Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance 2 by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance 2

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Tonight's chapter is a little long, but not short on action. We hope you enjoy and please, please read and review!

Tired of waiting for the Muggle police or the Aurors to do anything about David Wright, Frankie and Mallory decided to look for them on their own. They left Will at home with the twins and simply told him they were going shopping.
"He used to go to a place like this before he and Abbie were married," Mallory shuddered as she looked at the dirty pub.

"Figures," Frankie said scrunching up her nose in disgust.

"I'll peek in and if he's not here, we'll go to another." Mallory told her.

Frankie nodded.

Mallory took a deep breath and slid inside the door.

Sure enough, she spotted her former brother-in-law sitting hunched over at the bar.

Mallory felt a cold chill creep down her spine as she motioned to Frankie.

"He's there?" Frankie whispered.

Mallory nodded, unable to trust her voice. David Wright terrified her like no other person on the planet.

Frankie gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "We can do this, Mal."

"Thanks Frankie," Mallory was bolstered by the other woman's confidence. "How long will it take you to change?"

Frankie reached into her bag for the small flash. "Just a few moments."

"Okay," Mallory nodded. "I'll bar the door so he can't get out once you start."

Frankie nodded. She was scared and nervous, too. David Wright was dangerous and unpredictable and if Will knew what they were doing he would go ballistic. But, every time Frankie had doubts, she thought about that scared little four-year old cowering under Luna's table.

She straightened her spine and went into the men's loo while Mallory crouched unseen on the other side of the bar.

She watched as David motioned for the bartender.

"Another," he pushed his glass forward. "And keep them coming."

The bartender poured David another glass and Mallory resisted the urge to throttle the man.

David slammed back the liquor and shoved the glass forward again. "That better be full when I come back."

David stumbled toward the loo and Mallory said a silent prayer as she followed him.

He went inside and she grabbed a nearby chair, propping it up under the door.

Inside the bathroom, Frankie listened from her cubicle as David cursed.

She dropped the hair into the potion and looked down at it for a few moments before tipping the vial back and swallowing it.

David was leaning over the sink and splashing water on his unshaven face.

Frankie felt her body change- her hair lightening and growing wavy, her face narrowing up a bit. She took a deep breath. "David..." she whispered.

David looked up and saw the reflection of his dead wife in the mirror.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" he shouted, stumbling and hitting himself against a stall.

"Miss me?" Frankie asked with a smirk.

"How the-- what the--" he was too stunned to speak as he tried to back away from her.

"It's been a long time," Frankie said moving toward him.

"You're not real..." David managed. "You're dead."

Frankie laughed. "Am I?"

"You have to be," he said.

Frankie laughed again and got right up in his face. "You know that's the funny thing about the past, David. It always has a way of coming back to...haunt...you."

David stumbled again and this time fell on the floor. "Stay away from me!"

Frankie towered over him, anger surging through her. "Stay away from you? Like you stayed away from me? Like you stayed away from my daughter?"

David opened his mouth to say something but Frankie cut him off.

"She was just a baby!" Frankie yelled, training her wand on him. "She was just a scared little girl, but you didn't care!"

David scrambled backwards, reaching for the door. He was terrified to find it locked and he looked back at his former wife as she seemed to float closer to him.

"Not so much fun on this side, is it?" Frankie asked.

"I'm sorry," he nearly wept. "What do you want me to do?"

"Sorry?" Frankie asked leaning over him. "You're sorry? I don't get to see my daughter grow up and you're SORRY?"

David let out a whimper. "What do you want me to do?"

Frankie stomped her foot down on his chest. "I want you to turn your sorry arse in. Confess to what you did to me and to my daughter."

"I can't." he managed.

"Wrong answer," Frankie said pointing her wand at him. "I'm calling the shots here. Not you."

"Abbie--" he began.

"Turn yourself in," Frankie interjected. "Or I will haunt you until the day you die, you miserable son-of-a-bitch."

Mallory remembered her cue and pulled the chair out from under the door then stood aside. She had called the police on her phone, and she could hear they'd just arrived outside.

"You are never going to hurt my daughter again," Frankie told him. "Never. She has a good family and a good life now."

"Fine," David promised. "Anything. Don't hurt me."

There was a pounding at the door and Frankie lifted her foot off of David's chest. "You know what you have to do."

David looked up at the door and when he went to look back at Abbie, she was gone.

