Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Sorry again for the later update- we're being interviewed for Miscard's Harmony podcast and had some troubles getting it all started up.

For those of you who like the Hogwarts crew- this whole chapter has plenty of that plus there's a flashback to the Hillsdale time before H/Hr got together ;)

As always please let us know what you think!

The rest of the party passed by without incident. Caroline opened her presents with Katie and Mia on either side. And Katie actually was civil to Mia. Little by little guests started to leave. Allison sent her in-laws and Maddie and Ethan off with baskets of food. Emma was fast asleep on the sofa, her head in Frankie's lap.

"What a great party," Frankie said, stroking Emma's hair.

"Even better than some of Alicia's old bashes?" Will asked teasingly.

Frankie scowled. "Don't mention that name around me."

"Uncle Will," Caroline came into the room with her toy magic carpet. "Want to go for a ride with me in the backyard?"

"Aren't you knackered?" Will asked her.

Caroline shook her head. "Not right now."

"Maybe just for a little while then," Will said standing up. "You know I never can turn you down, Princess."

Caroline blushed. "This was my favourite birthday," she said shyly once she'd put her little cloak on and they were outside.

"Turning six is a big deal," Will said following her to the middle of the yard. "And you got some really nice presents too."

"Well you came as Aladdin for me," Caroline said, getting onto her carpet.

"Aye," Will said smiling as the carpet rose about a foot off the ground. "And I was happy to do it, Caroline."

Caroline smiled happily as Will got on behind her. "I'm glad you're my uncle." she said, still blushing.

"And I'm really happy you're my niece," Will said mussing her hair.

Caroline giggled. "Now we really are like Aladdin and Jasmine!" she said as they began to float around the backyard.

Allison and Frankie watched from the kitchen window. "That is the sweetest thing in the world," Frankie said tilting her head and smiling.

"Will is amazing," Allison agreed. "He's so good with the girls and Caroline adores him. He was so sweet to dress up for her today."

"He is pretty great, isn't he?" Frankie said dreamily.

"You and Will planning on having some Will Juniors?" Jon asked teasingly.

"Not yet," Frankie said. "But I think I'm starting to change my mind about waiting so long."

Allison was so surprised she nearly dropped the stack of plates she was carrying.

"Really?" Allison asked steadying herself.

"Possibly," Frankie laughed at her sister.

"I happen to think you would be a great mum," Allison said. "Caroline and Em are crazy about you."

"Thanks Allie," Frankie replied. "It's so weird- a year ago I would have been running away from this sort of conversation. I never thought I would be married, much less talking about having a child."

"And look at you now," Allison said grinning at her.

"All grown up and domesticated," Jon teased his sister in law.

"Just like you guys," Frankie said. "Well, Allie's grown up anyway."

"Hey!" Jon pretended to be offended.

"He may be a kid, but he's my big kid," Allison said putting her arms around her husband.

"This one is completely out," Frankie said, stroking Emma's cheek.

"I think the birthday girl needs to come in too," Allison said. "It's getting late."

"I'll go and get her," Jon offered.

"No need," Will said, coming in with Caroline on his back. "It's getting really chilly so we came back in."

"Time to get ready for bed Angel Girl," Jon said.

"But I'm not sleepy," Caroline protested right before yawning.

"How about you go get ready for bed and I'll come read you a story?" Will offered.

"That's really sweet of you Will," Allison said. "But I know you and Frankie wanted to get home..."

"We've got time," Will said. "Right Frankie?"

"Sure," Frankie said nodding.

"Yay," Caroline said, sliding down from his back. "I'll go get my pyjamas on."

"And I think Allie and I will go and put Emma down," Jon said taking Emma from Frankie. Emma opened her eyes. "Sleepy, Daddy."

"I know baby," Jon said, kissing her forehead. "Come on little mermaid, say good night to Aunt Frack."

"Night Emma," Frankie said squeezing the little girl's hand.

"I know how she feels," Allison said following Jon to the nursery. "I'm right knackered too. I say after Frankie and Will leave we just finish cleaning up tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good to me," Jon replied. "I have tomorrow free to stay at home."

Allison pulled out Emma's pyjamas from the dresser.

"I still can't believe Caroline is six Jon," she said shaking her head. "My little baby is six years old."

"I know," Jon said, carefully pulling the mermaid costume off his youngest daughter. "Seems like yesterday we were bringing her home for the first time."

"They're both growing up so fast," Allison said handing Jon the pyjamas.

"Too fast," Jon agreed. "Wish we could stop them somehow."

"We could always have another one," Allison said.

"Would you want that Al?" Jon asked, turning around to look at his wife. "I thought you only wanted us to have two."

"I've just been thinking about it more lately," Allison said. "Do you not want us to have another baby?"

