Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thank you to all of you who have read and reviewed. We appreciate that! In this chapter, you get more of Frankie and Will and their engagement, Ethan and Maddie moving in together and you get to see something some of you have been wondering about for quite a few chapters. We didn't get a chance to do review replies this time, but we appreciate them just the same.

Frankie couldn't remember the last time she'd slept so well. She awoke with a smile on her face and Will's arm on her waist. It was tempting to wake him up for a repeat of last night's performance, but she decided to let him sleep. After all that had happened, she thought he deserved a little treat.

She slipped carefully out of bed and into her silken robe that she'd tossed over a chair the previous morning when she'd gotten up.

Heading into her kitchen, she rummaged in her icebox and came out with some strawberries and some whip cream as well as a bottle of champagne she'd been saving for a special occasion.

This certainly qualified as a special occasion, she thought humming a happy tune as she set everything out on a tray. She carried the tray back in the bedroom and allowed herself a few moments to just look at Will, sleeping soundly in her bed.

Setting the tray on her bedside table, she crawled up and pressed her lips to his bare stomach. "Wakey, wakey," Frankie chanted in a soft sing song voice as she trailed her mouth over his chest.

"Two more minutes," he mumbled sleepily.

"Of this?" Frankie asked, kissing his neck.

A lazy smile spread across Will's handsome features as he remembered where he was and who he was with. For a few moments there, he'd thought it was all a dream.

"Francesca," he said his voice scratchy with sleep.

"Yes?" Frankie paused on top of him, propping herself up with her arms.

"This is real?" he asked opening up his eyes and looking properly at her. His gaze fell on the diamond ring on her finger. "And that's really the ring I gave you last night, isn't it? And we're...we're back together?"

"It's all real," Frankie pushed his hair out of his eyes. "We are SO back together Will."

Will smiled and lifted his head off the pillow to kiss her. "What time is it?" he asked softly.

"After eleven," Frankie answered, sliding off to his side.

Will laughed. "Good thing we don't have to work today, eh?"

"Very good thing," Frankie buried her face in his chest. "Will I'm so happy this morning. I feel like so many things have fallen into place now."

Will hugged her close. "They have, Frankie. This was the way things were always meant to be."

She pressed her lips to his shoulder and then pulled back. "I know we're going to brunch--" she paused a moment. "You're coming with me to the brunch at my parents' house right?"

"Of course," Will replied. "We have to tell them the good news, especially the two princesses."

"Good," Frankie smiled and kissed him again. "As I was saying... um... I have a little... breakfast snack."

"I know," Will said nibbling at her neck. "My favourite..."

"Not me," Frankie giggled. "Well maybe me... as well as some strawberries... and some champagne..." her eyes closed as he continued to kiss her neck.

"What time do we have to be at your parents?" Will whispered against her neck.

"One," Frankie replied. "That gives us two hours..."

"Whatever will we do?" Will asked grinning at her.

"What do you think Barron?" Frankie asked, laughing. "Feed me."

Will laughed and sat up in bed reaching over for one of the strawberries dipping it in the bowl of whipped cream. "Here you are Frankie Barron...."

Normally him saying something like that would make Frankie run for cover but now it sent a thrill through her entire body. "I actually like the sound of that," she said, wrapping her arms around him as she bit into the strawberry.

"It does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?" Will asked, grabbing a strawberry for himself.

"Mmmhmm..." Frankie took it away. "I get to feed you this morning Will."

"Do you now?" Will asked with a laugh. "What did I do to deserve all this?"

Frankie smiled at him. "You're you," she said, tracing a pattern on his chest with her fingers. "And you love me enough to take me back even though I almost ruined things between us completely."

"I was just hoping you'd finally come around," Will said looking at her. "I won't lie to you, Frankie...what happened at Christmas, it really, really hurt me."

"I know," Frankie looked away from him. "I really am sorry--"

Will touched her arm. "I know, Frankie. I love you and last night, we started over. No more looking back, right?"

"Right," Frankie nodded. "I'm a one man woman now." she grinned.

"You'd better be," he teased.

"A one man woman and I find that I'm loving every moment of it," Frankie kissed her fiancé.

Will kissed her back his arms snaking around her waist.

"What say we take the champagne..." Frankie kissed him again. "Into the shower with us?"

"I think that sounds like a brilliant idea," Will said thoughtfully.

Frankie laughed as he scooped her up. "Such a gentleman," she grabbed the bottle and then wrapped her arms around his neck.

It was nearly an hour later before they got out of the shower and nearly an hour after that before they left Frankie's flat. She knew her whole family would already be at brunch and she'd wanted to surprise them.

