Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Thanks again for all the reviews everyone- they're all appreciated no matter how 'big' or 'small' they are! In this chapter you get more of H/Hr's second honeymoon and the return of the Hogwarts crew. Enjoy!

Harry and Hermione had been on holiday for about four days now, and both of them were currently lying on the beach, relaxed as could be.

"Harry," Hermione said, her eyes closed. "This is amazing. I haven't felt this good in ages."

"That's why we're here," he said smiling sideways at her.

"I know," she smiled back. "I'm glad we managed it."

"Me too," Harry said leaning to give her a kiss.

"Mmm..." she kissed him back. "Love you."

"Love you," Harry said. "How about I go and grab us something to drink?"

"Sounds good," Hermione smiled, adjusting her bikini strap. "Surprise me will you?"

Harry winked at her and pulled his sunglasses back on before heading back to the hotel bar to get them a drink.

Hermione watched him go as she leaned back, tilting her head so her face was up towards the sun. She sighed audibly, feeling completely satisfied and happy at that moment.

"Excuse me?" someone asked from behind her.

At first Hermione didn't realise anyone was speaking to her.

"Excuse me?" a very handsome man with dark brown hair asked coming into view. "I'm sorry to bother you."

"Yes?" Hermione raised her sunglasses.

"I was wondering if you knew what time it was?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I don't have my watch." Hermione said. "I'm sorry."

"That's okay," he said warmly. "You're British, aren't you?"

"Yes," Hermione answered. "London."

"Wow," he said nodding. "I'm from Seattle actually."

"I hear that's a lovely city," Hermione said politely.

"I imagine it's like London," he said with a laugh. "Cold, rainy..."

"London isn't that bad," Hermione said. "It really only rains a lot in the fall and winter."

"Ahh, well in Seattle it rains pretty much any time of the year," the man said smiling at her. "I'm Patrick, by the way."

"Hermione," she said, shaking his hand. "Lovely to meet you."

"Hermione," he said nodding. "Quite a unique name. Your parents must have been Shakespeare fans."

"They were, yes." Hermione nodded.

"The Winter's Tale is one of his best," Patrick said. "Have you ever seen it performed?"

"When I was younger," Hermione replied.

"One of my favourites," Patrick said sitting down on Harry's towel. "What brings you here to the Swan Islands?"

"I'm on a second honeymoon with my husband," Hermione said.

"Why is it that all the good ones are always taken?" Patrick asked with a frown.

Hermione let out a weak laugh in reply.

"Okay, Hermione," Harry said not noticing she had company. "I hope you like my....who are you?"

"Hi," Patrick said warmly. "Patrick Thorne."

"Harry Potter," he said.

"Nice to meet you," Patrick said then turned his attention back to Hermione. "I've just arrived actually. Can you recommend a nice place to eat around here?"

"The restaurant here at the hotel is nice," Hermione replied, taking her drink from Harry.

"I'll have to try it out," Patrick said nodding. "Perhaps we could share a meal and get to know each other better."

"I uh..." Hermione looked to Harry for help.

"She's actually going to be eating with me," Harry said glaring at the man. "Her husband."

"Easy," Patrick said throwing up his arms in mock surrender. "No need to blow a gasket. I'm just trying to be friendly."

"I appreciate the offer but no thank you," Hermione said politely.

Patrick nodded and leaned back on his elbows relaxing on the towel.

"Excuse me?" Harry asked.

Patrick raised his eyebrows. "Something wrong?"

"Oh, I don't know," Harry said sarcastically. "Maybe you're on my towel...sitting beside my wife."

"Easy man..." Patrick grinned, "I didn't realise you Brits were so easily offended."

"I'm not offended," Harry said. "I'm ang--"

"So what is it that you do in London, Hermione?" Patrick asked.

"I work in politics," Hermione said, swinging her legs over the side of the chair as she saw Harry tense.

"And what about you Hank?" Patrick asked. "You in politics, too?"

