Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We want to thank you all for the great response to the last chapter. We have big plans for the return to Hillsdale, BUT for now, it's still home sweet home. Well, actually it's Singapore tonight but it's a good, long chapter. Again, we thank you for the great response! You guys are the best!

After Ashley had gotten back to her group, she made good on her promise to write to Kevin. They were going to be in Singapore at the same time and agreed to meet up for some tea.

She had not seen him since Brittany's birthday. The more she thought about his sudden interest in Katie, the more she thought that he might have an ulterior motive. Did he want to get back with her? Did he think pursuing her sister would make her jealous? She did not think Kevin was that type of person, but sometimes love made you do crazy things.

In any case, she was going to let him talk and find out if his interest was true, and if it wasn't.... well she wanted to make sure he wasn't going to hurt her sister.

He was already waiting for her in the cafe and Ashley gave him a wave before heading over to him.

"Hey," she said with a slightly guarded smile. "Thanks for meeting me."

"Of course," Kevin said standing up. "You look great, Ash."

"Thanks," she said as they sat down together. "How's your tour? This is the last bit, right?"

Kevin nodded. "Yeah, and then we're off for a few months. Back to the recording studio."

"So you'll be home in London for summer hols," Ashley noted.

"Yes," Kevin replied. "Your dad's producing our next album."

This was news to Ashley. "He is?"

Kevin chuckled. "You sound surprised. Why?"

Ashley shrugged. "It has nothing to do with your relationship to Katie?"

Kevin's smile faltered.

"Does it?" Ashley asked, a little more sharply.

"You know about that?" Kevin asked.

"She told me," Ashley replied. "Now why don't you give me some details?"

"Look, Ashley," Kevin began. "This took me by surprise."

"You're not the only one," Ashley said.

Kevin studied her. "Why do I feel like this is an interrogation?"

"I just want to be sure you aren't after Katie with an... well... an ulterior motive." Ashley said. "Our breakup wasn't the friendliest of ones--"

Kevin gaped at her.

"I'm just asking," Ashley said. "She's my sister and I don't want to see her get hurt."

"Let me get this straight. You think that I'm going after Katie in an effort to make you jealous?"

Kevin asked.

"I would really hope not," Ashley said. "I always thought you a better person than that."

Kevin looked thoughtful. "It started after your grandfather's accident. I just wrote to her to see how she was holding up. She wrote back and then I wrote back..."

"And?" Ashley pressed.

Kevin shrugged. "I found myself telling her things that I hadn't told anyone else. I know she's

got a boyfriend and there's the age difference..."

"It's just a few years," Ashley said. "And no, she doesn't have a boyfriend. They broke up."

Kevin smiled. "They did? I mean, that's too bad..."

Ashley looked over at him. "Are you really interested in her?"

"Yes," Kevin replied.

"I mean it when I say I don't want her to get hurt," Ashley said. "Katie's tough, but she can

break."

"I wouldn't hurt her," Kevin said.

Ashley gazed at her ex boyfriend. He certainly didn't seem like he was lying.

"I care about her a great deal," Kevin said.

"It's really no secret that she always had a thing for you," Ashley told him.

"She's amazing," Kevin said thoughtfully.

Ashley raised her eyebrows.

"She makes me laugh," Kevin continued.

"What else?" Ashley asked.

"She's beautiful and smart and talented," Kevin continued. "And I know she can be a little shallow..."

Ashley had to smile. "It seems like you have gotten to know her well."

"She's something else," Kevin said with a grin.

"She always has been," Ashley said dryly.

"How is she?" Kevin asked.

"Fine," Ashley said. "We were at RJ's wedding recently."

"Yeah?" Kevin asked.

"She was talking about you," Ashley chose not to mention the subject of Caroline and Bradley.

"Good things, I hope," Kevin said.

Ashley nodded. "I think she cares about you too."

Kevin smiled. "So you're okay with this?"

"It does feel a bit strange but if you two feel for each other.... then you should go for it," Ashley

told him.

"Thanks," Kevin said. "She was worried, you know. About what you'd think..."

"She was?" Ashley was a bit surprised. "Well... yes. I suppose she was a little apprehensive when she told me."

"I wonder how your parents will react," Kevin mused.

"They just want us to be happy," Ashley said. "If Katie's happy, then they'll be fine."

"I don't want your father to think the same thing that you did," Kevin said. "He's done so much

for my career."