"Wait out here," Frankie said as she and Will made their way up the front steps. "I want to surprise them..."

"Are you sure?" Will asked.

Frankie laughed. "I'm positive." she kissed him hard.

"Okay," he said when the pulled apart. "But don't keep me waiting too long...something in there smells delicious..."

"I promise," Frankie said as she squeezed his hand and then let herself in the front door.

"Hey!" Allison had been passing through the hall and saw her sister. "Frankie how was your New Year's?"

Frankie shrugged her shoulders and frowned. "You know...same old, same old..."

"Auntie Frankie!" Caroline said running into the room. "Grandpa made French toast!"

"I could smell it from outside!" Frankie scooped the little girl into her arms.

Allison was staring at her. "But Frankie... I thought... we all thought you... you and Will?"

Frankie tweaked Caroline's nose with her left hand and Caroline laughed. "Oooooh....that's pretty! Look Mummy, Auntie Frankie has a new ring!"

"Oh it's just something I picked up this morning while I was out," Frankie stuffed her hands into her pockets.

"You---you went shopping?" Allison asked. "But I thought..."

"Let's go and eat," Frankie interjected. "I am starving! Aren't you, Caroline?"

"Especially for French toast!" Caroline nodded eagerly.

Frankie hid a smile as Allison led the way into the dining room. Everyone was talking animatedly. Her father was listening to some joke of Jon's and Emma was sitting in her high chair nibbling on some cereal.

"Frankie!" Cho said warmly. "We'd almost given up on you, sweetheart!"

"Sorry I overslept and then I got sidetracked in town," Frankie hugged her mother. "Happy New Year everyone."

"Happy New Year love," Cho said. "Did you go and see Will last night?"

"No," Frankie shook her head. "I'm starving!" she bit her lower lip to keep from laughing aloud.

"Sit down Frankie," Neville said handing her a plate of French toast. "I made your favourite."

"Great Dad," Frankie smiled.

"Da?" Emma asked holding up a piece of her cereal. "Eat...."

Jon laughed. "No, sweetheart. That's yours...."

"Eat!" Emma held the cereal out to him.

"Frankie tell us more about your night," Chiaki said.

Frankie poured herself a glass of juice. "You know, I went to that club...Jon, I think Em really wants you to have that cereal..."

"Thank you baby," Jon let his daughter feed him the piece of cereal. "What else did you do?" he asked Frankie.

Frankie shrugged. "I got engaged. Can someone pass the syrup?"

"WHAT?" everyone cried at once.

"I asked if someone would pass the syrup," Frankie repeated nonchalantly.

Allison glared at her sister. "Francesca..."

Caroline pointed behind her aunt. "Will!"

"Princess!" Will exclaimed when Caroline launched herself at him.

"Everyone," Frankie grinned and stood up. "This is my fiancé, Will Barron!"

"Yay!" Caroline said hugging Will around the neck. "You can be my uncle now!"

"I can't wait," Will gave Caroline a squeeze. "I'll have a princess for a niece!"

"When did all of this happen?" Chiaki asked at the same time that Allison asked, "Why didn't you tell us when you walked in?"

"Fooled you all," Frankie laughed. "And it happened last night around half past eleven."

Will set Caroline down so he could accept a congratulatory handshake from Neville.

"Welcome to the family," Neville said smiling at the young man.

"Did you ever get this treatment?" Jon asked Toshio.

"No way," Toshio shook his head.

"Will's going to be the favourite," Frankie said smugly.

"Sod off," Allison said then grinned and hugged her sister. "Congratulations Frankie. I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks Allie," Frankie said hugging her back. "I'm happy for me too."

"You're still so modest," Chiaki joined her sisters.

"Always," Frankie said with a grin. "You do realise you're both going to be my bridesmaids."

"Of course," Allison said. "As if we'd have it any other way!"

"And I wonder if a certain princess would like to be a flower girl?" Frankie asked winking at her niece.

"Really?" Caroline brightened.

"That probably depends on when you have the wedding," Allison deadpanned. "She might be in her teens by then if Frankie does everything the way she always does."

"No, she won't," Will said before Frankie could make a smart remark. "She's sworn to me that there's no backing out of it. I'm going to hold her to it."

"That's right," Frankie said with a smile. "I'm wearing the ring and I love this guy more than anything. I'm going to marry him come hell or high water."

"It's about time," Neville said hugging Frankie. "I'm so happy for you love."

"Thanks Dad," Frankie said with a smile. "Bet you're happy I've finally grown up aye?"

"Aye," Neville said. "But you'll always be my baby girl."

"That's okay with me," Frankie hugged her father again.

