Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Hi all- We hope you enjoy this chapter, and don't want to kill us afterwards! *ducks heavy flying objects*

Oh- and now that the Sims 2 Pets expansion is out, expect to see Paddington, Puddles, Max and other family friends on the Sims page ;)

-----------------------------------

Allison laughed as Caroline tried to help Jon untangle the lights. They'd been working at it for over fifteen minutes and Allison finally took pity on them by waving her wand and muttering a spell. Caroline's eyes grew large as the string untangled in seconds.

"I was going to do that," Jon said with a grin.

"Sure you were," Allison replied, laughing.

Adam was sitting in his bouncy seat watching as Emma showed him ornaments.

"Sissy made this!" Emma held up an angel that Caroline had made last year in school.

Adam gurgled and waved his little arms and legs.

"This is Em's," Emma said holding up a Christmas tree ornament that Ashley had helped her paint. "Pretty?"

"That's one of my favourites," Allison sat down next to Adam's chair.

Emma beamed at her mother and crawled into Allison's lap. "Em's birthday soon."

"That's right sweetheart," Allison hugged her daughter. "I can't believe you're going to be... how old?"

Emma held up three fingers. "This many!"

"That's right," Allison said. "That's my smart little Emma!"

Caroline poked her father in the side. "She doesn't know about the party at your pub, Daddy," she whispered to him. "She's going to be so surprised."

"That's right Angel," Jon whispered back. "And you're my best secret keeper."

"I won't tell," Caroline promised. She looked at some of the ornaments and smiled at her father. "I bet you had fun when you were little setting up the tree with Aunt Maddie and Aunt Drew..."

"Sure I did," Jon said, stringing the lights on with his wand. "If anything got broken I blamed your uncle Josh."

Caroline giggled. "I bet it was you every time."

Jon clutched at his chest. "You think your old man broke everything?"

Allison came up behind Jon and put her arms around her husband's neck. "You usually did, Jonathan Arthur. Need I remind you of how you liked to juggle everything?"

"I'm much better at it now," Jon took a few of the round ornaments and began to toss them around.

"Daddy!" Caroline cautioned.

"What?" Jon asked, "Look- I didn't even hit your Mum in the face this time."

Allison laughed. "That really hurt, Jon."

"He was only trying to impress you, Mummy," Caroline said in his defence.

"See?" Jon asked, finishing his little act with a flourish. "And it eventually worked."

"Eventually," Allison agreed clapping her hands. "And you have gotten much better."

"Daddy's good at everything," Emma said.

"That's my girls," Jon grinned at them. "Taking up for their old man."

Allison laughed. "It wasn't the juggling that won me over."

"What was it, Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"Well," Allison said thoughtfully. "It wasn't until we all went on a trip together that I really got to see how sweet your daddy is."

***

It was hot at Hillsdale and Allison rather liked it. She was used to it being cold and rainy so the warm and sunny was a nice change. She stretched out on the chaise lounge and looked around for Josh. He'd mentioned something about going swimming and she was going to do like her mother had said. She was going to be herself and eventually he'd see how good they could be together. She heard laughter in the distance and turned to see Josh walking back toward the cabins with Julie and Ethan Potter.

"Oh come on," she muttered in dismay.

Allison sighed and contemplated going for a long walk when she felt someone tapping her on the shoulder. "Go away, Frankie."

"I'm not Frankie," an amused voice replied.

Allison turned around to see Jon Weasley standing behind her with a grin on his face. He was wearing swimming trunks and a plain white t-shirt and a beach towel swung over his shoulder.

"Hi," she said quietly. "I-I thought you were Frankie. She's mad because Mum and Dad won't let her come down to the lake by herself."

"Sorry to disappoint you then," he joked.

Allison shook her head. "I'd much rather see you than Frankie."

Jon grinned at that. "Cool."

Allison didn't really know what to say. Their first day here he'd approached her about going for a walk, but for some reason, he'd made some excuse about not being able to do it. She hadn't minded because she'd been too busy thinking of Josh.

"What are you up to?" Allison finally asked.

"Just thought I'd take a swim before dinner," Jon dropped his towel on the chair.

Allison nodded. "I was actually thinking of heading back to the cabin."

"Oh," Jon said. "I was um... I was going to ask if you wanted to join me, but if you have something else to do..."