"Abbie?" David asked blinking his eyes.

The door burst open, slamming him in the back.

Frankie came out from the alley where she had Apparated and tapped Mallory on the shoulder. The other woman turned and gaped at her.

"What's wrong?" Frankie had forgotten she still looked like Abbie.

"Abbie," Mallory whispered.

"Oh," Frankie stepped back. "Mal-- I'm sorry. I shouldn't have... not while I look like this."

"It's okay," Mallory said hastily. "It's just--jarring."

"Did they get him?" Frankie asked softly.

Mallory nodded and motioned toward the front of the pub where the police were leading David out in handcuffs.

Frankie felt a real sense of accomplishment. "I can't believe we pulled this off."

"It's really over," Mallory said, still staring at Frankie.

"They won't let him out this time," Frankie said with certainty. "Not after he broke parole, robbed a chemist... came near Hannah..."

Mallory smiled. "She's never going to have to worry about him again."

"I'm starting to change back," Frankie said. "We should get out of here."

Mallory nodded. "Let's go."

The two women hurried back to Frankie and Will's, bolstered by their victory.

"Frankie?" Will asked coming out of his study. He stopped as he got a good look at his wife, or at least he thought it was his wife.

"Hi sweetheart," Frankie said as her hair darkened.

"What the hell?" Will asked.

"Sorry," Frankie said. "Thought I'd have changed back by now.

"Changed back?" Will asked. He folded his arms. "You didn't go shopping."

"You won't believe what we did!" Frankie said triumphantly. She filled him in on what had just happened.

"Frankie, you didn't,

" Will said, shaking his head. "Are you out of your mind!"

"What?" Frankie asked. "We told you..."

"She was amazing," Mallory said. "Absolutely amazing!"

"How could you two do something so dangerous?" Will demanded.

"What?" Frankie asked. "It worked!"

"He really could have hurt you!" Will exclaimed.

"He was scared out of his mind!" Frankie exclaimed. "Not to mention so pissed--"

"Which means he could have been more volatile," Will shook his head.

"Honestly, Frankie."

Frankie put her hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, William."

"The man is a murderer," Will said. "I just... I didn't want anything to happen to you."

Frankie hugged him tightly. "And I didn't want to wait around for him to terrorize my family."

"Should have let the police handle it," Will told her.

"They are handling it now," Frankie said.

"Good," Will relaxed.

"How are Nate and Izzie?" Frankie asked.

"In bed," Will replied.

"So, you're not mad?" Mallory asked, taking off her coat.

"I really wish you two had told me what was going on," Will said. "David Wright is an extremely dangerous man.... and he could have really hurt you both."

Frankie opened her mouth to argue with him, but she knew that Will was right.

"I'm just glad you're both all right and that bastard is where he belongs again," Will finished. "I'm sure we'll be hearing about him being behind bars again soon."

"And I want to tell Hannah," Frankie said.

Will nodded. "I think she'll feel better knowing he can't get to her again."

"I want to tell her now," Frankie said.

"Let's firecall her," Will said. "I know how we can get the connection to Hogwarts, and the headmaster can put us to Gryffindor."

"Perfect," Frankie said squeezing his hand.

"Abbie used to talk about firecalls," Mallory said. "I never got to see one though."

"You will now," Frankie said, happy at the thought of seeing her daughter.

Mallory was also eager to see her niece. She crowded next to Frankie as Will tossed some powder into the fire.

Thankfully, Headmaster Wood agreed to connect them to the Gryffindor common room.

Frankie peered through the flames and as luck would have it, saw her daughter sitting with her nieces at a nearby table. "Hannah!" she called out.

"Mum?" Hannah asked, running toward the fireplace.

"Hi baby," Frankie beamed at her.

"Is something wrong?" Hannah asked.

"Nope," Frankie said. "Something is actually quite right. David Wright is back in jail."

Hannah's eyes grew large. "They caught him?"

"Your aunt and I helped," Frankie motioned to Mallory to lean in.

"Aunt Mal!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Hi sweetheart," Mallory couldn't help but grin at her niece.

"This is real?" Hannah asked. "Really?"

"You bet it is," Frankie said proudly. "You have nothing to worry about with him, ever again!"

The smile on Hannah's face nearly brought tears to Frankie's eyes.