"Harry," he said through clenched teeth. "And I'm in law enforcement."

"Awesome," Patrick said. "But you know, to be honest, you're not very intimidating. You're kind of slight. You must be one of the desk jockeys, right?"

Harry's green eyes were so bright with anger that Hermione thought could see them behind his sunglasses. "You know, I think I've had enough sun for today," she said, gathering her bag and holding her drink in her hand. "I don't want to get burned."

"You might want to head inside too Patrick," Harry said glaring at the man. "We wouldn't want you to get burned either."

"Excuse me?" Patrick's easygoing smile disappeared.

"It was lovely to meet you," Hermione said hastily to Patrick. "But Harry and I really should---"

"Go," Harry said coldly.

"Maybe I'll run into you later, Hermione," Patrick said getting to his feet. "Take care, Hank."

"WE won't be seeing you," Harry yanked his towel off the chair.

"Come on Harry," Hermione said tugging at his arm. "Let's just go..."

Patrick smirked. "Yeah, just go, Hank..."

"It's HARRY!" he roared as a sudden wind blew up the sand, nearly blinding the other man.

Patrick stumbled backward, shaken by what he'd seen. Without looking back, he ran off toward the hotel.

"Harry," Hermione said. "What on earth did you do that for?"

"What a fucking wanker," Harry said furiously. "And I didn't do that on purpose."

Hermione folded her arms. "You scared him half to death, Harry. You know we're supposed to be keeping a low profile. None of these people should or need to know who and what we really are."

"How would he know what it was," Harry asked, walking briskly back towards their ground level room.

"Come on," Hermione said hurrying after him. "We were having a wonderful time. Don't let some obnoxious guy spoil it for us."

Harry relaxed as she took his hand. "I just hate when people don't seem to know when to take off."

"And when strange men try to pick up your wife?" she asked teasingly.

"That too," Harry said.

"Now you know a little bit how I feel when those women come up to you," she said.

"Yeah I guess," he muttered, running his free hand through his hair.

"I liked my drink," she said holding up the glass. "What is it?"

"It's called a BBC," Harry answered. "Some Muggle drink made with coconut, bananas and something called Baileys."

"I like it," she said taking another sip. "Good choice."

"I figured you'd like it." Harry smiled at her.

"You always know what I'd like," she said softly.

"I'd like to think I would by now," Harry teased. "After so many years together."

"Many, many, many years," Hermione said dramatically.

"Yet we're still as active as we were when we first met." Harry replied.

"And you're less moody," Hermione pointed out. "Most of the time."

Harry nudged her side. "I beg your pardon?"

"I said most of the time," Hermione clarified.

Harry pulled on her hand as they reached their room and kissed her thoroughly.

"I'm going to spill my drink," she said laughing.

"I give you the best kiss you've had all day and you're worried about your drink?" he gave her his best injured look.

Hermione closed the door behind them and set the drink down on the table. "I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"Damn straight," Harry tossed the towel down on a chair.

"And just for the record," Hermione said looping her arms around his neck. "I think you have an amazing body."

"I think yours is amazing too," Harry said, dragging his lips over her shoulder.

"You do?" Hermione asked. "I couldn't tell..."

Harry ran his hands down, caressing every inch of her that he could reach.

"Mmmm," Hermione murmured.

"Shall we take this to the bed?" he asked huskily.

"Yes please," Hermione replied.

"As you wish," he kissed under her ear as he scooped her up.

*** *** ***

R.J., Andrew and Jason were in the Great Hall after lunch on the premise of studying for their Potions test that afternoon, but they hadn't really mentioned Potions save for a few rude comments about Snape.

"That match between the Cannons and the Tornados was classic," Jason was saying to Andrew. "Paul Davies is brilliant!"

"Paul Davies is a jerk," R.J. said flatly.

Jason stared at him as if he'd just sprouted a second head. "You're kidding right? He's brilliant. The Cannons wouldn't be where they are right now if it wasn't for him."

