Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: We know that this is a busy time of year for everyone and time is precious so we want to thank the loyal reviewers who have continuously left us comments---miss granger; TheGreatFox2000; bra4goten; petrynronlover; nick parker; pinkylover530; ears91, Mark's Baby; Harrry85; dysfunctionalspirit; destroyerdrt; love&memories; Hermione Potter; gingercat; Orli Luva; SweetMemories; SilverArroWGriffin; Cokieisme; kiwibee; crlncyln; Rena Kazikal; Mmbug98841; Trojan#12; SummrMagic. You guys have consistently left us comments and for that we are extremely grateful! We want feedback---good, bad or indifferent!

All we want from the rest of you is to leave us a comment after you review. We want to know how you think we're doing and if you'd like us to continue to post previews at Orkut. Again, we know this is a busy time of year, we just ask that you take a moment to leave a comment or two. This applies for all the hard working writers who post stories on this site to fill our Harry/Hermione appetite. It's not too much to ask you guys to leave a few words- what you liked, what you didn't, etc.

Mallory was visiting from the States and Frankie again marvelled at how close she and Hannah's aunt had become this last year. They had their differences, but they both loved Hannah and wanted the best for her.

At the moment, Hannah was safe at Hogwarts and for that Frankie was grateful.

She smiled at Mallory as she sat down on the sofa. "When I last saw Will, he was upstairs trying to convince Izzie that she needed to take a bath and Nathan was trying to start a pillow fight."

Mallory smiled. "They're so funny."

"My own personal zoo," Frankie joked. She looked at the box in Mallory's lap. "What's that?"

"Some things of Abbie's that I found in the attic," Mallory replied. "I thought I'd leave them here to show Hannah."

Frankie grinned. "Oh, she'll love that."

"I thought she would really like this," Mallory lifted a locket out of the box. "I managed to grab a few of her things before David ruined everything she had. This was one of her favourite things to wear as a teenager."

Frankie admired the silver locket. "Is there anything inside?"

"A little lock of her hair," Mallory said. "She was going to give it to another boy... but then she met David--"

Frankie took the locket from Mallory and gingerly opened it.

"Just be careful," Mallory said, tearing up a bit when she saw her sister's brown lock of hair swirled inside the locket.

"Of course," Frankie said softly.

"I have a matching one at home," Mallory said.

Frankie patted Mallory's hand. "David Wright took a lot from you and Hannah, but you have such wonderful memories and I'm so grateful that Hannah has you to help share it with."

"Thanks Frankie," Mallory said. "You and Will have been so wonderful, too."

"We are pretty fantastic, aren't we?" Will asked coming up behind them.

Mallory laughed but Frankie looked pensively at the locket. An idea had

suddenly occurred to her. "Polyjuice!" she said.

Mallory raised an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon?"

"Polyjuice," Frankie said again. "It's a potion that allows a person to take on the persona of another. I did it and became Hannah when David Wright wanted to see her. What if now.... I become Abbie to trick him into turning himself in?"

Will shook his head. "No---no way."

"Why not?" Frankie asked.

Will looked at her as if the answer should be obvious. "I'm not putting you at risk. Do you think I'd let you two feet in front of that bastard?"

"I've done it before," Frankie said. "And he would be too afraid to do anything."

"We don't even know where he is, Frankie," Will tried to reason with her.

"He's bound to make another move soon," Frankie replied. "And when he does, I'll have a potion at the ready with a strand of Abbie's hair. I'll play the part and make him turn himself in."

Will sighed. "No, Frankie. I'm not going to let you do this."

Frankie put her hands on her hips. "LET me?" she asked dangerously.

"Bad choice of words," Will said hastily. "But, you know it takes a month to brew that potion."

"I bet my dad can get me some when I need it," Frankie countered.

Will sighed. "Francesca..."

"I'm doing it," Frankie said firmly.

Will looked at Mallory for assistance. "Will you tell her how absurd this is?"

"It might get him back in jail for good," Mallory said softly.

Frankie grinned. "Two against one. You're outnumbered, William."

"I don't like this," Will grumbled.

"Well, I don't like living in fear," Frankie countered. "I don't like the fact that some psychopath is out there plotting against my family."

"Our main concern is keeping Hannah safe," Mallory said. "The fact that we know he's gotten to her a few times is really disturbing."

"Beyond disturbing," Will said.

"So let's nip this in the bud," Frankie said. "And then Hannah can go on with her life and never have to worry about that horrible man ever again."

"If anything happened to you," Will started to say.

