Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thank you for the questions! At the end of the chapter, you will find our answers to the readers' questions we received this past week. If you have any additional questions to ask, leave them in your review and we will answer them next week. Thank you all so much for reading!

When the news broke of RJ and Audrey's engagement, Ron and Luna decided to have all their children over that evening. It was going to be a full house, but they loved nothing more than to have their families there.

"I can't believe my baby is going to be married," Luna said. "I still see him as that little boy following Maddie around..."

Emma laughed from her perch at the stove. She was helping cook the meal and over the years had turned into a chef in training. She loved to cook just as much as she loved to eat.

"Gran, he's too big to be a baby," Emma commented, causing Ron to laugh.

"It hasn't stopped him from eating like one." Ron said, adding a few spices to the pot Emma was stirring.

"He's still my baby," Luna said. She was setting the table which she had enlarged with magic due to the size of the dinner party.

"I'm glad Audrey will finally be our aunt," Emma said. "It took him long enough to ask her."

"Well, according to him, she finally asked him," Luna said.

"But he's supposed to ask her!" Emma gasped. "It's all wrong!"

"Not necessarily," Luna said. "A girl can ask a bloke out for a date. Why can't she ask him to get married, too?"

"I never asked a boy out," Emma said. "Maybe I should try that."

Ron shook his head. "Emma, you're eleven. Too young to date."

"That's what Daddy says too," Emma replied.

"My son is a smart man," Ron said. He patted Emma's shoulder. "And you are a great cook, Miss Weasley."

Emma giggled. "It's the one thing I can concentrate on."

Luna smiled. "We appreciate you coming over here to help before everyone arrived."

"I love helping out," Emma grinned at her.

"Where's Ickle Ronniekins?" Ron heard George shout from the sitting room.

Ron groaned and looked at his wife. "You invited them?"

"They're RJ's uncles," Luna said. "And your parents couldn't make it, so at least someone

else from your family could."

"And there's free food involved!" Fred exclaimed from the doorway.

"Not for you there isn't," Ron replied. "We cancelled dinner."

George put him in a headlock and mussed his hair. "He's so cute, isn't he, Fred?"

"Just adorable," Fred replied. "Even cuter if he tries one of these--"

Luna put her hand on George's shoulder. "Let him go, Fred." Her voice was still sweet and dreamy but her expression was serious.

Ron shoved back from his brothers and glared at them. "You're in my home tonight. At least give me some respect for that."

George picked Emma up and swung her around. "And who is this young lady here? Surely not our ickle Emma."

"Uncle George!" Emma squealed, laughing.

"We're going to need to tell her all our secrets for Hogwarts," Fred said. "Sit by us tonight, Em. Your first lessons start tonight."

"You'll tell me everything?" Emma asked excitedly.

"Absolutely," Fred promised. "The quickest ways to get into the kitchens...the best places to hide..."

"I don't think Jon and Allie want her hiding out," Luna told her brothers in law. "The kitchens... well that of course is one of the best kept secrets of the Weasley family."

Emma smiled. "I have to know where to get snacks, Gran."

Luna smiled at her. "I would never want you to go hungry, love."

Emma gave her grandmother a hug. "You're still going to send me care packages like you do Caroline, right?"

"All the time," Luna promised.

Josh, Lizzy and their brood arrived next. The boys were excited to see Fred and George and latched onto them the moment they arrived. Casey shook her head. "Boys."

"What?" Aidan asked crossly.

"You're just silly," Casey said joining Emma at the stove.

"Hi Case," Emma said with a grin.

Casey's two brothers were thick as thieves and they were now in the stage where they wanted to exclude their sister.

"They're big stupidheads," Casey said, glaring over at her brothers.

Emma put her arm around her. "Don't worry, Case. You have Livvie and me."

"Thanks Em," Casey said gratefully. "I wish I had sisters like you do."

Emma grinned. "Come on. You can help me finish. Put those dinner rolls on that plate."

"Okay," Casey agreed. "They look yummy."

Josh walked over to his mother and gave her a hug. "How are you holding up, Mum? You're not losing a son, you're gaining a daughter."

"I'm all right," Luna said. "Perhaps RJ won't run off to get married like you and your brother did..."

"Liz and I just wanted to do it privately," Josh said with a shrug. "And you did have adouble wedding for Drew and Darla. And let's not forget the Mad's wedding."

"I wanted to see my boys get married too," Luna said. "But that's all right."

