Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

*** *** ***

Harry had been back at work exactly five hours, thirty four minutes and seven seconds, and it was already proving to be the longest day of his life. Josie had apparently led three raids while he had been on holiday with his family and she was touting this to everyone who would listen.

"Then," Josie continued. "We captured three rogue Death Eaters. And I found out later that it was the shortest raid in existence."

"Harry had the old record," one of the other Aurors said looking over at him. "Josie beat you by three minutes, mate."

"Isn't that something," Harry managed to keep his tone from being completely sarcastic.

"Oh," Josie said patting his arm. "You know, some of us are still stuck in that archaic way of doing things..."

"I do what works," Harry said evenly.

Josie let out a little laugh. "Obviously..."

"Harry's always been one of our best and most faithful Aurors here," Neville said. "And that's not going to change."

"I just wanted the two of you to know that I held things down while you were on your holiday," Josie said grabbing some files from her desk.

Harry and Neville exchanged looks and Neville shook his head slightly.

The office cleared out, leaving Harry and Josephine alone. Harry still remembered the anger he felt when he walked into his office to find her sitting behind his desk. She had claimed to be looking for another file, but Harry knew better. She was snooping.

"Hard to get back into things, isn't it?" she asked conversationally.

"It's fine," he muttered.

Josie smiled. "All that time away..."

"Do you have a problem with it?" Harry snapped.

"Of course not," Josie replied smoothly.

"Then mind your own business," Harry responded coldly. Josie returned her attention to her files but wore a smug expression on her face. Harry silently scolded himself for losing his cool with her yet again. Every time she remained calm and his temper flared it just made him look worse.

There was a knock on the door and the two of them looked up from their respective work to see Lupin in the doorway. "Hello sir," Josie said quickly. "What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to say hello to Harry," Lupin said.

Harry resisted the urge to grin. "It's good to be back."

"Good to have you back," Lupin said smiling at him. "We missed you around here."

"Thank you," Harry replied. "I'm looking forward to the next raid."

"We're going to meet about that in a couple of hours," Lupin told him. "Josie has some Intel..."

"I'm ready to go now," Josie piped in.

Lupin smiled. "That's great. Harry?"

"I'm ready to lead," Harry told him.

Lupin grinned. "Well, let's go into the meeting room. I'll get Neville."

Harry got up from his desk and followed his mentor down the corridor.

Josie followed behind him, still wearing that smug expression on her face.

He hoped that she wouldn't be allowed on this missions seeing as she had completed three others. He wanted a chance to prove that he could hold his own.

"You sure you don't want your wife in here?" Josie asked, nudging him. "Kind of bring home the fact that you're the minister's husband. Ooooh...I know, we'll bring up the fact that you killed good, old Voldie..."

Harry sent her a dirty look. "Bet you wish you'd done that, don't you?"

"THAT was years ago," Josie shot back. "You can't fall back on that forever."

"I never have," Harry told her.

"Right," Josie said smiling sweetly at him as she breezed into the meeting room.

Harry narrowed his eyes as he went in and sat next to Neville in front of Lupin's chair.
"We all know that there is still a group of rogue Death Eaters," Lupin began. "In the last couple of weeks, under the lead of Josephine here, we were able to catch quite a few of them."

"I'll get the rest," Josie said. "Don't worry."

"I think we're going to let Harry lead this next one," Lupin said.

"Thank you sir," Harry didn't need to turn around to know that Josie would be seething at this news.

"Sir," Josie said. "I--I was the one that gathered all the Intel. I really feel that I am more qualified to lead this raid."

"I understand," Lupin said. "But Harry has never led us astray."

"But--" Josie started to protest.

"Harry will lead this raid," Lupin repeated firmly.

"Whatever you think is best," Josie said quietly.

"Neville, you'll be second in command," Lupin said. "Get your group together."

Neville nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Harry, go get yourself ready for the mission and pick your team," Lupin ordered.

