Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: This is the next to last chapter! We can't believe it either but Last Dance will come to an end next week. Thank you guys for reading!

Hermione spent the last day of the Hillsdale holiday looking for her husband. She had awoken to an empty bed with a note from Harry promising to see her later.

She had hoped to spend their last day together. Tomorrow, they would be heading home to the cottage and she would go back to work. This holiday had done wonders for their marriage, but she could not shake the feeling that he was hiding something from her.

She took a long, hot shower then packed up their suitcases, leaving out the things they would need tomorrow.

Hermione grabbed a jumper and headed toward the restaurant, hoping that her children might have seen their father. Knowing Harry, he was probably eating breakfast with them at that moment. But, she wondered why he would let her lie in.

However, Harry was not in the restaurant and no one had seen any sign of him that morning. Saffron, Ethan and Julie reassured their mother that their father was okay, but Hermione could not help but worry. The three of them convinced her to spend the day at the lake with them. And though she enjoyed spending time with them, she kept holding out hope that Harry would show.

"We'll see you after dinner in the ballroom," Saffron promised her mother. "I'm looking forward to dancing with Andrew. He still remembers the steps you taught him."

"Though I haven't used them much since then," Andrew admitted sheepishly.

"And Daddy will dance with me," Ellie said.

"Of course he will," Saffron said. She looked to the side and saw Ethan talking with Luna. All day long he had this gleam in his eye whenever their mother would ask where their father was. He knew something and she was going to find out what. "Um, Andrew, why don't you and the kids walk Mum back to her cabin? I'll--I'll catch up in a bit."

"Okay," Andrew said, taking Edward from her.

Saffron headed over to Ethan and Luna and tried to overhear what her brother was saying.

"...and that should be it," Ethan was saying.

"What should be it?" Saffron asked casually.

Luna turned. "Saffron, hi. I was just leaving. I have to go and meet Drew and Darla at the gate."

Saffron brightened. "Are they here?"

"Your Uncle Ron and I are going to dance and the girls and Josh came in to see it," Luna said.

"How fun," Saffron said. "I can't wait to see!"

Luna gave Ethan a knowing look before making her exit. Ethan turned to go, but Saffron grabbed his arm. "Not so fast, Little Man."

"Maddie's waiting for me," Ethan said. "What's up?"

"You tell me," Saffron said, folding her arms and leveling her gaze at him. "What were you and Luna talking about?"

"Things," Ethan said vaguely.

Saffron sighed. "What sort of things?"

"You know," Ethan hedged. "This and that."

"Talking to you is like talking to a two-year old," Saffron seethed. "Now for the last time---"

Julie joined them. "Hey, what's going on?"

"Ethan's got a secret and he's going to tell me what it is right now," Saffron crossed her arms.

"I have no secrets," Ethan said turning away from her. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Ethan James get back here," Julie ordered. "What is going on?"

Ethan turned around. "Okay, you're sounding a bit too much like Mum right now, Jules. It's a bit scary."

"Well?" Julie asked. "You've been acting secretive for the last week."

"I have to have something since I can't tease Ariel here anymore," Ethan said with a cocky grin.

Saffron came forward and punched him hard in the shoulder. "Fancy a dip in the bloody lake again?"

"Ow!" Ethan winced, rubbing his shoulder. "Saffron!"

"Just tell us what's going on then," Saffron said. "Bloody hell."

"Is it something with Dad?" Julie asked. "Do you know where he is?"

"Not a clue, at the moment." Ethan replied truthfully.

Julie and Saffron looked at each other before looking back at him. Julie rolled her eyes. "You're about as bad as one of my students, Ethan. So you don't know where he is at the moment, but you know something..."

Ethan only shrugged. His father had wanted him to keep this a secret and this is what he would do.

Saffron groaned in frustration.

"Sorry," Ethan said. "All I can tell you both is to enjoy yourselves tonight."

He shot them another cocky grin before heading back toward his cabin. Saffron looked at Julie. "Do you have some Veritaserum on you?"

"I wish," Julie shook her head. "He is bloody stubborn."

