Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks to everyone who has reviewed. Bless your delusional little hearts! Saffron is still taking some heat for being a bit bratty. But please do try and remember she is 14 years old and she is the baby of the family. She isn't always going to get her way, but she is very headstrong and stubborn, gifts she received from both her parents. This chapter starts a storyline for the youngest Longbottom daughter, Frankie. We hope you enjoy reading it as much as we enjoyed writing it. Please review!

"I am so sorry Allie," Maddie said. "I can still watch the girls, but I don't know what I'll do if I have another vision. They just keep coming these past few days and I've spent almost all my time here at the Ministry and I don't know how I'd get a hold of someone if I have another and have to leave right away..."

Allison sighed and tried not to let her sister-in-law hear the disappointment in her voice. "It's okay, Maddie. Really."

Allison and Jon were supposed to be going away this weekend for their anniversary. She'd been looking forward to it for weeks. Neville and Cho had been all set to take the girls, but they'd both come down with a horrible case of the Wizarding flu.

Chiaki was having a tough time with her pregnancy and there was no way Allison could ask her to watch the girls. Uncle Harry and Aunt Hermione were away on some International Conference. Lizzy and Josh were both swamped with work. Drew and Darla were away in the Caribbean at a wedding.

"You have no idea how sorry I am," Maddie was upset at herself for letting her brother and sister in law down. "I just don't want to endanger the girls in any way."

"It's okay Maddie," Allison said into the phone. "Don't worry about it. Jon's Flooed over to see Arthur and Molly. I'm sure they won't mind looking after Emma and Caroline."

"I hope they can do it," Maddie replied. "Again, I'm really sorry Allie."

"It's okay," Allison said. "I'll ring you later, okay? Say hello to Ethan for us."

"I will," Maddie said goodbye and was gone. Allison sighed and rubbed at her eyes, hoping against hope that Molly and Arthur would be free to watch the girls.

Caroline plopped down next to her mother. "Where is Daddy taking you again?"

"We're just going to Yorkshire sweetheart," Allison replied absently. "Just for our anniversary. But we may have to do it another weekend."

"But it won't be your anniversary on another weekend," Caroline said snuggling close to her mother. "Or your birthday."

"I know baby," Allison stroked her daughter's hair.

"I wish we could have stayed with Katie and Ashley," Caroline said softly. "But they're busy too right?"

"Right love," Allison said. "There's still a chance you might be able to stay with your grandparents though. That's why Daddy went over there."

"I'm going to go play in my room," Caroline said. She was really working on something for her mother's birthday, but she certainly wasn't going to tell her about that yet. "I love you Mummy."

"I love you too sweetheart," Allison smiled as her daughter gave her a big hug.

Caroline gave her mother a little wave before scampering back to her bedroom.

Allison sat back and closed her eyes, enjoying the momentary peace and quiet. Emma had gone down for a kip more than an hour before, so she would most likely be waking up anytime now. The fireplace whooshed to life at that moment, and her husband came tumbling out.

Jon dusted himself off and wondered how he was going to tell his wife the bad news. They'd both been looking forward to this. He just hoped that Maddie may have come through for them.

"Hey you," Jon said giving his wife a weak smile.

"Hey," Allison smiled back. "Please tell me you have some good news..."

"Well it seems that our anniversary coincides with some big party in Ottery St-Catchpole which my Nana happens to be catering," Jon said with a frown. "And Grandpa's planning to show off a bunch of his Muggle things."

Allison's face fell. "Great," she muttered. "Maddie can't do it either. She's having vision after vision lately and has been spending all her time at the Ministry."

Jon put his hands on her shoulder. "We're not postponing this. This is our anniversary. We've not gone away just the two of us since before Caroline was born. We need this."

"I know we do," Allison said. "But we obviously can't leave our girls home alone now can we?"

"No," Jon said. An idea suddenly came to him. "What about Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds next door?"

"They're gone," Allison replied gloomily. "Visiting their own relatives."

"Chris and Margot?" Jon offered thinking of two of their old Hogwarts friends.