"It's not that I wouldn't want to have another baby," Jon was uncharacteristically serious. "But if we did... we'd really have to tighten things up. I mean, you're not working, but we're living comfortably on what I do. Another kid would really be a big expense for us."

Allison nodded. "And you're worried about something happening like it did with Emma too, aren't you?"

"A little," Jon confessed. "I almost lost you Al. I don't know what I'd do if that happened."

"You won't lose me," Allison said softly. Jon turned back around and finished changing Emma then tucking her into her new bed. "Jon..."

"I think about that every day," Jon said quietly. "How I'm so lucky to have you..."

"I made it through and Lizzy said that if we wanted to have another baby, we could," Allison said. "What happened before was just..."

"It was a close call," Jon finished. "Too close Allie."

Allison took his hand and led him out of Emma's room. They could hear Will and Frankie in Caroline's bedroom reading her a story.

Allison closed their bedroom door. "Do you remember those weekends we'd spend in that flat above your uncle's shop when I was still in school?" she asked him. "We used to talk about having a big family, Jon."

"We were teenagers," Jon pointed out.

"Don't you want to try for a little boy?" she asked smiling at him.

"Al if you got pregnant again I'd be delighted, of course." Jon replied. "But I'm happy with our two daughters."

Allison hugged him. "I think about what we almost lost when Emma was born too, Jon. Everyday I see those two little girls, I'm so grateful that I'm here with you and to watch them grow up."

"No one is more grateful than me," Jon gave his wife a kiss.

Allison rested her head on his chest. "I've been thinking about this for awhile now, I just didn't know how to bring it up to you. I know how scared you were, Jon."

"I didn't know you really wanted more children," Jon stroked her hair back.

"I just see Josh and Lizzy with the triplets and Chi's twins and I just started thinking about it again," she said softly. "And those talks we used to have in the old flat about having enough for a Quidditch team. Of course, I don't want that many..."

Jon smiled. "How about a little compromise then?" he asked. "We can try, and if you get pregnant, we'll take every precaution and every means necessary to make sure you and the baby are okay."

"Really?" she asked hopefully. "I know money will be tight, but I could start helping mum out at the studio, not as a dancer, of course, but I could help her keep the books and....I probably need to slow down."

"If it makes you happy, then this is what I want to do," Jon replied.

"Only if you want it too," she said looking up at him. "And we can talk to Lizzy about it too."

"That sounds good," Jon gave her a kiss.

Frankie knocked on the bedroom door. "Allie? Will and I are going to go. Caroline's out like a light."

"Okay," Allison said, opening it. "Thank you both so much for everything you did today."

"It's not every little kid I'd do this for," Will said smiling at her. "She's really great, Allie. You and Jon should be proud."

"We are," Allison smiled back. "And thank you again for dressing up for her. You really made her day Will."

"Saved me from having to do it," Jon said shaking Will's hand. "Thanks mate."

"Anytime," Will laughed. "Well maybe not anytime... but you know what I mean."

"We do," Jon said. "And we appreciate it. Caroline did too."

"We'll see you both soon," Frankie hugged her sister.

"Thanks again you guys," Allison said watching as Will and Frankie disapparated. She looked impishly at her husband. "So....the girls are asleep..."

"And we were talking about trying..." Jon said slyly.

"No time like the present," Allison said moving closer. "You know to get started, I mean."

"I like the way you think Mrs. Weasley," Jon said, picking her up and carrying her to the bed.

*** *** ***

Saffron had received the letter from her grandmother during lunch and had forgotten about it as they'd had quite the busy day. She'd almost been asleep when she thought of it in her bag and had brought it downstairs to read by the fire.

Part of her wished she'd kept it until the next day as Elinore had sent her several Muggle snapshots of Saffron and Robert taken over the years. Seeing her happy, vibrant grandfather brought a fresh wave of grief over her and she began to sob, muffling the sound in her sleeve.

With everything that had been going on with the team, Andrew had neglected much of his studies. Unfortunately, he'd had to do makeup work for McGonagall and Snape. Two of those assignments were due tomorrow morning and he hadn't done anything on them yet. He snuck out of the room carrying his books, a quill and some parchment.

Saffron was so wrapped up in her memories that she didn't hear Andrew approaching until he was standing over her.

"You studying late too?" he asked with a laugh that died on his lips when he saw her tear-stained face. "Saffron?"

"What are you doing up?" she asked, her voice gone husky from crying.

"I had some assignments to work on," he replied sitting down. "Are you okay, Saf?"

She shook her head, wiping her eyes in embarrassment.

Andrew set his books and papers aside. "Is it your family?"

"My grandfather," Saffron said quietly. "He died over the summer and I really miss him."

"R.J. mentioned that," Andrew said. "He said you two were really tight."

"Yeah," Saffron stared at the fire. "My grandma just sent me these pictures and it brought back a lot of memories."