"Then explain it to him," Ashley told him. "With Katie."

"Easier said than done," Kevin said. "But--thanks for the advice, Ashley."

Ashley nodded. "I want you to be happy, Kevin."

Kevin smiled. "I want the same for you. Though, from what Katie tells me, you're quite happy with Zander."

Ashley nodded. "Very, very happy."

"What will you do once your art tour is over?" Kevin asked.

"Probably find a place to live," Ashley said. "Keep studying..."

"With Zander?" Kevin asked.

"Probably," Ashley answered. "He's just moved in with some of his mates though, so perhaps that may not happen for awhile yet."

"I'm happy for you," Kevin said honestly.

"Thanks," Ashley smiled at him.

"I never thought we'd be in a place like this, eh?" Kevin asked.

Ashley shook her head. "Not really, but I'm glad."

"Me too," Kevin said. "We've come a long way."

"Just remember what I said," Ashley said only half joking. "You hurt my sister..."

"You'll kick my arse?" Kevin asked.

"Hex it into next year," Ashley said, but she smiled.

"I'll do right by her," Kevin promised.

"Good," Ashley nodded.

"Brit's looking forward to seeing you later," Kevin said.

Ashley smiled. "We should all go out."

"I'd like that," Kevin said.

"Some of my mates might like to go, too." she said.

"Sure," Kevin replied. "Might do my band mates some good to hang out with you artsy types."

Ashley laughed as she thought about Henry. "More than you know."

They enjoyed the rest of their tea and biscuits. Ashley found that she had missed having him as a friend and she supposed she would be seeing more of him especially if he and Katie became a couple. After a promise to see each other later that evening, Ashley said goodbye and headed back to her hotel.

She wanted to firecall Zander before they went out that evening and take some time to get

ready.

Thankfully, Zander was just getting home from work when she called. "You are a sight for sore eyes after the day I had," he told her.

"Why?" Ashley asked. "What happened?"

"Just a long day," he said. "How are you?"

"Good," she replied. She told him about meeting with Kevin and what they had talked about.

"So he fancies Katie," Zander said thoughtfully.

Ashley nodded. "It's a bit strange, but if they can make each other happy, they should go for it."

"Kind of like you and me," Zander said.

Ashley smiled. "Exactly like that."

"I miss you, Ash," Zander said.

"I miss you too," Ashley said. "So much."

"Have fun tonight," he told her.

"I really wish you could be here," Ashley said.

"Me too," Zander said. "But, we'll be together again soon."

"Next weekend," Ashley said wistfully. "Seems so far away."

"Seems so far away," another voice called out from behind Zander. Ashley laughed when she saw Evan.

"Get out of here you wanker," Zander called to him. "I don't listen in on you and your girlfriend. Oh yeah- you don't have one."

"Hi, Evan," Ashley said, laughing.

"How's it going, Ash?" Evan asked with a grin.

"I'm well," Ashley replied. "I'm meeting up with Brit and some friends later..."

"How is Brit?" Evan asked.

"He says trying to sound like he doesn't care," Zander said dryly.

"Stop being so mean," Ashley told her boyfriend. "Evan, Brit's fine. Shall I tell her you said hello?"

Evan shrugged. "I mean, you can..."

Ashley grinned. "Shall I tell her more than hello?"

"Is she seeing anyone?" Evan asked.

"Nope," Ashley said. "Hasn't been dating anyone for awhile."

Evan smiled. "Well, yeah, you could tell her hello from me."

Ashley giggled. "I'll do that, Evan."

"Brit and Evan, take three hundred," Zander joked.

"Here we go again," Ashley nodded, laughing. "I better go get ready. I really wish you were here- we're going to this place called the Ministry of Sound night club. Right up your alley."

"Have a good time,' Zander told her. "And think of me composing while you're having fun."

"I will," Ashley said. "I love you."

"I love you," Zander said softly.

"Talk to you later," Ashley said before pulling her head out of the fire. Zander sat there thoughtfully for a few moments before heading to his room.

He opened the drawer to his desk and pulled out the small box. He opened it up and smiled.

He had bought it last week after RJ and Audrey's wedding. It had cleaned out most of his savings and his parents were going to have to help him out with his rent for a few months, but this was worth it.

Now, all he had to do was find the perfect moment to ask her. He wanted to wait until she was back home.