Allison simply shook her head.

Jon saw his wife was near tears and he took her in his arms. "It's going to work out, Al."

"It sure doesn't seem like it will," Allison said, resting her head on his shoulder. "I miss being with you so much Jon. I wouldn't trade our life as we have it right now for anything in the world but sometimes I just need to be alone with you."

Jon pulled her closer. "I need it too, Allie. We'll..."

His voice trailed off as he saw a picture of Allison with her two sisters on the coffee table. "Hang on just a second. There is someone we haven't thought about..."

"Who?" Allison perked up.

Jon picked up the picture and handed it to his wife. "Frankie."

Allison raised an eyebrow. "You want Frankie to watch our girls?"

"She wouldn't be my first choice, no," Jon admitted. "But she is their aunt."

"She never shows any interest in watching the girls," Allison said. "But then again... we never really ask her if she'd stay with them when we need them to be watched..."

"And we are desperate," Jon said. "It's worth a try, Al. I know with the way things are going, she'll probably turn us down, but ..."

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask," Allison grabbed a pinch of Floo powder and stuck her head into the fireplace, calling out to her sister.

Frankie had been going over some press releases in her office when she saw heard her sister call out to her. "Allison?"

"Hey Frankie," Allison said. "Have you got a minute?"

"Sure," Frankie said setting her paperwork aside. "You know my offer still stands. You are welcome to borrow one of my dresses for your weekend away. I have just the one for you...it's black with this really cute beading on the bodice..."

"That's not why I'm bugging you," Allison said. "I know you're probably busy since this is incredibly late notice but... well Jon and I were wondering if you'd be willing to watch the girls for us this weekend. No one else can."

"Watch the girls do what?" Frankie asked.

"You know, stay here with them." Allison chewed on her lower lip.

Frankie stared at her in disbelief. "You want ME to baby sit?"

"Well... yes." Allison said.

"You mean like feed them and stuff? And...and clean dirty nappies? That sort of thing?" Frankie asked.

"If you can't we understand," Allison said hastily. "I just thought maybe... you'd be free."

Frankie thought about this. As a matter of fact, she was free. She was involved in public relations for the Puddlemere Quidditch team and actually had this weekend off. Will was out of town visiting his parents and she'd wondered what she'd do for the weekend. She loved her nieces, but she wasn't so sure she was up to spending an entire weekend with them.

"You really have no other options, do you?" Frankie asked.

"Not really," Allison said ruefully. "You're sort of our last hope."

Frankie wanted to say no, but she knew how long her sister had been looking forward to this weekend. And if anyone deserved a break, it was Allison and Jon.

"I'll do it," she said giving her sister a smile. "Babysitting could be fun."

"I understand Frankie, you're busy-- wait what?" Allison stopped. "You'll do it?"

Frankie nodded. "Why not? I didn't really have any plans this weekend. And you did say I was your only hope."

"You have no idea how much this means to us," Allison said excitedly. "Frankie thank you so much. Jon and I owe you big time."

"No problem," Frankie said wondering what she was getting herself into. "Um, what time did you need me to come by?"

"Around three tomorrow afternoon if possible?" Allison asked.

"I'll come a little early so you can show me what I need to do," Frankie said.

"All right," Allison said. "Thank you so much. You've no idea what a favour you're doing for us Frankie."

"It's my pleasure," Frankie said genuinely happy to help her sister and brother-in-law out, but a little apprehensive about spending an entire weekend by herself with a four-year old and a baby.

"She's going to do it!" Allison exclaimed brightly to Jon, pulling her head out of the fireplace. "We can go!"

"You're kidding, right?" Jon asked. He'd thought for sure that Frankie would turn them down. "Really?"

"She said she'd come by a little early tomorrow so we could show her what to do," Allison hugged him tightly. "We're finally getting our weekend away!"

Jon swung her around. "A weekend away with my beautiful wife...with no interruptions....no dirty nappies...."

Allison kissed him hungrily. "There's a taste of what's to come," she whispered.

"You know we probably won't leave our room the entire weekend," he said grinning at her.

