Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Happy New Year to our dear readers! You guys have been great and we appreciate the feedback. We ask that you keep it up! May you all have a safe and happy 2011!

Caroline felt her eyes grow wide, but she didn't say anything. She couldn't.

Bradley met her gaze. "But, you didn't seem interested and Katie was."

"I uh... I knew she was." Caroline managed to say.

"So, you---you fancied me, too?" Bradley asked.

Caroline wasn't sure what to say so she stared straight ahead.

"But you didn't say anything because she was your friend," Bradley guessed.

Caroline nodded. Her stomach was turning flips and she didn't trust her voice.

Bradley reached for her hand.

"I don't know if we should be doing this," Caroline said quietly.

Bradley nodded. "Right."

"It's a bit soon," Caroline said quickly.

"And she's still your best friend and I'm still trying to make sense of all this," Bradley said releasing her hand.

Caroline nodded, relieved that he understood.

"Come on," Bradley said, standing up. "I know you're cold up here."

"A little," she confessed as he helped her to her feet. "Thanks."

"No problem," Bradley said. He grabbed her bag and slung it over his shoulder.

Caroline blushed again as she followed him out of the Owlery.

They walked downstairs in companionable silence. Caroline was still trying to process the fact that Bradley had fancied her.

"Are you going to talk to her?" she finally asked.

Bradley shrugged. "I don't know."

"Maybe you should at least give her the chance to explain things," Caroline told him.

"Maybe," Bradley said thoughtfully.

Caroline stopped at the stairs that led to Gryffindor. "I um... I guess I'll talk to you later."

He handed over her bag. "Here you go."

"Thanks," Caroline looked up at him. "I hope you feel better...."

"Thanks," Bradley said as she handed back his cloak. "You're a really good friend, Caroline."

"You are too," she told him. "Especially in these last few months."

"You know, you don't always have to put yourself second," Bradley said to her.

"I'm not--" Caroline began.

"You do," Bradley said. "And she takes advantage of that, Caroline."

"Katie's my best friend," Caroline protested.

"I know," Bradley said quietly.

She had to admit he was right, though. She knew as well as anyone that Katie was not above taking advantage of people. The situation she currently found herself in was proof of that

"Good night, Caroline," Bradley said softly.

"Night," Caroline answered, gazing up at him.

Bradley leaned in and pressed a kiss to her cheek before turning and walking away.

Caroline watched him go before turning and slowly making her way upstairs.

Tonight had been so surreal. Bradley found out about Katie and Kevin. Bradley told her that he had fancied her to begin with. Caroline was filled with a million questions.

She wondered what she would have done if she had liked him first- if she had perhaps been bold enough to make a move. Would Katie have stepped aside? Caroline did not think so. Once Katie set her mind that she wanted something, she did whatever it took to make it hers.

*** *** ***

Alexa and Dimitri had returned to her parents' house after a week away in Greenland. The atmosphere was still a bit on the cool side, and Alexa was trying desperately to change that.

"I was thinking Dimitri and I would make dinner tonight," Alexa said to her mother.

"I didn't know he could cook," Karen replied, still perusing her magazine.

Alexa winked at her husband. "He's a great cook. Just wait until you try his Pelmini. That was one of the things I married him for."

"I don't think your father and I are really up for any fancy dishes," Karen said.

Alexa frowned. "It's not that fancy, Mum. And just wait until you try them..."

"We actually have plans tonight," Karen interrupted. "At the Stewarts'."

"But--" Alexa started to protest.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart," Karen offered. "But I really need to go get ready."

With that, Karen set her magazine aside and headed upstairs. Alexa was positively seething. Dimitri motioned for her to come over to him. She reluctantly sat down on his lap.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I don't know why they won't warm up to you."

Dimitri grinned. "Because I am cold Russian," Dimitri said, deliberately thickening his accent.

Alexa had to smile. "You are anything but cold."

Dimitri gave her a kiss. "How about I take my beautiful wife out tonight instead? Dinner and a movie?"