Zander wasn't sure how she would react to this. Would she think it was too soon?

He would ask Brittany but she would probably give it away or critique his choice of ring.

"Are you seriously going to sit around all night while your girlfriend goes out and parties?" Evan asked from the door.

Zander put the ring box away and turned around. "What?"

Evan shrugged. "Let's go see the girls."

"You don't even know if Brit wants to see you, mate," Zander said.

"You're her cousin," Evan said. "You tell me if you think she would."

Zander laughed and shook his head. "She'll act like she doesn't but secretly does."

"So come on," Evan grinned at him.

"Okay," Zander said.

Evan grinned again and disappeared into his own room to change.

Zander smiled at the thought of seeing Ashley again and surprising her.

The two of them were ready in a flash and used a portkey belonging to one of their roommates to get to Singapore.

"Where's this club at?" Evan asked.

Zander shook his head. "I know the name of it, but we'll have to ask for directions."

Evan looked around. "This place is amazing."

"You should see Vienna," Zander said with a grin. "But this place is cool, too." the two of them asked for directions at a nearby fish merchant and soon found themselves in a queue to get in,

"Well, this is brilliant," Evan said sarcastically.

"Come on, this was your idea," Zander said. "Look- we're moving ahead already."

Evan nodded. "Good..."

"I wonder if they're here already," Zander tried to peer inside.


"See anything?" Evan asked.

"Too dark," he said as they paid their way inside.

Evan nudged Zander. "I think I see Ashley over at the bar..."

"Where?" Zander jerked his head around.

"There," Evan motioned to the left.

Zander saw her blonde hair in the dim light of the club and smiled. Ashley leaned in and said something to the bloke next to her and they both laughed.

"Who's that?" Evan asked.

"One of the blokes who's in the program with her," Zander replied, making his way through the crowd.

Zander tapped Ashley on the shoulder. "Excuse me, miss."

"Bathroom's over there," Ashley pointed without looking at him.

Zander grinned. "Hey, baby. What's your sign?"

"I know what mine is," Henry turned to him flirtatiously.

Zander laughed. "I was talking to the pretty blonde here, but apparently she's not interested..."

Ashley gaped at him. "ZANDER?"

"Surprise," Zander said before she threw her arms around him.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I thought or rather Evan thought it would be a good idea to surprise you," Zander said. "So here we are."

Ashley kissed him. "I am so... so... glad... you're.... here..."

"It was a tough decision," Zander said. "Writing new music or coming to see you...":

"I talked him into it," Evan broke in.

"Hi, Evan!" Ashley exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"Good to see you, Ash." Evan replied.

"Brit should be back any minute," Ashley told him. "She's in the loo."

"Good," Evan said. "I hope she's surprised."

Zander motioned to where Brittany was just emerging from the loos. She stopped in her tracks when she saw Evan.

"Brit!" Ashley waved her over. "Look who's here!"

"I can see that," Brittany said putting her hands on her hips. "What I want to know is why."

"Just thought it might be nice to see you," Evan stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"You've seen me," Brittany said pushing past him.

"Come on," Evan caught her arm. "Brit..."

"I-I'm here with someone," Brittany said suddenly and Ashley raised an eyebrow. Brittany had come alone.

"Oh," Evan said, dropping her arm. "I'm sorry. I didn't know--"

"Well, maybe you should have asked," Brittany said tossing her hair.

"They came to see us," Ashley told her friend. "Come on, Brit..."

"Yeah," Zander said. "I'd like to meet this bloke of yours."

Brittany froze, not sure what to say. She looked at Ashley for help.

"He's---he's," Ashley stammered trying to help her friend, but not sure why Brittany was putting up a front like this.

"He had to leave," Brittany said hastily. "I saw him off then went to the loo."

"But didn't you guys just get here?" Evan asked.

"It's not a big deal," Ashley said. "Who wants a drink?"

"I definitely need one," Brittany said.

"I'll buy," Evan offered.

Brittany shrugged. "Whatever..."

Ashley looked over at Zander and shrugged. She didn't want to waste her visit with him worrying about Brittany.

Ashley reached for his hand. "Guess I couldn't wait until next week to see you," Zander said, pulling her close to him.

"Guess not," Ashley said with a grin. He kissed her again, running his hand through her hair. "I think I could get used to this," Ashley said softly.

