Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Thank you all SO much for your reviews- we've answered them all, so be sure and check them out! In this chapter we have a lot of Saffron- and some RJ/Alexa drama. As always, we hope you enjoy it and please let us know what you think!

And at the end- we have the new story title and summary up for you guys to see. We will be posting it on Thursday nights!

Saffron wondered where the time had gone. It seemed like just yesterday she and her family were leaving for Brighton. Now, she was three days away from starting back at Hogwarts. While she was looking forward to seeing Alexa and her other friends again, she would miss Sean.

Her mother had taken her into Diagon Alley for school supplies today and when they'd returned, Hermione had given the okay for Saffron to invite Sean over. At the moment, she and Sean were walking through the gardens.

"So are you excited about being back in school?" he asked, breaking into her thoughts.

Saffron nodded. "I'm ready to see Lex. She's not getting back from her hols with her parents until the day before we leave."

"She's a really nice girl," Sean said. "And R.J.'s a decent bloke. He really cares about her."

"He does," Saffron said. "And they seem to think you're pretty decent too."

Sean smiled at her. "What do you think?" he asked, weaving their fingers together.

Saffron pretended to think this over. "You're okay, I suppose."

"Okay?" he asked, tickling her.

"Better than okay," she said giggling. "Stop!"

"That's more like it," he grinned.

"So," she said looking sideways at him. "What about you? Are you ready to go back to school?"

"I guess so," Sean replied as they resumed walking. "I wish I went to school with you guys though."

"So you could be closer to your cousin?" Saffron asked teasingly.

"You read my mind," Sean said sarcastically. "Because I don't see enough of her only twice a year."

"I can't believe the two of you are related," Saffron said thoughtfully. "I mean you're wonderful and she's just...not."

"I'm wonderful?" Sean asked, nudging her.

"I think so," Saffron said nudging him back.

He pulled his hand from hers and slipped his arm around her shoulders. "That feeling is completely mutual," he said in her ear.

Saffron grinned. "I'm so glad we met this summer, Sean."

"I am too," Sean said as they sat down together on a bench. "I didn't expect to find myself a girl, especially one as cool as you Saffron."

"I feel the same way about you," she said still holding on to his hand.

Sean stroked her cheek for a moment before leaning in to kiss her.

Saffron's arms wrapped around his neck as she deepened the kiss. This was something she would definitely miss.

Her hair was soft as he ran his fingers through the curls repeatedly; she moved over so she was practically sitting on his lap as their kiss grew quite heated.

"Sean," Saffron breathed.

"You're incredible," he murmured, his lips brushing against hers again.

"You are too," she said softly.

They spent the next half hour or so in breathless silence, just kissing. "I'm really going to miss you during the school term," Sean said once they'd pulled apart.

Saffron felt the same way and wondered if perhaps was the time to talk about what they'd both avoided for quite some time.

"I wonder," Sean began thoughtfully. "How we... how we can continue this while we're so far apart..."

"I know," Saffron said quietly.

"I like you," Sean said. "A lot. That won't change."

Saffron knew what was coming. "But who's to say we won't meet someone while we're away at school?"

Sean was quiet a moment. "Yeah," he finally said. "I guess you're right."

"But we can still see each other at holidays," Saffron continued. "And just see how things go."

"How about..." Sean thought for a minute. "What if... we sort of broke up... and next summer holidays, if we are both still single..."

"We get back together," Saffron finished. "If the feelings are still there, of course."

Sean smiled at her. "We can still write each other right? And maybe see each other at Christmas?"

"Of course," Saffron said grinning back at him. "And I expect a great present, Mr Grant. You have a few months to prepare."

Sean laughed. "That goes double for you, Ms. Potter. Something very cool and magical."

"Like me," Saffron said with a laugh.

"Exactly," Sean grinned. "I'm really glad I met you. For a summer girlfriend, I had a really good time with you."

"Well you were my first boyfriend," Saffron said. "And I couldn't have asked for a better one."

"I was your first boyfriend?" Sean asked. "Really?"

Saffron blushed. "Not my first kiss, but my first boyfriend, yes."

"I can live with that," Sean teased.

Saffron heard her mother calling out for her. It was probably time to head over to her grandmother's. She was going to spend some time with her before she left. "I should probably get back," Saffron said.

