Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Another long chapter this time around and you even get a flashback from when Maddie, Ethan, Justin, Saffy, Frankie, and RJ were younger. We hope you enjoy!

It had been a few days since they arrived and Maddie was pleased to see she'd acquired some colour to her skin. "This is heaven," she sighed, lying back and letting the warm sun bake her.

"Yeah it is," Ethan said sleepily.

"Buh," Kiera mumbled from her bouncy seat. "Buh...Buh...Buh..."

"No Blue, baby." Maddie said reaching for the photo of the pixie they kept nearby.

"Buh!" Kiera said giving Maddie a gummy smile when she placed the photograph of Blue in front of her.

Maddie laughed. "You miss your buddy, don't you love?"

Ethan sat up. "You know I really don't think we should count 'Buh' as her first word. Even if that's all she can say..."

Maddie laughed again. "Ethan!"

"Well," Ethan said. "Her first word should be 'dada'."

"Or Mama," Maddie pointed out.

"I read on one of those books of yours that 'dada' was easiest to say," Ethan countered looking at his daughter who was still gazing happily at the photo of Blue.

"You read a book?" Maddie pretended to be incredulous.

Ethan nudged her. "Yes, I read."

"Something other than Quidditch magazines," Maddie said. "I'm impressed."

"Very funny," Ethan said. "I am Hermione Potter's son, mind you."

"Uh huh," Maddie gave him a kiss.

"Muh," Kiera mumbled. "Muh!"

Maddie shrieked.

"I should kiss you more often if that's the reaction I get," Ethan said, having not heard Kiera's mumbles.

"No!" Maddie said. "She just said my name!"

"She did not," Ethan said looking at Kiera.

"Sweetheart," Maddie lifted her daughter out of the seat. "Tell Daddy what you said."

"Muh-ma," Kiera cooed.

Ethan's jaw dropped. "What?"

Maddie kissed the top of her daughter's head. "That's my smart girl."

"You've been coaching her," Ethan accused.

"I have not!" Maddie exclaimed.

"Yeah right," he said.

"You're the one who's been in her face all the time practically shouting 'dada' at her," Maddie pointed out.

"Yeah but--" he said.

"Da," Kiera interjected holding her hand out to him.

"There," Maddie said to him.

Ethan took Kiera from Maddie and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, baby!"

Maddie shook her head. "So bloody competitive."

"Say it again," Ethan said to Kiera.

"Buh," Kiera said.

"Da," he said. "Da... da."

"Buh, Buh, Buh," Kiera said giggling.

Ethan shook his head. "The pixie wins again."

"He almost always does," Maddie laughed. "Come on, Ethan James. Let's take her for a walk."

"Sure," he agreed.

Maddie grabbed the baby's hat and placed it on her head. "She loves it here."

"Of course she does," Ethan replied.

"Someday, she's going to be walking the beach with her cousins," Maddie said thoughtfully.

"Too soon," Ethan nodded.

Maddie laughed. "And a few years from now, there will be some boys who come to the house asking if she can come out..."

"Absolutely not," Ethan declared.

Maddie lowered her voice a few octaves. "Hey, dude, can your daughter go for a walk?"

"Shut it," Ethan said.

"And they'll walk down the beach, arm in arm," Maddie said.

"Madeline," Ethan frowned. "Our daughter will never, ever date."

"Oh, Ethan, you're so delusional," Maddie said shaking her head.

"You'll never leave your daddy, will you?" Ethan asked his daughter.

Kiera giggled.

"See," Ethan said.

"Nice try," Maddie said. She looked at him. "On a more serious note, I wanted to ask you about something..."

"What's that?" he asked.

"What would you think about trying for a brother or sister for Kiera?" Maddie asked.

"I thought we already were," Ethan looked at her.

"I know," Maddie said.

"I'd love to have another child, if that's what you're asking," Ethan replied.

Maddie grinned. "Really?"

"Absolutely," Ethan gave her a kiss.

"I love you," Maddie said softly.

"Love you too," Ethan grinned.

"You want to buy your wife and daughter an ice cream?" Maddie asked grinning back at him.

"Always," Ethan replied, steering them towards the stand set up a few yards down the beach.

"I want a chocolate chip cone," Maddie said. "And let's get Kiera a small cup of chocolate."

"Sure," Ethan agreed, handing her to Maddie so he could get his wallet.

Maddie lifted Kiera up above her head and then brought her back down, causing the baby to laugh.

"You want some ice cream, love?" Maddie asked.

Kiera giggled.

"That's a yes," Maddie kissed her cheek.

"Hey, guys," Maddie heard a familiar voice behind her. She turned to see Josh, Lizzy and the triplets.

"Hey!" she said happily. "Oh my goodness! Look at you three!"

"Mad!" Noah exclaimed. "Ice Cream!"

"That's right, Noah!" Maddie said.

Josh clapped his brother in law on the back. "So you got ours, too then?"

"I suppose," Ethan said. "You get next time."

"He's only kidding," Lizzy said. "We wouldn't ask you to pay for all this."

"I've got this round," Ethan insisted. "What do you little buggers want?"

"Choc-late," Aidan said. "Peas?"

"Stawberry!" Casey shouted.

"Banilla," Noah replied.

"One scoop on a cone, of each of those flavours," Ethan told the man.

"And what do you lot say to your Uncle Ethan?" Lizzy prompted.