"We have so much to be thankful for," Cho said wiping a tear from her face. "Chiaki and Toshio are going to welcome their twins this year. Frankie's getting married. And Allie's here to share it with all of us. This is going to be a very good year for all of us. I can feel it."

"I agree," Jon said. He raised his glass.

"To the Longbottoms," Will said raising his glass as well. "Thank you for welcoming me into your family."

"We're glad to have you Will," Neville smiled. "And to my daughters, for picking three blokes that make them the happiest they've ever been."

"Where were you about ten years ago?" Jon joked.

Allison kicked his leg. "And to Mum and Dad, for hosting a fantastic brunch even though we all know they were out partying until the wee hours of the morning."

"I don't even want to know what you lot were doing," Neville said. "I'm just glad my two granddaughters didn't get to see it."

Allison, Jon, Toshio and Chiaki all looked at each other and began to laugh.

"Enough said," Neville said looking at Cho.

"Let's eat," Cho replied. "Before all this food goes cold."

"After this do you want to go watch The Little Mermaid?" Caroline asked Will. She'd taken the seat right next to him and was hanging onto his every word.

"I would love to watch that with you," Will said grinning at the little girl.

Frankie watched how he seemed to fit in with everyone like he'd always been a member of the family.

"And Daddy said he would play beauty shop with me later," Caroline bubbled eagerly. "Right Daddy?"

Jon nearly choked on his juice. "I-I don't remember saying anything about that, Caroline. I think that was Grandpa..."

Emma reached into her bowl and pulled out some more cereal. "Da…eat?"

"Emma eat," Jon turned his attention to his baby daughter.

Emma shook her head. "Nooo....Da...eat."

"Emma eat," Jon took a piece of cereal and put it in her mouth. "Da eats French toast. Emma eats cereal."

Emma looked thoughtfully at him. "Oh..."

"There we go baby," Jon grinned. "Emma eat. Good girl!"

Frankie laughed and made a goofy face at her niece. She didn't notice Will watching her.

"She recognises you," Allison said to Frankie. "Ever since you stayed the weekend when Emma sees your picture she points to it."

"I bet she thinks there's the woman who took fifteen minutes to change my dirty nappy," Frankie said, but was secretly pleased to hear it.

"She was great with the girls that weekend," Will said. "We both had a good time."

"You two are more than welcome to baby sit anytime," Jon said.

"Especially if it means you have a weekend away with your wife right Jon?" Frankie teased, digging into her French toast.

"You know me too well Frankie," Jon said smiling across the table at her. "And when you and Will have your own sprogs, Allie and I will return the favour."

"That's not going to be happening until we're married." Frankie replied.

"And Frankie wants to have the wedding of her dreams first," Will squeezed his fiancée's hand.

"Right," Frankie said smiling at him. "Right."

Neville groaned jokingly. "Cho we're going to have to take on extra jobs to pay for this wedding."

"It will be worth it," Cho told him. "And Frankie better not go changing her mind."

"I'm NOT going to change my mind," Frankie informed them.

"And neither will I," Will said putting his arm around her. "We're stuck with each other for the long haul."

"I've never seen her look so happy," Allison whispered to Chiaki.

"Not since Mum and Dad told her she could date," Chiaki whispered back and both sisters giggled.

"And date she did," Allison said once they'd calmed down. "I'm glad she found a nice guy though. I was worried that she'd wind up with some loser."

"Will is lovely," Chiaki agreed. "And I think he'll keep Frankie grounded."

"I'm just glad too that she finally fell in love, or admitted she did." Allison whispered. "Now she knows why we settled down so young."

Chiaki patted her stomach. "And see how much it has given us."

"Tell me about it," Allison looked fondly at her own two daughters. "God, I wouldn't give this up for anything."

"All in all I think we Longbottom girls turned out quite nicely," Chiaki said smiling at her sister.

"Aye, I definitely agree," Allison said as Chiaki began to rub her stomach. "Are they kicking you again?"

"The better question might be when aren't they kicking me," Chiaki said with a laugh. "I'm not so sure they liked me eating all those crisps last night at the party."

"Or maybe they didn't like the truth or dare game," Allison laughed, remembering her husband's dance moves.

Chiaki groaned. "Allie, don't bring that up again. I'm still trying to block those images out of my head."

"You dared him," Allison sat back, satisfied.

Jon who had heard bits and pieces of this conversation picked Emma up out of her high chair and as he bent over purposely wiggled his arse in their direction.

Allison began to laugh so hard she choked on a piece of her French toast.

"You okay Mummy?" Caroline asked.

"F-fine," Allison managed to get out.

"Come on Em," Jon said. "Let's go get you cleaned up."

