Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks for the feedback, guys! We appreciate the comments! This next chapter continues with Hans and Darla. Also---you get to see what the Hogwarts crew is up to!

Back in New York City, Hans was getting dressed and wrestling with his decision to leave Darla.

A knock at his door startled him. "Come in."

Katya came in wearing her costume for the shoot---a black cocktail dress. The dress left little to the imagination and she looked dressed to kill. "They are nearly ready for us," she said smiling at him. "I came to see if you needed any help getting out of your clothes..."

"I'm fine," Hans said. "Be out there in a minute."

"You sure you're okay?" Katya asked. "You look a little distracted."

"My wife's in the hospital," Hans told her.

"Oh," Katya said looking down. "Is she okay?"

"I hope so," Hans said. "I've got to get this done so I can get back to her."

"You said the two of you were having problems," Katya said touching his arm.

"We're trying to work things out," Hans told her. "Katya... I told you that."

"It must have slipped my mind," Katya said softly.

Hans looked at her properly. "What happened between us... it can't happen again."

"Hans," Katya said stepping closer. "You're not getting all moral on me now, are you?"

"Katya," he shook his head.

"I'm not asking you to leave her," Katya said. "We have fun together, Hans."

"It's not going to go as far as you want it to," Hans told her.

"How far do you think I want it to go?" Katya asked seductively.

"Too far," Hans looked properly at her.

"What she doesn't know can't hurt her," Katya said looping her arms around his neck.

Hans felt his resolve weaken. He wasn't quite sure what came over him whenever he was around Katya.

"I'm not asking for anything," Katya said looking up at him. "That's one of the things you said you liked most about me."

Hans pushed her away. "I can't do this. I can't do this to Darla."

"Hans," Katya pouted.

"She's going to have my child," Hans said.

This stopped Katya in her tracks. "What?"

"We're having a baby," Hans told her. "A son."

"How long have you known?" Katya asked.

"A month," Hans replied, buttoning up his shirt.

"Did you plan on telling me?" Katya asked.

"Why would it matter if I told you?" he asked.

"We're friends for one thing," Katya said.

"I was waiting until this whole marriage thing dies down," Hans explained.

"How noble of you," Katya said sarcastically.

"Look," Hans said impatiently. "Is this going to affect our shoot today?"

"I'm a professional," Katya said glaring at him.

"Good," Hans said shortly.

"Good," Katya said crisply. "I'll see you out there then."

Hans nodded before disappearing into the loo.

Katya slammed the door behind her.

"Bitch," he muttered.

He should have listened to his first instincts about his fellow model. He'd thought her to be vapid and shallow.

There was still something about her, though, he had to admit. She was sexy as hell.

Hans finished buttoning his shirt and stepped outside of his trailer.

"Hans!" Freddy snapped his fingers. "You're late!"

"Sorry," Hans muttered. "I'm here now. Let's do this."

Katya glared at him and Michaela grinned. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Shut up," Katya retorted.

"That's classy," Michaela situated herself on the chaise.

"Where's this wife of his anyway?" Katya asked aloud to no one in particular. "And if she's in the hospital, why isn't he with her?"

"Because he has to be here," Michaela tossed her black hair over her shoulders.

The stylist did some touch up work on Katya's makeup while Hans moved to stand over beside Michaela.

"How is Darla?" Michaela asked.

"She's resting," Hans replied. "Um, they think she has preeclampsia."

Michaela gaped at him. "Hans! Why aren't you with her?"

"I'm going back as soon as this is over," Hans said defensively.

"Good," Michaela sat back. "Hans... nothing in this world is as important as your wife and baby. No career is worth losing that."

Katya looked away.

"Especially for that," Michaela muttered.

"Michaela, could you come here for a moment?" the photographer called to her.

"Sure," Michaela got up.

Katya took Michaela's seat and tried to avoid looking at Hans.

Hans didn't talk to her either.

She finally turned and looked at him. "I hate this."

"What?" he asked.

"This," Katya replied motioning between the two of them. "This coldness. This awkwardness. I don't like feeling that way with you. The truth is..."

Hans looked at her but didn't say a word.

"The truth is," Katya said softly. "That I was starting to have feelings for you."

"I can't go there," Hans told her.

"So I mean nothing to you?" Katya asked.

"We can be friends," Hans told her.

"I don't want to be just your friend," Katya argued. "And if you were being honest with yourself, that's not all you want either."

"Katya," Hans shook his head.

The commercial's director came over and gave them a brief run through. "So, Hans, you're going to enter from that door...and Katya and Michaela you spot him from across the room. Hans...you see the two women, you cross the room...and kiss Katya."

Hans nodded, trying to look enthusiastic.

"This first one will be just for blocking purposes," the director told them. "Everyone, take your places..."

Katya felt triumphant that she'd get her moment in the spotlight with Hans. She planned on making it as passionate a clinch as possible.

"Down girl," Michaela whispered.

"You're just jealous," Katya hissed.

"Yes," Michaela rolled her eyes. "I so want to lust after a married man who has a baby on the way. It's very girl's dream."

Katya turned her back, tossing her blonde hair.

Hans blocked out what was going on back home in London and concentrated on getting the job done. He walked down the staircase and locked eyes with Katya.

"Good," the director called. "Katya, make eyes at him and wait for him to cross the room."

Katya did exactly as the director asked even though she wanted nothing more than to pounce on Hans.

Hans crossed the room, his eyes never breaking away from hers.

"Yes," the director encouraged. "Now...take her by the hand and pull her to you..."

Hans did as he was told, slowly lowering his lips to hers.

Katya's eyes never let his as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Now kiss her," the director nodded. "Very... very... good..."

"Merlin, help me," Hans thought, but did not say as Katya pressed herself against him.

He kept the kiss closed lipped, but tried to make it look passionate.

"Hold it," the director called out. "Hold it! We're trying to sell cologne here, Hans."

Hans pulled away. "I know."

"Then, make me believe it," the director demanded. "She's not your sister, Hans. Kiss her like you mean it."

He sighed. "Fine."

Katya grinned. "Hans knows what he has to do."

"And Katya knows what she doesn't need to do," Michaela cut in.

