Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: If you were missing Harry and Hermione, you get a nice flashback of them in this chapter. We hope you enjoy! Also, we would still love it if you wanted to sign up on the geni group--- http://www.geni.com/home. There are still some available characters. If you need help getting set up, just send us a note in the review and we'll direct you in the right direction!

Just inside the house, Harry was turning out the lights and locking up. He knew Gabriel and Alexa were still outside so he left the lights on the deck on and left that door open.

"Ready to go upstairs?" Hermione asked coming up behind him.

"I'm pretty beat," Harry nodded.

"Make sure to leave the door open for Gabe and Alexa," Hermione said. She watched the younger couple as they ran off down the beach.

"I will," Harry replied.

"Were we ever that young?" Hermione asked.

"Feels like a long time ago," Harry nodded.

Hermione came up behind him and rested her chin on his shoulder.

"You remember that very first time we came here?" Harry asked. "We rented this place..."

Hermione smiled at the memory. "You surprised me."

"I always did like seeing you that way," Harry grinned.

Hermione nudged him. "That's because you very rarely surprise me. I can usually tell when you're up to something. I couldn't tell that day, though."

"That cause I wouldn't say a word," Harry recalled.

Hermione remembered that day very well. She wasn't Minister then and Julie was only a year old. Harry had woken up that morning and told her that they were going somewhere, but had refused to tell her where. Hermione buckled the baby into the car seat and kissed Julie's forehead. "What is your Daddy up to, Jules?"

"Da?" Julie asked her.

"Did you hear that?" Harry chimed in as he sat down in the driver seat. "She said my name AGAIN."

"Please," Hermione rolled her eyes at her husband. "She's just making noise."

Harry turned around and grinned at his daughter. "What's my name, Jules?'

"Da!" Julie crowed.

Harry turned to look at Hermione. "You were saying?"

"Sod off," Hermione returned.

"Can you say 'jealous', Julie?" Harry asked as he started the car.

Julie laughed at him.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Hermione said shaking her head. "Why don't you tell me where you're taking my daughter and me?"

"I'm taking OUR daughter and you on a little road trip," Harry replied.

"Road trip?" Hermione asked.

Harry simply smiled.

"Da Da Da," Julie chimed in from the backseat.

Harry sent a sideways grin at his wife.

Hermione could not resist smiling back at him. "She's warming up to say my name."

"Sure," Harry chuckled.

"She is, aren't you, baby?" Hermione asked looking over her shoulder at her daughter.

"Daaaaaaaaaaa!" Julie screamed happily.

Harry chuckled. "She'll say it eventually, Hermione."

"You weren't the one in labour with her for over 20 hours," Hermione told him. "After all that, she says your name first. How is that fair?"

"Because she's a daddy's girl," Harry peeked at his daughter in the mirror. "If we have a son someday, I'm sure he'll talk to you first."

"He'll say your name first, too," Hermione said. "Maybe I'm working too much. Perhaps if I was around more..."

"I wouldn't object to that," Harry squeezed her hand in his.

Hermione smiled at him. "I have the next few weeks off. I'm not even going to think about work."

Harry kissed the back of her hand.

"It would help if I knew where you were taking us," Hermione said looking at him.

"You'll see," Harry replied mysteriously. "Just be patient."

"It's not one of my virtues," Hermione protested.

"Ron-Ron," Julie suddenly said.

Hermione stared at her daughter in horror. "What did she just say?"

"Nothing," Harry lied.

"She said RON-RON!" Hermione nearly shrieked. "She says RON'S name before she says MINE?"

"I didn't hear her say Ron's name," Harry said hastily. "She said---um, Wonton. You know like the soup? I bet she picked that up from the takeaway we ordered...."

Hermione glared at him.

"Wonton," Harry said, nodding.

"Do they serve wontons where we're going?" Hermione asked trying to catch him off guard.

"Maybe," Harry said with a grin.

"You are very, very infuriating," Hermione informed him.

Julie giggled happily from the backseat.

Hermione had to smile at her baby girl. "Are you having fun back there?"

Julie nodded and held out her hand to her mother.

Hermione reached back for it. "I love my girl," she made a face at Julie.

Julie giggled. "Ma-ma."

Hermione gasped.

"I told you," Harry grinned.

"Oh that's my smart girl!" Hermione felt tears well up in her eyes. "Who's my smart little girl, Julie?"

"Me," Julie replied.

"That's right," Hermione smiled.