"I won't let it," Frankie replied. "I can Apparate away,"

Will hugged her tightly.

how about..."So, it's decided?" Frankie asked. "We'll work out the logistics and make this happen."

"Yeah," Will said, still not feeling completely enthused about this.

Mallory stood up and handed the locket back to Frankie. "Abbie would want to do whatever it took to keep Hannah safe."

Frankie nodded. "We'll do this for her sake."

Frankie looked down at the locket and felt even more sure about her decision. This was their last chance to get David Wright.

Meanwhile, Emma was working her best to convince Hannah to sneak into the kitchens with her.

"I'm hungry, Han," Emma pleaded.

"But we might get caught," Hannah said, glancing at the portrait door.

Emma shook her head and grabbed Hannah's arm. "Come on."

Hannah allowed her friend to pull her outside. "You're going to take me the super secret way?"

"The super secret Weasley way," Emma whispered.

"Wow," Hannah said, a bit awed.

Emma linked her arm with Hannah's. "I can't study on an empty stomach."

Hannah laughed. "Emma, I just saw you eat a whole tin of biscuits from Nana."

Emma giggled. "That was a half hour ago, Hannah."

Hannah just shook her head as the two girls crept down the empty corridor.

Emma stopped walking suddenly and looked at Hannah. "Close your eyes. You can't really see how I do this because you're not a Weasley. It's super, super secret."

"Seriously?" Hannah asked, but did as Emma asked.

Emma took Hannah's hand and led her further down the corridor. They stopped suddenly and Hannah heard her best friend mutter something and then heard a door slowly creek open. "Can I open my eyes yet, Em?" Hannah whispered.

Emma giggled. "Yes! Come on!"

Hannah opened her eyes and saw the kitchen thriving with activity. The house elves stopped what they were doing the moment they saw Emma and Hannah felt a wave of panic. They were done for. But, to her surprise, the house elves practically threw themselves at Emma.

"Miss Weasley!" one of them rushed over and hugged Emma's legs. "Miss Weasley has come to visit us!"

Emma smiled. "I told you I'd be here, didn't I?"

The elf turned and snapped his fingers, and suddenly the tables in front of them were laden with goodies. "For our favourite," the elf said, bowing.

Emma did a little curtsy. "Thank you!"

Hannah hung back shyly, not sure if she was allowed to go for the tables as well

Emma giggled and waved at her friend to come forward. She looked at the four house elves that seemed to be hanging on her every word. "I'd like you all to meet my best friend, Hannah Barron."

"Hi," Hannah greeted them, still feeling a bit shy.

"Miss Weasley's friend is our friend," a house elf said beaming up at her.

Hannah smiled down at the little creature. "Thank you," she said.

"Treacle tarts!" Emma exclaimed, helping herself to one.

Hannah reached for a pumpkin muffin and bit into it. "This is the most amazing muffin EVER," she said.

The house elves clapped their hands excitedly. "Miss Weasley made us our aprons!" the smallest elf said doing a twirl. "And our hats!"

Hannah grinned. "I remember her knitting those in the common room!"

Emma nodded. "I worked really hard on them. Nana taught me everything I know."

"Miss Weasley dresses us so nicely," another elf said, twirling around. She wore a tea cosy on her head as well as an apron.

"She does," Hannah said. She leaned forward. "Em, how long---how long have you been coming down here?"

"Since the first night," Emma replied.

"And the hero worship they have for you?" Hannah asked before taking

another muffin.

Emma just grinned at her.

Hannah shook her head and laughed. "All that's missing are the rose petals at your feet!"

"Don't say that too loud or it would happen," Emma said. "One time I asked if they could make it rain noodle soup.... and suddenly it was."

Hannah gaped at her. "Really?"

Emma nodded. "I caught them in a bowl- they were delicious!"

Hannah giggled. "Em, you are too much!"

"I hear that all the time," Emma said, reaching for another tart.

Hannah smiled. "So, do you ever get the chance to cook in here yourself?"

"I WISH," Emma said wistfully. "This kitchen is awesome."

"You're a great cook," Hannah said. "Just like your mum."

"And my nana," Emma replied.

"It's in your blood," Hannah said.

The girls talked and mostly only Emma ate for the next hour. "Did you hear anything else on your birth father?" she asked Hannah as they sneaked back towards the tower.

Hannah shook her head. "No, but it's not like my mum and dad would tell me. They're trying to protect me."

"But they should just tell you if he's around," Emma said. "So you know."

"That's exactly how I feel, but you know how parents are," Hannah said thoughtfully.

"Like when they won't let you have dessert before dinner," Emma rolled her eyes.

Hannah laughed. "Yes, that's EXACTLY what I meant, Em."