Harry knew exactly the people he wanted on his team and Josephine was not one of them. At the moment, he did not put it past her to sabotage the mission to make herself look better. "So I'm not going on this mission?" Josie was asking Lupin as Harry left the room.

"You've already led three," Harry heard Lupin say.

"I know but--" she began.

This time, Harry wore a smug expression as he looked back into the room. Josie caught him and Harry was momentarily surprised at the look of hatred that crossed her face. Turnabout was fair play, Harry thought to himself. He gathered his team- including Ethan, Justin and his old trainee Natalie and brought them back to Lupin.

"Excellent choices," Lupin said. He looked at Josie. "You can brief the team, Josephine."

Harry noted that Josie looked none too enthusiastic as she told them the hideout location and characteristics of the people they would be looking to bring in.

"We'll prepare to leave in ten minutes," Harry told his group.

"We'll follow and go in from behind," Neville told his team. "Meet up in the middle and surround the Death Eaters." Josie reluctantly handed Harry the map she had painstakingly created. The look she shot him was one of pure hatred.

"Hm," Harry said. "This might be of help."

"You know this is completely unfair," she hissed, in a voice low enough so only he would hear.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry said. Josie glared at him. "I'll let you know if this is useful," Harry crumpled the map in his hand.

"I can't wait," Josie said sarcastically.

Harry pushed past her to his team. "Let's go." He could feel Josie's eyes on him as he led the way.

"Dad this is brilliant," Ethan said. "I can't wait to get this group." Harry nodded. It would be nice to get back to work by pulling off this raid.

Harry used his wand to duplicate the map and he handed copies to each of the team members.

"Memorize the whereabouts of the Death Eaters and then destroy these," he said. Harry studied the map and decided the best course of action would be to break up in teams of two.

"Ethan," he said. "You take your team around to this side, while Neville comes around from behind. I'll go in the front."

Ethan nodded. He knew how important this mission was for his father and he was not going to let him down.

"Let's go," Neville motioned to Harry and the group Apparated out.

They arrived in the woods just outside the small village where the Death Eaters were camped out. "Quiet," Harry ordered them. "Split up, now."

Harry could not shake the feeling that something was not quite right here.

"Sir?" one of his team members asked. "Are we to move in?"

Harry was about to answer when the house before them suddenly burst into flames.
"Shit!" Harry said. "Get back!"

The adjacent homes also burst into flames and Neville drew his wand. "What the hell?"

"Get down now!" Harry said as a spell shot out towards them. He deflected it and sent one of his own.

Ethan covered Natalie as she made a break for the woods. Harry and his team went on the offence while Neville and his team approached the house. Harry felt the adrenaline pumping through his veins as he steadied his wand, ready to defend his team. He could not shake the feeling that the Death Eaters had been tipped off to their arrival. He wondered if Josie would go low enough to do something like that.

"There's no one here!" Ethan cursed.

"Everyone retreat!" Harry barked.

Harry knew without a doubt that someone had tipped them off and they had burned the houses to destroy any evidence.

He saw a flash of clothing to his right and pointed his wand. "Stupefy!" he shouted.

The woman stopped in her tracks.

Harry used a spell to bind her arms and legs together. "We'll take her back with us," he said.

"You want me to comb the area to see if there's any evidence?" Ethan asked.

Harry nodded. "Be on your best guard. Who knows how many of them there are now."

Natalie and Justin stayed behind with Ethan while Neville and Harry took the woman back to Auror Headquarters. "I can't believe this," Neville said. "They had us pegged."

Harry was positively seething. Though he had no concrete proof, he was certain Josie was behind this. "You don't think she'd sent us into the lion's den do you?" Neville voiced his thoughts.

Harry shrugged. "I don't know, but I sure as hell am going to find out."

Harry called for Lupin to come to one of the interrogation rooms as he hauled the woman up into a chair.

"Who are you?" Harry asked her point-blank.

"I don't have to tell you anything," the woman spat hatefully.

"You see," Harry said sitting down across from her. "That's where you're wrong."

"Harry," Lupin hurried into the room. "What's happened?"

