Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter is a good one! As one couple celebrates, another couple ...well one-half of that couple plans a surprise! Next week, we will have a big announcement to make so make sure to read next week's chapter! We hope you enjoy!

Tony's trial lasted a week. It was the longest week of Stephanie's life. She had to relive every horrible thing Tony had done all while feeling his eyes on her. Luckily at the end of it all, the judge had sentenced Tony to jail for attempted murder. She hadn't felt this free in a very, very long time.

For the first time in what seemed like forever, she did not have to look over her shoulder.

"Tonight, we will celebrate," Gabriel said, putting his arm around her.

Stephanie grinned. "I couldn't have made it through any of it without you."

Gabriel hugged her to him. "That was all you on the stand."

"I love you," she said softly.

"Love you too," he smiled at her. "And I'm really proud of you."

"I'm proud of me too " Stephanie said.

Gabriel laughed. "The sky's the limit tonight. You pick where we go."

Stephanie looked up at him. "Anywhere as long as we're together."

Gabriel gave her a kiss. "Let me talk to my dad and see if he can pull some strings."

Stephanie smiled. "Gabe---"

Gabriel pulled his cell phone out and held his finger up for a moment before walking away a few steps. Stephanie sat down on a bench and closed her eyes for a moment. Things were pretty close to perfect right now.

"Okay," Gabriel came back over. "Dinner at Chateau Marmont tonight."

Stephanie gaped at him. "Gabe!"

"Celebrate," Gabriel picked her up and spun her around.

Stephanie laughed and held on tightly to him.

"Let's go back and get ready," Gabriel said. "This is great. We don't have to worry about anything anymore."

"Except you finishing med school," Stephanie said. "And me getting my degree."

"That's nothing," Gabriel said with a grin. "Compared to this last week?"

"If we can get through that, we can make it through anything," Stephanie agreed.

They headed back to their apartment. "Dad said he would get us reservations at six," he said. "And he and Lavender would like to join us for a drink."

"That would be great," Stephanie said. She wanted to thank them in person for all they had done.

"Cool," Gabriel said. "I'm going to take a quick shower."

Stephanie gave him a kiss.

"Be out in a minute," he squeezed her hand.

Stephanie took off her shoes and sat down on the edge of the bed. She closed her eyes and thought of all that had happened.

Tony was gone. He was in jail for a very, very long time and couldn't do anything to her anymore.

"Steph?" Gabriel called out.

"Hmm?" she responded.

"You could join me in here," he called out.

Stephanie smiled. "Is it not hot enough for you?"

"Not at all," Gabriel said. "But, then again, we don't want to be late."

Stephanie laughed. "If I come in there we might wind up being late!"

"Later then?" Gabriel asked.

"Yes," she said. "Promise."

"Could you at least bring me a towel?" he called out.

Stephanie retrieved one out of the hall closet. "Need anything else?"

"Kiss?" Gabriel asked.

Stephanie laughed. "Of course," she said, pressing her lips to his.

"Love you," Gabriel said softly.

"Love you too," she replied. "Hurry up in there would you?"

He laughed. "Nearly done."

Stephanie went to figure out what she was wearing that night. Her selection of clothes was pretty meagre and she decided she would need to go shopping soon to pick out a few new things.

She decided on a black dress that she had worn only a couple of times.

"All yours," Gabriel said, coming out with the towel around his waist.

Stephanie grinned. "All nice and clean!"

She put her arms around him. "You smell good..."

"Not as good as you," Gabriel said nuzzling her neck.

"I'll smell better when I get out of the shower," she said. "Be right back."

Gabriel gave her one last kiss before she disappeared into the bathroom. He smiled as he thought of the look of relief on her face when the guilty verdict was read.

In all the time he'd known her, he had never seen her look like that. It was as if the biggest weight in the world was lifted from her shoulders.

His mobile phone rang and Gabriel reached for it. "Hey, dad."

"Hey son," Seamus replied. "Lavender and I can come by and pick you up."