"Okay," Sean said, leaning in. "One goodbye kiss until next summer, hopefully."

"Hopefully," Saffron said kissing him one last time and making it count.

"You sure like to go out with a bang," Sean said several minutes later when they broke apart.

"I wanted to give you something to remember me by," she said with a wink.

"That might just tide me over," he joked. "Guess I'll have to get used to this owling thing. I don't want us to lose touch."

"Me either," Saffron agreed.

"Saffy!" Hermione called out. "Come on sweetheart!"

"I'll be right there Mum!" Saffron called back.

"I guess this is goodbye for now," Sean said. "I'll miss you Saf."

"Goodbye," Saffron said hugging him tightly. "I'll miss you too Sean."

"I'll see you over Christmas hols," Sean said, touching her curls. "Say bye to R.J. and Alexa for me will you?"

"If they come up for air I will," Saffron joked.

"Right," Sean teased as Saffron led him inside. Her mother had hooked up the Floo Network temporarily to Sean's house and she threw a pinch of the powder into the fireplace for him.

"Remember how I told you to get home?" she asked.

"State my address loudly and clearly," Sean said nodding.

"Right," Saffron smiled.

Sean stepped inside the fireplace and did as she'd instructed before. Within a matter of moments, he was gone.

"Saffy," Hermione said coming into the sitting room with her bag. "Are you ready to go love?"

"Yeah," Saffron's eyes were still on the fireplace.

Hermione watched her daughter. "Saffy...?"

"What?" Saffron turned and looked at her mother.

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked. "I know it couldn't have been easy to say goodbye to Sean."

"We broke up," Saffron said softly. "I mean, we agreed to stay friends, and if we're both not seeing anyone next summer and we still like each other, we'll get back together. But I'm really going to miss him." Unexpected tears welled up in her eyes.

Hermione crossed the room and embraced her daughter. "I'm sorry sweetheart."

"I'll be okay," Saffron said. "I guess... I never really felt like that about a bloke before. I never knew breaking up with someone could be hard."

"I wish I could tell you it gets easier as you get older, but I'd be lying," Hermione said smoothing her daughter's hair back.

Saffron smiled. "I wish it was easy like it was for you and dad. You both knew you wanted each other the first time you met."

"It wasn't easy for me and your father," Hermione said putting an arm around her. "We went through quite a bit before we were finally together."

"Yeah I know, but it's so romantic, like fate and all that." Saffron said.

"You'll have that one day too," Hermione said. "Someone who will sweep you off your feet and make you feel all those butterflies."

"Right," Saffron said, feeling better already. "After all, I'm only fifteen. I have loads of time for romance. While I'm not playing Quidditch, doing Prefect duties, and studying that is."

"And becoming the second Potter daughter to become Head Girl?" Hermione asked. "Of course that's not until a couple years from now, right?"

"Right," Saffron said. "But I fully intend on being Head Girl. I'll do whatever it takes to make it."

"Either way your father and I are so proud of you," Hermione said hugging her daughter again.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said. "I want to make you both proud, always."

Hermione smiled at her. "We'd better head on out to your grandmother's."

"I can't wait to see her," Saffron collected her bag and they left. "I'm really going to miss her too while I'm at school."

"She's always loved when you wrote to her," Hermione said. "It would mean a great deal to her if you kept doing that."

"I'll write to her all the time," Saffron vowed.

"And I'm so glad you'll have Julie there this year too," Hermione said. "Your sister is so excited about her new job."

"I'm so glad I'll get to see her every day." Saffron said. "Now I'll just miss seeing Ethan, you and Dad."

"You're actually going to miss Ethan?" Hermione asked in mock surprise.

"I know, I know," Saffron giggled. "Maybe I'll miss Maddie a little more..."

"I promise I won't tell anyone," Hermione said laughing.

"Thanks Mum," Saffron said, leaning against her.

"You're my sweet girl Saffy," Hermione said. "You've helped me so much this summer."

"I'm glad I could help," Saffron said. "You're the best Mum."

"I'm going to miss having you around," Hermione said.

"Well I'll be back for Christmas before you know it," Saffron grinned. "And then Easter hols and it'll be summer again."

"Right," Hermione said grinning back at her.

"And you and Dad will have the house to yourselves again," Saffron rolled her eyes. "We all know how much Dad loves that."