"THANK YOU!" the triplets crowded around him.

Ethan laughed. "You're welcome."

The group got their ice cream then headed back to Ethan and Maddie's spot on the beach.

"Josh, guess who said 'mama'?" Maddie told her brother.

"She's talking?" Josh asked in surprise.

"Well, she's a little over nine months now," Maddie said. "And she's mostly mumbling."

"She also said Da," Ethan bit into his cone.

Maddie laughed. "And then she followed it up with her favourite word, Buh for Blue."

"She's my little talker," Ethan made a face at his daughter.

"It's something else, isn't it?" Lizzy asked. "Watching all those little milestones..."

"They come way too quickly," Maddie said, feeding her daughter a bit of ice cream.

"They really do," Lizzy said looking wistfully at her children.

"Here Mummy," Casey held out her cone.

"Oh, sweetheart, that's very nice of you," Lizzy said taking a bite.

"Yummy," Casey declared.

"I can remember all too well when these three were Kiera's age," Josh said.

"Things were much crazier back then," Lizzy replied.

"Things are pretty crazy right now," Ethan said.

Noah bit into his cone. "Crazy," he nodded.

Everyone laughed at that.

Maddie looked at Casey. "And how are things as a new princess, sweetheart?"

"I love it!" Casey said happily.

Emma and Hannah had organised a quick princess meeting last night and the little girls had paraded around the beach house in their costumes.

"Casey slept in her dress last night," Lizzy said.

"Uh oh," Maddie grinned at her niece. "But you need royal bedclothes, right?"

"Do I?" Casey asked looking frantically at her aunt.

"Absolutely," Maddie said. "We'll see what we can do about that."

"Thanks, Aunt Mad," Casey said gratefully.

"Yes, thanks Aunt Mad," Lizzy joked.

"My pleasure," Maddie said. "I'm surprised my brilliant brother Joshie didn't think of it."

"Shut it," Josh replied.

"Look," Ethan whispered. The adults watched as Noah fed Kiera a bite of ice cream.

"That is soooooo sweet," Maddie sighed.

"That's my boy," Josh said proudly. "The little gentleman."

"Share," Noah nodded.

Lizzy patted her son's arm. "You love Kiera, don't you?"

Noah nodded.

"We all do," Lizzy said. "She's such a sweet little girl. She reminds me of you, Maddie."

Maddie smiled. "Like mother like daughter."

At the beach house, Saffron had just finished making breakfast for Andrew. He'd been so sweet and loving to her these last few weeks; she wanted to do something to show him how she appreciated it.

She'd made his favourite breakfast, French toast with a bit of lemon on the top, orange juice and bacon. She loaded everything onto a tray and carried it upstairs.

He was still sleeping and she allowed herself a few moments just to look at him.

She still couldn't believe they were engaged. Andrew was the best thing to happen to her and Saffron knew how lucky she was to have him.

She set the tray down on the bed and gently shook Andrew. "Wakey-wakey..."

Andrew mumbled something and pressed his face into the pillow.

Saffron laughed. "Come on, sleepyhead..."

"Saf?" he asked.

"Were you expecting some other girl to wake you with breakfast in bed?" Saffron asked teasingly.

"No," he smiled drowsily at her. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Saffron said. "I made your favourite."

"That smells good," Andrew rubbed at his eyes.

"I had to threaten my Uncle Ron with bodily harm," Saffron said. "He tried to steal it."

Andrew laughed. "I'm not surprised to hear that."

Saffron smiled at him as he sat up in bed. She set the tray before him. "Tuck in..."

"You did this all for me?" he smiled at her.

Saffron nodded. "Of course."

"Thanks," he said, motioning for her to sit next to him.

Saffron moved over and sat beside him. "And I was thinking we could go down to the beach later and just relax."

"How about a run out on the boat later?" he asked.

"That could be fun," Saffron replied.

"Just us," he said, leaning in and giving her a chaste kiss.

"Perfect," Saffron said happily. She watched as Andrew took a bite of his breakfast.

"It's excellent, Saf." he grinned at her.

"Of course it is," Saffron said grinning back at him. "Because I am fabulous."

"You sure are," Andrew shook his head.

"Drew was talking to me while I made your breakfast," Saffron said. "She has some really great ideas about the wedding."

"Oh yeah?" he asked.

Saffron nodded. "She gave me some magazines."

"Should I be scared?" he joked.

Saffron poked him in the side. "No, I'm not going to go full-on bridezilla on you."

Andrew laughed. "I hope not."

"You know me," Saffron said resting her head on his shoulder. "That's not me."

"Definitely not," Andrew said, digging into his French toast. "Aren't you eating?"

"If you give me a bite," Saffron said with a grin.

Andrew held his fork out to her.

Saffron took a bite. "Not bad if I do say so myself."

"Not bad at all," he replied.

"I still can't believe we're getting married," Saffron admitted.

"Me either," he admitted.

"I mean, I always knew we would someday," Saffron said looking at him.

"Of course," Andrew replied. "Right about now is when I was actually going to propose."

Saffron laughed. "Trust you to jump the gun."

"You have that effect on me, Miss Potter." he said.

Saffron gave him another kiss.

"I love you," he said softly.

"I love you too," Saffron said. "Which is why I made this."

"You're the best," he said.

Saffron grinned. "I'm pretty great, aren't I?"