"He's an asshole," R.J. said. "Trust me, I know."

"Your sister used to date him right?" Jason asked.

"Yeah," R.J. replied. "And he's an ass."

"Okay, he's still brilliant though," Jason said shaking his head.

R.J. rolled his eyes at Andrew, who grinned and looked down at his potions text.

"Hi guys," Monica Battersby said coming over to their table. "Hi, Jas."

"Hey," Jason smiled at her.

"Potions, eh?" she asked sitting down beside him. "We had that earlier today. Make sure you know the ingredients for Murtlap Essence. He had loads of questions about that one."

"Hey thanks," Jason grinned at her. "That's a big help."

"Yeah," Andrew grinned at her. "Snape won't know what hit him if we know the right answer. This is great!"

Monica smiled. "No problem."

She looked at R.J. who seemed a little wary of her. "I heard about what happened with you and Chris over the holiday."

"I'm sure she couldn't keep her mouth shut," R.J. rolled his eyes again.

Monica nodded. "She definitely had quite a bit to say about it all. I kept trying to tell her she was playing with fire, but you know Chris, she never listens."

R.J. raised an eyebrow. "You've got that right."

"I certainly wouldn't mess with Saffron Potter," Monica said looking at Andrew.

Andrew grinned. "I'm on her good side."

R.J. laughed at that. "You're smart Monica." he said, finally smiling at her. "Smarter than your friend."

"She's my best friend and I love her, but she's gone a little overboard lately," Monica said. "I've tried to tell her to leave well enough alone."

"Too bad she doesn't listen," Andrew agreed.

"She's still with Peter and I don't even know why," Monica said. "They have nothing in common."

"Wait so she is actually going out with him?" R.J. asked in disbelief. "He fed Saf all this crap about it not being real when we were on the train coming back here after hols."

"They were snogging in our common room last night," Monica said. "Looked to me like they were still on."

Jason shook his head. "So what are you up to?" he asked, pulling her down on the seat next to him and kissing her cheek.

"I have Herbology in about an hour and I was going to catch up on my reading," she said grinning at him.

"You should sit with us," Andrew invited, giving a sly smile to Jason.

"You guys wouldn't mind?" Monica asked.

"Nah," R.J. also smiled at her. "I think it'd make little Jas here very happy."

"Sounds good to me," Jason said smiling at her.

"Okay," Monica said. "I'll stay then."

"We should probably really study now since we know what's going to be on the exam," Andrew said, looking back at his potions text.

"Yeah," R.J. agreed. "I really need to do well on this one."

"Mon, what are you doing over here?" Christina asked tapping her friend on the shoulder.

"I'm sitting with Jason and his friends," Monica told her.

"Oh yes," Christina said bitterly. "Saffron Potter's new lapdog and Junior."

"Don't call me Junior," R.J. said coolly.

"I bet if I was little Alexandra you wouldn't mind," Christina scoffed.

"Her name is Alexa," R.J. said through clenched teeth. "And don't you worry about her."

"Trust me, I don't," Christina said glaring at him. "Mon, come and sit with me. I really need to see your notes."

"Here," Monica handed her some parchment. "I want to sit with Jason so just give these back to me in Herbology."

"You're supposed to be my best friend," Christina hissed snatching the parchment from her.

"I am Chris," Monica replied. "You know that."

"Then act like it every once in awhile," Christina shot back.

R.J. stood up. "Chris, how about you and I have a quick word?"

Christina smiled sweetly. "Of course Junior. But I'm afraid you can't have me back. I have a new boyfriend now."

R.J. rolled his eyes. "I'll try to carry on. Come on, Chris..."

He pulled her out of the Great Hall just outside the doors. "What is your problem?" he demanded.

"I don't have a problem," she said defensively.

"Why are you being so nasty all the time?" he asked. "Shite- it's been over a year since we broke up and you're still trying to get between me and Alexa. And now you're yelling at your friend because she wants to sit with her own boyfriend."