"Can I see them?" Andrew asked.

"If you want to," Saffron handed him the photographs.

Andrew smiled as he looked at the first photo. "I take it this adorable little girl is you?" he asked.

"Yes," Saffron replied. "That was taken the first time we ever went to Brighton."

"How old were you here?" Andrew asked. "Four? Five?"

"Four," Saffron nodded, not realising she was leaning against him.

"That bucket is nearly as big as you," Andrew said laughing.

"I can't believe that was over ten years ago already," Saffron said as he went onto the next picture.

The next picture was of a five-year old Saffron sleeping with her head on Robert's shoulder.

"That's really cute," Andrew said. "I think R.J. told me he got you into that Muggle sport golfing?"

Saffron smiled. "There's a picture in there of him teaching me how to swing the club. That was the one that really set me off."

"I've played that a few times myself," Andrew told her. "Not many though."

"My Grandpa really loved to play," Saffron said looking wistfully at the photo.

"I can tell," Andrew said. "I'm really sorry Saf. I wish there was something I could do for you."

"I really thought I was doing okay," Saffron said as a tear fell down her cheek. "But looking at these photos just brought it all back. I'm never going to talk to him again."

Andrew slid an arm around her as she began to cry again.

"I miss him so much," Saffron said sobbing into Andrew's shirt.

"I'm sorry Saf," Andrew wasn't exactly sure what to do so he ran his hand gently through her hair.

Saffron was embarrassed to be crying in front of Andrew like this. Not only was he her friend, he was also her team mate. But, try as she might, she couldn't stop crying and it felt so nice to be comforted like this.

"Shhhh...." he said in as soothing a voice as he could. "It hasn't been that long Saf. You're bound to have relapses like this."

Saffron lifted her head off his shoulder to look at him.

"Are you okay?" he asked, feeling rather dumb. He couldn't help but notice just how close she was, and at this distance, she was even prettier.

"I feel safe," she said looking earnestly at him. "With you, I mean."

"You do?" Andrew asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

"And you make me feel better," she said softly. "You've made me laugh when I didn't feel much like laughing."

"I'm glad I was good for something then," he said with a slightly crooked grin.

Saffron smiled. "You were. You've been a great friend to me, Andrew."

"You're a great girl Saf," he said honestly.

"Even when I'm sobbing like a crazy person?" she asked wiping at her eyes.

"Sure," he teased, pulling her a bit closer. Even though she was with that dolt of a Ravenclaw, he still liked her. "You're especially cute like that."

"Right," Saffron said with a slight laugh. "The red eyes will really get the boys a running."

"You still look good to me Saf," Andrew told her.

"Red eyes and all?" Saffron asked. Her stomach did little flips as Andrew leaned in closer.

"Red eyes and all..." he whispered. He was about to kiss her- and part of him was screaming to stop, that this was another bloke's girlfriend, but she also seemed to be leaning in as well. Andrew closed his eyes and a moment later, his lips touched hers.

Saffron relaxed against him giving into the kiss. She didn't really know how to describe how being like this with him was making her feel. She knew that she didn't want him to stop.

Andrew's hand slid from her hair to her cheek as he deepened the kiss, revelling in just how good Saffron was making him feel at the moment.

"Andrew," she said in between kisses. "What are we doing?"

"I don't know," he said, pulling her on top of him. "But you're amazing Saf..."

Saffron smiled at him before crashing her lips to his again.

She was definitely passionate, Andrew thought, his eyes closing as he ran his hands up and down her back.

This was definitely different from anything she'd ever done with Peter, Saffron thought fleetingly as Andrew gently lay her down on the sofa. He trailed kisses down her cheek and neck. Peter, she thought guiltily.

With every ounce of willpower she could muster, she pushed Andrew away.

"Whoa," he said, his breath coming fast. "What's wrong?"

"We can't do this," she said trying to catch her own breath.

Andrew wanted to ask why, but he already knew the answer.

"I'm sorry," she said sitting up on the sofa.

"I shouldn't have," Andrew began. "But I've been wanting to do that for ages."

Saffron wanted to tell him that she felt the same, but she'd already betrayed Peter enough tonight.

"It's late," she said instead blindly gathering up her photos and the letter from her grandmother. "You should get back to studying."

"Saf I'm sorry," Andrew apologised. "I don't want to ruin our friendship over this."

"We're fine," Saffron said not looking at him. "Good night, Andrew."

"Night Saf," he said, feeling a bit dejected.

After she'd left, Andrew tried to work on his assignments, but he couldn't think of anything but that kiss. Giving up on getting anything done, Andrew grabbed his belongings and ran up to his room.

R.J. hadn't been able to sleep either. He'd gotten quite used to having Alexa by his side and being without her was becoming quite a challenge.

"You still up mate?" Andrew asked, tossing his books onto his bed.