"He misses you so much when you're gone," Hermione said.

"When you two aren't busy that is," Saffron said dryly with a giggle.

"Okay, moving on," Hermione said shaking her head.

"I'll write home at least once a week, if not more," Saffron promised.

"And you let us know how your tryouts go," Hermione told her.

"Oh definitely," Saffron said. "I'll let you know when I make the team."

Hermione smiled. "And your dad and I will come to your first match. Though I must say, I'm not looking forward to watching my baby flying so high in the sky."

"Mum," Saffron said. "I'll be fine!"

"I know," Hermione said. "I just can't help it. My stomach will be in knots the whole time."

"And afterwards you'll be even more proud than you already are," Saffron laughed.

"But I'll be happier when your feet are firmly back on the ground," Hermione said.

"If you say so," Saffron replied. "Maybe you can even bring Gran."

"Now that's a great idea," Hermione said with a wide grin. "She'd love that. She's always loved to watch you fly."

"Great," Saffron said. "I'll write her a letter when I make the team and you can make sure she gets it."

"I will," Hermione said. She was glad to spend these last few days with her daughter. Last year, she hadn't been able to accompany Saffron and Harry to Diagon Alley and the year before that, Saffron had gone with R.J. and his parents. Losing her father had put everything into perspective for Hermione. She wanted to make sure that she spent as much time with her family. Being Minister was important and Hermione was proud of what she'd accomplished over the years in the position, but it all paled in comparison to how she felt about her family. She and Harry had raised three healthy, happy, well-rounded children. And that above all else, was what she was most proud of.

*** *** ***

Saffron motioned for her friends to follow her as she found an empty compartment on the train. "I have to go up front for the Prefect's meeting but I'll come back soon as I'm finished," she said, putting her bag on the bench. "I can't believe school is already starting up again!"

"Take a breath Saffy," Alexa said giggling. "You've been on go since we arrived at the station."

"I'm excited," Saffron said defensively.

"The Perfect Prefect," R.J. teased. "Don't worry. I actually need to catch up with Andrew and let him know about tryouts."

"Don't forget to tell me too," Saffron replied. "I fully intend on making the team."

"Yes we know," R.J. rolled his eyes. "You've only been talking about it all bloody summer long."

"Sod off you," Saffron said. "Lex, are you going to be okay by yourself? I hate that we're both leaving you..."

"I'll hold down the fort," Alexa joked. "And I have my book to read. So you two go and just hurry back okay?"

"Will do," Saffron promised. "Come on R.J...."

"After you," R.J. held the door open. He gave Alexa a quick kiss. "I'll be back really soon I promise."

Alexa laughed and pushed him out of the compartment. She pulled her book out of her bag and settled down in her seat.

Christina Grant was looking for a compartment as well and she nearly collided with R.J. and Saffron as they both practically sprinted toward the back of the train. Neither of them noticed her which only infuriated her even more.

Alexa was already deeply immersed on her novel when the compartment door slid open. "Back so soon?" she asked looking up with a smile, only to frown immediately as she saw who it was.

"Hi Alexandra," Christina said warmly closing the compartment door. "How are you?"

"My name isn't Alexandra," she said coolly.

"Right," Christina said sitting down across from her. "I hope you don't mind me barging in here like this, but I think you and I have something in common."

"I hardly think so," Alexa skipped her eyes back down to her book and tried to ignore the older girl.

"We both fell for R.J. Weasley," Christina said leaning forward and pulling a sympathetic face. "And then had our hearts broken. I must say you're taking this quite well, Alexa."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alexa would not fall into Christina's trap

"Saffron's quite pretty," Christina said with a frown. "I know it can't be easy for you."

Alexa rolled her eyes and didn't respond.

"You were his consolation prize," Christina continued. "He couldn't have what he really wanted so he settled for you."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alexa said, annoyed. "But I'd appreciate it if you'd stay out of my business."

"I just don't want you to make the same mistake I did," Christina said moving over to sit down beside Alexa.

"With R.J., I don't think anything I could do is a mistake," Alexa said evenly. "He loves me."

Christina forced some tears to come to her eyes wanting to make this as convincing as she could.

"I thought he really cared about me too," she sniffed. "He has this way of making you feel like the most special girl in the whole world. That's why I didn't have any doubts when we..."