"Well, you'll get to do that with Junior," Josh grinned. "He's your baby."

"Yes he is," Luna said. "And you and Jonathan will behave yourselves and not give him a hard time tonight."

"It's not me you have to worry about," Josh said innocently.

"You're fine until your brother starts egging you on," Luna replied. "Don't give me that face,

Joshua. I'm your mother."

Josh held up his hand. "I'll behave."

Luna smiled. "That's my boy."

Drew, Brian and Chloe arrived next. Drew had made a cake and Chloe carefully carried it into the kitchen.

"The dessert is here," Chloe announced.

"Ooooh!" Emma squealed. "What did you make?"

"Chocolate cherry cake," Chloe carefully set it on the counter and straightened out her dress.

"I love your dress, Chloe," Casey commented.

"Thank you," Chloe smiled at her cousin. "It's new."

"Where'd you get it?" Emma asked.

"Mummy found it for me at the shops," Chloe said, pushing back her curly red hair.

Emma looked down at her tee shirt and jeans. "I just put on whatever feels comfortable."

"I like to look nice," Chloe swayed so the fabric of her dress would swish.

"You look very pretty," Casey told her. The three girls walked over to say something to

Luna just as Jon, Allie, Olivia and Adam arrived.

"Livvie!" Emma's face lit up when she saw her baby sister.

Olivia grinned and ran toward her. "Em!"

"Ooooh," Chloe squealed. "Don't wrinkle me!"

"Little Miss Prim and Proper," Fred said to Josh. "I'm thinking she should have been your kid not Drew's."

"That's really funny Uncle Fred," Josh said sarcastically

Adam, of course, made his way over to where Noah and Aidan were playing. They were like the Three Musketeers when they were together. They immediately wanted to go outside and play in the backyard. Since they were still waiting for the guests of honour to arrive, Lizzy and Allison told them it was okay.

"But," Allison said. "No going into the garden or in the mud. And you leave the gnomes

alone."

"But, Aunt Allie," Noah started to protest.

"No gnomes," Allison said firmly.

The boys walked out of the house and nearly ran into Rafe, Liam and Darla. "Come on, Rafe!" Aidan exclaimed to him. "We're going to play!"

"Okay!" Rafe said. "Can I?" he looked at his mother.

Darla nodded. "Yes, if you stay out of the mud and away from the gnomes."

"No fun," Rafe said but ran off with his cousins anyway.

Liam laughed as he held the door open for Darla. "No fun."

"Am I really no fun?" Darla asked him.

"You're very fun," Liam said with a grin. "But you know how little boys are. They're not having a good time unless they're getting dirty."

Darla laughed. "I suppose Drew and I were too proper for that. We never liked mud and degnoming."

"Your brothers probably did," Liam said.

"Of course they did," Darla said. "And Maddie liked degnoming but she refused to throw them. She'd have tea parties with them instead."

Liam laughed. "That sounds like Maddie."

Darla smiled as they went into the kitchen.

Ethan and Maddie had also just arrived and everyone was cooing over the babies. Maddie was happy to be around her family and to celebrate her baby brother's engagement.

"Can I hold Arielle?" Emma begged. "Please?"

Ethan nodded. "Sure, Em."

Emma felt she had outgrown her princess phase, but still loved her cousin's name. "Hi Arielle," she said softly.

The baby blinked up at her and Emma beamed at her.

"It's really too bad she doesn't have red hair," Emma said. "Then she would be just like a

mermaid, and someday marry a prince."

"Well, I don't have red hair," Maddie commented. "But I still married my prince."

"That's soooooo romantic," Emma replied dreamily. "Right, Chloe?"

Chloe nodded in agreement. "Very romantic."

Maddie smiled at her nieces. "I can't believe how big you're both getting. And you're both so lovely as well."

Chloe grinned. "Thanks, Aunt Maddie."

"I helped make dinner," Emma told her aunt. "I hope you like it."

Maddie smiled. "I love everything you make, Em."

Emma grinned. "I want to be a chef someday. No one knows food better than me!"

Arielle lifted a hand up to Emma's face.

Maddie laughed. "I think that means she agrees."

"When you get older I'll teach you everything I know," Emma promised her cousin.

Maddie remembered saying the same thing to her younger brother so many years ago. And now he was getting married. Her heart swelled for him. She had always liked Audrey and knew that she was perfect for her baby brother.

"Everything okay?" Ethan asked, sliding an arm around her.

Maddie leaned against him. "Yes. I'm just really glad we're here."