"Absolutely," he said, finishing the French toast and gobbling down the bacon.

"I think you liked it," Saffron joked.

"Loved it," he corrected.

Saffron grabbed the tray and set it down on the floor. Puddles looked up from his perch on the foot of the bed. "Easy, boy. There's nothing left."

"Sorry," Andrew laughed as Puddles whined pitifully.

"Come here," Saffron said to her dog.

Puddles jumped up into her lap.

"I'll make it up to you," Saffron promised.

Puddles licked at her face.

Saffron giggled. "I love this little guy so much."

Andrew grinned. "I'm going to take a quick shower."

Saffron nodded. "Okay. I'm going to clean this up and check on my mum. I'll meet you downstairs."

"Okay," Andrew gave her another kiss. "Thanks for breakfast."

"Anytime," Saffron said smiling at him. "Come on, Puddles. Let's go see how your grandma is doing."

Puddles barked and followed her.

Saffron knew she'd find her mother in the small office she used when she was at the beach house. "Minister Potter, there's an important announcement here for you..."

"What?" Hermione turned around. "Saffy!"

Saffron grinned. "And that announcement is that you are on vacation and should not be sneaking in work..."

"I just had to sign a few contracts, baby." Hermione told her.

"Uh-huh," Saffron said giving her mother a hug.

"I'm surprised you aren't on the beach," Hermione said.

"I made breakfast for Andrew and he's in the shower now," Saffron said. "Where's Daddy?"

"He's out with your uncle Ron," Hermione replied.

"Oh," Saffron said.

"They went for a run," Hermione told her.

"Still gambling?" she asked.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Who knows?"

"They aren't satisfied unless they're competing," Saffron replied.

"Like two children," Hermione said shaking her head. "I keep telling Harry he needs to set a better example for his grandchildren, but it goes in one ear and out the other."

"That's Daddy for you," Saffron answered.

"He usually gets that way when he's around your Uncle Ron," Hermione said setting her paperwork aside.

"I know," Saffron replied.

"Let's go and sit on the patio," Hermione said.

"Sure," Saffron agreed. "Andrew's taking a shower so I have a little bit."

"Have you and Andrew thought about a date for the wedding yet?" Hermione asked once they were outside.

"He mentioned Christmas but I think I was hoping for more of a summer wedding," Saffron replied thoughtfully.

"That would be lovely," Hermione said.

"We're going to go out for a ride on the boat later, so I'm sure we'll sort things out then." Saffron continued.

"I'm sure you will," Hermione said smiling at her daughter.

"I can't believe I'm getting married," Saffron leaned against her mother.

"I felt the same way when your father and I were engaged," Hermione recalled.

"You did?" she asked.

Hermione nodded. "It didn't seem real to me until just before I walked down the aisle."

"Were you scared?" Saffron asked softly.

Hermione nodded. "But I knew it was the right decision."

"That's how I feel about Andrew," Saffron said.

"He loves you very much," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"I love him too," Saffron said. "He's the best person for me."

Hermione opened her mouth to say something but she was distracted by a thud on the steps. She and Saffron stood up just in time to see Ron wheezing and crumpled on the steps.

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed. "What on earth?"

"W-water," Ron gasped.

"Go get him a glass of water, Saffron." Hermione said as she helped him up the steps.

Saffron nodded and hurried back into the house.

"What did you do?" Hermione asked.

Harry arrived at that moment and he smiled at his wife. Ron glared at him. "How are you okay after that---that torture you just took me on?" Ron asked incredulously.

"It was a simple run," Harry answered.

"Simple?" Ron asked. "More like a death march around Brighton."

"Overdramatic, much?" Harry asked.

Saffron handed Ron the glass of water which he drained in a matter of seconds.

"More," he said, collapsing in a chair. "Please..."

Saffron took the glass. "I'll be right back."

"You are such a wuss," Harry informed him.

Ron clutched his side and glared at his friend. "I haven't run in years, Harry."

"Obviously," Harry smirked.

"I think it's great that you're taking an interest in physical fitness," Hermione said. "But maybe you overdid it on your first day..."

Ron glared at her. "I just pulled something."

Saffron handed him another glass of water. "Pulled what, Uncle Ron?"

"My... stomach." Ron said.

Saffron stifled a laugh. "Well, if you want, I had some leftovers from my breakfast. You're welcome to them."

Ron wanted more than anything to say yes, but he knew that would defeat the purpose. "I'm not hungry."

Harry, Hermione and Saffron stared at him, open-mouthed.

"What?" Ron asked.

"You aren't hungry?" Hermione asked.

Ron sadly shook his head. "No."

"Well I am," Harry replied, heading into the house.

"I'll make you a plate," Saffron offered. "French toast."

"That sounds great," Harry replied. "Thanks baby."

Ron whimpered.

"Oh Uncle Ron, I'll make you a plate too," Saffron said.

"I'm just going to have a glass of juice," Ron said, taking a towel and wiping the sweat from his face.

"No you aren't," Saffron said. "Toast and some fruit, coming right up."

"No butter," Ron told her.

"No butter," Saffron agreed.

Andrew was in the kitchen when they walked inside. "There you are."

"I was just outside with everyone," Saffron said. "I have to get my dad and Uncle Ron some breakfast."

Andrew looked over at Ron, who was soaking wet from sweat. "Did you go for a swim?"

"No," Ron said sourly.

