Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This is a long chapter! You get to see what Gabriel has been up to and more with Harry/Hermione as a special someone comes home for a visit! Please read and review!

Gabriel and Melanie had a rare night off and he had suggested going bowling with a few of their fellow interns. It had been a fun evening and Gabriel had liked the idea of letting loose and not thinking about the hospital or studying for one night at least. That was not to say that the group did not bring up the hospital or their classes. In fact, that made up the majority of their conversations.


"And I can't wait until my first surgery," Melanie was saying. "One of these days, Dr. Johnson is going to ask me to scrub in. Mark my words."

"Maybe to remove the stick from his ass," Gabriel joked.

The group laughed and so did Melanie, although it seemed a bit forced.

"I'll go and get us something to eat from the bar," Gabriel offered. "Mel, what did you want?"

Melanie wrinkled her nose. "Don't they have anything that isn't coated in grease?"

"I'll see," Gabriel said. "I'll be back."

His friend Blake joined him in the line. "Is Mel okay?"

Gabriel shrugged. "I suppose. Why?"

"She just seems upset," Blake replied.

Gabriel had noticed something off about her lately, too. On paper, she was a great girlfriend. She was pretty, funny and intelligent. But she seemed to be unsettled lately and on edge. He had chalked it up to nerves and their heavy workload.

"Well, you'd better find something low-fat, low-carb for her," Blake joked. "But as for me, I'm going for the double cheeseburger."

"Who'd have ever wished for a salad in a bowling alley?" Gabriel asked with a sigh. "I guess the pizza is the best thing."

Gabriel looked to his left and saw a familiar face. Tony, Stephanie's boyfriend, was flirting with the girl behind the counter.

Gabriel narrowed his eyes. "Jerk," he muttered under his breath.

Where there was a Tony there had to be a Stephanie and Gabriel looked to his right and saw her sitting at the far end of the bowling alley with another girl and guy.

"Tell Mel I'll be back in a few minutes," Gabriel said to Blake. "I see a friend of mine."

Gabriel headed purposely in Stephanie's direction. "Hey," he said to her with a smile.

Stephanie looked at him in surprise. She started to smile, but thought better of it. The couple they were with were friends of Tony's.

"How's it going?" he asked. "I haven't been at the diner lately--"

"You're up, Steph," the other girl said.

"Right," she said, giving Gabriel a small smile. He watched her for a moment, realising how much he had missed seeing her these last few weeks. "Um... can I talk to you later?" Stephanie asked nervously.

Gabriel nodded. "We're---we're at the other end."

"Okay," she replied. "Um... have fun."

"You too," Gabriel said. He gave her one last glance before heading back to the snack bar where Tony was still hitting on the girl behind the counter. Gabriel shook his head in disbelief. The other waitress took his order and Gabriel couldn't help overhearing Tony's conversation.

"My shift's over," the girl was telling him. "Do you think you could take me home?"

Tony smiled. "I think that can be arranged."

"Don't you have a girlfriend over there?" Gabriel couldn't resist asking.

The smile on Tony's face turned to a sneer. He glared at Gabriel. "You."

"Yeah," Gabriel said shortly.

"Not that it's any of your business, but Stephanie and I have an understanding," Tony said rounding on him.

"Sure you do," Gabriel didn't back down. "You do what you want, and when she speaks up you hit her."

Tony grabbed him by the collar. "That what she told you?"

"That's what I SAW," Gabriel retorted.

"Stephanie belongs to me," Tony growled. "She's MINE."

"She's not a possession," Gabriel went to push him away.

Blake came over with Melanie. "There a problem here?" Blake asked.

"There will be if this asshole doesn't get out of my face," Tony said, letting Gabriel go.

"There will be if you lay one hand on her again," Gabriel warned.

"You don't fucking tell me--" Tony began.

Stephanie and her two friends ran over to see what was going on and Stephanie quickly put herself in between the two men. "Tony, calm down," she pleaded.

"You tell your friend to get away from me," Tony said, glaring at her.

Stephanie looked at Gabriel and he could see the fear in her eyes. He imagined in her eyes he had made this a thousand times worse for her. But, he knew she was smarter than this. Why was she staying with someone who treated her like this? "Gabe please," she said. "Just go."

"Yeah," Melanie said looking at her boyfriend. "This doesn't concern us. Let's go back to our game."

