have met his mother. He told me that she and I would have really gotten along."

Stephanie got into bed and pulled the covers around her. Margaret smiled at the memory of her daughter. "Samantha would have loved you because you made her son so happy."

"That's what Seamus told me," Stephanie said softly.

Margaret sat down and smiled sympathetically at the younger woman.

Stephanie looked up at the older woman and suddenly found herself in tears again.

"What is it, love?" Margaret asked, concerned.

"He almost died," Stephanie sobbed. "I almost lost him today..."

Margaret moved over to the edge of the bed and hugged the girl tightly. "I know," Margaret said softly. "But he's going to be fine."

"I'm still scared," Stephanie said, shivering. "That Tony will somehow get out and come after us again."

Margaret patted her back. "I don't think that will happen. Not after what he did."

"I can't believe he tried to kill Gabe," Stephanie whimpered.

Margaret smoothed Stephanie's hair. She too started to cry as she thought about what she nearly lost today.

"I'm sorry," Stephanie apologised when she saw the older woman's tears. "I'm just thinking about myself and not about you or anyone else."

"It's okay," Margaret reassured her. "You are one the most selfless people I've ever met."

"Thank you," Stephanie wiped her eyes. "I feel so lucky to have you all in my life."

"We're here for you," Margaret said.

"Thanks," Stephanie said softly before drifting off.

Margaret watched her for a moment. What a trying day this had been for all of them. She knew that they had a long road ahead of them. But, the most important thing was that her grandson was alive. He had survived. Now, he and the woman he loved had to find a way to heal the damage that Tony had done.

*** *** ***

At Hogwarts, Katie Malfoy was surreptitiously looking at the latest Witch Weekly in the library. She was supposed to be studying for a Potions exam, but her heart just wasn't in it.

Caroline laughed. "Katie, I don't think knowing which dress robes flatter your figure are going to help you on that exam."

"At least I could look good taking it," Katie reluctantly put it aside.

"Anything else interesting in there?" Caroline asked reaching for a quill.

"Not really," Katie said. "But I am ordering those robes later."

Caroline smiled. "Need any help?"

Katie laughed. "Always!"

Caroline grabbed Katie's textbook and looked at the study questions. "Okay...let's see...love potions...that's right up your alley, Miss Malfoy."

"Hello," Katie tossed her hair. "I don't need a love potion."

"Only teasing," Caroline said with a grin.

Katie slipped a hand in her bag and drew out Kevin's latest letter. His words still thrilled her as she read them over and over again.

She was going to read his latest letter once more but spotted Bradley coming into the library. Hastily, she stuffed it back into her bag.

"Hey," Bradley sent her a grin as he gave her a kiss. "Miss me?"

"Always," Katie replied smiling at him.

Caroline blushed as he turned and grinned at her. "Where's there's a Katie there's a Caroline..."

"Like two peas in a pod," Katie said. "That's why my dad used to say about us."

"What are you studying?" he asked, pulling up a chair close to hers.

Katie grimaced. "Potions."

"Hey at least Snape likes you," Bradley told her.

Katie nudged him. "You get top marks though."

"Cause I study my arse off," he replied.

Caroline stood up. "I'll be right back. I need to go grab a book."

Bradley watched her go. "She seems a little quiet tonight.

Katie shrugged. "She's preoccupied."

"Oh," Bradley replied. "Hey- do you have any parchment I can borrow?"

Katie nodded and stood up. "I'm going to go borrow Lindsey's notes. You can grab whatever you need out of my bag."

"Thanks," he grinned at her. "Hurry back."

Katie pecked him on the cheek before hurrying across the library.

Bradley reached into her bag and felt around for some spare parchment. His fingers closed around a folded piece and he drew it out.

"Katie," he read. "I'm sitting here in Vienna looking up at the moon and found myself wondering if you might be somewhere looking at it too. This is crazy isn't it? Feeling this way about you after all that's happened." He stared at the words for a few moments before looking at the signature at the bottom. "Kevin?" he wondered.