"Can't sleep," R.J. said tossing his Quidditch magazine aside. "You get your work done?"

"Not really," Andrew replied.

"I'm trying to sleep you know," Jason said throwing a pillow at R.J..

"Good luck with that," R.J. said throwing it back at him.

"Then go to sleep," Andrew retorted. "Wet dreams and all..."

"Sod off Kirke," Jason shot back. "I don't want to hear more of R.J. whining over his girl."

"Then we won't talk to you," Andrew replied yanking Jason's bed hangings shut.

"Remind me why we're mates with him?" R.J. asked.

Andrew shook his head. "R.J. can I ask you something?"

"What's up?" R.J. asked.

Andrew told him about Saffron's letter and them talking and what had happened afterwards. "And then she got all freaked out and ran upstairs."

R.J. looked thoughtfully at his friend. Normally, he'd make a smart remark, but this wasn't just any girl they were talking about. This was Saffron. "She feels guilty about Peter, I imagine."

"That bloke is an idiot," Andrew replied. "I mean, you and Alexa saw him with those other girls the other day, and he's got Saffron as his girlfriend. I just don't get it mate."

"Neither do I," R.J. agreed. "But he's definitely got Saffy snowed."

"I don't want her to get hurt," Andrew said, feeling protective.

"I'll try and talk to her if you want," R.J. offered.

"You will?" Andrew asked.

"Sure," R.J. said nodding. "You really fancy Saffy, don't you?"

"She's just different from other girls," Andrew replied. "She's the only girl that can put you in your place," he added with a grin.

"Don't I know it," R.J. said with a laugh.

"I don't want to be the cause of her breaking up," Andrew said seriously. "She just has to see what a wanker that bloke is."

"There's a Hogsmeade weekend coming up," R.J. said. "Maybe the wanker will mess up then. And this time, Lex and I get to go. I still wish I could find who the nark was."

"If I hear anything from any of the other guys I'll let you know," Andrew said.

"Like anyone's going to tell you," Jason chimed in, his voice muffled by the closed curtains.

"Better not have been you," R.J. threatened.

Jason pulled back the curtains. "It wasn't me, but I think it's fairly obvious who it was, Junior."

"She hasn't said a bloody thing to me in months," R.J. retorted.

"And you don't think she'd try something like that?" Jason asked sarcastically. "Since your relationship ended so well and all."

"If she did, Saffron better not find out about it," Andrew moved to his own bed and sat back.

"Think about it," Jason said sitting on the edge of R.J.'s bed. "No Gryffindor would have done it. We all know how important the match against Hufflepuff was. And who in this school has a grudge against not only you, but Alexa?"

"It's a good point," R.J. said. "But at this point, I don't know what I could do about it without framing myself, Lex or Saf."

"Can't blame you for going after her though," Jason said. "She is pretty hot."

"Christina?" R.J. rolled his eyes. "She's cute but she's annoying as hell after awhile."

"Didn't stop you from shagging her though, did it?" Jason asked dryly.

"Fuck off," R.J. snapped.

"Since McGonagall stopped your little sleepovers, you going to try and shag the virgin on winter hols?" Jason asked.

Andrew gave Jason a dirty look. "You're a real asshole you know."

Jason ignored him. "Doesn't matter though, does it? By this time next year, the famous Quidditch player will have girls gagging for it and little Alexa will still be here."

"Your point is?" R.J. asked furiously.

"Just making an observation," Jason said. "You're not really going to stay together with her after you graduate, are you?"

"I love her," R.J. snapped. "You don't love anyone but yourself so how the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Well, I'll make sure to send you an owl to say 'I told you so'," Jason said standing up and walking back over to his bed.

"Go to hell," Andrew snapped as Jason yanked the hangings back around his bed. "What a wanker."

"Too right," R.J. said angrily.

"Alexa's a great girl," Andrew said sincerely. "I'm glad you have her R.J.."

"She is," R.J. said relaxing just thinking about her. "And we'll be together this time next year. And I'll send Jason an owl rubbing it in his face."

"Aye," Andrew grinned. "I'll help you write it."

"We better get some sleep," R.J. said. "We have to get you and Saffron together tomorrow."

"Man she's great," Andrew said, thinking about their heated snog on the sofa downstairs.

"Night Kirke," R.J. said shaking his head before turning off the bedside light.

"Night Weasley," Jason mimicked in a falsetto tone. "Night Kirke."

"Night wanker," R.J. and Andrew said in unison.

*** *** ***

Mum:

I wish I could talk to you in person. This is one of those times when I wish I could just ring you and hear your voice and you could tell me what to do. I've made such a mess of things. Things with Peter aren't as great as they used to be and it doesn't help lately that I've been having these feelings for R.J.'s best mate Andrew. He makes me laugh and we always have such a great time together.

