Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thank you guys for reading! We didn't have a chance to do review replies this time, but we did read them. In this chapter, you will get to see what Nick has been up to and you get to see more of Frankie's Adventure in Babysitting. And for those of you who haven't reviewed, please just take a minute to tell us what you think at the end of the chapter. Pretty please? It only takes a moment and we really appreciate the comments!

"There you go Daddy," Ashley said. "I did your hair all nice!" she beamed at her father.

Nick swivelled around in his chair to get a better look at his daughter's handiwork. And he had to admit it didn't look quite bad.

"What do you think?" she asked biting her bottom lip in anticipation. "I didn't use all the hair gel..."

"Looks fantastic sweetheart," Nick gave her a hug. "You're pretty good at this." he tousled her blonde hair and pinched her cheek.

Ashley grinned broadly and pumped her fist in triumph. She and her younger sister were excited about finally getting to see her father perform. He had agreed at Molly's request to perform at the festival in Ottery St. Catchpole.

"There must be thousands of people out there," Katie said peering out of the door to the makeshift dressing room Nick was using. "I couldn't see Nana though."

"She's probably pretty busy right now," Nick said, disappearing into the closed off area he would get dressed in.

"I can't believe she cooked all that food by herself," Julie said. "Without any help whatsoever."

"Nana's pretty amazing," Nick slid into his leather trousers and white dress shirt. "How do I look?" he asked.

"Those trousers are really tight, Daddy," Katie said truthfully. "I think you should wear jeans."

Nick laughed. "I'd love to wear jeans." he grinned at the look in his wife's eyes. "But onstage I have to wear these."

"It's too bad Grandma and Grandpa couldn't come," Ashley said sitting down beside Greta.

"I know," Greta smoothed the young girl's hair back. "They're sorry they had to miss this."

Ashley looked over at her father who was busy talking to Julie. "Greta?" she asked her voice barely above a whisper. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can," Greta smiled at her. "You can ask me anything you want."

Ashley looked over at her parents once more to make sure they weren't listening. "It's about my dad's parents. I was wondering...well I was just wondering..."

Greta's eyes darkened and she struggled not to let her opinion of Nick's parents show.

"Katie and me have never met them," Ashley continued. "And Daddy never talks about them. I was just wondering if we'd see them when we were in Sydney."

"I wouldn't count on it love," Greta said gently. "They're not the nicest of people."

Ashley nodded and sat quietly for a few moments.

"We're their grandchildren though," Ashley said unable to grasp this explanation. "Grandma and Grandpa love us. And so do Nana Molly and Grandpa Arthur."

"And you're very lucky for that," Greta said. "Some people just... they just..."

"Don't like us?" Ashley asked with a sad expression on her face.

"It's not that they don't like you," Greta struggled to find the right words. "They're not nice people, and they don't like anyone but themselves."

"What are you two talking about?" Nick asked pulling on one of Ashley's plaits. "You look all secretive."

"Nothing Daddy," Ashley said quickly forcing a smile. "Nothing at all."

"Are you ready to hear your old man sing?" Nick teased.

"Sure," Ashley said quietly.

"And how about my baby Katie?" Nick asked his younger daughter.

Katie nodded enthusiastically. "Are you going to sing that song you wrote for Mummy?"

"I might," Nick laughed. "It is the one that made me famous."

"You were famous beforehand Nick," Julie argued, her face pink as she joined her family.

"Yeah but that one really put me on the map." Nick smiled at his wife.

A man poked his head inside the dressing room. "Ten minutes Mr. Malfoy," he said. "Your band is still warming up."

"Thank you," Nick replied. "I'd better start a few voice exercises myself." he went over to the other side of the tent and got himself some tea and began his own warm up.

"Grandpa Arthur said he'd save us some seats down front," Julie said to her daughters.

"So we get to see Daddy up close while he sings!" Ashley brightened up.

"That's right," Julie said grinning at them. "You did a really good job on your dad's hair, Ash."

"Thank you Mummy," Ashley sidled up close and leaned against her mother's shoulder.

"Don't tell him this but I think you do a better job than he does," Julie said in her daughter's ear. "But you cannot tell him I said that."

"It's our secret Mummy," Ashley promised.

Molly was out of breath when she pushed through the doors. "Oh good! You're all still here!" she exclaimed breathlessly. "I was so afraid I'd missed you."