"I wasn't yelling," Christina said folding her arms across her chest.

"You know what I mean," R.J. glared at her,

"You and I were doing fine," Christina finally said. "We were great and then we come back to school and you started hanging out with Saffron Potter and the next thing I know, you break things off with me. After what you and I did, how do you think that made me feel?"

"I was friends with Saf long before you and I dated," he told her. "And we were having problems by the time we got back."

"Funny how those problems cropped up right after we shagged," Christina said quietly. "You certainly didn't have any problems with me when we did that, did you?"

"Don't act like that," R.J. said. "You were the one who instigated it!"

"Yes, but you didn't turn me down, did you?" Christina asked, tears forming in her eyes.

"Did I really hurt you that bad?" R.J. asked, feeling a bit remorseful.

Christina nodded. "I always thought my first time would be special and it really was, but then afterwards..."

"Look I'm sorry," R.J. apologised. "I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but you haven't made things easy either."

"I know," Christina said sobbing. "It just hurt."

R.J. patted her back, hoping this wasn't another trick of hers. "I am sorry Chris."

"Did you ever love me?" Christina asked in a small voice.

R.J. wasn't sure how to answer that.

"You didn't," Christina said quietly.

"Not like that," he said. "Not how I love Lexie... and I'm sorry."

Christina sobbed even harder.

"Chris come on," R.J. said as a few fellow students walked by and gave him a strange look. "Stop crying okay?" he patted her shoulder awkwardly.

Christina wiped her eyes and looked up at him. "You only fancied me because of how I looked, didn't you?"

R.J. sighed. "Part of it, sure. But I thought you were funny, and you liked me too."

"I was in love with you," Christina corrected in a sad voice. "And you used me."

"I did not use you Chris," R.J. replied.

"Don't you understand how I would see it that way?" she asked him.

"I guess," R.J. said. "But it was a year ago- over a year ago now. And we've both moved on."

Christina nodded. "I suppose."

"Well then what's the big deal?" R.J. asked.

"It's hard to see you treating that girl the way you used to treat me," she said honestly. "And I wanted to hurt you just like you hurt me, R.J.."

"Obviously," he said. "But you're hurting her and your friends more."

"I'm sorry," Christina said softly.

"Me too," R.J. chanced a smile at her. "Think we can let it all go?"

"I'd like that," Christina said wiping at her eyes again.

"Saf's not going to know what hit her," R.J. teased.

"She hates me," Christina said with a slight laugh.

"She might not after awhile," R.J. offered. "Come on, you can sit with us in there."

"Really?" Christina asked. "You'd want that?"

"I can let bygones be bygones if you can," R.J. said honestly.

"I'd like that," Christina said smiling at him. "Thanks, R.J.."

He followed her back into the Great Hall, wondering if that had really just happened. "I have exactly forty five minutes to study now," he announced. "Murtlap Essence, here I come."

Julie dismissed her class early so Saffron and Alexa made their way toward the Great Hall hoping to grab a quick bite to eat.

"I'm not just saying this," Alexa said to Saffron. "But Julie really is the best professor we have."

"I'm completely biased so I agree," Saffron giggled.

Alexa laughed. "Even if she weren't your sister, I'd feel the same way. Even some of the Slytherins like her, too. Though, they'd never admit it."

"I think they'd rather jump off the Astronomy Tower," Saffron agreed. "That might be an improvement though..."

"Saf," Alexa said nudging her. "You are terrible!"

"She has a point though," Mimi chimed in from behind them. "It would be an improvement."

"Thank you, thank you." Saffron bowed. "I do know what I'm talking about half the time these days."

"Because you're too busy with Andrew Kirke the other half," Beth teased her.

"Can you blame her?" Mimi asked. "He is pretty dreamy."

"That he is," Saffron replied in satisfaction.

"Does anyone know what we're having for lunch today?" Beth asked. "I'm famished. I overslept so I didn't get to eat breakfast."

