Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: We're glad you lot enjoyed the last chapter, and in this one we bring you Hannah and then we see a little of Julie and Oliver.

Also, Coolman has generously set up a community where you guys can go talk about the series- we of course hope it won't deter you from reviewing here ;) But if you have other questions, or want to debate something, you can do it there! Amy and I have both joined and hope to interact with you all there.

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=24168427

See you on Saturday!

Hannah awoke the next morning to find there was snow on the ground. She loved the snow and couldn't wait to get out and play in it. She slid on her slippers and went downstairs to ask her parents if they'd seen the snow.

She was almost to the kitchen when she heard Frankie and Will talking.

"She's going to be five this year," Frankie was saying. "She really should have been enrolled in preschool already. I just hope it's not too late for them to accept her."

"You spoke with Julie, right?" Will asked. "Did she have any recommendations?"

"A few," Frankie answered. "One in downtown London, and one just outside the city."

Will picked up a brochure and thumbed through it. "This one really seems nice."

"I thought so too," Frankie agreed.

"And it's near your office," Will said smiling at her.

"Which I definitely like," Frankie said. "I can easily pick her up that way."

"She's come so far in such a short time," Will said.

"I am so proud of her," Frankie said, making Hannah stand up a little straighter. "And I can't believe I've known her now for almost five months. I can't believe just a year ago I was freaking out over the possibility of having a baby and now we have a four year old daughter."

"You're a great mum," Will said leaning in and giving her a kiss. "I always knew you'd be."

"Thanks baby," Frankie said, finally noticing Hannah. "Hey you," she smiled. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I-I saw the snow," Hannah said shyly.

"I see," Frankie gave her daughter a hug. "How about some breakfast and then you can go out and play if you like?"

Hannah nodded. "Can I have some cereal, please?"

"You sure can," Will replied. "What will it be this morning, Cheerios or Frosted Flakes?"

"Cheerios," Hannah said sitting down.

"Good choice," Will smiled as he got up.

"I'll get you some juice too," Frankie said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Can I have orange this morning?" Hannah asked.

"Absolutely," Frankie said. "Did you sleep well last night, baby?"

Hannah nodded. "And I got really excited when I saw the snow."

"Me too," Frankie said. "I'll have to show you how to make snow angels."

"I think I made those once," Hannah replied.

"With your mum?" Frankie asked.

Hannah nodded. "Thank you," she said to her father as he set her cereal in front of her.

"You're welcome," Will said smiling at her before sitting back down.

"There is something we were hoping to talk to you about," Frankie said.

"What?" Hannah asked her mouth full.

"Well," Frankie began. "You know how Daddy's been helping you with your ABC's and your reading?"

Hannah nodded.

"You'll be starting primary school in a few months and we want to make sure that you're on the same level as the other children," Frankie said after considering how she wanted to break this news to her daughter.

"School?" Hannah asked. "Like Caroline? What about Em?"

"Em's almost two years younger than you," Frankie said. "But yes, you'll be starting kindergarten really soon and we want you to be ready, Hannah."

"Oh," Hannah said. "Will it be hard? How long do I have to stay away from you?"

"Just during the morning and a little part of the afternoon," Frankie explained. "And it will be hard, but you're such a smart girl, Hannah."

"Which is why we were thinking of enrolling you in a preschool program," Will told her.

Hannah stopped eating. "But you won't be there too?"

Frankie shook her head. "No, but either me or Daddy will always take you to school and pick you up each day."

"I want you to stay with me," Hannah said softly.

"Come here, baby," Frankie said holding out her arms.

Hannah slid off her chair and went to her mother. "I'm scared of going there without you or Daddy."

"You're not going to go in there by yourself," Frankie said picking her up. "We'll be with you that first day and you're going to make some new friends."

"Friends?" Hannah perked up.

Frankie tweaked her nose. "Friends. Lots and lots of friends."

"I hope so," Hannah said. "I hope everybody likes me."

"They're going to love you," Frankie said. "And you know what? Everything you learn, you can tell Em."

Hannah brightened even more. "I can do that!"

Frankie gave her a hug. "I know you can."

"Em will love that," Will said.

"Can we still play in the snow?" Hannah asked her parents.

"Of course," Frankie said. "I think we could take your Daddy on in a snowball fight."