I feel like I can tell him anything. Does that make sense? I've always known Andrew, but I've never known him, you know? This doesn't make sense. But aren't you the one who always tells me love doesn't make sense. I bet you and Daddy never had this much trouble.

I miss you! Love to Dad!

Love,

Saffy

Hermione was shaking her head as her husband came in with a mug of tea for each of them. "What's that?" he asked.

"From Saffron," Hermione replied. "She doesn't seem to think you and I had trouble with our relationship."

"Good thing she didn't know us back at Hillsdale," Harry said with a laugh.

"Exactly," Hermione said with a grin. "There were times when I wanted to smack you upside the head and other times I just wanted you to kiss me and sweep me off my feet."

"By the time I finally did I'm surprised you were still hanging around," Harry teased.

***

Hermione waited until her parents and Lavender were asleep before grabbing a jumper and throwing on her shoes. Harry had slipped her a note on the way out of the cafeteria asking her to meet him tonight at just past midnight. They hadn't been able to practise today because apparently his uncle had him running around on errands .She hoped he was in a better mood than he'd been in yesterday. It had took everything she had not to ask him if it was his time of the month.

"Hey," he said as she slid inside the ballroom. "I'm glad you were able to make it."

"I'm a little late," she said ready to head him off before he went on to remind her how important this was. "But I had to wait until my parents went to sleep and my dad was..."

"It's fine," Harry replied brusquely. "Let's just get to practising."

"Why are we meeting here and not in the studio?" Hermione asked.

"Just thought it might give you a feel for what dancing at the Sheldrake will be like," Harry replied. "We're going to have to do this without music. If Vernon caught wind of me being in here I'd get sacked on the spot."

"Why chance it?" Hermione asked walking toward him.

"Because I thought you might like to see what it's like dancing in a real ballroom," Harry stared at her. "Did I not just say that?"

Hermione glared at him. "Fine. Pardon me for wanting to carry on a conversation. Let's get this over with."

Harry wanted to kick himself for being such an arse again. "On a scale of one to ten, how would you say you know the dance by now?" he asked.

"About a six," she said thoughtfully. "I'm still having a problem with that turn where you spin me out and then bring me back. It feels clumsy."

"All right, we'll work on that first," Harry said in a patient tone.

They did the footwork before the move and Hermione then grasped Harry's hand as he spun her out. She stumbled a bit, cursing under her breath.

"Let's do it again," Harry said in the same tone.

"Okay," Hermione said nodding. This time she did the spinout perfectly, but when Harry pulled her to him, she couldn't help but laugh at the serious look on his face. "I'm sorry."

"We really need to concentrate here," Harry said coolly.

"Okay," Hermione said trying to stifle her laughter. Again, Harry spun her out and again he pulled her back, but Hermione couldn't stop laughing.

Part of Harry wanted to laugh with her and the other half wanted to shake her. "Could you get a grip?" he snapped.

"I'm sorry," she said her laughter fading away. "You just looked so serious. Look, I know this is a big deal and we're working really hard, but would it kill you to look like you're enjoying it? I mean, I know I'm not someone you'd normally choose to spend your time with..."

"How would you know?" he asked in a sardonic tone. "You don't know anything about me."

"I know that you keep treating me like something you scraped off your shoe," she shot back. "This isn't exactly fun for me either, you know."

"Then why are you doing it?" he retorted.

"I don't know!" she said angrily turning on her heel. Harry caught her hand and pulled her to him, just like the dance.

"There," he said after a moment. "You got it..."

"G-got what?" she stammered feeling light headed.

"The step," he replied. "That's exactly how you should do it." he was still holding her close.

Hermione's eyes brightened. "We did it!" She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly. "We did it!"

Harry hugged her back without realising it, closing his eyes and burying his nose in her hair- it smelled like cinnamon and vanilla and some other spice he couldn't put his finger on. It was different yet so her.

"I never thought I'd get it," she said with a laugh.

"Good job," he congratulated her, a smile tugging at his lips.

"You're smiling at me," she said. "I didn't even know you had teeth."

"Funny," he replied. "Come on, let's do it again."

"Okay," she said smiling at him. "I'll try and not laugh this time."

"Good," he said simply, moving them back into position.

Hermione again performed the move perfectly and felt that same flip in her stomach as Harry pulled her to him. "It's different without music," she said trying to not look into his eyes.

"Yeah I know," he said. "I hate dancing without music. Feels like something's missing from it all, you know?"

She nodded. "But I must admit, it's nice being in this room without your cousin stepping on my feet and breathing on my neck."

Harry shook his head and almost smiled. "I don't know how you put up with that."

"I just close my eyes and try to pretend I'm somewhere else or with someone else," she said blushing.

"Oh yeah?" Harry asked curiously. "Like who?" he wished she would say him but he knew that was a real shot in the dark.