"Steph?" Gabriel asked. He touched her arm which set Tony off. Before anyone knew what was happening, Tony shoved Stephanie out of the way and punched Gabriel in the eye.

"Tony!" Stephanie tried to grab for him. "What is wrong with you?"

Tony glared at her. "You're lucky it wasn't you, you little tramp," he said in a low voice.

"What's going on here?" a security guard asked. "Why did you punch him?" Tony did not answer and watched menacingly as Gabriel got to his feet.

"You," the guard pointed to Tony. "Out of here."

Tony looked at Stephanie. "Come on. Let's go."

Stephanie was afraid. She knew what would be waiting for her when they got home and she hesitated. Gabriel, who was being tended to by Melanie, walked over to her. "Steph, you don't have to go with him." She gazed at him uncertainly.

"You don't come with me now, you know what will happen," Tony warned her.

"It's not our problem," Melanie said in Gabriel's ear. "Come on, you need to ice that eye."

Tony grabbed Stephanie by the arm. The security guard went after him. "What part of get out of here did you not understand? Well, seeing as you won't listen to me, perhaps you'll listen to a cop."

Tony let her go but pushed past her. "Bitch," he muttered. "You're going to get it when you get home."

Tony and his two friends left the bowling alley and Stephanie put her head in her hands.

"Hey," Gabriel said. "Why don't you come back to my place tonight?"

"What?" Both Melanie and Stephanie asked at the same time.

"My grandparents are out of town," Gabriel said. "And I don't think you need to be alone and I'm not going to let you go back to your place, Steph."

"I uh..." Stephanie glanced uneasily at Melanie, who was giving her a dirty look.

Melanie glared at her. "Would you mind giving us a second?"

Gabriel stumbled a bit as he grabbed the bag of ice that Blake brought over to him. "What's wrong, Mel?"

"What's wrong?" she asked taken aback. "What's wrong you ask? Are you serious right now?"

"She needs a place to stay tonight," Gabriel replied.

"Why does it have to be with you?" Melanie asked angrily. "Doesn't she have any friends or family?"

"No," Gabriel said. "She doesn't."

Melanie rolled her eyes. "That's just great. That's just fantastic. Why don't you give me a call when you're done playing hero." Gabriel watched as Melanie stomped out of the bowling alley.

Stephanie walked slowly over to him. "I'm so sorry, Gabe. I've ruined everything."

"No you haven't," he said. "Come on."

Stephanie was silent as she walked back over to where she'd been sitting. She took off her rental shoes and changed into her sneakers. She could only imagine what Tony was plotting at this very moment. There would be hell to pay when she saw him again. But, she was tired of being his punching bag---emotionally and physically.

"I'm sorry," she said again when Gabriel came up next to her. "My life is such a mess and I've dragged you into it."

"You don't have to apologize," Gabriel reassured her. "But, there is something you could do to make it up to me."

"What's that?" she asked nervously.

Gabriel reached into his pocket and handed her his car keys. "Drive? With this shiner, I don't think I'll be able to."

"Oh..." she managed. "Sure."

Gabriel smiled at her. "Come on then."

She silently followed him out to his car. She half expected Tony to jump out of the shadows but it was quiet in the parking lot. "How's your eye?" she asked him.

"Hurts," he admitted. "But I'll be all right."

"Frozen peas helps the best," Stephanie said as she slid into the driver seat. "I don't even like peas, but I keep a bag of them in the freezer just---just in case."

"I think we have some at my house," Gabriel gave her a sidelong glance as they got into the car.

Stephanie started the car. "This is a nice car," she said eager to talk about something else.

"Yeah," Gabriel nodded. "My dad got it for me a few years ago."

"How is your father?" Stephanie asked conversationally.

"He's fine," Gabriel answered. "Busy, as always. Same with Lav."

"And you," Stephanie said softly. "Um---right or left turn here?"

"Right," Gabriel told her.

Stephanie made the turn and they continued on in silence. Gabriel stole a glance at her with his good eye. Even worried, she was a pretty girl. He liked her a lot and had missed seeing her. "Um, right turn at the light," Gabriel said.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly, taking a quick turn. "I've always wondered what your house looks like."

"You have?" he asked grinning at her.

She blushed. "Just curious."

"It's not much, but it's home," Gabriel said.