Katya glared in Michaela's direction.

Michaela smiled innocently.

The models took their places again.

"Make it look real this time," the director said, sitting back.

Katya smiled to herself. If he wanted real, she'd make sure he'd get real.

Hans straightened his back as the scene began again. He locked eyes with Katya and began to cross the room towards her.

Katya decided to improvise and instead of waiting for Hans, she stepped toward him.

He looked surprised, but kept in character as the two of them met in the middle of the room.

"Yes," the director urged. "Yes..."

Katya let her eyes go dreamy and unfocused as Hans reached for her.

His mouth claimed hers in a hot, hungry kiss.

"THAT'S IT!" the director shouted jubilantly. "PERFECT!"

Katya held on to him, not quite ready to let him go.

Hans tried to pull back but she wove her fingers into his hair.

Over in the corner, Michaela rolled her eyes.

Katya finally pulled away, blinking her eyes hazily.

"Excellent," the director told them both. "That was hot!"

"Yeah," Hans said, staring at Katya.

"Take five and then we're going to start shooting," the director told them.

"I could use something cold to drink," Katya fanned herself.

"Yeah," Hans muttered, running a hand through his hair.

Katya smiled at him before sauntering away.

Michaela came up behind Hans. "Why don't you call the hospital and check on Darla before we get started again?"

"You think I have time?" Hans asked, still staring after Katya.

"If you hurry," Michaela said. "Hans, Kat is playing you. You know just as well as I do."

"I know," Hans said. "This is just all so bloody new to me."

"Whatever this is between you and Katya has to stop if you want to make it work with Darla," Michaela said gently.

"You're right," Hans replied. "I know you're right. I'll be right back."

Michaela grinned. "I'm always right."

Hans smiled at her. "Thanks."

"Hurry," Michaela called after him.

Hans rushed into his dressing room and grabbed his mobile, punching in his wife's number. He hoped that the wards at the hospital wouldn't interfere with her phone.

Darla answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hey baby," Hans said huskily.

"Hans," Darla said quietly. She sounded tired.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"They---they gave me something to help me sleep," Darla said.

"And I woke you..." Hans said. "I'm sorry."

"....'s okay," Darla mumbled.

"We're going to shoot the commercial," Hans said. "I think we'll get it in one or two takes. I'm coming back there right after."

"Hmm?" Darla asked dazedly.

"I'm coming to stay with you after this is done," Hans repeated.

"P-promise?" Darla asked softly.

"I promise," Hans told her. "I love you."

"Nighty night," Darla said before the line went dead.

"Hans!" Freddy said from the door. "What are you doing?"

"Checking in with Darla," Hans said pocketing his mobile.

"We've got to get moving on this shoot," Freddy told him.

"I'm ready," Hans told him.

"Good," Freddy replied.

"Listen, Freddy," Hans said as they walked back toward the set. "I'm going to need a week off."

"What?" Freddy asked. "Hans- we have so much to do here- press for the cologne, another four photoshoots--"

"My wife is in hospital," Hans told him. "And she needs me."

"What's wrong with her?" Freddy asked.

"She was admitted this afternoon," Hans told him. "She fainted at work and they think she has preeclampsia. They're keeping her overnight."

Freddy nodded. "All right Hans... I'll see what I can do for you."

"Thanks," Hans said grinning at him. "I just need a week."

"Just nail this one down," Freddy told him. "Don't let Katya get to you. I know she comes on strong but she's damn good at what she does."

"Yeah," Hans nodded. "She is."

Freddy clapped him on the back.

Michaela walked over to him. "How is she?" \

"Sleeping," Hans said sheepishly.

"Rest is the best thing for her," Michaela reassured him.

"I know," Hans said. "I'm taking a week off after this to be with her."

"Good for you," Michaela said patting him on the back. "That's just what you need."

"Are we ready?" Katya purred.

"Yes we are," Michaela said. "The sooner we're finished, the sooner Hans can get started on his vacation."

"His what?" Katya's smile disappeared.

"Freddy's going to see if he can get a few days off for me," Hans said. "I really haven't had any time off since this all began."

"But we have so much to do," Katya objected.

"It's just a week," Hans told her.

"But--" Katya pouted.

"Come on, people!" the director announced. "Let's do this!"

Hans turned and went to the staircase in the corner.

"Just like the second practise shot," the director said. "Katya, your improv was brilliant, and I'd like to see it even more embellished than before."

"Absolutely," Katya said. She was determined to make this work and if all went well, Hans wouldn't even remember his wife's name let alone want to leave for a week.

Hans took a deep breath, straightening up his back as the makeup and hair people hurried to freshen his appearance.

"Cue the music," the director ordered. "Dim the lights..."

Hans got himself into character as he started down the staircase.

"Action," the director said.

Katya gave him such a sultry look that he almost stumbled down but stopped himself just in time.

Katya walked slowly toward him and hid a smile as she saw his eyes darken as he looked at her.

The two of them moved towards each other, meeting in the centre of the room.

"What do you want?" Katya asked him.

"You," he answered.

Again, she stifled a grin as he kissed her. She didn't think it was possible, but this kiss was even hotter than the first.

Hans briefly heard the voiceover talk about the perfume, but the undoubtedly male part of him was taking over his body at the moment.

Katya was breathless by the time the director yelled cut.

"You two NAILED it!" the director said happily.

"One take!" Freddy exclaimed. "That was perfect."

"It certainly was," Katya said.

"K-Katya," Hans stammered.

"Yes..." she said, running her fingers through his hair.

"That was incredible," Hans said.

"You were incredible," Katya said in a low voice.

She took his hand and guided it exactly where she wanted it. "Katya..."

"You have got to be kidding me," Michaela cut in.

Hans pulled away from Katya.

"Meet me in my dressing room," Katya whispered. "We can celebrate."

He stared at her for a moment. "I... I have... to go."

"So do I," Katya grinned squeezing his hand. "I'll be waiting..."

"No," he said. "To Darla."

"When you change your mind, you know where I'm at," Katya said before sauntering off.

"Good for you," Michaela said approvingly.

"You're like the little angel on my shoulder," Hans told her. "Reminding me to do good."

Michaela laughed. "Go on!"