Alexa sighed. "When you what?" she asked.

"When we...you know," Christina replied as a tear fell down her cheek. "It was really quite romantic really. He came over to my house during the Christmas hols. There was no one home and one thing kind of led to another..."

"Please," Alexa rolled her eyes. "I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to get between R.J. and me. He doesn't want to be with you anymore so get over it."

Christina bit back her retort. This girl had some nerve, she thought bitterly.

"I have gotten over it Alexa," Christina said instead. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"You've never cared about me before," Alexa replied. "You didn't even remember my name when you walked in here."

"I admit I haven't been the friendliest to you," Christina said thoughtfully. "But it's hard to see the boy you gave your virginity to move on to someone else."

For a moment Alexa wasn't sure she'd heard right. "What?" she finally asked.

Christina wanted to pump her fist in triumph. She had the poor girl on the hook. All she had to do now was reel her in.

"R.J. and I were...well...we..." Christina said her voice breaking.

"I don't believe you," Alexa said bluntly.

"Ask R.J.," Christina said wiping a tear from her cheek.

Alexa turned away. "I really want you to leave," she said, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Okay," Christina said nodding. "Just remember, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here. I've been in your shoes."

Alexa didn't answer as the older girl slid out of the compartment, shutting the door purposefully behind her.

Nearly fifteen minutes later, R.J. came back into the compartment carrying a few sweets he'd nicked from the cart. "That woman who runs the cart never can resist me," he said smiling at Alexa. "I got you some Bertie Bott's."

Alexa jumped. "Oh," she said softly. "Thanks."

R.J. laughed. "Didn't mean to startle you. You looked lost in though there Lexie. Everything okay?"

"Fine," Alexa replied quickly.

R.J. sat down beside her. "Saf's not finished with her meeting yet. I'm sure she'll be in soon enough though."

"Okay," Alexa said. "I'm just reading my book..." she buried her nose back in her tome.

R.J. looked at her strangely. "You want to waste our time alone reading a book?" he asked teasingly.

"It's a good one," Alexa said, hating that she was reverting to her old shyness and hating it even more that she was letting Christina Grant come between her and R.J..

He leaned over. "Lex, you're on page two."

"I've read it before," she covered.

"Come on," he said pulling the book out of her hands. "We probably won't have that much time alone, Lexie. Saffy will be back soon and then we'll be back at Hogwarts before you know it. We'll have the feast and then we have to get settled back into our rooms. I haven't seen you in two weeks. Come on..."

He was looking at her so earnestly that Alexa couldn't resist. She leaned in and pressed her lips to his, trying to force herself to forget the horrid girl's words.

R.J. pulled her closer glad that she had let down whatever wall she'd put up between them. "That's my girl," he whispered in between kisses.

"I love being your girl," she said softly.

"So I'm better than some old book eh?" he asked resting his forehead on hers.

"Oh yes," she said, her eyes closed.

"Well you are better than sitting in a compartment with Andrew, Chris and Jason talking about Quidditch," he said with a grin. "They certainly had a go at me for leaving to come snog my girlfriend."

"I'm glad," she said as he stroked her cheek.

"And they promised to be cover for us if you wanted to sneak into my room again," R.J. said before kissing her again.

"You told them about that?" Alexa gasped, pulling away.

"Well, they've done it before too," R.J. explained.

"But I thought we weren't going to say anything about that, so we don't get caught." Alexa replied.

R.J. tried to take her hand, but she pulled away from him. "Lex, they're my mates. They won't say anything. You told Saffy about it. It's not like I plan on walking up to McGonagall and telling her."

"I know but... the less people that know the better." Alexa replied, turning to look out the window and wishing Saffron would come back.

R.J. put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Lexie. Hey, it's not like you'll get in trouble. Your best friend is a prefect."

"I guess," Alexa said, feelings tears start to gather in her eyes. No matter what she did she couldn't stop thinking of what Christina had told her about sleeping with R.J..

"Will you talk to ..." R.J. started to say, but the compartment door swung open and Saffron came inside.

"You two aren't snogging?" she asked teasingly. "I expected the glass to be all fogged up by now."

"I need to use the loo," Alexa said, brushing past her best friend and practically running down the corridor.