"Sure," Gabriel said. "I just hope she's okay with hearing about you and Lavender."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Seamus said. "We'll be by in an hour."

"Okay," Gabriel said. "And thanks for all your help during the trial."

"We're glad things worked out," Seamus said. "Very glad."

"You and me both," Gabriel said. "I'll see you in an hour."

"Was that your phone?" Stephanie called out from the bathroom.

Gabriel stepped back into the bathroom. "Yeah, it was my dad. He and Lavender will pick us up in an hour."

"I'll try to hurry," Stephanie called to him. "It won't take me long, okay?"

"It's fine," he reassured her.

Stephanie loved Gabriel's stepmother, but always felt a but underdressed around her. Lavender was so glamorous and put together, even early in the morning. But, she was one of the nicest people Stephanie had ever met and she was never anything but polite.

She put her dress on and finished her makeup. Hopefully her hair would behave. Tony used to tell her what to wear and how to fix her hair. Stephanie forced herself to stop thinking of Tony. He would never hurt her again.

She gave herself one last look before stepping out of the bathroom.

"Wow," Gabriel eyed her appreciatively.

Stephanie turned and looked at him. "What?"

"You look amazing," Gabriel said. "You really do. Did you just buy that dress?"

Stephanie smiled and shook her head. "I've worn it before."

"Oh," he said sheepishly. "Sorry."

"You've never seen me in it," Stephanie reassured him.

"Either way, it looks fantastic," Gabriel said. "Come on."

"You look rather handsome yourself," Stephanie said giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

"Had to, for you." he replied. "Dad just texted me and told me they're out front. I can't believe they're early."

Stephanie laughed. "Almost like magic, eh?"

Gabriel coughed. "Uh... yeah. Magic..."

Stephanie grabbed her wrap and bag and followed him out of the apartment.

Seamus noticed his son looked nervous. "Alright, Gabe?" he asked, patting his shoulder reassuringly.

"Fine," Gabriel said. "Thanks for doing this, Dad."

Seamus nodded. "It'll be all right," he said quietly.

Lavender smiled warmly at the younger woman. "That's a beautiful dress, Stephanie. You look lovely."

"Thank you," Stephanie said, feeling relieved. "I was sort of saving it for a special occasion like tonight."

"Tonight is definitely a night for celebration," Lavender said.

"That it is," Seamus nodded. He rapped on the window separating them from the driver. "The Marmont."

Gabriel reached for his girlfriend's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"So tell us about court," Lavender smoothed her skirt. "I know what Seamus told me, but what did Tony do when the judge gave the verdict?"

"Turned to look at me," Stephanie said. "He didn't say anything but I knew what he was trying to say."

"Yeah well he was wrong," Gabriel replied. "He's not getting out of jail."

"And you can get on with your life now," Seamus said.

"We both can," Gabriel squeezed Stephanie's hand.

Stephanie smiled.

"Stephanie," Seamus said after looking at Gabriel for approval. "There is something that I think you should know since you're important to my son."

"What's that?" Stephanie asked curiously.

"There's something about us, Lavender and me, I mean," Seamus said. "This is never easy to hear. I mean, my own father did not take it too well when my mother told him what she really was."

"I... I don't understand." Stephanie looked between all of them.

"I'm a witch," Lavender said gently. "And Seamus is a wizard."

Stephanie stared at them. "Magic?"

Seamus nodded. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wand. Lavender pulled hers from her bag.

"Oh my God!" Stephanie said in surprise. She subconsciously leaned against Gabriel.
Stephanie watched in awe as Lavender muttered some words causing the purse in Stephanie's lap to levitate.

"It's okay," Gabriel reassured her.

"How---how did you do that?" Stephanie asked.

"Magic," Lavender said. "Seamus and I have the ability. Gabriel doesn't."

"He's a Muggle," Seamus explained. "That's what we call non-magical people. My father was a Muggle too, but my mother was a witch. Gabriel's mother was a Muggle, too."

"Might mean any kid I have could be magical," Gabriel tried to explain. "We won't know for awhile... I mean--"

Stephanie stared expressionlessly at him.