"Yes, go," Freddy told him. "You have five days, Hans. Keep your phone on in case there's an emergency."

"Thanks," Hans said. "I appreciate it."

Hans felt better than he had in weeks as he sprinted back to his dressing room. He was going to get out of these clothes and apparate back to London to be with his wife. He didn't care if she was sleeping. He would lie in bed beside her and hold her close.

He flung open the door and began stuffing clothes into his bag.

Hans caught sight of the sonogram photograph Darla had given him. "Rafe," Hans said softly. "My boy. Our boy."

Every time he looked at it, he was reminded that a part of him and Darla was growing inside his wife.

Hans pocketed the photograph and grabbed his bag.

"Remind me why you're leaving?" Katya asked from the doorway.

Hans sighed. "Kat, you know why."

"We just had a hell of a moment out there," Katya said. "You can't deny it."

"I'm not denying it," Hans told her. "Look, I told you that what happened between us...it was a mistake. I'm married."

"All we did was kiss a few times," Katya reminded him. "And I spent the night."

"It can't go any further than that," Hans told her. "No matter how much we---how much you---want it to."

Katya shook her head. "You want this as bad as I do."

"I can't," Hans argued.

"But you're not denying that you don't want me," she said, pressing up against him.

"I do," Hans said, his bag dropping to the floor.

"Then stay," she said softly.

"Katya," Hans groaned.

"Stay," Katya repeated. "I want you, Hans."

His eyes darkened as he watched her reach behind her back and unzip her dress.

She let it fall to her feet, standing in front of him in nothing but her undergarments.

"Kat," Hans whispered.

"Yes," she purred.

"I-I have to go," Hans stammered, but he didn't move.

"You can't deny this," she breathed.

Hans tried very hard to summon his willpower.

"Stay," she whispered again.

Hans kissed her hard on the lips.

Katya moaned triumphantly.

She fumbled with the buttons of his shirt, eager to feel his skin on her fingertips.

Hans summoned every last ounce of integrity he had left and pushed her away.

Katya looked at him. "What? What's wrong now?"

"I can't do this to her," Hans said. "I can't. Anything we have going on here... it's over. It can't happen again. Ever."

Instead of getting angry at him, she laughed. "That's what you said the last time...and I spent the night at your place."

"We didn't do anything," he reminded her.

"We came close," Katya said reaching for her dress. "Very, very close..."

"Too close," Hans said. "I can't do this."

Katya rolled her eyes. "Don't you get tired of singing that same old song...?"

"No," Hans said shortly.

"Will you zip me up?" Katya asked turning around and pulling her hair over her shoulders.

He hesitated, but zipped up the back of her dress.

"Thanks, "Katya said turning around and looking at him."Give your wife my best."

Hans looked at her before brushing past and hurrying out the door.

He waited until he was outside and out of sight before Apparating. All he needed to clear his head was to see his wife. Darla. Darla deserved better.

Hans ran his hands through his hair. He felt like such a cad for even kissing Katya.

It was around 2 a.m. in England when Hans returned. St. Mungos was quiet and practically deserted. The nurse at the front desk looked up at him. "Visiting hours are over, sir."

"My wife is here for observation," Hans replied.

"What's her name?" the nurse asked him.

"Darla Feinbach," he answered.

The nurse consulted her charts. "Room 423."

"Thank you," Hans said, grabbing his bag and heading upstairs.

On his way, he transfigured a couple of magazines into a bouquet of sunflowers, Darla's favourite.

He came to her room and gently eased the door open, trying to keep quiet in case she was still sleeping.

He'd expected to see Drew or one of Darla's parents sitting with her, but to his dismay, Darla's healer was sitting at her bedside.

"Can I help you?" Hans asked.

Liam looked up from the book he was reading. "Mr. Feinbach?"

"Yeah," Hans said coolly.

"Her mother had to leave," Liam said keeping his voice down. "And her sister couldn't stay because her little girl is sick. Darla woke up and asked if I would read to her until she fell back asleep."

"Looks like she's sleeping to me," Hans put his bag down.

Liam closed his book and stood up. "She just fell asleep a few minutes ago."

"I can take care of her from here on out," Hans said.

"Of course," Liam said, nodding. "She'll be very happy to see you."

"Good," Hans took Liam's vacated seat. "Have a nice night."

"You too," Liam said, looking as if he wanted to say something else.

Hans turned to his wife taking her hand in his.

"Liam?" Darla whispered.

"Hey baby," Hans whispered, choosing to ignore that she'd asked for that bloke rather than him.

Darla blinked. "Hans? W-what are you doing here?"

"I came to be with you," Hans said.

Darla smiled sleepily at him. "For how long?"

"The next five days," he grinned.

Darla grinned. "Really?"

"I'm all yours," Hans said softly.

Darla looked dazedly at him. She was still a little out of it from the medication. "Come closer..."

"You need something baby?" he asked.

"I want you to hold me," Darla said softly.

"Anything," Hans said.

Darla wasn't sure if she wasn't still dreaming. "You smell really good," she said laughing a little as she climbed into the bed with her.

"It's that cologne," Hans said.

Darla rested her head on his shoulder. "It smells really good."

"Glad you like it," he kissed the side of her head.

"Hospitals aren't that bad," Darla said as she closed her eyes again.

"No?" he asked, stroking her hair back.

"Liam was very nice to me," Darla said softly.

"You don't say," Hans replied unenthusiastically.

"And Drew and Mum too," Darla said too sleepy to notice the change in his tone.

"I'm glad they were here," Hans said.

"How was your shoot?" Darla asked.

"It went well," Hans told her. "A couple practise shots, then the real commercial only took one shoot."

Darla smiled. "That's great."

"I was thinking of you the whole time," he said, wishing he wasn't lying.

Darla squeezed his hand. "Thanks, Liam."

"What?" he asked.

"Hmmm?" Darla murmured.

"You called me Liam," Hans pointed out.

"I-I'm sorry," Darla apologised. "I'm feeling so..."

Hans let the matter drop. "If you're tired, just sleep. I'll be here."

Darla smiled sleepily at him. "Don't go."

"I won't," Hans kissed her lightly.

