Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks for the response to the last chapter! A little break from the Hogwarts crew as this one goes back to the Weasley family--namely, Allie and Jon and their kidlets. Enjoy and please review!

Allison awoke with a start. She looked at the clock on the bedside table. She was going to be late if she didn't get a move on. She reluctantly pulled back the covers and felt a sharp pang in her stomach as she stood up.

"Ooooh," she rubbed the spot. "Just settle down, baby..."

"Mummy!" Adam called out from his bedroom.

"Just a minute, Adam," Allison winced as she pushed herself off the bed.

Allison bit her bottom lip as she tried to think of what this could be. Jon came out of the bathroom, a towel draped over his head. "I've got Adam, Al."

Jon did not look at his wife as he walked past her. "Adam, Daddy's coming."

Adam sleepily rubbed at his eyes and shook his head. "No, Daddy. Want Mummy!"

"Mummy's in bed." Jon told him.

"Sleepy Mummy," Adam said as Jon lifted him out of his bed.

"That's right," Jon replied. "What's wrong, buddy?"

"Em," Adam replied.

"Emma?" Jon asked. "What did she do?"

Adam's face scrunched up in anger. "Woke me up."

Jon smiled. "Did she jump on you again?"

Adam nodded. "Mean Em!"

"I'll talk to her, buddy." Jon said, carrying Adam into his and Allison's bedroom.

"Mummy?" Adam asked looking at his mother. Allison was lying back down, hugging a pillow to her.

"You all right, Al?" Jon asked.

Allison nodded and slowly arose. The pain was gone. She smiled as she looked at her husband and son. "What's going on?"

"Emma woke him up early again," Jon said. "Jumped on top of him."

Adam squirmed in Jon's arms and he set his son down. Adam toddled over to the bed and Allison picked him up. "We'll talk to her, Adam."

"Kay," Adam said, grinning at his mother.

Allison grinned back at him. "How about breakfast, my little guy?"

"I want cereal," Adam told her.

Allison tickled his side. "Okay, then."

"I'll get the girls up," Jon told her.

"Mean old Em's already up," Adam said.

"Adam, don't say that about your sister," Allison chided him gently.

"She jumped on me," Adam pointed out.

"I know she did," Allison replied. "But she's still your sister."

Allison carried Adam into the kitchen while Jon went to get the girls. Allison stopped walking as she felt another sharp pang.

"Mummy?" Adam asked.

Allison set her son down. "Baby---go---go and get your daddy for me, okay?"

"Kay," Adam said, running for Emma and Caroline's bedroom.

Emma and Caroline were just getting out of bed when Adam grabbed his father. "Daddy! Mummy needs you! NOW!"

"What?" Jon asked. "Girls... stay here and watch your brother."

Caroline's eyes grew large. "What? Daddy---"

"Just stay here," Jon told her, leaving the bedroom.

Allison was leaning against the wall clutching her stomach when Jon found her just outside the kitchen.

"Allie?" Jon asked leaning down.

Allison's face was pale and a trickle of sweat rolled down her neck. "The baby," she said. "It hurts."

Jon squeezed her hand. "I'll get Lizzy. Okay?"

"I'll be all right in a minute," Allison said.

"Al---" Jon protested.

"I'll be fine," Allison said, a bit sharply. "I just... for a moment I wasn't sure. I'm just crampy."

"Can I get you anything?" Jon asked.

"Just get the kids their breakfast for me," she said. "I'm going to lie back down."

Jon stood up and offered her his hand. He wanted to get Lizzy here to make sure nothing was wrong, but Allison would probably blow a gasket if he did that.

"Thanks," Allison said as he helped her back to their bedroom. "Just ten minutes."

Jon kissed her on the forehead. "Get some rest."

Allison nodded and turned on her side.

Jon gave her one last look before he walked down the hall to Caroline and Emma's room.

Allison was only about four months along and was now just barely starting to show, but sometimes she felt like she was about eight and a half months.

She wondered if perhaps she was spreading herself too thin. She was working at the pub, of course, and she was still pitching in to help her mother with the accounting at the studio.

There was also taking care of her three children. Allison never regarded that as a problem or as a job, but it was a lot of work.

It was surreal to think that in a few months, there would be a fourth member of their brood. Instinctively, Allison placed her hand on her stomach.

She and Jon weren't sure if they wanted to know ahead of time what the gender of their newest family member was.

Allison had a feeling it was a boy though. She and Jon said it would even things out---two girls and two boys. Allison did not care as long as the baby was healthy and happy.

She felt a bit dizzy and closed her eyes, rubbing her hand comfortingly over her stomach.