"Me too," Ethan kissed the side of her head. "You look fantastic tonight, you know that?"

"Thanks, Ethan," Maddie said softly.

"So little Junior's about to tie the knot," he commented.

Maddie nodded. "Yeah."

"Seems like yesterday he was just finishing school," Ethan said. "Merlin I sound old..."

"You are old," Maddie teased.

"If I'm old so are you," Ethan squeezed her side.

"I beg your pardon," Maddie said. "I am three years younger than you."

"And RJ is what, two years younger than you?" Ethan returned.

Maddie poked him. "Point taken."

Ethan gave his wife a kiss. "Things are feeling normal again, you know?"

"Finally," Maddie said, nodding.

"You've been doing great lately," Ethan said to her. "I know I've said it a million times, but I'm proud of you."

Maddie hugged him tightly. "I'm just lucky you've been so patient with me."

"I loveyou," Ethan said softly. "My life is you and our kids."

Maddie gave him a kiss. "Mine, too."

A shout interrupted their moment and the two of them looked over to see RJ and Audrey walk in. "There they are!" George hollered. "The happy couple!"

"Audrey and the Blushing Bride," Fred joked. "Junior, are you going to wear white?"

"What?" RJ asked. "Wear white?"

"Seeing as your girl had to ask you," Fred said punching him on the arm. "Seems like you'd be the one wearing the dress."

"It's not that big a deal," RJ scowled.

"Don't listen to them," Darla said to her brother.

"We're so excited for both of you," Drew hugged her brother and soon to be sister in law. "And we like your style, Aud."

Darla took Audrey's hand. "That ring is gorgeous!"

"We went and picked them out earlier today," Audrey said. "RJ has one too."

Fred and George chuckled. "Oh, really?"

"Does ickle Junior have a diamond?" Jon teased.

RJ glared at them. "Shut it."

He wore a plain silver band around his ring finger. He really hadn't' wanted to but Audrey had insisted.

Luna put her hand over Jon's mouth. "Don't say a word, Jonathan."

"I think it's quite lovely," Maddie told her brother. "And very romantic. Don't listen to them."

"Thanks, Maddie," RJ said gratefully.

Maddie hugged him. "I'm really happy for you. Audrey's wonderful."

"She is pretty great," RJ said. "I love her more than anything."

"You'll like being married," Maddie said. "I know you've enjoyed being a bachelor--"

"Not as much as being with Aud," RJ said and Audrey beamed at him.

"You tamed the wild beast," Jon said. "Way to go, Audrey."

Olivia's eyes grew large. "A beast? Daddy!"

"Nice Jon," RJ said. "Scare your own daughter."

Jon picked up Olivia. "Daddy was only joking, love."

"Okay," Olivia said in a small voice.

Jon hugged her. "No beasts in this house. Daddy promises."

"Come here you," RJ took his niece. "Audrey and I were thinking you might like to be our flower girl."

"Really?" Olivia asked.

"Ooooh!" Emma had overheard this. "Livvie you get to be a flower girl?"

"Think so," Olivia replied smiling at her sister.

"You'd be a lovely flower girl," Audrey said. "Your uncle RJ and I would be very honoured."

Olivia grinned. "Do I get to wear a pretty dress?"

"You get to wear one of the prettiest dresses," Emma told her sister.

Audrey took Olivia from RJ and gave her a hug. "You'll be absolutely gorgeous."

Olivia grinned at her.

"Dinner's ready!" Ron announced. "Right, Em?"

"Yes!" Emma agreed. "Everyone please go sit down!"

Audrey set Olivia down and took RJ's hand. "I'm starving."

"I made dinner with Grandpa's help," Emma told them. "I hope you like it."

Ron grinned. "Em and I make a great team."

"It smells delicious, baby," Allison told her daughter as she seated Olivia next to her. "Jon, go call the boys inside, would you?"

Jon nodded and headed outside.

"Adam!" Jon called. "Noah, Aidan and Rafe! Come on in for dinner!"

There was no response and Jon called out their names again. A few moments later, the four boys sheepishly walked toward the house, mud all over their faces.

"What the bloody hell have you boys been doing?" Jon asked.

"Nothing," Adam said innocently.

"What did your mother tell you before you went outside?" Jon asked sternly.

"It was the gnomes," Aidan said, wiping at his face. "They started it."

"We told all of you to stay away from the gnomes," Jon replied. "Come on."