Saffron folded her arms and looked at R.J.. "What did you do?"

"Nothing!" R.J. held up his hands. "I swear Saffy- I came back from talking to the guys about Quidditch and she's all upset about something. I didn't do anything!"

"She was perfectly fine on the platform," Saffron said. "Did something happen when she was on her own?"

R.J. shook his head. "No one's been in here since I came back- and she didn't say anything to me about anyone coming in."

"When you and I were rushing to the back of the train we almost ran into Christina," Saffron said. "I swear, if that girl said one thing out of sorts to Alexa, I'll make her eat slugs."

"Damn it," R.J. swore. "I'll go talk to Lex."

"I'd better go," Saffron said. "If that bitch comes in here I'd better see her walking back out with permanent spots."

"She'll be lucky if that's all she leaves with," R.J. said. "Thanks Saffy."

"Sure," Saffron said. "I'll sort it out R.J. don't worry."

Saffron walked toward the back of the train wishing that she could run into Christina Grant along the way.

In the loo, Alexa was wiping her eyes wishing she could start this whole day over again.

"Lex?" a knock sounded softly on the door. "You in there?"

"Yes," Alexa said weakly. "It's open."

"Hey," Saffron poked her head inside. "Can I join you?"

Alexa nodded. "I'm sorry for rushing out."

"Want to talk?" Saffron asked.

"I don't even know where to begin," she said quietly.

"Did Christina Grant say something to you?" Saffron guessed. "If she did, it's probably a big lie. She's so jealous of you Lex."

"She did," Alexa said wiping at her eyes. "She did say something and I'm not...I'm not so sure it was a lie."

"Tell me," Saffron said, handing her friend a tissue.

Alexa took it gratefully and dabbed at her eyes. She wasn't even sure she could bring herself to say it. "She said," Alexa started. "She said that she and R.J....that she and R.J. had..."

"Had..." Saffron didn't know what Alexa was going at.

"Slept together," Alexa finished. "They slept together, Saffy."

Saffron stared at her friend. "What?"

"This past Christmas," Alexa said weakly. "She said that he'd come over to her house and that one thing had led to another and they slept together."

"But... that's impossible." Saffron said. "R.J. wouldn't do something that stupid."

"You know what she looks like," Alexa sniffed. "Who would blame him if he did? They were going out at the time. It's not impossible, Saffy. No matter how much I wish it were."

"Do you... do you want me to ask him?" Saffron offered, feeling sick to her stomach.

Alexa shook her head. "I don't know what to do Saffy."

"I'll find out," Saffron said, standing back up. "He won't lie to me."

"I thought he wouldn't lie to me," Alexa said quietly. "This shouldn't make any difference, but he said that he never loved her, Saffy. I can't imagine doing something like that with someone you didn't love."

"I can't either," Saffron agreed softly. "Just wait here Lex. I'll go find out okay?"

Alexa nodded and watched helplessly as Saffron walked out of the loo.

Saffron took her time heading back to the compartment. Part of her couldn't believe that R.J. would have actually stooped so low as to have slept with that monster.

When the compartment door opened again, R.J. looked up hopefully. He was a little dismayed when he saw Saffron was alone.

"Did you talk to her?" R.J. asked. "Is she okay?"

"I need to ask you something," Saffron began uncertainly. "And you have to be honest with me R.J., because I'll know if you're lying."

"Okay," he said slowly. "What's going on?"

"At Christmas hols..." Saffron began. "Did you shag Christina?"

R.J. had expected to hear something about him telling his roommates about Alexa sneaking into their room. He certainly hadn't expected to hear this question.

"What?" he asked avoiding Saffron's gaze.

"Did you?" Saffron asked pointedly.

"I need to go and talk to Lexie," he said starting to get to his feet.

"No," Saffron said, blocking the door. "You need to tell me. She doesn't want to see you right now."

R.J. looked down at Saffron. "Yes, but it was..."

"You mean you did?" Saffron asked, a sinking feeling in her stomach.

"It just happened," R.J. tried to explain. "We were alone at her house Saffy. I...I really don't want to talk about this with you. I need to explain this to Lex."

"She doesn't want to see you," Saffron said firmly.

R.J. groaned in frustration. "It was a mistake, Saffy. It only happened once."

Saffron shook her head. "Let me go talk to her again." she said. "I'll try and get her to come back in here okay?"

