Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter----you get to learn more about Alexa and Dimitri. Enjoy!

Saffron's eyes grew large. "H-husband?"

"We got married just a few months ago," Alexa said. "On a beach in Bora Bora."

Saffron could only stare at the tall, dark-haired man before her.

"Hello," he said with a slight accent. "The famous Saffron. I feel as if I know you already."

Saffron gaped at him. "I wish I could say the same," she muttered.

"What's going on?" RJ came into the foyer. "Is the food here?"

RJ reached into his pocket and handed Dimitri some money. "This should cover it, mate. Where's our food?"

"RJ," Alexa pushed his hand away. "This isn't the delivery bloke. This is my husband."

RJ laughed. "You married the delivery bloke? Okay, Lexie...whatever. Where's my food?"

"RJ she's not joking," Saffron said, still staring between her best friend and the man at her side.

Alexa reached for Dimitri's hand. "Dimitri, this is RJ Weasley."

"Heard a lot about you too," Dimitri smiled at the other man. "Nice to meet you."

RJ stared at the other man's extended hand. He reluctantly shook it. "Haven't heard a thing about you."

"I know this comes as a surprise," Alexa said. "But I wanted to do it that way."

Saffron stared at her in disbelief. "A surprise? Are you kidding me? My best friend in the whole world has been married for a 'few months' and she never thought to tell me once?"

"You're mad at me?" Alexa asked.

"Not mad," Saffron said truthfully. "Just---hurt."

"This wasn't something I felt I could tell you over a mobile," Alexa said.

Saffron shook her head. "But, you could have Apparated over and told me. Lexie, who is this bloke?"

Alexa sighed. "Dimitri Laskaris, I want you to meet my best friend, Saffron Kirke."

Dimitri extended his hand. "Lexie has talked about you often."

"Yeah," Saffron said. "Like I said before, wish I could say the same."

Dimitri withdrew his hand. "Well, I hope we'll get to know each other better."

Saffron glanced over at Alexa and suddenly she could see how hurt her best friend was. She softened her face and put her hand out. "I'm sure we will, Dimitri."

He smiled. "To tell the truth, I was more afraid to meet you than her father."

RJ guffawed. "You and the rest of the population on earth."

Saffron nudged him hard in the ribs. "What were you saying, Junior?"

"That you're the smartest person on earth?" RJ wheezed.

"Right," Saffron said. "Good boy."

Alexa shook her head. "Thanks Saffy," she said softly.

"Come on inside," Saffron said. "You can meet my husband and children and RJ's better half."

"Hey!" RJ protested.

Dimitri took Alexa's hand and followed her into the sitting room. Ellie looked up from her dolls. "Who's that, Mummy?"

"This," Saffron said. "Is Dimitri. He's Auntie Lexie's husband."

Andrew's eyes nearly bulged out of his head and Audrey coughed on her tea.

"I thought it would be a nice surprise," Alexa was obviously embarrassed. "But I can see I was wrong..."

Andrew stood up and shook the other man's hand. "It's definitely a surprise. We, um, didn't even know Lex was seeing anyone."

"It happened so quickly," Alexa said. "He accompanied me as my photographer on one of my assignments... and it just happened."

"We've been together ever since," Dimitri said putting his arm around her.

"How long ago was that?" Saffron asked.

"May," Dimitri replied. "We were married less than a month later."

"Wow," Saffron said. "Such a short time..."

Alexa sat down and Dimitri took the seat beside her. Saffron had so many questions but she did not want to bombard her best friend. But, this was just so unlike Alexa. Alexa was not the type to meet a bloke and marry him less than a month later. Thankfully the doorbell chimed and RJ hurried to get it. The food had arrived and Saffron excused herself to ready the kitchen.

Alexa appeared in the doorway a moment later. "You are mad at me," she said.

Saffron shook her head as she grabbed dishes from the cupboard.

"Yes you are," Alexa said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Saffron asked turning and facing her. "Hmmm?"

"I honestly wanted it to be a surprise," Alexa said. "I swear."