"Like a mule!" Saffron exclaimed."I hate that he knows something I don't!"

Julie had to grin. "Especially since you don't?"

"Golden Boy," Saffron muttered.

"I should get back," Julie said, glancing at her watch. "Ashley bought a few wedding magazines in town. Merlin, I can't believe my daughter is engaged."

Saffron grinned, forgetting momentarily about Ethan. "I've never seen her this happy, Jules."

"Me either," Julie said. "Even Katie's excited about it. Of course, she's been floating on cloud nine since Kevin showed back up."

"And that's not awkward?" Saffron asked. "Kevin and Katie with Ashley and Zander?"

"They all seem to be handling it just fine," Julie shrugged. "I'm not going to rock the boat."

"That's probably the best idea," Saffron said. "I'll see you tonight then."

Julie smiled at her sister. "We'll have fun tonigt."

"The Potter sisters always do," Saffron said giggling.

Julie gave her a quick hug and headed in the direction of her cabin. She wanted to make sure Nick and the girls would be packed and ready to go the next morning

Julie found Zander and Ashley on the front steps of the cabin, snogging. She shook her head. They had been practically inseparable the moment they'd arrived at Hillsdale.

"Can I get in or do I have to scale a window in back?" Julie teased.

The couple broke apart and Ashley blushed.

"Sorry Mum," she said. "We just sort of... got caught up--"

Julie smiled. "No need to apologise. I was young once, too."

Ashley leaned against Zander as her mother went past them into the cabin. "I don't want to leave here," she said.

"Me either," Zander said putting his arms around her.

"Where will we go after this?" Ashley asked him. "I'm going to La Sorbonne in a few months. You're still apprenticeing at the Philharmonic."

"I don't know," Zander replied thoughtfully. "Any ideas?"

"I'll be there for three years at least," Ashley said. "And after that... I'm not sure. We could go anywhere."

"As long as we're together it doesn't matter to me," Zander said with a grin.

Ashley smiled back at him as he leaned in and they kissed again.

"So we should probably go and get ready for tonight," Ashley said reluctantly.

"We don't have to go," Zander said, moving is lips to her neck.

Ashley closed her eyes. "We don't..."

"We could just be by ourselves," Zander whispered in her ear.

"Swimming in the moonlight," Ashley said softly.

"Skinny dipping in the moonlight..." Zander corrected with a grin.

Ashley laughed. "Zander..."

"You don't like te idea?" he asked,

Ashley rested her forehead on his. "I do actually."

"Good," Zander murmured, kissing her again.

"But, I do want to make an appearance at the dinner," Ashley said. "Everyone's going to be there."

"Sure," Zander agreed. "I definitely want to eat."

"And then we can sneak away," Ashley said running her hand through his hair.

"Agreed," he said, pulling her onto his lap.

"You're really amazing, you know that?" Ashley asked.

"You are," he shook his head.

"I wish we had our own cabin," Ashley said wistfully.

"Me too," he answered. "It's not exactly fun on the floor but it's worth it to be here."

Ashley laughed. "You and Kevin sharing the sitting room. Who would have ever imagined that?"

"I thought it was going to be really awkward," he said. "But he's been pretty cool."

"I'm glad," Ashley said. "I don't want any more drama."

"You and I have had enough of that," Zander said.

They saw Katie and Kevin approaching and Zander shook his head. "Speaking of drama..."

"Stop," Ashley nudged him. "I'll be amazed if they even bother with us."

Katie and Kevin were coming back from the lake. "I just thought of a reason I'll be excited to go back to school," Katie told him. "Other than the fact that I have such a hot boyfriend. I can show off my nice tan..."

Kevin laughed. "Those are the only reasons?"

"Pretty much," Katie said smiling at him.

Kevin slid his arms around her little waist. "I'll come visit you every weekend you're in that town."

"And write to me?" Katie asked hopefully.

"All the time," he promised, kissing her.

"And send me little presents?" Katie asked when they broke apart.

He laughed. "We wouldn't want to forget that."

Katie grinned and hugged him tightly. "I'm so happy, Kev."

"Me too," Kevin said. "I never... I didn't ever see you like this before. Never thought I would."