"That's fine with me," Allison said, her forehead resting against his. "You're the only thing I plan on doing this weekend." she gave him a wicked little smile.

"Mrs. Weasley, I like the sound of that," he said kissing her again.

*** *** ***

Maddie held Ethan's hand as they walked out of the restaurant onto Diagon Alley. It had been the only time they'd seen each other this week as they'd both been busy with work.

"I hope Allie and Jon were able to find someone to watch the girls," Maddie said. "I feel horrible about not being able to take them."

"I'm sure they understand," Ethan reassured her. "Besides, they'd rather reschedule than have something happen to you or Caroline or Emma if you had a vision."

"I went nearly two months without seeing anything and now it's like they're happening every day," Maddie said shaking her head.

"Anything really bad?" Ethan asked.

"I can't say," Maddie said apologetically. "I'm sorry, Ethan. I wish I could..."

"I understand," he replied quickly. "There's a lot of things about my Auror assignments that I haven't been able to tell you either."

"Good," Maddie said. "I was worried. It's hard not to share this with you."

Ethan pulled his hand out of hers and slipped his arm around her shoulders. "Enough about work," he said. "I haven't seen you in a week and I'd rather talk about something more fun."

Maddie smiled. "Like what?"

"I don't know," he grinned back at her. "Just something other than work."

"You're putting pressure on me now," Maddie giggled. "I can't think of anything to talk about."

"Who says we need to talk?" Ethan asked, a gleam in his brown eyes.

"Not me," Maddie said inching closer to him.

"Have I been a corrupting influence on you?" he asked softly. "A few months ago you wouldn't dream of kissing in public..."

"Well we haven't seen each other in a week," she said. "And I've wanted you to kiss me all evening.."

Ethan touched her cheek softly. "I've been thinking about snogging you all week long..."

Someone walking by bumped into Maddie causing her to stumble against Ethan. The woman stopped in her tracks. "I'm sorry. I wasn't watching...Ethan?"

Ethan was slightly annoyed that he'd gotten interrupted but his eyes opened wide when he saw the woman standing in front of him. "Bree?"

Bree nodded. She stared at her ex-boyfriend and Madeline Weasley and wished she'd just kept walking. This was the first time she'd seen him in months. An almost unbearable silence followed as no one knew what to say.

"How are you?" Ethan finally interjected awkwardly. "It's um... it's been awhile."

"Yes it has," Bree said giving him a slight smile. "Hello, Maddie."

"Hello Bree," Maddie smiled graciously at her. "It's lovely to see you again."

Bree had heard from some mutual friends about Ethan's relationship with Maddie but she'd brushed it off and insisted she hadn't cared. Of course, it was easy to say that when she didn't have to see them together. Her eyes fell on their joined hands and she quickly looked away.

"Um, I'm going to go and say hello to my Uncle Fred," Maddie said motioning toward the joke shop across the street. "I'll let you two catch up."

"I'll be there in a bit," Ethan said. "So um... how have you been?" he asked once Maddie was gone.

"Fine," Bree said quickly. "I graduated from University and I've spent the last few months travelling. I start my new job Monday."

"Congratulations," Ethan said. "I bet you were at the top of your class."

Bree blushed. "Well, you know...."

Another awkward silence followed. Bree looked over at him. "What about you? What have you been up to? Tom told me you were finishing up your training?"

"Yeah, I got to work with my dad," Ethan grinned. "It ends next week and I'm officially an Auror."

Bree smiled genuinely happy for him. "That's great, Ethan."

"So where are you going to be working?" he asked, feeling more comfortable with his ex girlfriend.

"I'm going to work at the Ministry actually," Bree replied. "In the International Magical Office of Law."

"That's fantastic," Ethan replied. "Are you still interested in deciphering runes like you used to be?"

"I wrote my thesis on it actually," Bree said pleased that he remembered. "It was published in two journals."

"Wow," Ethan was impressed. "That's incredible Bree."

"Thanks," Bree said. "But what about you...working with your dad! Do you think you'll still be able to do that once your training is over?"