R.J. nodded. "Saffy, I'm sorry."

"It's not me you have to apologise to," Saffron said. "You should have told her though R.J.. You should have told her right away."

R.J. knew she was right. He had thought about telling her so many times over the summer, but he'd chickened out. He just hoped he wasn't going to lose the best thing that had ever happened to him because of one stupid mistake.

"I'll try and reason with her," Saffron said. "I'll be back soon as I can."

Alexa was still sitting in the loo trying her best to keep it together. Two other girls had already come in and out of the loo and given her strange looks. They couldn't have been older than 11 she thought sadly as a small girl with black hair exited the loo just as Saffy came back inside.

"You talked to him?" she asked dreading the answer. One look at her friend's face and she had a feeling this wasn't going to be what she wanted to hear.

"He... he said it was a big mistake," Saffron began. "And that it was only once."

Her resolve crumbled again at this and she buried her head in her hands. Ben had been right all along.

"Lex," Saffron locked the door and hugged her friend. "I'm really trying to see this from both your points of view. I told him he should have said something and he agrees."

"This changes everything though," Alexa said sobbing.

"How?" Saffron asked gently. "He still loves you. He's still your boyfriend."

Alexa shook her head. "We're...we're too different. I don't know how I allowed myself to think this could work."

"That's silly," Saffron said. "How are you both different? Just because he's not a virgin and you are?"

"I'm not ready to do that," Alexa said quietly. "I've never...I would never do that with someone unless I loved them. But he did, Saffy! Do you really think he's just going to sit around and be happy with snogs in the common room when he could have so much more with girls like Christina?"

"If he wanted that, he'd have it," Saffron said, giving R.J. the benefit of the doubt. "I know he and I don't always get along... but I do know him well. I know that he goes for what he wants. And if he didn't want you, then he would never have said he loves you. And he wouldn't be sitting back in the compartment upset because you're in here crying right now."

Alexa let this sink in for a moment before she continued. "I don't know if I can get past this though. Saffy, I keep seeing him with her in my mind. And I just can't..."

There was a knock on the door and both girls turned.

"It's occupied," Saffron called out.

"It's me," R.J. said. "I want to see Alexa."

Alexa shook her head at Saffron.

"Not right now," Saffron said.

"Lexie," R.J. called out. "We need to talk. Just you and me. Let me explain."

"There's nothing to explain," Alexa said, wiping her nose on a tissue. "Just leave me alone right now R.J.."

R.J. leaned against the door. "Will you talk to me after the feast then?"

"I don't know," Alexa answered as Saffron put an arm around her.

Alexa rested her head on Saffron's shoulder.

"Just give her some time R.J.," Saffron called out. "Okay?"

The two girls could hear him sigh. "All right... for now." he walked away back to their compartment.

"Lex?" Saffron asked.

"I don't know," she said miserably. "I don't know about anything right now. Everything was fine before she came in the compartment and now I feel like my life is a wreck."

"I'd like to wring her bloody blonde neck," Saffron said. "She doesn't care about you. She just wanted to cause trouble. We should never have left you alone."

"She'd have come in there anyway," Alexa replied.

"Maybe," Saffron said. "But I still could have knocked her lights out."

"I wouldn't mind now if you did," Alexa joked weakly.

"How about we go and sit with Mimi and Beth?" Saffron suggested. "We can't stay here in the loo the whole time."

"Who's going to get our things?" Alexa asked.

"I'll do it," Saffron said. "Come on, Lexie."

"Okay," Alexa wiped her eyes again and hoped that R.J. wasn't lurking in the corridor anywhere.

Saffron led Alexa toward the front of the train and thankfully they didn't run into anyone save for a couple of first years along the way.

"Hey Mimi, hey Beth," Saffron pushed the compartment door open. "Mind if we join you?"

The other two girls looked up with wide eyes. "You're still friends?" Mimi blurted out.

Saffron looked at them quizzically. "Why wouldn't we be?"

"Well... because of you and R.J...." Beth began tentatively.

Saffron rolled her eyes thinking they were talking about the whole Christina debacle. "That girl doesn't waste anytime, does she? What'd she do pass out fliers when she left the compartment?"

"I don't know anything about Christina," Beth replied. "But um... there's this big rumour going around..."

