Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks so much for the response to the last chapter! We really appreciate the feedback! Tonight's chapter finds us checking in with the Hogwarts crew and seeing how Allie is coping with her pregnancy. You also get a little of Nick...Please read and review!

The night before they were due back at school, Ashley had gotten permission from her parents to go on a group outing with her friends. What she didn't tell them that it was more like a group date. She hoped to get some alone time with James as she wouldn't see him again until the summer.

It was without a doubt a welcome distraction since there seemed to be something going on at home. Her mother and father were always whispering about something and would clam up whenever she or Katie came into the room.

She and her sister tried to figure out between themselves but had come up empty handed. Ashley hoped her parents wouldn't send them back to school without telling them what was going on.

"Sickle for your thoughts?" James asked, reaching for her hand.

Ashley jumped. "Sorry." she said. "I'm okay. Just a little preoccupied."

James smiled at her. "That's okay. I like being back here with you." The rest of their friends were walking ahead of them.

"I'm glad you're here," Ashley said as he wove their fingers together. "How come your parents didn't want you home?"

"Well, my dad had a big business meeting," James explained. "And my mum went with him. But, they came over on Easter and we were able to spend the day together which was nice."

"Well that's good," Ashley leaned in as a cool wind blew against them.

James put his arm around her. "Yeah, but this is better."

Ashley shivered, but not from the cold. "Yes it is," she agreed.

"You looking forward to going back to school?" James asked.

"Yes and no," Ashley replied. "I'm really excited for summer hols."

"Your aunt's wedding right?" James asked.

Ashley nodded. "I don't know if we're going to Brighton this year. We usually do."

James nodded. "That could be fun."

"But if we don't go... we can still hang out," Ashley looked over at him.

James grinned. "I'd like that."

"A lot..." Ashley finished with a grin.

Their friends had already reached the theatre. Brittany motioned for them to hurry up and join them in the queue.

"Sorry," Ashley said as they hurried over.

Evan nudged his friend. "You were just hoping we'd pay your way, right, mate?"

"You got me," James retorted playfully.

Ashley caught Zander's eye and smiled at him. She liked Gina a lot and she was glad that Zander seemed to have finally found a nice girl who fancied him.

Zander smiled back. For the first time in a long time, he didn't feel jealous of seeing Ashley with another bloke.

Gina linked her arm in Zander's. "Do you want to share some popcorn?"

"Sure," he agreed. "I hope you like the sweet and salty mix. That's my favourite."

Gina grinned. "Mine, too."

"Good," Zander replied as she moved closer to him.

Zander paid for their tickets.

"I want some of those," Brittany pointed to some liquorice behind the counter. "Evan..."

"What?" Evan asked joining her at the counter.

"Those," Brittany said. "And those..."

Evan laughed. "Brit!"

"Please," Brittany flashed her brightest smile at him.

"Okay," Evan said. reaching for his wallet.

"You are the best boyfriend ever," Brittany said happily. "Ash, what are you getting?"

"I was thinking of popcorn," Ashley commented.

"Good choice," James put an arm around her. "We'll take the large, and two sodas."

A few minutes later, the three couples made their way into the theatre and found some seats toward the back.

"I heard this movie is really spooky," Ashley said to James. "Are you going to hold onto me and cover your face during the scary bits?"

"Me?" James scoffed. "I never get scared. You're the one who will be grabbing onto me."

"Not even close," Ashley said with a grin.

"Big talk, Malfoy," James said grinning back at her.

"I'm not easily scared," Ashley replied, poking his shoulder.

"Well, obviously not since you're going out with me," James teased.

Ashley laughed. "That's how I knew I was brave."

The lights in the theatre dimmed as the previews began to play on the screen. Ashley leaned back in her chair and smiled when she felt James' hand on top of hers.

Gina leaned closer to Zander. "Movies like this always freak me out," she whispered softly.

Zander smiled. "You can squeeze my hand when you get scared."

"Thanks," Gina said, winding her fingers through his. "This has been really fun so far. I'm glad you asked me to go."

"Even if I did have to sneak you out of the house and away from Jack," Zander said. "Your brother is intense."

"He lives and breathes Quidditch," Gina whispered. "He really wants to be scouted for Puddlemere."