"Uncle Ron and my dad went for an early morning run," Saffron told him.

"Looks like you threw him in the ocean," Andrew commented to Harry.

Harry chuckled. "It does, doesn't it?"

"Thanks a lot," Ron snapped.

"Dad runs every morning," Saffron said to Ron. "I bet he was showing off a bit..."

"Of course he was, Saffy." Ron told her.

"I do not show off," Harry said defensively.

"Yes you do," Ron told him. "Running around out there, winking at all those people..."

"You were winking at people?" Hermione asked, raising an eyebrow at her husband.

"No," Harry said defensively.

"Yes, you were," Ron said. "There were those two women---"

"Harry James Potter!" Hermione admonished.

"Daddy!" Saffron swatted at him.

"I didn't wink at anyone!" Harry said.

"Did so," Ron countered.

"How would you know?" Harry asked sarcastically. "You were too busy falling over every sand dune and wheezing."

"I did not fall over EVERY sand dune," Ron retorted.

"Sorry, every OTHER sand dune." Harry answered.

"You know I asked you to help me, I didn't think you would torture me!" Ron exclaimed.

"I've never had a problem running," Harry told him.

"Because you do it everyday, Daddy," Saffron pointed out. "Uncle Ron doesn't."

"Exactly," Ron glared at his so called best friend.

"I might have overdone it," Harry admitted.

"Oh you think?" Ron asked as Saffron put a plate down in front of them.

"I'd like to get back to those women you were winking at," Hermione said to her husband.

"I wasn't winking at anyone," Harry said.

"Those two girls who stopped to help me said you did," Ron said. "They couldn't have been much older than Saffy."

Saffron stared at her father.

"I winked at them because they were laughing at Ron," Harry said.

"That makes sense," Saffron shrugged.

"They can't hold a candle to my wife," Harry said looking at Hermione.

Hermione smiled. "Good save."

"I'm impressed," Andrew grinned.

"Learn from the best," Harry told him.

"He's still showing off," Ron grumbled, finishing his toast and fruit in seconds.

"Jeez Uncle Ron," Saffron said. "Did you taste that?"

"What?" Ron asked innocently.

"He'll never change," Harry shook his head.

"I'm going to change," Ron said. "I want to get back to the same body I had when I was Andrew's age."

"Paunch stomach," Harry said. "Big head."

"You're the one with the big head," Ron retorted.

"I have a perfect sized head," Harry informed him.

"Do you think RJ and me are going to be like that when we're that old?" Andrew whispered to Saffron.

"He'll be the one with the paunch stomach and big head," she grinned at him.

Andrew put his arm around her and laughed. "And I promise I'm not going to wink at any women."

"Just me," she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Only you," Andrew said softly.

Saffron closed her eyes a moment.

"You okay, love?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah," she said softly. "I'm fine."

Andrew kissed the side of her head.

"I was thinking," she said. "How about we wait until tonight to go out on the boat? It's supposed to be really nice and clear."

Andrew pretended to think about this. "Let's see...you and me...alone...moonlight..."

"I think it sounds perfect," she smiled at him.

"Me too," Andrew grinned.

The door opened and Chloe, Hannah, Emma and Casey tumbled inside.

"What happened to you, Gampa?" Emma asked looking at Ron.

"Em, your grandpa is just a little out of shape," Harry told the five year old.

"Mr. Ron looks a LOT outta shape," Hannah commented.

"Han, be nice," Emma told her.

"I'm sorry," Hannah blushed.

"I'll be okay," Ron said, patting his stomach.

"We've got our work cut out for us," Harry said.

"You're a slave driver," Ron muttered.

"I still love you, Gampa," Emma said climbing up on his lap. Chloe nodded in agreement. "Me too!"

Emma's nose scrunched up in disgust. "Grandpa! You're all wet and you stink!"

Harry doubled over in laughter.

"I should probably go and take a shower," Ron said setting Emma back down.

"You don't smell that great either, Dad." Saffron told him.

"Saffy's right," Hermione said. "I love you, Harry, but you've smelled better."

"Guess that's my cue to take a shower as well," Harry stood up.

"We'll meet you out on the beach," Hermione told him.

"Be there in a bit," Harry replied.

Chloe and Emma grabbed Saffron's hands.

Saffron laughed. "Where are you girls taking me?"

"Outside!" Chloe said.

Andrew picked up Casey who squealed. "Outside it is!"

"Yay!" Emma cheered.

"Maybe we can find Gabey," Saffron teased Emma.

Emma blushed. "He's with Lexie."

"But, you know what?" Saffron asked her. "I'm sure he's going to love to see you."

"I hope so," Emma replied.

"You know," Saffron confided. "When I was your age, I had a little crush myself."

"On who?" Emma asked.

"Promise not to tell?" Saffron asked her.

"Cross my heart," Emma replied.

"Do you remember Ethan's best friend, Justin?" Saffron asked her.

"I think so," Emma replied.

"Well, he used to come here with Ethan and I used to follow them around," Saffron told her.

"Cute?" Emma asked.

Saffron nodded. "Gorgeous."

"Like Gabey," Emma giggled.

Saffron tickled the little girl's side. "Like Gabey."

"Who else, Saf?" Chloe asked.

"Who else did I have a crush on, you mean?" Saffron asked.

Chloe nodded. "Tell!"

"She had a crush on RJ," Andrew said coming up behind them. "Hello? Remember me?"