"I'm surprised haven't got your own place," Stephanie said.

"I've thought about it," Gabriel said thoughtfully. "But money's tight these days. I'm saving up."

"That's a good idea," she replied as he motioned for her to go left.

"What about you?" he asked.

"I still dream of having my own restaurant," she said.

"You'll make it happen," Gabriel told her.

She smiled at him. "You think so? Really?"

"Absolutely," Gabriel said smiling back at her.

"Tony always pokes fun at me," she said.

Gabriel just bet he did. He felt a surge of anger toward the other man. "Second house on the left, Steph."

"Oh okay," she said, pulling into the driveway. "It's a nice house, Gabe."

"Thanks," Gabriel said as she parked the car. "My grandparents aren't home. They're visiting relatives in Portland."

"So it's nice and quiet for you," she said. "And then I come barging in..."

He turned to face her. "Steph, you're not barging in. You're invited. Come on. I bet you're hungry. I know I am and there's a bag of peas in there with my name on it."

She had to smile again as she followed him into the back of the house.

Gabriel turned on the lights. "Casa de Boyd."

"I can see you growing up here," she looked around. Gabriel walked into the kitchen, but Stephanie lingered at the fireplace. She smiled when she saw the photographs on the mantle. "You were so cute!" she called out seeing the photo of Gabriel in his baseball uniform.

Gabriel came up behind her. "Were?" he teased.

Stephanie blushed deeply. "Still are," she murmured.

"Even with the black eye?" Gabriel asked removing the ice pack.

"You're just teasing me now," she said, her face still pink. She reached up and touched the side of his face. "I'm sorry, Gabe."

"Not your fault," he told her.

"It is," Stephanie said softly.

"Hardly," he said, his hand covering hers. Tears welled up in Stephanie's eyes.

"You're safe here," he promised her.

"I haven't felt that way in a long time," Stephanie said.

"You don't have to feel in danger," he said. "You can leave him, Steph."

"I don't know if I can," Stephanie said pulling her hand away.

"Why?" he asked. "I can help you. So can my dad."

"He was there for me when I had no one," Stephanie said quietly.

"How?" Gabriel asked.

Stephanie sat down on the sofa, unsure of where to begin. "Well, I told you about how my mother kicked me out and I came here. He was the first person I met and he took me in."

"But that doesn't give him the right to hit you," Gabriel insisted.

"He says I provoke him," Stephanie said. "He said that if I would just listen and do things his way, that none of this would happen. But, it changes every day. What's right on one day is wrong the next and I can't keep up."

"You deserve better than that," Gabriel replied. "So much better..."

"I do?" Stephanie asked him.

"Yeah," he nodded. He reached over and gave her hand a squeeze.

"You said you were hungry, right?" she asked. "I'll make you something..."

"You don't have to do that," Gabriel started to protest.

"I'm good at it," Stephanie forced a smile. "Good practice for when I open my restaurant right?"

"Okay," Gabriel said, smiling back at her.

"What'll it be tonight?" she asked as he led her back into the kitchen.

"Anything's fine," Gabriel told her.

Stephanie studied the contents of the refrigerator. "Denver omelette?"

"Sure," Gabriel replied, sitting down and putting the ice back on his eye.

"Twenty minutes on, twenty minutes off," Stephanie said without thinking.

Gabriel looked over at her, but she was busy preparing their food. Of course she would know the proper way to treat a black eye. How many of those had she received courtesy of Tony? He watched her expertly move around the kitchen. What a jerk this guy Tony was to have a great girl and not treat her right.

"We should talk to the cops about getting a restraining order," Gabriel said thoughtfully.

"What?" she asked, so startled she dropped the spatula.

"A restraining order against Tony," Gabriel said.

"I didn't say I wanted to do that," she said quickly.

"You need to protect yourself," Gabriel said. "This way if he comes anywhere near you, he can get arrested."

"Gabe--" she started to protest.

"I'll help you," Gabriel told her. "Every step of the way."

Stephanie closed her eyes and rubbed at her forehead. "Why do you care so much?"

"You're my… my friend," Gabriel said truthfully. "And friends look out for each other."

"I just... I can't." Stephanie turned back to the skillet.

"You can't live like this, Steph," Gabriel said.

"And I don't need anyone else telling me how to live," she said.

