Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Hey guys, it's a SHORT chapter and I want to write more to it, but its going to take longer, so I thought I'd go ahead and post this little part. Hopefully, I'll have more up this weekend.

Chapter 23

Harry dropped to his knees beside her as he looked into her face. Her eyes were closed and she was perfectly still. "What happened?" he finally managed to say.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," a third year Hufflepuff said as she started to cry. "She pushed me out of the way, it's my fault."

Harry shook his head weakly. "It's not your fault." He swallowed the large lump in his throat. "Can you tell me…what color the beam of light was?" Don't say green. Please, don't say green.

"I saw a flash of orange," she said. "Do you know what that means?"

Harry let out the breath he didn't realize he was holding. "No. Just be glad it wasn't green." He then took his shaky hand and looked for a pulse on her neck, hoping for a sign of life. He felt one…but it was weak.

"Harry!"

Harry turned to see Lupin and Tonks rushing through the crowd, followed by Snape. "We came as soon as we heard…" His eyes fell on the unconscious Hermione. "Merlin…is she…?"

"No, but she's weak." Harry then lifted her up in his arms. "I need to get her to the hospital wing."

"We'll go with you," Tonks said as she placed a hand on his arm.

"I'll stay behind," Snape said. "Dumbledore was in London, but he's on his way back."

Harry nodded although he only half heard them. All he could think about was getting Hermione to the hospital, so he didn't hesitate any longer and headed out towards the exit of the pub.

As soon as Harry arrived at the Hospital wing, Madame Pomfrey didn't waste anytime. She fired away questions to Harry about what happened as she examined her and when she was satisfied she shooed him out of the room.

"I don't want to leave her."

"Stay outside the doors if you must, but I need to examine her. This isn't just a scratch or a concussion, Mr. Potter. This is serious."

So Harry paced the doors back and forth for what seemed like hours, but were just long torturous minutes. It wasn't long until his other friends came running towards the wing, all with worried look on their faces. Luna was the first to get to him and threw her arms around him. "Is she okay?"

"We don't know yet," he said looking over Luna's shoulder at the others. "But it's serious."

"She'll be okay, Harry," Ron said as he put a hand on his shoulder. "She has to be."

"What kind of spell was she hit with?" Draco asked.

"I don't know," he said shaking his head. "The light was orange, though. I don't know what it means."

"It's a spell used to rid away someone's will power to live."

Everyone turned to see Dumbledore standing in behind them. "What do you mean?" Harry asked with panic in his voice.

"Hermione will feel lonely. Like she has no reason to live." The older wizard walked over to Harry and peered down at him beneath his half moon glasses. "That's why it's important that you talk to her, Harry. Let her know how much she is needed." He glanced around at the others. "All of you need to let her know."

"And if…she doesn't believe us?" Harry asked.

"Then…I'm afraid she'll never wake up."

Harry's mind started to twirl and his stomach hitched up in his throat. Hermione never wake up? No…he couldn't let that happen. He needed her too much. "I need to see her, Professor. I need to see her now."

"I understand, Harry. Let me go in first and talk to Madame Pomfrey."

Harry watched as Dumbledore disappeared through the double doors leading to the hospital. "How could she not know?" Harry said in barely a whisper. "How could she not realize how much she's needed? How much…I need her?"

"She does, Harry," Ginny said softly. "You just need to tell her. Make her listen."

Before he could say anything else, the door opened and Dumbledore let Harry in. He gave his friends one last glance and they all smiled at him for support. He appreciated it. Once inside, Madame Pomfrey came up to him before he could steal a glance towards Hermione's bed. "I've done everything I can…it's up to her now."

"Thank you," he said softly before making his way to where Hermione lay.

"Let's give them some privacy, Poppy," Dumbledore whispered.

Now alone with Hermione, he sat gently by her hip on the edge of the bed. Her eyes were closed as her chest rose and fell in a slow rhythm. She looked peaceful. As if she was in a deep sleep.

Harry reached out and grabbed her hand, which was surprisingly warm. "Hermione, I'm getting rather tired of seeing you lying in a hospital bed." He brushed his thumb back and forth over her hand. "Ever since second year, you've made a habit out of it."

He let out a shaky breath as he brushed strands of hair out of her face with his free hand. "You want to know something? A part of me is missing when you're in here. It's true. I'm not whole without you, Hermione, you have to know that by now."

He scooted closer to her. "I need you, Hermione," he said urgently. He leaned down until his forehead touched hers. "Don't you dare give up on me." He lifted the joined hands and placed her open palm against his cheek. "I can't go on without you." He kissed the inside of her hand. "I'm nothing without you."

"Harry…"

It was so soft and weak he almost didn't hear her. He sat back up and stared down to see her eyelids were twitching. "Hermione?" He leaned back down so their faces were only inches apart. "Can you hear me?"

She opened her eyes only halfway and moved her mouth weakly. "So…tired," she croaked.

"Fight it, Hermione," he whispered. "I need you. Please don't give up."

"You…need me?" she whispered.

"Desperately." He kissed her forehead gently, then moved his lips to her ear. "Promise me you won't leave me," he murmured.

He felt her give his hand a gentle squeeze. "I promise."

Then he watched her close her eyes and sing back under. "I'm holding you to that, Hermione. I'm not moving from your side until you come back to me." He kissed her warm fingers that were linked with his. "That I can promise you."