"Well, I can be very persuasive when I want something," she teased.

"I know that now," he slid his arms back around her

"And just you wait until you see my dress tonight," Katie said. "I'm going to knock your socks off."

"Oh?" Kevin asked. "Do I get a hint?"

"One word," Katie said winking at him. "Red."

His gaze darkened. "You always look good in red."

Katie gave him a kiss. "And I had better dash because I want to look perfect tonight."

"Glad I'm a bloke," Kevin said. "I'm not worried about what to wear, or my hair--"

Katie poked him in the side. "Very funny, Kev."

"You're already gorgeous," he said as they came closer to the cabin.

"Just you wait," Katie said giving him a quick kiss. She noticed Zander sitting on the step. "Well, if it isn't my future brother-in-law. Where's Ash?"

"She went inside to get ready," Zander said.

Katie frowned. "What? There's only one bloody bathroom!"

"You better hurry," Zander said with a grin.

Katie rushed into the cabin, slamming the door behind her.

Zander laughed. "That'll be a battle to the death."

"Two girls," Kevin said in a dramatic voice. "One loo..."

"Glad I'm out here," Zander said.

"Out of the line of fire," Kevin said sitting down.

Zander eyed the other boy, wondering how any conversation they might have could be anything but awkward.

"How about Puddlemere, eh?" Zander asked, deciding to stick with talk of sport.

"Saffron and RJ are going to take them all the way again next year." Kevin said. "Mark my words."

Zander grinned. Sport worked every time.

While the two boys discussed Quidditch, Lavender and Seamus had arrived with Stephanie and Gabriel.

This was Stephanie's first trip abroad and she was having the time of her life. They had spent the day meeting Seamus' parents. While Lavender and Seamus checked in with Hermione, Gabriel and Stephanie were taking a walk around the grounds.

"Your grandparents were so nice," Stephanie was saying.

"YEah they're pretty great," Gabriel said. "And I knew they would love you."

"They're pretty proud of you," Stephanie said. "Just as much as me."

"Just a little while left of interning," Gabriel said. "And then--"

"Residency," Stephanie finished.

He grinned. "Finally. I can't wait. I feel like I've been working at this forever."

"You have," Stephanie said linking her arm in his. "But it's all going to be worth it. At least that's what you tell me when I'm studying."

"You're right," Gabriel said. "So waht do you think of this place? It's pretty nice..."

"It is," Stephanie said looking around. "I wish we could have come sooner."

"Damn finals," Gabriel said ruefully.

Stephanie laughed. "It's okay, Gabe."

Gabriel hugged her tightly. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too," Stephanie said resting her head on his shoulder. "This is like a trip of a lifetime. I met your grandparents and now we're here at a place where your dad and stepmother fell in love."

"We have them beat," Gabriel told her with a grin. "We're already in love."

Stephanie laughed. "Very much so."

Gabriel gave her a kiss. "Dad and Lavender got us our own cabin. I think it's right over there."

Stephanie looked at him in surprise. "What?"

"Our own cabin," Gabriel tugged on her hand.

Stephanie grinned and allowed him to lead her to their cabin.

"I know what we'll do with our privacy," Gabriel said shamelessly, closing the door behind them.

Stephanie smiled coyly at him. "You do?"

"Uh huh," Gabriel said, kissing her.

They had not really had a moment alone since arriving here and Stephanie was glad to have him all to herself. He pushed her back to the sofa and they fell on it, still kissing.

"We're not going to get out of here if we keep this up," he said.

Stephanie arched against him. "Are you complaining?"

"About you?" Gabriel asked. "No way."

Stephanie started to unbutton his shirt. "I should get you back for touching my leg underneath the table at your grandparents'."

Gabriel laughed. "I didn't know you'd have that reaction..."

"Your grandmother probably thinks I'm the clumsiest person on the planet," Stephanie said before kissing him.

"No she doesn't," Gabriel ran his fingers through her hair.

"Well, you are lucky I love you so much," Stephanie said softly.

Gabriel grinned at her. "I love you too, Steph."

Stephanie smiled up at him. "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be."