"Two against one?" Will asked dramatically. "No fair!"

"We'll go easy on you," Frankie said.

"Only if Hannah will switch sides in the second round," Will said with a grin.

"Okay," Hannah agreed.

"I see how it is," Frankie teased her. "You'll turn on me just like that?"

Hannah giggled. "I just want it to be fair, Mummy!"

"Good deal," Frankie kissed her cheek. "Why don't you finish your breakfast, and then we'll all get dressed and head outside?"

"Okay," Hannah agreed scampering back to her chair.

Once Hannah had gone to get dressed, Frankie leaned over. "There isn't enough snow out there to do what she wants to do... can you make some more?"

"I think so," Will said smiling at her.

"Great," Frankie gave him a kiss.

"You handled that really well," Will said to her. "Telling Hannah about school and all."

"I'm glad she wasn't completely resistant to the idea," Frankie pushed his hair out of his eyes. "I'd love nothing more than to keep her here with me all the time..."

"It will be good for her to be around other children," Will said thoughtfully.

"Aside from her cousins," Frankie agreed. "I want her to make all sorts of friends Will."

"She's going to," Will reassured her. "How could anyone not love Hannah?"

"The concept is completely foreign to me," Frankie gave him another kiss. "Come on, let's get dressed... I'm really not one to trounce around in the snow but if it's what our girl wants, I'll do it."

"I do seem to remember this girl who yelled at me for an hour last year when I threw one small snowball at her," Will teased.

"And if you do it again today, it'll be two hours," Frankie poked him.

"That's not any fun, Frankie," Will said poking her back.

"William," Frankie laughed. "You're asking for it."

"You go and help Hannah," Will said laughing. "I'm going to go make some more snow."

"All right," Frankie gave her husband one more kiss before heading upstairs.

Hannah had put on her Puddlemere sweatshirt and a pair of jeans and was pulling on her socks when Frankie came into the room.

"Hi, Mummy," she said smiling at her.

"Hi baby," Frankie answered. "Are you almost ready?"

Hannah nodded. "Can you help me with my snow boots?"

"Sure," Frankie said. "But how about you help ME get ready first? I don't have any idea of what I should wear in the snow!"

"Something warm," Hannah said grabbing her mother's hand. "So you don't get cold."

"So no shorts?" Frankie joked.

Hannah giggled. "No shorts or skirts."

"Well that rules out most of my wardrobe," Frankie said. "How about I wear jeans like you?"

"Probably a good idea," Hannah said following Frankie into the master bedroom.

"Okay," Frankie said. "Now how about you pick me out a jumper?"

Hannah nodded eagerly and stood in front of the closet looking thoughtfully at her mother's clothes.

Frankie disappeared into the loo to get dressed. "Any winners?" she called.

"How about this red one?" Hannah asked. "The one that's so soft?"

"Sounds good to me," Frankie said, peeking around the door. "Mind bringing it over to me?"

Hannah pulled the jumper off the shelf and walked it over to Frankie. "Here you go."

"Thanks baby," Frankie replied, closing the door.

Hannah decided to take one more look at the snow and jumped up on the window seat to get a better look.

"Mummy!" she squealed. "Mummy look!"

Frankie hurried out of the loo. "What is it?"

"It's snowing some more!" Hannah was bouncing up and down on the window seat. "Look!"

"So it is," Frankie said with a grin. "So it is."

"I can't WAIT!" Hannah said happily. "I never saw it snow this much!"

"Let's go and get you in your boots so we can go outside," Frankie said tickling her side.

"Kay," Hannah reached up for her.

"I love you, baby," Frankie said picking her up.

"I love you too Mummy," Hannah rested her head on Frankie's shoulder. "A whole lot."

"Come on you slowpokes," Will said from the doorway.

"We're coming," Frankie said. "Hannah was just looking at the snow."

Will handed Hannah her coat and scarf. "And don't forget your gloves. I think they're in the pockets."

"Okay Daddy," Hannah said, pulling it on and then sticking her hands into her mittens.

It wasn't long before the three of them were all ready to go outside. The wind whipped at Frankie's face but she could stand the cold if it meant seeing her daughter this happy. Her laughter was like music to Frankie's ears.

"We have to build our walls," Will said. "For a proper snowball fight."

"How do we do that?" Hannah asked.