"He'll be reunited with Saffy and RJ," Zander whispered back.

"And he's fine with that," Gina responded as the movie began.

The first few minutes of the movie were pretty mundane and then things started to get quite interesting. Ashley knew something bad was about to happen when she heard the eerie music begin to play.

James tightened his hand around hers. "Scared yet?"

Ashley shook her head. "Please...you can tell by the music ...and the fact that the girl is going to investigate the noise she heard...in the middle of the night...by herself."

"You wouldn't do that would you," James teased gently.

Ashley laughed. "No, I'd like to think I was smarter than that."

James leaned in and nudged her ear with his nose. "You definitely are."

Ashley grinned. "Thanks."

She tried to pay attention to the movie, but James obviously had other ideas in mind. She remembered Katie's words about living it up as she felt James kiss by her ear.

The only other boy Ashley had ever kissed had been Zander. The two of them had not known what they were doing half the time, but this did not seem to be the case with James. He obviously knew exactly what to do.

Her eyes closed as he leaned in further and kissed her gently.

Ashley smiled shyly at him when he pulled away.

"You are one amazing kisser, Ashley," he whispered.

"You think so?" Ashley whispered back.

"I know so," James said, pulling her a bit closer. "I've been waiting since winter hols to see you again."

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "Me too."

"The wait has been worth it," he said even more quietly.

Ashley agreed with him, but stayed silent. This was one of the happiest nights of her life and she did not want to ruin it. Being with James was so easy.

"Do you think they're hitting it off?" Brittany whispered to Evan.

Evan looked over his shoulder. "Seems that way."

"Good," Brittany said. "About time those two got over each other."

"You think?" Evan asked.

"Of course," Brittany said. "If there's one thing I know, it's romance."

Evan put his arm around her. "That's not all you know."

Brittany grinned coyly at him.

"Gina and Zander seem to be getting along," Evan whispered.

"That's another good thing," Brittany said. "I had no idea until the train ride home that she fancied him."

"They talk all the time at practise," Evan whispered.

"About what?" Brittany asked. "Maybe they'll go to Hogsmeade together."

"Why don't you just leave them alone and let them do what they want?" Evan asked. "You don't have to control EVERYTHING, do you?"

Brittany seemed startled. "I didn't say I wanted to. I just want my friends to be happy."

Evan gave her shoulder a squeeze. "I was only joking, Brit."

"Oh," Brittany said, looking back at the screen.

"You're not mad, are you?" Evan whispered.

"I guess not," Brittany said. "You just sort of startled me is all."

"Why?" Evan asked.

"Just did," Brittany replied.

Evan rolled his eyes.

"Whatever," Brittany muttered. Suddenly her night had taken a down turn.

"Whatever," Evan grumbled.

A few more seats down, Gina gasped as the killer appeared onscreen behind the main character.

Zander gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I hope she turns around soon," Gina's eyes were glued to the screen.

Zander smiled as the heroine ran ahead of the killer. "In just a minute, what do you bet she trips and falls and he catches up to her?"

Gina giggled.

"And there she goes," Zander whispered as the heroine tripped.

"You called that one," Gina let her head rest on his shoulder.

Zander smiled. "Yeah, I did."

The movie ended a little while later and the three couples met in the lobby. Ashley could tell something was wrong with Brittany. Her friend's arms were folded and she kept glaring at Evan.

"I need to use the loo," she told James. "Brit, why don't you come with me?"

"Sure," Brittany replied, tossing her hair.

"Gina?" Ashley asked. "Would you like to join us?"

Gina shrugged. "Sure."

"We'll be back," Ashley said as Brittany practically dragged her and Gina away.

"So," Ashley said to Brittany when they were in the girls' loo. "What's going on?"

"He was so mean during the movie," Brittany complained. "Told me that didn't have to control everything and I should leave all of you be."

"That doesn't sound like Evan," Ashley said thoughtfully. "Was he joking?"

"He said he was... but it didn't sound like it," Brittany answered.

"Maybe you're just overreacting," Gina suggested. "Sounds to me like he might have been joking."

"You think?" Brittany asked uncertainly.

Gina nodded. "I think so. I mean, I don't know him from anything other than Quidditch, but he seems like a nice enough bloke."