"I didn't have anything else planned," Allison admitted. She wasn't about to tell him that she was going to head back to her room and cry over what an idiot his twin brother was being.

"Really?" Jon's face brightened. "Do you... did you want to stay? And just go for a quick swim? The water's really nice..."

Allison smiled shyly at him. "Okay..."

Jon grinned widely at her. "Great!" he pulled his shirt off.

Allison was a little shy about him seeing her in her bathing suit which was a pretty royal blue bikini that Chiaki had helped her pick out. She hesitated a moment before standing up and taking her own t-shirt off.

"Are you ready?" she asked him

"Yeah," Jon answered, trying as hard as he could not to stare at her. She was so gorgeous and didn't even seem to realise it.

"Great," Allison said as he fell into step beside her. "Um, you're not going to trick me again, right? I'm not going to get in the water and my hair will turn blue or something?"

"No," Jon promised. "I'm completely trick free Al, I promise."

Allison grinned. "So are you having a good time so far?"

"Definitely," Jon answered as they waded into the lake. "I really like it here."

"Reminds me a little of Brighton," Allison said as she felt the cool water hit her skin. "We haven't been there in a few years though."

Jon nodded. "I think my parents said something about going back again next year."

"I'm sure Josh would love that," Allison said sadly. "He...he told me how much he likes being around the Potters."

Jon smirked. "He's still got such a thing for Jules."

"Yeah," Allison admitted begrudgingly. She wasn't going to spend the afternoon mooning over Josh. He wasn't here and she wanted to have a nice time. She dove under the water and swam out toward the deeper part of the lake.

"Wait up," Jon said, swimming behind her.

Allison emerged and looked for Jon but he was nowhere to be found. "Jon?"

Jon had dove deep under the surface and was currently reaching for one of her feet.

She yelped as she felt something grab at her foot. A few seconds later, Jon came up with a goofy smile on his face. Allison splashed him in retaliation.

"You scared me!" she said, laughing.

"That's what you get for leaving me behind," he said splashing her back.

"Hey!" she squealed, splashing him again, laughing as she got a wave of water right in his face.

Jon tugged at her arm. "Are you still ticklish, Al?"

"Jon!" she tried to pull away. "Don't!" Allison began to laugh as he reached under the water and squeezed her side.

"Not until I get you," Jon said with a mischievous grin.

"No way!" Allison yelped, still laughing as she tried to pull herself over to shallower water.

Jon wouldn't let her get away that easily and he grabbed her around the waist. "Do you give up?"

"No!" she tried to push him away.

As she did so, she dunked him under water. He emerged a moment later. He pushed the wet hair off his forehead. "Allie Longbottom!"

"Gotcha," she laughed, swimming backwards.

Jon took off after her with a grin on his face. He was enjoying himself and what was even better Allison seemed to be doing the same.

"Jon!" Allison squealed.

He laughed as he caught up to her. Allison treaded water and didn't notice that one of her straps had fallen off her shoulder. With a tentative hand, he reached out to put it back.

She blushed hard. "Um... thanks..." she said.

"No problem," Jon said with a shy grin. "That's a really nice suit, Al. I've always thought you looked pretty in blue...red's good too. And that green jumper you have..."

Allison blushed even more and laughed shyly. "Thanks Jon."

Jon cursed himself for saying something like that. She probably thought he was a complete idiot. "I'm sorry about the other night..."

"The other night?" Allison asked.

"About not going on our walk," Jon said quickly. "I had to watch Drew and Darla for my mum."

"Oh it's okay," Allison replied. "I understand."

Jon smiled at her. "And I really am sorry about the silly string incident..."

"You apologised about that already," Allison reminded him.

"Like twelve times," Jon said. "But I really want to make sure you're not mad about it."

"I'm not, I promise," Allison said as her feet touched the sandy bottom of the lake. She began to walk backwards towards the shore when something sharp cut into her heel. "OW!" she cried.

"Al?" Jon asked, concern etched across his face. "What is it?"

"I stepped on something sharp," Allison hobbled back to the shore.

Jon put his arm around her for support and led her back over to her chaise lounge. He bent down to take a better look. Her foot was bleeding and Jon grabbed for his towel.

"Ouch," Allison gritted her teeth together. "I think there was a broken bottle or something in there."

"It's going to be okay," Jon reassured her applying pressure to her foot.