"I did not have a crush on RJ," Saffron replied.

"He says you did," Andrew told her. "Said you used to follow him around all the time when you were kids."

"I maintain that he followed ME," Saffron answered pertly.

"We can ask him," Hannah said pointing down the beach where RJ and Audrey were sitting.

"I don't think so," Saffron said quickly.

"No," Andrew grinned. "This could be fun."

"He'll just say it was the other way around." Saffron said. "I know the truth."

"Uncle RJ!" Emma yelled. "Come here!"

Saffron groaned.

"What's up?" RJ asked picking up his niece and spinning her around.

"Did you follow Saf around when you were a baby?" Emma asked.

"What?" RJ asked. He looked over at his friend. "Did you feed her that line of rubbish, Saffy?"

"I told them the truth," Saffron said.

"Yeah," Andrew grinned. "RJ, I was telling Saffy all about how you said she had a crush on you when you were kids."

"I NEVER had a crush on you!" Saffron exclaimed.

"You so did," RJ said with a grin.

"Please," Saffron rolled her eyes.

"Ladies and Andrew," RJ said. "I give you exhibit A----the summer I was eight and Saffron Grace Potter was six."

"RJ!" Saffron shouted when they arrived. "We're here!"

Ethan yelled when Saffron dropped her bag on his foot. "Ow, Brat!"

"Shut up Ethan," Saffron made a face at him

"Oh, hello," a soft voice said from behind them. They turned to see Maddie Weasley coming down the stairs. The 10 year old was holding the latest copy of The Quibbler.

"Hi Maddie!" Saffron exclaimed, running over to her and giving her a hug.

"Hiya, Saffy," Maddie said softly. "We were wondering when you lot were going to get here."

"We had a late start," Harry said. "Ethan did not want to get out of bed this morning."

"Me and Justin were up late," Ethan replied.

Justin laughed. "He was up late talking on the phone to Megan Coleman."

"Who's that?" Saffron asked.

"None of your business, brat," Ethan said with a yawn.

Justin picked up Saffron's bag. "Come on, Saf. I'll help you."

Saffron blushed. "Thanks."

Hermione looked at her son. "You know, you could follow Justin's example and be nice to your sister."

"I'm always nice," Ethan said. "Right Maddie?"

Maddie smiled. "When you want to be."

Justin laughed. "Good one, Maddie."

"Thank you," Maddie said, blushing. "Saffy, do you want to go down to the beach with me? I'm looking for seashells."

"Okay," Saffron said. "Can RJ come too?"

"He's already on the beach," Maddie told her. "He's with Daddy and Jon."

"Oh," Saffron said. "Okay."

"But we can find them," Maddie said.

"Let's get you changed into your swimming costume," Hermione said taking her daughter's hand.

Saffron nodded eagerly. "I'm going to find lots of shells!"

Hermione led her upstairs. "You didn't sleep at all last night, did you?"

Saffron shook her head. "I was too excited!"

Hermione laughed. "You always get that way before Brighton."

"Cause it's my most favourite place in the world," Saffron told her.

"And I love seeing my girl so happy," Hermione said grinning at her.

"I'm always happy," Saffron giggled.

"You are," Hermione said helping her daughter change into her red swimming costume. "And let's not forget the sunscreen."

"I don't want a sunburn," Saffron shook her head, her brown hair flying back and forth.

"I promise I'll be quick because I know you want to see everyone," Hermione said.

"Thanks," Saffron grinned at her.

"Promise me you won't wander off and you'll stay close to Maddie," Hermione said to her.

"I promise," Saffron said eagerly.

It did not take long before Saffron and Maddie were heading out of the house. Josh and his girlfriend, Lizzy, were sitting on the patio reading.

"Hi, Saffy," Lizzy said smiling at the little girl.

"Hi!" Saffron said happily. "I'm going to get shells with Maddie!"

Maddie picked up a bucket. "We can put them in here, Saffy."

Saffron nodded happily. "Will RJ want to find seashells with us?"

"We can ask," Maddie said. "Come on..."

Saffron took Maddie's hand and hurried alongside her.

RJ was kicking around a football with his father and Jon.

"This isn't as much fun as Quidditch," Jon said kicking the ball to his younger brother.

"The Muggles would freak if they saw you flying around," RJ said laughing.

"I know," Jon said glumly.

"Kick it over here, son," Ron said to RJ.

"Coming to you, Dad." RJ said, sending to him.

Ron kicked the ball up and bounced it off his knee. "Not bad, eh?"

"RJ!" Saffron squealed.

RJ turned. "Hey Saffy!" he waved.

Saffy beamed at him. "Can I play, too?"

"Sure," RJ said.

"You can take my place, Saffy," Jon said. "I'm going to go check on Al."

"So much for seashells," Maddie nudged her teasingly.

Saffron giggled. "I'll help after. I promise!"

"I'll sit and watch for a little while then," Maddie said.

Saffron ran over to take Jon's spot. She had seen Ethan and Justin play the Muggle game before so she knew the basics.

"That's good, Saffy." Ron encouraged as she kicked the ball to him.

"She's not too bad for a girl," RJ commented.

"I'm better than any plain old girl," Saffron said.

"You're not as good as me," RJ said as his father kicked the ball to him.

"Oh yeah?" Saffron asked.

"Yeah," RJ grinned, kicking the ball to her.