"I don't know but I can smell it," Alexa replied. "And I'm ravenous."

Beth was the first one in the Great Hall and she stopped when she saw who was sitting at the Gryffindor table. Saffron, Alexa and Mimi bumped into her.

"Beth!" Saffron said. "You can't just stop walking like that!"

"Um, sorry," Beth said turning around. "But look who's sitting at the table..."

"What the hell..." Saffron blinked. "Did hell freeze over?"

Alexa looked over and couldn't believe her eyes. R.J., Andrew, and Jason were sitting with Monica Battersby...and Christina Grant. Christina was saying something to R.J. that caused him to laugh.

Mimi pinched her arm. "Okay, we're not dreaming..."

Alexa bit her lower lip. "What do you think she's doing there?" she asked softly.

"I don't know," Saffron said. "But I say we just sit down away from them and act like we couldn't care less."

"I guess," Alexa replied, not sure if she wanted to sit away from R.J. while Christina was right across the table from him.

Saffron led the way and they walked past R.J., Andrew and the others.

"You always got that wrong!" Christina was saying to R.J.. "The first time I heard you do it, I nearly peed myself."

"Say what?" Saffron stopped in her tracks.

"Hi Saf," R.J. said nervously. "Hi, Lex."

"Don't you Hi Saf me," Saffron said glaring at him. "What is she doing here?"

"Saffy," Andrew got up. "Come sit by me all right?"

"Not if she's here," Saffron said motioning to Christina.

"Hello, Saffron," Christina said forcing herself to be polite. "Alexa."

"Are you possessed or something?" Saffron asked her hands on her hips. "When did you start being nice?"

"I'm sorry for the things I did to you and Alexa," Christina said trying to make an effort.

"She means it," R.J. said looking pleadingly at Saffron. "We talked, Saf."

Alexa looked at the older girl and thought she seemed sincere. "Okay," she said softly.

"I don't believe we've ever met officially," Monica said standing up. "I'm Monica, Christina's best friend."

"Nice to meet you," Alexa said shaking the girl's hand.

"Let me get this straight," Saffron said. "You and the ice queen here have a little talk and now everything's okay?"

"We're trying, okay Saf?" R.J. said, also standing up. "Come on... for me, just be nice?"

Saffron could only gape at him. After all Christina had done to him and to her and Alexa, he was okay with her sitting here as if everything was okay? It didn't make sense.

"You look very pretty today Alexa," Christina said to the younger girl as she sat down. "I've always thought you had lovely hair."

"Oh..." Alexa said, "Thank you Christina." she offered a small smile at the older girl.

"I cannot do this," Saffron said staring at R.J.. "Come on! You really expect me to believe she's for real? She's been incredibly rude and mean to me and Alexa and she's had it out for you since you dumped her. And now everything's okay and we're supposed to all be friends? I don't think so!"

"Saf come on, let's go take a walk." Andrew shut his potions text.

"No," Saffron said stubbornly. "This is the Gryffindor table and she's not a Gryffindor and she's certainly not my friend. If anyone should leave, she should!"

Christina's lips were drawn into a tight line. "Fine." she said coolly, getting up.

"No," R.J. said putting a hand out to stop her. "You don't have to go."

"No I don't want to offend the Queen of Gryffindor any more than I already have," Christina replied.

"I'll go with you," Monica said gathering her books. "I'll see you at dinner, Jas."

"I'll go too," Jason replied. "I'll walk you both to Herbology on my way to Potions."

"Bye R.J.," Christina said quietly. "Bye Alexa, Andrew."

"I can't believe you," R.J. said to Saffron once they'd gone. "She's sorry okay?"

"And that makes it okay?" Saffron asked finally sitting down beside Alexa. "Funny what a selective memory you have."

"Look I think I can tell when someone's genuinely sorry all right?" R.J. snapped. "She told me some things that I hadn't known before and it makes a lot of sense as to why she's acted the way she has."