"You know when I was coaching her, I was coaching your name too," Harry pointed out. "It wasn't completely one-sided. And I don't know where she got Ron's name from. Unless, he's been trying to get something in when I wasn't looking."

"He probably did," Hermione said, although her words were no longer laced in anger.

"So just sit back and enjoy the ride," Harry told her. "We have a ways to go."

"Oh?" Hermione asked.

"No hints, Granger," Harry told her. "You are the brains in our little operation, but I'm not going to let you pull one over on me."

"Just a little hint?" she wheedled.

"No," Harry said firmly.

"You are just infuriating sometimes," Hermione complained.

"Just because I know something you don't?" Harry asked.

"Exactly," she pointed out.

"Okay," Harry said. "I'll give you one small hint."

Hermione bounced excitedly. "What, what?"

Harry thought for a moment. "Well, where we're going..."

"Yes?" Hermione pressed.

"The sun will rise and set," Harry finished, earning himself a punch in the arm from his wife. "Ow, Hermione!"

"You deserved that," Hermione said.

"Just because you didn't like my hint..." Harry said.

Hermione crossed her arms and huffed.

"Okay, okay," Harry said stifling a laugh. He knew his wife so well. She absolutely hated it when she didn't know something. "Jules, what do you say? Should we give your mummy a good hint?"

"DA!" Julie screamed, kicking her legs.

Hermione looked at her husband. "In baby talk that means yes."

"Are you sure about that?" Harry joked.

"Yes," Hermione frowned at him.

"Okay," Harry said. "Where we're going you will see food."

"Harry!" Hermione exclaimed angrily as he began to laugh.

"What happened to the element of surprise, Mrs. Potter?" Harry asked her.

"I never much liked surprises," Hermione pouted.

"You will LOVE this surprise," Harry said confidently.

"Promise?" she asked.

Harry leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "I promise. This is just what you, me and Jules need."

"Okay," Hermione relaxed in her seat.

"In about 30 minutes I'm going to ask you to put this on," Harry said handing her a scarf. "Over your eyes..."

"Honestly--" Hermione began.

"Humour me," Harry interjected. "I planned this for you, Hermione."

Hermione nodded.

Harry grinned. He'd worked very hard to keep this a secret and he wanted to surprise his wife. They both worked very hard and this holiday was just what they needed.

The drive went by quickly and Hermione noticed they were heading south. "Are we almost there yet?"

"Yes," Harry said motioning to the scarf in her lap.

Hermione tied it over her eyes just as he'd asked her to.

In her car seat, Julie was fast asleep. Harry looked over at his wife. "This is killing you, isn't it?"

"Yes," she answered. "But I trust you."

"Good," Harry said as he pulled the car into the drive. "I'm going to get Julie out first, okay?"

"Now you're just torturing me," Hermione said.

Harry opened the car door and unbuckled Julie from her seat. The baby cried, upset that she was woken up. "Shhhh, Julie. It's okay. Daddy's here."

"Da?" Julie asked.

Harry grinned and kissed her soft cheek. "That's right. You ready to surprise Mummy?"

"Mama," Julie wiped at her eyes with her little fist.

Harry carried her over to the passenger side and opened Hermione's door. "Give me your hand, Hermione."

"Okay," she said, reaching for him.

With his free hand, Harry helped Hermione out of the car. "Okay, you can take off your blindfold."

She eagerly untied it and looked up at the house in front of her.

"Mama--" Julie reached for her.

"A house?" Hermione asked.

"A beach house," Harry said. "In Brighton...where you'll see food---as in seafood."

Hermione laughed. "Okay... that was a good clue."

"What do you think?" Harry asked.

"It's a lovely home," Hermione said.

"Wait until you see the inside," Harry said. Julie was still reaching for Hermione and he gingerly handed her over to his wife.

"Okay," she said, taking her daughter. "What's Daddy up to, baby girl?"

Julie tugged on her mother's hair.

"Come on," Harry grinned at her.

Hermione followed him up the steps.

"Here we are," Harry opened the door for her. "Ours for the next two weeks."

"Really?" Hermione asked.

Harry grinned. "Surprise."

"This place is huge," Hermione asked looking around.

"It's rented, but I did a few modifications on it," Harry replied.

"Show-off," Hermione teased.

Harry gave her a kiss.

"You got me," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I love you," Harry replied.

"I love you too," Hermione said softly.

"I'll show you the room I picked for Julie," Harry said. "And the one for us."

