Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter checks in with Harry/Hermione at the hospital. Will a visit from Ashley help him? And how are things at Hogwarts with the younger generation? Please read and review!

A little while later, they arrived at St. Mungos with food for Hermione and Harry. Her grandfather was in a therapy session, but her grandmother was waiting for him in the room. Hermione smiled warmly at her granddaughter. Ashley noticed how tired her grandmother looked and she felt tears well up in her eyes. "How---how is he today, Grandma?" Ashley asked.

"He's all right," Hermione answered, yawning. "He's frustrated."

"How about you?" Ashley asked. "Have you gotten any sleep?"

"A little," Hermione hugged her granddaughter.

"Grandma, you should get some sleep," Ashley chastised. "Go home and freshen up."

"I don't want to leave him," Hermione shook her head.

"We brought some food, Minister Potter," Zander said.

"I thought something smelled good," Hermione said.

"Fresh from the Leaky Cauldron," Ashley said. She decided not to mention the run in with Rita Skeeter.

"We have enough for both you and Mr. Potter," Zander said.

"Thank you, Zander," Hermione said gratefully. "You and Ashley were very kind to do that for us."

"My mum will be by in a bit," Ashley said.

Hermione nodded. "You just missed Ethan and Maddie."

Ashley frowned. "Did they have the kids with them?"

"Just Gwyn," Hermione replied. "Luna and Ron are watching the babies and Kiera's at school."

"I want to try and see everyone while I'm here," Ashley said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I don't know when I'll be back... maybe not until Christmas."

"That's so far away," Zander commented without thinking.

"Too far," Hermione agreed. "But we're happy for you, doing what you get to do, Ash."

Ashley smiled. "It's been great so far. I'll have to show you some of my sketches later and some of my photos."

"Your grandfather would probably love to see them," Hermione said.

"I still can't believe this has happened to him," Ashley commented, sitting down on the empty bed.

"It's like I keep telling him," Hermione said. "I'd rather have him like this than... the alternative."

"I couldn't agree more," Saffron said, entering the room with Edward and Andrew. Edward squirmed in her arms when he saw Ashley.

"Ash-ee!" Edward squealed.

Ashley giggled. "Hi Ed!"

He reached for her and Ashley took him from Saffron. "Saffy, he's getting so big!" Ashley gushed, hugging him to her.

"I know," Saffron replied. "He grows too fast for me."

Andrew clapped Zander on the back. "Good to see you, mate."

"Hey Andrew," Zander said. He had always been a little in awe around him and RJ Weasley and that hadn't worn off in the last few years.

"Where's Dad?" Saffron asked looking around.

"He should be done with his therapy session soon," Hermione said.

"I was trying to convince Grandma to go home and get some sleep," Ashley said.

Saffron crossed her arms. "Mum... you said yesterday you'd go home and rest up."

Hermione waved her hand dismissively. "I'm fine, Saffy."

"You're exhausted," Saffron countered. "Doesn't she look exhausted, Andrew?"

Andrew suddenly became very interested in the food on the table.

"He's playing it safe," Ashley smiled as she hugged Edward to her.

Saffron put her hands on her hips and looked at her mother. "Mum, I'm worried about you."

"Saffron, I am staying with your father," Hermione said firmly.

"And people wonder where I got my stubbornness from," Saffron commented.

"They don't have to look far," Andrew muttered. Zander and Ashley shared an amused look.

"Andrew agrees with me," Saffron said, smiling at her husband. "Mum, just go home for a half hour and freshen up. We won't leave until you come back."

Hermione sighed. "Okay, but I'm waiting until your father gets back from therapy."

"Maybe if you hurry you'll be back before he is," Saffron said.

"She's not going to give it a rest, Grandma," Ashley said.

Hermione sighed. "You are too much like me, Saffron. Fine. I'll go home and shower and be right back here."

Saffron grinned. "See? If more people listened to me, the world would be a much happier, calmer place."

Hermione fought a smile. "Ten minutes."