"You know what I'd like to do?" she asked, circling her arms around his neck. "Pop over to see Gabriel."

"He's still in hospital, right?" Dimitri asked.

"Yes," Alexa nodded. "Doing a lot better but they're keeping an eye on him for another few days."

"What time is it now in Los Angeles then?" Dimitri asked.

"Ten," Alexa glanced at her watch. "In the morning."

"Let's go then," Dimitri said giving her another kiss.

They used their personal portkey to appear in a magical area of LA and arrived quickly at the hospital.

"Let's stop in the gift shoppe," Alexa said. "I'd like to get him something."

"Sure," Dimitri agreed, gazing around.

She was a little nervous about seeing him in a hospital bed. She still cared about him a great deal and this would be the first time he would meet Dimitri.

Alexa picked out some flowers and a small box of Gabriel's favourite chocolates and they headed upstairs where Saffron had told her Gabriel's room was.

Gabriel was sitting up in his bed, reading. Alexa knocked gently on the door. "Dr. Boyd?" she asked with a grin.

"Lexie!" Gabriel looked up and smiled at her.

Alexa crossed the room and hugged him tightly. Dimitri hung back, wanting to give them some space.

"I'm all right," Gabriel reassured her when he saw tears spring to her eyes.

"I don't like seeing you in a hospital bed," Alexa said wiping at her eyes.

"I definitely like being the one standing next to it," Gabriel agreed.

Alexa pulled away and motioned for her husband to come into the room. "I have someone I'd like you to meet."

"Hello," Dimitri nodded to the other man. "Dimitri Laskaris. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you," Gabriel said extending his hand.

Dimitri shook it. "You as well. Heard loads about you."

"If it was from Saffy, believe about half of it," Gabriel said.

Dimitri laughed. "She's really something else. Just like my Lexa."

Alexa beamed at him.

Gabriel slowly pushed himself so he was sitting more upright. "I can't wait to get out of here. I'm so bored."

"The workaholic doesn't like sitting still," Alexa teased.

"Not much has changed," he said wryly.

"How's your father and Lavender doing?" Alexa asked.

"Fine," Gabriel said. "Now that I'm going to be all right. But we have to go through court now, because they're going to prosecute Tony."

"As they should!" Alexa exclaimed fiercely. "That bastard nearly killed you and your friend. Not to mention what he did to that poor girl..."

"Steph's going to be all right," Gabriel assured her. "And so will I. And Tony's going to be where he belongs."

"How about I give you two a few moments to catch up?" Dimitri asked.

"Thanks," Alexa smiled at her husband.

"Nice to meet you, Gabe," Dimitri said to the other man.

"You too," Gabriel shook his hand again. "Thanks for coming by.

Dimitri gave Alexa a peck on the cheek before heading out of the room.

"I've been so worried about you," Alexa told her ex. "Ever since I found out."

"You can't get rid of me that easily," Gabriel said, earning a frown from Alexa. "Sorry, pathetic use of humour."

Alexa squeezed his hand. "You're out of here tomorrow?"

"If all goes as planned," Gabriel said.

"You'll probably recover even better at home," Alexa nodded.

"Yeah, my grandmother says she can't wait to get me home and feed me real food," Gabriel said.

Alexa smiled. "I miss your grandparents."

"You might see them if you hang around a little longer," Gabriel said. "And maybe Stephanie too."

"I'd love to meet her," Alexa said softly.

"She feels guilty about all this," Gabriel said. "No matter what I say, she still feels guilty."

"I think that's only natural," Alexa told him "Its rather like what Saffron went through when Sean was killed."

Gabriel nodded. "I would have done anything to protect her, Lexie. I didn't want him to hurt her again."

"That's because you love her and would do anything for her," Alexa said. "It's just how you are."

Gabriel smiled. "I think you'd like her, Lexie."

"I'm sure I will," Alexa replied.

"So," Gabriel said. "How are things with you? How was Greenland?"