Saffron stopped it with her foot then kicked it back to him as hard as she could.

RJ wasn't expecting this and the ball sailed past him. Maddie clapped enthusiastically. "Way to go, Saffy!"

"Hey," RJ protested.

Saffron grinned. "I did good!"

"You sure did," Ron told her.

"Lucky shot," RJ grumbled.

"I'll do it again," she told him.

"Yeah, right," RJ said sending the ball to his dad.

Ron sent the ball to Saffron and she once again sailed it right past RJ, who tried to dive for it.

This time, Saffron did a little victory dance which made Ron and Maddie laugh, but infuriated RJ.

"Another lucky shot," he said angrily.

"I'll go easier on you," Saffron said running after the ball.

"No way," RJ said. "Not a GIRL."

"You're mad because I'm beating you," Saffron said.

"Am not," he denied.

Ethan and Justin had been watching this exchange. "Come on, RJ," Ethan said. "Don't let your girlfriend beat you, mate!"

"Saffron's not my girlfriend!" RJ shouted.

Ethan and Justin laughed even harder at this. Saffron's lower lip trembled. "I don't want to play anymore with you, RJ!"

"RJ," Ron said disapprovingly. "Apologise."

"Why?" RJ grumbled. "I didn't do anything!"

"Come on Saffy," Maddie said. "Let's go find those seashells."

"You're con-temp-table!" Saffron shouted at RJ.

RJ looked at her. "What does that mean?"

Ethan laughed. "She likes to use big words, mate. It's another way of saying you're mean."

"So what?" RJ crossed his arms.

"Come on, Saffy," Justin said taking the ball. "I'll play with you."

"You will?" Saffron's entire face brightened.

"Absolutely," Justin said. "It's good to play against a good competitor. My dad says that's the only way you'll improve."

Saffron grinned adoringly at him.

"That's a load of rubbish," RJ said.

"No it's not," Ethan told him.

RJ scowled as he watched Justin teach Saffron a trick.

"See if you can bounce it on your knee like I just did," Justin said handing her the ball.

"Okay," Saffron said eagerly.

"He's not so great, you know," RJ said to Maddie.

"RJ you need to be nicer to Saffy." Maddie said.

"I like her fine," RJ said. "I just don't like it when she beats me. I mean, she's a girl and she's younger than me."

Maddie shook her head.

"What?" RJ asked.

"Get used to girls beating you," Maddie advised him.

"No way," RJ said firmly.

"Just take my word for it." Maddie told him.

RJ watched as Saffron expertly bounced the ball off of her knee. "She is pretty good..."

"Better than you," Ethan teased him.

"She is not," RJ grumbled, though he knew Ethan had him there. He picked up Maddie's bucket. "I'll find you some shells, Maddie."

Maddie smiled at him. "Thanks RJ."

RJ walked over to Saffron. "Come on then."

"What?" she asked, glaring at him.

"We're going to find shells for Maddie," RJ said. "Come on."

"I'm busy," she informed him.

RJ sighed. "Will you come on, Saffy?"

"You're mean and I don't like you anymore," Saffron crossed her arms.

"You're acting like a big baby," RJ retorted, crossing his arms.

"You ARE a big baby," Saffron shot back, turning to Justin.

"Am not!" RJ hissed.

"Come on you two," Ethan said. "Stop squabbling and kiss and make up."

"Eww, gross!" Saffron groaned.

"REALLY gross," RJ frowned at him.

"Okay, you could at least hug," Ethan said.

Maddie stood up and looked at Ethan. "You're kind of making things worse, Ethan."

Saffron took aim and threw the football at her brother's head.

Ethan had been distracted by Maddie and the ball hit him on the cheek. "OW!"

"Serves you right," Saffron stuck her tongue out at him.

RJ laughed. "That was a good one, Saf."

"Thanks," Saffron smiled at him. "I guess we could go get some shells..."

RJ grinned. "Not just girly ones, okay?"

"All kinds," Saffron agreed.

Ethan, Justin, and Maddie watched the two younger children walk off. Ethan grabbed the ball and shook his head. "That brat has quite an arm on her. Another inch and she'd have broken my nose."

"I think that's what she was really aiming for," Justin said wryly.

"I'm sure your mum would know a spell to fix it if she had," Maddie said softly.

"Probably," Ethan muttered.

Maddie was about to say something else when Justin elbowed Ethan. There were two girls about their age setting out blankets. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, mate?"

"Heck yeah," Ethan tossed the ball aside.

Maddie's smile faded as she watched Ethan and Justin approach the two girls. Ron put his arm around his daughter. "You okay, love?"

"Fine," Maddie said. "I'm going to go join RJ and Saffron."

"Good idea," Ron grinned. "Keep an eye on them."

"Right," Maddie forced a smile.

Maddie headed off down the beach after the two younger children and tried not to think about Ethan and those girls. She had thought she was over her crush. "Psst!"

Maddie looked around, but didn't see anyone. "Psst! Maddie, come here!" The blonde turned to see Frankie Longbottom hiding underneath a blanket.

"Frankie?" Maddie peered at her. "What are you doing?"

"Do you see a blonde haired boy wearing green swimming trunks anywhere around?" Frankie asked.

"Um..." Maddie looked around. "Down by the water..."

"What about a brown-haired boy with brown swimming trunks?" Frankie asked. "Wearing sunglasses..."