Gabriel sighed. He supposed he should back off, but he did not want to let this go. "How about we just take this one day at a time?" he asked instead.

"Leaving Tony would be a huge change for me," she said softly. "If you want to help me, you'll have to be patient."

"I can do that," Gabriel said smiling at her.

"Thank you," she said gratefully. This was a huge step for her and he did not want to do anything to jeopardise the progress she had made tonight.

"That smells great," he said instead.

"It will be the best one you've ever had," Stephanie promised.

"That I don't doubt," he said. "How about some juice, or water?"

"Juice would be great," Stephanie said.

"I'll get that," Gabriel replied. "I also set a mean table."

"Hidden talent I did not know about," Stephanie joked.

"One of my many talents," he said with a grin. "Believe it or not, I can cook too."

"Really?" Stephanie asked.

"Not a whole lot," he said. "But if I follow a recipe it's usually pretty good."

Stephanie smiled as she plated their food. "Maybe someday I'll get to see for myself."

"Anytime," he told her.

Stephanie set the plate before him. "Do you think you and Melanie will be okay?"

Gabriel shrugged. "Probably. She's been a bit strange lately- probably just school."

"And I'm sure tonight didn't help," Stephanie said sitting down with her own plate. "I'm sorry."

"If she can't accept that you and I are friends then I can't be with her," he said.

Stephanie shook her head. "I don't want to make things difficult for you, Gabe."

"You aren't," he shook his head. "I already told you that."

Stephanie smiled. "I guess that all I can say is 'thank you'. You did not have to do this, but I'm glad you did."

Gabriel smiled back at her. "If you ever need anything, you know you can come to me."

Stephanie blushed. "Thank you."

"Come on, let's eat," he said.

Stephanie watched happily as Gabriel took a bite of the omelette. She wanted to do something nice for him after all that he had done for her. She couldn't help thinking that this would be what it would be like to genuinely be with him.

"This is so good," Gabriel said, taking another huge bite. "Best one I've ever had, Steph."

"Told you it would be," Stephanie said.

He grinned at her. "You do have me beat in the kitchen."

Stephanie was not used to getting compliments and she beamed at his praise.

"You could probably compete with my grandmother." he added.

"Well, you must have gotten it honest then," Stephanie said, remembering him telling her how great a cook his mother was as well. "And they must be so proud of you. Wanting to be a doctor and all."

Gabriel nodded. "I was always interested in medicine but it wasn't until my mom got sick that I knew this was what I wanted to do."

"You're going to be a great doctor," Stephanie said. "You already are." She held up her wrist.

"Glad to hear that's doing better," he told her.

"Thanks to you," Stephanie said. "I don't normally go to the hospital after he does these things, but the pain was so bad."

"It was broken," Gabriel said. "Of course it hurt."

"I never thought I would be one of those girls, you know?" Stephanie said setting her fork aside. "I always said that if someone ever laid a finger on me, I'd be done. The first time he did it, he felt so terrible afterwards. And I took him back. I should have run, but I was scared and he knew that and took advantage of it."

Gabriel shook his head. "I'd never do that. It's unacceptable."

Stephanie started to cry and Gabriel quickly stood up and walked around the table. He gathered her up in his arms and hugged her tightly.

"I hate him so much sometimes," she sobbed.

Gabriel ran his hands through her hair in a comforting fashion. "I know, Steph. I know."

Stephanie closed her eyes and for a brief moment, allowed herself to enjoy being in his embrace. Gabriel pulled away for a moment to look at her and he brushed a tear from her cheek. Without thinking, he felt himself leaning in. Stephanie caught her breath and her eyes fluttered closed.

Gabriel brushed his lips lightly against hers. Her whole body trembled at his gentle touch and Stephanie leaned into his kiss.

He had not realised how long he had wanted to do this until he had her in his arms. It felt right. She barely realised that he had pulled her to her feet and was leading her into the living room to a sofa.

"Steph," Gabriel whispered bringing her down to the sofa.

Stephanie couldn't bring herself to say anything. Instead they kissed again. She had dreamt about what this would be like and her dreams did not come anywhere close to the real thing. They lay back on the sofa and Gabriel gently ran his hands up over her back. Stephanie arched against him as he trailed kisses down her neck.

"Gabe," she murmured. "That's amazing..."

"You're amazing," he said against her skin.

"I am?" she asked.