"A small victory," Saffron said. "But a victory just the same." She gave her mother a hug. "I'm just worried about you, Mum."

"I'll be just fine," Hermione replied. "Who's the parent here?"

Saffron laughed. "Get out of here."

"Nice, Saffy," Andrew told his wife after Hermione left.

"What?" Saffron asked. "She hasn't left here since Dad was admitted."

"Maybe she'll take a kip when she gets home," Ashley said, still cuddling Edward in her arms.

"I hope so," Saffron said. She leaned against Andrew.

Ashley smiled at her aunt and uncle. "How's Ellie?"

Saffron grinned at the mention of her daughter. "Good. She keeps telling me she wants to draw just as good as her cousin, Ashley."

Andrew chuckled. "You should see her stick people."

Zander laughed. "They probably look better than mine."

"How is your internship?" Saffron asked him.

"I'm learning a lot," Zander replied. "And it's been great..."

"Have you written anything new lately?" Ashley asked him.

Zander nodded. "Yeah. I'll let you listen to the demos if you'd like."

"I would love that," Ashley said. They all stood up as the door opened and Harry was wheeled inside.

Edward clapped his hands together. "Gampa!"

Harry seemed surprised to see them all. "Where's Hermione?"

"We finally convinced her to go home and get some sleep and freshen up," Saffron said. "But, she'll be back. And Zander and Ashley brought you some food."

Harry hadn't noticed his granddaughter sitting there. "Ashley! When did you get home?"

"Last night!" Ashley exclaimed, handing Edward back to Saffron so she could hug her grandfather.

Harry managed a smile as the healer went to transfer him from the chair to the bed. "Easy!" he barked.

"Sorry," The healer said hastily.

"This is ridiculous," Harry grumbled. "What is the hold-up? I want to start walking again!"

"Give it time, Mr. Potter," the healer said.

"I don't HAVE time," Harry snapped.

"Daddy, you have time," Saffron said trying to calm him. "You survived."

"Time," Edward repeated.

"See?" Saffron asked.

Harry lay back against the pillows and Ashley gingerly gave him a hug. "I'm so glad you're okay, Grandpa." she said.

Harry managed a smile. "Thanks, Ashley."

"Are you hungry?" she asked. "You must be."

Harry nodded.

"Zander and I brought you and Grandma some stew from the Leaky Cauldron," Ashley said as Zander handed her the bag. Harry did not say anything as Ashley placed the food before him.

"Dad?" Saffron asked, concerned. "Are you all right?"

"Just fine," Harry muttered.

"Eat," Edward said to his grandfather.

Even Harry had to smile at that. "Okay, mate."

Ashley felt more relieved as Harry began to eat his stew. She felt someone reach for her hand and she smiled when she saw it was Zander. His presence here was comforting and it felt so familiar, like something she could always depend on.

"You did well, Miss Malfoy," he said softly.

"It's hard seeing him like this," she whispered. "Unable to really do anything."

Zander nodded. He knew how much Ashley loved her grandfather and how hard this must be for her.

Hermione chose that moment to arrive back and Saffron was relieved to see her looking a bit more refreshed.

Ashley and Zander excused themselves, leaving Saffron, Andrew and Edward alone with Hermione and Harry. Hermione pecked her husband on the cheek. "How was your therapy session? " she asked.

"You mean where they sat and poured potions and cast spells on my legs?" Harry asked irritably.

"Yes," Hermione said calmly.

"They won't let me walk," Harry snapped.

"It's not that they won't," Hermione said. "Harry, it's that you can't."

"Yes I can," Harry said stubbornly.

Edward crawled over to where Hermione was standing and tugged on her skirt.

"Oh my," Hermione looked down at her grandson. "Hello, darling."

"Up!" Edward held his arms up.

Hermione smiled and lifted him into her arms. "Here's a face I can't say no to." He beamed at her and put his arms around her neck. Hermione felt better as she kissed her grandson's cheek.