"Only a few more months and you're home," he murmured in her ear. "And I get to see you all the time."

Ashley smiled. "You don't think you'll grow tired of me?"

"No way, Malfoy." Zander said.

"You're pretty great, you know that?" Ashley asked him.

"Got me a great girl," Zander said with a grin. "I suppose that has to say something."

"She's the lucky one," Ashley said.

"So is he," Zander said before kissing her again, more passionately this time.

Ashley was breathless when they pulled apart and felt a little shaky.

"You all right?" he asked her.

"Just a little dazed," Ashley said smiling up at him.

"I like having that effect on you," he said, sliding his arms around her.

Ashley laughed. "How about we get some air?"

Evan watched the two of them walk outside and wished he could join them. Brittany stood by him, not saying a word.

"You really not going to talk to me at all?" Evan asked.

"Why would I want to?" Brittany sniffed.

Evan leaned forward. "Well, I came all this way just to see you and that bloke of yours just left you high and dry..."

Brittany looked over at him properly. "Why are you so bloody cute?"

Evan grinned. "Well, I just can't help it."

Brittany smiled back at him. "I guess it's nice to see you again."

"You guess?" Evan asked.

She laughed. "If you want to hear more of that, you'll buy me that drink."

"I see," Evan said reaching for his wallet.

Brittany studied her ex while he looked for some money. "You really came just for me?"

"No, I came to see the sights of Singapore," Evan said with a straight face.

"You always did fancy yourself a comedian," Brittany replied.

"Yes, Miss Murray," Evan said. "I came just for you. I've been thinking about you a lot lately."

"I thought my ears were ringing," Brittany said.

Evan chuckled. "So, have you missed me?"

"Maybe," she said coyly.

"I see how it is," Evan said motioning for the bartender. "Give the lady whatever she wants."

"A cosmo," Brittany replied. "Thanks."

Evan ordered himself a beer and he smiled over at her. "So, this bloke you're seeing..."

Brittany gave him a sideways eye roll.

"Just want to know who my competition is," Evan said, drawing back on his beer.

"Competition?" Brittany asked. "Who said you were in the race?"

"You said I was cute," Evan reminded her teasingly.

"You are," Brittany giggled.

"You've always thought so," Evan said.

"And we do always find a way to get back to each other, don't we?" Brittany asked.

"You never could resist the cute ones," Evan grinned at her.

"Even ones with terrible taste in flatmates," Brittany countered with a grin.

"Someone had to live with me," Evan answered as the bartender put her cosmo in front of her.

Evan paid for their drinks and led her back to the table where Kevin and his band mates were sitting with Ashley's friends. "I'm just telling you Zander's not the easiest person to live with."

"I already had to do it for seven years," he said.

"True," Brittany replied. "And I'm one to talk, I've been living out of a suitcase for the last few months."

"You?" Evan asked. "Queen of the Closets?"

"Me," Brittany admitted. "But, I am looking forward to being back home."

"What do you think you'll do while you're home?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," Brittany admitted. "I'm going to check with some magazines see if they need any stylists..."

"Well you've got loads of experience now," Evan said. "They'd be fools not to take you."

Brittany beamed at him. "Really?"

"Really," he said, squeezing her hand.

Brittany bit her bottom lip. "I have a confession to make."

"What's that?" he asked.

"I didn't come here with anyone," Brittany said.

"I kind of figured that," Evan leaned closer to her.

"You saw right through me," Brittany said blushing.

"I know you too well," Evan said.

Brittany leaned in and gave him a kiss.

Evan resisted the urge to pump his fist in the air.

Zander and Ashley came back to the table looking very happy. Brittany giggled. "Ash, you---you missed a button..."

"Oops," Ashley blushed. "Thanks..."

"You two are terrible," Brittany teased.

"You're jealous," Zander returned.

"Please," Brittany scoffed.

"So are you two back together, yet again?" Zander asked. "We'll get the crash helmets back out."

"Very funny," Brittany said poking him in the ribs.

Ashley grinned. "I'm very happy for you both."

"You've had what, twelve 'early days'?" Zander asked.

Brittany glared at him. "Just because you're family doesn't mean I can't hurt you."

"You might break a nail," Zander replied.

Brittany looked at Ashley. "How do you put up with this?"

"He's cute," Ashley said with a grin.

"He's annoying," Brittany countered.