Frankie shook her head as he left the room. "He's such a prat Allie."

"He's MY prat," Allison said with a grin.

"Thank goodness for that," Frankie said, resting against Will's shoulder as she nibbled at a piece of bacon. "Great eats Dad. Thanks."

"You're quite welcome sweetheart," Neville said smiling at her.

"Frankie, you'll let me know when you set a date right? So we can get started on your robes, or if you want to wear a dress..." Cho began.

"Here we go again," Neville said shaking his head.

"Neville Longbottom, this is your daughter's wedding," Cho said sternly.

"Whatever you say dear," Neville said using the one phrase he'd come to rely on over the years. "Allie, how about you help me clean up?"

"Sure," Allison said getting to her feet.

"We'll help too," Will said, gathering some of the plates from the table.

"You sit with Frankie," Neville said. "You're our guests."

"Come on Will," Frankie pulled on his arm. "Let's go sit with Caroline in the other room."

"Yes but..." Will said still wanting to make a good impression on Frankie's father.

Caroline took matters in her own hands. "It's okay, Will. We already like you. You don't have to do anything else."

Toshio snorted. "You've got it easy mate. Jon and I had to jump through hoops." he grinned to show he was joking.

'"Yes well you had it much easier than poor Jon," Chiaki said to her husband. "But let's not tell Will all that now. It'll scare him off from Dad."

"As if Frankie here isn't scary enough when she's mad?" Will joked.

"You want to talk scary, you should see this one here when he's not had enough sleep," Frankie said poking him in the side.

"You mean like last night?" Will said under his breath.

Frankie blushed. "Come on, Barron. We better get out of here while you're ahead. Let's go watch that movie."

"Yes dear," Will grinned.

"See you've got it already," Toshio laughed. "That's all you have to say to please the women."

"Maybe I should start taking notes?" Will asked thoughtfully.

"You are doing just fine the way you are," Frankie said, resting her hand on his chest. "Just... fine." she gave him a kiss.

Will smiled and hugged her close. "We both are, Frankie."

*** *** ***

Harry dropped a box just inside the door of his son's flat. "Why does this remind me of when we first moved in together?" he asked his wife.

"All we're missing is Lavender sitting around painting her nails," Hermione joked.

"Perish the thought," Harry laughed. "And we're missing me trying to snog you around every corner while your parents walk in on us..."

"That's probably what Maddie and Ethan will be doing," Hermione said.

They both laughed. "If this wasn't our son's home..." Harry said, winding his arms around her waist.

Saffron cleared her throat behind her parents. "Do you two ever stop?"

"No," Harry said. "Do you always sneak up on people?"

"I was standing there for about two minutes Dad," Saffron said rolling her eyes. "I didn't sneak up on you. YOU simply didn't notice I was there. Big, big difference."

"All right," Ethan said hastily, dropping another box next to the one his father had put down. "Can we actually... I don't know... move Maddie in?"

"You're still going to come round, right?" Saffron asked as Ethan opened the door for them all. "I know you're going to be at work and with Maddie, but you'll still show up every now and then..."

"I promise to come around," Ethan said. "For the seventy seventh time."

"I'll make him," Maddie promised Saffron. "And you can sleep over when you're home for the summer hols."

"That'll be fun!" Saffron said excitedly. "We can stay up late and watch movies and all that girl stuff!"

Ethan groaned. "I think I'll hang out with Justin that night."

"Fine we don't need you," Saffron replied.

Maddie picked up a box and lugged it into the flat. She wished her parents would have come along, but her father was stuck at the shop with inventory and her mother was interviewing someone.

"And it's not as if we've seen you much since you've been home Saffy," Ethan told his little sister. "You've been at Gran's..."

"I've been helping out!" Saffron argued. "There's a difference between helping out and snogging the night away."

"Who's been snogging the night away?" Ethan asked innocently. "Mum and Dad, were you at it again?"

"Always," Harry said unabashedly. "Good thing neither of you were around on New Year's Eve."

"R.J. said Mum and Dad didn't come home until seven the next morning," Maddie said.

"We had a good time that's all," Hermione said. "Harry let's get these into the sitting room." she indicated the stack of boxes next to them.

"Right," Harry said picking up a couple of boxes and following his wife.

Saffron picked up another box that was labelled 'photographs and mementos'. "Hey Maddie? Where do you want these?"

"Um..." Maddie looked inside it. "I want some of those in the sitting room and some in the bedroom."

Saffron smiled as she picked up a framed photograph of Maddie as a child with Dolly. "I still think it was so cool that you had a pixie."

Maddie laughed. "Dolly's quite infamous in this family."