"Same here," he answered. "But I guess we should save this for later..."

Stephanie nodded reluctantly. "Yes..."

Gabriel kissed her one more time before they sat up. "My dad and Lav want to show us around."

"Right," Stephanie said smoothing her hair while Gabriel buttoned his shirt.

They left their bags in the bedroom and then headed out. "We must have brought the sunshine with us," Gabriel commented. "It's usually raining."

"A little touch of home," Stephanie said reaching for his hand.

"I've always liked England," Gabriel said. "It's sort of become home away from home now."

"And I'll get to meet all the people you've told me about," Stephanie said. "Though I feel like I know most of them already."

"They'll love you," Gabriel said as they approached the cabin where Seamus and Lavender were staying.

Gabriel held the door open for his girlfriend and smiled when he saw that his stepmother was not alone. A pretty brunette was sitting with Lavender and Gabriel grinned. "Saffron Kirke..."

"Gabe!" the girl squealed, jumping up.

Stephanie stood back as the girl hugged him tightly.

"You look great," Saffron said. "You've recovered completely?"

"Completely," Gabriel said grinning at her. She had visited him a couple of times at the hospital but had managed to miss meeting Stephanie each time. She studied the girl and Stephanie gulped.

"Hi," Saffron smiled at her. "It's so nice to finally meet you. Gabe has talked about you so much I feel like you're already one of the family."

Stephanie relaxed. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Is this your first time in England?" Saffron inquired.

Stephanie nodded. "First time traveling out of the States, actually."

"I hope you like it here," Saffron said as a little brown haired girl came out of the loo and looked shyly at them.

"Ellie, come here," Saffron said motioning for her daughter.

Ellie retreated to her mother's side and looked with wide eyes up at Stephanie. "Hi." she said.

Stephanie smiled. "Hi. That's a pretty dress you have on."

Ellie giggled and swayed it from side to side. Saffron grinned. "You've just won her over, Stephanie."

Gabriel picked up the little girl and spun her around. "Since when are you shy, Miss Kirke?"

"I'm not," Ellie giggled harder.

"I didn't think so," Gabriel said putting her on his shoulders

"Now I'm taller than Daddy," Ellie said. "He's coming with Edward right now!"

Lavender grinned. "I can't wait to see him!"

"Andrew's my husband," Saffron said to Stephanie. "Edward is our son. He's two, and Ellie is four now."

"Almost five!" Ellie corrected.

Stephanie laughed. "Almost five? You're such a big girl!"

"Five going on twenty," Saffron teased.

"Where are your parents?" Lavender asked Saffron.

The smile on Saffron's face faltered a bit. "Well, my mum is at her cabin and my dad is missing in action."

"Is he all right?" Lavender asked.

"Nothing's happened to him, I hope."

"He's fine," Saffron replied and told them of how her father had been more like himself these last few days.

"That's good," Lavender said. "Especially for Hermione. Personally, I always thought your father could use an attitude adjustment."

"Lavender," Seamus said shaking his head.

"It's just my opinion, Lavender said innocently. "Remember when they first got married and we came over to find them shagging on the sofa? And Harry was spouting off some nonsense about it being the year of the rabbit and how they got to--"

"Stop," Saffron put her hands over her ears. "That is WAY too much information..."

"What's shag-ging?" Ellie asked innocently.

"Nothing," Saffron said quickly. "Don't worry about it, baby."

"Nice," Seamus said to Lavender. "Very nice."

Ellie grinned. "Is it the year of the rabbit? I love rabbits! Almost as much as I love Puddles!"

"I think it's the Year of the Ram," Stephanie said. "Not that I really follow the zodiac much..."

Saffron mouthed 'thank you' to Stephanie. "Why don't you tell Stephanie about your pony, El?"

"Shadowfax!" Ellie said brightly. "Want to go see her?"

Gabriel smiled. "We'd love to see her. If it's okay with your Mum."

"When Daddy gets here we can all go," Saffron promised her daughter.

Ellie smiled and led Stephanie and Gabriel over to the sofa to tell them about the pony. Saffron looked at Lavender. "Please don't mention shagging and my parents in front of me again. I don't want to be scarred for life, Aunt Lav."