"Nah," Ashley slid her arms around him. "Not even a little."

"Did you hear that, Brit?" Zander asked.

"Such a honeymoon phase," Brittany waved her hand. "And may I remind you both, if it weren't for me--"

Zander groaned. "If it weren't for you, we'd never be together."

"I love hearing how right I am," Brittany answered.

"It happens so little," Zander teased.

"I'm going to kill you--" Brittany began.

Evan grabbed her arm. "Let's go dance, Brit."

"You shouldn't egg her on," Ashley told him.

"Ah, she and I have been doing that since we were kids," Zander said defensively.

Ashley smiled and put her arms back around him. "Did I mention how glad I am you're here?"

"Once or twice," Zander said, giving her a kiss.

"Then I haven't told you enough," Ashley said in his ear.

It suddenly fell into place for Zander. He would ask her this summer once she was back home. He would talk to her father when he returned to get his blessing.

"Are you okay?" she asked, pulling away to look at him.

Zander nodded and smiled. "I'm great."

"Want to dance?" she asked.

"Sure," Zander said.

"You get to put your arms around me," Ashley nibbled at his ear. "Hold me as close as you can..."

"I do, eh?" Zander asked. "Well, then, what are we waiting for?"

*** *** ***


Katie was holding court at the Slytherin table, hoping that the day would bring a letter from Kevin.
She had not heard from him in a couple of days and she was eager to see how he was doing.

"Katie," Tegan said pulling out her notebook. "Today from eleven to twelve, you've scheduled yourself for a manicure. I had the Slytherin house elf set aside the colours you suggested..."

"I don't want a house elf doing my nails," Katie said a bit snappishly.

Tegan quickly turned a page in her notebook. "Um, they just set aside the colours. I have---I have that seventh year from Ravenclaw that you requested..."

"Oh," Katie said. "That's fine."

Tegan smiled in relief.

"What about my nails?" Lindsey asked.

"The house elf can take care of you," Katie replied.

"WHAT?" Lindsey asked.

Katie giggled. "You should see the look on your face, Linds."

"I don't' want a house elf touching me," Lindsey said with a sneer.

"Do you want me to see if I can get you an appointment?" Tegan asked.

"Yes," Lindsey snapped. "What do you think?"

"Lindsey," Katie warned.

"Please," Lindsey added.

"Better," Katie said. "But, just remember, I go first."

"Of course," Lindsey sat back.

Katie reached for some toast when she saw Caroline and Bradley enter the Great Hall. Their faces were flushed and they were carrying brooms.

"Well, well," Lindsey said scornfully.

Katie glared at her former friend and ex-boyfriend.

"I can't believe you haven't retaliated yet," Lindsey said as the couple took a seat at the end of the Gryffindor table.

"I've had other things on my mind," Katie said with a shrug.

"Like Kevin?" Tegan asked with a smile.

Katie smiled. "Yes."

"Have you heard from him?" Lindsey asked.

"Not yet, but he's really busy," Katie said. "I expect he'll send something today."

"I wonder if he's going to finally tell you how he feels," Tegan asked. "he's sort of been hinting around about it..."

Katie grinned. "I think so too, Tegan."

"He should really stop playing around," Lindsey said.

"What would you know about it, Lindsey?" Katie asked, though she secretly agreed. She hated not knowing.

"Didn't you say Ashley was going to talk to him?" Lindsey shrugged. "Wouldn't she have told you anything?"

"She's in Singapore," Tegan announced. "So, she's probably really busy and she has her own love life to deal with. Isn't that right, Miss Katie?"

"Something like that," Katie said absently, her eyes on Bradley and Caroline.

At the Gryffindor table, Bradley handed Caroline her plate. "This is cruel punishment, Miss Weasley," he said. She had beaten him at their match and the terms of the bet had been the loser had to wait on the winner.

"And to think you wanted to raise the stakes," Caroline shook her head with a grin

"Good thing we weren't betting money," Bradley said pouring her a glass of juice.

"Next time," Caroline answered.

"Oh, I don't think I'm going to put myself through that again," Bradley said.

Caroline laughed. "Don't be scared."

"I'm not," he said reaching for a waffle. "Even though you won, I had a great time."

Caroline grinned broadly at him. "Same here."

"Can I get you anything else?" he asked, standing up and bowing.

"Maybe some toast?" Caroline asked, looking at a stack a little ways down the table.