"I wish I could have met her," Saffron said handing Maddie the frame.

"She was quite the character," Maddie said wistfully. "But you know- as mad as she was, she was always good with me. It was as if she knew I was her mistress and I took care of her."

"She was pretty cool," Ethan said with a grin. "And she did love you."

"I loved her," Maddie said, placing the photo on the hall table. "She was my best friend, since someone else didn't like playing with me." she grinned at Ethan.

"Well maybe that was because you kept insisting that you and I were going to get married and that Dolly would be our baby," Ethan said grinning back at her. "Did you ever think of that?"

Saffron laughed. "So you knew even back then you would marry Ethan someday?" she asked Maddie.

Maddie nodded. "But I didn't know what it all meant back then. "

"You had a vision when you were that young?" Saffron asked curiously.

"I had quite a few actually," Maddie admitted. "I didn't know what to make of them though. I thought they were just dreams."

"And you made Ethan run away," Saffron laughed at her brother. "I always thought he was a chicken."

"Very funny Saf," Ethan said mussing her hair.

"Don't muss my plaits," Saffron ducked away.

"Pardon me Saffy," Ethan said. "Let's see that metal smile one more time before you get them off."

"Sod off," Saffron returned as she left the bedroom.

"Finally," Ethan grinned at Maddie. "I thought she'd never leave us in peace."

"She's been really great to help us out," Maddie said. "You should be nicer to her."

"Saffy knows I love her," Ethan replied. "But does my girlfriend?"

Maddie stepped closer. "I don't know. Maybe your girlfriend likes to hear it every now and then."

"This guy really, really loves his girlfriend," Ethan pulled her to him. "Her and her long gone pixie."

Maddie smiled. "Dolly was always sweet on you..."

"As is her owner," Ethan said, his lips nearing hers.

Maddie pressed her lips to his. She'd wanted to do this all day but they'd been so preoccupied with loading up boxes and getting everything sorted there hadn't been time.

Ethan pulled out the sticks she'd used to twist her hair up and the strands spilled down her back. He ran his hands through them as he deepened the kiss.

They fell onto the bed and Maddie giggled as Ethan planted kisses down her neck. "That tickles..."

"We're going to be able to do this every day," Ethan laughed, still kissing her.

"It will certainly be a test of our willpower," Maddie said softly.

"I think we'll be all right," Ethan pushed a few strands of hair out of her face. "We both know where we stand on the issue. And it's important to us that we stay the way we are until we get married."

Maddie touched his cheek. "Have I told you lately how absolutely incredible you are?"

"Probably, but I always like hearing it," he grinned.

"You," Maddie kissed him again. "Are absolutely… undeniably… adorably… incredible." She punctuated all of her words with a kiss. "And I can't believe how lucky I am."

"I'm one to talk," Ethan said. "I'm lucky you still wanted anything to do with me by the time I finally wised up."

She smiled at him and rolled herself up so that her hair fell over both of them like a silky blonde curtain. They kissed again and Ethan's hands wandered up the back of her shirt, running over her skin. "Mmm Ethan," she murmured, her lips still glued to his.

Her skin was soft under his fingers and as always he wanted to feel as much of her as possible. He trailed his hand around, touching and caressing.

""Mads," Ethan groaned as she started her own way down his chest, her nails raking lightly over his skin. "You see what you do to me?" he asked huskily.

"Mmmhmm…" she answered lazily as he kissed her again, plundering her mouth and tasting her over and over.

"No, don't worry Uncle Harry," Frankie said looking over her shoulder whilst opening up Ethan's bedroom door. "I've got it...thanks though..."

She smiled as she saw her two friends kissing on Ethan's bed. "Don't mind me..."

Ethan pulled away with a surprised shout. "Gee we wouldn't normally--" he began sarcastically. "Shite Frankie, ever hear of knocking?"

Frankie set her bag down on the floor beside Ethan's bed and pulled out some paint cards. "I did knock," she said absently going quickly through the cards. "Your dad let me in..."

"Not in my bedroom," Ethan said as Maddie turned red and began to hastily try and pull her long hair back up.

Frankie shrugged and held out a pale yellow colour against Ethan's royal blue wall. "I can't believe you actually sleep in here. It's so dreary and it doesn't begin to reflect your personality or Maddie's either for that matter."

"It's never bothered me before," Ethan muttered.

"It's okay Ethan," Maddie said as she pushed the chopsticks back into her large knot of hair.

"Well this isn't just your place anymore, Ethan," Frankie said sitting down in between the couple on the bed. "It's yours and Maddie's. And Maddie isn't a royal blue or a poo brown kind of a girl. Are you, Maddie?"