He put his hand on Darla's stomach and smiled as he thought about his son.

"I wonder if he can hear us," Darla murmured, almost inaudibly.

"Of course he can," Hans replied. "Rafe, this is your dad. How are you doing in there, mate?"

Darla smiled.

"I hope that you take it easier on your mum," Hans said. "You've made her throw up just a little too much..."

Darla laughed softly. "Just a bit..."

"To make up for it," Hans said winking at his wife. "Your mum and I would appreciate it if you'd sleep through the night and never have any dirty nappies..."

"Wishful thinking," Darla rested her head on his shoulder.

"He's going to be great," Hans started to say. "Dar---I think he just kicked...."

"You think so?" Darla asked.

Hans nodded. "Not that I'm an expert, but it sure felt like it..."

"Let me feel," Darla said.

Hans put her hand where he'd felt Rafe's kick. "There..."

Darla closed her eyes while they waited to see if their son would move again.

"I know I felt it," Hans told her.

"I don't--" Darla began.

Just then, she felt it. She met Hans' gaze and grinned. "That was it!"

"Yeah it was," Hans grinned back at her. "Perhaps he's a footballer."

Darla laughed. "Maybe..."

Hans pulled her close again. "Our boy."

"I'm so happy you were here for this," Darla said.

"Me too," Hans said honestly.

Darla gave him a kiss. She could sense something different about him tonight, but she wasn't sure what it was.

"Go back to sleep," Hans said softly. "I promise not to leave."

"You mean it this time?" Darla asked.

"I promise," Hans said.

Darla closed her eyes.

Hans stroked back her hair and kissed her forehead.

He was going to have a long talk with Darla tomorrow. He'd convince her to come back to New York with him so she could see firsthand how great it was and how great it could be. Having her around would hopefully keep Katya at bay. He would convince his wife that New York was a wonderful place to raise their son.

*** *** ***

It was nearing the end of their second year at Hogwarts, and while most students were studying, Zander, Evan and Sam were playing Exploding Snap in the common room.

"I can't wait to ask Brit to Hogsmeade next year," Evan was saying.

"You think you'll still be with her?" Sam asked rolling his eyes.

"Sure," Evan shrugged.

Zander threw down a card. "Go, Ev."

"Sure," Evan studied his cards a moment then tossed one down.

Sam looked at his two roommates before he threw down the winning card, causing Evan and Zander's cards to explode.

"Bloody hell," Evan said. "I give."

"How about we bet for real?" Sam suggested.

"I don't have much money," Zander said. "Only a few Galleons."

Sam laughed. "That's right. You want to keep that money so you can take Malfoy out on a date, right?"

"Shut it," Zander glared at him. "Ashley and I are friends."

"Then why do you say her name in your sleep?" Sam asked sarcastically. "Oh, Ashley...Oh, Oh, Ashley!"

"I do not!" Zander denied emphatically.

"Drop it," Evan told Sam while they waited for the cards to shuffle themselves.

Sam smirked. "I'm not the one falling all over my friends."

"Let's just play, alright?" Zander asked.

"So I can beat the trousers off you both again," Sam grabbed the cards.

"Deal," Zander said.

Sam laughed. "You WANT me to win?"

"No, deal the cards," Zander grumbled.

Sam glared at him and started tossing the cards at him and Evan.

"Hey," Brittany said from behind them.

Evan turned and grinned at her. "Hey, Brit."

"Murray, you're here in time to see me win again," Sam said to her. "Where's your friend?"

"What?" Brittany asked.

"Ashley," Sam said studying his cards. "Where's the lovely Miss Malfoy?"

"She's on her way up," Brittany flopped down on the sofa behind Evan. "Why do you care?"

"I wasn't asking for me," Sam said looking at Zander. "Right, Zander?"

Zander tossed down a card. "Just play."

"It's really nice out," Brittany told them. "I love spring!"

"We could go for a walk later," Evan gave her a lazy grin.

Brittany grinned back at him. "I'd love that."

"After this game," he promised.

Ashley stepped into the common room, hugging her sketch book to her. She caught sight of her friends and walked over to them. "Who's winning?"

"Me," Sam said smugly. "Again."

"Great," Ashley said trying to catch Zander's eye, but he was too preoccupied with the game apparently.

"I'm an expert at this game," Sam bragged.

"And so modest too," Brittany said sarcastically.

Ashley sat down. "Look at the sketches I just did," she showed Brittany.

"Oooh," Brittany said eagerly. She saw the sketch her friend had drawn of Hogwarts' groundskeeper and Care of Magical Creatures professor. "Did you show Hagrid?"

"Not yet," Ashley said.

"He's going to love that," Brittany told her.

"Zander," Ashley said. "Want to go down and see Hagrid with me after you're done?"

"Yeah, Zander," Sam grinned as he threw a card down on the pile. "Don't you want to take a stroll with Ashley?"

"I can't," Zander muttered. "I have an essay to do."

"Oh," Ashley said quietly. "Do you need some help?"

"I've got it," Zander threw a card down.

Sam looked a little worried. Murray was actually winning this hand.

"I'm out," Evan shook his head.

Brittany patted his arm reassuringly. "It's okay. I still like you."

Evan grinned at her. "How about that walk?"

"Don't go yet," Sam warned. "I'm just getting started.

"I'm done playing," Evan told him.

"We'll catch up with you lot later," Brittany said following Evan. Ashley sat down in Brittany's vacated seat. She watched as Zander studied his cards intently, deciding on his next move.

"That would be a good one," she pointed.

Zander had been thinking the same thing, but he didn't even look at her as he threw down the card.

Ashley sat back, not sure what was going on. Why was Zander ignoring her? Had she done something wrong?

"I'm going to take two cards," Sam said taking them from the deck.

"Whatever," Zander muttered.

Ashley sighed. "I guess I'm going to go down to Hagrid's now."

"Have fun," Zander tossed down another card.

Ashley looked at him one more time before she grabbed her sketch book and left the common room. Zander had never acted like this in front of her, not even during that awkward time after their kiss.

"Trouble in paradise?" Sam jeered.

"No," Zander retorted throwing another card down.

"Normally you can't take your eyes off her," Sam said snidely.