Saffron set the dishes aside. "It was definitely a surprise."

"Please," Alexa said. "Don't be mad. I need your support."

"You always have my support," Saffron told her. "Come here, Mrs. Laskaris."

Alexa wiped at her eyes and hugged her friend tightly. "Maybe you can help me tell my parents..."

"You haven't told them yet either?" Saffron asked. "Lexie---"

"I know," Alexa said. "It's basically been an extended work honeymoon for us since we got married."

"Are you happy?" Saffron asked her.

"SO happy," Alexa said. "He's so dreamy, Saffy."

Saffron laughed. "Listen to you."

"I think you'll really like him when you get to know him," Alexa told her.

"I'm sure I will," Saffron said.

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said.

The others entered the kitchen. "You girls done with your pow-wow?"

"Yes," Saffron replied. "Did you eat everything yet, human vacuum?"

"Funny," RJ asked. "Ellie, tell your mum to be nice to me."

"Mummy's just honest," Ellie said loyally.

Saffron picked up her daughter. "That's right."

"Amazing," RJ shook his head. "You have her completely--"

"Be nice," Audrey told him.

"I'm not nice when I'm hungry," RJ replied, making Alexa and Saffron laugh.

Saffron shook her head and helped her daughter into her seat. "Everyone have a seat. Andrew, get the champagne. We have something to celebrate. Right, Lex?"

"We sure do," Alexa wound her arms around Dimitri's middle and he slid his around her shoulders.

"Okay, my love?" Dimitri whispered.

"Everything's great now," Alexa gave him a quick kiss. "I'm so happy."

"Me too," he said smiling at her. "Think they like me?"

She nodded. "They're warming up. I knew they would"

"Come on, love birds," RJ teased. "Or there won't be any left."

"What is this?" Dimitri asked.

"The best curry in the whole world," Saffron announced.

"It smells great," Dimitri took a plate. "Thanks."

"So, where did you go to school?" Andrew asked him. "Durmstrang?"

"Yes," he nodded. "I liked it there."

"And you're a photographer?" RJ asked. "Me too, mate. I take photographs for my mum's paper during the off-season."

"Nice," Dimitri said. "I'd love to see your work."

RJ grinned. "Sure. I'd like that."

"RJ's brilliant," Alexa said. "His photographs are amazing."

RJ beamed at her. "Thanks, Lex."

"So," Alexa said. "I haven't offered either of you a congratulations yet on your engagement."

Audrey shared a smile with RJ. "Thanks."

"That is a beautiful ring," Alexa admired it. "Have you set a date?"

"We're going to wait until after the season is over," RJ said. "Though I keep telling her we should just elope to Las Vegas like Darla did."

"No way," Audrey shook her head.

"Apparently eloping is quite the thing these days," Saffron joked.

"It was very spur of the moment," Dimitri said. "But Lex and I know we want to spend the rest of our lives together."

Alexa beamed at him. "We just knew."

Saffron looked between Alexa and Dimitri. In all the years she had known her best friend, she'd never seen her like this.

"Like Grandma and Grandpa," Ellie said to Alexa.

"That's right baby girl," Andrew told his daughter.

"Grandpa's sad," Ellie said looking down at her plate.

"He's going to be all right," Saffron smoothed back Ellie's hair as Edward grabbed some cheese off her plate.

"Promise?" Ellie asked.

Saffron smiled thinly. "I hope so."

Alexa reached across the table for Saffron's hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"It's been rough on everyone," Saffron said. "But we're trying to be as supportive as possible."

"My parents were going over there tonight," RJ said. "If anyone can make your dad laugh it's my father, Saf."

"I hope so," Saffron's smile was more genuine.

Dimitri laughed. "Ah, you're the family that eats a lot, right?"

"I see Lexie described us well," RJ boasted.

Alexa blushed. "I said other things about you! Not just that you eat a lot."

"You were just being truthful," Saffron teased.

"What did she tell you about Saffy there, Dimitri?" RJ asked.