Hermione nearly told him that she pictured dancing with him, but she wasn't about to tell him that. "Just someone who would dance with me and make me feel like I was floating on air..."

Harry nodded. "We'd all like a partner like that..."

"Did you ever have someone like that?" she asked.

"Not yet," he answered, dipping her back, his eyes dropping to the swell of her breasts and then skipping back up to her face. "Haven't really had the time..."

"Neither have I," she said as he pulled her back up.

Harry stared at her for a long moment, leaning in ever so slightly.

"Why...why are you looking at me like that?" she whispered.

Harry caught himself just in time. "Just trying something new," he lied.

"Oh," Hermione said, feeling like a fool for thinking he might have kissed her. She was silent as Harry led her through the dance once more.

"Good," he praised her. "I think you've got it."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," he offered her another rare smile before pulling back.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Harry shrugged.

"When I see you in the ballroom, why don't you ever--" she started to ask.

"Ever what?" he prompted.

"Ever ask me to dance?" she asked. "I've seen you dance with other guests and as far as your uncle knows, I'm just another guest."

Harry looked at her for a long moment. "I asked you to dance in the employee disco," he said finally.

"That was more about putting me in my place, wasn't it?" Hermione asked him. "You didn't think I belonged."

"You looked bored," Harry replied. "So I asked you to dance."

"I was about to leave when you came up to me," she reminded him.

"Why were you going to leave?" he asked. "You'd just gotten there with Neville."

"I felt out of place," she admitted, which was half-true. She wasn't going to tell him that she'd felt like an idiot in front of him.

Harry stared at her again before nodding. "Well next time I see you in the ballroom I'll ask you to dance," he said, although he wanted nothing more than to pull her into the darkened back room and show her a different sort of dance. Despite her outward appearance, Harry could sense a passion that sparked inside her when they were dancing together and she was appearing increasingly in his thoughts when they were apart.

"What kind of dance would we do?" she asked him, wondering if that was a promise he would or could keep. "Certainly not this one. Perhaps a waltz?"

"Something like that," Harry said. "We'd better call it a night. I don't want to draw attention in here."

"Oh," Hermione said, not yet ready to leave.

"What time did you want to meet tomorrow in the dance studio?" Harry asked. "I'm free anytime after half past four."

"That's fine," Hermione said grabbing her jumper from the floor. "I'll see you..."

"Wait," Harry said, following her out. "Will you be all right walking back by yourself?"

"I'm fine," she said not looking back. "You've already spent enough time with me."

"Why do you say that?" Harry was curious enough to follow her down the path.

"You always act like you can't stand to be around me," she said still looking straight ahead. "And then we have moments like we did back there and you're actually an okay person, but then you..."

"Moments?" Harry asked, pulling on her arm. "Hermione--"

"What?" she asked. "You don't like me. You've made that quite clear. I get it. Okay?"

"I don't not like you," Harry said before he could stop himself.

Hermione started to say something but suddenly Harry pulled her behind a cabin.

"What are you--?" she started to ask, but he put his hand over her mouth.

"I heard something..." he whispered, pulling her tight against him.

Ginny Weasley was walking toward the employee cabins and was humming to herself as she made her way along the path. Harry held Hermione praying that neither of them made a noise. The last thing he needed was Ginny blabbing about him being out with Hermione.

"Just stay quiet," he breathed, his lips touching her ear. "Just until she's gone..."

Hermione nodded wordlessly. At the moment, she could care less if this person took her sweet time getting to wherever it was she was going. Harry's breath was warm on her neck and she felt as if her insides were going haywire at being this close to him.

He unconsciously rubbed his hands over her back as he watched Ginny amble past them casually. Lord, Hermione smelled good- and having her body pressed against his wasn't doing much for his self control.

Hermione searched his face. He was looking at her like he had in the ballroom. "Is she gone?" she whispered.

"What?" he asked, shaking his head as if in a daze. "Um... yeah... she's gone."

"Did she see us?" Hermione asked. Harry was still holding on to her.

"I don't think so," Harry replied. "That's a good thing. Steer clear of her if you can."

"Okay," she said softly. "Harry, I--"

"What?" he asked just as softly.

"I'm sorry for getting angry before," Hermione said looking into his green eyes. "We've just been putting a lot of time and effort into this and I guess I just let it get to me..."

"It's okay," Harry replied. "I've been really tense lately- due to Cho being pregnant, and all this sneaking around... believe it or not, I'm really not such an arse... most of the time."

"I like the parts when you're not such an arse," she said grinning impishly at him.

Harry grinned back. "I'll be more patient from here on out okay?" he asked, feeling better than he had in ages.

"Okay," she said. "I could meet you in the studio after dinner, if you'd like. My cousin is going for a walk with that awful Draco Malfoy and I could just tell my parents I'm tagging along."

