Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry's Seventh Year by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry's Seventh Year

Harrys Mistress

Hey guys. Here's another chapter! Work was SOOO slow yesterday I thought I'd start writing more of Circle of Friends. As for Four of Hearts, I'll try to get something up soon. Enjoy this for now!

XXXXX

Chapter 7

"You look a whole lot better today," Luna said as she watched Ron slowly get out of bed.

"I feel a whole lot better," he said and took the time to stretch out his body. "I need a good hot shower and I think I'll be cured."

"You definitely got your color back." She walked over to him and placed a hand on his forehead. "And the fever is way down."

Ron grabbed her wrist and pulled her hand down. "I'm fine now, thanks to you."

Luna blushed as she took a hasty step away from him. "Oh, it was nothing."

"Well, you helped my mom out, so we both appreciate it, besides I…" Ron stopped talking when the door opened and to his surprise he saw Harry and Hermione walk in. "Bloody hell!" He then let out an excited whoop as he ran over to greet his friends.

Luna smiled as she stood back so the three could reunite. She smiled when Ron hugged Harry, patting him on the back, ruffling his messy hair as they both laughed. Her smile however dropped, when he took Hermione in his arms.

Harry noticed the sad look in Luna's eyes as she watched Ron lift Hermione off the floor in a tight embrace. His heart went out to her since he knew how she felt about Ron. Everyone seemed to know, except Ron himself, who couldn't recognize true feelings if it hit him on the head.

"Um, I'm just gonna go downstairs," she mumbled as she hurried out of the room.

"Luna," Harry said trying to stop her.

"I'm glad you and Hermione are okay," she said quickly before exiting the room.

"So what happened?" Ron asked as he finally pulled down Hermione. "Did you guys really get shot down by Death Eaters?"

Harry continued to look at the door in which Luna left. "Um, I'll let Hermione tell you, I'll be right back." He then left and went after Luna without waiting for a response. He didn't bother going downstairs, even though she said that was where she was heading. He had a feeling she went to go hide in her room she shared with Ginny. He crept the door open to find her lying on the bed with an issue of The Quibbler hiding her face.

Over the past year, Luna had changed quite a bit. She had come a lot less…well, Looney and her nickname didn't do her justice as much as it did. He didn't blame her after all she had seen and her loosing her father the end of the school year. He was found dead in his home not too long after an article was published about the events that went on at the Department of Mysteries their fifth year. All kids involved gave interviews and not one thing was left out and Luna's father paid the price. She was now like him. Parentless with no family. That was one of the reasons why he thought of her like a sister. They were almost as close as he and Hermione but in a different way.

Harry finally knocked on the door. "Lovey?" he said using the nickname he had given her last year. She said she hated it, but now she never complained when he used it. She never admitted it, but she knew she grew to love it. Harry, however, was the only one allowed to call her that.

Luna pulled down her magazine to reveal her watery eyes. "Harry?" she asked as she gave him a not so convincing smile. "What are you doing here?"

Harry closed the door and walked over to her. "Now Lovey," he said as he sat next to her on the bed. "You know why I'm here. Ron may be a daft prick, but I can spot that look a mile away."

Luna sniffed as she put her magazine back in front of her face. "It doesn't matter. I know he likes Hermione."

"Luna," he said bringing her magazine down. "They're just friends. Honest."

She sighed. "Harry, I saw the way he looked at her and…"

"All right, that's it," he said as he took The Quibbler away and set it aside.

"Harry, what are you…"

"I'm going to tell you something that happened last year, involving those two."

"I don't want to…"

"Don't make me put a silencing and binding spell on you, Lovey," he warned.

She sighed as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine. I'm listening."

He nodded. "Good. Now, it wasn't too far into the year, right after Halloween. I was on my way back from an ever so enticing Occlumency lesson…"

Harry's mind was drained and his scar was on fire like a phoenix on burning day. The lessons with Snape were getting harder and harder, but it only made him more determined. He did not want to make another mistake that would cost another life. He was getting better, even Snape couldn't deny it. However, it didn't make it any easier.

Harry hoped Hermione and Ron were waiting for him; he liked hanging out with them after a lesson. He would usually just relax on the sofa by the fire and Hermione would sit next to him…the presence of her was enough to comfort and relax his mind. His eyes would be closed and he would hear ruffles of paper as Ron skimmed through his latest Quidditch book. No words were usually spoken between the three; they both knew that his mind needed a break. They were the greatest friends anyone could ask for.

After mumbling the password, he stepped through the portrait hole and headed for the Common Room. He smiled when he saw his two friends sitting on the couch, but before he could speak, he watched in awe as Ron suddenly flew out of his seat and angrily stormed of to his room. Harry saw the look on his face and knew this was serious. Usually a typical Ron/Hermione fight left Ron annoyed, but it never left that look of anger.

He finally turned to Hermione and his stomach dropped when he saw tears streaming down her cheeks. Crookshanks was sitting on her lap, looking up at her as he lifted a paw up to her cheek in comfort. "Hermione?" he said softly, making his presence known.