"I think I should go get it bandaged up," Allison looked at the redheaded young man bending in front of her. She was certainly seeing a different, sweeter side to Jon Weasley right now.

"My mum can help," Jon offered. "She's an old pro at bandaging me and Josh up. I can walk you back to our cabin..."

"Thanks," Allison said softly. "This is really nice of you Jon."

Jon smiled at her. "It's my pleasure. "

He tried to help her to her feet, but she winced as she tried to put weight on it. "Um, I think we may have to..."

"I can just hop," Allison began but he lifted her easily.

"This okay?" he asked.

"Sure," Allison said, feeling trembly all over. She wasn't sure if it was from her foot throbbing or being so close to Jon, who was still shirtless.

"You didn't know I could be nice," Jon teased. "But I can do nice...you just have to give me a chance."

"I always thought you were nice," Allison protested as he gathered their things with her still in his arms. "I just didn't... know you all that well."

"I know you're a lot closer to Josh," Jon said starting toward his cabin. "But maybe you and I could...maybe...get to know each other better this summer. Like we did when we were kids."

"Sure," Allison said. "After all, we're married aren't we?"

Jon laughed. "Right...sickness and health and all that, right?"

"Exactly," Allison smiled even though her foot was still killing her.

Jon gingerly carried her the rest of the way and up the stairs to his cabin. "Mum?" he called out.

"Yes, Jon?" Luna came out and her expression changed to worry when she saw her son and Allison. "What's wrong?"

"We were swimming and I stepped on something," Allison replied as Jon set her down on the porch swing.

"Let me see," Luna unwrapped the towel. "Oh my... Jon go inside and get my wand and one of those bandages I brought with."

Jon nodded. "I'll be right back, Al."

"Okay," Allison sat back. "I think it was a broken bottle..."

Jon practically ran into the house to get what his mum had asked for and nearly toppled his little sister in the process.

"You've got blood on your chest!" Darla squealed. "You're in trouuuuuuble!"

"Shut up Darla," Jon said. "It's Allie's."

The smug grin on Darla's face fell as she followed her brother into their parents' room. She hadn't seen Jon this worried since he thought Maddie had stolen one of his lucky jerseys. She followed Jon after he grabbed the bandages and ointment and hurried out of the cabin.

"Darla, sweetheart, go back inside," Luna said gently. "You don't need to see this."

"But Mum--" Darla snapped her mouth shut at the look on her mother's face.

She went back inside, but positioned herself at the door so she could still hear.

Jon sat down beside Allie and took her hand.

Allison smiled tentatively at Jon. "I'll be okay," she said softly.

Luna applied the ointment to Allison's wound and then bandaged it up. "Stay off of it tonight and by tomorrow morning, you won't even know you stepped on anything."

"Thank you so much Luna," Allison said. "Guess we'll have to be a little more careful in the lake next time." she told Jon.

Luna excused herself and left the teenagers alone.

"Next time?" Jon asked hopefully. "You want to go swimming again?"

Allison shrugged. "I'm not going to let a little cut scare me off." she smiled at him. "Thanks for helping me out."

"No problem," Jon said realising that he was still holding her hand. He reluctantly let go.

"I should probably get back to my cabin," Allison said, feeling slightly awkward now. "You know... to get ready for dinner..."

"Let me walk you," Jon offered.

"You don't have to do that--" she declined but he was already on his feet.

"You know you want me to," Jon joked.

"I suppose I can't really get there on my own right now," Allison relented. "Thanks Jon. I really appreciate it."

He didn't carry her this time because he didn't want to push his limits. He put an arm around her and supported her. They didn't say anything for quite some time. "Al?" Jon finally asked her.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"You don't have a boyfriend," Jon said hastily.

Allison blushed. "No," she answered. "My parents think I'm too young... they said once I'm sixteen I could date."

Jon's parents felt the same way and though he was already 16, the only girl he wanted to date had never really paid that much attention to him. But, now was his chance, he thought as he looked sideways at her.

"Is there anyone that you fancy?" he asked boldly.

Her thoughts immediately turned to Josh. "Um..."

"Whoever he is, he's an idiot," Jon said smiling at her. "If you fancied me, I'd...I'd be ..."

"You'd be what?" Allison felt her mouth go dry.

"Lucky," Jon said looking down at the ground. "And I'd ask you out before some bloke beat me to the punch."