Brittany sighed. "Maybe you're right."

Ashley looked at Gina. "It's hard for Brit to admit anyone's right."

Gina smiled. "Sometimes I'm the same way."

"Me too," Ashley smiled back at her.

Brittany pouted. "Hello? This is about me!"

Ashley laughed. "Sorry Brit. I forget sometimes about the world revolving here."

Despite herself, Brittany smiled. "I know you think I'm blowing this out of proportion, but he's normally not like this with me. He thinks whatever I say is fine but tonight it's like I was getting on his nerves."

Ashley put an arm around her. "I wouldn't think too much of it, just this once. I bet it was just a weird tone or something."

"Maybe," Brittany said.

"Come on," Ashley said. "We'll go back down you'll smile at him, and things will be all good."

"Okay," Brittany agreed. "Let me just touch up my makeup."

"Because you have to look perfect," Ashley teased, disappearing into a stall.

Gina smiled. "You guys are great, you know that?"

"Well of course," Brittany said with a grin. "I am the best."

"And modest too," Gina said, reaching into her purse and pulling out a tube of lip gloss.

"I wouldn't be me without it," Brittany touched up her eye shadow. "So you and Zander..."

Gina grinned. "Yes?"

"You two are really cute together," Brittany commented.

Gina looked over at her. "I think so, too. I mean, he is younger than me..."

"Not that much younger," Brittany waved her hand.

"Just a year," Gina said softly.

"Barely even," Brittany replied.

Ashley came out of her stall and washed her hands. "He's a really great bloke, Gina."

"She would know best," Brittany said.

Gina smiled. "I think he's great, too. I mean, he really stood up and took his punishment with the whole thing with what happened with that Hufflepuff girl."

"I think it's cool that you guys didn't hold it against him," Ashley said. "That was really cruel what she did."

"He's paid his dues," Gina said. "And speaking of Zander, we'd better go before he and the other boys think we've ditched them."

"And just smile at Evan," Ashley said to Brittany again. "You know he's mad about you."

Brittany nodded. "Right. Thanks, Ash."

Ashley squeezed her hand before they headed back to the guys.

"Everything okay?" Zander asked.

"Great," Gina smiled at him.

Ashley took James' hand. "We're ready to go."

"Do I have to take you home already?" James asked.

"Are you hungry?" James asked her.

"Yes," Ashley replied. "So is Brit, right?" She looked over her shoulder at Brittany.

"Yeah pretty hungry," she said moving closer to Evan.

"Me too," Evan said offering her his hand.

Brittany smiled at him. "Are we okay?"

Evan pecked her on the cheek. "We're fine."

Brittany leaned against him. "Sometimes I take things too seriously."

"I was only joking," Evan told her.

"I know," she said softly.

Ashley looked over at Zander. "Crisis averted," she whispered so only he could hear.

Zander grinned at her.

"You always manage to talk her down," Zander said. He looked at Gina. "Ash is Brit's voice of reason."

"I figured that much," Gina said, sliding her hand into his.

Ashley took James' hand in hers and they all set off for the restaurant. Ashley felt so happy at that moment and she just hoped that the summer would be just like this.

*** *** ***

It was nearing the middle of May and most children were looking forward to the end of the school year. But, Caroline Weasley had
bigger and more important things on her mind. With her mother still on bed rest and her father working hard at the pub, she had taken on
some of the responsibilities of looking after her siblings.

Adam and Emma did not make things very easy for her though. Every five seconds it seemed like Emma wanted to go upstairs and talk to their mother and
Adam kept wanting to crawl upstairs to play with her.

"Emma, sit down!" Caroline exclaimed, looking up from her homework. "You can't go upstairs. Daddy's with Mummy now. He told us to stay down here."

"You're not the boss of me," Emma said.

"I'm the oldest," Caroline said. "Daddy told you to work on your homework. You haven't done anything!"

"It's not important," Emma said. "I want to bake something."

Caroline rolled her eyes. "Emma Madeline Weasley, you can't bake something. You are supposed to be doing your homework. It's just simple addition problems. You can do it."

"I don't want to," Emma pouted. "It's too hard."