Maddie took another look. "No..."

Frankie sighed in relief and came out from under the blanket. "Thank Merlin for that!"

"Why?" Maddie looked at the black haired girl.

"I had a date with the two of them," Frankie explained. "I told Tristan I'd meet him on the beach at 11 and I just got rid of him. Derek over there....is supposed to meet me now. I didn't want the two of them to run into each other. It wouldn't be pretty."

"You had two dates?" Maddie asked, intrigued.

"This morning," Frankie nodded. "I have another one this afternoon, but I might cancel."

"Wow," Maddie couldn't help but be impressed by the pretty older girl.

"It's important to multi-task," Frankie said wisely. "I mean, I know I told my dad I'd work on those job applications, but for Merlin's sake, I just graduated from Hogwarts. This is my last free summer. If I can't have fun now, when can I have fun?"

Maddie smiled. "I guess never, right?"

"Right," Frankie agreed. She looked to her left to make sure that Tristan was truly gone and as she did so she saw Ethan and Justin flirting with some girls. "The Potters are here, I reckon?"

"Yeah," Maddie answered. "RJ and Saffron are off hunting seashells. I was going to join them."

"You're just as pretty as those girls," Frankie told her. "Even prettier, if you ask me."

"I am?" Maddie looked at her in surprise.

"Obviously," Frankie said. "Look at your hair, for one thing. I would kill to have hair like yours."

Maddie smiled. "I love yours too. It's so pretty."

Frankie grinned. "Thank you."

"So where do you really want to work?" Maddie asked her.

"My dad wants to set me up at the Ministry," Frankie made a face. "But I'd rather die than do that."

"I can't see you doing that," Maddie settled down next to her.

"Neither can I," Frankie said. "But I was looking in the Prophet today and there was a listing for Puddlemere. Something about public relations..."

"That sounds like fun," Maddie said. "I love Quidditch."

"I love Quidditch players," Frankie said with a grin.

Maddie giggled.

Frankie giggled, too. "But, we'll see."

Maddie saw RJ and Saffron near the shore in the distance. "I should probably go join them." she said.

"Okay," Frankie said. "And thanks for helping me earlier. You are a lifesaver."

"I didn't do much," Maddie protested.

"Yes, you did," Frankie argued. "Trust me. And don't you worry about Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dumber over there. They can't hold a candle to you."

Maddie smiled at her. "Thanks Frankie."

Maddie caught up to RJ and Saffron as they were arguing over a shell.

"That's a good one," Saffron argued. "It's pretty."

"Too pretty," RJ said. "And girly."

Maddie peered over her brother's shoulder. "I'm going to use them to make necklaces, RJ. Mum would love that one."

"Oh," RJ said. "If I'd known that..."

Maddie mussed his hair. "You're such a boy."

RJ ducked away. "Knock it off."

Maddie giggled and looked to see what else they had picked. "These are great, you guys."

"Thanks!" Saffron beamed at her. "RJ picked a lot of them."

"You guys make a good team," Maddie said.

"Sometimes," Saffron replied.

"You can help me make the necklaces if you want, Saffy," Maddie told her.

"Okay," Saffron agreed, taking her hand.

"We can even make one for your Mummy," Maddie said.

"She'll love that," Saffron replied.

RJ sighed. "I wish there were more boys here. Jon's all about his wife and Lizzy and Josh are always together."

"I'm sure Ethan and Justin wouldn't mind you hanging out with them," Maddie told him.

"They're hanging out with girls," RJ said his nose scrunching up in disgust.

"So are you," Maddie pointed out.

"Yeah but... it's you and Saffron." RJ said. "That's different."

Saffron grinned. "That's because we're cool."

"Yeah right," RJ punched her shoulder.

Saffron laughed. "Yeah!"

Maddie laughed as the two children ran ahead of her.

Saffron looked at RJ as he finished telling the little girls the story. "See? That proves that you were totally in lurve with me when we were kids. Not the other way around."

"You were the biggest brat in the world," RJ said. "Still are."

"Oh, excuse me," Saffron nudged him. "I'd rather be a brat than a baby. You couldn't take the fact that I beat you."

Emma giggled. "Uncle RJ was a baby!" she sang, making the other kids laugh.

"Big baby!" Chloe chimed in happily.

Saffron began to laugh hard as RJ spluttered in defence.

"Big, huge baby," Andrew corrected with a grin.

"Thanks," RJ glared at his best friend.

Chloe plopped down on Saffron's lap. "Love you, Saf."

Saffron hugged her. "I love you too Chloe. You're my girl."

Chloe grinned.

"Can we make necklaces, too?" Hannah asked. "Like you did with Maddie?"

"Sure," Saffron said. "Let's get a few pails and we'll go collect as many seashells as we can."

"I'll catch up with you later," Andrew said giving his girlfriend a kiss. "Don't forget you're mine tonight."

"I couldn't forget that," Saffron said, squeezing his hand. "Thanks for understanding."

"No worries," Andrew said. "I'll hang out with Audrey and RJ."

Saffron gave him another kiss. "I love you."

"Love you," Andrew said.

"Aud?" Saffron asked. "Would you like to come with us?"

"You wouldn't mind?" Audrey asked.

"Mind?" Saffron laughed. "I'd welcome the help. There's no telling what this lot of princesses would do to me!"

Audrey laughed. "In that case, I'm glad to help."