The boys followed Jon into the house. When Chloe saw how dirty they were, she squealed.

"Don't come near me!" she said, running to hide behind her father.

Lizzy shook her head. "Aidan and Noah Weasley! I don't even know why I bother telling you boys not to do something. Just for that, no dessert for either of you."

Casey laughed at her twin brothers.

"That goes for you too, Adam Jonathan," Allison said.

"But--" Adam protested.

"I get Adam's dessert," Emma said in a sing-song voice.

"We'll see," Allison said in her no nonsense voice.

Jon waved his wand at the four boys and within seconds, they were all clean.

"Rafe come over here," Darla said. "You sit down right now. What did I tell you before you went to play?"

"No gnomes," Rafe recited. "No mud."

"And what did you do?" Darla asked.

"Sorry, Mummy," Rafe replied.

"Sit down and eat," Darla told her son.

Audrey looked over at RJ and grinned. "Someday, we might have a little boy getting into trouble like that."

"Most likely," he agreed wryly.

"If he's your son, he'll be a little rule breaker," Audrey said.

"A good looking one at that," RJ replied.

RJ reached for her hand and squeezed it. "Are you excited about all this?"

Audrey nodded. "Are you kidding? This is all I've ever wanted."

"I have thought about this," RJ told her. "But I guess I just thought we were doing all right the way we were. I'd have proposed a long time ago if I knew--"

"It's okay," Audrey cut him off. "It happened when it was supposed to, RJ."

RJ smiled at her. "You're good for me, Aud."

"And you are perfect for me," Audrey told him, squeezing his hand.

"Come on Junior," Jon said. "We're all trying to eat here."

Audrey blushed. "Sorry, you guys."

"What does everyone think?" Emma asked anxiously.

"It's delicious," Luna reassured her granddaughter. "Our compliments to the chef."

"Very good, Em." Allison smiled at her daughter. "Adam, what do you say to your sister for making such a lovely meal?"

"I say she's not getting my cake," Adam said glaring at his older sister.

"Well you don't get to eat it," Emma replied.

"Mummy!" Adam protested.

"No dessert," Allison told him.

"Well, I don't want Em to have mine," Adam said. "I'll give it to Livvie or Casey."

"That's not up to you," Jon told his son.

Adam folded his arms.

"Eat your dinner," Jon told him.

"You two as well," Josh said to his own sons. "Don't think you two got out of this."

"Dad, it wasn't us!" Noah protested. "It was the gnomes."

"I don't care," Josh said sternly.

Aidan pulled a toad out of his pocked. He had found it in the garden. He showed it to Chloe.

"He's awesome, isn't he?"

Chloe let out a high pitched scream. "Daddy!"

Brian looked at his daughter. "What is it, Chloe?"

"It's slimy and yucky," Chloe cried. "

Lizzy put her head in her hands. "Aidan! You put that toad outside right this minute!"

"It's not going to hurt anyone," Aidan said. "I want to keep him for a pet."

"We'll talk about that later," Lizzy told him firmly. "But, please take him outside."

"You never let me do anything fun," Aidan grumbled.

"Perhaps if you listened," Josh warned him.

Aidan made a face but brought the toad outside.

Drew smiled reassuringly at her daughter. "Why don't you sit beside me, sweetheart? I'm sure your father wouldn't mind sitting beside Aidan."

Chloe eagerly escaped her chair. "Mummy, it might have jumped on me!"

"I know, baby, but it didn't," Drew said. "No harm done."

Chloe smoothed her dress down and straightened her hair.

Ron stood up. "I'd just like to take a moment to say how happy Luna and I are to have all of you here. Family is very important to the Weasleys and we are happy to welcome Audrey to our family. It takes a special person to hang around all this madness and we haven't managed to scare you off yet, Audrey."

"She should be used to us all by now," George cracked.

Ron rolled his eyes. "If she can survive you and Fred, she's a saint."

"You survived us and you aren't," Fred said cheekily.

"And there's two more that will not be getting any cake," Ron announced.

"More for us," Emma grinned devilishly.

"We're grown men," Fred told Ron. "You can't take away our cake."

"Yes I can," Ron answered.

"You're in trouble!" Casey giggled, pointing her finger at Fred and George.

"With who?" Fred made a goofy face at her.

"Grandpa," Casey giggled.

"I'm not afraid of him," Fred teased her.

"He should be," Ron said. "Right, Case?"

Casey nodded. "You're tough."

"He's a marshmallow," Fred scoffed.