Mallory felt the same way and gave her arm a squeeze. Will also smiled. "We'd do anything to keep that smile on your face, Hannah. We love you."

"I love you too, Daddy," Hannah said softly.

"We'll talk to you soon, baby." Frankie said. "We just wanted to tell you the good news."

"I'm so glad you did!" Hannah exclaimed. "Night, Mummy!"

"Bye sweetheart," Frankie said before they pulled out of the fire.

"Did you see her face?" Frankie asked Mallory. "It was worth it just for that."

"Yes it was," Mallory agreed.

"For the first time in a long time, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of us," Frankie said to Will.

Will put an arm around her. "Sure has."

Frankie leaned against him.

Will looked over at Mallory. "Want some tea?"

"Absolutely," Mallory said. "I haven't eaten anything all day because I was so nervous about this."

"Me either," Frankie said. "It's not too late for some takeout."

"Perfect," Mallory agreed.

"I'll call for a pizza," Will said. "Vegetarian for my wife, and the meat lovers for us carnivores."

"I'm just going to check on the twins," Frankie said.

She quietly went upstairs and peeked into Isabelle's room. Her daughter was already asleep, breathing deeply.

Frankie knelt down and planted a kiss on Isabelle's soft cheek.

Nathan, on the other hand, was lying in bed with a Quidditch magazine. "What are you doing up?" Frankie asked him.

"I couldn't sleep," Nathan said sheepishly.

Frankie sat next to her son. "Anything on your mind?"

"Not much," Nathan said. "I'm glad you're home."

"Me too," Frankie hugged him to her. "You have school in the morning, so try and get some sleep."

"Will you make waffles tomorrow?" Nathan asked pleadingly.

Frankie laughed. "Sure," she agreed.

Nathan hugged her. "Love you, Mummy."

"I love you too," Frankie kissed the top of his head. Not for the first time she wondered how anyone on earth could hurt their child. She loved hers more than anything else and couldn't imagine something like that happening to them.

*** *** ***

Caroline Weasley flew past the Slytherin section on the Quidditch pitch and swore she felt Katie's eyes shooting daggers at her. She tried to shake it off because she had more important things to worry about, like this match against Ravenclaw. Of course, it didn't help that she was still reeling over Bradley's confession the other night in the Owlery. To make matters worse, Katie was not speaking to her because in her words, she had gone after Bradley.


She kept her eyes on the Bludgers and stayed near the Seeker. Perhaps smacking one of those ugly red balls away would help her frustration.

Bradley flew by her and sent her a grin, which made her stomach do little flips.

"No," Caroline told herself. "Not now. Not yet. Focus."

The best players knew how to put everything aside and just concentrate on the match, Caroline told herself. That was what Uncle RJ and her father always said.

Caroline flattened herself against her broom and zoomed towards a Bludger, smacking it with her bat towards the Ravenclaw seeker.

The Gryffindor students cheered.

"I was hoping she'd miss it," Lindsey used her Omnioculars. "Fall off..."

Katie looked at her. "I don't want her to get hurt, Linds."

"Well I guess I don't either," Lindsey said. "But still..."

"Yeah," Katie said taking the Omnioculars from her friend.

Tegan was peering into her own pair. "He keeps flying by her."

Katie had seen that too.

"He just did it again," Lindsey said. "I can tell from here that he's all OVER her."

Katie glared at her. That was all she needed. Everyone knew about the big blow up in the library. She did not want them to think that her boyfriend had thrown her over for Caroline.

"Oh come on," Lindsey said. "I know he dumped you but still. You have KEVIN."

Katie wanted to point out that she did not technically have Kevin. Yet, anyway, Katie thought to herself.

"You're like, the power couple of the moment," Lindsey said. "He's soooooo hot."

Tegan grinned, a dreamy expression on her face. "You'll be in all the magazines."

Katie smiled. "Yes- and that mean I'd always have to be looking good- totally in fashion."

"We can be your people!" Tegan exclaimed excitedly.

Katie laughed. "My assistants. I like that."

"We're already her people," Lindsey said to Tegan. "By the way, I'm thirsty. Go and fetch us some juice or something."

Katie elbowed her. "You could ask nicely, you know."

"Please," Lindsey said rolling her eyes.

"Tegan's not a slave, you know," Katie said to Lindsey. "I'm not like Jemima and you're not either."

"Merlin, no," Lindsey said. She looked at the younger girl. "Sorry, Tegan."