"What about?" Alexa asked.

"About Saffy and R.J.," Mimi said, looking terrified that Saffron would erupt on them.

"What about me and R.J.?" Saffron asked folding her arms. "Meems..."

"Well... we just heard from some Hufflepuffs that R.J. dumped you," she looked uncomfortably at Alexa. "And that he and Saffron were dating secretly."

"WHAT?" Saffron exploded.

"I'm just the messenger!" Mimi ducked.

"Is it true?" Beth asked.

"No!" Saffron exclaimed. "Of course it's not true!"

"Well that's what everyone is saying," Mimi said sympathetically.

"It's NOT true," Saffron said emphatically. "I was seeing someone else all summer long!"

"Someone said that they saw the two of you in Diagon Alley," Beth said conversationally. "And that you were walking hand in hand and at one point you threw your arms around him and snogged him senseless."

"R.J. and I hung out ONCE in Diagon Alley," Saffron replied. "He was helping me take my mind off my grandfather's death!"

"It's the talk of the train," Mimi said. "They said that was why Lex was in the loo crying her eyes out."

"UGH!" Saffron uttered in frustration. "That's a completely different story!"

"I know Saffy would never do that to me," Alexa said loyally.

"So you're not in love with R.J.?" Mimi asked. "And he didn't dump Lex for you?"

"I told you R.J. Weasley wouldn't do something like that," Beth said smugly.

"You did not!" Mimi said indignantly. "You said you knew all along something like this would happen!"

"I beg your pardon?" Saffron crossed her arms and glared at the girl.

Beth's eyes grew large. "I just said that I thought it would be...well that I thought it would be..."

"Whatever," Saffron huffed, sitting down. "It's NOT true and as a friend I would think you'd give me a bit more credit than THAT!"

"I'm sorry Saffron," Beth said sincerely. "You're right."

"Damn straight I'm right," Saffron said. "I'm bloody going to find out who started this. I bet it was Christina. She seems to be starting plenty of other things today."

"We don't know that for sure," Alexa protested weakly.

"Come on Alexa," Saffron said. "You know that she was behind all this. She's still cross that she lost R.J. and she's bound and determined to make us pay for it."

Alexa only sighed. "Will you go get our things Saffy? Please?"

"Okay," Saffron said. "I'll be back in a bit. You going to be okay on your own?"

"We'll look out for her," Beth said putting an arm around Alexa.

Saffron only nodded before leaving the compartment.

R.J. was sitting in their old compartment staring listlessly out the window when Saffron came back.

"Hey," she said quietly. "It's just me."

"Hey," he returned. "So she really won't see me?"

Saffron snorted. "That's almost the least of our problems."

"I can't imagine things could get even worse," R.J. said.

"There's a rumour going around," Saffron said, gathering her friend's things up. "That you dumped Alexa and that you and I are now dating secretly."

"What?" he asked incredulously. "You've got to be kidding me!"

"That was my reaction too," Saffron said dryly. "If that Christina was the one that started this she'd better pray she doesn't meet me alone at school at any point this year."

"I guess Alexa's heard this too?" R.J. asked.

"She doesn't believe it," Saffron said.

R.J. nodded. "At least I can be grateful for that. Saffy, I've cocked things up, haven't I?"

Saffron shook her head. "You should have told us about this R.J.. But it's not the end of the world. And Christina did it out of malice and that's why I'm not angry with you. I don't even think Alexa's angry at you- she's just hurt and upset."

"It was just one time," R.J. said. "If I could take it back, I would."

"I know," Saffron replied. "And I think deep down, Alexa knows too. I'll try and convince her to talk to you tonight okay?"

"Thanks Saffy," R.J. said giving her a hug. "I don't know what I'd so without...OH FOR MERLIN'S SAKE!"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"That!" R.J. said glaring at the crowd that had gathered around their compartment and witnessed their hug.

"Get the hell out of here!" Saffron shouted. "Or I'm docking points from all your houses!"

The group scurried away and R.J. put his head in his hands. "You know this isn't how I thought my last year at Hogwarts would begin."

Saffron shook her head. "Same here," she replied. "I'd better get out of here and do some damage control. I'm really sorry R.J.."

"Yeah me too," R.J. said sitting back down. "Me too."