In the other room, Jon was trying to calm his three children. "She's fine. Just needs some rest."

"I'll take her some juice," Caroline said worriedly.

"You have to get ready for school," Jon told her. "Your mum's fine, Caroline. Really."

Caroline bit her lower lip. "Can I bring her some water, then?"

"Yes," Jon said taking pity on his oldest daughter. "Em, Adam...let's get you downstairs for breakfast."

"Kay," Adam replied as Emma bounced on the bed.

"Emma," Jon said grabbing her and throwing her over his shoulder. "You are too much, my love."

Emma shrieked with laughter. "Daddy!"

Caroline followed them downstairs and hurried to get her mother a glass of water. She wanted to see for herself that everything was okay.

They were still getting things packed up for the move to the new house- a lot of things had been brought there already, but a few things remained.

Caroline grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water. She glanced over at her father and saw the worried expression on his face.

"Daddy I'm scared," she confessed.

"It's okay, baby," Jon said patting her shoulder.

"But what if she goes to sleep again?" Caroline asked.

"I don't think that will happen," Jon said giving her a hug.

"I hope not," Caroline hurried to her parents' bedroom

Caroline knocked gently on the door. "Mummy?"

"Come in, angel." Allison replied.

Caroline opened the door and stepped inside. "Hi," Caroline whispered. "I brought you some ice water."

"Thanks sweetheart," Allison said. "I could use something to drink."

Caroline handed her mother the drink. "How are you feeling?"

"Just a bit tired," Allison said. "You don't have to worry, Angel girl."

"Really?" Caroline asked doubtfully.

"I'll be all right," Allison reached for her daughter's hand.

Caroline squeezed her hand.

"You should go get yourself ready for school." Allison told her. "I'll be up in a few more minutes."

"I don't want to leave you," Caroline said quietly.

"I promise I'll be okay," Allison told her.

Caroline still looked uncertain and Allison remembered how scared her daughter had been when Allison had been pregnant with Adam. "It's just a little cramping," Allison tried to explain.

"Daddy can call Aunt Lizzy over, right?" Caroline asked.

"Yes, but this isn't anything to worry about," Allison reassured her.

"Promise?" Caroline asked.

Allison held out her pinky finger. "Promise."

Caroline managed a smile as she hooked her finger with her mother's.

"That's my girl," Allison said.

"I'll go make sure Emma gets ready," Caroline said.

Allison laughed. "Make sure her clothes match today."

Caroline smiled. "I will."

Allison gave her daughter one last hug before sending her off to her room. Allison was just closing her eyes when she heard another knock on the door. "Caroline, I'm fine...really."

"It's not Caroline," Lizzy called back.

Allison groaned. "He rang you?"

"He was worried," Lizzy said opening the door. "And given your history, I can't say as I blame him."

Allison rolled her eyes. "It's just a little cramping."

"Well, it can't hurt if I take a look, can it?" Lizzy said grinning at her best friend. "Don't be angry at him, Allie."

"I guess I'm not," Allison replied. "I just wish I could have a pregnancy where I'm not completely worried all the time. I haven't had that since Caroline."

Lizzy sat down on the edge of the bed. "So, you've been taking your vitamins, right?"

"Every day," Allison nodded.

"And when did you start having these pains?" Lizzy asked, as she took Allison's blood pressure.

"I had a couple, on and off this week," Allison said. "But they weren't sharp like this."

Lizzy nodded. "And have you felt dizzy or nauseous?"

"A little," Allison admitted.

"Your blood pressure is a lot higher than I would like to see," Lizzy commented.

"I'm just so busy," Allison said.

"Allie, what have you been doing?" Lizzy asked.

Allison sighed. "Helping at the pub, helping my mum with the books... looking after the kids, packing for this move to the new house... you name it and I've been working on it."

Lizzy looked thoughtfully at her friend. "Well, that's about to come to a stop."

"How am I supposed to stop working?" Allison asked her. "I can't, not with the new house we have to pay for. Two weeks and we have to be out of this one!"

"You need to take it easy," Lizzy told her. "If you don't control your blood pressure what happened with Emma could happen again, Allie."

Allison lay back against the pillows and put a hand over her eyes.

"You know," Lizzy said. "You have a large family and I'm sure they'd all help out if you only ask."

"I can't depend on everyone to help me out like that," Allison argued.

"How are things in here?" Jon asked from the doorway.

"Fine," Allison replied before Lizzy could say anything.

Lizzy sighed. "They will be fine if Allie would listen to me."