"That's not nice," Emma told her great uncle.

"Emma's right," Luna said.

"This is a happy occasion," Allison said. "We're here to celebrate RJ and Audrey's engagement, not argue."

"Exactly," Maddie said. "Daddy's right. It's all about family and tonight, we officially welcome Audrey to ours."

Audrey smiled. "Thanks everyone."

"You're stuck with us now," Maddie told her.

"That's all right by me," Audrey replied.

RJ gave her a kiss. "Me, too."

"Everyone, eat." Emma urged. "So we can have dessert."

"Well, almost everyone anyway," Casey said looking at her brothers.

"Shut it, Case." Noah said.

"This keeps up and Audrey will be the only one having cake," Lizzy said.

"What did I do?" RJ asked jokingly.

"Nothing yet," Lizzy said.

"I'm being good tonight," RJ replied.

"So far," Jon said with a grin. "But you always find a way to get into trouble. I should know, I'm the same way."

"It's true," Allison nodded. "But RJ gets a free pass tonight."

RJ grinned. "Free pass. I like that."

Josh shook his head. "Junior, that doesn't mean you get to behave like the kids."

"I didn't go out and play in the mud or bother the gnomes," RJ said.

"You did when you were younger," Josh recalled.

"That was then, this is now," RJ said. "But thanks for bringing that up."

"If Uncle RJ did it--" Adam began.

"And he got into trouble for it," Luna interjected.

"I didn't get dessert for a week," RJ told his nephew.

Adam shuddered at the thought.

"You lot got off easy," RJ continued.

"Learn from his example," Darla said to Rafe. "Imagine an entire week without sweets, Rafe."

"No, Rafe shook his head.

Audrey look around the table and felt her heart swell. She already felt like this people were here family. She reached under the table and gave RJ's hand a squeeze.

"Alright?" he asked her.

Audrey nodded. "Everything's perfect."

*** *** ***

Ethan, Justin and the other Aurors entered the large conference room. Though nothing had been set in stone, word had it that Remus Lupin was going to officially step down as Head Auror. It was truly the end of an era and Ethan could not imagine this

place without Remus.

Ethan had always looked up to Remus Lupin, even as a child. The older gentleman had served as a father figure to Harry and had been a fixture in the Potter home.

"I wonder who's going to take over?" Justin asked him.

"My money's on my dad," Ethan whispered.

"I bet its Neville," Justin said. "Or Natalie Worthington."

"Natalie doesn't have as much time in as Neville or Dad," Ethan commented.

"But she's good," Justin pointed out.

Ethan nodded. "Yes, she is."

"Ah, who are we kidding?" Justin asked. "Your dad's got it in the bag."

Ethan smiled. His father had never come out and said that he wanted it, but Ethan knew his

father would be a great Head Auror. Every person in this room looked up to his father.

They took seats near the rear of the room and waited while the rest of their fellow Aurors filed in.

Just outside, Lupin stood with Harry and Neville.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Harry asked him.

Lupin nodded. "Nymphadora has been patient enough with me. It's time."

"We'll miss you around here," Harry told him.

"He's still going to consult," Neville said with a grin. "Remember? You promised."

"You'd never let me forget," Remus said dryly.

"Never thought we'd see this day," Harry commented.

"You already said that," Remus replied. "Come on."

Harry and Neville walked into the conference room and took their seats.

"Good afternoon, everyone." Remus cleared his throat.

Every eye in the room fell on him and Remus grinned. "You all look so serious," he began.

"Are you retiring, sir?" Justin called out.

Remus nodded. "Yes, I have decided to retire. It was not an easy decision to make. I've spent many happy years here, mentoring many of you. "

"Who's going to take over," another bloke asked.

"That's a very valid question," Remus replied. "There are four capable candidates to become Head Auror and the Wizengamot will make the final decision, of course. But, I have given them a list of candidates that I feel are qualified to lead this department in the right direction."

"Who are they?" Ethan couldn't resist asking.

"Neville Longbottom," Remus replied.

"I knew it," Justin said under his breath.

"Natalie Worthington," Remus continued.

"Did I call this list or what?" Justin looked over at his friend.

"Josephine Hilson," Remus said.

"Who?" Ethan whispered.

Remus laughed. "Josephine started out here at the Ministry as an Auror, but transferred to Australia twenty years ago. She is more than capable and would be an excellent leader. I have spoken to her about moving back here and she is more than willing to accept the position."

