Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Hey guys! Here's another chapter! It's not very long. BUT…since this is my only fic I'm working on at the moment, my updates shouldn't take that long. I'm not starting a new one anytime soon…no long ones at least. Maybe one or two one shots. Anyway, hope you like it.

Chapter 11

The sun was setting on his seventeenth birthday and Harry sat on the wooden porch swing that the Weasley's had put up last year, dangling from a tree. It was good to be at the Burrow and it was good to be outside and not cooped up inside on his birthday. He was shocked when he was told that his birthday would be at the Burrow, he thought they would have just a small gathering at Grimmauld.

A small gathering was the last thing he'd call it since so many people were there. Dumbledore made an appearance, along with Hagrid and some friends from school, like Neville, Dean and Seamus. Food was inhaled, laughter rang out through the house, paper shredded as he opened his presents…it was the best birthday party he ever had. Well, it was his first birthday party he had, so he really didn't have anything to compare it to, however he knew he would never forget it.

He also had the chance to try out his new racing broom his friends had given him for his birthday. They had a friendly match of Quidditch and Harry caught the Snitch so fast every time, that everyone else got so annoyed they made him play with his right hand tied behind his back. It was a challenge and definitely slowed him down a bit. Only by a few minutes though.

"Hey, birthday boy."

Harry looked up and grinned when he saw Hermione standing in front of him. "Hi."

"Can I sit down?"

Harry scooted over and patted the empty spot next to him. "Have a seat."

Hermione smiled as she sat next to him and laughed when he pushed them off with his feet. "I love porch swings," she sighed as she looked up at the few stars that were making an appearance. "It reminds me of when I was little and visited Gram."

"Gram?" he asked as he continued to slowly rock them with his feet. "I don't think I ever heard you talking about her."

She smiled. "I don't remember her a lot, she died when I was seven. I do remember visiting her during the summer at her house. She had a porch that wrapped around her entire house and a porch swing in the front. I remember sitting in it, thinking that one-day I'd have a house like this."

"Well, knowing you Hermione, if you want it bad enough…you'll get it."

She shared a smile with him. "So, have you had a good day?"

"The best. Where is everyone?"

"Back inside getting ready for our campfire Tonks and Lupin are taking us to."

He smiled as he gazed at the stars, which were twinkling more brightly now. "I've never been to a campfire."

"They're fun. We're having it by the pond. When I found out we were having one, I asked Lupin to run out and get some ingredients for S'mores. Course, he didn't know what they were, so I had to explain it to him."

Harry laughed. "Did he get everything right?"

"Yes, but only because he eventually had to ask someone," she laughed

They were silent for a while, both enjoying the night and each other's company. Harry found himself hoping that someday he'd have more days like this. Right now he felt like he didn't have a care in the world. He didn't think about Voldemort or the prophecy…he couldn't even if he wanted to. He was still basking in the pleasure of his birthday and being around everyone he cared for.

"I have something for you," Hermione finally said breaking the silence.

"Hmm?" Harry said turning his eyes away from the stars to look at her. "What's that?"

Hermione blushed as she looked down at her lap and pulled out a small red pouch. "It's nothing big, just something I thought you'd might like."

Puzzled, Harry took the draw stringed pouch from her. "Hermione…you didn't have to, you already gave me that broom, I…"

"That was from the group," she said cutting him off. "This is from me."

Harry sighed as he shook his head. "You're too good to me, Hermione," he mumbled as he pulled at the string of the pouch and then pulled out a silver chain necklace. At the end was a snitch that was dangling from it, but it wasn't gold. It was silver.

"I know it's weird that it's silver and not gold," Hermione rushed on as Harry dangled it from his finger. "I just thought it was something different."

"It's great…"

"Apparently, according to the witch," she continued flustered. "It's suppose to turn gold when you seek your true love or something like that."

Harry grinned at her rambling. "Hermione…"

"You know, because you're seeking for a snitch, just like your seeking for true love." She waved her hand. "She said it rarely happens, but it's probably just some story to make a sale."

He chuckled. "Well, it must have worked for you," he said as he placed the necklace over his head, than grabbed the snitch to get a better look at it. "It's great, Hermione…thank you so much."

She beamed at him. "I'm glad you like it."

He looked at her and gave her an honest smile. "I love it." He then reached up and cupped the back of her neck, leaned towards her and brushed his lips against her cheek. Their eyes met as he pulled back and he felt a small flutter in his stomach. "Thanks."

Hermione blushed and looked down at her lap. "You're welcome."

"There you guys are!" a familiar loud voice rang out and Harry and Hermione turned to see Ron standing a few feet away holding a bag of marshmallows, with everyone else crowded around him. "Let's get going and make some Smorts!"

Harry and Hermione both laughed and Harry shook his head. "They're called, S'mores, Ron," Harry said as they both got up from the swing.

"Whatever," he said rolling his eyes. "Let's get going!"