"Coming right up," Bradley said.

Caroline watched him head down the table then turned when she felt another pair of eyes on her.

She met Katie's gaze and could not believe Katie was still upset over this.

However, she was not about to give in to her. Not this time.

Caroline turned back around and laughed when she saw Bradley had picked up not only the extra toast but Emma, as well. "Do you know this little monkey?" he asked.

"Was she eating all the toast?" Caroline asked.

Emma giggled. "No!"

"That's only because she just finished pancakes, waffles, and who knows what else?" Bradley said with a grin.

"A muffin," Emma said impishly.

"I don't know where you put it, Em," Caroline shook her head.

Emma shrugged and sat down. "Aunt Maddie says it's the Weasley stomach."

"It's got to be," Caroline said. "You can sit down," she told Bradley jokingly.

"I have to do whatever your sister wants for the next twenty four hours," Bradley explained to Emma.

"What about me?" Emma asked impishly.

Bradley shook his head. "Oh, no..."

Caroline laughed. "I could make that happen you know."

"That's what I'm afraid of," Bradley said.

"What do you think, Em?" Caroline asked her sister.

Emma pretended to think it over. "Em says yes."

Caroline giggled. "You can use him three times, Em."

"What am I?" Bradley asked. "A genie?"

"You'd look really cute in those trousers they wear," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"Very funny, Caroline," Bradley said. "You're lucky I like you so much."

"Don't I know it," Caroline said flirtatiously. She chanced another sneak peek at Katie.

Lindsey glared back at her. "Katie, come on. We have to do something. She's practically flaunting it in your face."

Katie glared at Lindsey. "This is my problem, is it not?"

"Well, yes," Lindsey said. "But--"

"And I'll decide what I want to do about it," Katie finished. "If, OR when, I want to."

Tegan looked at Katie with pride.

"Whatever," Lindsey rolled her eyes.

Tegan grinned. "I think I hear the owls! Today's post!"

Katie straightened up in her chair.

Three envelopes were dropped in front of Katie.

"Are any of them from Kevin?" Tegan asked eagerly. "One of them has to be!"

Katie reached for the post and felt her breath catch in her throat. One of the letters was from Kevin.

"Open it!" Lindsey urged.

Katie set the other two letters aside and opened Kevin's.

"What does he say?" Tegan asked when Katie didn't change expression on her face.

Katie did not hear Tegan as she read Kevin's words. "Dear Katie," she read. "I'm sitting here at a cafe in Singapore after talking to your sister. It was good to see her and I think that we are on our way to being friends again. Never thought that would happen, but here we are. Seeing her again, also made me realize how deep my feelings for you are."

Katie couldn't stop the huge grin that spread across her face. Without a word to her two friends, she grabbed her things so she could read the rest of the letter in private.

She sat on one of the benches outside the Great Hall and opened the letter again. "I know it sounds crazy and I don't know where it all began, but I can't deny that I think about you more than I probably should. I should be thinking about song lyrics but I'm here wondering what you're doing and how you're feeling."

She could hardly believe the words she was reading. Kevin... wanted her. He wanted her a lot.

"I will be back in London when you start your summer hols," she read. "I think maybe you and I should talk to your dad and let him know what's going on. I look forward to hearing from you and I promise to send you something nice from Singapore."

Katie squealed to herself as she finished the letter. This had turned out better than she ever dreamed.

She wanted to tell Caroline and very nearly found herself running back into the Great Hall to show her friend.

She realised with disappointment that she couldn't do that.

The best news of her life and she could not share it with her best friend.

She put the letter back in the envelope and turned to the other two letters. One was from Ashley- she could guess what that one was about.

Sure enough, Ashley told her about meeting with Kevin. She said that she believed Kevin when he said he had real feelings for Katie but that she warned him against hurting her sister. Katie smiled.

The last one was from her parents- telling her instead of going to Brighton that year, they were going to some resort with their grandparents.

She hoped this place wasn't very lame and that she could convince Kevin to visit.

She took his letter out to read again.

She did not notice someone sit down beside her until they cleared their throat. She turned to see Emma smiling at her.

"Hey Em," Katie greeted her.

"She misses you too, you know," Emma said thoughtfully.

"What?" Katie asked.

"Caroline," Emma replied. "She misses you and you miss her. I can't believe hanging out with that Lindsey person is much fun."