"We'll bring Ellie by after school," Saffron promised.

"I don't want any more visitors today," Harry said angrily. "I want to try walking."

Saffron sat down. "Daddy, the healers said that you shouldn't push yourself too fast."

"It's my body," Harry said. "I know how hard I can push myself."

"How about the magic?" Saffron asked. "Any change on that?"

"His levels have risen a bit," Hermione said.

Saffron grinned. "Daddy, that's fantastic!"

He shrugged. "Still can't do anything."

Hermione looked at Saffron. "Sweetheart, would you go down to the cafeteria and get a cup of coffee for me?" She wanted a moment alone with her husband.

"Sure," Saffron took her son. "Come on Andrew."

"Thanks," Hermione said.

When they were alone, she looked back at Harry. "What is going on?"

"Nothing," Harry replied tersely.

"Harry, you're alive," Hermione said. "I'd rather you never walk again than not be here at all."

"You don't understand," Harry grumbled. "None of you do."

"Help me understand," Hermione said. "Please. I just want to help you, Harry." Harry just shook his head. "Why not?" she asked.

"Everyone expects me to be grateful to be alive," Harry said angrily. "I can't walk, Hermione! I can't do magic! What the hell am I good for?"

"No one in this room loves you because you can walk and do magic, or the other way around," Hermione said. "We love you because you're important to us."

Harry ran a hand through his hair. "I wish I was home."

"Why don't I see what I can do about that?" she asked.

Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Why can't we move you home?" Hermione asked. "You can recuperate there, and we can have the healers come to us. We'll hire on more staff so we have people around the clock."

"I'd like that," Harry said quietly.

"Okay," Hermione brushed his hair back. "Let's get you out of here."

Harry put his hand over hers. "This is the most frustrating thing I've ever had to go through, Hermione. I'm sorry that I'm taking it out on you."

"I know you're frustrated," Hermione said. "But I just want to help you."

Harry nodded. "I know."

"Don't push me out," Hermione said gently.

He realised how hard this must be for his wife. He had been too busy feeling sorry for himself. "I promise," he said.

Hermione leaned in and gave him a kiss. "I'll go speak to the healers now."

"Thanks, my love," Harry said.

"I'll be right back," she smiled at him.

Once he was alone, Harry held up his hand and muttered a simple incantation. He waved his hand, but nothing happened.

"Damn it," he swore in frustration. He'd taken his magic for granted, as it had been a part of his life for so long. Lestrange and Josephine Hilson had taken something very important from him. But he would do everything in his power to get it all back. He was Harry Potter, after all. He could do anything when he put his mind to it.

*** *** ***

Katie walked into the Great Hall that evening holding Bradley's hand. He had been quite a shoulder to lean on these last few days in light of what had happened with her grandfather. Though Katie was worried about her grandfather, she had to admit she liked everyone coming up to her to offer their sympathy and see how she was doing.

She especially liked that Bradley had been so attentive to her. They had spent all their free time together and he was doing his best to keep her spirits up.

He gave her a quick kiss before heading to the Ravenclaw table. If there was one rule Katie hated about Hogwarts is that you had to eat all meals with your house. She remembered how when her aunt was at school students could often switch tables but it had started getting out of hand, and the headmaster had had to put a stop to it. She took her usual seat at the head of the table with Lindsey on her right side.

"How are you holding up?" Lindsey asked her.

"Fine," Katie said. "I would be better if Bradley were sitting here..."

"I meant about your grandfather," Lindsey said. "I was wondering if you had heard anything."

"I know you meant him," Katie replied. "And he's all right... he still can't walk, but I guess they're letting him go home to try and recuperate there."

One of the first-year Slytherins looked sympathetically at her. "Can I get you anything?"

"No thank you," Katie said. "But it was awfully nice of you to offer. What was your name again?"

"Tegan," the girl replied.

Katie nodded. "Why don't you join Lindsey and me tonight?"

Tegan beamed at her. "Really?"