"Drop it, okay?" Zander asked.

Sam grabbed another card from the deck.

Zander felt a pang of guilt as he remembered the look on Ashley's face.

"I can't believe you're winning," Sam grumbled.

"You going to keep talking or lay down a card?" Zander asked him.

Sam angrily threw one down.

Zander grinned and threw down his winning card. He watched Sam's face as the cards exploded.

Sam got to his feet. "You cheated."

"I didn't," Zander said. "I won it fair, Sam."

"Yeah right," he snapped.

"I'll leave you to clean up," Zander said with a grin.

He left the Common Room laughing as Sam gathered the cards together.

He wanted to catch up to Ashley to tell her about his win.

He hurried downstairs and out of the castle towards Hagrid's hut. He could see her blonde hair in the distance and increased his pace.

"Ash!" Zander called out to her.

He saw her stop and he ran the rest of the way to her.

Ashley eyed him warily. "What?"

"I beat Sam," Zander told her excitedly. "You should have seen the look on his face. I just left him there to clean up the debris!"

"That's good," Ashley said, turning away and walking towards the hut.

"Ash, what's wrong?" Zander asked.

"You tell me," Ashley replied.

"Oh," Zander said looking down at the ground. "I wasn't ignoring you up there, Ash. Sam was just being a wanker..."

"So Sam being a wanker means you're a wanker to me," Ashley said flatly.

"Ash," Zander said looking properly at her. "I'm sorry."

Ashley looked back at him. This was the first time they'd ever even come close to fighting and she didn't like it.

"He said some stuff and I shouldn't have let it get to me," Zander said.

"You're right," Ashley said. "Sam's an idiot."

"Loser idiot," Zander corrected.

Ashley smiled. "Right."

"Can I see your sketch?" Zander asked.

"Sure," Ashley handed him her sketchbook. "It's on the last page."

Zander turned the page and grinned when he saw the sketch Ashley had done of Hagrid. "He didn't know you were doing it?"

"He was sitting with some of those creatures," Ashley shook her head. "And I hid behind his giant pumpkin patch."

"He's going to love it," Zander told her.

"I hope so," Ashley replied, taking back her book as they began walking again.

"So, how long were you out here sketching?" Zander asked her. "You disappeared after lunch..."

"I think it was around three hours," Ashley confessed.

"You lost track of time again, didn't you?" Zander teased.

"Yeah," she grinned. "I can't help it!"

"Who am I to judge?" Zander asked nudging her. "I can spend hours at the piano..."

"When are you going to write something new?" Ashley asked.

"During the hols probably," Zander said. "I've been toying with a few things..."

"When do I get to hear?" Ashley asked.

"Soon," Zander promised. He let her lead the way toward Hagrid's hut.

"Is it like the other one you wrote for me?" Ashley asked him.

Zander nodded, but didn't tell her it was about her. Almost everything he wrote these days was about or inspired by her.

"Then I'm sure it'll be fantastic," Ashley said loyally.

Zander grinned. "You do wonders for my ego, you realise that right?"

"That's why we're best friends," Ashley bumped his shoulder with hers.

Zander bumped her back. "That and you forgive me for acting like a wanker."

"Yes well... I know that's not you." Ashley replied, looking at him.

Zander looked back at her. "I shouldn't listen to Sam of all people, anyway."

"I don't know what his problem is," Ashley said. "Why's he always so mean?"

Zander shrugged. "I don't know. I keep thinking there must be something redeeming about him if he's friends with Evan. But, they've known each other since they were kids."

"Maybe that's it," Ashley shook her head.

Hagrid was just coming down the steps of his hut when he spotted the two of them.

"Hi Hagrid!" Ashley waved to him.

Hagrid grinned and waved back at Zander and Ashley. "Ash has something to show you, Hagrid!" Zander called out.

"What's that?" Hagrid asked.

Ashley opened her sketchbook and handed it to him. It looked miniscule in his hands. "I did it earlier..."

Hagrid beamed. "That's me there! Looks like a photograph!"

Ashley grinned. "Do you like it?"

"Love it," Hagrid said, his eyes growing teary.

Ashley gave him a hug. She'd loved Hagrid from the moment she'd met him and she felt guilty for not coming to see him more often this past term. She'd seen him in class, but it wasn't really the same.

Zander grinned. "Told you he'd like it."

"Come on inside," Hagrid motioned for them. "I just made some rock cakes..."

"Rock cakes?" Zander asked uncertainly.

Ashley grabbed him by the arm. "They're not that bad if you take small bites. Come on..."

Zander turned red when she slid her hand down from his arm and grasped his fingers with hers.

Ashley didn't notice this as she pulled him inside Hagrid's home. Hagrid chuckled to himself as he cut them each a slice of cake. "I remember all too well your granddad and Ron Weasley coming down here to visit me. Of course, they used to break a thousand rules...I shouldn't have said that. Should not have said that..."

Ashley giggled. "It's okay, Hagrid. I know all about it."

"Ash, Brit and me have broken a couple since we've been here," Zander said sitting down on one of the large chairs.

"Don't tell me," Hagrid said quickly, making Ashley laugh.

Zander looked uncertainly at the slice of cake that Hagrid set before him.

"It's good," Ashley whispered. "Just take little bites." she demonstrated.

Zander followed her lead and it wasn't that bad, but it was quite hard. "Guess what, Ash?"

"What?" she asked.

"Brit doesn't know this and I'm not supposed to say anything," Zander said. "But, guess who is getting braces the first week of summer hols?"

Ashley's jaw dropped. "No way!"

Zander nodded. "Yeah, my mum told me in the last letter she sent to me. Apparently, my aunt and uncle know she's going to freak out so they haven't told her yet."

"She'll still look good," Ashley replied. "And her smile will be so pretty when she gets them off."

"Yeah, but you know how she is," Zander told her.

"Only too well," Ashley nodded.

"Maybe I should get some of those," Hagrid said offering them a smile.

Ashley laughed. "They're pretty small, Hagrid. And you could probably just do it with magic."

"Olympe likes me as I am," Hagrid said, his cheeks turning a little red as he thought of the headmistress of Beauxbatons.