Ethan saw his father wince at the mention of this woman and he made a mental note to ask his father about her later.

"And last but not least," Lupin continued. "Harry Potter."

"I knew it," Ethan said triumphantly.

"The final decision will be made in the next few weeks," Remus told them.

Harry and Neville looked at each other and grinned.

Remus finished his remarks and a few Aurors gathered around him. Neville and Harry stood back.

"A promotion would be great," Neville said. "Just what I need to get my mind off everything..."

Harry nodded, knowing that the pain of what had happened with Frank and Alice still lingered for Neville.

He missed them too. He'd grown so accustomed to having them around that it was still hard to believe that they were worse than they'd been before.

"You'd be a great leader, Neville," Harry said.

"So would you," Neville told him. "You always have."

"No matter what happens, we'll still be friends and we won't let this change things," Harry said.

"Sure," Neville nodded.

Ethan came over to them. "Congratulations, Dad, Uncle Neville."

"Thanks son," Harry said. "It'll be an interesting few weeks."

"Can I have a word?" Ethan asked.

"Sure," Harry replied.

Ethan led him away from the crowd. "This other person Remus was talking about---Josephine?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "There's a name I hoped to never hear about again.

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"I knew her from Hogwarts," Harry said evasively.

Ethan raised an eyebrow.

"I dated her when I was having some issues with Cho," Harry said. "Long story."

"You dated someone named Josephine?" Ethan wrinkled his nose.

"Not for very long," Harry clarified. "And she was a year older than me anyway. But, um, there was still some history here when I started and I was already with your mother at the time."

Ethan laughed. "Got yourself in a mess?"

"To put it mildly," Harry replied.

Ethan shook his head. "Way to go, Dad."

"Funny, Ethan," Harry said. "But, despite that, from all accounts, she's a great Auror."

"Then she'll be a real contender for the job," Ethan replied.

"Remus wouldn't have named her if she wasn't," Harry said.

"Or he just wants to see you squirm," Ethan couldn't resist saying.

Harry smiled wryly. "There's that, too."

"I wonder what Mum would say--" Ethan began.

Harry shook his head. "It's nothing, Ethan."

Ethan only grinned at him.

"Enjoying this, are you?" Harry asked.

"More than you know," Ethan said. "This woman must be a knockout."

"She was beautiful," Harry said. "But, she could not hold a candle to your mum."

Ethan nodded. "I'm sure she knows all about this."

"What makes you say that?" Harry asked.

Ethan grinned. "Because she's just walked into the room. See?"

Harry spun around to see his wife approaching Lupin.

"Wonder what she'll think of good, old Josie," Ethan said, clapping his father on the back.

"Ethan James," Harry said warningly.

Ethan grinned. "It's fun to watch you squirm."

Harry shook his head and muttered something under his breath.

Ethan caught his mother's eye and waved.

Hermione smiled and approached her husband and son. "I thought I'd come down for the big announcement but I was tied up with the Greek Minister."

"I'm sure it means a lot to Remus that you stopped by," Ethan said giving his mother a hug.

"He's been in the department for so long... since before I took office," Hermione said.

Ethan nodded. "Did you hear Dad's on his list of candidates to take his place?"

Hermione nodded. "He brought it up to me earlier this morning."

"Gonna put in a good word for him?" Ethan asked with a grin.

Hermione laughed. "I have to be impartial, Ethan. But of course I do think your father would be wonderful for the job."

Harry put his arm around her. "Thanks, sweetheart."

"Neville would also be good," Hermione said. "I don't know the other candidates yet. But I'll interview them soon."

Ethan looked at her. "Oh, you'll be interviewing ALL the candidates?"

"With Remus, yes," Hermione nodded. "The final decision will be up to the Wizengamot, but they'll consider our opinions on the matter as well."

Ethan grinned at his father. "That's nice, isn't it, Dad?"

"Sure," Harry replied, not taking his son's bait.

"I think I'll just go and say something to Lupin," Ethan said.

"Ethan," Hermione said. "You don't go around talking about this. Younger Aurors like yourself have no say in who takes over."

Ethan nodded. "I know, Mum."

"Good," Hermione smiled.

Harry gave his wife's hand a squeeze. "I'm glad you could make it."

"Better late than never," Hermione replied.

"A minister's work is never done," Harry said. "Isn't that what you always tell me?"

"That's very true," Hermione smiled. "I hope this Josephine Hilson arrives soon. She's really the only one I need to talk to.:

"Right," Harry said looking around the room.