Hermione smiled at him. "Okay. Jules, let's go see what room your Daddy picked for you."

"Da," Julie babbled.

"You are definitely a daddy's girl," Hermione laughed as she carried the baby upstairs.

"Here we are," Harry pushed open a door.

He had set up a crib, changing table and a toy chest. The walls were painted very much like Julie's nursery at the cottage. "Harry---"

"Like it?" he asked.

"It's beautiful," Hermione whispered. "Where did you find the time to do all of this?"

"Didn't take me long at all, thanks to magic," Harry told her.

"But still---" Hermione said looking around in amazement.

"Surprise," Harry said. "Remember?"

"Yes," Hermione grinned.

"Let's let her kip," Harry said. "And I'll show you the rest of the house."

Hermione nodded. "Give Daddy a kiss, Julie."

Harry nuzzled Julie's soft cheek.

Hermione wound up the music mobile above the crib. Harry gently set her down. "Sleep well, my angel."

They crept out of the room as Julie drowsily blinked at them before falling back asleep.

"I think she likes it here," Hermione commented.

"I hope you will too," Harry said

"I like it so far," Hermione was saying as he opened another door.

Harry picked her up. "Mrs. Potter..."

"Harry," Hermione laughed.

"This would be our room," Harry said meaningfully.

"That would explain that huge bed over there," Hermione said grinning at him.

"Exactly," Harry said with a wicked smile.

Hermione closed her eyes as he kissed her.

"Come on," he whispered, carrying her to the bed.

"Harry," Hermione whispered.

He laid her carefully on the bed.

Hermione pulled him down with her.

"We haven't had a chance for this in awhile," he said huskily.

Hermione shook her head. "Way too long..."

"We can't let that happen again," Harry told her.

Hermione lifted her head off the pillow to kiss him. "Never again..."

It didn't take Harry long to undress both of them and work Hermione into a frenzy of tangled bed sheets.

"That's one way to christen a new house," Hermione said breathlessly.

"You know," Harry said, brushing his lips over her skin. "This house could be ours if you like it."

"I'm sure it's quite expensive," Hermione said looking at him.

"We can afford it," Harry said.

"Really?" Hermione asked softly.

"We can afford nearly everything we could ever want," Harry told her.

"That's never been important to me," Hermione said. "You know that."

"I know that," Harry said. "Just saying..."

"I would be happy with you in a one room shack," Hermione said touching his cheek.

Harry kissed her palm. "I know, love."

Hermione buried her face in his shoulder. She felt a little like that young girl who had snuck off to see him in his cabin at the resort.

Harry sighed contentedly, running his hand through her hair.

"I can see Julie spending her summers here," Hermione said thoughtfully. "Carrying around a little bucket to build castles with and collecting sea shells."

"What about our other kids that we'll have someday?" Harry asked.

"The doctor said it might be hard for us to conceive again," Hermione said softly.

"We can keep trying," Harry told her.

"But, what if---" Hermione started to say.

"None of those," Harry put a finger over her lips. "We'll have more children when the time is right."

Hermione nodded. "I want that so much."

"Me too," Harry gave her a light kiss.

"Julie is absolutely amazing, isn't she?" Hermione asked looking at him. "I never really knew how much I wanted to be a mum until I held her in my arms for the first time."

Harry smiled. "Sometimes I just sit and watch her sleep."

"Me, too," Hermione said.

Harry pulled her back into his arms. "We have a great little family, Hermione."

"We do," Hermione agreed. "And I was thinking---"

"Oi!" The couple heard someone shout from downstairs.

Harry groaned. "You've got to be kidding me..."

"Ron?" Hermione asked. "What is he doing here?"

"I told him about the place when I had just rented it," Harry explained, grabbing his jeans.

Downstairs, Luna set her bag down. "Ronald, I don't think anyone's here. Are you sure that this is okay?"

"Sure it is," Ron said breezily. "Harry told me all about the house."

"This house has a nice aura," Luna looked around.

"Sure," Ron said. "I wonder what the kitchen is like--"

"Harry!" Luna exclaimed when she saw him storm downstairs. "This is such a nice---"

"What the hell are you doing here, Ron?" Harry asked.

Ron rolled his eyes as if the answer should have been obvious. "Summer hols, mate. I have two weeks off from the shop..."

"But why are you HERE?" Harry demanded. "I rented this place for Hermione, Jules and me."