"Olympe?" Zander asked.

"Headmistress," Hagrid mumbled.

"His girlfriend," Ashley told Zander.

"Oh," Zander nodded.

"They've been together for how many years now, Hagrid?" Ashley asked the half-giant.

"Quite a few," Hagrid nodded, looking over at a photo of Olympe. "Since they came here when your grandfather was in his fourth year."

"That's a long time!" Zander exclaimed, before he could stop himself. Ashley kicked him under the table. "Ouch!"

"Did Fang Jr. bite you?" Hagrid asked, concerned.

"Um, no," Zander said hastily. "I think I stubbed my toe on the table leg."

"Okay," Hagrid nodded. "He's had a little nipping problem lately."

"I think it's great that you've been with Madam Maxime that long," Ashley told Hagrid.

Hagrid blushed again.

"Are you spending the summer together?" Ashley asked him. "Grandpa said you might be going to France..."

"Yes," Hagrid said, turning an even deeper shade of red.

Ashley beamed at him. "It's such a romantic country, Hagrid. You're going to have a great time."

"France is pretty cool," Zander agreed.

"It is," Ashley said thinking about the time when her grandmother had taken her to the Louvre for the first time.

Hagrid stood up as Ashley and Zander finished their cakes. "I've got to feed the flobberworms out back."

"We should be going," Ashley said. "Thanks for the snack, Hagrid."

"Anytime," Hagrid said. "And thank you for the drawing."

"Of course," Ashley said giving him one last hug before she and Zander left. When they were alone, Ashley looked apologetically at him. "I'm sorry about kicking you. How's your shin?"

"Probably bruised," he teased her.

Ashley laughed. "What can I do to make it up to you, Mr. Murray?"

"Draw me something new." Zander replied.

"Like what?" Ashley asked linking her arm in his.

Zander could hardly breathe. "Um... you pick."

"Maybe I'll catch you when you're flying," Ashley said. Her friend was already flying every chance he had in preparation for next year's tryouts for the house team.

"That'd be cool," Zander agreed.

Ashley grinned at him. "And if you're really nice to me, I'll frame it, too."

"I'm always really nice," Zander looked at her.

"You have your moments," Ashley teased.

"I guess," Zander said. "Hey look... there's Brit and Evan."

"Let's catch up to them," Ashley said still holding on to his arm.

"Okay," Zander agreed.

"Hi, guys," Evan said when he spotted them.

Brittany turned around. "What are you two doing here?" her eyes fell on their linked arms.

"We were just visiting with Hagrid," Ashley said. "I showed him my sketch. He loved it."

"Cool," Brittany replied.

"Something you want to tell us?" Evan teased.

"What?" Ashley asked.

Evan motioned toward their linked arms.

"Oh..." Ashley said. "Um... no."

Zander dropped his arm. "Guess who cleaned Sam's clock at Exploding Snap?"

Evan laughed. "You finally got him, eh?"

"Slaughtered him," Zander said proudly. "Even made him clean it up when we were finished."

Brittany laughed. "Too bad we didn't stick around for that."

"He hates to lose," Evan said. "We're going to have to listen to him complain that you cheated, Zander."

Zander shrugged. "He's a pain."

"He's not so bad," Evan said in his friend's defence.

"He's always just so rude to everyone else." Zander replied.

"I'm surprised they didn't place him in Slytherin with how he is," Brittany commented.

"Come on guys," Evan said. "He's still my mate."

"I'm sorry, Evan," Brittany apologised. "You're right."

Ashley nodded. "We won't say anything more about him."

"Thanks," Evan told them. They walked in companionable silence toward the castle. "What are you doing for summer hols, Ash?" Evan asked her.

"Probably going back to Brighton," Ashley replied. "I want to spend time with my aunt, uncle, and my new cousin Kiera too."

"Brit, what have you got planned for the summer?" Zander asked sharing a knowing look with Ashley.

"I don't know yet," Brittany said. "I'm sure we'll be stuck together as always."

"Gee, thanks," Zander said sarcastically.

"And I'm sure I'll see Evan at least a few times," Brittany grinned.

"Of course," Evan said reaching for her hand. "And we'll owl each other."

"Every day," Brittany said dreamily.

"Brighton," Zander said to Ashley. "Um...your parents are okay going back there after what happened last summer?"

Ashley nodded. "We don't blame the place for what happened, it was that creep Gordon."

"I imagine it would be hard for your aunt though," Brittany said thoughtfully.

"Maybe," Ashley said. "But she'll have Andrew there with her."

Brittany grinned. "Talk about instant comfort. He. Is. So. Hot."

"Brit," Zander shook his head.

"I'm just saying," Brittany laughed. "Not that he can hold a candle to Evan."

Zander and Ashley laughed as Evan turned three shades of red at Brittany's compliment.

Brittany linked her arm in Evan's and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Shall we leave you two alone?" Zander asked dryly.

Ashley giggled. "Maybe we should..."

"I really do have an essay to work on," Zander said regretfully. "I should get back upstairs."

"Me too," Ashley said. "I can help you."

"That'd be great," Zander said.

"Evan and I are going to the library if you want to join us later," Brittany told them.

"Maybe we'll see you there," Ashley said.

Brittany waved to her best friend and cousin before she and Evan headed toward the library. "You're not really mad are you about what I said about Andrew Kirke, are you?"

"No," Evan replied.

"Good," Brittany said. "Because I know you fancy Serena Starr and Leanna Leveaux."

Evan laughed. "They're sort of those fantasy people you only wish you could get close to."

"Exactly," Brittany said grinning at him.

"We think alike," Evan said.

Brittany thought so too, but she did see the one thing they differed on when they saw Sam in the library. She knew Evan would want to sit with his best mate.

Indeed, he was tugging at her hand. "Come on."

Brittany sighed and reluctantly followed him.

"What's up?" Evan asked Sam when they got closer.

"I'm working on that stupid essay," Sam muttered.

"I got mine done yesterday," Evan said.

"I still have to work on mine," Brittany said. "What are you writing yours on, Sam?"

"Spells and how they can backfire," Sam answered.

"That's an interesting topic," Brittany said diplomatically. She was trying because Evan and Sam were friends. Otherwise, she wouldn't give him the time of day.