Allison felt strangely light headed as she looked at Jon. "What are you saying?" she asked softly.

"Um, well, I'm trying to say that I do fancy you, Allie," Jon said shyly. "And have for quite some time."

Allison felt her eyes grow wide. "YOU do?" she couldn't help but ask.

Jon nodded. "I thought it was pretty obvious."

Now that she thought back on it, it WAS quite obvious. "Oh..." she answered, unsure of what else to say.

Jon wished he could take it back, but it was already out in the open. "Would you want to...maybe do something sometime? With me?"

Allison almost said no, but then thought about it for a split second. It certainly didn't seem as if Josh was ever going to look twice at her, and she could be missing out on something truly fantastic. "I'll ask my parents," she said, her cheeks tingeing pink. "And I'll see if they'll bend the rules a bit."

Jon was so shocked by her response that he let his arm drop from around her shoulder. "Really? "

Allison nearly stumbled. "As long as I don't break an ankle," she joked.

Jon quickly put his arm back around her for support. "Sorry, Al. That's great..."

"I think it would be fun," Allison said. "And you mentioned us getting to know each other better. I'd like that a lot."

"I would too," Jon agreed smiling at her.

***

"I still can't believe you liked Uncle Josh," Caroline said to her mother. "That's wrong!"

Allison laughed. "I got the right brother in the end."

"And you got hurt like I did with the soldier fish," Caroline said. "And Daddy carried you like a princess!"

"Your mum has always been a princess to me," Jon grinned at his wife.

Allison gave him a kiss.

Emma scooted closer to her baby brother's seat. She had taken it upon herself to be Adam's best friend and she made a point not to be too far away from him.

"I think I'm going to go make some popcorn," Jon said. "Who wants some?"

"Em!" Emma raised both her little hands. "Em and Ad-am!"

Jon laughed. "I already knew my little Em would want some. But Adam can't have any popcorn yet."

"He can watch me," Emma said touching Adam's arm. She loved how soft his skin was. "Em sing to Adam."

"Em you're such a good big sister," Caroline said. "I knew you would be."

"Like Sissy," Emma said grinning at Caroline. She turned her attention back to Adam. "Jingle...jingle....bells....all the way!" Emma started to sing.

Adam gurgled and kicked his legs.

"He likes it!" Caroline exclaimed inching closer to them. "Sing more, Em!"

"Sissy sing with me," Emma paused for a moment.

"Okay," Caroline said taking Emma's hand. "Jingle bells..."

Allison grinned as Jon poked his head back into the sitting room. "Have you got the camera handy?" she whispered.

"Yeah, why?" Jon asked.

"Look how cute they are," Allison nodded towards their children.

Jon smiled as he watched his daughters sing to their baby brother. "They are."

"We have the best kids in the world," Allison said as Jon discreetly snapped a few pictures.

"We do," Jon said looking fondly at them.

Emma stood up and started to dance as Caroline continued to sing.

"Get down with your bad self," Allison called to her youngest daughter.

Emma waved her hand to Allison. "Mummy dance too!"

"Go ahead Al," Jon grinned. "No pictures, I promise."

Allison walked over to Emma. "Okay, dancing girl..."

"Dance Mummy," Emma urged.

"Like this?" Allison asked picking Emma up and starting to twirl her around.

Emma shrieked with laughter. "Faster!"

Allison did as she was told and spun Emma around faster.

Caroline walked over to her father. "Come on, Daddy!"

"All right Angel," Jon picked her up easily.

Caroline grinned. "Dip me, Daddy!"

"One dip coming right up," Jon dipped her back so low her hair touched the floor.

"I love it when you do that," Caroline said happily.

"One more time then," Jon spun her around.

Allison and Emma looked at them and before long Emma requested the same from her mother. Allison did as she requested and when she brought Emma back up she gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you for being so sweet to Adam, Em."

"Em loves Adam," Emma said to her mother.

Allison nodded. "And I know that he loves you too, very, very much. Just like me and Daddy."

Emma hugged her mother. "Mummy?"

"Yes, Em?" Allison asked as she patted Emma's back.

"Is Han Em's cousin now?" she asked.

Allison smiled. "Yes, she is, sweetheart. Hannah's name is now Hannah Emily Barron."

Emma grinned. "Han is Em's best, best friend."