"Ronald?" Luna asked. "You said that Harry invited us."

"I TOLD Ron about this place," Harry said. "I didn't ask him to join us."

Luna folded her arms. "Ronald."

"I thought it might be a nice surprise..." Ron ventured lamely.

Hermione came downstairs carrying Julie.

"Ron-Ron!" Julie exclaimed excitedly when she saw him.

"Hey Jules!" Ron brightened

"I'm so sorry to interrupt your holiday, Hermione," Luna said. "Ronald said that we were invited---"

"In Ron talk, telling someone about something apparently means inviting," Harry glared at his best friend.

"You said that we could come down," Ron reminded him. "Remember? You showed me the photo and I said it looked brilliant and you said that Luna and I should drop by."

"Drop by, not stay," Harry looked pointedly at the bags.

"Oh," Ron said sheepishly.

"We're so sorry," Luna said. "Ronald-- let's go--"

Hermione shook her head. "No, Luna. Wait--"

"Stay," Harry said. "You're already here..."

"We wouldn't want to impose," Luna argued. "This is your family holiday."

"If he's offering, then let's stay," Ron hissed at her.

"Ron-Ron!" Julie reached for him.

Ron took his goddaughter into his arms. "You want us to stay Jules?"

Julie cooed happily up at him.

"I think that's a yes." Ron replied.

Hermione squeezed Harry's hand.

Ron looked over at the couple and noticed Hermione's hair and her wrinkled clothes. "I know what you TWO were doing..."

"Ronald," Luna chastised.

"Rabbits," Ron shook his head.

"Shut it," Harry warned him.

"For your information, we were unpacking," Hermione said to Ron.

"Would you show me a spare bedroom?" Luna asked, trying to change the subject. "Whatever one is available."

"Of course," Hermione said. "Ron, can you keep an eye on Julie for me?"

"Sure," Ron said. "We'll just go get something to eat."

"Big surprise," Harry muttered under his breath. He grabbed Ron and Luna's suitcases. He followed the two women upstairs.

"This looks nice," Hermione said, opening a door.

"I really am sorry about this," Luna apologised. "He said that we were invited."

"It's Ron," Hermione said. "We're sort of used to him by now."

"We're happy to have you," Harry said. "Julie is crazy about the two of you."

"And we more than half enough room," Hermione said.

"Thank you," Luna said gratefully.

"Someday maybe you and Ron can bring your sprogs here," Harry said setting the bags down on the bed.

"We've actually started talking about trying," Luna said softly.

Hermione smiled. "Have you?"

Harry grinned at Luna. "You sure you want to dip into his gene pool, Luna?"

Luna nudged him. "Of course I do."

"She and Ron will be great parents," Hermione said. "You see how great they are with Chiaki and Julie."

"I guess," Harry teased, setting the bags down.

"Harry James," Hermione said. "What are we going to do with you?"

Harry sent her a rather wicked grin.

Hermione blushed.

"On that note..." Luna smiled. "Perhaps I'll go join Ronald for a bite to eat."

"We'll be down in a minute," Hermione told her.

"Sounds good," Luna disappeared.

"At least we had a few moments alone," Hermione said to her husband.

"Damn Ron," Harry grumbled.

Hermione put her arms around him. "It's going to be okay."

"I know," Harry gave her a kiss.

"And we can practise for that new baby," Hermione said nuzzling his neck.

"Later tonight," Harry promised.

"And tomorrow," Hermione said pressing herself against him. "And the next day..."

"And the entire time we're here," Harry slid his arms around her.

"You're incorrigible," Hermione said smiling up at him.

"Tell me something I don't know," he whispered in her ear.

"I love you for doing this for Julie and me," Hermione said softly.

"I'll do anything to make you happy," Harry said. "And keep that gorgeous smile on your face."

"I love you," Hermione said.

"Love you too," Harry gave her a quick kiss.

"We should go and check on Julie," Hermione said.

"Sure," Harry agreed.

"And hear her say your name over and over," Hermione joked.

"I like that idea," Harry followed her out of the room.

"You know," Ron said as the two of them entered the kitchen. "You should buy this place, Harry. Then, we can use it every summer."

"We?" Harry asked pointedly.

"Yeah," Ron said oblivious to his friend's tone. "It would be perfect. Though, you really do need to go to the shops and get some more food."

"So I buy the house and the food and you just come and use it all?" Harry asked sarcastically.

Ron nodded. "Works for me."