"It's boring," Sam said flatly.

"The sooner you stop complaining about it, the quicker you'll finish," Evan told him.

"Is that why you're here?" Sam asked. "To lecture me?"

"He was just trying to help," Brittany retorted. "What's your problem?"

"I didn't ask for your opinion," Sam glared at her.

Evan sighed. "Come on."

Brittany glared at Sam as Evan took her hand and led her away.

"I really tried," Brittany told him. "But he's impossible!"

"I know," Evan answered quietly.

"What's his story by the way?" Brittany asked. "I'm not going to tell anyone..."

Evan shrugged.

"You can tell me," Brittany cajoled.

"His mum died when he was four," Evan told her. "It's just him and his dad and his dad isn't really the greatest bloke in the world, if you know what I mean..."

"Oh," Brittany said softly.

"I know it's no excuse for him to act like he does," Evan started to say.

"It just makes more sense now," Brittany replied.

"Don't say anything to anyone," Evan told her. "It's not something he likes people to know..."

"I won't," Brittany promised. "Not even to Ash and Zander."

"Thanks," Evan said kissing her on the cheek.

Brittany blushed and smiled at him.

"You know you're pretty great, Brit," Evan said grinning back at her.

"Tell me something I don't know," she joked.

Evan laughed. "How about we study upstairs instead?"

"Sure," Brittany nodded.

"Zander and Ash sure looked cosy earlier, didn't they?" Evan asked her.

Brittany nodded. "Yeah..."

"I promise I'm not going to say anything," Evan told her.

"He fancies her," Brittany told him. "And... I don't know if she fancies him back."

"Looks to me like she does," Evan said thoughtfully. "I mean, I've seen them together."

"You think?" Brittany asked. "We've never really talked about it..."

Evan looked at her. "You're serious? I thought all that girls talked about was boys."

Brittany laughed. "Well... me sure. Ash is pretty obsessed with her art."

"But you never asked her if she fancied anyone?" Evan asked after she'd said the password to get them into Gryffindor Tower. They climbed through the portrait hole and saw Zander and Ashley sitting close together. "Look at them."

"I'll ask later when we're upstairs," Brittany said.

"Keep me posted," Evan said, giving her a quick kiss. "I'm going to go and grab my books from my room."

"Okay..." Brittany felt dreamy, the way she always did after Evan would kiss her.

She was still starry-eyed when she sat down at the table with Zander and Ashley.

"Uh oh," Zander said. "She's been snogged."

Ashley giggled. "I do believe you're right. She has that glossed over look in her eyes."

"Shut it," Brittany said. "Evan is so, so, so, so--"

"Hot?" Ashley asked teasingly. "Adorable?"

"Just gorgeous," Brittany sighed.

"Good thing we're not eating anything," Zander whispered to Ashley.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because I might throw up," Zander said earning him a death glare from his cousin.

"Just because YOU don't--" Brittany began, and then snapped her jaw shut.

Zander paled as he realised what she was about to say. "Brit---"

Ashley looked back and forth between them. "What's going on?"

Brittany sighed. "Nothing. Zander and I have a difference of opinion is all."

"On what?" Ashley asked curiously.

"Well, he thinks I'm boy-crazy and I keep telling him that when he fancies a girl, he'll know exactly how I feel," Brittany said thinking fast on her feet.

"Oh," Ashley said. "Well... fancying really isn't that great, when someone's just trying to use you."

"You're not still hung up on Charlie, are you?" Brittany asked her.

"No," Ashley shook her head. "But I just was... I don't know. I was really flattered when I thought he was interested in ME, not wanting tickets for my father's concert."

"He hasn't bothered you anymore, has he?" Zander asked.

"Just once," Ashley admitted.

Zander's fists clenched. "What? When?"

"Yesterday," Ashley said. "Asked me again about the tickets, and I pretty much told him to bugger off."

"Good for you," Brittany said proudly. "I wish I'd have been there to see it."

"I'd have liked to punch his lights out," Zander said angrily.

"He's not worth it," Ashley said. "You don't need to get in trouble over the likes of him, Zander."

"Yeah but he shouldn't have done this to you." Zander shook his head.

"No, but I can handle it," Ashley said. She reached over and patted his arm. "But, thank you for wanting to defend my honour."

"Anytime," Zander mumbled.

"Ash, we're going to have a great summer," Brittany said. "You'll be at Brighton and we'll be there too. It's going to be the best summer ever."

"You guys are coming?" Ashley brightened.

"Yes," Brittany replied. "Dad said they were going to rent a cottage for a few weeks."

"That's great," Ashley said happily. "We'll have so much fun!"

Zander grinned. "We'll get to do the things we wanted to do last summer."

"Right," Ashley agreed.

"We're going to have a blast," Brittany said. "And I'm going to see if my parents will let Evan come over."

"I Bet they will," Ashley nodded.

"What did I miss?" Evan asked as he took a seat beside Brittany.

"We were talking about going to Brighton this summer," Brittany told him.

"Oh," Evan said. "That could be fun."

"I'm going to ask if you could come, if you wanted." Brittany said.

"I'd like that," Evan replied.

"Really?" Brittany asked.

"Of course," Evan replied.

Brittany beamed at him and then turned her attention to Ashley. "Ash, we have to go shopping! I have to buy new swim costumes!"

Ashley laughed. "We'll go right when we get out of school."

"Perfect," Brittany said. "Evan, we're going to have the greatest time. Ashley's grandfather has this really great boat. They go out on it all the time. Right, Ash?"

Ashley nodded. "We always have a great time."

"That sounds great," Evan said. "But--um, I was wondering if...if maybe it would be okay if I invited Sam along?"

Ashley stared at him. "Um..."

"He just usually spends the summers with my family," Evan said. "I promise he'll be on his best behaviour."

"I'll have to ask," Zander said unenthusiastically.

Brittany remembered what Evan had told her earlier. "Um, I'm sure it will be fine. The more the merrier."

Zander looked at her as if she were mad.

"Thanks, Brit," Evan said grinning at her.

"Sure," she said dreamily.

Zander looked at Ashley and he knew they were thinking the same thing.