Gabriel looked down at her. "So amazing."

"I... I don't hear that very often," she said, her eyes skipping away.

Gabriel touched her cheek. "You should. You should hear it every day."

"He would never do that," Stephanie replied.

"He's a fool," Gabriel said kissing her once again.

Stephanie pushed thoughts of Tony out of her head. Perhaps Gabriel was right. She could do better.

Gabriel wrapped his arms around her and she rested her head on his chest. He wanted her, but he did not want to push her into something she was not ready for.

"I feel safe right now," she said softly.

Gabriel kissed the top of her head. "I'm glad."

"Do you really mean it when you say I'm amazing?" she asked.

"You are," Gabriel said softly. "Inside and out. And you have this smile...that lights up the whole room. Makes me smile, too." Stephanie had never heard herself described in such a manner and she blushed. "You're smart and funny and you're an excellent cook," Gabriel continued. "And you're beautiful."

"I'm okay," she said.

"I realise I have a black eye, but my vision is normally spot on," Gabriel said poking her in the side. "And to me, you're beautiful."

"Thanks, Gabe." Stephanie said softly.

"Get some sleep, Steph," Gabriel said to her.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

Gabriel nodded. "I'll be right here."

Stephanie gave him another kiss. "Thanks again, Gabe."

"You're worth it, Steph," Gabriel said smiling at her.

Stephanie closed her eyes and within a few moments she was fast asleep. Gabriel did not fall asleep right away. He thought about the events of the night. He was going to convince her to file a restraining order against Tony. And... He would have to figure out what he wanted to do about Melanie.

*** *** ***

When Ashley had heard the news about her grandfather she was granted a three day holiday to go back home to see him. She knew she'd have a lot of work to catch up on when she got back but she didn't mind. She'd arrived home late the previous night and slept in a bit the next morning. Her grandfather was still at St. Mungos and was not in the best spirits. Ashley had never seen him like this and it broke her heart.

She got dressed and twisted her hair back into a ponytail before going downstairs where her mother had some tea and scones.

"I have to check in at Hogwarts," Julie said to her. "But I'll meet you at the hospital around lunch."

"Thanks Mum," Ashley said gratefully.

Julie smiled. "Thank you for coming home. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it means the world to your grandfather to have all of us around."

"I wouldn't have missed it," Ashley said, sipping her tea. "Grandpa would do it for me."

Julie gave her daughter's shoulder a squeeze. "I'll see you later, love."

Ashley sat back in the chair as she munched on her scone. She'd gotten an owl from Brittany expressing her sorrow over what had happened to Harry and she was going to see if she could get a day or two off to come home to be there for her.

Ashley picked up the Daily Prophet and rolled her eyes. They had been running "Potter Death Watch" stories from the moment they had discovered Harry Potter was in hospital.
She rolled her eyes as she read an article by Rita Skeeter talking about how the healers expected Harry to combust at any time. The doorbell chimed and Ashley set the paper aside and got to her feet. She opened the door and was floored to see Zander standing there.

"Hi," Zander said quietly.

"What are you doing here?" she asked in surprise.

"I heard about your grandfather," Zander said. "And Brittany said you were home and I, um, wanted to see how you were."

"I'm all right," Ashley stepped aside so he could come in.

Zander stepped inside. "How is your grandfather?"

"We aren't sure yet," Ashley replied. "He's alive, at least..."

Zander nodded and seemed to not know what to say.

Ashley took pity on him. "I was just having some breakfast, would you like to join me?" she asked.

"Sure," he nodded. "Did you have a lie in?"

"Yeah," Ashley replied. "I didn't get in until late."

He sat down as she got him a cup of tea. "How's your tour going?"

She did not have to ask how he liked his tea, she knew him so well. "It's great. I'm learning a lot and the people are really nice."

"Sounds great," he said honestly.

Ashley set a cup of tea before him. She hesitated a moment before sitting down. This was all so strange. She had not seen him since that day at the beach and that seemed like an eternity ago. It was bizarre to sit here with him like nothing had happened. "How's your internship going with the London Philharmonic?" Ashley asked. When he looked surprised that she knew, she smiled nervously. "Brit told me."

"Oh," he nodded. "It's great. I really love it."

Ashley struggled for something else to say. "And your mum and dad?"


"Good," he answered. "They were asking about you the other day."