"It's okay," she offered before heading towards the edge of the stands.

"Better," Katie said to Lindsey.

Lindsey leaned back. "This match is so boring. It's only fun when Gryffindor loses."

"Maybe I should try and talk to Bradley afterwards," Katie said thoughtfully.

"You think he'd listen?" Lindsey asked.

"Who can resist me?" Katie asked with a grin. "Besides, I can't have everyone thinking HE walked out on me."

"You do have an image to protect," Lindsey agreed.

"Absolutely," Katie said training her Omnioculars on the sky, trying to find some sign of Bradley.

"Bradley IS cute," Lindsey said, using Tegan's Omnioculars. "But he is no Kevin."

Katie smiled at the thought of Kevin. She had written back to him last night and had sent the letter off this morning.

"I really think when you see each other, sparks will just fly," Lindsey said.

"You really think so?" Katie asked.

"Duh," Lindsey said. "SO obvious he wants you."

Katie grinned. "I hope so. He's everything I've ever wanted."

Lindsey squealed. "If you get married, do I get to be in your wedding?"

Katie giggled. "Linds that might be a little presumptuous."

"You never know," Lindsey said, grimacing as she watched Caroline knock the Bludger away again.

Katie nearly clapped but stopped herself just in time.

"I wouldn't be surprised if she hit it toward us," Lindsey said.

"She wouldn't," Katie said as the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor seekers flew past them in pursuit of the Snitch.

"Here's some hot chocolate," Tegan balanced three cups in her hands. "I hope that's okay."

"That's perfect," Katie said smiling at her. "Thank you."

"Low fat too," Tegan said. "I told the elves no marshmallows."

"You are perfect assistant material," Katie said.

Caroline was still trying to keep the Bludgers away from their Seeker and she really hoped that one of them could catch the Snitch soon. There had never been so awkward a match before.

Thankfully, her wish was granted when the Gryffindor seeker caught the Snitch sealing the victory for Gryffindor.

Caroline flew to the ground to celebrate with her team mates.

She had just touched down when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Bradley!" she exclaimed in surprise. "What--"

"You had a great match," he said. "I just wanted to say congratulations."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "You guys played well."

"Not well enough," Bradley said. "Obviously."

Caroline smiled. "Well, the best team won," she joked.

"Listen," Bradley said moving closer to her.

"Yeah?" she asked, her heartbeat quickening.

"I was hoping that we might talk some more," Bradley said softly. "About the other night..."

Caroline looked away shyly.

"I've been thinking a lot about it," Bradley said.

"Me too," Caroline admitted.

Bradley smiled. "You have?"

"Yes," she said. "But I still don't know if--"

Her voice trailed off as she saw Katie approaching them.

"Bradley," Katie said warmly. "I've been waiting to talk with you."

Bradley sighed and turned around. "Not now, Katie."

"But I'm sure you'd like to be cheered up after your loss," Katie took his arm, neatly closing Caroline out of the conversation.

"I'm sorry," Bradley said pulling his arm back. "You do remember the other night in the library?"

"That was just a silly argument," Katie replied.

Bradley shook his head. "You're really amazing, Katie. Absolutely."

"I know," Katie replied. "You always did like to tell me that."

"Caroline, can I walk you to the locker room?" Bradley asked turning away from Katie.

"Um... I suppose that would be nice," Caroline agreed hesitantly.

Bradley smiled. "Let's go."

Katie was fuming as Bradley and Caroline walked away.
She did not know who she was angrier with---her boyfriend or her best friend. No one left her standing alone like that, not a friend or an enemy. Damage control, Katie said, her mind working on the best way to salvage this.

She decided to follow them to the locker rooms. Katie stayed close behind and listened to their conversation.

"So what are you doing the rest of the day?" Bradley asked Caroline. "Besides celebrating your win."

"Probably just some homework," Caroline replied.

Bradley smiled at her. "I couldn't convince you to go for a walk?"

Caroline blushed. "I don't know if that's wise..."

"Why not?" he asked.

"I just don't know," Caroline hedged. "It wasn't long ago at all that you and Katie broke up--"

Katie smiled. Loyal Caroline.

"But I already told you I fancied you anyway," Bradley replied. "I just didn't think you were interested."

"I was, but Katie---" Caroline tried to explain .