"I really need to get back to work on this," Ashley murmured, looking down at her essay.

"Me too," Zander said. "I'm still on my first paragraph."

"This is kind of a boring essay," Brittany complained. "And I haven't even started mine."

"I'll help you," Evan said. "You just need to pick a topic from the list."

"Here," Ashley said, pushing hers towards her friend.

Brittany took the list and scanned the topics. Nothing looked remotely interesting.

"Pick one like that," Evan said. "It's pretty generic and you can find out a lot of information on it without doing a lot of research."

"Perfect," Brittany said. "The one with the least amount of work."

Evan grinned. "Exactly."

"Thanks," Brittany said dreamily.

"Anything for you," Evan told her.

Zander decided to let this one go. Considering how the last time he'd made a smart remark about Brittany, she'd nearly blurted out how he really felt about Ashley.

"I just want to get this done so I can get back to drawing," Ashley scratched her quill over the parchment.

Zander grinned. "You could draw me writing my essay..."

"Not if you finish yours before I do," Ashley teased.

"When has THAT ever happened?" Zander laughed.

"Maybe tonight," Ashley said.

"Yeah, right," Zander threw a piece of crumpled up parchment at her.

Ashley tossed it back. "Get to work, Murray."

"I don't want to, Malfoy," Zander threw it back at her.

Ashley smoothed out the crumpled parchment. "Zander!"

"Don't you think it's time we blew off some steam?" Zander asked throwing another ball of parchment at his cousin.

"You are so juvenile," Brittany informed him.

"Come on," Zander said grinning at her. "Throw it back. You know you want to."

"I want to get this done," Brittany rolled her eyes. "So I can do better things."

"You're no fun," Zander said. "Okay, okay. I'll get back to work so Ash can draw."

"Thank you," Ashley said, bending her head over her essay again.

"Told you," Evan mouthed to Brittany who giggled.

"What's so funny?" Zander asked.

"Nothing," Evan replied.

Zander swished the feather end of his quill across the paper, completely bored.

His mind drifted as it almost always did toward Ashley. He thought about spending the summer at the beach with her and all the fun they'd have. She would no doubt want to sketch most of it.

He turned red at the thought of lying next to her on the beach. The thought seemed much more adult than he actually was.

"Zander?" Ashley asked waving her hand in front of his face. "Hello?"

"What?" he jumped.

"You're not writing," Ashley pointed out.

"I was just thinking," he covered quickly.

"Not about your essay," Ashley guessed.

"Just about my music," Zander lied.

Ashley nodded knowingly. "I'm the same way, but you need to focus on this. It's not going to get itself done."

"You're right," he said reluctantly.

"And when we finish, I can draw and you can start writing your music," Ashley said.

"Deal," he nodded.

Ashley smiled and returned her attention to her work.

Zander peeked at her as he pretended to work on his essay.

Again, he started to daydream. He and Ashley were sitting at this table by themselves and it was Ashley who couldn't stop staring at him. "Zander?" she asked him.

"Yeah?" he responded.

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you," Ashley said softly.

"What's that?" he managed.

Ashley bit her bottom lip. "I can't stop thinking about New Year's Eve. I know we said we weren't going to talk about it..."

"It was the best moment of my life, Ash." Zander confessed.

"Mine too," Ashley said scooting her chair closer to his. "The truth is, I think about you all the time."

"You do?" he asked.

Ashley nodded. "Do you think about me like that?"

"Every moment of the day," Zander nodded.

Ashley beamed at him. "Why didn't you say something sooner?"

"I wanted to," Zander said. "I always wanted to."

"You know what I want?" Ashley asked.

"What?" he asked, barely daring to hope.

"For you to kiss me again," Ashley whispered.

Zander let out a breath he didn't realise he had been holding.

"What do you say?" Ashley asked looking intently at him.

"Yes," he whispered, leaning closer to her.

"Zander," Ashley whispered, leaning in, too.

Their lips touched, gently at first.

Zander then surprised himself when he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. Ashley let out a little whimper against his mouth.

Zander couldn't believe this was actually happening. This was even better than New Year's. He actually seemed to know what he was doing.

"Zander," she murmured.

"Ashley," he whispered. "Ashley..."

"Zander," she said his name louder. "ZANDER!"

Zander opened his eyes and looked at her. "Y-yeah?"

"What is going on?" Ashley asked. "You are zoning out completely!"

:"Sorry," he muttered.

"And you kept saying Ashley's name," Brittany pointed out. "It was bizarre."

"Maybe I should just go work in the library," Zander said, gathering his things.

"Maybe it will help you focus," Evan suggested.

"Probably," Zander said. "See you lot later."

"Good luck," Ashley told him.

"Thanks," he smiled briefly at her before hurrying away.

"I'm worried about him," Ashley confided to Brittany.

"He'll be okay," Brittany told her.

"I hope so," Ashley said. "We have finals coming up..."

"We ALL need to focus there," Evan said. "Especially with Snape's exam."

Brittany shuddered. "I don't even want to think about THAT."

"We'll all get through it just fine," Ashley said firmly.

"You will," Brittany said. "The rest of us should worry."

"You'll do fine too," Ashley told her. "I'll help you study."

"Really?" Brittany asked.

"Don't forget, I have Aunt Saffy's old potions texts," Ashley reminded them.

"The secret weapon!" Brittany exclaimed.

"Shhh," Ashley said. "We can't tell anyone about it!"

"Right," Brittany said in a quieter tone.

Ashley scribbled a few more sentences then sat back. "Done!"

"I still have a ways to go," Brittany complained.

"Then concentrate," Evan replied. "Here, I'll look through the books to find what information you need.

"You're perfect, Evan," Brittany said gratefully.

"Don't I know it," he grinned at her.

Ashley smiled at them. "I'll see you lot at dinner. I'm going upstairs."

"See you, Ash." Brittany replied.

"Bye, Ash," Evan said.

Ashley headed upstairs. She put her essay with her other books then grabbed her sketchpad and flopped onto her bed.

She thought about Brighton and she hoped that Aunt Saffy would be okay with going back there.

Setting her sketchpad aside, she decided to write a letter to her aunt.