"Pretty incredible," Alexa said. "Dimitri's pictures and my commentary will appear in a travel guide next year."

"Congratulations!" Gabriel told her.

"Thanks," Alexa said. "It's fun to do things like that."

"I'm sure your folks are proud," Gabriel commented.

Alexa shook her head. "They're almost like strangers to me now. They won't warm up to Dimitri."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I wish I knew," Alexa said gloomily. "They just don't like him."

"They're not still mad about missing your wedding?" Gabriel asked.

"I'm sure that' part of it," Alexa said. "His parents were upset too, but they didn't take it out on me."

"They'll come around," Gabriel tried to reassure her.

Alexa shrugged. "I hope so. Eventually, we want to have kids- and probably sooner rather than later."

"They will," Gabriel said.

"They'd better," Alexa said, wanting to change the subject.

She handed him the box of chocolates. He grinned as he took it from her. "Just what the doctor ordered."

"That's my own personal prescription," Alexa laughed.

"Perfect," Gabriel said opening the box. He took one of the chocolates and popped it into his mouth.

Alexa sat back and was about to say something else when she noticed a pretty brunette hovering by the door.

Gabriel smiled. "Steph. Come on inside."

Stephanie looked uncertainly at him and the very pretty redhead sitting at his side. "I hope I'm not interrupting..."

"No, we were just catching up," Gabriel said. "Stephanie, this is Alexa."

Alexa stood up and offered her hand to the other woman. "It's so lovely to meet you," she said warmly.

Stephanie shook her hand. "Likewise."

"Gabriel speaks so highly of you," Alexa told her.

Stephanie blushed. "He's a little biased is all."

"For good reason," Gabriel said from the bed.

Stephanie stepped into the room and set the box of food she was carrying down. "I brought you some breakfast from the diner."

Gabriel reached for it. "Hash browns?"

"Of course," Stephanie said leaning down and giving him a kiss.

"You're the best," Gabriel told her, reaching for her hand.

"How are you feeling?" Stephanie asked softly.

"Better now that I have some real food," Gabriel took a huge bite of hash browns. "Lexie, Steph is probably the greatest cook on the planet."

Alexa grinned. "It smells delicious."

"I brought enough for an army," Stephanie said. "Unless Gabe inhales them..."

"I'll let him have them all," Alexa said. "My husband and I are going to grab a bite to eat later."

"Gabriel said you'd gotten married on a tropical beach somewhere," Stephanie said. 'That sounds heavenly."

"It was amazing and very romantic," Alexa said smiling at the memory.

"He's around here," Gabriel said around a mouthful of potatoes.

Stephanie laughed. "Gabriel!"

"What?" he asked.

"What am I going to do with you?" Stephanie asked reaching for a napkin.

Alexa shook her head. "I've got to get going. Dimitri and I are starved."

"Oh, don't leave on my account," Stephanie said hastily.

"We can come back later," Alexa insisted. "Stephanie, it was truly lovely to meet you."

"You too," Stephanie said.

Alexa bid them a quick goodbye and saw her husband hovering at the end of the hall.

"You were waiting out here this whole time?" Alexa asked.

He shrugged. "It's no big deal, Lexa."

"You're pretty great, you know that?" Alexa asked, wrapping her arms around him.

He smiled down at her. "Because I'm crazy about you."

Alexa gave him a kiss. "I'm starving."

"You used to live here right?" he asked.

"For a short amount of time," Alexa replied.

"Remember any good places?" he asked.

Alexa looked thoughtful. "Yeah, I think so."

"Good," he said, squeezing her for a moment. "Come on."

Alexa and Dimitri had a nice meal at one of Alexa's old haunts and she showed him around the campus. She was tired, but in a much better mood when the Apparated back home.

"Come on," she squeezed his hand. "Let's go say goodnight and then go to bed."

They made their way toward the sitting room where Alexa's parents were watching telly. "...I just wish I understood where this all came from," Karen was saying. "She's so level-headed. Or at least was..."