"Nana!" Nick exclaimed.

"Nicholas," Molly said wanting to give him a bear hug but not wanting to ruin his dress shirt. "You look so handsome!"

"Thanks Nana." Nick grinned proudly. "Didn't my daughter do a fine job on my hair?"

"She did," Molly said grinning at her great-granddaughter.

"I could have fixed his hair," Katie said pouting.

"I would love to have seen what you would have done with it," Ashley said with a laugh.

"It would have looked better!" Katie shot back.

"No it wouldn't have," Ashley retorted. "The last time you fixed Daddy's hair it looked like he'd stuck his finger in the light socket!"

"All right," Julie interrupted hastily. "I'm sure Katie would have done a lovely job but it doesn't matter anymore."

Katie stuck her tongue out at Ashley.

"That's really mature Katherine Rose," Ashley said using her sister's full name which she knew would irritate Katie to no end.

"Okay Ashley Beth," Katie retorted.

"Girls," Julie said with a warning look. "Can you please get along for the next hour at least? I'd appreciate it and I know your father would too."

"I have a great idea," Nick replied. "How about both my girls come out on the stage with me?"

Both girls turned and stared at their father. "NO WAY!" they both exclaimed at the same time.

Nick laughed. "Yes way," he teased.

The same man came in and told Nick that he was needed on stage and Nick nodded. "And how about my beautiful wife, will she come on stage too?"

"Oh goodness Nick, you just take the girls up there and Greta and I will claim our seats," Julie turned red.

"Come on Mum!" Ashley urged. "You have to go with us!"

"No, no," Julie shook her head. "You two go on up there with your father and let him show off how gorgeous you both look today."

"Can I at least get a kiss for luck?" Nick asked.

"That you can always have," Julie pressed her lips to his.

Katie and Ashley waited impatiently as their mother and father kissed for what seemed like forever.

"Come on Daddy!" Katie said. "We're needed on stage!"

"All right baby," Nick said. "I'll see you after the show," he said softly to Julie.

"Break a leg," Julie said smiling at her husband.

"Why did you tell Daddy to break his leg?" Katie asked with wide eyes.

Julie giggled. "It's just an expression sweetheart. You say it to someone who's about to perform. It means 'good luck'."

"Oh," Katie said. "Well, break both legs Daddy!"

Nick smiled. "Thanks, Katie."

"Come ON Daddy," Ashley tugged at his hand.

Julie waved as her husband led her two daughters out of the dressing room. And then she, Molly and Greta hurried to get their seats that Arthur saved for them.

"He's been looking forward to this since Molly and Arthur asked him to perform," Julie told Greta.

"I know," Greta said. She wondered if perhaps she should tell Julie about Ashley's questions about her paternal set of grandparents.

"They're really proud of him," Julie said. "I am too. He's really such an amazing father you know?"

"He is," Greta said nodding. "I'm proud of him too, Julie. He didn't have the best childhood and look at him now."

"The girls absolutely adore him," Julie replied.

"Speaking of the girls," Greta said hesitantly. "Ashley asked about Nick's parents earlier."

"She did?" Julie's head snapped to look at Greta. "What did she ask? And why?"

"I think it's with all the talk about going back to Sydney for the tour," Greta replied. "And Nick's never talked too much about them to Katie or Ashley. I think she was curious if she'd see them while we're there."

"I hope we don't," Julie shuddered. "It's enough that they tried to come back and frame my mother and take her place as Minister that one time..."

"I know," Greta said. "But perhaps it might be a good idea to talk to the girls about them. You know how Ashley gets when she wants to find out something."

"Tell me about it," Julie said. Ashley had definitely inherited Hermione's inquisitiveness and bull headed reputation when it came to getting what she wanted.

"Look there they are!" Molly said tapping Julie on the shoulder. For the moment at least, talk of Ginny and Draco Malfoy were forgotten as she focused her attention on her husband and her two daughters. Katie was smiling and waving at the crowd while Ashley hung back a little and gave a shy smile.

"Before I start my show I'd like everyone to meet my two beautiful daughters!" Nick's voice boomed proudly over the din. Julie waved to her two girls as Nick introduced them.

"And you might know them better as the great-granddaughters of the woman who has helped feed all of today," Nick said grinning down at his grandmother. "Can we get a round of applause for Molly Weasley?"