"The royal blue doesn't bother me so much," Maddie straightened out her shirt and then clasped Ethan's hand in hers. "But no, not a brown type of girl at all."

"If you're so attached to the blue," Frankie said thoughtfully looking up at the ceiling. "Perhaps we could work with that. Maybe enchant the ceiling with golden stars or something?"

"That sounds just lovely," Maddie replied.

"Where's this Will bloke you got engaged to?" Ethan interrupted. "It's been the talk of the family for the last few days and we haven't even gotten to meet him yet."

"He's working," Frankie replied, a dreamy expression coming over her face as she thought about him. "But the four of us should do something one night, don't you think?"

"I definitely think so," Maddie grinned at her. "We can go dancing at that new club soon- once things settle down after I'm all moved in here!"

"Definitely," Frankie said. "And there was something I wanted to ask you Maddie. I know you and I have just started to get close, but I'd really like it if you'd be a bridesmaid for me."

"Are you kidding?" Maddie grinned brightly. "I'd love to Frankie!"

Frankie hugged her. "Great. Will and I haven't set a date yet..."

Ethan shook his head as he left the two women to talk amongst themselves. He headed back into the sitting room and started lugging another few boxes in there.

"There he is," Harry teased his son. "Thought you were going to leave us to do all the unpacking."

"Got a little sidetracked," Ethan said with a grin. "Won't happen again... for an hour at least."

Hermione laughed and she helped Saffron clear some space on the bookshelf for some of Maddie's books.

"Ethan James Potter!" Saffron exclaimed putting her hands on her hips and glaring at her brother. "You had this the entire time and you didn't tell me?"

"What?" Ethan asked.

Saffron pulled out a large book. "Quidditch Through the Ages. You know Dad said I could have this!"

"Well then take it," Ethan shrugged. "I have a few copies of it around here somewhere."

"Really?" Saffron asked hugging the book to her chest. She loved this book not just because of what it was about but because it was a present her mother had given her father during their first year together.

"Take it," Ethan chuckled, tugging on her plaits.

Saffron beamed at him. "Thanks Ethan."

"There's so much stuff I have to put in storage." Ethan mused, going through some of Maddie's things.

"Moving in involves compromise," Hermione said sagely. "I remember when your father and I moved in together and he had this hideous chair...."

Harry turned a snicker into a cough.

Hermione looked at him. "You're not going to try and defend that ugly chair are you? It really looked much better in the attic, Harry."

"Sure dear," Harry winked at Ethan. He was the only one who knew aside from Seamus and Robert the fate of that chair.

"So you'll have to make some concessions as will Maddie," Hermione said not noticing the amused look on Ethan's face. "But in the end it will all be worth because at the end of the day, you'll have each other."

"Right you are Mum," Ethan said.

"I'm trying to remember if there was anything you gave up when you moved in with me," Harry said looking at his wife. "As I recall, you had your say in just about everything and I think you got your way too..."

Hermione smiled. "I have my ways."

"Ew gross," Saffron said pulling out a couple more books and finding one of Ethan's old smelly socks. "Ethan....eww, eww, eww."

"Hey I've been looking for those." Ethan grabbed them.

"How long have they been back here," Saffron said holding her nose. "Since you moved in?"

"Probably," Ethan grinned and threw them at her. "Flash that metal Saffy!"

Saffron squealed. "Ethan! You are so lucky I'm not allowed to do magic outside of school...."

"The big bad Auror is really afraid of the little girl with braces," Ethan threw the other sock at her.

Saffron dodged out of the way just in time and the dirty sock missed her entirely and landed on the sofa.

"You don't need magic," Saffron said. "You could just throw those socks at the bad guys..."

"Very funny Saffron Grace," Ethan leapt after her and began tickling her sides.

"E-Ethan," Saffron said hiccupping. "Stop it!"

"No way," Ethan grinned, laughing. "It's too much fun to torture you!"

"Dad!" Saffron called out looking helplessly at him. "Make him s-stop!'

"Ouch!" Ethan shielded his eyes. "That metal caught the sun and blinded me!"

"Gerroff me!" Saffron said hitting him in the chest. "You're so immature.."

Ethan was still laughing as he let his sister off the sofa. "Says the fourteen year old..."

"I'm so m-much more mature than you," Saffron said with a hiccup.

"Are not!" Ethan shot back.

"You two sound like me and Allie," Frankie came into the room with Maddie.

"Do not!" Saffron retorted gleefully.

Ethan shook his head. "Mads where do you want this stuff?" he asked, kicking the box next to the coffee table.

"I was thinking I'd put those in the bedroom," Maddie replied.