The rest of the train ride was spent in silence for the three of them, Alexa would hardly say a word to anyone and Saffron took to telling off just about everyone who came into their compartment. By the time they arrived at school, Saffron was in such a foul mood she'd almost forgotten that her sister was already there as the new Defence professor.

Julie waved at Saffron from the staff table and could tell that her sister looked quite grumpy about something. She'd half expected to see Saffron dance into the Great Hall with happiness.

Saffron gave her a half hearted wave back then glared at a group of fourth years as they went by, whispering and pointing.

"RJ," Andrew said nudging his friend as he sat down. "You never told me you fancied Saffy, too!"

"Fancy her too?" RJ asked. "What are you talking about?"

Jason guffawed. "I just wonder how he keeps them all straight. Best friends, though. Way to go, mate! Mind if I give your ex a go since you're not interested?"

R.J. grabbed the front of Jason's shirt. "Just what was that?" he asked his eyes dark in anger.

"I was just saying if you aren't with Alexa anymore, perhaps I'd ask her out," Jason said hastily. "That's all."

"I am still with her," R.J. said coldly.

"R.J.," Julie said coming up behind them. "Everything okay?"

"Fine," R.J. said tightly. "Hi Jules," he said, his face relaxing a bit. "Er... Professor Malfoy, sorry."

Julie smiled. "It's going to take some getting used to for me too. You boys better sit down. The feast is about to begin."

"Right," R.J. glared at his so called friends one more time then looked down the table where Alexa and Saffron were sitting. Saffron was talking to another girl and Alexa had been staring in his direction. When he caught her gaze, she turned red and snapped her eyes to the front of the Great Hall.

Julie started walking back to the staff table and paused for a moment to say hello to her sister and Alexa. "Nice badge, Miss Potter," Julie said winking at Saffron.

"Thanks Jules," Saffron forced a smile on her face. "I've already had to take away points."

"And loved every minute of it, I'm sure," Julie said with a laugh.

"I guess," Saffron shrugged. "This really hasn't been the best first day of the year."

"I wish I had time to talk," Julie said apologetically. "But I should get back. I'll try and catch up after the feast, okay?"

Saffron nodded as she sat down next to her friend. "Okay Lex?" she asked, squeezing her friend's hand supportively.

"I wish I didn't have to be here," Alexa whispered back. "I just want to go upstairs and go to bed."

"It's okay," Saffron said. "We'll get through this and I'm going to make whoever started this pay." she glared over at Christina who was studiously ignoring the Gryffindor table.

Alexa nodded and tried to concentrate of the headmaster's welcoming speech. The first years were then led into the hall and to Alexa's dismay; the sorting seemed to go on for ages. Dumbledore stood up again to make another announcement about how this was going to be his last year as headmaster.

This was met with gasps of surprise and dismay from many, as well as whispers of speculation as to who the new Headmaster would be.

"And one last announcement," Dumbledore said. "We have a new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor this year. Please welcome Professor Julie Malfoy."

Saffron forgot momentarily about everything that had happened today as she clapped and whistled enthusiastically for her sister.

"Man she's hot," Jason whispered down the table.

"She's married you dolt," Saffron snorted. "And she's my sister."

"Married or not, she's still hot," Jason said letting out a wolf-whistle.

"Shut the hell up," R.J. glowered at him. "I'm going to pound you when we get back to the dorms."

For the first time that he'd been a student at Hogwarts, R.J. barely ate a thing. He only picked at his food and he kept stealing glimpses at Alexa. When the feast was over, R.J. decided to take his chances and he moved through the crowd toward his girlfriend.

"I have to go and make sure the first years know where to go," Saffron was saying apologetically to Alexa. "But I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I'll meet you in the dorm," Alexa said softly. "Thanks Saffy."

Saffron smiled and squeezed her hand before walking away.

"Hi," R.J. said softly touching Alexa's shoulder.

Nowhere to Run:

When Harry is framed for Arthur Weasley's murder, Hermione vows to stand by her friend no matter what- despite the fact that her boyfriend, Ron, believes Harry to be guilty.

Her loyalty could cause her to lose everything, but she only has one goal---protecting Harry. Secrets, lies and deception play a big part as Ginny Weasley sets into motion a plan that could change everyone's lives forever. H/Hr with R/LL and D/G