"Well we pack the snow like this," Will told her, kneeling down.

"We want to make snow angels first," Frankie said. "Did you bring your camera out?"

"Girls," Will said in exasperation. "I'll go and get the camera."

"Thank you baby," Frankie kissed his cheek.

Will walked back towards the house and Hannah sat down on the snow. "My mummy loved the snow."

"I bet that's where you got it from," Frankie smiled at her. "Come on; let's surprise Daddy by making our snow angels before he gets back."

Hannah nodded and lay back on the snow.

"You know how to do it right?" Frankie asked, also lying back.

"I think so," Hannah said.

"You just lie back, and then spread your arms and legs over and over again," Frankie answered. "Watch me..."

Hannah sat up and turned around to look at her mother. "Oh..."

"See?" Frankie asked. "And then the hard part is getting up without ruining it."

Hannah lay back down on the snow and imitated Frankie's movements.

"Perfect," Will had come back out and trained the camera on them. "That's a great shot."

"Hi, Daddy!" Hannah said waving her arms back and forth.

"Hey sweetheart," Will grinned, taking a few more shots of just his daughter. "Your angel looks great!"

"Thanks," Hannah said. "Can you help me up so I don't mess up my angel?"

"I'll help you," Frankie stood up and took her daughter's hands.

Hannah looked back and saw that her angel was still intact. "It looks pretty!"

"Just gorgeous," Frankie grinned.

"That's for my mummy," Hannah said softly.

"I'm sure she's a beautiful angel," Frankie kissed her cheek. "Just like her daughter is a beautiful angel too."

"I miss her everyday," Hannah said as a tear fell down her cheek.

"It's okay baby," Frankie said. "We understand that you miss her. She was your mummy and you loved her."

Hannah wiped at her eyes. "Thanks, Mummy."

"I'm happy that you at least had enough time with her that you'll always remember," Frankie kissed her cheek.

Will held his hands out and Hannah went to him. "And we're going to help you create a bunch of new memories, baby."

"I love you both," Hannah said. "Everything's been really happy since I came here, 'cept the nightmares."

"They'll stop," Will reassured her.

"I hope so," Hannah reached for him.

"You know what will help them go away," Will asked picking her up.

"What?" Hannah asked.

Will carried her behind the wall he'd made. "Getting your mum."

"What?" Frankie asked having caught what he'd just said.

"Come on," Will grinned at his daughter. "She doesn't know..."

Hannah picked up some snow and formed it into a ball while Will did the same.

"On the count of three," Will told her. "One...two...three!"

"WILLIAM BARRON!" Frankie screamed as she was pelted with snowballs.

"Francesca Longbottom Barron is such a girl!" Will called back.

"Wanker," Frankie called back quickly making a wall for her own attack. "You're asking for it!"

Hannah ducked behind the wall and helped her father make more snowballs. She was having such a good time.

"Come on," Will whispered. "With a spell, all these will fly over at once."

"Really?" Hannah asked.

"Shall we?" Will asked with a grin.

Hannah nodded eagerly.

"Okay, William," Frankie announced. "You're going to pay..."

"Now!" Will cast the spell and at least twenty snowballs went flying towards his wife.

"Umph!" Frankie yelped ducking back behind the wall. "WILLIAM!"

Hannah began to giggle. "We really got you Mummy!"

"Very funny, very funny," Frankie said dusting herself off. "You got me..."

"Now I have to go be on Mummy's side," Hannah said. "Okay Daddy?"

Will laughed. "Okay, off you go."

"Now," Frankie grinned at her daughter. "It's time for revenge!"

"Daddy did a spell that made them go at you," Hannah whispered.

"He used magic?" Frankie asked in disbelief. "That's so unfair!"

"We could do it back," Hannah suggested. "Make even more than he had!"

"Excellent idea," Frankie said pulling out her wand. "We make a great team, Hannah."

Hannah nodded happily. "I'll make more snowballs," she said.

"That's my girl," Frankie said.

"All right you two!" Will called out.

"Follow my lead," Frankie whispered to Hannah.

"Okay," Hannah whispered back.

"On the count of three," Frankie said. "We're going to yell 'Daddy's going down!' and then just PELT him with all these snowballs okay?"

Hannah nodded excitedly. There had to be at least fifty snowballs.

"One... two... THREE!" Frankie yelled.