"I'll help you," Caroline said, sliding her chair over to her sister. She did not notice Adam starting to toddle out of the kitchen. "Okay, this one is really easy. Three plus four..."

Emma counted on her fingers. "Seven?"

Caroline smiled. "Good, Emma!"

Emma bounced in her chair.

"This next one is a little tougher," Caroline said studying the problem.

Emma concentrated for a few minutes. "I don't know."

"Four plus six," Caroline told her. "You know it, Emma---"

"Mummy!" Adam called out from the bottom of the stairs. "Mummy! Mummy!"

Caroline groaned. When had Adam left the room? She ran out of the kitchen and grabbed her little brother. "Adam! You're supposed to stay in the kitchen with
Em and me!"

"Want Mummy!" Adam's lower lip trembled.

"Mummy's taking a kip," Caroline said. "You can see her when she gets up."

"Adam's in trouble," Emma said in a sing-song voice.

"Emma go back and do your homework," Caroline ordered.

"But," Emma protested.

"Just go," Caroline said. "Adam and I will come back in."

Emma stalked back into the kitchen and Caroline sat at the foot of the steps with Adam. "As soon as she's awake, we'll go and see her," Caroline promised.

Adam crossed his little arms. "I don't like Olivia."

"She's not even here yet," Caroline pointed out gently.

"But she makes Mummy sick," Adam said.

"It's not her fault," Caroline said gently. "And once she's here, things will go back to how they were."

"Better," Adam grumbled, pushing himself up and going back into the kitchen.

Caroline followed him, glad that for now, he seemed to be cooperating.

"I finished," Emma pushed her parchment at her sister.

"Really?" Caroline asked in surprise.

"Yes," Emma replied, pushing her chair back.

Caroline picked up the parchment to check her sister's answers when Jon came into the kitchen carrying a tray. "Daddy!" Adam exclaimed.

"Hi buddy," Jon said.

"Is Mummy awake?" Adam asked.

"She's finishing her dinner," Jon told him.

"Can we see her?" Emma asked pleadingly.

"Give her ten minutes," Jon replied. "Did you finish your homework?"

Emma nodded. "Sissy's checking it."

"Emma," Caroline said in dismay. "These are all wrong."

Emma sighed. "No, they're not!"

"Five plus six is not fourteen," Caroline answered. "Come on Em. Let's do these right."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Okay."

"Your sister is trying to help you," Jon told his daughter. "You should thank her for that."

"Thanks," Emma said sitting back down with Caroline.

"It'll only take a minute," Caroline said. "Then you can go see Mummy."

Emma reluctantly agreed and worked over the problems with her sister. Jon picked up Adam and gave him a hug. "You been a good boy?" he asked, tickling his son's side.

Adam laughed. "Yes!"

Jon lifted him onto his shoulders. "Look at how tall you just became, Adam."

"Big as you," Adam said happily.

"That's because you're my boy," Jon said. "How about you and I talk it over with some juice while we wait for your sisters?"

"Okay," Adam agreed. "But I want to see Mummy soon."

"You will, buddy," Jon promised.

"Kay," Adam said. "Apple juice, okay?"

"Of course," Jon said carrying his son over to the icebox. Caroline seemed to be making progress with Emma and the two girls finished Emma's maths assignment.

"Finally," Emma pushed her quill away. "I don't like maths."

"How'd she do, Angel?" Jon asked.

"Better this time," Caroline said. "Em's really smart."

Emma beamed at her. "Thanks."

"All right," Jon said. "You two head on up and see your mother."

Emma grinned. "Okay!"

"Race you," Adam said, tearing out of the kitchen.

Jon laughed. He knew his wife was just as anxious to see the children as they were to see her.

"Mummy!" Adam shouted.

Allison sat up in bed and smiled as Emma, Caroline and finally Adam came into the bedroom. "Hi, you guys!"

"We missed you," Adam launched himself at the bed.

"Easy," Caroline cautioned.

"I know," Adam frowned at her.

"It's okay," Allison said as Adam cuddled up with her. "How's my favourite boy?"

"Good," Adam said.

Allison kissed the top of his head and smiled as Emma launched into a story for her mother.

Jon came into the room with a few biscuits for her.

Allison grinned. "Olivia and I thank you for those!"