Katie shrugged. "She's all right."

"You could try talking to her," Emma said.

"It's a little late for that," Katie sighed.

"It's never too late," Emma said standing up. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baking to do."

Katie smiled. "Save some for me, ok?"

"I will," Emma said. "You know the elves are singing some song to me when I go in there now? Something about "Weasley is our Queen". I kind of like the sound of that."

Katie began to giggle. "You are, Em. You totally are."

Emma grinned. "Bye, Katie."

"Laters, Em." Katie replied.

Katie pocketed her letter and was contemplating going back into the Great Hall when Bradley and Caroline exited.

They didn't see her and Katie tried not to look as Bradley leaned in and kissed Caroline.

"I'll see you later," Bradley told her when they pulled apart.

"I'll let you know when I'm hungry for a snack," Caroline teased.

Bradley gave her one last kiss before heading toward his house tower. Caroline watched him with a dreamy expression on her face.

"You two make a cute couple," a voice said quietly from behind her.

Caroline turned. "Katie?"

Katie shrugged. "I'm just saying."

Caroline studied her for a moment. She could not tell if Katie was being sarcastic or not.

Katie wasn't really sure what else to say to Caroline. Things had never been quite this awkward between them.

Caroline turned and made for the staircase.

"Wait," Katie said, hurrying behind her.

"What?" Caroline asked.

"I just want to... to talk." Katie replied.

"Talk?" Caroline asked setting her broom down. "What for? I think you've said enough."

"Caroline, I didn't do anything," Katie said. "Not like I said I was going to."

Caroline looked at her. "Why not?"

"I guess I just couldn't," Katie admitted. "Not to you."

"How do I know this isn't some trick?" Caroline asked.

"It's not," Katie said. "I swear."

Caroline looked doubtful.

"Come on," Katie said. "We've been friends forever... you could tell if I was lying. You always have been able to tell."

"That's true," Caroline admitted.

"I just..." Katie sighed. She had never been good with apologies. "I'm sorry for the way I've been acting."

"You hurt me, Katie," Caroline said.

"I know," Katie scuffed the heel of her shoe along the floor. "I was... jealous."

"I would do anything for you," Caroline said. "You knew that and you took advantage of it."

"I just... I didn't know why Bradley had me, but he still fancied you." Katie said. "And it drove me mad."

"I didn't tell him about Kevin," Caroline said. "I know you think I did, but I didn't."

"He saw my letter," Katie nodded.

Caroline sat down on the steps and Katie sat down beside her. "I believe that you're sorry, Katie."

"You do?" Katie asked hopefully.

Caroline nodded. "And I have missed you. I have my first boyfriend and I haven't been able to talk about it with you."

"I have a new boyfriend," Katie fished Kevin's letter out of her pocket. "Or at least I will, come summer hols."

Caroline took the letter from Katie and read it. She looked over at her when she was finished. "I'm really happy for you, Katie."

"I can't believe it," Katie glowed as she looked at the letter again. "I mean... I really didn't know he'd ever feel this way about me."

Caroline smiled. '"Well, you have a good heart, Katie."

"Just don't tell anyone," Katie nudged her.

Caroline laughed. "Your secret is safe with me."

"You're my best friend," Katie told her. "You always have been. I'm sorry I was a jerk to you."

"You were," Caroline said. "But you're my best friend, too."

Katie gave her a hug. "Thanks, Caroline."

"We're princesses remember," Caroline said, her voice breaking as she hugged her friend.

Katie laughed. "Of course, Jasmine."

Caroline giggled. "Does that make Bradley Aladdin?"

Katie laughed harder. "The Beast after Belle tells him she loves him. He's all hot then."

Caroline smiled. "I really have missed you, Katie."

"I missed you too," Katie said. "I can't imagine you not being around... and I wouldn't say that to just anyone."

"Lindsey?" Caroline asked teasingly.

"Not even close," Katie shook her head.

Caroline smiled. "So I suppose you've heard about summer then? No Brighton."

"I'm surprised you lot aren't still going," Katie said. "We're going to this place called Hillsdale."

"So are we," Caroline said. "I just heard in the letter from my mum. Apparently, it's also really important to my folks, too."

"What about Bradley?" Katie asked. "Can he go with?"

"I'm going to write my mum and see," Caroline replied. "And what about you and Kevin?"