"Lavender hasn't been shopping in four days," Seamus said. "She's going through withdrawal."

Lavender nudged him. "Shut it, you."

Saffron smiled. "Ethan knows where Dad is, but he won't tell me or Jules. He's being a smug bastard."

Seamus laughed. "Well, it can't be anything serious then, Saffy. If Ethan's not worried, you shouldn't be."

"I guess you're right," Saffron said. "I just hate he knows and I don't."

"Maybe I should go and check on Hermione," Lavender said thoughtfully.

"She'd be happy to know you're here," Saffron said.

"I wish we were staying more than one night," Lavender replied.

"They're staying at Dad's old cabin," Saffron told her. "You remember the way?"

"Yes," Lavender said. "Although I can't believe they're in there... it's so tiny. I wouldn't even be able to fit my clothes for THIS trip in the closet--"

"How many clothes did you bring exactly?" Saffron asked.

Seamus shook his head. "Don't even ask, Saffy."

Saffron laughed as Lavender huffed and left the cabin. "it doesn't get old teasing her does it?"

"Never," Seamus replied with a grin.

"I'm looking forward to tonight," Saffron said. "Everyone together at dinner..."

Seamus nodded. "It's been a long time since that's happened."

"And my dress is pink and white," Ellie said obviously done talking about the horseback riding.

"I bet you look like a real princess," Stephanie said.

"Daddy tells me all the time that I'm a princess," Ellie said proudly.

"We're still working on throwing the rose petals when she enters the room," Saffron joked.

"She's definitely your daughter," Gabriel teased Saffron.

"Very funny," Saffron said. "And to think I actually missed you."

"Course you did," Gabriel sat back and put his arm around Stephanie. "So what's this I hear about you and the lake?"

Saffron groaned. "Gabriel Boyd!"

"Just asking," he replied. "Your brother said--"

"Merlin, now he's gone international!" Saffron exclaimed, shaking her head. "I am going to so get him tonight."

"What did you do?" Stephanie poked him in the side. "What did you just start?"

"My mummy's a mermaid," Ellie confided.

"Elinore!" Saffron exclaimed.

Ellie giggled.

While Saffron plotted her revenge on Ethan, Lavender had arrived at Hermione and Harry's cabin and knocked on the door.

Hermione opened the door and frowned. "I thought you were Harry," she said, her smile faltering.

"It's nice to see you too, cousin." Lavender said. "What's going on with your hair?"

"It's a mess," Hermione said shaking her head. "But I'm to frazzled to do anything with it."

"That's why I'm here," Lavender said. "Merlin, look at this place. It's so tiny..."

Hermione stood back to allow Lavender to enter. "Did you come all this way to just insult and complain?"

"Of course not," Lavender said. "But really--"

"What?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing," she said. "Come on. Let me fix your hair."

"That's really not necessary," Hermione started to protest.

"You don't want to show up looking like this tonight," Lavender said. "Trust me."

Hermione reluctantly sat down while Lavender emptied her bag.

"Where is the king of the world?" Lavender asked.

"I don't know," Hermione replied quietly.

"Well is he all right?" Lavender asked.

Tears welled up in Hermione's eyes. "I--I don't know..."

Lavender stopped combing her cousin's hair and sat down next to her. "Hermione, I'm sure he's all right."

"You really think so?" Hermione asked.

"Saffy was at the cabin when I left and she said Ethan knew where he was," Lavender reassured.

Hermione brightened. "Really?"

"Would you really be sitting here letting me do your hair if you thought he was hurt?" Lavender asked.

Hermione shook her head. "No, of course not."

"I'm sure he'll pop up anytime," Lavender said, resuming her work with a comb and a bottle of Sleakeazy's potion.

"You did my hair the last time we were here," Hermione commented.

"Well, when we were younger."

"A few times," Lavender nodded. "Merlin, I remember you sneaking away with Harry. I couldn't believe you slept with him."

Hermione smiled as she remembered that first night.

"We both changed a lot that summer," Lavender said as Hermione's hair smoothed out.