An even more raucous round of applause sounded as Molly blushed red, quite pleased as everyone seemed to appreciate her cooking skills.

Nick gave his two daughters a big hug before sending them back to Julie and Greta. Ashley was blushing furiously. "That was so scary!" she whispered to her mother. "I didn't know there was that many people!"

Julie laughed. "You may not have liked it but I think your sister sure did."

"Big surprise there," Ashley said with a laugh. "She loves being the centre of attention."

"So do you Ashley," Katie argued, hearing every word of their conversation. "You told me the other day you like when everyone used to watch you play piano."

"Everyone in our family yes," Ashley clarified. "But not all these strangers that I don't know. It's different."

"All right girls," Julie said. "Daddy's singing- so let's watch him and not argue okay?"

Katie and Ashley agreed to a cease fire at least until after their father finished performing.

Julie watched her husband up on the stage and remembered when he sang to her at her birthday party.

When Nick finished singing that same song, he smiled at his wife. "That was for you, Jules."

Julie smiled back up at him. "I love you," she mouthed to him.

*** *** ***

Frankie's adventure in babysitting was coming to a close and she seemed to be getting through it okay. On the bright side, the girls were both still happy and healthy and the house was still in one piece. Allison and Jon were scheduled to return around six that evening and Frankie hoped that they had a good time. After spending the weekend with Caroline and Emma, Frankie had a new appreciation for what her sister went through on a daily basis.

On Sunday morning, she awoke to the sounds of Emma's cries.

Throwing on her dressing gown, Frankie stumbled into the nursery to get the baby.

"Emma," Frankie said wincing. "You did a poo again, didn't you?"

Emma continued to cry as Frankie lifted her up and carried her over to the changing station. "All better now," Frankie cooed after she changed the messy nappy. "All better..." she cuddled the infant closely.

Caroline came into the nursery rubbing her eyes. "Aunt Frankie? Are mummy and daddy back yet?"

"Not until tonight," Frankie said.

"I miss them," Caroline said with a yawn. She stood on her tiptoes. "Hi Em."

"I'm sure they miss you too," Frankie replied. "But you had fun this weekend right?"

Caroline nodded. "I still can't believe Grandma came to check on us. She looked really sick."

"I know," Frankie said, frowning. "And Ethan too. As if they couldn't believe that I could take care of you both on my own..."

"You did pretty good," Caroline said thoughtfully. There was a commotion in the sitting room and Caroline ran out hoping it was her parents arriving back early. To her dismay, it was a tall, slender young man around her aunt's age with brown hair. He was dusting the soot and ash off his clothes.

"Princess Jasmine, I presume?" he asked grinning at Caroline.

"Who are you?" Caroline asked suspiciously as Frankie came into the room behind her.

"Will!" she cried in surprise.

"I'm not too early am I?" Will asked coming forward and giving her a chaste kiss on the lips. He looked at Emma who was staring up at him from Frankie's arms. "Look at you with a baby. Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes."

"Sod it you," Frankie scowled. "I'm a good aunt."

"She's the best," Caroline said loyally standing beside Frankie.

"Yes she is," Will said winking at Frankie.

Frankie turned red. "Well um... Caroline I think Will has brought us some breakfast!"

"I heard that Princess Jasmine likes chocolate glazed doughnuts," Will said producing a box from behind his back.

Caroline nodded. "I love those!"

"I'm glad I picked the right ones then," Will grinned then looked back up at Frankie. "And for you..." he held up a bag. "Chocolate long johns..."

"My favourites," she said grinning at him. "But that stays between you and me, right?"

"Absolutely," Will promised, smiling at her.

"Would you mind holding Emma?" Frankie asked. "I need to get Caroline some milk and I need to fix Emma's bottle."

"Sure," Will agreed. "She's really cute!"

Frankie smiled and set about getting Emma and Will a glass of milk and then getting Emma's bottle ready. She was more than a little surprised when Will offered to feed the baby while she had breakfast.

"I have done this before," he told her. "Besides Emma is crazy about me, aren't you little one?"

"You say that about all the girls," Frankie teased.

"Just relax and eat your breakfast and let me and Emma alone," Will said holding out a free hand. "Come on Francesca. The bottle, please."

Frankie handed him the bottle and sat down next to Caroline. "Better enjoy these while they last, right Caroline?"

Caroline nodded. "These are really good. I might save one or two for mummy since it was her birthday yesterday."