"Are.... are you okay?" he asked tentatively.

"It's not everyday you hear something like this," Stephanie finally managed.

"Gabe's reaction wasn't so good," Seamus said. "He tried to leave."

"Well, I had just found you and told you I was your son," Gabriel pointed out. "I thought you were making it up to get rid of me."

"Really?" Stephanie asked in amazement.

"I was trying to be honest with my new-found son," Seamus said. "And might I add, Stephanie is handling it better than you did."

"It's a little overwhelming," she admitted. "But if Gabe's okay with it--"

"I am," Gabriel reassured her. "It took awhile, but I am. And parts of it are really cool."

"Like what?" she asked. "Aside from the obvious?"

"Well," Lavender said with a grin. "If I was tired of being blonde, I could just..." Stephanie watched as Lavender tapped her wand to her hair and the woman's hair turned from blonde to a dark black.

Stephanie's jaw dropped open.

"That wasn't exactly what I was talking about," Gabriel laughed. "The two of them can actually appear and disappear at random. They call it apparition."

"Is... is that how you got to the hospital so quickly the day he was shot?" Stephanie asked gingerly.

Seamus nodded. "It definitely came in handy that day."

"It's pretty incredible," Stephanie didn't realise how tightly she was holding onto Gabriel's hand.

"Okay?" Gabriel asked. "I just wanted you to know because you're the most important person in the world to me and I don't want us to have any secrets."

Stephanie looked at him. "You wouldn't ever lie to me," she said softly.

"Never," Gabriel said.

She smiled at him. "Okay... it's a lot to take in... but I can handle it."

"Which is what brings us to another question we had," Seamus said. "Right, Lavender?" He looked over at his wife, who was busy staring at her reflection in the window. "Lavender?"

Lavender blushed. "Sorry, I was just wondering why I never tried black hair before. I look fabulous!"

"Of course, dear." Seamus said dryly.

Lavender shook her head. "Sorry. What were you saying?"

"This summer we've been invited to a resort in England," Seamus said. "We'd love it if you could join us."

"You want me to go?" Stephanie asked.

"As our guest," Lavender replied.

"I'd love that," Stephanie replied.

"Wonderful," Lavender beamed. "Have you got a passport?"

Stephanie shook her head. "No."

"We can take care of that," Seamus said. "You'll get to meet a lot of Lavender's family. We'd also like to take you to Ireland to meet my parents."

"They're going to love you," Gabriel reassured her.

"I hope so," Stephanie said nervously.

"They will," Lavender said. "They're crazy about their grandson."

"We'll have a great time," Gabriel promised her. "Despite the rain, England's really nice."

"Thank you for inviting me," Stephanie said. "I'd love to go."

"Wonderful," Lavender said. "I'll set up all the details. Just get me a picture of yourself in the next few days for your passport."

Stephanie nodded and tried to process all that she had learned.

"You okay?" Gabriel leaned in and asked when Seamus and Lavender began their own conversation. "If you aren't, I understand."

Stephanie nodded. "Yeah, I'm okay. It's just not everyday you find out something like this about your boyfriend's parents."

"I know," he said. "But thank you, for understanding why I couldn't tell you before."

"It means a lot to me that you told me now," Stephanie said touching his cheek.

"I love you," Gabriel said as the car stopped. "I love you so much, Steph."

Stephanie gave him a kiss. "I love you, too."

A doorman opened the car door for them and offered Stephanie his hand. "Miss?"

Stephanie smiled and gave him her hand. "Thank you."

Gabriel had only been here once and looked around at the ivy covered castle. "This place is cool." Stephanie could only look in awe.

"The bar's just this way," Seamus said, ignoring some paparazzi lingering on the sidewalk.

Stephanie took his hand and followed him. "So, you're not magical at all, huh?"

"Sorry to disappoint," Gabriel said.

Stephanie laughed. "You could never disappoint me."

"I hope not," Gabriel said as they followed Seamus and Lavender to a table under the tree covered courtyard. "I mean... sometimes I tend to forget to have a life, when I get involved with school and work."