"She wouldn't ask if she wasn't serious," Lindsey said.

Tegan nodded eagerly.

Katie filled her plate as the food appeared in front of them. "Honestly, these house elves never think of calories, do they?"

Lindsey shook her head. "No. Maybe we should suggest something to your mum?"

"Good idea," Katie nodded. "Tegan, it's never too early to start worrying about your figure."

The younger girl nodded as if taking mental notes. Katie liked this girl. She had a feeling she would be useful. Katie saw Caroline and Emma enter the Great Hall and she gave them a wave. "Late for a meal, Em?" Katie called out teasingly. "Thought I'd never see the day!"

"I hate homework!" Emma complained.

"Me too," Katie agreed. She looked at Caroline. "Speaking of which, I was wondering if you might help me on an essay..."

"Sure," Caroline replied. "After dinner?"

Katie nodded. "I'll meet you in the library. Thanks, Caroline."

Caroline smiled as Emma pulled her over to the Gryffindor table.

"I have a class with her," Tegan said to Katie. "She gets into loads of trouble!"

"Really?" Katie asked.

Tegan nodded. "But, she's funny."

"Em's really sweet," Katie replied. "I've grown up with them."

"They're sweet because they're poor," a haughty voice chimed in from the other side of the table.

Katie raised an eyebrow and looked over to see Angelica Brocklehurst glaring at them. "What did you say?" Katie asked her.

"Are you deaf, Malfoy?" the second year asked.

Katie looked at Lindsey for confirmation that someone was actually speaking to her that way. "Ignore her," Lindsey said. "She's Jemima's clone."

Katie shot the girl a warning look before returning her attention to her food.

"What's wrong with the Weasleys?" Tegan asked.

"Nothing," Katie replied. "Nothing is wrong with them. They're great people unlike some others I know."

"I could say the same for you after what you did to my sister," Angelica said icily.

"Your sister got what she deserved," Katie shot back.

"She got beaten at her own game," Lindsey added.

Angelica rolled her eyes. "So you say."

"And I say," Lindsey replied. "I was there."

"As was I," Katie said. "And this conversation is boring. Now, as I was saying, Tegan..."

"Jemima told me some things about you," Angelica interrupted. "How you couldn't read--"

Katie put her hands on the table and the table shook from the force of it. "Listen, you half-wit. I don't know if you're aware of this, but you do not want to be on my bad side." Everyone looked startled at Katie's display of wandless magic, including a few Hufflepuffs at the next table over.

"Wow," Tegan whispered.

"I'm not afraid of you," Angelica said, but without much conviction.

"You should be," Lindsay warned.

"Don't mess with me," Katie said coldly. "You WILL regret it."

"Whatever," Angelica said getting to her feet. "At least I'm not embarrassing Slytherin with your hand-me down friends and Ravenclaw boyfriend."

"You're just jealous," Katie said. "Because I'm not afraid to have friends outside our house."

Angelica tossed her hair and stalked out of the Great Hall.

"Follower," Katie muttered, sitting down.

Lindsey nodded in agreement. "Lesson Number One, Tegan. Don't associate with people like her."

Tegan shook her head. "I won't."

Katie was about to add something when a brown owl suddenly dropped a letter in her lap.

Post did not normally come at night so Katie hoped it was not something bad about her grandfather. But, then again, her mother would never let her know by owl post.

"What's this?" she wondered, opening it up.

"Katie, I'm in Rome right now and just heard the news about your grandfather. I know how much he means to you and Ashley so I wanted to write to let you know I'm thinking of you. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. Kevin"

A smile spread across her face and a tiny thrill shot through her. "It's from Kevin," she told Lindsey.

Lindsey grinned. "Really? Wow..."

"Who's Kevin?" Tegan asked.

"He's perfect," Katie said dreamily.

"He used to date her sister Ashley," Lindsey told Tegan. "You've probably heard of him--"

"The lead singer of Stone's Throw?" Tegan asked in awe.

"The one and only," Katie nodded.