"That'll work," Harry said. "Gives us more time to get this down pat." he let her go but gripped her hand. "Come on, let me walk you back."

"I'd like that," Hermione said.

"Okay," Harry smiled, leading her away.

***

"I have to know," Hermione said to her husband. "Did you want to kiss me that night?"

"More than you know," Harry chuckled. "I had to stop myself every time I touched you."

"And it was you I pictured in my head when I was dancing with your cousin," Hermione admitted. "But you probably knew that already."

"I guessed," Harry kissed under her ear.

"You and your healthy ego," she said laughing.

"You're the one who keeps feeding it..." Harry said, kissing her neck this time.

"It is well-deserved," she said setting Saffron's letter aside so her hands would be free to explore. "I seem to remember a certain someone who was going to go play Quidditch with Ron and Neville...have those plans changed?"

"Quidditch?" Harry asked. "I know not of these plans... the only thing on my mind is my wife..."

"Good answer," she said moving closer to him. "How about we take this upstairs then?"

"One of these days I'm going to make you carry me," Harry teased, picking her up.

"You like doing this too much," she said laughing. "I don't want to deny you, Harry."

"I guess you're right," Harry gave her a full kiss.

"You guess?" she asked pulling away.

"You're right as always," Harry corrected, his eyes twinkling impishly.

"The magic words," Hermione said. "Come on, old man. Can't you go any faster?"

"Who are you calling old?" Harry squeezed her side with his fingers.

"You," she said giggling.

"Need I remind you that you're older than me?" Harry asked.

"Age is nothing but a number," she said hitting him on the back.

"Want me to drop you?" Harry asked.

"You wouldn't dare!" she challenged.

Harry let her slip before catching her again. "Oops," he teased.

"Not funny!" she said hitting again on the back. "You might not get any if you keep this up..."

"You can't resist me," Harry boasted.

"I think you have that the other way around," she said.

"Maybe we can't resist each other," Harry said, kicking the door open.

"That's probably true," she said before kissing him.

*** *** ***

"Good practise," RJ said approvingly to his team. "Saf I've never seen anyone catch the snitch so fast."

"What?" Saffron jumped as RJ's voice jerked her from her thoughts. "Oh... thanks."

"We don't have another match until after Christmas hols, RJ," Imelda said resting her broom on her shoulder. "Why did you want to---?"

"Imelda, remember what lesson number one was?" RJ asked impatiently.

"Never question the captain?" Imelda guessed.

"Right," RJ nodded. "And that's the most important rule."

Andrew snorted to keep back his laughter.

"Sorry," Imelda said quietly. "Won't happen again."

"Okay, we have a few minutes left," RJ said looking at his watch. "I think we should pair up---Imelda you can work with me....Saf, you go with Andrew---"

"What?" Saffron asked.

"Pair up with Andrew," RJ said, wishing he could send his friends a wicked grin. "We're going to scrimmage for a few minutes."

Saffron paled. "RJ, I really think---"

"Imelda, remind our dear Miss Potter what rule number one was," RJ interjected.

"There's no need," Saffron said glaring at him. "You know you really are on the biggest power trip I've ever seen."

"That's why I'm the captain," RJ said in an innocent tone.

"And a damn good captain at that," Andrew said, knowing what RJ was doing.

"Fine," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "I'll work with Andrew."

"It's not like I'm asking you for the moon," RJ teased.

Saffron wordlessly drifted past RJ and Andrew quickened his step to catch up to her. "So---what do you think we should work on first?" he asked conversationally.

"I don't know," she said, not really sure of what to say to him. Saffron was ashamed of the way she had been all over him a few nights ago and at the same time, hated and loved the way her body was reacting to his nearness.

Andrew smiled shyly at her. "I'm the one who needs all the work..."

"You don't need any work," she said. "You're a great Chaser, Andrew."

"I don't know about that," Andrew said shaking his head. "My head really wasn't in the practise today. I was thinking about---"

"We should really get up in the air," Saffron interrupted.

"We should talk about it," Andrew said putting his hand on her arm. "What happened between us..."

"There's nothing to talk about," she said softly.

"I know you're with that bloke," Andrew said. "But what if...what if he's not the one for you...."

"I'm only fifteen, I'm not going to find my life mate quite yet," Saffron couldn't meet his eyes.

"I know you felt something the other night," Andrew said softly.

"Don't," she said, finally looking up into his gaze.

"Don't what?" Andrew asked.

"Don't get so close," she said. "Andrew--"

"What are you afraid of?" he asked her softly.

"I'm not afraid of anything," Saffron crossed her arms. "I'm with Peter, all right? I can't do this to him."

He wanted to tell her that her loyalty was misplaced, but for some reason he couldn't bring himself to say the words. "I just want you to be happy, Saffron."

