Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 17

Hermione tried to concentrate on the words her eyes traveled over, but it was difficult for her to concentrate. Her mind was on Harry and there wasn't any room left for anything else. She was nervous on what Dumbledore wanted to speak to Harry about, so she planned on waiting for him in the common room for as long as it took.

He had gotten up early. She heard him when she lied awake in bed. The sun had barely peaked through her window when she heard Harry emerge from his bedroom. It didn't surprise her how early it was; she knew Harry would be anxious. And now so was she.

She sighed as she slammed her Ancient Ruins book and tossed it aside, knowing it was pointless to continue reading. Instead, she decided to bode her time in pacing, so she got up and frantically walked back in forth in front of the fire. Surely, he'd be back soon. "Come on Harry, hurry…ahhh!"

Hermione saw the body coming at her from the fire and then felt it slam hard against her, toppling them both to the ground. The man grunted when he lay flat on top of her and Hermione's eyes widened when she realized who it was. "Harry!"

"Seven years of traveling by Floo Powder and yet I still can't get that landing," Harry winced as he slowly propped himself on his elbows. "You okay?"

"Oh sure, just besides the fact that you're lying on top of me, which makes it difficult for me to breathe." Merlin, his body was hard. Like solid rock.

"Sorry," Harry grinned sheepishly as he finally got up, then helped her up on her feet. "Didn't mean to tackle you."

Before she could reply and hi pitched yelp emerged and Hermione saw Harry turn fast to the fire and catch a small petite body from falling to the floor. "You okay?" Harry said to Emma as he helped her steady.

"Yeah," she said shakily. "That was…interesting."

Harry laughed. "Don't worry, I've been doing it for seven years and I'm still not use to it."

"Harry, what's going on?" Hermione asked warily as she looked at Emma.

Harry nodded one moment to Hermione than turned to Emma. "Emma, have a seat on the couch I'm going to have a word with Hermione."

"Harry, what's this about?" Emma asked nervously. "I'm a little scared."

Hermione watched Harry give her an encouraging smile and she almost gasped at the way Harry was looking at her. It was an endearing look. A look of adoration. "It's okay, Emma. I promise." He then turned to Hermione and took her hand and led her up the stairs until they were safely in Hermione's room. "I don't want to keep her waiting, so I'm going to give you the extra short version."

"Harry, what is it?" Hermione asked.

Harry smiled and placed his hands on her arms. "Emma's my cousin."

Hermione heard the words and slowly processed it, but still wasn't quite sure she believed it. "What?" she whispered.

Harry led her to the bed and they both sat down while he quickly told her exactly what Dumbledore told him. When he was done he took a deep breath and smiled brightly at her. "She's my family, Hermione."

Hermione felt the tears swarm in her eyes before she finally swung herself at him in a huge hug. "Oh, Harry," she cried as she clung to him. "I can't believe it."

Harry took a deep breath as he tried to control his emotions. He couldn't lose it yet, when he hadn't even told Emma yet. "I'm going to go tell her, Hermione," he said as he leaned back from the hug. "But we have to be careful and make sure this doesn't get out. I want to make sure Voldemort never finds out about her."

"You're right, we'll keep it quiet. As long as Voldemort never finds out, she'll be safe."

Harry stood up and rubbed his sweaty hands on his jeans. "I better go down there. Wish me luck."

Hermione stood up and kissed him on the cheek. "Don't worry, she'll be thrilled. She seems like such a sweet girl."

Harry grinned with pride. "She does. Gosh, Hermione I can't explain the love I feel for her. I even felt it before I knew the identity of my cousin. It's scary."

"Then go tell her. I'll wait here."

Harry nodded and then took a deep breath before finally leaving her and making his way back down to the common room to find Emma right where he left her. "Emma?"

She turned and smiled hesitatively as he took a seat next to her. "Hi."

"Hey. Sorry to keep you waiting, I'm sure your curious on what this is about."

She nodded. "A little. I was so nervous when I found out the Headmaster wanted to see me. I was afraid everything was a mistake and I had to go back to the orphanage."

Harry shook his head. "No, Emma, it wasn't a mistake. You definitely deserve to be here." Harry took a deep breath before continuing. "The Headmaster told me something this morning that changed my life forever and it has to do with you, Emma."

"Me?" She shook her head. "I don't understand."

"I knew your father, Emma."

She stared at him with wide eyes. "My father? No, that's impossible."

"Not impossible, Emma. Your father was my godfather. He went to school with my father and they were best friends." Harry touched her shoulder gently. "He fell in love with my father's sister. My aunt. Your mother."

Harry could see her mind whirling, trying to figure out what he was exactly saying. "Then that would make you my…"

"Cousin," he finished for her. "We're cousins."

She shook her head, as if it was too good to be true. "But I don't understand, I thought my parents died when I was a baby."

"It's true your mother died when she gave you birth, but your father…he died two years ago."

"Then why wasn't I with him!" she cried angrily as tears started to fall.

"He couldn't be, Emma," he said as his heart tore at the sight of her tears. "Your father was Sirius Black."

Her breath hitched in her throat and just as Harry thought, he knew she heard of Sirius Black and knew who he was. Sirius was in almost every historical book in the wizarding world and during Harry's sixth year, his name was finally cleared, even though it was too late for Sirius to enjoy it. "Emma," Harry finally said. "I didn't get to be with Sirius long, but I loved him very much. He was a great man and you should be nothing but proud that he's your father."

"I am proud," she sniffed as she wiped away her tears. "I don't understand how it was possible though, he was in Azkaban all those years ago."

Harry carefully repeated everything Dumbledore said to Emma word for word, making sure he didn't leave anything out. "Emma," he said as he gave her a soft smile. "I know this is a shock to you."

"It is," she said as she smiled through her tears. "But it's a good shock. I just wish I got to meet him."

Harry smiled brightly at Emma. "Oh, but you have."

Emma blinked. "What?"

"Do you recall a certain goofy, black dog that came to visit you a few years ago?" he said with a grin.

Her eyes brighten. "Of course! Oh, I loved that dog! He came to visit me for two years. I would play with him on the playgrounds, he was my only friend."

"That was your dad, Emma," he told her softly as he gave her a smile. "Your dad was an Animagus."

"The dog was my dad?" she repeated in barely a whisper and then sobbed uncontrollably. "So…that's why he stopped coming. He died."

Harry put a hand on her back, trying his best to comfort her. "I'm sorry, Emma. I know this is hard."

She then surprised him when she suddenly flung into his arms. "Thank you, Harry," she sobbed. "Thank you for finally giving me a family."

He hugged her tight. "You're my family, Emma," he managed to say. "I know this is sudden and I don't know if you want to but…" He pulled away so he could look at her and held her hands with his. "Sirius would want me to take care of you and…that is if you want to…I'd like you to come live with me. I want to give you a home."

Emma smiled brightly and wrapped her tiny arms around him. "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, Harry, than with you."

For Harry, it was a bittersweet moment. He was happy that he found her, that he had someone to care for and someone he could call family. But the other side, he couldn't promise Emma he'd always be there for her. The prophecy rang through his head and he knew that he might not be around by the end of the year, but he would make sure that Emma would be safe and loved.