"Al," Jon said. "You know--"

"Where are the kids?" Allison asked starting to pull off the covers. "Emma and Caroline are going to be late for school---"

"Allie," Lizzy gently put her hand on Allison's shoulder. "You need to be on bed rest. I know you don't like to hear it, but it's for your own good, and that of the baby's."

Just outside the door, Caroline covered her mouth. This was bad---apparently just as bad as she thought it was. She listented, unnoticed, as Lizzy explained what was going on with her mother. Caroline did not understand most of the big words that Lizzy used.

"You just need rest," Lizzy finished up. "I'm going to come twice a week to check on you. And you know everyone will pitch in to help you lot move without you having to do anything, Allie."

Caroline grabbed her bag and ran downstairs where Adam and Emma were still eating breakfast.

"Sissy?" Emma asked. "Can I have more cereal?"

Caroline nodded, not really listening to her sister's question.

Emma watched her sister. "What's wrong?"

Caroline looked over at her sister. "Nothing."

"Do you think Mummy will help me with my bike later?" Emma asked. "After school?"

"I will," Caroline said hurriedly. "But you know what else? We have to help with packing up our rooms. We have to do everything Daddy tells us to do."

"Mummy's doing that," Emma said.

"Well we're going to do it now." Caroline said firmly.

"Me too?" Adam asked. "I'm too little!"

"I will help you," Caroline told him.

Adam and Emma looked at each other and Emma shrugged.

"Just come to me instead of bothering Mummy," Caroline said. "Or talk to Daddy."

"Why?" Emma asked curiously.

"Because I said so," Caroline knew her siblings would not understand what was going on.

"Kay," Adam said grabbing his spoon.

"Thanks Adam," Caroline said, giving her sister a pointed look.

"Okay, okay," Emma relented. "No going to Mummy. Only you or Daddy."

"Right," Caroline nodded.

Jon came into the kitchen. "Caroline, Emma----go and get your school bags. It's time to go. Adam, you and me are going to the pub by ourselves today."

"Yes Daddy," Caroline replied, ushering her sister out of the kitchen.

Jon lifted Adam out of his seat. "We're not going to stay all day today, buddy. We're going to just check in and then we'll come back and stay with Mummy."

"Okay," Adam said excitedly.

Jon gave his son a hug. He was worried about Allison and he knew she was mad at him for calling Lizzy.

"Can I talk to Mummy?" Emma asked, coming back into the kitchen.

"If you make it quick," Jon told her.

Emma ran from the kitchen and burst into Allison's room. "Hi Mummy!"

Allison smiled as she took in her youngest daughter. Emma was wearing a purple jumper and jeans. She made a mental note to thank Caroline for helping Emma. "You look very pretty, sweetheart."

"Thank you," Emma spun around in a circle. "Are you sick?"

"Just a little sleepy," Allison said. "I'm going to stay in bed today."

"If I could make soup, I'd make you soup," Emma said, climbing onto the bed.

"I'll teach you someday," Allison promised as Emma cuddled up beside her.

"Can't I just stay with you today?" Emma asked her.

Allison kissed the top of her daughter's head. "You have to go to school, baby girl."

"I don't like school," Emma pouted.

Lizzy was putting her things back in her bag. "Why's that, Em?"

"I don't like my teacher," Emma said. "She doesn't like me either."

Allison shook her head. "Emma, that's not true. She loves you. She just wishes you would pay attention."

"I try," Emma explained.

"Just remember to stay in your seat and don't get up unless your teacher tells you to," Allison said. "You want a gold star."

"I love gold stars," Emma nodded.

"Me too," Lizzy grinned, tweaking Emma's nose.

"I'll get one today," Emma promised.

"That's my girl," Allison said giving her a kiss.

"I'll be in touch later," Lizzy told Allison. "Stay in bed, and let Jon wait on you today."

Allison nodded. "I will."

"Why does Mummy get to stay in bed?" Emma asked.

"Because she's been doing SO much," Lizzy replied. "And she and your baby sister or brother-to-be needs to get some sleep."

"Oh," Emma said. "I'll be extra good."

"If I had gold stars, I'd give you one," Lizzy said to her niece.

Emma giggled. "Thanks, Aunt Lizzy."

Jon appeared in the doorway with Caroline and Adam. "Come on, Em."

"Bye Mummy," Emma said, spinning around one more time before leaving the room.

Allison looked at Lizzy. "She's something else, isn't she?"

"Quite so," Lizzy said. "Talk to you later, Allie. Remember what I told you."

"Rest," Allison replied. "No working."

"Right," she nodded.

When she was alone, Allison tried to get some sleep. But, her mind was racing with all the thing she had to do.