"DADDY'S GOING DOWN!" Hannah screamed in unison with Frankie.

"What?" Will nearly fell over in laughter. "Frankie what was--" his words were cut off as he was ploughed over with snowballs.

"Not bad for two girls, eh?" Frankie asked him.

"Damn..." Will shook the snow out of his hair. "This calls for revenge!"

"Truce!" Frankie called out.

"Oh no," Will laughed.

"What's a truce?" Hannah asked her mother.

"Where both sides give in," Frankie said. "Do you want to surrender?"

Hannah thought about this. "Yeah."

"You don't want to give him another set?" Frankie asked.

"We got him pretty good," Hannah admitted.

"You're a sweet girl," Frankie kissed the side of her head. "All right Will, Hannah wants a truce."

"And I had just reloaded," Will said standing up from behind the wall. "Oh well..."

"Daddy we got you really good didn't we?" Hannah asked.

"Yes you did," Will said. "How about we go inside and have some hot chocolate?"

"Your special hot chocolate Daddy?" Hannah asked. "Pretty, pretty please?"

"How could I say no to that?" Will asked picking her up.

"This is a really good day," Hannah said happily.

"The best day," Frankie said smiling at them. "One of the best ever."

"I think every day is getting better," Will said as they went back inside. "Especially with you here, Hannah."

Hannah beamed at him. "I don't ever want to go anywhere else ever."

"You won't have to," Frankie answered.

Hannah took off her mittens and then kicked off her boots. "I'm gonna go get my blankie."

"Okay," Will watched her go as he reached for the hot chocolate mix.

"I could have done without your snowball attack, but that really was fun," Frankie said sitting down.

"What about yours?" Will asked with a grin. "Daddy's going down?"

Frankie shrugged. "You left me no choice, William."

"It was pretty funny," Will said, pouring milk into the mugs.

"The look on your face when you went down!" Frankie giggled.

"Next time it's all on you," Will grinned at her. "You're lucky I love you so bloody much Francesca."

"I know I am," Frankie said smiling dreamily at him.

"I got my blankie," Hannah announced from the doorway.

"Can I snuggle under there with you?" Frankie asked.

"Okay," Hannah giggled as Frankie lifted her onto her lap.

Hannah leaned back against her mother, feeling warm and happy and safe.

"And here's your special hot chocolate," Will put it down. "With extra marshmallows, of course."

"Yay!" Hannah exclaimed.

"And the non fat version for my wife," Will said saucily. "With no marshmallows, made with non fat milk."

"Just like I like it," Frankie said winking at him.

"And the extra marshmallow one for me as well," Will sat down next to them. "What else do you want to do today, Hannah?"

"I don't know," Hannah answered.

"We could go to a movie," Frankie suggested.

"Is there anything you want to see?" Will asked Hannah.

"I don't know what's there," Hannah answered.

"Let's check the Muggle paper," Frankie said. "Perhaps there's a new Disney film playing."

Will grabbed that morning's paper and handed it to Frankie.

"Let's see," Frankie mused. "Oooh Hannah! There's an older theatre near Piccadilly that's showing The Little Mermaid and then right after that, Beauty and the Beast!"

Hannah nearly spit out her hot chocolate. "Really?"

Will chuckled. "Yes," he answered. "Sound good to you?"

Hannah nodded eagerly. "This really is the best day!"

"We'd best get ready," Frankie said. "It starts in an hour and a half."

"Okay, Mummy," Hannah said sliding off of Frankie's lap and bringing her blanket with her.

"I've got to take a shower," Frankie replied. "Hannah you can get yourself changed, right?"

"I think so," Hannah said. She lingered a few moments after Frankie had gone upstairs and she looked at her father. "Daddy?"

"Yes sweetheart?" Will asked.

"Were you...scared before you went to school?" Hannah asked hugging her blanket protectively.

Will thought for a moment. "I suppose I was a bit nervous, but I liked it once I got there."

"I'm sorry I haven't learned things as fast," Hannah said looking down at her feet.

"Hey," Will leaned over. "You're learning things just fine Hannah. You're a very bright girl."

"I want to be smart just like you," Hannah said still looking down.

"If you put your mind to it, I have no doubt you will be," he answered. "And you know anytime you need help, I'll be here, right?"

Hannah nodded. "I really do like it when you read to me."