"Like father like son," Lavender teased.

"You're one to talk," Seamus replied.

"Yes, yes," Lavender said swatting at him.

"What do you want to drink?" Seamus asked his son and Stephanie.

"Champagne?" Gabriel suggested. "We are celebrating, right?"

"You bet," Seamus said, ordering a few bottles of Cristal.

"Thanks, Mr. Finnigan," Stephanie said.

"If you're hungry, order something to eat," Seamus urged her.

"Come on, Steph," Gabriel said. "You didn't eat anything all day."

"Okay," Stephanie looked at the menu. Her eyes widened at the prices but she didn't say anything.

Gabriel put his arm around her. "Someday we'll be celebrating in YOUR restaurant, Steph."

She smiled. "I hope so. It'd be amazing to own a place like this."

"Just remember us when you've made it big," Lavender said to her.

"Are you kidding?" Stephanie asked. "You guys have free food for life wherever my restaurant is."

"And I get to sample everything first," Gabriel said with a grin.

Stephanie laughed. "You certainly do."

As the four of them enjoyed their champagne and food, Stephanie listened as they told her more about the magical world back in England. It sounded like something out of one of Seamus' movies.

"Would we ever get to see this place?" she asked. "Gabriel and me, I mean?"

Gabriel nodded. "I've seen Saffy play Quidditch loads of times. THAT will blow your mind, Steph."

"I'm terrible with remembering sports," Stephanie said. "You'll probably have to explain it to me over and over again."

Gabriel laughed. "Don't worry. I have to ask lots of questions myself."

"There are areas of our world you can go to with us," Lavender said. "And areas that are only accessible to us."

Stephanie nodded. "This is amazing."

"We're glad you're okay with it," Seamus said.

"It's a lot to take in, but I'm glad you trusted me enough to tell me," Stephanie said. "It means a lot to me."

"You're a big part of Gabriel's life, and therefore, our lives as well," Lavender said.

Stephanie's eyes welled up and she smiled. "Thank you. Thank you for everything."

Gabriel squeezed her hand. "It's okay, Steph."

"I actually believe that now," Stephanie said softly.

"That's right," Lavender said, holding up her champagne glass. "To a new start for you both."

Stephanie raised her glass. "To a new start."

*** *** ***

The weekend found Cho and Luna at Cho's dance studio, waiting for Harry. His owl had simply asked them to meet him there.

"Do you know what's going on?" Luna asked her.

Cho shrugged. "I'm not sure, but with him these days, I don't know much of anything."

"Hermione says things have been a lot better," Luna sat down on a chair.

Cho nodded. "He nearly lost her."

"I couldn't believe it," Luna fiddled with her hair. "If any marriage is solid, it's theirs."

"Whose marriage is solid?" Harry's voice asked from the doorway.

Luna and Cho both turned to look at him. "Harry!"

He smiled. "Sorry that I'm a little late."

"It's okay," Cho replied. She took a good lookat him- he looked a lot better than he had the last time she'd seen him. The pinched, angry look was gone and he was much more relaxed.

"You look great," Luna said softly, stepping forward to give him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks," Harry said. He gripped the sides of his chair and pushed himself up onto his feet.

Cho smiled. "Look at you!"

"I've regained most of the feeling in my legs," Harry said proudly.

Luna beamed at him. "Harry!"

"That's really wonderful," Cho said. "What does Hermione think?"

Harry chuckled. "She doesn't know."

"Why?" Cho asked.

"Well, that's kind if why I asked you to meet me here," Harry replied.

"Why all the secrecy?" Luna asked as Harry grabbed a hold of the barre to steady himself.

"I've put Hermione through so much," Harry explained. "I want to surprise her at Hillsdale."

"How romantic," Cho said with a laugh. "What did you have in mind, Romeo?"

Harry grinned. "Well, I was wondering if the two of you would help me dance again."

Luna clapped her hands excitedly. "This sounds like fun!"

"Cho?" Harry asked looking at his best friend.