"That's right," Frankie replied. "I guess it's a good thing you finished your special birthday surprise..."

"Special birthday surprise?" Will asked. "What did you make for your mum?"

"It's a picture book," Caroline answered, her face covered in chocolate. "And I put pictures in of us and then I drew some other ones."

"It's really good Will," Frankie said proudly. "We worked on it most of the day yesterday."

"I bet she'll love it," Will said, tipping the bottle up.

"You can see it after breakfast if you want," Caroline said helping herself to another doughnut.

"That sounds fantastic," Will replied. "So Princess, how was your magic carpet ride?"

"Really fun," Caroline said with a laugh.

Will grinned at Frankie. "Good to know," he said with a laugh in his voice.

They ate in silence for a few moments broken only be Caroline's innocent question.

"Are you my aunt's boyfriend?"

"Caroline!" Frankie exclaimed.

"Are you?" Caroline asked pointedly looking at Will.

"I'd like to think so," Will said with a glance at Frankie.

"I think Emma's finished with her bottle," Frankie said getting to her feet. "Let me take her from you."

The look Will gave her left her knowing they would talk later and she was avoiding his eyes as she left the kitchen.

"Thanks for the doughnuts," Caroline said after she'd taken her last bite. "They were yummy."

"It was my pleasure Caroline," Will smiled at the young girl.

"Are you going to go with us to the park?" Caroline asked. "Auntie Frankie was going to take me and Emma for a walk later."

"That sounds like a lot of fun," Will said. "Do they have swings there?"

"Yes," Caroline replied. "And this really big slide."

"I'd love to come with if your aunt doesn't mind," Will grinned at Caroline. "Do you think she likes having me around?"

Caroline nodded. "I think so."

Will laughed. "I should hope so. She just likes when I bring her breakfast."

"That's not the only reason," Frankie said coming back into the kitchen carrying Emma.

"Oh there's others?" Will teased her.

Frankie smiled at him before sitting Emma down in her bouncy seat. "There might be one or two others..."

"Can Will come to the park with us?" Caroline asked.

Frankie looked back at him. "If he wants to Caroline, he's welcome to join us."

"I don't know," Will said winking at Caroline. "All the other blokes will be right jealous of me walking around with the three prettiest girls in the world."

"Such a charmer," Frankie rolled her eyes as she buckled Emma back in her seat. "We'd need to get dressed before we can go anywhere. And it's cold out so we're talking cloaks and scarves."

"I'll go and get changed," Caroline said. "I want to check on Max too..."

"Who's Max?" Will asked.

"My dog," Caroline replied. "My Grandpa got him for me last Christmas. Aunt Frankie doesn't like him too much..."

"Well he's so crazy," Frankie pointed out. "All he does is jump up and down on you and he licks everything."

Will leaned forward so only Frankie could hear. "You've said that about me a couple of times as I recall."

Frankie turned red. "Come on Caroline, let's go get you changed." she said hastily.

Caroline scampered off to her bedroom and Frankie was about to follow her when Will grabbed her arm.

"Are you sure you don't mind me coming with?" he asked. "I don't have to if you don't want me to."

"I don't mind," she said. "I missed you this weekend."

"I did too," Will said putting his arms around her waist. "I really wish you could have come along."

"I will soon," Frankie replied. "I really don't want your parents thinking you made me up," she joked.

Will laughed. "Well, you don't have to worry about that. My parents are going to be in town next Friday evening. I sort of promised we'd take them out to dinner..."

"Next Friday?" she frowned. "I have a big meeting with the team that night..."

The smile on Will's face faltered a bit. "Frankie, you didn't mention anything to me about that. The last time you and I spoke you said we should definitely do something next weekend. And now all of a sudden you have a meeting?"

"I can't help it!" Frankie said defensively. "It's the PR meeting for next season- I have to get their schedules for their press shots and announcements, I have to arrange interviews with the magazines and newspapers... this is one of my busier times of the year Will."

"On Friday evening?" Will asked folding his arms.

"I didn't schedule the meeting the team manager did," Frankie replied petulantly.

"Okay," Will said. "How about Saturday? We could meet them breakfast, lunch or dinner. Your choice."

"I'll try," Frankie said noncommittally. "I'll know my schedule better by the middle of the week."