"Not sure yet," Katie answered. "Hopefully he can make it there."

Caroline opened her mouth to say something when Tegan and Lindsey turned the corner and saw the two girls sitting on the staircase.

Tegan smiled at them but Lindsey wore a scowl on her face.

"What's going on?" Lindsey asked.

"Nothing," Katie said, leaning back on one of the steps.

"Nothing," Caroline said leaning back as well.

"Why?" Lindsey asked, directing her question at Katie.


"Why what?" Katie asked. "Why are Caroline and I sitting here? Why are we talking?"

"Yes," Lindsey said, rolling her eyes.

"We're best friends," Caroline replied.

"I thought I was your best friend," Lindsey ignored Caroline.

"You're a good friend, Linds," Katie corrected her.

This was apparently news to Lindsey as she glared at Caroline.

"Perhaps we could all be friends," Caroline suggested.

"I'm not friends with Gryffindors," Lindsey said icily.

"That's kind of archaic way of thinking," Caroline said. "Besides, Katie's grandfather was a Gryffindor. You don't hold that against her, do you?"

"Katie is a Slytherin," Lindsey stated. "That's all that matters."

Tegan smiled. "I think it's great." She looked at Caroline. "I have a few classes with your sister."

"She's mentioned that," Caroline replied, moving over so Tegan could join them on the steps.

Lindsey rolled her eyes. "Tegan!"

"Linds, stop being over dramatic," Katie said. "We can all be social together."

Lindsey sighed and reluctantly sat down. "Fine."

"So," Tegan said. "Katie, what will you do when you see Kevin? What did his letter say?"

Katie grinned and handed the younger girl her letter. "See for yourself..."

Tegan's eyes widened as she read the words. "Wow.... Katie. It sounds like he's in love with you!"

"It does, doesn't it?" Katie asked happily.

"It's pretty incredible," Caroline nodded. "Falling for you over letters..."

"It would make a perfect film!" Tegan exclaimed.

"That is a brilliant idea," Katie's eyes widened.

Caroline giggled. "You do know Seamus Finnigan, the world famous director!"

"I'm going to tell him next time I see him," Katie said.

"Katie Malfoy starring as 'Katie Malfoy'," Caroline said dramatically.

"And you'd all be in it too," Katie laughed.

"Of course," Caroline said grinning at her.

"I think I'm going to go write back to him," Katie said, standing up.

Caroline smiled. "I'm really happy for you, Katie."

"Thanks," Katie glowed.

As Katie walked back to the Slytherin dungeons, she could not help thinking how perfect things were. She and Kevin were going to be a couple and she had made up with Caroline.

Lindsey and Tegan followed her. "I don't' get it," Lindsey said after a moment. "A half hour ago you were angry at her, and suddenly you just make up with her?"

"I don't think I have to justify anything to you, Lindsey," Katie replied.

"What's so wrong with them being friends?" Tegan asked.

"Let's see," Lindsey said. "For one thing, she's a Slytherin. For another, she's ...poor."

"She is NOT poor," Katie said heatedly.

"She's a Weasley," Lindsey said disdainfully. "Don't they all live in a shoe or something?"

"You're not going to get me to hate her," Katie said coolly.

"I'm not trying to," Lindsey said. "I'm just saying that it's social suicide to befriend her after this."

"You think anyone at this school would dare to try and cross me?" Katie asked. "That's not what you're planning on doing is it?"

"What?" Lindsey asked, shaking her head. "Of--of course not."

"Good," Katie replied.

"I'm just concerned," Lindsey added.

"I will never let anyone take me down," Katie said. "Including Jemima's nasty little sister."

"There's no way that would happen," Tegan said loyally.

Katie smiled at her. "That's absolutely correct. Now, who wants to help me write my letter?"

"I have to work on an essay," Lindsey said.

"I'll help," Tegan volunteered.

"Why don't we help Linds with her essay first," Katie said generously. "And then we can write the letter."

Lindsey looked at her in surprise. "YOU want to help me with my essay?"

"We ARE friends," Katie said, not adding that this was mostly due to her good mood.

"Oh," Lindsey said still taken aback at the selfless gesture. "Thanks...Katie."

"You are welcome," Katie said, feeling positively euphoric. She and Caroline were friends again and Kevin cared about her just as much as she cared about him. Life was as pretty close to perfect as it could get at the moment and Katie would not have had it any other way.