"It was a bust," Harry said to him. He motioned to the female Death Eater. "Well, except for her."

"Get some Veritaserum," Lupin ordered.

"I'll get it," Josie offered. Harry looked over at her, wondering when she had arrived.

"An extra strong dose," Lupin said.

"Yes, sir," Josie said, nodding at him. "Coming right up."

Harry glared at the other woman. "Lupin, I need a word with you in private when we're done here. Things were really messed up tonight."

"Of course," Lupin said solemnly.

Josie turned and looked back at Harry. "Something wrong with my map?"

Harry glared at her. "Do you mind? I'm trying to do an interrogation."

"This should have been mine," Josie hissed at him so Lupin wouldn't over hear. "I don't know how you managed to goof it up--"

Harry let out a sarcastic laugh. "Oh, that's rich. I goofed it up."

"Potter." Lupin spoke sharply. "Hilson."

Neville sighed. "I'll get the Veritaserum and I'll do the interrogation."

"Like hell," Harry snapped.

"Longbottom's right," Lupin said firmly. "Hilson. Potter. My office. Now."

Josie and Harry glared at each other. "Now!" Lupin ordered. Harry pushed past her and stalked into Lupin's office.

When they were alone, Lupin demanded they sit and give him answers. Josie opened her mouth to respond, but Harry beat her to the punch. "She gave us a map that led us to an area where we were nearly ambushed," Harry reported.

Josie glared at him. "How dare you accuse me of sabotaging your mission!"

"Because you fucking DID!" Harry roared.

"Harry!" Lupin warned.

"She's been trying to sabotage me since she came here," Harry snapped.

"I could care less about you," Josie said. "I'm here to protect the people of the magical world not to bolster your fragile ego."

Harry almost lunged towards her and hit the other woman but Lupin gave him a warning look. "Look," Harry said trying to keep his emotions in check. "The lives of my team were in danger today. I don't take that lightly, Hilson."

"I wouldn't do anything to sabotage a mission, Potter." Josie said icily.

"Unless I'm leading it,' Harry shot back.

"That's NOT TRUE!" Josie was losing her temper fast.

"Why do you think Josephine sabotaged your mission, Harry?" Lupin asked.

"She gave me this map," Harry tossed the crumpled parchment onto the desk. "And it was supposed to reveal the locations of Death Eaters. Instead we walked into a trap!"

"Are you insinuating that I tipped them off?" Josie asked incredulously.

"Would you?" Harry asked pointedly.

"Remus," Josie said looking at the older man. "I'm not going to dignify his question with a response. I think my record speaks for itself."

"Harry this is an awfully serious accusation," Lupin said.

"He just can't stand it that I've beaten his record," Josie said glaring at Harry.

"This isn't school," Lupin said sternly.

Harry looked pointedly at Josie.

"I'm putting both of you on warning," Lupin said. "This behaviour is childish."

"I'm sorry, sir," Josie said quietly.

Harry glared at both of them.

"I think it's best if you both leave for the day," Lupin said. "Neville will handle the interrogation and file the paperwork."

"But I brought her in!" Harry exclaimed.

Lupin folded his arms and levelled his gaze. "Are you questioning my authority, Harry?"

"No," Harry muttered.

"I'll see you both tomorrow," Lupin said firmly. Harry shoved back his chair and left Lupin's office.

He was practically seeing red as he stalked out of headquarters. His first day back and he was being sent home like some spoiled toddler.

It was all that damn Josie's fault too," he thought angrily.

She acted all innocent but he knew she was playing all of them. Harry would not have taken this so personally if she had not jeopardized the team. Someone could have died or been seriously hurt.

Still fuming, Harry arrived back at the mansion and sought out his wife. In the state he was in, the only one who could possibly calm him down would be Hermione.

She was in her home office, just finishing up a stack of paperwork. "You're home early--" she began but stopped when she saw her husband's face.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, noticing the soot and ash on his clothes and face. "What's happened?"

"That bloody woman," Harry snapped. "She's made a fool out of me and my team!"