"Of course it is," Emma said mischievously. "What was the password again?"

"Lemon drop," Hannah said.

The door swung open and the two of them were met by Caroline. "Where were you?" she asked.

"In the kitchens," Emma replied. "Why?"

Caroline grinned. "I should have guessed."

"Have you seen them with her?" Hannah asked. "They're like Emma's own fan club."

"She has minions, just like Katie," Caroline teased.

"Except I use my powers for good," Emma said winking at her sister.

Caroline and Hannah both laughed at that.

Emma sank down on one of the sofas and patted her stomach. "I am stuffed!"

"Well you ate almost everything on the table," Hannah pointed out, picking up her book.

"I left a muffin," Emma pointed out.

"So, what did you do tonight, Caroline?" Hannah asked.

Caroline felt her cheeks flush a bit. "Katie was supposed to meet Bradley but she didn't show up. So we were in the library until a little while ago."

"Ooooh,' Emma teased.

"It's not like that," Caroline said quickly.

"Uh-huh," Emma said nudging her. "You get all glowy when you see him."

"He's JUST a friend," Caroline insisted.

Hannah looked at Emma. "Go easy on her, Em. If she says they're just friends, that's all they are."

"Just wait until you really fancy someone," Caroline told her sister,

"Like you and Bradley?" Emma asked.

"Ugh," Caroline rolled her eyes. "Emma Madeline--"

Emma held up her hands. "Okay, okay. I'll stop. Come on, Hannah. Let's go upstairs. I'm tired."

Hannah smiled at her cousin. "See you tomorrow, Caroline."

"Good night, Hannah," Caroline said. She mussed her younger sister's hair. "Good night, Em. You little troublemaker."

"I'm the best," Emma quipped before running up the stairs.

Caroline shook her head and sat down on the sofa. Emma was completely mental, Caroline thought. She and Bradley were just friends. Yes, he was handsome and funny and nice.

And if she wanted to be truthful, she had fancied him a bit until he started dating Katie. Then she had stopped and told herself she wanted her friend to be happy and if Bradley wanted her, then that was that.

But, Katie was still corresponding on a regular basis with Kevin.

Caroline had tried to tell her friend to pick one or the other, but Katie seemed determined to have her cake and eat it too.

Caroline had a feeling that this would all end up blowing up in Katie's face.

*** *** ***

Gabriel glanced up at the clock and saw it was almost time for him to finish his shift. It had been a gruelling night, with plenty of action in the ER.

Blake clapped him on the back. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Gabriel agreed. "Want to go grab a bite across the street?"

"You just want an excuse to see your girl," Blake teased as he finished writing something on a chart.

Gabriel grinned. "I don't need an excuse for that."

From behind them, they heard a derisive laugh. Gabriel turned to see Melanie. "Mel," he said quietly. "Something funny?"

"Yeah," she said. "It's funny how you suddenly have all this free time for her, when you never had any for me."

Blake shook his head. "Mel, just drop it."

"Stay out of this, Blake," Melanie gave him a look.

"I don't want to get into this, Mel," Gabriel said.

"Of course you don't," the blonde said coldly. "You never did."

Gabriel sighed. "Mel, you had the same hours as me, okay?"

Melanie rolled her eyes. "You are so blind."

"Blind to what?" Gabriel asked. "Blind to you presenting yourself as one way but being completely different?"

"You never even let me be myself," Melanie hissed at him. "Everything was all about work with you."

"Look, things just didn't work out between us," Gabriel said. "That's that. It happens."

"No kidding," Blake muttered under his breath.

"And Little Mary Barmaid down there, things work with her?" Melanie asked.

"Leave Steph out of this," Gabriel warned her.

"Wish I could," Melanie said angrily. "Wish she could have been left out of it completely. Someone like her is only going to bring you down, Gabe. You're a doctor and she's just---"

"Steph is the woman I want to be with, okay?" Gabriel cut her off sharply. "And she's an amazing person."

"She's dragging you down," Melanie retorted.

"You wouldn't know the first thing about my relationship with her," Gabriel answered. "And you can just stay out of it."

Blake stood between them. "Come on, Gabe. Let's just go."

"Good idea" Gabriel said as he finished his chart and left it for the nurse.

"What a piece of work she is, eh?" Blake asked as they waited for the elevator.

"I don't know what I saw in her," Gabriel shook his head. "I mean, at first I thought she was like me- hardworking, she was cute, and funny. And then I saw how she treated people..."

"I could have told you that," Blake joked.

"Doesn't really matter anymore," Gabriel shrugged. "It's over."