"Yeah I don't think so," Harry shook his head.

"Ronald," Luna shook her head. "We can't impose like that."

"He invited us," Ron pointed out.

"We'll see," Harry said bluntly.

"Mum and Dad used to say that all the time and that always meant 'no'," Ron grumbled.

"And look at us now," Harry said, jolting Hermione out of her daydream. "Many years and kids later..."

Hermione smiled. "And still in this house."

Harry nuzzled her ear.

"And you're still incorrigible," Hermione whispered.

"And you're still irresistible," Harry told her.

Hermione smiled at him. "How about we continue this upstairs?"

"I like the way you think, Mrs. Potter." Harry said.

Hermione took his hand. "What are you waiting for?"

Harry picked her up in his arms. "Nothing."

Hermione laughed. "Harry!"

"Still light as a feather," Harry replied.

"Oh for Merlin's sake!" Ron exclaimed as he ran into them at the foot of the stairs. "Do you two ever stop?"

"Jealous much?" Harry asked smugly.

Ron shook his head. "Good night, rabbits."

"Night," Hermione laughed as Harry propelled them up the stairs.

"He's like a stray dog," Harry said to his wife.

"Eats everyone out of house and home?" Hermione asked.

"And never goes away," Harry said.

*** *** ***

"Belle?" Emma asked. "Are you here?"

"Yes," Hannah said with a grin.

"Sleeping Beauty," Emma read from her list.

"Here!" Casey raised her little hand.

"Snow White?" Emma looked up. "Snow White! Where are you?"

Sukie raised her little hand. She and Mas were visiting for the day with Chiaki and Toshio.

"You're late, Snow," Emma told her.

Sukie giggled. "No late, Em."

"It's okay, Em." Hannah said. "She couldn't help it."

"Kay," Emma said. "But remember... I'm Princess Ariel now!"

"Oh," Hannah apologised. "Right. Um, and we would like to welcome our newest member, Chloe."

"Princess Jasmine," Emma said. "Since Sissy got bigger."

Chloe beamed at her cousin. "I like that one!"

"Good," Emma grinned. "Now to business... where are the biscuits?"

"Right here, Ariel," Hannah said picking up the plate.

"Good," Emma said. "Everyone gets two."

Casey nodded and was reaching for her own biscuits when she saw that Emma had four in her hand. "Ariel bad!"

"No I'm not," Emma said.

"But---" Casey protested.

"Two for Belle," Emma said quickly.

Hannah took the biscuits. "Thanks, Ariel."

"Be fair," Chloe told her cousin.

"Em is always fair," Emma said looking at her notes.

"Don't mind us blokes, ladies," Jon said as he carried Adam into the sitting room. "We're going out fishing..."

"Fishing!" Adam crowed happily.

"Uncle Jon, Adam looks so cute!" Hannah gushed.

"I know," Adam said, making Jon laugh.

"Em, you want to come and give us a hug?" Jon asked. When he saw the pout on her face, he laughed. "I'm sorry! Princess Ariel, will you please give your royal brother and father a kiss goodbye?"

"I suppose I could," Emma brushed her red hair back.

"Thanks," Jon said shaking his head. He put Adam down and picked up his youngest daughter and spun her around. "I know how to make a princess squeal. Do you know how?"

Emma laughed happily. "No!"

Jon grinned and tickled her. "Like this...."

"What's King Triton doing to Ariel?" Hannah asked the younger members of the princess club.

"Tickling her!" Chloe giggled.

"GO FISHING!" Adam shouted from the floor.

Jon put Emma down. "Your brother has spoken. You be a good girl, Ariel."

"I always am," Emma replied.

Jon gave her a kiss on the cheek. "That's my girl."

"Now!" Adam said.

Jon took Adam's hand and led him out of the house.

"I'm so glad we don't have boys in our club," Emma said as she sat back down.

"No princes," Sukie shook her head.

"Not even Mas?" Hannah teased her.

"Eww," Sukie made a face.

The other princesses giggled at this and then officially started their meeting. In the kitchen, Caroline and Mia were enjoying a snack. Katie was upstairs with Julie reading.

"These are so yummy," Mia said about the biscuits.

Caroline nodded. "My mummy made them for us."

"We'll save a few for Katie when she's done reading," Mia told her.

"Good idea," Caroline said.

Ashley walked into the kitchen and smiled at the younger girls. She was going to meet Zander and go swimming.