She looked up and when she saw him, she broke down even more. Harry dropped his bags on the floor and went to her. As soon as he sat down next to her, she immediately leaned into him seeking comfort. "What happened?" he asked as he awkwardly put an arm around her. He was never good around a crying female, nothing was worse than seeing a girl cry. Especially if that girl was Hermione.

"Hermione," he said again when she didn't answer. "Talk to me."

Hermione sniffed back to tears but her grip on him tightened. "He…he…"

"Did he hurt you? Make fun of you in any way?" He asked when Hermione struggled to speak.

She shook her head. "No, he…He asked me out."

Harry's hand that was rubbing her back froze. "He what?"

Hermione pulled away, wiping the last of her tears away. Harry still kept his hand on her back as he waited for her to continue. "He asked me to go to Hogsmead this week with him and at first I didn't catch on. I told him of course I'd go…the three of us always go. He then told me he didn't want you to go, just the two of us. That made me even more confused because I then thought you two had a fight or something. He finally got frustrated and blatantly told me he liked me and wanted to take me on a date."

Harry's frozen hand started to move again as he took in her rush of words. "And what did you say?"

Hermione's lip trembled and Harry could see the tears swarming up. "Oh Harry, I didn't know what to do!" Tears spilled out on her cheeks again and Harry couldn't bear to see it, so he pulled her back in his arms. Hermione buried her face in his chest, soaking his school robes with her tears. "I c-care about him s-so much but…but…"

"You don't feel that way about him," Harry finished for her.

She nodded as she clung to him. "I knew…I always had an idea that he had feelings for me, but I hoped they'd fade away. I always dreaded the day he would confess."

Hermione sobbed uncontrollably and Harry whised he could somehow make it better. "Hermione, it's okay."

"I didn't want to hurt him," she cried. She lifted her face up to look into his eyes. "Was I wrong to turn him down."

"No Hermione," he said softly but firmly as he pressed her head back against his chest. The sight of her tears were still gut wrenching. "It would have been wrong to say yes if you truly feel that way. Leading him on like that isn't right. You did the right thing by telling him straight out."

"B-but he looked so hurt."

"I know," he murmured. "I'm not going to lie to you, he might need some time. But he'll eventually get over it."

"I don't want to lose him."

"Oh, Hermione," he whispered into her hair. "You won't. I promise you."

She was silent after that, but continued to sob quietly. Harry held her and rocked her for as long as she needed him. Finally, when Hermione's tears subsided, he spoke. "Why don't you head to bed," he suggested as he gentlypulled her back. He studied her face and softly touched her tear stained cheeks. "You wore yourself out."

"Could you…stay with me a little longer?"

He hesitated, not knowing what to do. A part of him wanted to get as far away from Hermione's tears and sobbing because the site tore him up, but the other part wanted to be a good friend. He knew Hermione proved herself to him one too many times. The least he could do was stay with her a little longer. "Sure. I'll stay."

"Thanks Harry," she said with a smile. "I'm just going to run to the bathroom real quick and try gather myself."

Harry nodded and watched her leave. He then groaned as he plopped his face into the sofa cushions. So much for clearing his mind tonight, because he knew his brain was going to have a field day after all this. He rolled over on his back and stretched out on the couch, as his arm draped over his eyes.

Harry felt the couch shift and he lifted his arm to see Hermione. He lay there stunned as he watched her crawl over him and then swallowed a huge lump in his throat as she laid her body half on top of his. She slipped between the back of the couch and the front of her body was snuggled closely to his side. He lifted his arm to give her room and wasn't exactly sure on what to do with it. She helped him out by grabbing his wrist and pulling it down over her shoulders. She rested her head just under his chin and he watched as she casually linked their fingers together, before resting them on his chest.

"Harry?"

Uh-oh. She's speaking to me, which means I actually have to form words. "Y-yeah."

"Thanks. For everything."

Harry tilted his head down to look at her, causing his lips to graze her forehead. Hermione looked up at him as well and Harry couldn't help but notice how beautiful her eyes were this close. "Anytime," he finally said giving her a quick smile.

She returned it, then rested her head back down and kicked off her shoes off which landed on the floor with a thud. Harry followed suit and their feet grazed each other and their legs were tangled together. Slowly but surely the warmth the fire provided and the comfort of each other brought them to a dreamless sleep.

"You fell asleep?"

"Yeah," Harry said with a small laugh. "The bad part is though…Ron found us like the next morning."

Luna gasped. "No."

"Oh yeah," Harry said with a shake of his happy. "He was not pleased. I don't think I'll ever forget the look in his eyes. It was the first thing I saw when I woke up."

"So what happened?"

"Well. Ron pretty much ignored us for a good two weeks. Hermione was devastated so she of course threw all her worries in her schoolwork. I for one was getting sick of it so I finally made him listen to me."

"Made Ron listen?" she asked. "How did you do that? He's stubborn."

"I put a silencing and binding spell on him," he said with a wink.

Luna giggled in delight. "I wish I could have seen that." She then smiled at him brightly before throwing her arms around him. "Thanks Harry. You're the best."