"Yeah," Will said trying not to show how frustrated he was. Every single time he suggested she meet his parents or anyone else in his family, there always seemed to be some big emergency or some meeting that she'd forgotten about. He might have been able to write it off as coincidence if it hadn't happened every single time.

"Look," Frankie tried to appease him. "Let's not argue about this today, all right? I'll push aside some things and I'll make sure I'm free at least one of those times. I promise."

"Okay," Will said forcing a smile. "You...you'd better go help Caroline. I'll stay with Emma."

"Thanks," Frankie went down the hallway to help her niece get dressed.

Will sat back down in front of Emma and wondered what was the reason behind Frankie's reluctance to meet his parents. Come to think of it, he'd only met HER parents when they'd run into them at a restaurant. He'd never met her sisters and this was the first time he'd ever met her nieces.

"All ready!" Caroline sang out, skipping back into the room five minutes later with Frankie in tow. Her hair had been neatly plaited and she was pulling her little red gloves on. "Aunt Frankie says since I was good I can bring Max!"

Will smiled at Caroline. "I can't wait to meet him."

"As long as you know once we get there you'll still have to take care of him," Frankie replied.

"I know," Caroline said. "You sound just like Mummy."

"Uh oh," Frankie laughed.

"Come on Caroline," Will said picking her up. "How about you and I go and get Max ready while Auntie Frankie here gets your sister ready?"

"Okay," Caroline gave him a hug. "You're fun Will. I like you!"

"Thank you Princess," Will said grinning back at her. "Let's go and get your royal dog shall we?"

"Okay," Caroline giggled as Will took her into the other room to get Max.

Frankie got Emma dressed warmly and was tucking her into the pram when Max tore past her towards the door.

Caroline and Will were laughing as they ran after him.

"He's just excited to go out!" Caroline said breathlessly. "Come here Maxi!"

The dog scampered around, his tongue hanging out as he looked at his little mistress.

"All right let's go before he tears the room up," Frankie pulled her own cloak on.

Will quickly put his own cloak on and then lifted Caroline up on his shoulders. He took Max's leash and they set off for the park.

"I can see everything from up here!" Caroline exclaimed in delight. "Will you're so tall!"

Will laughed. "I'm not that tall."

"You're as tall as my daddy," Caroline pointed out. "You have longer hair than him too."

"I keep telling him he needs to get it cut," Frankie chimed in over her shoulder.

"Can we play beauty salon later?" Caroline asked him eagerly. "I can make you look beautiful!"

"Beautiful?" Will asked. He looked up at the little girl. "How about handsome? Could you make me look handsome?"

"I think he's pretty handsome already," Frankie said with a grin. "What do you think Caroline?"

"He's not as handsome as my daddy," Caroline said tugging on Will's hair. "But he's kind of cute."

Will laughed. "Thanks Princess."

"You realize she's never going to let me call her anything else now," Frankie teased.

"I'll tell my daddy about this nickname," Caroline nodded. "He always says I'm his princess anyway!"

"What does he call Emma?" Will asked.

"His other princess," Caroline said. "All three of us are his princesses."

Will laughed. "Well I hope I get to meet your dad and mum someday."

"They're coming home tonight," Caroline said excitedly. "You can meet them then."

Frankie's grip on the pram tightened. "I don't know Caroline. That's a long ways away. Will might have something he has to do."

"I'm sure I can stick around," Will cut in. "I'd like to meet them."

"You don't have to do that," Frankie said avoiding his gaze as she strode along the sidewalk. "Allie's probably going to be knackered from the trip."

"I really don't mind," Will said pointedly.

"Okay," Frankie said. "But that's like six hours away, Will."

"I didn't make any plans for today," Will gave her a hard glance.

"Okay," Frankie said hoping that her brother-in-law wouldn't make any smart remarks about Will being the flavour of the month. But, she knew that wasn't what she was really worried about. Will meeting her family meant they were serious. And she wasn't so sure that's what she needed or wanted right now. "I guess that's settled then."

"Yay!" Caroline clapped her hands. "You'll like my mummy and daddy."

"Do I need to call them King Jon and Queen Allison?" Will asked. "Since their daughter is the princess..."

"No," Caroline giggled. "That's silly!"

"His Royal Highness?" Will asked. "Her Royal Highness?"

"I just call them Mummy and Daddy," Caroline said as Will set her down.

"Well I can't call them that, now can I?" Will asked her. "Because I have my own mummy and daddy. And I even have an older brother and an older sister."