"Hi Ash," Caroline piped up. "Want a biscuit?"

"Thanks," Ashley said. "Your mum made them, didn't she?"

Caroline nodded. "The princess club has their share and we're saving a few for Katie."

"I'll warn you," Ashley said as she took a couple of the biscuits. "Katie's not in the best of moods."

"Why?" Mia asked.

"She didn't want to work on this while she's on hols," Ashley told them.

"But she only has to read a little each day," Caroline pointed out.

"That's what I told her," Ashley said grabbing two bottles of water from the icebox. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," Caroline said.

Upstairs, Katie shot her mother a death glare. This book was boring and the weather was too nice to be stuck inside reading. "Can't I finish this later?" Katie pleaded.

"No," Julie said firmly. "You'll finish it now. You haven't bothered to read in two days so your father and I are going to sit here and wait until you're finished."

Katie sighed and turned the page of her book.

"Just finish that chapter," Julie said.

"This is so unfair," Katie grumbled.

"Just read," Nick told her. "You'd be done by now if you had just finished without complaining."

Katie glared at him. Usually, her father was on her side.

"Read," Nick raised his eyebrow.

Katie looked down at the page and tried to remember the reading exercises her tutor had given her.

"Concentrate," she told herself, trying not to let her mind fill with thoughts of sitting on the beach and the ocean. At least Caroline and Mia had told her they'd wait until she was finished before they went out.

With a heavy sigh, Katie grudgingly finished the chapter and did the questions that Maya had set for her to answer. "There," she said tightly. "I'm done. Can I GO now?"

"One moment, Katie," Julie said. "I want you to know that this isn't a punishment. This is something that you have to do. You do so well when you apply yourself. Your dad and I know this isn't easy for you."

"I know," Katie said quickly.

"We're proud of you, Katie Bear," Nick said giving her a hug.

"Thanks," Katie shrugged away. "I want to go outside."

"Go ahead," Julie said. "But, stay near the house."

"Fine," Katie said exasperatedly.

"Ash is already gone, isn't she?" Nick asked.

Julie looked at him. "Don't worry. She said they were just going for a swim."

Katie rolled her eyes as she gathered up her books. She couldn't understand what her sister saw in that boy.

"He's boring," Katie said.

"He's your sister's best friend, Katie," Julie reminded her. "Be nice."

"Whatever," Katie waved her hand. "I have better things to do."

She set off downstairs and passed the little girls who were seemingly drawing their princess club meeting to an end.

To her surprise, Caroline and Mia were sitting in the back of the sitting room watching the littler girls conduct the meeting.

"What are you doing?" Katie whispered.

"Watching," Caroline said. "They're so cute."

"We taught them well," Mia said grinning at Katie.

"Sure," Katie said disinterestedly. "I want to go out to the beach now."

"Wait a few minutes," Caroline said. "I told Em we'd stay."

"I want to go now," Katie repeated.

Caroline and Mia giggled as Emma demonstrated what she was now calling the official "Princess Club Dance."

Katie huffed angrily. "Let's GO, Caroline!"

Caroline looked at her friend. "It's just going to be another five minutes, Katie. Mia and me can meet you outside."

"Whatever," Katie said, as the members of the princess club stopped and looked at her. "It's clear where YOUR priorities lie!"

Caroline and Mia shrugged. They were used to Katie's moods.

Katie stomped out of the door, angrier than she could remember.

Further down the beach, Ashley and Zander had just finished swimming and were sitting on a blanket.

"That felt soooooo good," Ashley shook out her blond hair.

"It did," Zander agreed grinning at her. He still couldn't believe Ashley actually fancied him, too.

"And you're such a goof," Ashley told him.

"Me?" Zander asked nudging her. "How am I a goof?"

"In the water, pulling me under," Ashley nudged him back.

"Pulling you under?" Zander asked. "Oh, you mean, after you grabbed my foot?"

"I did not!" Ashley began to laugh.

Zander reached for her foot. "You did. Just like this..."

"Stop!" Ashley giggled, knowing he knew how ticklish her feet were.

Zander laughed. "I'll stop...if you give me a kiss."

"You only needed to ask," Ashley poked him before leaning in.

Zander did not think kissing Ashley would ever get old. It was the best feeling in the world.

Ashley murmured something deep in her throat as she pressed her lips to Zander's.

He wrapped his arms around her waist.

Katie had been storming away from the house when she saw her sister and stopped short.

Zander looked down at Ashley. "You're beautiful."