"I'm in," Cho smiled at him.

"You have your work cut out for you," Harry said as she came over to hug him.

"Right," Cho said. "Because you're only the person who taught me everything I know..."

"Well, I'm not the same as I was," Harry said.

"We'll get you back up to speed," Cho promised.

"Absolutely," Luna said confidently. "Which dance is it you want to do for her?"

"Tango," Harry said. "The one she and I first danced to."

Luna looked dreamily at him. "That is the most romantic thing ever, Harry!"

Even Cho looked starry eyed. "I still remember the steps to that. It shouldn't be too difficult."

Luna still looked dreamy as she recalled the way Harry and Hermione danced. "I can still see you coming into the ballroom after you'd been sacked. 'No one puts Hermione in a corner'."

Cho laughed. "You actually said that, Harry?"

"To her scary father, yes I did," Harry said with a laugh. "I was an arrogant bastard back then, wasn't I?"

"Still are," Cho muttered.

Luna giggled. "But, we love you anyway."

Harry smiled. "I appreciate this. Thank you both... and not just for the dancing. I was a real bastard to everyone for awhile."

Cho gave his hand a squeeze. "You were, but I think you're finding your way back."

"Getting there," he replied.

"And how's the magic?" Luna asked.

"Going as well as the walking," Harry smiled. "I'm even able to do some wandless magic now."

"You've worked so hard to get it all back," Luna said smiling at him.

"I have," Harry agreed.

"Okay, let's get to work," Cho said.

"Cho you lead," Luna said. "I'll stand behind."

Cho nodded and took Harry's hand, patiently leading him to the middle of the floor.

"I'm still a bit slow," Harry warned her. "I'm still supposed to be using the chair most of the time."

Cho looked at him in surprise. "Harry, maybe this isn't such a good idea if you're supposed to--"

"I want to do this," Harry interrupted her

"But if your therapist doesn't think this is a good idea," Cho argued.

"I can do this," Harry said, his tone a bit tight.

Cho looked at Luna for help.

"I think Harry knows his limits," Luna said. "If he gets tired, he will stop."

Harry smiled gratefully at her.

"Promise?" Cho asked him. "You'll stop if you get tired?"

Harry nodded. "You have my word."

"Okay," Cho relented. She waved her wand and an easy tango tune started playing.

Harry placed his hands on Cho's waist. "You never could say no to me, you know."

"Ugh," Cho said. "You're so--"

"Handsome?" Harry finished.

"Hardly," Cho glared at him.

Harry laughed. "Okay, okay."

Luna smiled. "This is fun."

"You can't tell Ron or Neville this either," Harry told them. "Especially Ron. He'd let it slip with that big mouth of his."

"I know how to keep a secret," Cho said. "Nowadays..."

"With you and Ron around, it's amazing that I was able to keep Hermione this long," Harry joked.

Cho shook her head. "You need to be serious."

"Right," Harry said. "Let's do it."

"Step back," Cho directed. "And again."

Harry mustered all of his strength to follow Cho's instructions. The movements that used to come so easily to him were so hard now.

"Easy," Luna put her hands on his waist.

Harry nodded. "Right."

"Back," Cho said. "And now side. Side again."

"Good," Luna encouraged as Harry moved his feet.

"This is a bit harder than I thought," Harry admitted. "But I don't care."

"You should care," Cho said, still uneasy about him pushing himself.

"I want to do this for my wife," Harry said. "If I weren't doing it here, I would be somewhere else."

Cho sighed. "I know, but I don't want this to set you back."

"You won't," Harry said firmly.

"We'll just work on the basic steps right now," Cho told him. "No spins or turns just yet."

"All right," Harry conceded.

"He listens," Cho said to Luna. "Mark the date and time."

Luna grinned. "You have a witness."

"What about lifts?" Harry asked earning himself a punch in the shoulder from Cho.

"You may be a lot thinner but you're still too big for me," Cho shook her head.

Luna laughed. "Good one!"