Dimitri laughed. "Only good things."

"Come on, mate," RJ said. "You can tell us the truth."

"Shut it RJ," Saffron tossed a piece of pepperoni at him.

He caught it deftly in his mouth. "Thank you, Sassy."

"Uncle RJ," Ellie said. "Will you wear your tiara tonight?" The entire table, save for RJ, erupted in laughter.

"Yeah," Edward pointed to him. "Wear!"

RJ's entire face reddened. "Oh no, mate. Not me."

"Why not?" Saffron asked with a grin.

Ellie slid off her chair. "I'll go get it!"

"You're stuck," Audrey told him.

"Too bad you didn't bring your camera, Dimitri," Alexa said to her husband.

"No thanks," RJ said hastily as Ellie flew back into the room, her tiara in one hand and feather boa in the other.

RJ looked pleadingly at the little girl. "El, I love you, but no..."

Ellie's lower lip stuck out. "But Daddy will wear the boa..."

Andrew choked on his drink. "Ellie---"

"Please Daddy?" Ellie asked. "It's so pretty."

"Yeah, Andrew," RJ said. "Go on, mate."

Ellie handed her father the boa and pushed the tiara at RJ.

"Go ahead boys," Alexa urged. "She did ask sweetly."

RJ grumbled but plopped the tiara on his head. It was worth it when Ellie's face broke out in a radiant grin.

"How do I look, El?" RJ asked in a high pitched voice.

"Beautiful," Ellie said. "But Daddy is the most beautiful of them all."

Andrew grinned and put the boa around his neck. "Thanks, El. Don't leave Dimitri out now. Do you have anything for him?"

Ellie turned to look at him pensively. "I think so!" she turned and ran out of the room.

Alexa nudged him. "Uh oh."

Ellie ran back in with a sparkly pair of sunglasses. "These are JUST your colour!"

Dimitri chuckled. "Ah, just what I always wanted."

Ellie grinned at him when he put them on. "Yay!" she cheered.

"Yay!" Edward echoed.

Saffron looked at Alexa and Audrey. "There you have it, ladies. The three most beautiful men in the whole world at our table."

"We are so lucky," Audrey deadpanned.

"This doesn't leave this room," Andrew said to them.

"We know," Saffron assured him.

They finished their meal and RJ and Audrey said their goodbyes. Alexa helped Saffron with Edward while Ellie and Dimitri helped Andrew with the cleanup. "Do you really like him, Saf?" Alexa asked while Saffron changed her son into his pyjamas.

"Yeah," Saffron smiled at her. "He seems like a good guy. And he's obviously mad about you."


"He's fantastic," Alexa said dreamily. "I've never felt this way before."

"Obviously," Saffron teased as she pulled Edward's little shirt over his head.

Alexa laughed. "He was really worried about meeting you."

"Make me out to be scary, did you?" Saffron joked.

"No!" Alexa replied. "It's just that he knows how important you are to me and he wanted to make a good impression."

"It was just a really big shock," Saffron admitted.

Alexa nodded. "I should have told you earlier. Probably not the best way to break the news."

"Well... I suppose an owl wouldn't have been the best way either." Saffron admitted.

"Dear Saffy," Alexa said. "I'm married. Wish you were here."

Saffron laughed. "I would have had to kill you."

Edward squirmed in Saffron's arms. "No sweep."

"Oh yes my baby boy," Saffron said. "You are going to sweep."

"Bad Mummy!" Edward said, poking his lower lip out.

Saffron suppressed a smile. "Do you want to go say goodnight to Daddy and Ellie?"

"Kay," Edward said.

"Want to go to your aunt Lexie?" Saffron asked him.

Edward looked over at the redhead and looked thoughtful for a moment before holding his arms out to her.

Alexa took him and kissed his cheek. "I can't believe how big he is already."

"Tell me about it," Saffron said following her out of the nursery.

"I can't wait to spend loads of time with them this month," Alexa said.