"We're going to have a wall of photos in there," Ethan said, hoisting it up and carrying it out.

"Some of those are ones R.J. took," Maddie said. "Not of the family, but just photos he took."

"Of what?" Saffron asked curiously. "He's always taking photographs at school- of the lake, Hagrid's hut, of the Great Hall..."

"There some really beautiful landscapes in there," Maddie said proudly. "He's really got such a great eye."

"Yeah he is pretty good." Saffron said. "He asked me if I wanted to pose for some shots for him sometime. I told him I would once I got these stupid things off." she indicated her braces.

"What sort of poses?" Harry asked immediately.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Nothing like that, Dad. Honestly! Just normal pictures."

"Better be," Harry said.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione admonished. "This is Ron's son you're talking about. He knows that our Saffy's a beautiful girl and he wants to photograph her that's all."

"I don't think of R.J. like that Dad," Saffron said. "He's more like a big brother."

"I have it on good authority that he thinks you're pretty cool," Maddie smiled at Saffron. "He's always talking about how much fun you both have in Hogsmeade."

Saffron grinned. "He's so funny. And he listens to when Snape gets all snarky..."

"Which is probably every day," Harry said dryly.

"Pretty much," Saffron admitted.

"Enough talk about Snape," Ethan said, coming in with another three boxes. "This is all you brought for today right Mads?"

Maddie nodded. "I don't really have much more...this was just the major stuff..."

"Okay," Ethan sat down next to her on the sofa. "I have a feeling we're going to need to figure out exactly what we need and put the rest in storage somewhere."

"You can use one of the spare bedrooms at our house," Hermione said. "We have all the extra space there- and by the time we move out you'll probably have a house of your own and won't need storage space anymore."

"We're moving?" Saffron asked.

"Not anytime soon sweetheart," Hermione said. "But when I retire from the Ministry- which won't be for quite some time yet- we'll have to move."

"But---but it's the only home I've ever lived in," Saffron protested.

"I felt the same way when we moved out of the cottage," Ethan said to his sister.

"I'm surprised you remember the cottage," Harry said. "You were only five when we moved to the place we're in now."

"I have a good memory," Ethan said smiling. "That and Julie waxing poetic about it all the time."

"Right," Harry laughed. "Jules hated the mansion when we first moved in. Said it was haunted and refused to go anywhere alone."

"Really?" Maddie asked. "I can't remember your place looking anything other than nice and cosy."

"Jules was full of it," Ethan put an arm around her. "She just didn't like moving is all."

"It was pretty cold and dreary when we first moved in," Hermione admitted. "I wasn't too crazy about it either, but we redecorated and made it our own."

"Just like we're going to do with this place," Frankie said. "Ugh I cannot STAND these walls a minute longer!"

Ethan watched in horror as Frankie pulled out her wand and pointed it at his walls. In an instant, the dark brown walls were a creamy taupe colour.

"Don't get to used to it," Frankie said surveying her handiwork. "This is just temporary. I just couldn't take looking at that awful colour one second longer."

"But..." Ethan protested.

"I like this," Maddie said. "It's brighter and it's still brown," she grinned at her boyfriend.

"It's so much better," Saffron said smiling at Frankie.

"Thank you," Frankie said. "See Ethan, you can still have your brown, it just doesn't have to make your flat look like it just fell from someone's arse."

"You always have had such a way with words," Ethan said dryly.

"Yes I know," Frankie replied smugly.

"Very nice job Francesca," Harry said giving his goddaughter a hug.

"Thanks Uncle Harry," Frankie beamed. "Ooh, I didn't realise it was getting so late. I have to meet Will for dinner!"

"You bring that bloke by so I can meet him," Harry told her. "Make sure he's good enough for you."

"He is Uncle Harry," Frankie said, picking up her bag. "I wouldn't have gotten engaged to him otherwise. You know how I am." she grinned.

"Yes we do and somehow we still love you for it," Ethan said giving her a hug.

"That's right Ethan," Frankie pecked his cheek. "Flattery will get you everywhere."

Maddie saw her out. "I really am so happy for you Frankie."

"Thanks Maddie," Frankie replied, pulling on her cloak. "I always thought getting married would be a fate worse than death." she smiled. "I'm so glad I was wrong. I can't imagine being happier than this."

"I know the feeling," Maddie said looking back to see Ethan laughing with his family.

"And what's this?" Frankie asked, lifting Maddie's right hand. "You didn't have this on when I saw you guys last week!"

Maddie grinned. "It's a promise ring. Ethan gave it to me on New Year's Eve."

"Sounds like all the jewellers around here had cause to celebrate," Frankie laughed as she held up her left hand.