She sighed, rubbing her forehead. "How am I supposed to get this place ready to go from bed?"

Allison put her hand on her stomach. She hoped this prescribed bedrest would only be for a few days. There was just way too much to do and not enough time to do it.

A thought came to her- she could look up a few spells and see if she could get these items to pack themselves into boxes. She could easily do that from bed.

Allison picked up her wand from the bedside table.

A few hours after taking the girls to school and checking in at the pub, Jon arrived home to find items flying all over the house, settling themselves into boxes. "Al?"

He and Adam ducked just before a stack of books hit them square in the face.

"Whoa!" Adam exclaimed.

"Al?" Jon asked again, ducking his way through the hall towards their bedroom.

Allison smiled at him. "Oh, hey!"

"What are you doing?" Jon asked.

"Packing, silly," Allison said with a grin.

Adam looked on with wide eyes.

"Al you're supposed to be resting," Jon said. "Not worrying about packing."

"I'm resting," Allison said. "I only got out of bed twice. Once to go to the loo and the other to get a spell book."

Adam reached for her and Jon set him down on the bed. "But Al--"

"You worry too much," Allison told him.

"With good reason," Jon pointed out.

Allison patted the empty space beside her. "Sit."

"Okay," Adam said, crawling next to her and making her laugh.

"I was talking about your daddy," Allison said tickling her son's side.

Jon had to smile too. "I would, but I'm going to get to work around here. I don't want you to worry, Al. Just stay in bed."

"Jon?" Allison asked. "Lizzy told me what we were having..."

"But I thought the baby wasn't developed enough," Jon said.

"Lizzy did a little test," Allison replied. "Do you want to know?"

"I do," Adam replied.

Jon sat down. "What are we having?"

"Another girl," Allison said softly.

Jon looked at her. "A girl?"

Allison nodded sheepishly.

Adam frowned. "'nother sissy."

"Its okay, Al." Jon told her. "I don't mind another girl."

"I should hope not," Allison teased. "Because that's what we're going to have."

"I want a boy," Adam pouted.

Allison laughed. "You're still going to be a big brother."

Adam shrugged his little shoulders.

"Why don't you go and grab a book and I'll read it to you while your daddy makes us lunch?" Allison suggested.

"Okay," Adam agreed eagerly, pushing himself off the bed.

Jon leaned over and gave his wife a kiss. "Well, at least now we know how to decorate the nursery."

"True," Allison said. "I'm sorry for getting snappish. But I do hate just lying about."

"I know," Jon said. "But, please do this, Al. You heard Lizzy---it's best for you and the baby."

Allison sighed. "I'll try to be patient about it."

"Thank you," Jon said. "And you know, I can do the packing."

"I think I just got a lot more of it done," Allison replied.

Jon laughed. "Okay, Al. I'm going to make lunch. Any requests?"

Allison shook her head. "Whatever you make will be fine."

"Peanut butter and jelly?" Jon asked.

"You know Adam will love that," Allison replied.

"You don't want anything strange on there, too?" Jon asked. "I know how you pregnant women are..."

"Not yet," Allison said with a grin.

Jon laughed. "What was that you made me get up and make you that time you were pregnant with Caroline?"

"Watermelon and chocolate chips," Allison said.

Jon's nose scrunched up. "And I told you we didn't have watermelon and you made me go out in the middle of the night to find it."

"You went to America for my watermelon," Allison smiled at him.

Jon nodded. "You were eight months pregnant. I wasn't going to mess about."

Allison squeezed his hand. "I do love you, Jonathan."

"I love you too," Jon said. He put his free hand on her stomach. "And this little girl."

"We'll have to think of names again," Allison said her head on the pillow.

Adam toddled into the room carrying three of his favourite books.

"There's my boy," Allison said. "Time to read."

Jon took the books from his son and handed them to Allison. He then helped Adam up on the bed. "Adam?"

Adam looked up at him.

"Will you look after your mum for me?" Jon asked. "Make sure she takes it easy? If you do, I'll make your favourite sandwich."

Adam grinned. "Okay!"

Jon mussed his son's hair. "Lunch will be served shortly."

"Yummy," Adam declared.

Jon gave his wife a kiss before leaving the room. Allison picked up the books and made a goofy face at her son. She knew that he liked spending one on one time with her away from his sisters. "So, what do we want to read first?"

"This one," Adam pointed, cuddling up next to her.

"Excellent choice," Allison said picking up the book.

Jon was busy making lunch for his wife and son and letting Allison's spell pack up the rest of the house when he heard a muffled thump and someone squeal. "Ow!"