"Do you know anything about her?" Hermione asked.

"Josephine?" Harry asked. "Um, no. Not really."

Hermione gave him a strange look. "Didn't she work here when you started training?"

Harry shrugged. "Who can remember back that far?"

"I can," Hermione said.

"Well, not everyone has a photographic memory like you," Harry said.

"No, they don't," Hermione said with a grin. "It's all right, I'll get to know her when she arrives."

"Great," Harry muttered.

His wife missed this as Lupin approached them. "That went well," he said.

"You always could give a great speech, Remus," Harry said shaking his hand.

"I'll miss this place," Remus said. "It's going to be strange not coming to work."

Hermione nodded. "But think of how much fun you and Tonks will have. You'll be able to travel and not worry about your assignments or staffing. You'll be able to read books you've always wanted to read, visit museums..."

"Sleep in?" Harry said, laughing.

"That too," Hermione said. "I'm actually quite envious, Remus."

"So you're not planning to step down anytime soon?" he teased.

Hermione shook her head. "I've entertained the thoughts from time to time, but there's still a lot of work to be done."

"You've been thinking of retiring?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Not seriously," Hermione replied.

"Oh..." Harry replied.

"Just sometimes I find myself sitting in my office looking at budget figures and wishing that I

was ona beach somewhere," Hermione said with a grin.

"We could do that, you know." Harry told her.

"Yeah?" Hermione asked.

"A beach?" Harry asked. "Anytime."

"We'll go someday," Hermione said smiling at him.

"Soon?" Harry asked.

Hermione nodded. "Once this budget is through, we'll see."

Harry nodded and put an arm around his wife.

"Oh, there's Josephine now," Remus said motioning toward the door. A tall, leggy blonde walked into the conference room.

"Wow," Hermione said. "Not what I expected."

"Whoa," Justin said in awe, nudging Ethan. "Look. At. Her."

"She's amazing," Ethan said, his eyes glassy.

Josephine spotted Remus Lupin and strode across the room.

"Hello, Josephine," Remus said warmly.

She gave him a hug. "Only you would get me back here after all these years."

"The power of a promotion," Remus joked.

"Well, I'm nothing if not ambitious," Josephine said. She turned her attention to Harry. "Potter.

You haven't changed a bit."

"Neither have you," Harry replied uncomfortably.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. Harry had said he did not remember this woman. "You must be Josephine Hilson. I'm Hermione Potter."

"Potter?" Josephine raised an eyebrow. "My, my..."

Hermione extended a hand. "It's a pleasure to welcome you back to the Ministry."

"Thank you," Josephine replied, shaking her hand. "I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on around here."

"You're not in charge yet, Josie," Harry told her tersely.

Josephine sent a charming smile at Harry. "Never said I was, Potter."

"How about I show you around?" Remus said to Josephine. "Help you get settled?"

"Sure," Josephine said. "It was nice meeting you, Hermione. And nice seeing you again, Harry."

Josephine linked her arm in Lupin's. Harry watched the two of them leave the room, under the watchful, curious eye of his wife.

"Josie?" Hermione asked once they'd left.

"How about some coffee?" Harry asked.

"Don't avoid the subject," Hermione crossed her arms.

"It looks like they have biscuits, too," Harry said making a move for the refreshment table.

"Harry," Hermione said sharply. "If you don't tell me what's going on, I'll just ask her."

"She was at Hogwarts with Cho, Neville, Ron and me," Harry replied.

"And?" Hermione pressed.

"She was a year ahead of us," Harry replied. "Ravenclaw."

"Did you date her?" Hermione asked.

"Dating?" Harry asked innocently. "No."

Hermione levelled a stare at him.

"It was nothing," Harry said. "I might have used her to make Cho jealous at one point."

"Harry," Hermione said disapprovingly.

"I was sixteen at the time," Harry said in his defence. "Cho and I had been fighting and Josie fancied me so I used it to my advantage. I'm not proud of it, Hermione."

"No wonder she didn't seem overly happy to see you," Hermione commented.

"You think?" Harry asked dryly.

"It'll be interesting if she's chosen to head up the department," Hermione said. "You'll be reporting to her."

"I'm aware," Harry replied.

Hermione resisted the urge to laugh at her husband. He was obviously disgruntled at that thought.

"You look like Ethan right now," Harry told her. "He was getting a kick out of this, too."

"You're so funny when you're upset," Hermione was amused.

