Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 5

Harry stopped and looked up at the dark sky and was surprised that the storm had held on for as long as it did. He hitched Hermione higher up on his back so he could get a better grip. "How are you doing?"

"I'm the one getting a piggy back ride, Harry, I'm doing just fine." She moved her head to the side of his so she could look at his face. "The question is how are you doing?"

"I'm fine," he said distracted as his eyes circled for some kind of sign of shelter. A loud crack of thunder exploded above them. "We really need to find shelter, the storm is right above us."

"Harry, you can't keep carrying me...."

"I told you I'm fine...." He stopped suddenly and looked to his right, squinting into the trees. There was a piece of large rock in the distance and it very well might be part of a cave of some sort.

"What is it? Do you see something?"

"Maybe." He gently put her back on the ground and turned around to face her. "You stay here..."

"Harry, I'm not...."

"No, listen to me," he said firmly. "I think I might see something up ahead and it's hidden in some dense branches. There's no sense in you making the hike unless you have to. You stay here with the cloak, I'll be right back."

She looked worried, but she didn't protest any further. "All right, I'll stay. Just...please, hurry back."

"I will..stay here and be quiet." He then slipped out off the cloak and headed off through the trees. He had to duck and maneuver his way to avoid sharp branches and the further he got the denser the branches closed in. He kept looking back to make sure Hermione was okay, even though he couldn't see her, he knew she could see him.

Finally, he passed the clearing and placed a hand on the huge slab of rock that slanted downwards. He ran his hands over it as he started to circle, praying for something that could protect them from the rain. He then saw a crevice in the rock and squatted on his heels to further examine it. It was big enough to slide one person through so he got on his tummy and shimmied his way through the crack. It was small, but it would work. The top was low so they wouldn't be able to stand, but it was tall enough to sit and wide enough to lie down. He hoped for something larger, since he knew Hermione was claustrophobic, but it would just have to do. He shimmied his way back out of the small cave and made his way back to Hermione.

"Did you find something?" he heard her say and then her head peaked out from the cloak.

He nodded. "Yes...it will be a tight fit Hermione and I know you don't like...."

"Lead the way."

"What?"

She shook her head. "It's really not the time to be picky so I have to push my phobia aside for now."

He gave her an encouraging smile. "It's really not that bad and I'll be right there with you."

She nodded. "I know."

"Let's loose the cloak for now," Harry said as he pulled it off of her. "It will be impossible to keep it on going through the bushes...think your ankle can hack it?"

"Sure, don't worry about me."

"Easier said than done," he said and then grabbed her hand. "Come on, just stay close and we'll go as slow as possible."

They moved slowly but they were making progress through the twigs and branches. The rain started to drizzle, but it wasn't hard enough for them to get soaked yet. "Almost there," he grunted as he pushed aside a brush trying his best to make it less painful for her when she passed through.

"I'm okay," she said shakily, but Harry could tell her ankle was starting to bother her.

By the time they made it to the clearing the rain was coming down a little harder. He helped her along the rock wall to the crevice and helped her onto her stomach and watched as she scooted her way inside. He followed right behind her and finally they were both out of the rain. "I really hope an animal doesn't live here," Hermione said as she ran her hands up and down her arms.

Out of breath, Harry sat up and leaned against the jagged wall. "Well...we're out of the rain...but now we're wet and cold."

"I'm freezing," she shuddered. "And my ankle is on fire."

Harry's heart went out to her and he couldn't help but admire her courage and determination. "C'mere," he said softly as he shifted his knees up and lent a hand out to her. "Body warmth will help."

She didn't hesitate and immediately scooted over to Harry and he gently brought her securely between his knees. He wrapped his arms around her and gently pushed her until her back was snuggled up against his chest. "You did good, Hermione," he whispered as she started to tremble in his arms. "You'll warm up here in a moment."

She closed her eyes as she rested her head against the crook of his shoulder. "Thanks, Harry."

"I'm going to get you out of this, Hermione." He leaned down and kissed her damp cheek. "I promise."

XXXX

Harry's eyes started to twitch as he felt himself start to wake. His lids slowly peaked open and his surroundings were dark and blurry and it took him awhile to remember where he was. His head was resting against the jagged rock wall and winced when he tried to lift it off the wall. Due to his uncomfortable position caused a horrible crick in his neck and he groaned in pain as he rubbed his neck.

"Harry?" Hermione said sleepily as she tilted her head up to look at him. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," he grunted as he shifted slightly. "Just a little stiff."

"Oh!" she said suddenly as she lifted her head off his chest and turned slightly towards him. "That wall couldn't be comfortable, Harry."

"Not really, no," he said as he rubbed his shoulder and hissed out a breath.

"And my sleeping against you couldn't have helped things," she sympathized.

"That didn't bother me," he said quickly. And it didn't.