Saffron was glad for that, too. She was still trying to process the fact that her friend was married, but it meant the world to Saffron that Alexa was home.

"Where will you go after this?" she asked.

"Dimitri has an assignment in the States," Alexa said. "And I'm not sure where I'll be going. My editor will let me know."

"How wonderful for you," Saffron commented. "You've been able to see the world in such a short amount of time."

"I've gone places I never would have dreamed of going," Alexa said. "I love it, Saffy. I really do."

Saffron grinned at her. "You're glowing."

"Am I?" Alexa said grinning back at her.

"Completely," Saffron said as Edward yawned.

"There's the party pooper," Ellie grinned when she saw her brother.

"No," Edward frowned.

"On that note, I think we'll go," Alexa said. "I know you want to get them to bed..."

"Oh stay for awhile," Saffron said. "They go down pretty easily and we can have some coffee."

"Okay," Alexa smiled. "We'd love that."

"Gives me a chance to get to know Dimitri better, too." Saffron added.

Andrew picked up Ellie. "She means interrogate you, Dimitri."

"Should I be scared?" Dimitri joked.

"Her bark is worse than her bite," Andrew said.

"Says you," Saffron returned. "Edward wants to say good night."

"Good night, pooper," Ellie said gazing at her brother.

"No!" Edward shouted.

"Elinore Kirke," Andrew warned. "You know he doesn't like that."

"You need a quick bath," Saffron said to her daughter. "Auntie Lexie and I will help you."

"Hate baths," Ellie grumbled.

"You like them when I turn the water purple," Saffron told her.

Ellie grinned. "Yeah..."

"And I bet you'll like it even better when Auntie Lexie does it for you," Saffron said.

Alexa held out her hand. "I think I might have something special up my sleeve, Princess Ellie."

Ellie eagerly went with Alexa while Saffron put Edward to bed. Andrew and Dimitri finished cleaning up the kitchen and sat down in the sitting room with beers. "So," Andrew said. "You and Lexie... married."

Dimitri nodded. "Yes. Married."

"I'm sorry," Andrew apologised. "It's just that I've known her a long time, and this really surprised all of us. But if you love her and she loves you, then I think its fantastic mate."

"I love her very much," Dimitri said leaning back on the sofa. "I learn something new about her every day."

Andrew grinned. "That's how it was with me and Saf at the beginning."

"Lexa told me that you fancied her for quite some time," Dimitri said.

"Yeah," Andrew nodded. "Almost a year before she finally figured things out."

"And look at you now," Dimitri said. "Family."

"It's been a long road for us," Andrew said. "But Saf and I make a good team, especially now that we're parents."

"Lexa told me so much about all of you, I feel like I know you already," Dimitri said. "Of course, I know the same can't be said on your end, but hopefully we'll get to know each other."

"That would be great," Andrew nodded.

"It would be great to have someone to fly with," Dimitri said with a grin. "Alexa doesn't like it much."

"You could fly with Saffron too," Andrew said. "She's amazing at it. Better than anyone I've ever known."

"I know," Dimitri said. "I'm a big Puddlemere fan actually. She's fantastic."

"Don't tell her that," Andrew joked.

They heard the sounds of Ellie's laughter from the bathroom.

"Lexa loves your kids," Dimitri said. "Always getting little things for them and talking about them."

Andrew nodded. "She's a good godmother. Spoils them almost as much as their grandparents."

"Tell me about it," Dimitri laughed.

"I think she kept Ellie in clothes the first two years of her life," Andrew joked.

The little girl in question came running into the room, her purple nightgown flowing behind her. "I'm all clean!"

Andrew laughed as Ellie launched herself at him. "Yes, you are!"

"Can I stay up later?" Ellie asked, casting a look over at Dimitri.

"Not this time, baby girl," Andrew said.

"Why?" Ellie pouted.

"Because it's already past your bedtime and your brother's already asleep," Andrew told her.

"Pooper," Ellie mumbled.

"We'll be back tomorrow morning," Alexa promised.

"Elinore," Saffron said. "Come on. Time for bed."