She blushed. "Zander..."

"I just wanted to tell you that," Zander said softly.

Ashley leaned in and kissed him again.

"Wouldn't Mum and Dad love to see this?" Katie said gleefully, looking down at her sister and Zander.

Ashley broke away from Zander with a gasp. "Katie! Why are you spying on us?"

"I'm not spying," Katie said still grinning.

"Go away," Ashley said angrily.

Katie started to walk away, but she stopped. She could so use this to her advantage. She knew her parents were concerned about Ashley's age and dating. "I'll go. I'll go back and tell Mummy and Daddy about you and Zander k-i-s-s-i-n-g."

"You wouldn't dare," Ashley stood up.

"I wouldn't," Katie said grinning at her. "If you do something for me..."

Ashley looked at her suspiciously.

"You do all my chores this week," Katie said.

"No way," Ashley replied.

"Fine," Katie said happily. "I'll tell Mummy and Daddy all about you and your---whatever snogging."

"Katie don't you dare!" Ashley stood up and made a move to grab her.

"Are you going to do my chores?" Katie asked.

"Fine," Ashley said grudgingly. "But one week! That's it!"

"For now," Katie said happily.

"Wait a minute--" Ashley began.

"Thank you, Katie," Zander interjected.

Katie smirked at the two of them and sauntered away.

"She's going to lord this over me the entire holiday," Ashley said sitting back down on the blanket.

"Maybe she'll forget about it," Zander tried to reassure her.

"Not Katie," Ashley said. "She lives for things like this."

Zander put a hand on her arm. "What do we do?"

"I'll handle it," Ashley told him. "I'll do what I have to do. Besides, maybe she'll do something and it will cancel out what I've done."

"You sure?" he asked.

Ashley nodded and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

He sent her a smile. "You can do better than that."

Ashley relaxed. "I can, can't I?"

He linked her fingers in his. "Yes."

Ashley looked over her shoulder to make sure no one else was going to come along before she leaned in and kissed Zander.

He exhaled when she pulled away. "Perfect, Ash."

Ashley smiled. "Absolutely."

"You think your parents will let us go out again?" Zander ventured.

Ashley rested her head on his shoulder. "I think so. As long as Katie keeps her mouth shut."

"I hope she does," Zander said doubtfully.

"Me too," Ashley said softly. "You can always keep me company while I wash the dishes and make her bed."

"Sure," he agreed quickly.

Ashley laughed. "I wouldn't make you do that."

"I wouldn't mind," Zander told her.

Ashley smiled at him. "You really must fancy me if you'd be willing to brave Katie's bedroom."

Zander grinned at her.

"But, I'll ask my mum if she'd let us go out again," Ashley said. "Maybe with Aunt Saffy and Andrew."

"Wow," Zander said in awe. "That would be so... so..."

Ashley giggled. "So what?"

"Cool..." Zander finished.

Ashley poked him in the side. "It would be cool and I don't think Aunt Saffy would mind."

"Nice," Zander poked her back.

Ashley grabbed him by the hand and pulled him to his feet. They ran back toward the water and just missed Brittany who was trying to lose Lucy. The girl had caught up to her on her way to the beach and no matter how brisk Brittany was with her, Lucy didn't seem to get a hint.

"I can't believe your parents let you wear makeup," Lucy was babbling to Brittany. "I wish mine would let me..."

"I've been wearing makeup since I was nine," Brittany answered in a bored tone.

"Wow," Lucy gushed. "That's really cool. My parents think it's a little too much for someone our age, but I don't really think so..."

"You know you really don't have to follow me," Brittany told her. "I'm sure you have loads to do..."

"I was sort of hoping to run into Zander," Lucy said, her tone almost pleading.

Brittany rolled her eyes. "He's in the water with Ashley. See?"

"He's so cute, Brit." Lucy said.

"He's SO taken," Brittany corrected her.

Lucy stared at her. "Taken?"

"He's with Ashley," Brittany said. "My best friend. The blonde girl you met the other day? The one Zander's told you about thousands of times? Ringing any bells, Lucy?"

"But he told me they were just friends," Lucy said.

Brittany sighed. "They were, but things have changed."

"Yeah but..." Lucy stared at the two figures out in the water.

Brittany looked sympathetically at the other girl. "He's really happy, Lucy."

Lucy didn't say anything, only dug her finger into the sand and swirled it around.