"Katie and I are over," he told her. "If she had just told me she was writing to that Kevin bloke..."

"She's my best friend," Caroline said. "And maybe they're just friends."

"He was talking some rubbish about them being under the same moon." Bradley said darkly.

Caroline sighed, unsure of what to say.

"Will you just think about us?" he asked her. "Please?"

"I suppose a walk wouldn't be out of the question," Caroline relented.

"Really?" he asked with a grin.

"Yeah," Caroline said, unable to resist smiling back at him. "But, your ego is going to take a beating. I'm going to tell you about how awesome Gryffindor is..."

Bradley laughed. "I'll find a way to deal."

"My sister has an in with the kitchen elves," Caroline said. "I might be able to get us something."

"Great," Bradley said. "I'll meet you in the front hall around four?"

"Okay," Caroline said. "I'll see you then."

Katie watched them separate and if she thought she was angry before, that was nothing compared to now.

What would everyone think when they saw Bradley and Caroline walking around the grounds?

Without another thought Katie barged through the doors to the locker room. "What do you think you're doing?" she demanded.

Caroline had just set her broom down and looked up in surprise. "Katie?"

"How could you go out with Bradley?" Katie asked angrily.

"How did you---" Caroline started to ask.

"That doesn't matter" Katie interrupted.

"You were eavesdropping," Caroline said, folding her arms.

"I knew you were just waiting for the right time," Katie ignored her accusation.

"What?" Caroline asked taken aback.

"You've fancied him since the summer hols," Katie crossed her arms. "And you were just waiting until the first sign of something wrong to move in."

Caroline shook her head. "You know I would never do something like that, Katie."

"Whatever," Katie huffed.

"He was my friend way before he was your boyfriend," Caroline pointed out.

"Then maybe you should have moved in on him before I did," Katie hissed.

Caroline sighed. "Look, you're not supposed to be here and I need to shower."

"For your date," Katie sneered, "You know you're only rebound."

"What?" Caroline asked.

"You think he could get over me this quick?" Katie asked.

Caroline did not answer. Katie was only voicing the doubts that Caroline had about Bradley's interest.

Katie glared at her. "I would have thought more of my supposed best friend."

Caroline looked down.

"You know I'm right," Katie replied coldly. "You're going to regret this."

"What about Kevin?" Caroline asked.

"I guess that's none of your business anymore," Katie said evenly. "Unless you're interested in him too."

"You know I'm not!" Caroline shot back.

Katie made a harrumphing sound. "Whatever, Caroline. Just watch your back. No one crosses me."

Caroline watched her stalk out of the locker room. "Are you kidding me?" Caroline asked herself.

Bradley's interest in her so soon after breaking things off with Katie was suspect. But, he had said that he had fancied her first.

She decided that she'd ask him right out. Find out if it were true. If he played games, she would move on.

She wished her mother were there to talk to about all this. But, Caroline thought sadly, she was really on her own. Perhaps talking it over with Mia would help.

She hurriedly showered and dried off then headed back up towards the castle

The Gryffindor common room was in full celebration mode and Caroline hurried upstairs to find Mia.

"Hey," the blonde greeted her. "Congratulations on your win today!"

"Thanks," Caroline said. "I--I need your advice."

"On what?" Mia asked. "Are you okay?"

Caroline sat down on the bed and told Mia everything that had happened after the match.

"She seriously accused you of stealing away Bradley after she was owling romantic notes with Kevin?" Mia asked in disbelief.

Caroline nodded. "And then she said that he was only doing it to get back at her."

Mia rolled her eyes. "You know what? Katie can't handle someone picking you over her."

"So you don't think Bradley's just playing me to get back at Katie?" Caroline asked.

"He doesn't seem the type," Mia said truthfully.

"I really like him," Caroline admitted. "But Katie---"

"If she's with Kevin, what the bloody hell does she still want Bradley for?" Mia asked.

Caroline shrugged. "Keeping her options open, I imagine."

"She can't have them both," Mia said. "And if Bradley wants to be with you...."

"So, you think I should still meet him later then?" Caroline asked.

Mia grinned. "Go for it."

Caroline blushed. "I think I will."

"I always had a feeling he fancied you," Mia told her.

"I thought so too, but once Katie set her sights on him, it was all over," Caroline said thoughtfully.

"You shouldn't always step aside for everyone else," Mia said

"That's what Bradley said," Caroline said.