The three of them worked steadily for the next hour. Harry made some progress but by the end of the lesson his legs ached so badly it was all he could do to get back into his chair. He put on his best face and tried as hard as he could to hide the pain.

"Nice try," Cho said handing him a bottle of water. "I know you too well, Potter."

"I'm fine," Harry replied gulping the water down.

"They say Hermione's the stubborn one, but she has nothing on you," Cho said to him.

"Where do you think Saffron gets most of it from?" Harry retorted, wiping his face.

Cho sat down beside him. "I know why you're doing this and it's great, but I don't want you to push yourself too hard. That's what you were doing with your therapy."

"And it's helped me get where I am today," Harry glared at her.

"And there you are again," Cho said shaking her head. "For Merlin's sake, Harry. I'm only concerned."

"I know," Harry said, calming down. "But I'm fine. I WILL be fine."

"When do you want to practise again?" Luna asked.

"Tomorrow?" Harry proposed.

"If you're up for it," Cho said.

Harry nodded. "Same time?"

"I'm free," Cho said. "Luna?"

"I have a meeting but I can be here after that," Luna promised.

"Thanks," Harry said.

"Do you need help getting home?" Cho asked.

Harry shook his head. "No."

"Okay," Cho said. "Let me know--"

"You're doing it again," Harry told her.

"I can't help it," Cho held up her hands.

"I'm okay," Harry said handing her the empty bottle. "And I'm going to go home and rest, if that makes you happy."

"It does," Cho replied.

Harry laughed. "Okay, then. I'll see you two tomorrow."

Cho sighed once Harry had left. "He's really got to be careful."

"He will," Luna said confidently.

"You think so?" Cho asked.

Luna smiled. "He's the most tenacious person I know. He always has been. If he wants to do something, he'll do whatever it takes to make it happen. He might push himself, but I think he does know his limits."

"I hope you're right," Cho said. "I'm going to close up. Fancy getting a cup of tea with me?"

"Always," Luna replied.

"Great," Cho said, waving her wand at the room to turn out the lights and turn off the music.

"So, Hillsdale," Luna said. "Can you believe we're going back?"

"Hardly," Cho shook her head. "But we can only go for a few days. Nev can't leave work for that long and I have a load of new students coming in."

Luna smiled. "It will be great to go back after all this time."

"I hope it hasn't changed too much." Cho said.

"So many memories," Luna said dreamily. "Ronald..."

Cho laughed. "So much happened for all of us."

"You most of all," Luna said, putting her hand on her friend's arm.

"That was one crazy summer," Cho said. "But the best one of my life."

"Chiaki and Neville," Luna said.

A small smile touched Cho's lips. As the two friends set off for a coffeehouse, Harry was just arriving home. "Hermione?" he called out.

"I'm in the kitchen," Hermione answered.

Harry found her a few moments later and smiled when he saw her. It still was a little jarring to see her in the kitchen successfully making things. "Baking again?" he asked.

"I love it now," Hermione answered.

Ellie stepped up on the step ladder taking Harry by surprise. "And I'm helping, Grandpa!" she exclaimed with a grin. Harry smiled at his granddaughter wearing an apron. She looked so much like her mother at that age.

"I didn't know you were here," Harry said to his granddaughter. "Where's my hug?"

Ellie grinned and hopped down running over to him. "Right here, Grandpa!"

Harry laughed as Ellie threw herself on him.

"She's staying with us while Saffy runs some errands," Hermione explained. "Edward is with Andrew's parents."

"Mummy says sometimes she shops quicker without us," Ellie remarked.

"I can imagine," Harry said kissing her cheek. "What are you and your grandmother making?"

"Chocolate chip biscuits," Ellie said. "Grandma says you can have some because you probably did good with trying to walk today."

Harry smiled, thinking of the dance lesson. "Yes, I did."

"Here," Hermione handed him a spoonful of dough.

"Thank you," Harry said taking it from her. "I'm famished."

"Did you walk today?" Ellie asked eagerly.

"I did," Harry replied looking at Hermione.