Brittany waved at her two friends. A few moments later, Zander and Ashley joined Lucy and Brittany on the shore.

"How's the water?" Brittany asked.

"Great," Ashley said. "You should go in, Brit.:

Brittany's nose scrunched up in disgust. "No way!"

Zander kicked water at her as a wave came ashore.

"Zander!" Brittany exclaimed dropping her bag and taking off after him. "I'm going to get you for that!"

Ashley laughed as she watched her two friends.

She picked up Brittany's bag and headed back for the towels.

Lucy reluctantly followed her. "You and Zander looked like you were having fun."

"What?" Ashley spun around. "Oh... hi um... Lucy right?"

Lucy nodded. "And you're Ashley."

"Right," Ashley set the bag down and sat on her towel.

"He's really great," Lucy said sitting down. "I've always thought so."

"Zander?" Ashley asked. "Yeah... he's my best friend."

"I've known him a lot longer," Lucy bragged. "Since we were kids."

"That's nice," Ashley replied, unsure of what to say.

"You're just friends though, right?" Lucy asked, hoping that what Brittany had told her was wrong.

"Um..." Ashley hedged. "Kind of..."

Lucy smiled in relief. "I knew that's all it was."

"We went out just once," Ashley told her. "A few nights ago."

Lucy did not seem to hear her and she took off after Zander and Brittany.

Ashley stared after the other girl. She wondered why Lucy had felt the need to remind her of how long she had known Zander.

She decided not to worry about it. Obviously Zander fancied her and not this other girl Lucy.

What she had to worry about now was making sure her little sister kept her mouth shut.

"Darn it Katie," she muttered. Why did her little sister have to be so impossible?"

There were some times when Ashley felt that she and Katie understood each other and then there were other times when Katie frustrated her beyond belief. Katie only saw things in black and white. She only seemed to care how things affected her.

No doubt she would milk this for all it was worth. Ashley wondered just how long she would let it hang over her head.

Ashley looked up just in time to see Brittany stalking toward the towels. She was soaking wet and did not look at all happy.

"I HATE Zander!" she shrieked, pulling at her hair.

Ashley stifled a laugh. "He got you, did he?"

"Jerk," Brittany replied.

"I happen to fancy that jerk," Ashley said handing her friend a towel. "Watch what you say."

"I don't get it," Brittany began towelling her hair off.

"He's just having fun," Ashley said in his defence.

"Whatever," Brittany said. "You got rid of Lucy, at least."

"She's the least of my concerns," Ashley commented. She told Brittany about Katie.

"She's blackmailing you?" Brittany asked. "Wow... maybe I should talk to her?"

"She might listen to you," Ashley said thoughtfully.

"I'll try anything to help you out," Brittany said.

Ashley smiled at her friend. "Thanks, Brit."

"For now..." Brittany stretched out on the towel. "It's time to tan."

Ashley laughed. "Priorities."

"Of course," Brittany replied. "This is heaven."

Zander came up behind Ashley and put his hand on her shoulder. Ashley turned to smile at him. "Hi."

"Hey," Zander said, laughing when he saw his cousin stretched out.

"Shut it, Zander," Brittany warned.

"Where's um... that girl Lucy?" Ashley asked. "She went looking for you."

"She found me," Zander told her.

"What did she want now?" Brittany moaned.

"She wanted to know if I wanted to go fishing later," Zander said.

"Oh please," Brittany said. "She's as city as I am. She would HATE fishing."

Zander grinned at his cousin. "No one is as CITY as you are, Brit."

"Duh," Brittany replied.

"Well, it doesn't matter," Zander said. "I'm spending all day with someone else. She's better than some old smelly fish."

"Gee thanks," Ashley said dryly.

Zander turned red. "I didn't mean that like it sounded."

"Smooth," Brittany told her cousin.

"I'm new at all this," Zander said.

"Same here," Ashley said. "You're doing fine."

"Smelly fish," Brittany giggled. "I'm gonna tell that to Evan."

"Oh Evan," Zander said in a high pitched voice. "You smell like fish!"

Brittany opened her eyes and glared at him. "You are soooooo lucky we can't use magic out of school, Zander Murray."

"What would you do?" Zander challenged.

"You don't even want to know," Brittany retorted. "Get out of the way. You're blocking the rays."

Zander rolled his eyes at Ashley.

Ashley laughed, taking comfort in the fact that she had her two best friends here. She and Zander were doing great so far and if Katie kept her mouth shut nothing would change.