"We did," Hermione agreed.

"There," Lavender said. "Your hair is perfect and you're gorgeous." she smiled at their reflection. "What were you planning to wear?"

"I don't know," Hermione replied honestly.

"Then I'm REALLY glad I came prepared," Lavender went back to her bag.

Hermione smiled. "Lavender, what would I do without you?"

"Be completely unfashionable," Lavender replied under her breath.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"I'm sure I have something here for you," Lavender covered. "Let's see..."

Hermione watched her cousin and could not help the feeling of nostalgia that came over here. For a moment, she could see them as eighteen year old girls, getting ready for the final party.

Lavender held out a simple, slender cut black dress. "This. This will look amazing on you."

"Lavender," Hermione said smiling at her.

"Put it on," Lavender insisted.

Hermione took the dress. "Okay, but I doubt it's going to fit..."

"Of course it will," Lavender said. "I designed it for you."

Hermione gave her a cousin a hug. "You're the best, you know that?"

"Of course I am," Lavender said. "Go on and change and we'll finish getting you ready."

Hermione nodded and headed into the loo, trying not to think of the worst.

She slid into the dress and it did fit, and looked quite lovely on her. "Well?" she asked, coming back out.

Lavender beamed at her. "You look beautiful!"

Hermione smiled back at her. "Thanks to you."

"You had something to do with it," Lavender said. "And when that husband of yours shows his face, his jaw is going to drop."

"Good," Hermione squeezed her cousin's hand.

"He probably knows I'm here so he's making himself scarce," Lavender told her.

"He wouldn't miss the opportunity to take the mickey," Hermione said. "He lives for it."

"So do I," Lavender said. "And I haven't seen him in awhile so I have loads of material."

Hermione laughed. "I can't wait to hear you two."

There was another knock on the door and Lavender grinned. "I'll get it." She strode over to the door and slung it open. "Well, Mister Wonderful, you have some---Oh, it's you, Ron."

"It's really nice to see you too, Lavender," Ron said sarcastically.

"I can't believe you knocked," Hermione said to Ron. "I believe that's a first."

"The Rabbit King threatened my life if I didn't," Ron said. "Look, I can't find Luna and I was wondering if one of you could tie this..."

"That tie is hideous!" Lavender said snatching it out of his hand.

"I didn't ask if it was stylish, I asked to tie it," Ron tried to grab it back.

Lavender shook her head. "This is the worst tie I've ever seen. And you're not sitting with me wearing it. And don't even get me started on those dress trousers..."

Ron looked at Hermione pleadingly. "I just want someone to tie this for me..."

"You look fine," Hermione told him. "Lavender..."

"No he doesn't," Lavender said.

"Well I'm not sitting with you so it doesn't matter," Ron grabbed the tie. "My family is here and I'll sit with them."

"Not in that outfit they won't," Lavender countered.

"Lav," Hermione got up. "He looks very handsome. Leave him be." she stepped forward and looped the tie around Ron's neck. "Where did you say Luna was?"

Ron shrugged. "She grabbed her dress and shoes and promised she'd see me later."

"Harry's been missing all day," Hermione said. "I wonder what's going on..."

Ron checked his reflection in the mirror. "I'm sure he's here somewhere."

"You look horrendous," Lavender said bluntly.

Ron turned and glared at her. "Because you don't like my tie..."

"It's the whole outfit," Lavender waved her hand.

"I'll have you know this is my best suit," Ron said defensively.

"I am so sending you some new things once I get back to California," Lavender shook her head. "Honestly..."

"Lavender," Hermione chastised.

"You would look fantastic in Armani," Lavender said thoughtfully. "His house does owe me a favour..."

"Army?" Ron asked confused. "Camouflage?"

Lavender stopped and stared at him. "PLEASE tell me you aren't into camouflage... that is SO out!"

Hermione sighed. "Enough! Stop both of you. Behave like the adults I know you are."

"I'll send you some things next week," Lavender couldn't resist. "Be on the lookout."

"I can hardly wait," Ron said rolling his eyes. He turned to Hermione. "I'll see you later."