Hermione stood up and walked across the room to him. "Josephine?"

"Who else?" Harry asked.

Hermione led him over to the sofa, but he shook her off. He did not want to sit down.

"She sabotaged my mission," Harry ranted. "She wants me to fail so she can win the position."

Hermione looked at him. "Are you sure? From what I've seen of her records, she doesn't seem the type to sabotage..."
"I know what she did!" Harry said angrily.
Hermione held up her hand. "I'm sorry. I wasn't there. Just tell me what happened."

Harry detailed the events of the day to his wife, finishing with Lupin's dismissal of the two of them.

Hermione shook her head as Harry finished. From what he said, Josie's sabotage seemed like a definite possibility.

"If this is proven true then it will have a real effect on her position here," Hermione said.

"I would never do this to another Auror," Harry said, still fuming. "She put the lives of everyone on that mission in jeopardy."

"Did everyone get out safely?" Hermione asked. "Was Ethan there? Is he all right?"

Harry nodded. "We're fine. Ethan stayed behind to help collect evidence." Hermione relaxed and nodded. Harry finally sat down and put his head in his hands.

"Hey," Hermione put her hand on his shoulder. "Lupin knows how good you are."

Harry nodded. "I know."

Hermione moved closer to him on the sofa. "I think you're a shoo in, and I'm not just saying that because I have a vote in the matter. Everyone knows how good you are at what you do."

Harry reached for her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Just trust me," she said softly.

"What would I do without you?" Harry asked finally offering her a grin.

"Go completely crazy," she said. "You do have such a temper."

"I'm not THAT bad," Harry said nudging her.

"It's where Saffy gets it from," Hermione pointed out.

Harry chuckled. "That's why everyone's so scared of her."

"We did make some formidable children," Hermione said with a grin.

"That we did," Harry agreed. "Merlin, I'm a mess."

"Go clean up," Hermione said. "I'll make some tea."

Harry gave her a kiss. "Thanks."

"Chin up," Hermione said. "It shouldn't' be much longer."

"And hopefully she'll be out of my hair," Harry said.

"If you're in charge you won't have to keep her," Hermione called back. Harry nodded. He would gladly send her back to Australia.

"I'll have the tea ready in a few minutes," she said.
Harry nodded and with a sigh headed upstairs to take a quick shower. Hermione busied herself with the tea, wondering if it was time to bring Lupin in and start questioning him about the candidates.

She hated seeing her husband tense like this and she knew he was probably upstairs questioning his decision to go on holiday at such a critical point. She would have to reassure him that no matter what Josephine did, the Wizengamot would be looking at the whole picture not just recent activity. She just hoped that Josephine was not deliberately sabotaging missions just to make herself look better. Harry was right---people's lives were at stake.

Harry came down about 10 minutes later looking a bit more refreshed and a lot cleaner.

"Feeling better?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"You smell really good," Hermione said pecking him on the cheek before handing him a cup of tea.

"Only the best for you," Harry replied.

They sat down at the table and Hermione studied him. He was still preoccupied but his demeanour had improved. She set her cup down and stood up. Coming up behind him, she started massaging his shoulders.

"It's been awhile since you've given me a massage," Harry said.

"I used to do it all the time when you were in training," Hermione recalled.

"Those easy days," Harry said.

"You definitely were not as tense," Hermione said moving her hands over his shoulders.

"Thackeray," Harry recalled. "That giant arse."

"You made it through that ordeal and you'll make it through this," Hermione encouraged.

"You're right," he nodded, closing his eyes.

"Just. Relax," Hermione said soothingly.

"I will," Harry promised.

Hermione kissed the top of his head. "I love you."

"Love you too," he answered. "Thanks for calming me down."

"That's what I am here for," Hermione said.

*** *** ***

It was nearly two in the morning and the diner was nearly empty save for Gabriel in his usual booth at the back and a couple of nurses eating a late dinner at the counter. Gabriel had a big exam tomorrow morning and although he was tired, he knew he had to keep studying. Sleep would be great right now, but it would not help him pass the exam. Absently, he ran a hand through his hair just as Stephanie set a plate of muffins before him.