Why did he have to be so sweet, she wondered. "I'm all right," she said. "Thanks for being concerned but things couldn't be better lately." Saffron was lying through her teeth and she had the feeling Andrew knew it.

"Between you and Peter?" Andrew asked.

"Yes," Saffron tried to turn away.

"He makes you happy?" Andrew asked grabbing her arm.

"Why does it matter?" Saffron asked. "Yes!"

"Saffy!" someone called out from the distance. Andrew and Saffron both turned to see Peter walking toward them.

"Pete!" Saffron said pulling away from Andrew and bounding towards her boyfriend.

"How's my girl today?" Peter asked as she gave him a hug.

"Good," Saffron said. "We're just finishing up practise."

"I brought you some hot chocolate," Peter said handing her a thermos. He looked past his girlfriend to where Andrew Kirke stood watching them. "Hello, Kirke."

"Hi Peter," Andrew said politely. "How's everything?"

"Great now," Peter said giving Saffron a kiss that Andrew knew was meant for his benefit.

"Whoa..." Saffron blinked when they pulled apart. "Peter..."

"Come on, Saffy," Peter said winking at her. "I haven't seen you all day..."

"Maybe you should give her some warning before you do that," Andrew said before he could stop himself.

"And maybe YOU should mind your own business," Peter said coldly.

"It's fine," Saffron got between the two boys. "I was just surprised is all."

"I'll see you later, Saf," Andrew said wondering why someone so smart couldn't see through Peter.

"Bye," Saffron watched him head towards the locker rooms. She didn't notice Peter's glare in Andrew's direction. "Thanks for the hot chocolate- I thought you were tutoring late tonight."

"Change of plans," he said brushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I've always liked your hair like this ....up and windblown..."

"I must look a fright," Saffron grinned at him.

"You always look beautiful to me," Peter said smiling back at her. "Come on. Let's go find an empty classroom or something..."

"For a little while," Saffron agreed. "But I've got a big exam tomorrow I have to study for."

Andrew turned and watched as Saffron took Peter's hand and they headed toward the castle.

"How'd it go?" RJ asked. "You can thank me later---"

"She doesn't see what a jerk he is," Andrew said.

"She won't unless you tell her," RJ said.

"How many times have you and Alexa said something," Andrew replied as they went into the locker room. "And if she doesn't believe you two then why the hell should she believe me?"

"Lex says that it's probably something she needs to see for herself," RJ said quietly.

"Obviously," Andrew kicked at his locker.

"He's going to screw up eventually," RJ tried to reassure his friend.

"I may as well just forget about her," Andrew said gloomily. "She's all but said that kissing me the other night was a big mistake."

"Did you see the look on her face when I suggested the two of you practising together?" RJ asked. "She's confused, mate. She doesn't know what to do. For some reason, she feels loyalty to this bloke. But she knows deep down that you're the right one for her."

"Whatever," Andrew tossed his gloves into the locker.

"You're coming home with me for the hols," RJ pointed out. "And you'll see her a lot more than Petey will."

"She'll probably avoid us like the plague," Andrew dressed in his jeans and shirt.

"She can't," RJ said his mind already thinking of ways to get them together.

"I've got a Divination exam tomorrow," Andrew said. "I've got to go predict 5 ways to die before nine am."

"Make a move on Harry Potter's baby daughter should be on the top of the list," RJ joked.

"Gee that's a comforting thought," Andrew said but it made him smile.

"Let's go raid the kitchens before we get started," RJ said. "I'm starving."

"Now that sounds like a plan," Andrew agreed. "Thanks for trying tonight RJ."

"No problem," RJ said with a grin. "You and Saf can name your firstborn after me."

"You wish," Andrew said. "I don't even like your name."

"I'm not too crazy about my middle name," RJ said his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"Bilius?" Andrew smirked. "I wouldn't like it that much either."

"I don't know what my Nana was thinking when she gave my dad that middle name," RJ said. "Then again, she also named my Aunt Ginny---Ginevra..."

"I didn't know you had an Aunt Ginny," Andrew said.

"Yeah we never hear from her," RJ replied.

"Why?" Andrew asked as they left the locker room.

"It's a long story, but the gist of it is that she married Draco Malfoy who is like public enemy number one in our family," RJ explained. "And she pretty much disowned all of us and my nana can't talk about her without crying. She hates Saffy's parents too...and she's Julie's mother-in-law."

"That's crazy," Andrew shook his head. "Makes my family sound simple."

"With the Weasleys and the Potters nothing is ever simple," RJ said. "You'll see that for yourself soon enough."

"My dad says he used to play Quidditch with Harry Potter," Andrew told RJ.

"That should give you some extra points then," RJ said. "Uncle Harry doesn't much care for Peter..."

"Man if he knew about Peter cheating on Saffy he'd have his head." Andrew replied.

"And then some," RJ agreed.