"Probably the influence of that Russian," her father grunted.

Karen shook her head. "And I just know he wants to take her back there and we'll never see her."

Alexa was horrified to hear her parents talking this way. They were crucifying her husband without even giving him a chance in the first place.

Alexa cleared her throat.

Her parents looked up, startled. "Sweetheart, when did you get back?" Karen stood up.

"Just now," Alexa said folding her arms. "So, this is what you do when we're not here?"

"What do you mean, dear?" Karen asked.

"Talk about Dimitri and me," Alexa replied.

Dimitri put his hand on her shoulder. "Lexa," he said softly. "It's not important. Really..."

"No," Alexa said. "It IS important." she turned back to face her parents. "Dimitri is my husband. I love him and he loves me. We're going to share our lives, and if you want to be a part of mine you're going to need to accept him."

Patrick stood up and looked at his daughter. "Alexa, it's just--"

"I understand you were hurt by our decision to get married away from everyone, but it was something he and I wanted to do." Alexa said.

"And then you arrive here and announce it completely out of the blue!" Karen replied defensively. "We didn't even know you were seeing someone!"

"Well we've been around now for several months," Alexa returned. "And he's still a stranger, to both of you!"

"We've gotten to know him," Patrick said.

"Really?" Alexa asked folding her arms. "What are his parents' names then? Where did he go to school?"

Patrick and Karen looked at one another silently.

"Thought so," Alexa said shaking her head. "Dimitri and I are out of here."

"Lexa--" Dimitri began.

"No, we'll---we'll stay with Saffy and Andrew," Alexa said firmly.

Alexa swept out of the room and up the stairs and he followed her.

"Unbelievable," Alexa muttered reaching for her suitcase.

"Are you sure you want to just leave?" he asked her quietly.

Tears were in her eyes as she looked at him. "Yes."

"Come here Lexa," Dimitri pulled her into his arms. "I hate to see you like this."
"Me too," Alexa said resting her head on his shoulder.

"I don't want to come between you and your parents," he said softly. "I don't want to take you away from them."

"Maybe this will wake them up," Alexa said. "Show them that I mean what I say."

He stroked back her hair. "Whatever you say."

"I love you," Alexa said softly.

"I love you," he said in Russian.

Alexa smiled up at him. As if she needed any proof that she was doing the right thing, he went and said something like that. "We're in this together," she told him. "For better or worse."

"You know it," he agreed. "I'm not about to let you go. I knew from the moment I saw you walk into the office that I'd marry you. Happened a little sooner than I thought..."

"You were the one that proposed," Alexa reminded him.

He laughed. "I figured, why wait?"

"And here we are," Alexa said softly.

Dimitri gave his wife a kiss. "Let's get packed."

"I'll owl Saffy," Alexa said.

He nodded. "It won't take me long to be ready."

Alexa sat down and quickly wrote a letter to Saffron asking if she and Dimitri could stay with them for a few days.

She was a bit surprised that neither of her parents came up to try and stop them, and that hurt her even more than their words downstairs.

She hurried and packed her own belongings and together, she and Dimitri walked downstairs.

Her mother stood when she saw the two of them together. "Alexa, you don't have to leave."

"You don't respect my marriage," Alexa said. "So why should I stay? I don't want to stay somewhere where my husband is not welcome!"

"That's not true," Karen looked at her husband.

"You told me before you would try and be nice, but that hasn't happened," Alexa said.

"I love Lexa very much," Dimitri said. "She's everything to me."

"She's everything to us," Patrick said.

"Then we have some common ground right there," Dimitri replied.

"What are your parents' names?" Karen asked.

Dimitri looked at her. "Irina and Maksim," he finally replied.

"Perhaps it might be nice if they came to visit," Karen said.

"Do you really mean that?" Dimitri asked.

"Of course we do," Karen replied. "Alexa is our only daughter, and yes, we were very upset about the decision you both made to get married without letting anyone know, or even bringing Dimitri home first. But we can't lose you, love."