The only Kevin he knew of was Ashley Malfoy's ex-boyfriend. But, that was crazy. Why would Ashley's ex-boyfriend be writing to Katie?

Caroline chose that moment to return to the table and he held up the letter. "What is this?"

"Someone's letter?" Caroline guessed, taking her seat.

"Why is Kevin writing to Katie?" he asked her directly. "What's going on between them?"

"I, um," Caroline stammered.

"You knew about this?" he asked her.

Katie came back over and slid back into her chair. "What's with the serious faces?" she asked looking back and forth between her boyfriend and best friend.

"What the hell is this?" Bradley asked tossing the letter in front of her.

Katie glared at him. "You read my letter?"

"Don't change the subject," he told her. "Are you seeing this bloke?"

Katie rolled her eyes. "He's in another country, Bradley. Of course I'm not seeing him!"

"Then what the hell is this rubbish about looking at the moon?" Bradley asked. "And where he talks about other letters?"

Caroline hastily grabbed her things. "I'm going to go..."

"No," Bradley said. "I'm going to go. I can't believe you knew about this but never told me."

"Bradley," Caroline tried to explain. "I didn't---"

"I'm out of here," he said, grabbing his things and stalking out.

Katie glared at Caroline. "Thanks. Thanks a lot."

"What did you want me to do?" Caroline asked, gathering her things.

"Take up for me!" Katie asked pocketing her letter.

"I didn't even know what was going on," Caroline said. "Kevin has feelings for you?"

Katie nodded. "We've been writing for months. He's---he's amazing, Caroline."

Caroline stared at her in disbelief. "Katie... you HAVE a boyfriend.'

Katie bit her bottom lip. "I know! I just---"

Caroline shook her head. "You shouldn't have played both of them, Katie."

"I wasn't playing them!" Katie protested.

"I have to go," Caroline said.

"Caroline!" Katie called after her.

Caroline left the library and rushed down the corridor, looking for Bradley. She wanted to make sure he knew that she hadn't been in on Katie's game.

She found him in the Owlery. Caroline set her bag down and shivered as a gust of wind hit her. "Bradley?" she asked gently.

"What?" he asked angrily. "Did she send you up here?"

Caroline shook her head. "No. I left her in the library."

Bradley shook his head. "If you're up here to--"

"I'm up here to see how YOU are," Caroline interjected. "And to let you know that I only knew they had written to each other a couple of times. That's all."

Bradley glanced at her. "You're telling me the truth?"

Caroline nodded.

Bradley sighed. "What's wrong that she's not happy with me?"

"I don't know," Caroline said sitting down on one of the benches.

"Probably because he's famous," Bradley rolled his eyes. He sat down beside her and put his head in his hands.

Caroline sighed. "I'm really sorry," she said. "If I had known...." she stopped. "Well... I honestly don't know what I would have done. But you don't deserve this."

Bradley sighed. "I feel like such an idiot."

"You didn't know," Caroline tried to reassure her.

"Yeah, obviously," Bradley said.

Caroline felt at a loss. She had no idea what to say to him right now.

He noticed that she was shivering and he offered her his cloak.

"Thanks," she said as he wrapped it around her.

"You really didn't know?" Bradley asked.

"I swear," Caroline shook her head. "I don't like cheaters."

"Me either," Bradley said.

"She was pretty angry with me when I left," Caroline said quietly. "She'd probably be even angrier if she knew I came after you."

Bradley smiled. "Why did you come after me?"

"You're my friend," Caroline said truthfully. "And I was worried about you.'

"You want to hear something crazy?" Bradley asked.

"Okay," she replied.

"Last summer in Brighton," Bradley said. "It wasn't Katie that I fancied."

"What?" Caroline asked.

Bradley looked wistfully at her. "You. I fancied you."