"And I really like reading to you," Will grinned at her.

"You do the funny voices," Hannah giggled.

"Like this?" Will deepened his voice. "When the giant comes into his house after Jack climbs the beanstalk?"

Hannah laughed. "Yes!"

"Or maybe when I make it like this?" Will asked. "Like the wicked queen in Snow White?"

"Or when you do the Three Little Pigs one," Hannah said giggling. "Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin!"

"Is that your favourite?" Will asked, tickling her.

Hannah laughed even harder. "Yeah!"

"I'm glad you like reading," Will said. "I'll teach you everything I can, okay?"

Hannah gave him a hug. "You're the best, Daddy."

"So are you," Will replied, holding her close.

"I'm glad you're my daddy," Hannah said resting her head on his shoulder.

He kissed the top of her head. "You have no idea how glad I am that you're my daughter," Will answered. "When I thought about having kids, you're just like the daughter I always wanted."

Hannah smiled. "Really?"

"Absolutely," he answered.

"When we get back from the movie can you read some more of that fairy tale book to me?" Hannah asked.

"Sounds good," Will agreed. "But you'd better get changed. You know your mother takes forever but she might surprise us one of these days."

"Probably not," Hannah said giving him one more hug. "Thanks, Daddy.'"

"You're very welcome, baby." Will said, pulling out his wand to clear the table.

Hannah hurried upstairs and wondered how this day could possibly get any better. "They're taking good care of me, Mummy," she said looking up. "Really good care of me."

*** *** ***

Julie stood in front of her classroom going over her lecture on the Grindylow. She'd met with Hagrid earlier that day and he'd given her one so she'd be able to show her third-year students. They, however, seemed more intent on looking at the Grindylow than listening to anything she had to say.

"Good afternoon, Professor Malfoy," the Headmaster said from the doorway. "I hope you don't mind if I observe your class?"

"Not at all," Julie replied warmly.

Oliver smiled and sat down in the rear. "Please just act as if I'm not here."

Julie pointed out some of the features of the Grindylow for her students. "Now we're very lucky that Hagrid was able to get us this one because unlike most Grindylows, this one has been domesticated."

"Didn't your dad see those during the Triwizard Tournament?" one of the Hufflepuffs asked her.

"Yes he did," Julie nodded. "They're in the lake, and it's part of the reason I brought one in today. They can be very dangerous."

"I'm surprised the Giant Squid hasn't eaten them all," one of the students commented, causing some of the other students to laugh.

Julie grinned. "According to Hagrid, the Giant Squid is a vegetarian," she joked.

Oliver laughed along with the students. She really was born to be a teacher and the students seemed to really relate to her. Oliver had a feeling that this hade to do with the fact that she was the youngest member of the staff.

"Okay," Julie announced. "For the remainder of the class, you are to study the movements of the Grindylow and write down your observations. Does anyone have any questions?"

The class as a whole shook their heads and moved in to watch the little creature.

"Wonderful job," Oliver said warmly as he approached her.

"Thanks," Julie said smiling at him. "I didn't know you would be doing the evaluations this late in the term?"

"It's more of a friendly visit," Oliver replied. "My reports were done for today and I had a bit of free time."

"And you didn't want to spend your time with Professor Snape?" Julie asked in mock surprise.

"I tried," Oliver shook his head in mock seriousness. "Can you believe he dislikes being evaluated?"

"Didn't you know?" Julie deadpanned. "He's perfect."

"Oh absolutely," Oliver fought his grin. "In fact, he's the best professor here on staff."

"Some might even say that HE should have been headmaster," Julie said trying to hide her grin. "Minister for Magic, even."

"That would be the day," Oliver shook his head. "Your mother has been one of the best things to happen to the Wizarding World."

Julie smiled. "I know I'm biased, but I think so too. She's one of the reasons why I wanted to be a teacher."

"I'm glad you decided to stay here at Hogwarts," Oliver told her seriously. "I know some professors were against the idea of me becoming Headmaster at first, but I hope I've done a good job this year."

"You have," Julie said. "You've done a great job, Oliver. Dumbledore has faith in you and you know that speaks volumes..."

"That and I have a great Deputy Headmistress," Oliver grinned at her.

Julie grinned. "Well, you know...."

"We make a good team," Oliver replied, looking at her intently.