Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 19

"So where do you think Ron ran off to?" Hermione asked Harry as they made their way back up to the castle.

Harry shrugged. "Dunno…it's not like Ron to miss Hagrid's class. I'm sure he has a reason."

"Well, he better have one, or he's not looking at one inch of my notes," she sighed as they walked up the steps.

Harry laughed. "Whatever, Ron always manages to charm his way into your heart whenever he wants something from you."

"I hate to admit it, but you're right. Hopeless cases are my weakness."

Harry laughed at that and playfully elbowed her. "Good one, Hermione."

"Hermione?"

Harry and Hermione both turned to the sound of the voice to see Terry Boot walking up to them. "Hey, Terry," Hermione said with a smile. "What's up?"

"Er…Nothing I just…wanted to talk to you about…something, real quick."

Harry lifted a brow at his shyness as he watched Terry struggle with his words and looked more at the floor than at Hermione. He then noticed he was now looking at him, as if he was silently trying to tell him he'd like to speak with her alone. "Er…I'll just head on to the Prefects common room."

Hermione gave him a smile. "I'll meet you there. We have to discuss some things before the Prefects meeting."

Harry nodded. "Okay. Um…see ya later, Terry."

"See you at the meeting," he said with a small wave.

Harry walked off, fighting the urge not to look back at them. He had an idea what Terry wanted to talk about, he looked like a nervous guy about to ask a girl out on a date. He probably looked exactly like that in the fourth year when he asked Cho out to the Yule Ball. He didn't know exactly what he thought about Terry dating Hermione…his best friend. Terry seemed like a good guy, but was he good enough for her?

Harry shook his head as he head up the stairs. What was he worrying about? He didn't even know for sure if Terry was going to ask her out and even if he did, he shouldn't worry about one date. Hermione wasn't eleven anymore…she didn't need his constant supervision all the time. If a guy asked her out, she had every right to say yes.

Before he could think anymore about the subject of Hermione dating, the sight of Emma walking down the corridor made him stop short. He smiled softly and didn't notice the group of Slytherin first year boys walking towards her. Harry's smile dropped when he saw that one of the boys stuck out his foot and tripped his cousin, causing her to yell as she fell to the ground.

"Ooops, my foot slipped," the boy said sarcastically and his cronies laughed as they walked off.

Harry scowled and was heading towards her to help, but to his surprise someone beat him to it. He saw a familiar first year Gryffindor boy walk over to her, kneeling beside her. "Hey, are you okay?" the brown headed boy asked as he picked up one of her books that toppled out of her bags.

Harry moved to the side to stay out of view. "Yeah," she said shyly as she took the book from him. "I'm okay."

"Pay no attention to those guys, they're a bunch of gits," he said as he picked one last book up and handed it back to her as they both stood up.

"I know, it doesn't bug me," she said shoving the book inside her bag. "I'm use to it."

Harry watched the boy frown. "Use to it?"

Emma shrugged. "I wasn't the popular one at my orphanage."

"I'm sorry. I didn't have too many friends either, just my older siblings." The boy led out his hand. "I'm Jayce by the way. Jayce Spencer."

Emma smiled and took her hand. "Hi."

"Your Emma, right?"

Her eyes widened. "Yeah. You know who I am?"

"You're a Gryffindor, aren't you? Of Course I know who you are." Jayce shifted his bag further up on his shoulder. "Speaking of which, we better get going. We're late for Transfiguration."

"Excuse me," Harry said finally making himself known.

Emma and Jayce turned to see Harry walking towards them. Emma smiled and Jayce's jaw dropped. "You're Jayce, right?" Harry asked.

"Um. Yes…Yes, I'm Jayce," he stammered.

"Jayce, I saw what you did for Emma here. Twenty points to Gryffindor for helping out your classmate."

His eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Of course." He then flicked his wrist and a small piece of parchment appeared in his hand. "You two might want to give this to Professor McGonagall. It's a tardy excuse. You're going to need it, trust me. I was late once for her class my first year and I made sure I never was again."

"Thanks, sir," Jayce said as he took the pass.

"Please, call me Harry. I may be Head Boy, but I'm also your housemate. You guys go on now…head to class."

Jayce nodded at Harry, then turned to Emma. "Let's go, Emma."

Emma smiled and walked off with Jayce, but managed to turn back around to give Harry a private smile. He winked at her and watched with pure joy as Emma walked off with her new best friend.

"Hey."

Harry turned to see Hermione walking over to him. "Hey," he said with a smile.

"What are you grinning about?"

Harry smiled as they walked to the prefect's room together, telling her the whole thing. "It's a relief…knowing she has a friend now."

"I'm glad to hear it," she said as they walked into the common room together. They had a good fifteen minutes until all the Prefects met them for their weekly meeting.

"So," Harry said as they sat on the couch together. "What did Terry want?"

Hermione shrugged as she looked shyly at her lap. "He kind of…asked me out on a date for the upcoming Hogsmead visit."

Harry nodded as he stretched out his legs in front of him. "I kind of figured he was going to ask you out."

Hermione turned to him. "Really? How?"

"Just from how he acted. It was just like a guy who was nervous about asking a girl out. I did the same thing before I asked Cho out at the Yule Ball. Mind you, she did turned me down and I was completely embarrassed." He nudged her. "Did you turn him down?"

"No," she laughed. "I didn't turn him down. I think he's nice."

"Yeah, he seems to be." He patted her leg. "I'm sure you'll have a good time."

"Yeah," she said a little uneasily. "I guess."

"You guess?"

She sighed as she shook her head. "I don't know, I guess I'm just a little nervous. I've never been on a date before." She groaned as she slapped her hands over her face. "I'm seventeen and never been on a date, that's so sad!"

"Hermione," he laughed sympathetically as he pulled her hands away. "It's not sad. I've only been on one date and it was nothing to flaunt about. It'll be fine."

She looked at him hopelessly. "What if we have nothing to talk about?"

He shrugged. "Then you know it won't work out. That's what first dates are all about. Just be yourself, you're a great girl, Hermione."

"I guess I'd feel more comfortable if it was with someone I knew, you know." She then got an idea in her head and she smiled at him. "Unleeeess."

He gave her a worried work. "Unless what? I don't like that look, Hermione, what are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking…how much fun it would be if you and me went on a double date!"

Harry's eyes widened and held up his hands. "Oh no…nope, don't even think about it."

She huffed out an impatient breath. "Please Harry! It will be fun and if it's a disaster, at least we'll be there to pull each other out."

Harry winced as he looked at her pleading brown eyes he found very difficult saying no to. "Hermione, even if I did say yes, who would I ask? I don't like anyone right now."

"Oh, don't be silly. I'm sure there's someone you find attractive. What about Lavender?"

Harry shrugged. "I dunno, I guess she's okay. She's pretty, but…"

"Well, then there you go," she said nudging him. "You ask Lavender out and the four of us will go out. It's perfect!" She leaned over and kissed his cheek. "Thanks Harry!"

"Hey, I never said that I…"

The portrait opened and the first couple of people came in. "Oh, look at that…the meetings about to start."

"But…but…" Harry sighed and shook his head. Who was he kidding? No way he was getting out of this one.