"He's a smart guy," Mia squeezed her hand. "Go for it Caroline. You deserve to be happy."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "Now, I have to go find Em and see if she can smuggle me out some hot chocolate and biscuits."

Mia laughed. "Knowing her, she's probably already got some."

Caroline giggled. "It helps to have connections."

"Especially of Emma's calibre," Mia said. "I'll see you later."

"Thanks, Mia," Caroline said. She hated being angry with Katie, but Mia was right. It was time to stop putting herself last.

She found her sister who was only too happy to accompany her to the kitchens.

"Is this for the celebration?" Emma asked. "Or just for you?"

"For me," Caroline said quickly. She was not about to tell her sister about Bradley.

Emma grinned. "You finally got the Weasley appetite!"

"Better late than never right?" Caroline joked. "Thanks Em."

"I made the biscuits myself," Emma said handing her a basket . "They love to see me bake!"

Caroline laughed. "I think you're the only one to ever bake in these kitchens aside from the elves. Way to go, Em."

Emma beamed at her. "For some reason they love me."

Caroline smiled affectionately at her sister. "Everyone loves you, Em."

"Even Adam," Emma joked.

"He'll never admit it," Caroline tugged on one of Emma's red curls. "Thanks Em. See you later."

"Bye, Sissy," Emma said with a wave.

Caroline hurried to the front hall. She knew she'd be a few minutes early but was surprised to already see Bradley waiting for her.

"Hi," Caroline said shyly.

"Hey," he grinned at her. "You look great."

"Thanks," Caroline said. "You too."

He took her hand in his and they went outside. "I managed to get some biscuits that Emma made," Caroline said. "Can you believe that the elves let her bake?"

"Whoa," Bradley said. "They must really like her."

"She loves food as much as they do," Caroline said as they headed towards the lake.

Bradley laughed and they continued in companionable silence. Carolina smiled as she noticed he was still holding her hand.

"So how crazy was it in Gryffindor?" he asked. "I'm surprised they didn't make you stay."

"The party was still going on when I left," Caroline said. Her smile faltered as she remembered the conversation with Katie.

He noticed her expression. "I shouldn't have asked you to miss it. It's as much your celebration--"

Caroline shook her head. "No that's not it. I had a conversation with Katie in the locker room."

His expression darkened as well. "What did she say?"

Caroline let go of his hand. She wasn't so sure how to broach this subject."

"Just tell me," he said.

Caroline sighed. "She said...she implied that you were only showing interest in me to get back at her."

He stared at her for a long moment and Caroline felt a sinking sensation in her stomach. Katie hadn't been right, had she?

"Is that what you think?" Bradley finally asked.

Caroline shook her head. "I like to think you're better than that."

Bradley took her hand. "I fancied you first. When I saw you in Brighton, I was thinking this was my chance."

"And I was playing it cool because Katie saw you and liked you," Caroline shook her head.

"I really cared about Katie," Bradley admitted.

''She's not a bad person," Caroline said. "She just likes attention. And she's always fancied Kevin, even while he was dating Ashley. I guess the thought of having a famous boyfriend was just too good to pass up..."

"And me having a chance with you is too good to pass out," Bradley said softly.

Caroline felt her stomach flutter as he leaned in.

"You're amazing," Bradley said touching her cheek. "You're smart, funny, warm.."

"Are you bloody kidding?" Caroline heard someone whisper loudly.

Caroline closed her eyes and bit her lip. Katie was watching them?

She turned slightly and saw three huddled figures behind a tree. Katie and her two minions, obviously.

"Alright," Bradley asked.

Caroline turned back to him. "Fine." she said. "Just fine."

Bradley smiled. "Where were we?"

Caroline heard another muffled giggle and made up her mind. She leaned in and pressed her lips to his.

Bradley wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close.

It was Caroline's first kiss and he seemed to know that. Bradley moved his hand up into her hair and gently opened her mouth to his.

Caroline momentarily forgot about Katie watching just a few feet away.

"Wow..." Lindsey whispered. "I cannot believe she's kissing your boyfriend."

"Nor can I," Katie said angrily.

"What are you going to do about it?" Tegan asked

"Just you wait," Katie replied.

Caroline and Bradley pulled away from each other and smiled. "I've been waiting to do that," she said.

"Me too," Bradley said softly.

Caroline leaned in and kissed him again. "Now I'm really glad I'm missing the party."