"Me too," Emma reached for one but Caroline stopped her.

"For Mummy," Caroline told her.

"Besides, you haven't had dinner yet," Jon reminded his daughter.

Caroline looked at her mother. "How are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling fine today, Angel." Allison told her daughter.

Caroline sighed in relief. They only had a few more weeks before the baby was due.

"I think Olivia's going to arrive safe and sound," Jon reassured his oldest daughter.

Caroline nodded. "I hope so."

"Sissy helped me with my homework," Emma said. "It's all right."

Alison smiled. "How'd you do?"

"Fine," Emma said. "But I want to bake."

"Bake what, sweetheart?" Allison asked.

"Anything," Emma jumped off the edge of the bed. "A cake!"

"Emma!" Caroline yelled. "Stop it!"

"Caroline," Allison said. "There is no need to yell at your sister."

"I'm just trying to make sure that you're safe!" Caroline protested. "And Em and Adam just won't listen!"

"I know you're trying to help," Allison soothed her. "But yelling doesn't solve any problems."

Caroline looked away.

"Come on Em," Jon said. "And Adam. Let's go get you two ready for dinner."

Adam and Emma reluctantly followed their father out of the room. Allison patted the empty space beside her. "Come sit down, Caroline."

Caroline curled up next to her mother. "They won't ever listen to me," she said tearfully.

Allison put her arm around her daughter. "What's going on, really?"

"I'm just so worried about you and Olivia," Caroline confessed.

"We're fine," Allison said softly. "I've been doing everything your Aunt Lizzy told me to do."

"I know but I still worry." Caroline said quietly. "I always remember when you went to sleep. It really scared me."

"I know, baby," Allison said. "It scared me, too. But, I honestly don't think that's going to happen again. And you are way too young to spend all your time worrying. You should be having fun."

Caroline nodded. "That's what Mia told me."

"Mia's a smart girl," Allison said. She patted her stomach. "Olivia's just fine and I think she's very lucky to have a big sister like you."

Caroline finally smiled. "Thanks Mummy. I love you."

"I love you too," Allison said kissing her daughter's cheek. "And you've been such a great help to your father."

"I hope so," Caroline replied.

"I know so," Allison said with a grin.

"I can't wait for Olivia to be born," Caroline said. "I'm really excited to meet her and help take care of her."

"Me too," Allison said. "Do you think she'll have red hair like Adam, Emma and your Dad? Or brown hair like you and me?"

"I think there are enough redheads in this family," Allison joked.

Caroline smiled. "She's going to be like you and me, I think."

"We'll know pretty soon," Allison said, brushing her hair back.

Caroline was silent for a few moments. "I guess...I guess I've just been trying to keep Adam and Emma away from you because they just don't understand what it was like to have you be like that. I can't imagine what we'd be like without you, Mummy."

Allison hugged her daughter to her. "I don't want to think about that either, Angel. But I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"Okay," Caroline said resting her head on her mother's shoulder.

"How about you take the rest of the night off?" Allison teased gently. "Stay up here with me."

Caroline grinned. "Really? I have loads to tell you."

"Like what?" Allison asked.

Caroline launched into stories about her classmates and things that had been going on with some of her friends.

Allison laughed. "It sounds like that bloke fancies you a bit."

Caroline blushed. "He doesn't..."

"It's okay if he does," Allison told her. "Your father may not like admitting it but you're growing up. And you're a beautiful girl."

Caroline smiled. "Thanks, Mummy."

"You've really been such a big help to me," Allison continued. "I know I said it before, but we really are proud of you."

Again, Caroline blushed. "Well, it's what I'm supposed to do. I'm the oldest."

"You deserve some fun time too," Allison told her daughter.

"I agree," Jon said coming into the room.

"Where are Em and Adam?" Caroline asked.

"Downstairs, eating," Jon said. "I just came up here to see if you were ready to eat, too."

"How about Caroline has her dinner up here with me?" Allison suggested. "She and I were having a nice talk."

"Sure," Jon said smiling at his wife. "I'll bring it up."

"Thanks Daddy," Caroline said gratefully.

"Sure thing," Jon said. "I'd better get back down there before Emma takes all of Adam's food."

Caroline settled back next to her mother. "I love Em and Adam but I kind of needed a break from them."