Ashley smiled. "Tell them I said hello."

"I will," he nodded. "They miss you."

"I miss them too," Ashley said softly.

Zander sat back in his chair. "Ash... I'm hoping we can be friends again."

Ashley looked at him. "Friends?"

"Yeah," he answered.

Ashley met his gaze. She had missed his friendship, but she was not so certain that they could be just friends. The idea of watching him date other girls made her stomach hurt.

"I miss having you," he said. "To talk to, to write to..."

"You slammed the door in my face," Ashley reminded him. "You said some horrible things to me, Zander."

"I know," Zander scuffed his foot on the floor. She did not tell him that when she had heard about her grandfather, she had wanted to contact him. "I just had a lot of things wrong," Zander made excuse. "And I'm sorry."

"My grandparents had a big row the night before his accident," Ashley told him. "They both said some hateful things and my grandmother was beside herself thinking that the last words she had with him were..." Ashley's voice broke.

Zander moved into the chair next to hers. "That had to be rough... especially since he sort of well... died for a few minutes."

Ashley nodded, her lower lip trembling.

"Come here, Ash." he said, pulling her into his arms. Ashley buried her face in his shoulder and sobbed. "He's all right," Zander reassured her.

Ashley shook her head. "I've never seen him like this, Zander."

"But he's Harry Potter," Zander said. "He can do anything."

"That's what I've always thought too," Ashley said wiping at her eyes.

"He's going to be fine," Zander said again. "I know it." Ashley rested her head on his shoulder and Zander held her. "When are you going to the hospital to see him?" he asked after a few minutes.

"I was going to go after breakfast," Ashley said.

"Want some support?" Zander offered.

Ashley pulled away to look at him properly. "You'd do that?"

"Sure," he answered.

"I'd love that," Ashley replied truthfully.

"Good," Zander smiled at her. "How about I take you to lunch somewhere beforehand then?"

Ashley squeezed his hand. "That'd be great. I just---I need to freshen up a bit first."

"Sure," Zander replied. "I can wait."

Ashley stood up and walked out of the kitchen. Zander moved his teacup around the table in a pattern, thinking about her. Brittany had read him the riot act for what he had done but wouldn't say anything else to him now about Ashley unless it was to tell him what she was up to on her tour.

If it was even possible, Zander thought, she was even prettier than he remembered.

He wanted to go upstairs and tell her the truth about how he felt. What he'd really wanted to tell her that night she was standing in front of him at the door. He knew that she was not with Kevin now, which took him by surprise. He wondered if he should risk it and take a chance.

Ashley came back into the kitchen. "Sorry," she said softly.

"It's all right," he shrugged. "Um-- Ash--"

"Yes?" Ashley asked.

"Remember that--" he began.

He was interrupted by a barking Sophie. Ashley knelt down and picked up her dog. "What is it, baby?" she asked. "Hmmm?"

Zander sighed. "Maybe we should get going." He stood back and watched as she put Sophie away. Maybe that was a sign, he thought.

She turned and smiled at him. "Thanks again, Zander. This is really nice of you."

Zander smiled back. "It's what friends are for, right?"

"Always," Ashley said, tucking her arm in his.

"How's your mum coping with this?" Zander asked as they set off.

"Okay," Ashley said. "I mean, she told me she was a mess of course when they thought he was dead... but she's been trying to visit him in the hospital every day since."

"How about Katie?" Zander asked. "Must be tough on her being away at school..."

Ashley shrugged. "She's all right. Katie really just worries about herself."

"Some things haven't changed," Zander said.

"Not really," Ashley said dryly.

"So, how long are you in town?" Zander asked.

"Just a few more days," she replied.

Zander nodded. "Brit's going to try to get home, but she doesn't know if she can. She wanted me to come and see you." This was a lie. He had spoken to Brittany, but it was not because of his cousin that he was here.

"If she can... if not I understand," she said. "I'm glad she's busy."

"Me too," Zander said.

"Where do you want to go?" she asked him.

Zander nudged her. "Ladies' choice."

"The Leaky Cauldron is fine with me," Ashley said.

Zander smiled. The two of them had some great memories of that place.

"It always smells the same," Ashley said. "That amazing stew..."

"We can bring some to your grandfather," Zander suggested.

"I bet he'd like that," Ashley brightened.