"So no more doubts?" Bradley asked.

"None at all," she shook her head.

He led her over to a bench by the lake. Caroline grabbed the biscuits from the basket.

"Emma will be so upset if these aren't gone," Caroline said.

Bradley took one and took a bite. "These are amazing!"

"Emma was born knowing how to cook," Caroline told him.

"She's taking after your mum then?" Bradley asked.

"And our Nana," Caroline said. "She's the best."

Bradley put his arm around her and Caroline smiled.

"I could get really used to this," she said.

"Me too," Bradley said. "Well except the part where you beat me."

Caroline laughed. "You'll have to get over that."

"This helps," Bradley said with a grin.

"I bet it does," Caroline said as they kissed again.

She and Bradley ate the rest of the biscuits and continued their walk.

"Just wait until she comes back in the castle." Katie said when the three of them were walking back. "Just you wait."

"What are you going to do?" Tegan asked in a small voice.

"War," Katie said simply.

Tegan shuddered and Lindsey giggled. "I would hate to be Caroline Weasley," Lindsey said.

"Yeah but you did say you fancy Kevin," Tegan said softly. "What's the difference if she's going out with Bradley now?"

"It's a matter of appearances, Tegan," Katie said putting her arm around the younger girl. "What would it look like if MY boyfriend took up with my ex-best friend?"

"Not good," Tegan admitted uneasily. "I just don't think--"

"Just watch and learn," Katie told her.

Katie made them sit back and wait just off to the corridor that led to Gryffindor. It was a few hours when Caroline finally came back.

"Have a nice time?" Katie said coming up behind her.

Caroline sighed. "What do you want? Did you get tired of watching us?"

'As a matter of fact, I did," Katie said yawning.

Caroline shook her head and moved past the three of them.

"I'm not done with you," Katie said.

"Well I am done," Caroline replied. "You can't order me around, Katie."

"Poor little Weasley," Lindsey said shaking her head.

"You just wait until tomorrow," Katie said. "Everyone will know what you've done. Or rather... our version of it."

"And what is your version, Katie?" Caroline asked. "Hmmm? And why does it even matter to you? You have Kevin!"

"It doesn't matter what I have," Katie said. "You were supposed to be my best friend."

"I still am," Caroline said. "I took you back after the horrible way you treated me."

"And you went after Bradley anyway!" Katie exclaimed.

"I didn't go after him!" Caroline retorted.

"That's not what it looked like outside," Katie snapped. "I won't forget this, Caroline Weasley."

Caroline rolled her eyes. "I'm not getting into this with you, Katie. I'm done being a doormat."

Katie rolled her eyes. "Sure Caroline."

Caroline pushed past the three girls and hurried up the stairs.

"You're going to regret this tomorrow," Katie called to her. "Mark my words!"

"Oh dear," Tegan said quietly.

"You know what?" Caroline came marching back down. "Go ahead. Go ahead and spread some stupid rumour. I don't care. I like Bradley and he fancies me too, and we're going to have a go at a relationship. YOU decided to play off him and Kevin and you got caught"

Katie stepped back, a little shocked at Caroline's response.

"So do what you want," Caroline told her. "But you aren't going to beat me down, and I'm not going to back off on Bradley."

"Even if you're his second choice?" Katie countered.

"Don't even try that," Caroline told her.

"Touch a nerve, did I?" Katie asked smugly.

"No." Caroline said simply. "You didn't."

"Don't say you weren't warned," Katie said.

"I don't care," Caroline said. "Like I said, do what you want. But you won't bring me down."

"Keep telling yourself that," Katie said. "Come along, Tegan. Lindsey."

Lindsey lifted her nose in the air and followed Katie while Tegan gave Caroline a sorrowful look. "I'm sorry," the younger girl whispered to her.

Caroline wanted to say the same thing to the younger girl. She had picked the wrong sort of role model.

"Don't worry," Caroline said. "Go with Katie. Don't get yourself in trouble on my account."

The younger girl nodded and hurried to catch up with her fellow Slytherins.

Caroline looked after them for a moment before heading back into the tower. She didn't want to think of confrontations with Katie. She only wanted to think about Bradley and what kissing him had been like.

She was going to write her mother and tell her everything that had happened, right after she thanked Emma for the biscuits and Mia for the advice. There would be time to deal with Katie later.