Katie looked at the letter once more. She could not believe he had actually written to her. He was on tour for Merlin's sake, Katie thought. He had taken time out from that to write to her.

She smiled and tucked the letter into her pocket. Perhaps she'd write him back later. After dinner, she rejoined Bradley. He had a prefect meeting but he had agreed to walk her to the library to meet Caroline. She gave his hand a squeeze.

"What was going on at your table?" he asked her.

"Unnecessary drama," Katie replied, deciding not to tell him about Kevin's letter. "Some second year thinking she could take me on."

"Doesn't she know better?" he joked.

Katie laughed. "She should."

Bradley put his arm around her. "That's my girl."

Katie leaned against him and felt a twinge of guilt for reacting the way she had to Kevin's letter. "So will you walk me back to my house after your meeting?" she asked.

Bradley held the library door open for her. "Of course." He followed her over to the table where Caroline was waiting. "Hiya, Caroline," he said warmly.

Caroline smiled. "Hi Bradley. What's up?"

"Nothing much," he replied. "I was going to congratulate you on the match yesterday. You guys were great against Hufflepuff."

Caroline's smile turned into a grin. "Thanks. It was a fun match."

"She's being modest," Katie said proudly. "If it wasn't for her, Gryffindor would not have won."

Caroline blushed. "Well... our Seeker managed to catch the Snitch--"

"And she's an even better friend because she's going to help me with my essay," Katie interjected, eager to get the attention back on herself.

"Right," Caroline nodded. "I already got some books you might need."

Katie beamed at her. "She's the greatest, isn't she, Bradley?"

"Sure," he nodded. "The best."

Caroline blushed and looked down at her books.

"I'll see you later," Katie stepped in front of Caroline and smiled up at him. "Have fun at your meeting..."

Bradley gave her a kiss. "I'll see you in about an hour."

"Okay," Katie gave him another kiss, keeping him close for a moment. Caroline looked away.

"Bye," Bradley said, stumbling over a book someone had left on the floor. Katie giggled.

"Are you okay?" Caroline asked.

"I'm fantastic," Katie said. "Why?"

"I meant Bradley," Caroline replied. "Since he almost fell."

"I'm fine," Bradley said. "Thanks, Caroline."

Caroline smiled at him before turning to her books.

Katie saw this and frowned. Did Caroline still fancy her boyfriend? She glared momentarily at her brunette friend. She knew Caroline would never try to make a pass at Bradley but she had a feeling that Caroline fancied him a bit too.

"So," Katie said unpacking her books. "You--um, do you have your eye on anyone?"

"What?" Caroline seemed startled by the question.

"Do you fancy anyone?" Katie asked.

Caroline quickly shook her head.

"We should work on that," Katie said. She turned to get something else out of her bag, not realising the letter from Kevin had slipped out on the table.

"What's that?" Caroline asked.

"What?" Katie asked following Caroline's gaze. "Oh! That's just a letter from a friend."

"Oh," Caroline replied.

Katie decided she would confide in her best friend. "Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Cross my heart," Caroline nodded.

"Kevin wrote to me!" Katie gushed. "Can you believe it? He was worried about me because of what happened with my grandfather."

"That was nice," Caroline replied. "I wonder if he wrote to Ashley, too."

"I doubt it since they didn't have the nicest of break-ups," Katie said.

"It was still nice of him to write to you," Caroline said. She wondered why Katie was so excited about this if she had Bradley for support, but she decided not to question it.

"I know, right?" Katie asked. "I'm going to write him back tonight. I mean, he's on tour! And he took time to write to me!"

"That's really cool," Caroline smiled at her.

Katie also told her about Angelica's comments. "I really do not want to deal with this right now. Jemima graduates and then I have that clone pop up in her place."

"Why would she just assume my family is poor?" Caroline asked. "I mean... what my mum and dad make is no one else's business."

"And your robes are not second-hand," Katie pointed out. "Don't worry. I put that troll in her place."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "I'm glad Em didn't have to hear that."