"Here let me get that." She started to reach up and replaced his hand with her own.

"No, it's okay, Hermione...."

"Don't be silly. Here, turn your back to me."

Knowing she wouldn't take no for an answer he shifted around until his back was to her and waited while Hermione situated herself behind him. "Hermione," he said turning his head to look at her. "You really don't...." Hermione replied by pushing his head back around. "Okay, shutting up now."

Hermione started to rub his aching shoulders with her hands and he groaned in both pain and pleasure when she pressed down hard on a huge knot on his shoulder. "How does that feel?"

"Bloody fantastic," he admitted as he dropped his head down.

She laughed softly. "I never gave a massage before."

"Really? Well, you do it perfectly." He clenched his teeth when she hit another sore spot. "And we'll definitely be making a habit out of this from now on."

"Only if you return the favor," she said as she started to press her fingers down his back.

"Okay," he hissed and shot straight up when she pressed down hard on the arch of her back.

"You are so tense. I'm probably massaging six years of stress out of you."

"Yeah, probably right." He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. His mouth was dry and he was absolutely starving, but right now he felt more relax than he did in years. It was as if Hermione had a magic touch.

"Harry?" Hermione said softly as she started to lightly run her nails along his back.

"Hmm?"

She traveled her fingers over his torso and wrapped her arms around him as she rested her cheek against his back. "I'm scared."

Harry placed a hand over her linked fingers that were resting on his stomach. "I know, Hermione." He gripped her fingers tight. "I'll get us out of here. You have nothing to be afraid of, okay?"

She sighed as she hugged him closer. "I know, Harry." She then lifted her arms and wrapped them around his neck as she propped her chin on his shoulder. "I have faith in you."

Harry took in a shaky breath as her words left a slight ache in his heart. He reached up and took her hands again as he leaned his head to the side, letting it rest on her arm. "Thanks Hermione."

And they stayed like that, holding each other as minutes passed. They had no idea what time of the day it was, the cave barely let in any light. Harry finally was the first to move and turned towards her but his hands still managed to stay in hers. "Hermione...you stay here, I'm going to go out and...."

"Harry, no," she said urgently.

"Hermione," he pleaded. "We can't stay in here forever, I have to do something if I'm going to get us out of here."

"Then I'm coming with you."

"No," he said firmly. "It's not safe...."

"I don't care, Harry, I'm not...."

He held up a hand. "Hush," he said urgently as he opened his ears.

"What?" she whispered and no that alarmed look in Harry's eyes. She could practically feel his defensive walls build up around him.

"Hear that...something's going on outside."

They both stood still and perfectly still, not even breathing loud. They heard yells...mostly male voices and commotion. "Something's going on," Harry said quietly as he turned towards the opening.

"Harry, please," she whispered urgently. "Please...."

"Wait," he said quickly and held a hand back. They heard someone outside and Harry's heart lunged in his throat when he realized someone was coming into the cave. He backed up quickly until his whole body was pressed against Hermione, protecting her as much as he could. He held out his wand and saw that Hermione was holding hers out as well from behind him.

The person was on their belly scooting through and he flinched when the first half came to view. He saw blonde hair...short blonde hair, which didn't look familiar. But her face did. "Tonks!" He ran to her and grabbed her arms trying to help her up. "Who's out there with you?!"

"Lupin," she gasped trying to catch her breath. "Thank Merlin you guys are okay."

"We'll help," Hermione said. "We'll help you and Lupin."

"No..you guys go...now and Apparate to Grimmauld."

"But we're not aloud," Harry said.

"It was okay'ed by the Ministry. You can Apparate. Go! I'll go grab Lupin and we'll be right behind you."

Harry hesitated at first and shared a worried look with Hermione, but finally relented. They both nodded and Harry took Hermione's hand and with a loud crack, they were gone.

Tonks quickly made her way back out of the cave, checking her surroundings before she knew it was safe. Lupin was not far, just around the corner, so she stayed low to the ground and made her way towards him. She sighed in relief when he was where she left him, which was crouched down behind a boulder while hexes and flashing light flew overhead. "Found them," she said coming up next to him.

"You did?" he asked as he pressed his back against the bolder. "Where were they?"

"In a small cave...Lupin, they're too many, we have to get out of here."

They both flinched and crouched lower when a green light hit the tip of the rock. "Okay...let's go. You go first and…."

He was cut off suddenly by a howl of pain and his eyes widened when he realized the scream was coming from Tonks. He crouched down next to her and noticed she was under the Crutiatis Curse and quickly aimed his wand where the light was coming from. "Stupefy!" The connection was disconnected and he immediately wrapped Tonks shaking body into his arms. "It's okay...you're okay." He then closed his eyes and with a loud crack they Disaparrated seconds before a green light flashed through where they were once standing.