Allison laughed. "We all need a break every now and then."

Caroline grinned. "But they are funny."

"They are," Allison agreed. "And Adam acts like he doesn't like Emma, but he does. He misses her when she's not here. But, don't tell her. I promised him I wouldn't."

Caroline giggled. "I won't say anything Mummy."

"And they both look up to you," Allison pointed out.

"I hope so," Caroline said. "I want to be a good big sister."

"You already are," Allison said smiling at her.

"Here we are," Jon came in with dinner on a tray. "And some dessert for you, Al."

Allison grinned. "Thanks from Olivia and me."

"I'll leave you to it," Jon smiled at them both before heading back downstairs.

Caroline felt happier than she had in months. She was still going to look out for her mother and help out whenever she could, but she was going to go a little easier on Adam and Emma.

"We'll have to go shopping soon," Allison said. "Start getting all your Hogwarts things together."

Caroline smiled. "I can't believe I'll be going there in September."

"I'll miss you when you're gone," Allison told her.

Caroline nodded. "I'll miss all of you guys, too. I'm a little scared, but thankfully I'll have lots of people there that I know."

"I'm sure you'll see Katie plenty even if you're in different houses," Allison said. "Plus you'll have Mia there."

Caroline was glad for that. Coming from Muggle parents, Mia hadn't been sure if she would receive a letter. The two girls had planned a slumber party to celebrate.

"Maybe we can go shopping with Mia and her mummy once you can go out again," Caroline ventured.

Allison nodded. "I'll ring Mia's mum and ask."

"I can't wait," Caroline said happily. "It will be so much fun!"

"Yes, it will," Allison said, suddenly feeling quite emotional at the idea that her daughter was going to be going away to school.

Meanwhile downstairs Jon was cajoling Adam into finishing his vegetables. "Just a few more beans, buddy."

Adam shook his head. "No beans."

"Yes beans," Jon told him. "Emma finished hers."

Emma smiled sweetly at her father. "So I get dessert."

"Yes you do," Jon nodded.

"And Adam doesn't," Emma said thoughtfully. "So can I have his?"

"NO!" Adam shouted at her.

Jon looked at his son. "Adam, no shouting. Emma's not getting your dessert."

"Okay," Adam sat back down but glared at his sister.

Emma leaned back in her chair. "Daddy, why does Sissy get to eat with Mummy?"

"Because she needs some time alone with your mother," Jon said. "You two always get to sit up there with her while Caroline cleans up down here."

"Oh," Emma said.

"Just some girl time," Jon told her.

Adam reluctantly finished his vegetables.

"There you go," Jon said. "The beans aren't so bad."

Adam grimaced.

"I liked them," Emma said.

Jon held his hand up when he saw Adam was about to say something. "Hold that thought. It's cake time for you, me and Em."

"Yummy!" Adam clapped his hands together. "I want a BIG piece."

"A big piece, eh?" Jon asked. "We'll see what we can do."

"I get a bigger one," Emma said.

"You're both getting the same size piece," Jon said over his shoulder. "You know, you two could try getting along..." His voice trailed off as he remembered his own parents saying the same thing to him and Josh when they were kids. It was official, Jon thought, he had turned into his father.

"Not when Em's mean," Adam grumbled.

"Everyone else thinks I'm great," Emma told him. "Casey, Noah, Aidan, Mas, Sukie..."

"Not me," Adam declared.

"Adam loves you," Jon said to Emma.

"I know he does," Emma grinned mischievously at her brother.

Adam took a bite of his cake.

"Cake is my most favourite food," Emma said, digging into hers.

"Just yesterday you said it was pizza," Jon said grinning at his daughter.

"Well I love that too," Emma decided.

"Me too," Adam admitted.

"See," Jon grinned at them. "You two have something in common."

Emma and Adam looked across the table at each other.

"Just one thing," Emma said. "It doesn't mean he's not a dumb face sometimes."

"Am not!" Adam exclaimed.

"Emma apologise to your brother," Jon ordered. "There's no reason to call him that."

"Sorry," Emma said automatically.

"If you keep that up you'll go straight to bed after dinner." Jon told her.

"Sorry," Emma said more sincerely. "You're not a dumb face, Adam."