"You do?" Caroline asked. "I'm the oldest over Emma."

Will nodded. "And I know you're a good big sister, aren't you? I bet you help out whenever you can."

Caroline nodded emphatically. "Mummy even lets me feed Emma sometimes."

"I'm impressed," Will said handing the little girl Max's leash. "Here you go Princess."

"Thanks," Caroline giggled. "Come on Max let's go on the slide."

Frankie silently pushed the pram over to the bench near the slide so she could keep an eye on Caroline. Before she sat down, she made sure that Emma was bundled up and to her delight she saw Emma was fast asleep. "She looks so peaceful," Frankie whispered to Will.

"She's gorgeous," Will pulled the blanket down just a bit.

"It's been really hard work being with the two of them this weekend, but I've actually enjoyed it," Frankie admitted surprising herself. "I found myself just standing in the nursery watching Emma sleep. That's so lame, isn't it?"

"Is that Francesca Longbottom being maternal?" Will asked, an amused smirk playing about his lips.

Frankie smiled and nudged him in the ribs. "I think I was just being a good aunt is all. No maternal feelings from me...."

"That's too bad," he said as they sat down on a bench together. Will put his arm around her, trying not to think of their earlier heated words.

"Why?" Frankie asked looking at him. "You getting any paternal feelings? You ready to settle down and have snot nosed sprogs of your own?"

"All depends on who wants to carry them for me," he grinned back at her.

Frankie vehemently shook her head. "Don't look at me."

"I like looking at you," Will replied. "You're gorgeous Frankie."

Frankie beamed at him. "Thank you. You know you're kind of easy on the eyes yourself."

"Tell me more," he said, leaning in.

Frankie inched closer to him. "You have these amazing brown eyes..."

"So do you," he said softly, pulling her in with his arm.

"And you are an outstanding kisser," Frankie said softly before pressing her lips to his.

Will kissed her back. He had been wanting to hold her all weekend- his bed had felt cold without her curling up next to him, muttering unintelligible words in her sleep. There was nothing more he liked than waking up next to her in the mornings and the more time he spent with Frankie the more he knew he wanted to be with her and only her.

Frankie pulled reluctantly away from him when she heard her niece call out to them.

"AUNT FRANKIE!" Caroline called out. She was atop the slide and wanted them to see her as she went down.

"We're watching Princess!" Will called with a wave.

Frankie watched not only Caroline's descent down the slide but also Will's face. She'd never known how great he was with children. And from what she could tell it wasn't an act. He seemed to genuinely like spending the day with her two nieces.

"Did you see?" Caroline asked running over to them. "I went really, really fast!"

"That was fantastic," Will got up and swung the little girl around. "You're very brave Princess."

Caroline giggled and wrapped her little arms around his neck. "Did you want to go on the swings with me?"

"That sounds like fun," Will replied. "Do you mind, Aunt Frankie?" he teased.

"No," Frankie said with a laugh. "You two go on ahead and I'll stay here with Emma and Max."

"We'll be back soon," Will promised as he shifted Caroline to his back and gave her a piggyback ride over to the row of swings.

Frankie watched them go and a strange feeling came over her. She started to think about what a great father Will would be someday. Not that she was looking to have a family with him or anyone else for that matter, she told herself.

After an hour of chasing Caroline around, the little girl pronounced that she was tired so they headed back to Jon and Allison's place.

"How about some hot chocolate?" Will asked once Frankie had settled Caroline down for a kip. Emma was still sleeping peacefully in her pram so they had decided to leave her in there.

"That would be lovely," Frankie said sinking down onto the plush sofa.

Will smiled at her as he disappeared into the kitchen. It was neat and small, so he had no trouble finding hot chocolate and making it quickly.

Frankie smiled at him as he came back into the sitting room. "You're pretty great, you know that?"

"Only the best for you," Will replied easily, settling next to her on the sofa.

They sat in silence for a few moments, each taking sips of their hot chocolate. Frankie could feel him watching her and she looked over at him. "What? Do I have whipped cream on my nose or something?"

"No," Will replied. "I can't look at my girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" Frankie asked nearly spilling her hot chocolate. "I thought we agreed that we weren't going to put a label on what we have."

"Why not?" Will argued. "We've been seeing each other for a long time Frankie."

Frankie leaned forward and set her mug down on the coffee table. "I know that Will."