"I didn't order these," he said.

"Of course you didn't," Stephanie said with a grin. "I just made them and I need a guinea pig. Let me know what you think."

"Hmmm..." Gabriel said. "Am I risking certain death by biting into one of these?"

"Very funny," Stephanie said glaring at him. "Eat."

He unwrapped one and bit into it. "These are great, Steph."

"You really think so?" Stephanie asked, sitting down. "I mean, you're not just saying that because you're exhausted and can barely think straight?"

"Thanks to that strong coffee, I'm more than awake," Gabriel said with a grin.

"My boss is letting me try out some recipes," Stephanie said grinning at him. "It's not much...but it's a start."

"Seems as if you're a natural," Gabriel told her. "They're fantastic."

Stephanie blushed. "Thanks."

"How's the wrist?" he asked her.

Stephanie held out her arm. "See for yourself."

He applied a slight bit of pressure to it. "Seems like it healed up well. I'm glad."

Stephanie smiled. "Well, you see I had this really great doctor..."

"Almost doctor," Gabriel joked.

Stephanie laughed. "This really great 'almost' doctor then."

"Everything's going okay for you then?" Gabriel turned serious. "With Tony?"

Stephanie's smile faltered a bit at the mention of her boyfriend. But, thankfully, he was out of town and she had enjoyed a little freedom these last couple of days. But, he insisted she text or call him every two hours to keep tabs on her. "Good," Stephanie said with a shrug.

"Is he still hurting you?" Gabriel asked point blank.

"He never hurt me," Stephanie said looking down at the table. The lies came so easily now.

"Steph you can't lie about this," Gabriel told her. "We already had this talk."
"You should have another muffin," Stephanie said pushing the plate toward him.

"I just want to help you;" Gabriel ignored the muffins.

"I know," Stephanie said reaching over and patting his arm. "You're amazing, Gabe."

"I can help you leave him," Gabriel told her.

Stephanie looked over at him. "Gabe..."

"You deserve better than him, Steph." Gabriel told her. "You know it."

"He's been very good to me," Stephanie said softly.

"How?" Gabriel was confused. "He hits you. He broke your wrist!"

Stephanie looked at him. She had never told anyone the truth. "Well, my father walked out on my mother when I was really young. For the longest time, it was just my mom and me. She did the best she could, but she was more interested in having a good time than raising a daughter. I took care of her more than the other way around."

"I never knew that," Gabriel said quietly. "What happened?"

"Well, she kicked me out when her new boyfriend did not want me around," Stephanie said, tears welling up in her eyes. "So, I came here to Los Angeles. Tony was the first person I ever met here. He---he took me in and gave me a place to stay."

"That doesn't give him the right to hurt you," Gabriel argued.

Stephanie opened her mouth to respond when Melanie plopped down beside Gabriel, interrupting the moment.

"I thought I'd find you here," she ignored Stephanie and leaned over to kiss him. Gabriel did not respond, momentarily angry at Melanie for interrupting this moment. He had nearly broken through to Stephanie.

"I'm starved," Melanie didn't notice his expression. "I hope they have something fresh here at this time of night. I hate those fattening foods..."

Stephanie stood up. "What can I get you?"

"A mixed greens salad," Melanie said dismissively. "And don't cover it in dressing- put that on the side."

"Sure," Stephanie said. "And to drink?"

"Ice water." Melanie turned to look at Gabriel. "You will not believe this patient I just had."

Stephanie shared a look with Gabriel before turning for the kitchen. He half listening to what Melanie was saying, only feigning interest by nodding and making noises at the appropriate times. Suddenly he realised she was asking him a question. "What?"

"I asked if you were ready for the big Biochem exam tomorrow," Melanie said nudging him.

"I hope so," he replied. "I feel like it's burned into my brain."

Melanie pulled her book out of her bag. "What's got you so preoccupied?"