"Am I?" Harry asked, folding his arms.

"Yes," Hermione chuckled. "You and Saffron are so alike."

"How's that?" Harry asked.

"When you're annoyed," Hermione said. "You both get this look in your eyes, and a set to your mouth."

"And we both don't like getting called on it," Harry said.

Hermione shook her head. "Merlin forbid..."

"I think I need that coffee now," Harry said.

"I'll get it for you," Hermione kissed his cheek.

"Thanks," Harry said.

Hermione smiled at him as she headed over to the table.

Harry honestly did not know what the future held, but he had a feeling that Josephine Hilson was going to shake things up while she was here. Surely she was not still holding a grudge over something that happened when they were teenagers?

*** *** ***

Answers to readers' questions:

1) Where is Lexie?

Alexa is currently living abroad and traveling for her job. She is a freelance writer for a paper and gets to go to all sorts of exotic locations. She will enter back into the fic soon, via a phone call with Saffron.

2) Is there anything you wished you'd done differently or wish you had done in the story??

Amynoelle:

There are two for me-when we started writing the story of Gabriel and we brought in his mother, Samantha. I liked her character and wished that she was still alive.

Heaven: I wish that we hadn't let the RJ/Saffron fight go on as long as it did.

Amynoelle: I agree. And the thing with Ellie---originally, she was not going to be Andrew's. A part of me wishes we

could have dealt with that, but Andrew/Saffron had already gone through so much that it seemed cruel to add that on to them.

Andrew would have loved her regardless, of course, but it would have been a completely different story if she hadn't been his biologically.

Heaven: Yes and that was more due to readers being so upset over the thought of Ellie being Daniel's.

3) Is Oliver Wood still the headmaster at Hogwarts?

Yes he is and happily married to Mimi's mother.

4) Who is your favourite couple?

Other than H/Hr of course,

Heaven: Will/ Frankie and Andrew/Saffy.

Amynoelle: Jon/Allie and Andrew/Saffy.

5) Did you two consider just keeping Gabe together with Lexie instead of breaking them up, or was that just a done deal for the both of you?

We considered it, but in the long run felt it was better for them to not be a couple.

6) Same as question 5, but with Hans/Darla.

That was a tough decision---one of us was firmly Team Liam and the other was firmly Team Hans. But we eventually came to a mutual decision that we felt would make our readers and characters happy.

7) Which character do you must relate to? And did you base any character on your own personalities?

Heaven: For me- Frankie. When we were first writing, she was the same way I am- not wanting kids or marriage. But she definitely wised up whereas I still enjoy being single ;-) There's also a bit of me in Saffron, being a daddy's girl and stubborn to a fault.

Amynoelle: It would be a mixture of Hermione, Julie and Caroline. I am a bookworm like Hermione and like Hermione, I am not the best cook, even if it is my last name. And if things had turned out differently for me, I think I would have liked to be a teacher like Julie. But personality wise, I think I'm a lot like Caroline---sensitive to a fault but loves her family.

8) No pressure, of course, but I remember you guys mentioning that you were starting up another story a few months back. Is that still happening?

We do have two stories started, but we aren't happy with the way they are going, so they are on hold at the moment while we work on something else. They will be posted once we get further or finish them.

9) One of my questions is, well its not really a question but an observation. The situation that you have created with Zander and Ashley, might create problems later. Despite being with different partners at the moment they are just too much into each other. And it SEEMS that it is only a matter of time before they get together. If that does happen and the critics will jump and say "it was so obvious" etc. If not, then you'd be blamed for what JKR did with Harry and Hermione. Any comments?

One of the questions we were asked most is about Ashley and Zander.Unfortunately we can't answer that one right now or really hint to an outcome for the two of them or a lot of people would be upset at the spoilers.

10) Another thing I wondered about was why you brought back Frank and Alice only to "kill" them again. Neville got to spend three years with them, but as readers we hardly got to see them. Also reading about their gradual deterioration and final relapse would make sad but interesting reading. Flashback?

As for Frank and Alice, that was a hard decision for the two of us. One of our favourite parts of the original book series was seeing Neville's interaction with his parents. It was never intended to be permanent, unfortunately, and you will be seeing more flashbacks with Frank, Alice and Neville as we get ideas and work them in.

11) Lastly what's up with Ginny? Any chances of seeing her sometime?

At this point in time, we have no plans to bring her in again unless we find a new way to disgrace her. You long-time readers know she is not nor will she ever be a favourite of ours.