Ellie sighed and stomped her feet. "Well, this just stinks!"

The adults all had to suppress their laughter. "Come on baby girl," Andrew said. "Daddy will put you to bed."

Alexa knelt down and gave the little girl a hug. "Sweet dreams, El. I'll see you in the morning and since you were so good tonight, I might bring you something from my mum's bakery tomorrow for breakfast."

"A chocolate doughnut?" Ellie asked.

Alexa pretended to think this over. "I think that could be arranged..."

Ellie's grin nearly split her little face. "I can't wait!"

Alexa kissed her cheek. "Night, El."

"Bye," Ellie said, burying her face in Andrew's shoulder.

Alexa sank down on the sofa beside her husband. She rested her head on his shoulder.

"Tired, Lexa?" he asked softly.

She nodded. "It's been a long day."

"Where did you want to stay tonight?" he asked. "Hotel room?"

"Probably be best," Alexa replied softly.

"I really hope your parents like me," he said. "This is a really big step."

Alexa squeezed his hand. She knew that they would love Dimitri because he made her happy. What they would not be happy about was the fact that they had no idea that Dimitri was even in her life, let alone that she had married without their knowledge. When it had happened, it was like a whirlwind. Thinking about what they were doing might have disrupted what was going on between them. But, now everything seemed real. But, she was so happy now that she knew without any doubt she had no regrets about what had happened. This was right.

*** *** ***

Frankie and Maddie had left their husbands and children at home to meet for a little early Christmas shopping. With their larger families, it was easier to get it done bit by bit as they got closer to the holiday.

"That will be so cute on Kiera," Frankie gushed as Maddie held up a little dress. "And she'll love it."

Maddie smiled. "She loves that colour."

"Purple looks good on everyone," Frankie nodded.

"I think Saffy is getting one like that for Ellie and you know how those two like to match," Maddie said.

"Perfect," Frankie nodded.

"Where do you want to go after this?" Maddie asked looking at another set of dresses.

"Harrods?" Frankie asked. "I always manage to get most of my shopping done there."

Maddie laughed. "And they know you on a first name basis."

"I should have my own department there," Frankie agreed with a grin.

"Don't you?" Maddie asked teasingly.

"One of these days, you might just be surprised," Frankie said as Maddie went to pay for the dress.

Frankie looked at some shirts for Nathan while she waited. Her children were growing up so fast. She could hardly believe Hannah was going on thirteen already. It seemed like just yesterday that a four-year old Hannah was peering up at her from underneath Luna's table. She smiled as she thought of what a long way Hannah had come. She was a talkative, happy young lady who enjoyed everything in her life.

Frankie could hardly wait to pick her up in a few days at Kings Cross. She was eager to hear about everything that was going on at Hogwarts.

"Okay," Maddie said, coming back over with a bag. "Let's hit Harrods... they won't know what to do with themselves."

Frankie laughed. "Just doing my part to help the economy."

Maddie giggled. "So what's new with Hannah? You said she sent you an owl last night."

"Oh telling me all about her adventures with Emma," Frankie replied.

"Keeping out of trouble?" Maddie asked.

"Trying to," Frankie said shaking her head. "Apparently Snape is giving our Em a hard time."

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Maddie shook her head too. "Snape and my great aunt Muriel... the only two people in the world resistible to my charms."

Frankie looked at her. "Maddie? You actually tried that look of yours on Snape?"

"It didn't go over so well," Maddie admitted. "I got detention."

Frankie giggled. "Maddie!"

Maddie shrugged. "I figured it might make me as legendary as Jon."

Frankie shook her head. "I can just see it. Him looking all stern and you break out the puppy dog eyes."

Maddie giggled. "For a minute, I did think it would work."

"Poor, deluded little Maddie," Frankie said.

"Hey," Maddie nudged her. "At least I never tried to flirt with Professor Binns."

Frankie stopped walking and pulled an innocent face. "I never flirted with Binns!"

"Uh huh," Maddie said wryly.