"So you'll make a serious effort?" Alexa asked.

"Yes," Karen said, giving Patrick a nudge.

"Of course," Patrick said. "You're my girl."

Alexa's eyes filled with tears and she rushed into her parents' arms.

Karen and Patrick enveloped her in a bear hug while Dimitri watched with a grin.

"And the greeting I should have given my son in law," Karen said, coming over to hug him.

Dimitri chuckled and hugged her.

Alexa wiped her eyes. "I better write and tell Andrew and Saffron we won't be coming over after all."

"Karen was telling me you're quite the cook," Patrick said to Dimitri.

"I can hold my own in the kitchen," he nodded.

"Is that offer to make that Russian dish still good?" Karen asked.

"Sure," Dimitri replied with a grin.

Alexa caught his eye and smiled. They had a long way to go, but hopefully this was a good first step.

*** *** ***

Hermione poured herself another cup of coffee and tried to block out the sound of her husband arguing with his therapist. A part of her was relieved that he wasn't arguing with her. She thought things would be better in the cottage but the truth was things were worse. He spent day and night working on his therapy. When she would question him or call him to dinner or ask him to go to bed, he would nearly bite her head off.

She tried as hard as she could to be supportive of him, but truth be told, she was finding more reasons to stay away from the cottage.

She had not told Saffron, Julie or Ethan about how she felt because she did not want to make them choose sides.

"I CAN WALK!" she heard Harry shout. "I've done it!"

Hermione sighed and set her cup of coffee aside.

She didn't want to be here when Harry or his therapist came out. She quickly and quietly grabbed her cloak and her things, and slipped out of the house.

Hermione did no want to go directly to work. She needed to talk to someone.

For some reason she thought of Cho. She hoped her friend would be home and not in a dance class at her studio.

Cho was Harry's best friend, but Hermione had grown quite close to her over the years. And she had a feeling that as someone who knew Harry well, Cho might be able to give some advice.

She Apparated over to Neville and Cho's place and knocked on the door. Hermione was pleased when her dark haired friend answered.

"Hermione!" Cho exclaimed.

"Hi," Hermione managed a wan smile. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," Cho said standing back. "What brings you by?"

"Just wanting to talk," Hermione said, setting her bag down.

"Can I get you some coffee or tea?" Cho asked.

"I'd love some tea," Hermione followed her into the kitchen. "Cho, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Cho replied as she put on the kettle.

"When Harry lost Sirius," Hermione began. "How did you... talk to him? Deal with him?"

Cho turned and looked thoughtfully at her. "That was a long time ago."

"I know but... I just don't know what to do anymore." Hermione said. "I don't know how to be around him."

"Well," Cho said. "He was really quiet afterwards. He felt guilty, of course. Neville, Ron and I all tried to get him to see it wasn't his fault, but he did not want to listen."

"Did he carry on?" she asked. "Did he scream and shout and be angry all the time?"

"At times," Cho recalled. She turned as the kettle came to a boil. She poured them each a cup and they sat down at the table. "He handles things a little differently because of how he grew up I think. He had to bottle up a lot of what he felt."

He can tell me anything," Hermione said. "He knows that. But all he'll say is that I would never understand, because I can walk and do magic."

"I had no idea things were so bad," Cho said, worry etched across her face.

Hermione stared miserably down at the cup in front of her. "I think he hates me now."

Cho shook her head. "He loves you."

"He hasn't said that to me since the day he... came back." Hermione said. "I can't do anything right. If I use magic in front of him, I'm rubbing it in his face that he can't. If I don't use it, I'm treating him like an invalid. I'm afraid to even walk anywhere in the house."

"Oh, Hermione," Cho said reaching across the table and patted her friend's arm.

"I can't handle it anymore," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes. "If things don't get better... I don't think I want to stay with him anymore."

"Hermione," Cho said sympathetically. "You don't mean that. You and Harry--"

"He won't talk to me," Hermione continued. "He won't open up. We barely have a marriage anymore."