"Hello?" Jon called out.

"What's going on in there?" his twin appeared in the doorway.

"Al's packing," Jon replied with a grin. "Did you get hit with something?"

"Only the biggest book you have," Josh said, rubbing his forehead.

Jon laughed. "I wish I could have seen it. You want a sandwich?"

"No thanks," Josh replied. "I thought you were going to be at the pub today."

Jon told his brother about what had happened with Allison this morning. "Your wife told her she needs to rest."

"Oh," Josh nodded. "Will she be all right?"

"If she takes it easy," Jon replied. "Liz said if she doesn't---the same thing could happen that happened when she was having Emma."

Josh looked surprised. "Wow... mate. Do you need me to cover for you for a few days?"

Jon nodded. "Yeah. I know this is a bad time..."

"It's getting busy," Josh replied. "But we can manage. If you can stop in for a little bit here and there..."

"I can," Jon promised.

"Good," Josh said. "We'll have to find a replacement for Allie for the time being."

Jon leaned against the counter. "I was thinking we could ask Patti to fill in."

"Sure," Josh replied. "Good idea."

"And Stan could take the lunches," Jon said.

"Audrey mentioned she wanted to pick up some extra shifts," Josh wrote this down. "She and RJ bought their house, you know."

"Junior did it, eh?" Jon asked.

Josh nodded. "Makes me wonder when he's going to be like the rest of us, and get married."

"Junior's always gone at his own pace," Jon said thoughtfully.

"That's probably a good thing," Josh said jokingly.

Jon looked at his brother just as Allison's cookbooks levitated and flew toward Josh. "Duck, Josh!"

Josh didn't make it in time, and the cookbook whacked into the side of his head.

Jon stifled a laugh. "This is why you were always rubbish at Quidditch. Those reflexes of yours..."

"What is that made of, iron?" Josh asked. "I better get out of here before I'm killed."

Jon laughed. "Josh, stay awhile. I can have her stop and you and I can pack."

"That sounds like a blast," Josh said rolling his eyes jokingly.

"What else do you have to do today, brainiac?" Jon teased.

"Pick up the kids later," Josh said. "After school."

"Key word is later," Jon said putting the sandwiches on a tray. "Come on...you can come and say hi to Al and Adam."

"Okay," Josh replied, following his brother. He looked around at the small house. He was glad his brother and sister in law were moving to a bigger place.

"...the dragon flew at the boy," Allison was reading to her son. Adam gasped. "Oh no!"

Allison laughed. "But the boy pulled out his wand and--"

"...was hit by a flying cookbook," Josh finished.

"No," Adam looked up. "Uncle Josh!"

Josh laughed. "Your mum nearly killed me twice with a book."

Allison gasped. "Josh, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Josh reassured her. "How are you holding up?"

"All right," Allison said. "I don't like bed rest."

Adam grinned happily. "I like it, Mummy!"

"I bet you do, buddy," Jon said with a grin.

"And no Em," Adam said reaching for his sandwich.

"Adam," Allison laughed. "That's not nice."

Jon set the tray of food down on the bed. "Emma jumped on Adam's bed this morning...again."

"And on me," Adam frowned.

Josh looked at his nephew. "She scare you, buddy?"

"Em is mean and bossy," Adam told the adults.

"Your sister loves you very much and she's not mean," Allison told him.

"Still bossy," Adam replied.

"I talked to her on the way to school," Jon said. "But she didn't really listen..."

"That's her ADHD working," Allison sighed. "I'd hoped the medicine we got her would be working, but it's done nothing so far."

Adam took a bite of his sandwich.

"How's it taste, buddy?" Jon asked.

"Yummy," Adam replied grinning at his father.

"Josh and I should get to work," Jon said. "Al... could you stop the spell so we could work without being killed?"

Allison pretended to think about this. "You know it might make you work faster if you're dodging things..."

"Or not," Josh pointed to his bruise.

"Babies," Allison teased.

"Baby," Adam pointed at his father and uncle.

"We're not babies," Jon said. "We just don't want our handsome faces being scratched, bruised or bloodied."

Allison shook her head but stopped the spell.

"Thank you," Jon said.

"Thanks for helping us," Allison told Josh. "I would do it myself but--"

Josh held up his hand. "You would do it for Liz and me, Allie. It's no problem."

"Thanks," Allison said gratefully.

Allison took a bite of her sandwich and watched her son. She had never been one to just sit back and let others do things for her. But, she would do whatever she had to do to make sure that the baby was healthy. Her family needed her and she wasn't going to do anything to jeopardize that.