"Has to be better than hospital food," Zander said.

"Ugh," Ashley wrinkled her nose. "That stuff is so gross."

Zander laughed. "Even Emma Weasley draws the line at that."

"I don't know," Ashley said as they took a booth. "I've seen her sneak bites off a hospital tray."

Zander laughed. "Well, this is the same little girl who nicked kibble from her dog, right?"

Ashley laughed too. "But she denies that to this day."

"Kind of like you and Brit and your wild night at that club," Zander remembered.

"The night that never happened," Ashley replied.

Zander nodded. "Yeah, that wasn't Ashley Malfoy dancing on that table..." Ashley's face turned bright red. A grin spread across Zander's face. "I'm glad I got to witness it for myself."

"You can just forget about it now," Ashley threw her coaster at him.

Zander laughed and deftly caught it. "Okay, okay. I'll just go and place our order. You want the usual?"

"Sure," Ashley nodded as she watched him go. She sat back and closed her eyes for a moment when a bright light popped in her face.

"The grief-stricken granddaughter drowns her sorrows in butterbeer," Rita Skeeter said sliding into Zander's empty seat.

"Go away!" Ashley frowned at her.

Rita's quill and pad scribbled furiously above the reporter's head. "How is your grandfather? Is it true that he is on his deathbed?"

"No!" Ashley exclaimed.

"You poor dear," Rita said shaking her head. "In denial."

"I have NOTHING to say to you," Ashley declared.

"Too emotional to talk," Rita said nodding sympathetically.

"What the hell is going on here?" Zander barked.

Rita looked at him as if he was the one interrupting. "And you are?"

"Her best friend," Zander grabbed the parchment and crumpled it up.

"You can't do that!" Rita protested.

"Just did," Zander tossed the parchment into the fireplace. "Now get out ofhere before I throw your quill in with it."

"Why you little---" Rita started to say.

"One more word and it goes," Zander held the wriggling quill and moved towards the fireplace.

"Fine!" Rita exclaimed holding out her hand. "I'll go."

Zander slapped the quill into her palm. "Go."

Rita huffed and stalked out of the pub with her photographer in tow.

"Thanks," Ashley said. "She kept trying to write all these fake things about me and how I feel."

Zander rolled his eyes. "Vulture. I'm sorry you had to deal with that." Ashley shrugged.

"I heard they put a restraining order out on her for St Mungos," Zander said. "I wouldn't put it past her to sneak in."

"She's a sick woman," Ashley shuddered.

"You okay?" Zander asked.

"Fine," she nodded. "Thanks for the drink."

Zander sat back down. Now was not the time to tell her how he felt. She was dealing with far too much. He felt a sinking feeling in his stomach that perhaps there would never be a good time. Maybe he and Ashley were just not meant to be together.

"How long before the food's out?" she asked.

"Five minutes," Zander replied.

"Great," Ashley said. "I know I just had a scone but I'm still hungry. And I can't wait to get to the hospital."

"We'll eat fast," Zander said.

Ashley smiled. "Thanks again. For everything. This helps a lot." That smile of hers got to him every single time, Zander thought. He had missed having her in his life. Things would never be like he wanted, but perhaps that was for the best. At least, he would keep telling himself that. Maybe one day, he would actually believe it.

"It's no problem," he assured her. "You know... I was thinking the other day about that last night of our first year."

"You were?" Ashley asked.

"The forest," he nodded. "That unicorn..."

Ashley smiled at the memory. "I know..."

"The look on Sam's face when he saw pictures of me from every hour..." Zander continued.

Ashley laughed. "Wiped that smug expression off his face. I wish we'd have taken pictures of it."

"I wonder what happened to him," Zander said. "Evan never really says anything about him."

Ashley shrugged. "I know. But, you know, I think he acted that way because he was jealous of you."

"Jealous of me?" he asked. "Really?"

"Of course," Ashley said. "You were smart, funny and you had friends. People like that have to put other people down to make themselves feel better."

"I guess you're right." he nodded.

The bloke behind the bar motioned for Zander, signalling their food was ready. Ashley grinned. "I am always right, Mr. Murray, don't you know that by now?"

"I learned that about all girls," he returned as he got up.

They enjoyed their lunch and the conversation that flowed easily between the two friends. They stayed far away from that last day in Brighton which was probably for the best.