"Are you ashamed of me or something?" he asked, setting his mug by hers. "Is that why you always come up with an excuse when I want you to meet my family? Is that why you don't want me to meet yours?"

"That's not it at all," she said quickly. "You know that's not the case, Will. We've just been really busy lately. And you have met my mum and dad."

"Only on accident," Will pointed out. "Frankie, I don't want to get in a strop over this. But I love you and sometimes I get the feeling that it's not mutual."

Frankie wished she could just run out of the house and not have to deal with any of this right now. But she couldn't.

"We had a good day Will," she said quietly. "Why do you have to spoil it by getting so serious all of a sudden?"

Will shook his head and sat back. "I guess I just got my answer," he muttered.

She felt herself getting angry. "I know what this is about. What this is really about is your being angry with me because I couldn't get away to meet your parents. You know I am a busy woman, Will. I have duties and responsibilities to my family; to my job. But you don't seem to understand that, do you?"

"I'm not talking about that," Will said, trying to remain calm. "I know I was disappointed you couldn't make it but this isn't about that."

"What's it about then?" she asked.

"The fact that every time I say I love you, you look away," Will replied. "Every time I talk about us, in terms of a relationship, you get all freaked out."

"That's not true," Frankie said defensively. "I just don't think we should label what we have and what we are to each other. That's all. That doesn't mean that I don't..."

"You don't love me," Will said flatly.

"That's not true," she protested.

"Then tell me you love me," Will replied intently.

"What?" Frankie asked. "Right here? Right now? You want me to tell you that?"

"Yes, I want to hear it from you." Will said.

Frankie took a deep breath and met his gaze. "I do love you Will."

His eyes softened. "I've loved you for a long time now Frankie."

"H-how long?" she asked.

He chuckled. "I don't remember exactly. I think one morning I woke up and realised that I don't want to live without you."

"Wow," Frankie said feeling that same uncomfortable feeling in her stomach again at his words. "I don't know what to say...."

Will leaned in and touched his lips to hers.

Frankie put her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. She didn't want to lose him and she did love him, but all of this scared her more than she'd ever admit.

He pushed her down onto the sofa, running his fingers through her hair as she ran her hands over his back.

"We can't do this here," Frankie whispered between kisses.

"Just a few more minutes," Will said breathlessly. "I can't wait to get you alone later."

Frankie smiled. "I can't wait either."

"It's been awhile since we made love," Will nibbled on her earlobe. "I've missed it."

"It's been way too long," she said giggling as he moved down to her neck. "That tickles...."

"I know every spot on your body Francesca," Will said softly.

"Mmmm," she murmured. "We really should stop before things get out of hand. I promised Allie."

"Right," he whispered.

"But I don't think she'd have a problem if we took a kip and cuddled," Frankie said softly.

"We don't have to move do we?" Will asked, eyeing a blanket spread over the back of the sofa.

"No," Frankie said. "I think we're nice and cosy where we are, don't you?"

"Works for me," he said as she snuggled next to him. He wrapped his arms around her. "You're the best thing in my life Frankie. I mean it when I say that."

"I know," she said closing her eyes. "I know Will."

He stroked her hair gently and he could tell a few minutes later that she was asleep.

It wasn't too much longer that he too fell fast asleep.

At just before six in the evening, the front door opened. "I still can't believe you had everyone in the restaurant sing to me. I was mortified!" Allison said taking off her cloak.

Jon grinned at his wife. "I can still surprise you, that's what matters."

"You certainly did," Allison said grinning back at him. "We're home!" she called out. "Caroline! Frankie!"

Frankie awoke with a start, forgetting for a moment where she was. "Allie!" she scrambled off Will, waking him in the process.

Allison and Jon linked hands as they went into the sitting room. They stared open mouthed at the groggy Will and Frankie.

"Mummy! Daddy!" Caroline called out excitedly running into the room. "You're back!"

"Hey baby," Jon swung his daughter up into his arms. "Were you a good girl this weekend?"

Caroline nodded and hugged her father tightly. "I missed you soooooooooooo much!"

"We missed you too Angel," Allison took her daughter as Frankie retrieved Emma from her pram.

"The house is in one piece I see," Jon teased his sister-in-law as he took the baby from her.

"I took good care of your girls Jonathan," Frankie said.

Will ran his hands through his longish hair as he stood. "Hi," he extended his hand to Jon. "I'm Will Barron."