"I know," Allison said softly. "And you're Hannah's. You're such a sweet girl, Em. I'm very proud of you for being so nice to Hannah and being her friend."

Emma grinned and giggled, burying her face in Allison's shoulder.

"I can't believe you're going to be three," Allison said still moving her feet back and forth. "You're growing up so fast, Emma."

"I'm a big girl now," Emma said as Allison dipped her back again.

"You'll still be my baby," Allison said smiling at her. "Always."

"Emma," Caroline said. "Let's do that one dance again, okay?"

"Kay!" Emma exclaimed as Allison set her down. The two girls stood in front of the room and did a dance that they'd learned from Cho. Allison picked Adam up from the bouncy seat and cradled him in her arms. "Hey little guy," she whispered.

Adam pursed his tiny lips and cooed up at her.

"Even with the brown hair, he looks more and more like me everyday, don't you think?" Jon asked mimicking his son's facial expression.

Allison laughed. "Definitely," she said. "Although he's got a slight tinge of red in there. And he's got your blue eyes."

"So did Caroline for the first two months," Jon reminded her. "Now hers are as brown as yours."

"True," Allison pressed her lips to Adam's forehead.

Jon smiled at her. "I'm really glad you changed your mind about me all those years ago, Al."

"Me too," she agreed. "Once I got to know you..."

"And realised there was more to me than silly string and stupid pranks, right?" Jon asked with a grin.

"Much, much more." Allison gave him a kiss.

"Well," Jon said still grinning at her. "I have a bit of a proposition for you..."

"Do you now?" she asked coyly.

"I like what you're thinking, but it's not that," Jon said nudging her. "It has to do with the pub."

"Oh?" Allison passed Adam to her husband.

Adam let out a small cry at the disruption, but quickly calmed when Jon patted his back gently.

"Well, Vic and I were talking about revamping the menu," Jon explained.

"Really?" Allison asked. "Like how?"

"Having more sandwiches and soups," Jon replied. "And opening earlier for lunch. And since you are the best cook I know, including my nana, but don't you ever tell her I said that..."

"My lips are sealed," Allison grinned. "But I'm not sure I'm that great. Besides, I love working at the studio."

"Em? Caroline?" Jon asked his two daughters who stopped dancing. "Who's the best cook in the whole wide world?"

"Mummy is," Caroline said without hesitation.

"Mummy!" Emma chimed in.

"See?" Jon asked. "And you wouldn't have to quit working at the studio...just give us some ideas. You know the menu we have now and Vic and I think you'd be the best person for the job, Al."

Allison softened. "I'll come in after Christmas and take a look," she said.

"Fantastic," Jon said giving her another kiss.

"Kissy face," Emma giggled.

"Kissy face, eh?" Allison asked.

"I'll show you a kissy face," Jon set Adam in his bouncy chair and scooped Emma up.

Emma giggled as Jon kissed her cheeks and then her forehead. "Daddy!"

"That's a kissy face," Jon laughed. "That's the biggest kissy face of them all."

Allison grinned as she watched her husband with their daughters. He really was a great father and a wonderful husband. And even though they'd had their share of problems over the years, there wasn't anything she'd do different.

*** *** ***

Puddlemere's annual Christmas party was already underway when RJ arrived with Alexa. This was the first party he'd been able to bring her to since he'd gotten on the team and he really wanted her to get to know his team mates and vice versa.

RJ waved at some of his team mates and their dates. The party was being held at one of the poshest hotels in London and every member of the team was there along with the staff of the organization. The only person RJ didn't see was Frankie and Will Barron, but he already knew they weren't planning to attend because they chose to spend their time with their new daughter.

Alexa stared at the surroundings with her mouth agape. Everyone here looked so much...older, for want of a better word.

"Come on," RJ squeezed her hand. "Let's go get a drink."

Alexa nodded and followed him to the bar where he was greeted enthusiastically by one of his older team mates.

"Oi!" Scanlon yelled slapping RJ on the back. "Who let you in?"

"Obviously they're letting anyone in off the streets if you're here," RJ retorted playfully.

Scanlon laughed and noticed Alexa. "Is this your little sister?"

"No stupid," RJ replied. "This is my girlfriend Lexie."

"The schoolgirl," Scanlon chuckled. "Hello, little girl..."

"Hi," Alexa said in a high-pitched voice.