"Me too," Katie said. "Speaking of which, where is my favourite little redhead?"

"She decided she didn't have enough at dinner, so she was going to sneak into the kitchens then go back to the tower," Caroline shook her head.

Katie laughed. "Em is something else, Caroline."

"And one of a kind," Caroline giggled.

"We couldn't handle more than one of her," Katie said. "Okay, let's get to work. I have to write a six-foot essay on the many uses of Wolfsbane."

"I found this book that will help a lot." Caroline said. "You can probably get most of your essay from here."

Katie beamed at her. "Caroline, you are a lifesaver!"

"I just like to read and I come across a lot of things," Caroline said modestly.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," Katie said taking the book from her friend.

The two girls worked in companionable silence for a little while, the only sound was Katie's quill scratching across her parchment. She sighed as she looked at Kevin's letter. With everything that had been going on and with her relationship with Bradley, she had honestly not given much thought to the older boy. But, this letter changed everything.

She pulled it closer and read it again. Katie couldn't wait to write him back. The only thing now was to think of what to say. She hurriedly wrote back to him and folded the parchment into her pocket.

"How's your essay?" Caroline asked.

"Fine," Katie said. "Um---actually, I've forgotten something in my room. I'll be right back. Will you keep an eye on my stuff?"

"Sure," Caroline nodded.

Katie practically ran out of the library and Caroline shook her head. She returned her attention to her Potions homework. "Caroline?" Bradley asked, tapping her on her shoulder.

"Oh!" she said. "You startled me!"

"Sorry," Bradley said, taking Katie's vacated seat. "Where's Katie?"

"She said she had to run back to her room for a minute," Caroline said. "She'll be right back."

"My meeting finished early," Bradley explained.

"I wonder if I'll get named a Prefect next year," Caroline said.

"You?" Bradley asked, teasingly. "What with you getting into trouble all the time..."

"Oh right," Caroline joked. "Me, on the straight and narrow."

"I think you will," Bradley said. "I'll put in a good word for you."

"If you think that would help, thanks," Caroline nodded.

Bradley smiled. "You have some ink on your nose---"

"Oh I do?" Caroline asked. "Yuck, sorry."

"Here, let me help," Bradley said reaching into his pocket for his handkerchief.

Caroline blushed as he reached over and wiped her nose for her. "Thanks," she said softly.

"No problem," Bradley said.

"So um… Katie will be right back," Caroline said again as she shuffled a few of her papers.

"She seems okay, right?" Bradley asked. "I'm worried about her since this happened with her grandfather. She wishes she could go home to see him."

"I think she'll be all right," Caroline nodded. "I mean, he's alive, and he and her grandma seem determined to get him back on his feet."

Bradley nodded. "Yeah. I just don't like seeing her sad."

"Me either," Caroline said. "She really does care about her family."

"It's one of the things I like the best about her," Bradley said. "And she cares about you, too. You know, she said that she was glad that the two of you were friends again."

Caroline smiled. "It has been nice."

"We should do something nice for her," Bradley said thoughtfully. "Maybe this weekend in Hogsmeade."

"That's a great idea," Caroline agreed.

Bradley grinned just as Katie came back into the library looking out of breath.

"Hey," she brightened upon seeing him. "Did your meeting get out early?"

Bradley reached for her hand. "It did."

"I'm still working on my essay," Katie said. "Want to help me?"

"Sure," Bradley said. "Where'd you run off to anyway?"

"I sent a letter to my sister," Katie lied. "She---she's gone back on her tour. Vienna."

"Vienna's nice," Bradley said. "My uncle lives there."

"Really?" Katie asked. "This is the first time Ash's ever been. She was really looking forward to it."

"She likes to draw, doesn't she?" Bradley asked. "Vienna will be a dream come true."

"I hope so," Katie said thinking of her sister. She just hoped that whatever Ashley was doing now, she was happy. And perhaps had moved on from whatever feelings she had for Zander.