"I know," Adam said, finishing his cake. "Mummy told me I'm smart."

Jon helped his son wipe his face. "You are very smart, Adam. You get that from your mum."

"Can I go see her now?" Adam asked.

"Yes," Jon replied.

Adam shoved his chair back and ran upstairs.

Emma jumped out of her chair and climbed into her father's lap. "What is it, baby girl?" Jon asked her.

"Nothing," Emma replied.

"You want to help me finish my cake then?" Jon asked.

"I could do that," Emma grinned up at him.

Jon handed her his fork.

"I could eat cake all night long," Emma said.

"Me too, baby girl," Jon said kissing the top of her head.

"I love you," Emma paused and looked up at him. "You're the best daddy ever."

"I love you too," Jon said smiling down at her. "You are the best Emma ever."

Emma laughed. "Can we go see Mummy now?" she asked. "And finish this up there?"

"Absolutely," Jon said.

Jon carried the plate upstairs as Emma hurried up ahead of him. "Mummy!"

Allison smiled when Emma came into the room. "Hi, sweetheart. I was wondering where you were!"

"Daddy let me finish his cake," Emma said. "But I saved the rest for Adam."

Adam looked up in surprise.

"Here," Emma held out the plate.

Adam looked over at Caroline uncertainly.

"It's okay Adam," Caroline urged him. "Em's just trying to be nice."

Adam took the plate. "Thank you."

"Welcome," Emma replied, climbing next to her mother.

"That was very sweet of you," Allison said kissing Emma's cheek.

Emma smiled and patted her mother's stomach. "How's Olivia?"

"She's fine," Allison said. "All nice and cosy in there."

"I want her to come out," Emma said.

"She'll be here before you know it," Allison told her.

"I get to hold her," Emma said.

"Yes you will," Allison said.

"First," Emma said.

"Well, your daddy and I will get to hold her first," Allison pointed out.

"Oh," Emma pouted.

"You can hold her first before Adam and me," Caroline told her.

"I can?" Emma brightened.

"I got to hold you first," Caroline pointed out. "So it's only fair."

"Caroline also named you," Allison recalled.

"Baby Girl Weasley," Caroline said sharing a look with her father

Jon laughed. "You were dead set against us leaving her without a name."

Caroline smiled at her sister. "You couldn't be anyone but an Emma."

"I know," Emma said, jumping off the bed.

The four of them watched as Emma twirled around in front of the bed. Caroline looked over at her mother who was smiling adoringly at Emma. This really was the best night, Caroline thought to herself. Perhaps she really did have nothing to worry about.

*** *** ***

Nick had just finished up a session with the guys in his band when he received an owl. Thinking it was from Julie he tore it open and was astonished to discover that the healer his father was seeing was asking him to come in immediately to St. Mungos.

He had not heard from his father since his impromptu visit a few weeks ago.

He had almost written the situation off as another one of his father's schemes, but this changed things. Suddenly the whole thing became real.

There had been many times in his childhood when he had needed his father and his father had let him down. A selfish part of Nick thought briefly of not going and leaving his father to fend for himself.

But he wasn't like that, Nick reasoned. He would go, and if it WAS a scheme, it would be the last one he'd ever fall for.

He left a quick note for Julie just in case he was not back before she made it home.

He headed over to St. Mungos hoping he wasn't walking into some sort of trap.

The nurse led him to his father's private room and Nick stood there for a moment, shocked to see his father like this.

"Nicholas," Draco said. "You made it."

Nick stepped further into the room. "What's going on?"

"My treatment," Draco said. "It's... only prolonging the inevitable."

"You tell Mum yet?" Nick asked.

"No," Draco said. "And you won't tell her, either."

Draco's healer shook Nick's hand. "Greg Fitzpatrick. Your father had you listed as his contact person."

"I see," Nick replied.

Healer Fitzpatrick detailed Draco's treatment for Nick. "The tumour keeps growing back every time we try and shrink it. Today's treatment really took it out of your father."

Nick looked back and forth between the two men. "So there's really nothing you can do?"

"We're doing everything we can, Mr. Malfoy," the healer told him. "Right now, we're just trying to keep your father out of pain. We're going to keep him overnight."