Hermione beamed proudly at him. "That's wonderful, Harry!"

"Yay, Grandpa!" Ellie clapped her little hands.

"All right," Hermione said. "Come here El, it's time to put these in the oven."

Ellie grinned. "Okay, Grandma. And how long do we have to wait?"

"Not too long, darling," Hermione said as Ellie carefully grasped the oven door in her little hands.

Harry sat down at the table and watched his wife and granddaughter.

"Can I bring some home to Mummy, Daddy and Edward?" Ellie asked,

"Absolutely," Hermione replied. "If your Grandpa doesn't eat them all."

"You can have two," Ellie wagged a finger at Harry.

"Three," Harry countered.

"You're going to get fat," Ellie said.

Hermione and Harry had to laugh at that. "Okay," Harry said with a grin. "You little stinker, I'll have two only."

"Why don't you go clean up and I'll let you know when the biscuits are done," Hermione told her.

"Okay," Ellie said walking out of the kitchen.

"So everything went well today?" Hermione asked, waving her wand at the dirty dishes in the sink and on the counter.

Harry nodded. "Better than expected."

"Wonderful," Hermione said, running her hand through his messy hair.

"You keep cooking like this, I am going to get fat," Harry teased.

"I hardly think so," Hermione laughed.

Harry squeezed her hand.

"I've got everything all set at work for when we go to Hillsdale," Hermione said. "I didn't think I'd be this excited to go back there."

"Me too," Harry agreed. "Right back to where it all started."

"I still remember that first day when I saw you in the parking lot," Hermione recalled.

"Little did we know, eh?" Harry asked as she sat down in his lap.

Hermione leaned in and kissed him. Harry put his arms around her and deepened the kiss.

Hermione pulled away a few moments later, breathless. "How do you still manage to do that to me?"

"Because I'm Harry Potter," Harry said, winking at her.

Hermione laughed. "Of course."

Harry and Hermione did not see Saffron standing in the doorway. She watched her parents and smiled. It had been ages since she had seen them like this.

"Mummy!" Ellie exclaimed from behind her.

Saffron laughed and turned around. "There's my girl!"

"Saffy," Hermione said, getting up. "When did you get back?"

"Just now," Saffron replied, picking up her daughter. "I hope she wasn't too much trouble."

"Never," Hermione replied. "She was helping me in the kitchen."

"We made biscuits," Ellie said. "And they're almost done!"

"I knew something smelled good," Saffron nuzzled her daughter's cheek.

"Hi, sweetheart," Harry replied. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"Can I have some juice?" Ellie piped up.

Harry laughed. "Sure."

"Dad!" Saffron exclaimed as he pushed himself to his feet. "Way to go!"

Harry smiled. "I'm a little slow..."

"Nonsense," Hermione said.

"You're faster than Edward," Ellie told him.

Harry, Hermione and Saffron all laughed at this.

Harry slowly made his way over to the icebox. Saffron shared a smile with her mother.

"Here you go, sweetheart," Harry said, holding the juice out to Ellie.

"Thank you," Ellie said politely.

"After your biscuits are done, we have to go," Saffron told her daughter. "Daddy and Ed are waiting for us at home."

Ellie frowned. "But I want to stay with Grandma and Grandpa."

"They have things to do," Saffron told her.

Ellie looked like she was going to argue and Harry chuckled. Ellie had her mother's temperament as well.

"Besides," Saffron said. "You'll want to try on the new swim costume I found for you today."

Ellie brightened at this. "Ooooh!"

"Clothes," Saffron said. "It works every time."

The timer went off and Ellie grabbed Hermione's hand. "Come on, Grandma! They're ready!"

"Oh yes," Hermione said. "Let me take them out, love. We don't want to burn your little hands."

Saffron walked over to her father and gave him a hug. "I'm glad to see you doing so well!"

"Thanks, Saffy." Harry said. "I'm determined to get out of this chair as soon as possible."

"You will," Saffron told him. "I love seeing you and Mum like this."

"Me too," Harry kissed the top of his daughter's head.

*** *** ***