Audrey gave RJ a kiss. "Behave while I'm gone."

"I always do," RJ protested.

"Right," Audrey laughed.

"Come on!" Emma squealed, tugging at Hannah's hand. "So many shells, so little time!"

Hannah giggled. "We have so many necklaces to make. One for my mummy, your mummy, Casey's mummy, Chloe's mummy..."

"Don't forget grandmas," Saffron reminded them.

"And Aunt Dar," Chloe chimed in. "To make her feel good!"

"Lots of necklaces then," Saffron said, picking Chloe up.

"Yay!" Chloe exclaimed happily.

"Where are Gabriel and Alexa?" Audrey asked Saffron as the group of girls headed down the beach.

"I don't know," Saffron replied. "Maybe they're on the boardwalk."

"They make a nice couple," Audrey ventured. "And I'm not just saying that because she's RJ's ex."

"They do," Saffron agreed.

"She must be excited about moving to California," Audrey said.

"She is," Saffron said softly. "But, I'm going to miss her so much."

"I bet," Audrey said. "That's like if my cousin Becca moved away. She and I are so, so close."

Saffron smiled. "How does she like working at the pub?"

"She's a natural," Audrey laughed.

Saffron set Chloe down as they approached the house. The younger girls hurried to gather their pails.

"Do you---do you still talk to Natalia?" Saffron asked uncertainly.

"Once in awhile," Audrey said. "She's seeing someone else now."

"Oh," Saffron replied. "That's great. I still feel bad about how that happened."

"It was pretty awkward," Audrey admitted. "I didn't really know what to make of you at first."

Saffron laughed. "Not too many people do."

"Well for what it's worth, I'm glad we're friends," Audrey told her. "I think you and Andrew are the best match for one another."

"I'm glad we're friends too," Saffron said genuinely. "And for what it's worth, I'm glad you're with RJ. He needs someone like you."

"He needs someone who will give him a swift kick in the arse every now and again," Audrey said with a grin. "We both do that."

"I haven't always been that nice to him," Saffron admitted. "But I think of him like another brother."

"He definitely thinks of you as a sister," Audrey replied. "After all that's happened, he's been quite protective."

"Like a big brother," Saffron said fondly.

"Sassy!" Chloe said. "Come on! Shells!"

Saffron laughed. "Okay, okay."

Emma and Hannah had already collected half a bucket full by the time Saffron and Audrey caught up to them.

"Em's putting every one we find in there," Hannah told Audrey and Saffron. "She said she didn't want to leave any out."

"That's okay," Saffron said. "Whatever ones we don't use we can put back out here."

"You're really great with all of them," Audrey said as they followed the girls.

"They're a lot of fun," Saffron said. "They've taken my mind off a lot of bad things."

Audrey looked sympathetically at the other girl. She could not imagine having endured all that Saffron had to in the past months. "Is it hard being back here?"

"I thought it would be awful," Saffron said thoughtfully. "But... having Andrew here has been the biggest help of all. He's barely left my side."

Audrey smiled. "He's really great."

"He's perfect," Saffron replied.

"He said the same thing about you," Audrey grinned.

"Well RJ hasn't stop raving about you since you moved in together," Saffron smiled back at her. "When we're at practise its Audrey this and Audrey that..."

Audrey laughed. "He's been great. Though, I'm trying to work on him about leaving the toilet seat up..."

"Good luck," Saffron said dryly.

"When are you and Andrew moving in to your new place?" Audrey asked.

"I think August or September," Saffron replied. "We have to sign on it. I'm glad we found a house instead of a flat."

"It's such a great place, too," Audrey said.

"Once we're settled in, you two will come over and we'll have a nice dinner and enjoy ourselves," Saffron promised.

"We'd love that," Audrey said.

"Sassy!" Chloe squealed. "Look! Casey and me found it!"

"Wow!" Saffron said. "That's a gorgeous conch shell!"

"Big!" Casey held it up.

"It's huge," Saffron agreed. "Why don't I hold it so you two have room for smaller shells?"

Casey nodded and handed it to her.

"Good job," Saffron congratulated them. "Everyone's going to be really impressed with this."

"Princesses do good," Emma said proudly.

"That's right," Hannah told them.

"Come on, princesses," Saffron said. "Audrey and I will help you make the necklaces."

"Just a few more shells," Casey said, running ahead on the sand.

Audrey laughed. "I'll help her."

"Thanks," Saffron said. "Look how many you two got!" she exclaimed looking into Emma and Hannah's bucket.

"I'm going to make a bracelet for my Mummy too," Hannah told her. "I'd make one for Izzie, but she's too little and she might try to eat it."

"You can make one for her for when she's older," Saffron suggested.

"How many did you and Maddie make?" Hannah asked.

"Too many to count," Saffron replied with a grin.

"Did my Mummy really have that many boyfriends?" Hannah asked.

"She had a fair few," Saffron replied. "But no one turned her head like Will."

Hannah smiled. "I wonder how many girlfriends my Daddy had."

"I'm sure he was pretty popular," Saffron grinned.

The girls finished gathering up shells and were just heading back into the house when they met Ashley.

"Where are you going?" Saffron asked her niece.

"Down the beach to see Zander and Brit," Ashley said with a grin. "They just arrived this morning."

"Oh cool," Saffron smiled. "Tell them I said hello."

"I will," Ashley said. "I'll be back later."