RJ put his arm around her and sent Scanlon a dirty look. "She only has a year and a half left," he replied. "Then she'll be with me all the time."

Alexa smiled and leaned against him.

"What can I get you to drink?" the bartender asked RJ.

"Vodka tonic," RJ replied. "Lex what do you want?"

"Diet soda, please," Alexa replied which caused Scanlon to snort.

"Don't you want anything... alcoholic?" RJ asked her. "I mean, they'll make you something really good here."

"I've never had anything like that," Alexa whispered in his ear. "I don't know how I'd react to it, RJ. Diet soda is fine, really."

"All right," he said, leaning over to order her drink.

"The band they got is rubbish," Scanlon said conversationally to Alexa.

"What?" she jumped. "Oh... I've never actually heard them before..."

"Upper management's idea," Scanlon said derisively. "They thought this lot would be conservative. Hopefully Serena will sing..."

"She's here?" Alexa's face fell.

"She's my date," Scanlon said proudly. "Traded up from RJ..."

Alexa knew her boyfriend had been avoiding Serena ever since the episode in the pub, but she'd rather been hoping the blonde singer wouldn't be anywhere near there that night.

RJ handed Alexa her glass and grinned at her. "So what lies has this arse been telling you about me?"

"Um... nothing really," Alexa forced a smile onto her face. "We were talking about the band."

"They're not bad, are they?" RJ asked.

"I wouldn't know," Alexa nervously took a sip of her drink.,

"You want to join us?" Scanlon asked. "We've got a table in the back..."

"Sure," RJ said without even asking Alexa if it was okay. He was apparently unaware who Scanlon's date was.

Alexa fell into step behind them and wished that Frankie Barron was here. She knew the older woman through Saffron and she liked her immensely. As it was, she didn't know anyone here and she felt as if she didn't belong. Her dress was all wrong and she looked like a little girl playing dress up with a bunch of prettier, more sophisticated girls.

"Come on, Lex," RJ said stopping to wait for her. "Where's your head tonight?"

"Sorry," she muttered.

He smiled at her. "They're going to love you, just like I do."

She smiled more genuinely at him. "I hope so," she answered.

They finally made it over to the table where the rest of RJ's team mates and their dates were gathered. Serena smiled flirtatiously at RJ. "RJ..."

RJ's face froze in a smile. "Hi Serena," he said as cordially as possible.

"I saved you a seat," Serena cooed.

"Um... thanks." RJ slid his arm around his girlfriend.

"And who's this?" Serena asked as Alexa sat down beside her.

"Alexa O'Leary," Alexa introduced herself, even though they'd met before.

"The famous Alexa," Serena said giving Alexa the once-over. "That's a really...cute dress...wherever did you get it?"

"Lavender Brown's studio," Alexa lied. "She's my best friend's aunt."

Serena looked quizzically at her. "I was just in her boutique the other night and I don't recall seeing that particular design."

"It's um... from her Muggle designs. Brand new. She let me and Saffron take first pick out of them." Alexa covered quickly.

"How nice," Serena said haughtily.

"Fashion is so boring," Scanlon said. "How about we talk about how fantastic I played in the last match?"

"That'd be good for---what? Thirty seconds?" RJ joked. And before long, he and his team mates were embroiled in a running commentary on every play of the last match. Alexa tried to pay attention, but the boys had so many inside jokes that she couldn't keep up. Making matters worse, Serena seemed to be fitting in quite well.

She slowly drank her diet soda, trying to think of something that would occupy her thoughts and make the night go by faster.

"You're leaving Alexandra out," Serena pointed out to RJ. "What is it that you like to do for fun, Alexandra?"

"It's Alexa," she corrected. "And I really like to--"

"So RJ," Serena interrupted. "How come you haven't come by to see me lately?"

RJ shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Well, I---I----I haven't had much free time..."

"I've come to see you a lot," Scanlon slung an arm around the blonde.

"You are always good for a laugh, Todd," Serena said flirtatiously. "Almost as good as my RJ..."

"MY RJ is always good for a laugh," Alexa said a bit sharply. She may not feel like she fit in but she wasn't going to sit back and let Serena move in on him."

Serena giggled. "Isn't it past your bedtime?"

Alexa narrowed her eyes and wished Saffron was there. Her friend would have no problem setting this girl straight.

"Ease up, Serena," RJ warned her. He put a comforting arm around his girlfriend. "She's my guest and I expect you to treat her nice."