Hermione nodded. "See you at dinner."

Ron headed out of Harry's old cabin and hurried back to his. He wished Luna had not run off like she had. He needed the extra practise.

He got back to his cabin to find his twin daughters there with their families along with RJ and Audrey. "Have you seen your mother?" he asked them.

"We saw here when she met us at the gate," Drew replied. "She said she was coming back here to get ready."

Ron sighed. "I haven't seen her all day."

Drew gave him a hug. "Are you nervous about your big dance?"

"No," Ron lied.

"Your mother and I always dance perfectly together."

Darla smiled. "You do, but this time everyone's eyes are going to be on you. I mean, hundreds of people, Dad..."

Ron paled. "Well I've done this before..."

Drew glared at her sister. "Nice, Darla."

"What?" Darla asked innocently. "What did I say?"

"Dad, you and Mum are going to do fine," Drew said. "And we'll be here cheering you on. Right, Darla?"

Of course," Darla said. "Rafe can't wait to see you dance. He's hoping you'll hide him from Ellie."

Drew laughed. "He could just hind behind your belly."

Darla patted her stomach and shared a look with Liam. "Very funny, Drew."

"Kicking?" Liam asked his wife.

Darla nodded. "Like a footballer."

"It's a boy," Rafe said. "Girls can't kick."

"Says you," Chloe sniffed. "I can kick hard."

"You're too prissy!" Rafe argued.

"I am not!" Chloe stamped her little high heeled foot.

"She has a tough side, too," Brian said putting his arm around her.

Rafe grinned. "There's a spider behind you, Chloe."

It was hard to tell who was more scared of this, Ron or Chloe. Chloe yelped and grabbed her father's hand while Ron screamed.

Rafe nearly fell off the sofa, laughing. "Gotcha! There's no spider!"

Ron put his hand on his heart. "Rafe, don't scare Grandpa like that."

"I didn't mean to scare you, just Chloe." Rafe said, kicking off his shoes.

"Just for that, I'll make sure Ellie sits beside you," Chloe said with a grin.

Rafe's smile fell away. "No way. I'm not going."

Luna chose that moment to walk in, looking a bit flustered. "Hi, everyone!"

"Loony, where have you been?" Ron asked.

"Just helping out," Luna said, hugging Chloe.

"Grandma, you look beautiful!" Chloe exclaimed. "I love your dress!"

"Thank you darling," Luna said. "Are you lot ready?"

"Yes, but I want to know where you disappeared to," Ron said.

"We'll talk later," Luna kissed her husband on the cheek. "Who did your tie?"

"Hermione," Ron replied. "Does it look okay? Lavender said I looked horrendous."

"You'll be the most handsome man there tonight," Luna said. "I think you look brilliant."

Ron smiled. "You look beautiful, Loony."

"Thank you," Luna beamed at him. "Come on. The ballroom is ready."

"Let's just hope Harry turns up," Ron commented.

"I'm sure he will," Luna ushered them all out. "Ronald, there are hors d'oeurves in the ballroom..."

Ron's smile widened.

"I'm hungry," he said. "Come on... what are we waiting for?"

RJ stood up and offered his hand to his wife. He was hungry too and wanted to check out the dinner before Ron and Emma ate it all.

"Aud?" he asked, when Audrey did not immediately take his hand. She had been preoccupied all day.

Audrey shook her head and looked up at her husband. "Is it feeding time?"

"Way past," RJ grinned. "You okay?"
"I'm all right," she said softly.

"I know you well enough to know when something's wrong," RJ said sitting down beside her. "What's going on?"

Audrey was quiet for a moment. "I found out something interesting today..."

RJ sighed. "Whatever Saffron told you, it isn't true. She's still mad over the whole mermaid thing..."

Audrey laughed. "This has nothing to do with Saffron... although that does make me curious.

RJ shook his head. "Don't ask her anything."

Audrey smiled at him. "I wasn't feeling well earlier today so I popped into town. It turns out... that I'm--"

"It's okay if you're sick," RJ interjected. "We can stay in our cabin..."

"I'm not sick," Audrey said. "I'm pregnant."