"Just the test," he lied.

Melanie's nose wrinkled in disgust as she looked at the plate of muffins. "Eww."

"Those are amazing," Gabriel said. "You should try one."

"No, thank you," she said. "Those are loaded with fat and calories."
"Sometimes a little fat and calories are good for you," he said.

"Well, maybe if I can work it off," Melanie said winking at him.

He smiled at her. "Anything else happen tonight?"

Melanie started to tell him about an attending that they both disliked. Gabriel tried to listen to Melanie, but in actuality, all he wanted to do was go back to the kitchen and talk to Stephanie.

"Gabe," Melanie waved a hand in front of his face. "Are you in there?"

"Sorry," Gabriel said, giving her an apologetic look. "I'm not the best company tonight, Mel."

"I guess I can understand," she said. "I was studying for that damn test in between patients."

Stephanie placed the salad and water before Melanie. She took the plate of muffins. "I'll box these up for you, Gabe. So, you can have something for the morning."

"Thanks," he told her. "I'll be right back." Melanie slid out of the booth and moved to the other side so Gabriel could head for the bathroom.

Melanie glared at Stephanie as the waitress picked up the plate of muffins. "Do you make it a habit of sitting down with your customers, Sally?" Melanie asked her point-blank.

"I beg your pardon?" Stephanie asked.

"Can the innocent act," Melanie hissed at her.

"I don't know what you're talking about--" Stephanie began.

Melanie rolled her eyes. "I know what you're trying to do, but it won't work. He's my boyfriend, not yours. Besides, what would he want with a nobody like you. Free coffee?"

"Gabriel and I are just friends," Stephanie said in a controlled voice. "I live with my boyfriend."

"Maybe you should remind yourself of that," Melanie said sarcastically.

Stephanie stared at the other girl and felt herself growing angry. "I've never made a move on Gabriel," she said tightly. "And you have no reason to speak to me like this."

"Go away," Melanie said dismissively. "We're done."

Stephanie rolled her eyes. "Bitch," she muttered to herself as she turned to walk away.

"Steph?" Gabriel called out, but she just held up her hand and hurried to the kitchen.

"What's the matter with her?" Gabriel asked, sliding back into the booth.

"Who cares," Melanie replied, putting her napkin on her lap. "She's just a nothing little waitress."

Gabriel stared at her for a long moment. "My mother was just a waitress too."

Melanie silently cursed herself for that slip of the tongue. "I didn't mean that as it came out..."

"She's working an honest living, and I find that respectable," Gabriel said coolly.

"Of course," Melanie said hastily.

He couldn't help but feel that he'd just seen a very different side to Melanie that he hadn't known existed.

"And I'm sure she works very hard," Melanie said. "I couldn't do this."

"It's a tougher job than people realise," Gabriel relaxed a bit. "My mother was on her feet all the time."

"I guess I didn't realise given who your father is," Melanie said.

"He met her at the restaurant she worked at," Gabriel said.

"Oh," Melanie said, hoping this was not a case of like father, like son.

"So maybe you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, Mel," Gabriel said. "You have no idea what someone like her is going through."

"I'll keep that in mind," Melanie pasted a smile onto her face.

Gabriel nodded. "Let's---let's go over the notes from Chapter Ten..."

"We'd both better pass this exam with flying colours," Melanie said, grabbing a fork for her salad.

In the kitchen, Stephanie peered out the small window. She could not believe Gabriel was dating someone like her. He thought she could do better? Well, the same applied to him.

She took the box with his muffins and also grabbed the coffeepot to refill his cup. At least now he'd stop bugging her about Tony.

She should never have told Gabriel about her past. She did not know why she had. He was just so easy to talk to. He always had been. She sighed as she watched him bend his head over his textbook. She had to admit she did care about him. He'd been there for her several times when she needed help. If only things were different, Stephanie thought.

She heard a peal of laughter and looked out to see Gabriel and Melanie apparently laughing at something in their textbooks. Stephanie shook her head. How blind could Gabriel be?