"Oh RJ," Serena batted her eyes. "Alexandra knows I was kidding around."

"My name is Alexa," Alexa corrected again trying to keep her composure. She could feel everyone looking at her and she just wished she and RJ could leave. She pushed back from her chair. "I--I think I need some fresh air. Excuse me..."

"Lexie--" RJ's voice was swallowed up behind her as she pushed through the crowd.

"She's really a lot of fun," Serena said sarcastically causing Todd to chuckle.

"It'd be nice if you lot would actually talk to her and not poke fun," RJ slammed back the rest of his drink and got up to go after her.

Outside on the balcony, Alexa shivered wishing she'd thought to get her cloak. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked down at the crowded sidewalk below.

"Lex?" RJ shoved his way out the door.

Alexa stubbornly wiped at her eyes, but didn't turn around.

"Hey," RJ came up behind her. "Lexie what's wrong?"

"I shouldn't have come," Alexa whispered.

"What?" RJ rubbed her arms. "Of course you should have come. You're here with me, I want you with me."

Alexa sniffed. "I don't belong with your friends. They think I'm a child."

"Who cares what they think?" RJ wrapped his arms around her.

Alexa leaned against him as a tear fell down her cheek.

RJ didn't notice this as he kissed the side of her head. "Come on... let's go have some fun. We'll dance and we don't have to hang with Scanlon and Serena. If I'd known she was his date I'd have never gone back there."

"Just the two of us?" Alexa asked softly.

"Sure," RJ replied, even though he knew that was most likely not possible, given the crowded atmosphere inside.

Alexa looked up to meet his gaze and he noticed the tears in her eyes. "Hey..."

"I just don't fit in here," she said softly. "With any of this. Your life outside school is so different from mine."

"You always fit in with me," RJ said cupping her face in his hands. "Nothing has changed, Lexie."

"Everything has changed RJ," Alexa said emphatically. "Everything!"

RJ sighed in frustration. "We're still the same people, Alexa."

Alexa simply shook her head. "I look like a fool in there RJ," she said, her voice wobbling dangerously. "I feel like I'm five years old playing dress up in my mother's clothes. And then people like Serena Starr come along and make me feel completely stupid because I don't know who or what they're talking about."

"I thought you got over this insecurity of yours," RJ said quietly.

Alexa let out a disbelieving scoff and turned back around.

RJ rolled his eyes. "You know I understood this when you were 14 and had braces, but this is getting old, Alexa."

"Oh excuse me," Alexa said sarcastically. "For being a little uncomfortable around the girl you were caught snogging after almost getting me pregnant. For not understanding Quidditch as well as you or Saffron or Andrew."

"I KNEW IT!" RJ exclaimed shaking his head. "You're still not over that! How many times do I have to tell you that meant nothing!"

"I can't believe you're getting annoyed with ME over this," Alexa's voice shook. "I forgave you for that but it doesn't mean I trust her!"

"I'm not interested in her!" RJ retorted. "And how do you think I felt this summer when you and that Finnigan bloke were talking all the bloody time about literature and history and that stupid crap..."

"So you're saying I can't have my own interests now?" Alexa shot back. "At least you had Andrew there! I have no one here but you!"

"Quit twisting my words around!" RJ hissed.

"I'm not!" Alexa said angrily.

"Need I remind you that after you snogged that twat I took you back," RJ said icily. "I forgave you."

"And after you messed around with Christina for a few MONTHS, I took you back," Alexa snapped.

"She drugged me!" RJ pointed out.

"I still took you back," Alexa lowered her voice. "Without question. Just like when you came to Hogwarts. I didn't want to see you then, but I stayed to hear you out."

Another couple stepped out on the balcony and RJ bit back his response. He couldn't believe they were arguing on what should have been a fun night. If only she'd made more of an effort with his friends, they wouldn't be out here like this.

Alexa also noticed the couple. "Look," she said quietly. "I just want to go home, all right? You can stay here with your friends but I'm leaving."

"I'll see you home," RJ insisted. "I promised your parents..."

"No," Alexa pulled away. "I may not be as grown up as some of your friends in there but I can get home myself."

RJ stared at her. "This isn't working..."

"I know how to get a taxi," Alexa said, thinking he meant her going home alone.

"No," RJ said shaking his head. "This. You and me."