"The famous Will?" Jon asked trying to hold onto the baby and shake Will's hand at the same time. "I was beginning to think you didn't exist."

"Yeah that's what my mum's said about Frankie," Will cast a glance at her.

"It's nice to meet you Will," Allison said sensing this was a tense subject for her sister.

"Allison right?" Will asked. "It's nice to meet you as well. I've heard a lot about you and your other sister from Frankie."

Allison smiled warmly at him.

"Will brought us doughnuts this morning," Caroline told her mother. "And then he took me and Aunt Frankie and Emma to the park and we went on the slide and we went on the swings and..."

"I think you have a fan," Allison told Will.

"Ah, the beautiful princess," Will grinned at Caroline. "The feeling's quite mutual."

Caroline beamed at him. "He's really cool Mummy."

Allison smiled at her daughter. "I'm glad you had a good time this weekend."

"I have a present for you too Mummy!" Caroline said. "Can I go get it?"

"Sure," Allison said setting her daughter down. "I can't wait to see it."

"You'll love it Allie," Frankie said. "She worked so hard on it."

Caroline ran back into the room with a package. "Happy birthday Mummy!" she said happily.

Allison sat down on the sofa with the package and smiled at her daughter. "Did you wrap this all by yourself?"

Caroline nodded eagerly. "Aunt Frankie helped me too."

Frankie stood beside Will as they waited for Allison to open the package.

"Oh sweetheart," Allison said looking at the scrapbook. "This is...this is..."

"Great job Angel," Jon said to Caroline. "When you leave your Mum grasping for words, you've done a good job."

"I drew all the pictures!" Caroline said proudly. "And Daddy gave me the photos of us. And then I put them in the book together."

Allison turned the pages and felt tears come to her eyes. "Thank you, Caroline."

"I'm glad you like it Mummy," Caroline gave her a big hug.

Jon sat down with Emma so he too could take a look at the finished product.

Frankie was thinking she and Will should leave when Caroline asked her mother if Will and Frankie could stay for dinner.

"We don't have to," Frankie said. "Allie, you and Jon just got home. I'm sure you don't want to entertain Will and me..."

"Nonsense," Allison said. "We would love to get to know Will better."

"Ditto," Will grinned. "I'm glad to finally meet some of Frankie's family."

"The first thing you should know Will is that anything she's told you about us is wrong," Jon said. "All lies."

"Jonathan Weasley!" Frankie put her hands on her hips. "I do not lie!"

"If you said that I was your favourite brother-in-law, then no you wouldn't be lying," Jon said. "But I think you're more partial to Tosh than me."

"I don't know," Frankie grinned wickedly at him. "I rather like guys who let their daughters put curlers in their hair."

Allison and Caroline started to laugh and Jon turned a shade of red that nearly matched his hair. "Caroline told you about that, eh?"

"Mmmhmm," Frankie hummed.

"It was just that one time," Jon defensively.

"Sure it was Jon," Frankie said breezily.

"If it makes you feel any better Jon," Will said. "One of my nieces once painted my fingernails. I didn't want her to but she gave me the puppy dog eyes and I couldn't resist."

"I guess we all have our little secrets," Jon said, passing Emma to his wife. "So Frankie, did you eat all our food or did you leave something for us for dinner tonight?"

"No," Frankie said glaring at him. "You have plenty left, Jonathan. You know you should be nice to me. I saved you two this weekend."

"And we're forever grateful," Jon quipped, grinning at Will.

"That's more like it," Frankie said with a grin.

"Maybe we should just order a pizza or something," Allison suggested. "I'm not in the mood to cook."

"I'm always up for pizza," Will replied. "I saw a little place on the corner- Frankie and I can go get a few pies while you guys settle back in." he looked at her. "How does that sound?"

"You're talking about Mario's," Jon said. "We're on a first name basis with him. You just go in there and tell him you want the Weasley special and he'll know what to do."

"Sounds good," Will replied. He and Frankie got into their cloaks and left.

Allison grinned at her husband. " So what did you think?"

"Seems like a nice bloke," Jon said. "I wonder why Frankie never wanted us to meet him."

"You know how Frankie usually is," Allison said thoughtfully. "Once things get serious, she gets out. But this is one that apparently knows that and keeps coming back for more. I think we'll be seeing more of Mr. Barron."