"The only reason she acted like she has is because she's a first class bitch," Saffron said. "I guess you enjoy seeing her hurt Alexa's feelings or that she dated Peter just to get back at me."

R.J. shook his head. "I'm going to class," he said. "I'll see you later all right Lexie?"

"But---" Alexa sputtered. "Guys, don't be like this."

"He probably wants to go meet up with the Snit of Ravenclaw so they can share more stories," Saffron glared at him. "Honestly R.J., how daft can you be?"

R.J. glared back at her. "You think she's playing us? Come on, Saffy. I know Chris. If she was---"

"So now she's Chris?" Saffron interjected with a laugh. "Watch out, Alexa."

"Come on Saffy," Alexa said quietly. "Knock it off all right? I trust R.J.."

"I don't have time to deal with this now," R.J. said. "Come on, Andrew. We've got potions."

"Right," Andrew said, getting up. For once he didn't feel like giving his girlfriend a kiss goodbye as he hurried out of the Great Hall with R.J..

"You were a little harsh weren't you Saffy?" Mimi asked.

"She's a raging bitch," Saffron snapped. "She's been nothing but horrid to us from the moment we came to this school and now all of a sudden she's every Gryffindor's best friend?"

"I'd apt to agree with Saffy on this one," Beth commented. "Christina Grant always has an agenda."

"Thank you," Saffron said. "Finally someone sees it my way."

"R.J. said that he had spoken with her," Alexa said playing devil's advocate. "Maybe what she said cleared up a lot of things. She seemed sincere..."

"To give the devil her due, she's a great actress," Saffron sat down and pulled a plate of sandwiches towards her. "She could convince anyone of anything if she put her mind to it."

"I'd wonder if she perhaps had Veela blood in her with how she's able to get guys to do whatever she wants," Beth said.

"I guess only time will tell," Alexa sighed. "If she's faking being nice, she's bound to slip up sooner or later."

"And I'll be there to rub it in your stupid boyfriend's face when she does," Saffron said smugly.

"Don't Saffy," Alexa pleaded. "Don't get in another fight with him, please? I hate being in the middle with you two."

"Take my side then," Saffron said. "Then you won't be in the middle. Do you remember how she tried to befriend you at the beginning of the term only to let it 'slip' that she'd shagged R.J.? Come on, Alexa. You're a smart girl. Don't just do what R.J. wants you to do."

"I think I'm going to class early," Alexa scooped up her bag. "I'm really not that hungry."

"Lex---" Saffron said. "You're not cross with me, are you?"

"I don't know," Alexa said. "You just... you always want me on one side or the other Saffy. You don't get how hard it is for me when you and R.J. fight."

Saffron hadn't really thought about it like that before. "You're right. I'm sorry, Lex."

"Okay," Alexa smiled at her friend.

"I'll quit trying to make you choose sides," Saffron said. She grinned mischievously at her. "But I am usually right..."

"I'm not even going there," Alexa rolled her eyes.

"And she's modest too," Beth said as Alexa sat back down.

"And scary," Mimi chimed in.

"And a prefect," Saffron gave them murderous glances.

"And I think I'll shut up now," Mimi said grinning back at her.

"Meems you're a smart girl," Saffron laughed. "Smarter than people give you credit for."

"I think that was a compliment," Mimi said thoughtfully.

"It was," Saffron nodded.

"Take what you can get," Alexa teased. "You know she doesn't compliment very often."

"This is how it should be," Saffron said. "We don't get to do this nearly enough---just us girls."

"That's true," Beth nodded. "Minus the drama."

"Boys bring the drama," Mimi said. "Big time."

"Always," Saffron said. "Even the cute ones."

"Especially the cute ones," Alexa said. "Things were so much easier when we were 11 and didn't know better."

"Sometimes I still wish we were," Saffron giggled. "But then I kiss Andrew and I never want to stop."

"Not something you could do at 11," Alexa said laughing.