"And you have Steph," Blake said as the elevator arrived. The two men stepped inside.

"She's amazing, you know?" Gabriel asked. "She's the first girl I've ever been with that I've really wanted to... make time for."

"How's her new place?" Blake asked.

"Not bad," Gabriel answered. "She really seems to like it."

"She should," Blake said. "After you, me and Nico helped her move in."

Gabriel laughed. "I owe you for that day. For helping her move in, and for Nico."

"Don't I know it," Blake laughed. "Which is why you're buying."

"Deal," Gabriel answered s they crossed the street.

His smile grew when he saw his girlfriend just coming out of the kitchen.

"Yo, Steph," Blake called out to her.

Gabriel nudged his friend as Stephanie made her way over to them.

"Hi guys," she greeted them. Much as she longed to give Gabriel a more appropriate greeting, she knew it wouldn't be professional to do so on the clock. "My section is just over there."

Blake looked at her. "Presumptuous, aren't we? What if we wanted to sit in Hazel's section?" He motioned to the much older waitress on the other side of the diner.

Stephanie grinned. "You know how much she'd love it if you parked yourself at her counter..."

"He does like older women," Gabriel said.

"It was just that one time," Blake turned red.

"One of our professors," Gabriel said to Stephanie.

Stephanie's eyes grew wide. "Are you serious?"

Blake rolled his eyes. "Can we sit down now?"

Gabriel laughed. "Now that I've properly embarrassed you, sure."

Stephanie smiled at him. "I'm so glad to see you. I only have an hour left of my shift."

"I just finished mine," Gabriel said. "Done until tomorrow."

"Really?" Stephanie asked with a grin.

"So I'm all yours until then," he leaned in.

Stephanie grabbed his hand. "Blake, we'll be right back."

"What--" Blake's words were cut off.

Stephanie took Gabriel outside. "What are we doing out here?" he asked.

Stephanie looped her arms around his neck. "So I could do this..."

Gabriel put his arms around her waist and pulled her close, giving her a kiss.

Stephanie beamed at him. "I have good news too."

"You do?" he asked.

"I signed up for my first class today," Stephanie told him.

"All right," he grinned at her. "You're on your way, Steph."

"Thanks to you," Stephanie said resting her forehead on his.

"You did this for yourself," he told her.

Stephanie smiled. "I did, didn't I?"

Gabriel leaned in to give her another kiss when a cold, drawling voice interrupted them.

"Hello, sweetheart," Tony's voice called out from behind her. Stephanie's whole body tensed.

"Steph, go back inside," Gabriel straightened up. "Just go back in."

"She's not going anywhere," Tony barked.

"You don't tell her what to do anymore," Gabriel said firmly.

"You mean to tell me she was the one that decided to take the restraining order against me?" Tony asked. "She was the one that pressed charges against me? You see, I think it was you that put those ideas in her head."

"I never forced her to do anything," Gabriel retorted. "Stephanie can do and think for herself."

"Tony, please just go," Stephanie said pleadingly.

"I don't think so," Tony lifted his arm.

"Steph, go inside," Gabriel said quietly.

Stephanie was trembling as she fumbled for the doorknob. She heard a click and looked with horror at the gun in Tony's hand.

"Tony, no!" Stephanie shouted. "NO!"

"If I can't have you, then no one can," Tony said in a chilling voice.

Stephanie shook her head. "He didn't do anything, Tony! Please!"

Gabriel moved so he was shielding Stephanie. "Go back inside, Steph." he forced his voice to remain calm.

"She's not going anywhere," Tony said, training his gun at Gabriel.

"Please, Tony," Stephanie said. "I'll go with you... I'll do anything you want. Just get rid of the gun."

"We were fine until he came along," Tony said his voice ice cold.

"You're right," Stephanie managed.

"No he's not," Gabriel said.

"Put the gun down, Tony," Stephanie said. "Put it down and we'll talk. Just---just you and me."

"You aren't going anywhere with him," Gabriel said. "No telling what he'd do to you."

Stephanie held on to Gabriel's arm. She felt the same way, but there was no other choice. She was not going to let Tony shoot Gabriel.

Tony cocked the gun. "Get. Out. Of. My. Way." he said to Gabriel.

The door to the diner opened and Blake stepped outside. "What the---?"

Tony turned and fired, and Blake jerked backwards and fell to the ground.

Gabriel made a move for the gun and struggled with Tony. Stephanie took the moment to open the door. "CALL THE POLICE!" she shouted. "PLEASE!"

Another gunshot made her cry out and turn around and to her absolute horror she saw Gabriel crumple to the ground.