"I just tried to convince him to change my marks is all," Frankie said. "I can't help that I'm naturally charming."

"And so you asking him what he was doing later- not minding the fact that he's a ghost..." Maddie began.

Frankie swatted at her. "Madeline Weasley Potter..."

"What would you have done with him?" Maddie asked.

"Nothing!" Frankie said laughing. "Eww, gross!"

"Yeah right," Maddie said, still laughing as they entered Harrods.

Frankie smiled. "I love this place."

"I'd rather get the toys from a magical toy shoppe," Maddie said softly. "But I love Muggle clothes."

Frankie grabbed her friend's hand. "Wait until you see the children's section, Mads."

"I know," Maddie said. "I've been in here a few times."

"They have the cutest little boots that you're going to just swoon over," Frankie gushed. "Izzie wears hers all the time."

Maddie nearly squealed when she saw them. "I have to get the girls both a pair."

Frankie's mobile rang and she reached into her bag. She was going to ignore it when she saw her father's name on the screen. "Hi, Dad. No I haven't purchased your gift yet, but don't worry---"

"Frankie," Neville interrupted. "I just wanted you to know that I was in contact with the Muggle police."

Frankie froze. "What? What is it, Dad?"

"David Wright has disappeared off the radar," Neville said. "He's wanted for coming near Hannah, but they're also after him now for breaking parole and he robbed a chemist."

"No," Frankie whispered.

"He can't get to Hannah up at the school, and I've already sent word to Oliver about the situation," Neville said.

That was only small comfort to Frankie. In just a few days, Hannah would be home. "What are we going to do, Dad?"

"I have some contacts with the Muggle police and they're going to watch your place,"

Neville said. "One in back and one in the front, for the next few weeks. If he tries anything, anything at all..."

"Thank you," Frankie managed.

"Don't worry sweetheart," Neville said reassuringly. "We'll find him." Frankie wanted to believe him.

"I'll call Will and let him know," Neville said. "Alright?"

"Thanks," Frankie said. She hung up and put her phone in her bag in a daze.

Maddie put a hand to her shoulder. "Frankie? What's wrong?"

"David Wright," Frankie managed. Maddie gaped at her.

"He's disappeared," Frankie said. "Robbed a chemist... and no one knows where he is."

"I'm sure they'll find him," Maddie tried to reassure her.

Frankie sighed. "I've got to call Will."

Maddie shook her head. "Come on. Let's go home. You should tell him in person. You need him."

"Sorry, Maddie." Frankie said. "I know we were having fun."

"No need to apologise," Maddie said reaching for her hand. "Come on."

They left Harrods then found an alleyway where they Apparated back to Frankie and Will's house.

"Will!" Frankie called out, grateful that Isabel and Nathan were at school. "Will!"

Will came out of the sitting room. "I just got out of a firecall with your dad."

"He told you?" Frankie asked.

"Yeah," Will said grimly.

Frankie looked helplessly at him. "What are we going to do?"

"We are going to live our lives," Will told her. "Be careful with Nathan and Isabelle, and keep a watchful eye on things. David has no idea where Hannah is, and he can't even get near Hogwarts."

Frankie nodded. "Should we tell her?"

"I think so," Will replied. "Remember how upset she was in Brighton when he found her?"

"Yes," Frankie replied hugging her husband. "Will, are we ever going to be rid of him?"

"He'll be going back to jail when they find him and no judge in their right mind will let him out again," Will replied. "I think we should let Mallory know what's going on."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Maddie asked.

Frankie shook her head. "Not right now, Mads... thanks though."

"If you need anything," Maddie offered.

"Thanks," Frankie hugged her best friend. "I'll talk to you later."

Maddie nodded and made her departure. Frankie sat down on the sofa. "He's out there somewhere."

"I think the most important thing to remember here is not to panic," Will told his wife.

"Right," Frankie agreed. "We can't be like this in front of Hannah."

"But let's not bring this up in front of Nate or Izzie unless we absolutely have to," Will cautioned.