"Yes they did," Maddie said admiring Frankie's ring. "I can't wait to meet him. We should really do something---the four of us."

"We will I promise," Frankie replied as she opened the door. "I'll owl you this week okay? And tell Ethan that spell's going to wear off in a few hours and he'll have his poo walls back."

Maddie laughed. "Will do. Thanks again, Frankie."

"See you later Maddie," Frankie ducked down the hallway and Apparated out.

"I'm famished," Maddie announced, coming back into the sitting room.

"Ethan doesn't have anything in the icebox," Saffron said. "I already checked."

"Let's go out to eat and then we can run by the shops," Hermione suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Ethan got off the sofa. "Tomorrow we get to start packing things back up for storage."

"And when are you moving in for good?" Saffron asked Maddie.

"End of this week," Maddie replied.

"Too bad R.J. couldn't come with us," Saffron said. "I haven't seem him at all since we've been back."

Maddie laughed. "He told me he was too busy to come help out. Can you believe that? All I could understand was busy and the name Christina."

"Christina?" Saffron asked. "Who is that? He's never mentioned any Christina to me."

"I don't know her last name," Maddie said. "But while his face was stuffed into his pillow I did think he mentioned Ravenclaw..."

"Getting jealous, Saffy?" Ethan teased pulling at her plaits again.

"No," Saffron glared at him. "I just wish he'd have told me about...wait a minute! Not Christina Grant...please not Christina Grant."

"That might have been it..." Maddie said. "Why- you don't like her?"

"I can't STAND Christina Grant," Saffron said with a frown. "She's a sixth year and thinks she's so much better than everyone else."

"Apparently so does R.J.," Ethan said, earning him a smack in the arm from Maddie.

"I cannot believe he didn't tell me he fancied her," Saffron grumbled. She threw on her cloak. "Of all the bloody people in Hogwarts to fancy..."

"It's probably just a passing fancy sweetheart," Harry said, his hand on her shoulder.

Saffron rolled her eyes. "Whatever. I'll talk some sense into him when I see him next."

"The green-eyed monster..." Ethan teased.

"I am NOT jealous," Saffron informed him. "Honestly, how dumb are you Ethan? I couldn't get involved with R.J. even if I wanted to. Not with you and Maddie being together like you are." she shook her head.

"You wouldn't be related," Ethan pointed out.

"It's just too weird," Saffron said as they left the flat. "R.J.'s my friend okay? You should be happy that we're friends- he looks out for me at school the way you would if you were there."

"For that I'm very grateful," Harry said putting an arm around his daughter.

Saffron leaned against her father happily. "Dad, tomorrow we should go flying. We haven't done that in ages."

"I'd love that," Harry said. "And I do have the day off tomorrow."

"We can go over by the Burrow and play some Quidditch!" Saffron said excitedly.

"You also need to start getting your things together for school," Hermione reminded her gently. "You leave in three days for Hogwarts."

"Don't remind me," Saffron groaned. "I don't want to go back."

"Well there's a first," Harry teased her.

"I've loved being back home with you guys," Saffron said. "And with Grandma and Grandpa. I've missed Alexa and everything...but it's so much more fun to be here."

"You only have three years left," Ethan teased. "At least you get that metal off before you go back. R.J.'s going to have loads of competition-- OW!" he rubbed his arm.

"You are such a---" Saffron said trying to think of the perfect word to describe her brother.

"Wonderful, good looking, fantastic..." Ethan deadpanned. "All of the above will do."

"Egomaniac?" Saffron's eyes lit up.

"Arrogant?" Maddie suggested linking arms with Saffron.

"You're supposed to be on my side," Ethan said to his girlfriend.

"Messy?" Maddie continued.

"Sloppy?" Saffron asked laughing.

Ethan gave Maddie his best pout.

"Don't look at him Maddie," Saffron said covering the blonde's eyes with her hand. "Be strong!"

"It's hard to resist him Saffy," Maddie laughed. "Especially with that look!"

"He got it from his father," Hermione shook her head. "Who do you think taught it to him?"

"Maybe I can teach it to R.J.," Ethan said to Saffron.

"Ugh!" Saffron glared at him. "Will you sod off and stop bugging me about R.J.?"

"Saffy and R.J. sitting in the tree," Ethan started to sing. "S-N-O-G-G-I-N-G...."

A murderous look came over Saffron's face and she took off after Ethan who ran ahead still singing the song.

"Are you sure you want to move in with him?" Harry joked to Maddie.

"Yes," Maddie said smiling. "More than anything."

"You'll be the one to handle him," Hermione smiled at the young woman.

Maddie laughed. "I'm certainly going to try."