"Have you thought about counselling?" Cho asked.

Hermione scoffed. "You don't think he'd go for that."

Cho shook her head. "No, probably not."

She shook her head. "I just don't know what else to do."

"Maybe I could talk to him?" Cho asked.

Hermione shrugged. "I don't think it'll do anything."

"Well, I'm not going to let him mess this up," Cho said fiercely. "You're the best thing that ever happened to him."

"I'm glad someone thinks so," Hermione said quietly.

"He does too," Cho said. "Stubborn git."

Hermione managed a watery smile.

"He loves you," Cho said.

"He used to," Hermione said sadly.

"He still does," Cho said, squeezing her hand. "He just is wallowing in his own self-pity. I remember how single-minded he was when he was preparing to fight You-Know-Who."

"Why can't he just accept help?" Hermione asked. "That he has so many people that love him?"

"Deep down he knows that," Cho said. "But he's so determined to walk again and to do magic. And he doesn't realise that he's pushing away the people who would do anything for him."

Hermione wiped her eyes with the napkin Cho handed her. "I don't know how to break through to him anymore. I spend most of my time at the mansion or at the Ministry."

"Maybe you have to be cruel to be kind," Cho said thoughtfully. "Take a few days away. Stay with Saffy or Julie."

"That might be nice," Hermione nodded. "I love spending time with the grandchildren."

"I think it would do you a world of good," Cho said. "In fact, maybe you and Saffy could go on a mini-holiday."

Hermione smiled a bit. "That's a really nice idea."

"Neville and I will check on Harry," Cho promised.

"Okay," Hermione said, feeling slightly uneasy and relieved at the same time.

Cho slid her chair over and hugged her friend. "It will be okay."

"I hope so," Hermione wiped her eyes again.

Cho and Hermione chatted a little longer before Hermione left to set things up with Saffron.

Cho got herself dressed while growing angrier at the thought of how Harry was treating Hermione.

She could not believe he was doing this. If he was not careful, he was going to push Hermione and his family away.

She tied back her hair, then grabbed some Floo powder and headed over to the cottage. "Harry!" she called out, brushing soot off her clothes.

"Cho?" Harry called out in surprise from the office.

Cho crossed her arms as Harry wheeled himself into the sitting room. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

"The better question would be what are YOU doing here?" Cho asked pointedly.

"Walking," Harry said shortly.

"Where's your wife?" Cho asked.

"She was in the kitchen," Harry said. "Perhaps she's upstairs."

"Really?" Cho asked. "So, you've seen her this morning?"

"Of course I--" he began, but stopped.

"Can't remember?" Cho asked.

Harry glared at her.

"What was the last conversation you had with her?" Cho asked. "When was the last time you kissed her? When was the last time you thanked her for all that she's done?"

"This is none of your damn business," Harry snapped. "Hermione does what I ask because she wants to help me recover."

"You don't want anyone's help!" Cho retorted.

"Because no one can help me walk!" he roared. "No one can get my magic back but ME!"

"I remember you saying the same thing when you were preparing to fight You Know Who," Cho countered. "Neville wanted to help you practice but you berated him. Ron tried to help you, but you pushed him away. You left the bloody castle without saying goodbye to me and you nearly got yourself killed!"

"This is completely different," Harry snapped at her.

"That's right," Cho said, kneeling down to look him in the eye. "You have a wife and a family to lose."

"I'm not losing them," Harry said coolly.

"Not yet," Cho said.

"Look," Harry said. "I'm wasting time here that I could be spending trying to walk again. Once I do that, I can start providing for my family again the way I'm supposed to."

Cho put her hand on his arm. "So you're not going to interact with them UNTIL you walk?"

"Stop twisting my words around," Harry replied.

"Truth hurts doesn't it?" Cho asked.

Harry glared at her again. "I don't need anyone telling me how to live."

Cho stood up. "I see."

Harry pushed his wheelchair back. "I have work to do."

Cho watched him go and could only shake her head.

Hermione was right. He was a different person.