"I probably won't be able to," Ethan said. "He's on a whole other level than I am- I'll have to work my way up to those sorts of assignments he gets."

"You'll get there soon," Bree told him. "You really were made for that job."

"Thanks," Ethan said. "So what else have you been up to? Are you... seeing anyone?"

Bree looked away not wanting to admit that she hadn't seen anyone since their break up. Instead, she decided to ask him about Maddie.

"You and Maddie?" she asked him. "How long has that been going on?"

"Since June," Ethan said. "Our families went to Brighton together and we... just sort of hooked up there." he ran his hands through his hair. "Look I know things ended on a bit of a bad note between us--"

"That's putting it mildly," she said folding her arms and trying not to laugh.

"I didn't want it to," he said honestly. "I know I was an arse, breaking up with you during the holidays. I wish I could take it back. I really didn't want to ruin your Christmas."

"Oh get over yourself," Bree said touching his arm. "I was just teasing, Ethan. I'm...I'm happy for you and Maddie, really."

He shook his head. "Thanks," he grinned at her. "Making me feel like an arse all over again." he joked.

"I couldn't resist," she said laughing.

"You never could," he retorted playfully. "So come on, how come you're not snagged up by some intellect from University?"

"Because I concentrated on my studies," she said. "But you know my friends. They're always trying to set me up with someone."

"Aye," Ethan smiled. "I know that quite well."

"So I've gone on some horrid blind dates," Bree joked.

"I better not be included in that," Ethan said with a straight face.

"You're not," she assured him.

"Good to hear," Ethan said.

"Uncle Fred says hi," Maddie joined the two of them outside again. "He wanted me to give you a Canary Cream but I told him to wait until I had more than one free evening a week with you."

Ethan laughed. "Thanks Mads."

Bree looked at her watch. "I should really be going. It was great to see you again, Ethan. And you too, Maddie."

"We should keep in touch," Ethan said. "I'll owl you sometime."

"I'd like that," Bree said smiling at him. "And maybe we'll run into each other at the Ministry."

"I'm sure we will," Ethan said.

"Bye Bree," Maddie said. "It was nice seeing you again."

"It was really nice to see you too," Bree said smiling at Maddie.

When they were alone again, Maddie apologised for leaving him earlier. "I just thought you'd want to catch up. Everything's okay isn't it?"

"Yeah," Ethan replied. "We cleared up a bit of air between us."

"That's great," Maddie said smiling at him. "I know how horrible you felt after what happened at the Burrow."

Ethan took her hand as they began to walk again. "Yeah but this is better. You and me are better suited for each other."

"You don't have to reassure me, Ethan," she said sincerely. "But I am glad to hear you say that."

"Speaking of clearing air," Ethan stopped and pulled her into a small nook. "I'd like to share some air with you right now."

"Would you now?" Maddie asked.

"Very much so," he said with a mischievous grin.

"I'm all for sharing," Maddie said softly wrapping her arms around him.

Ethan leaned in as did she and pressed his lips firmly to hers.

Maddie relaxed against him forgetting for the moment about training, visions and her guilt about Jon and Allie.

He rubbed her cheek with his thumb, enjoying the closeness of the moment.

"I've missed you," she whispered rested her head on his chest.

"I wish we could go back to having all that free time we had when we were in Brighton," Ethan ran his hand through her long ponytail.

"I know," Maddie said. "But we're not always going to be this busy. At least that's what I keep telling myself."

"That's true," he said. "I hope things ease up soon. I miss seeing you almost every day."

"Yes, but you're getting to work with your dad," Maddie said looking up at him. "And I know you can't tell me any of the specifics, but I know you're enjoying that."

"Oh always," Ethan said. "But I still miss spending time with you."

"I miss it too," she said kissing him.

"Why don't you stay over tonight?" he suggested when they pulled apart.

Maddie frowned. "I can't, Ethan. I'm actually supposed to go back to work later tonight."

"Oh," he said, obviously disappointed. "All right then..."

"I would much rather be with you," she said smiling up at him. "You know that, right?"

"Yeah I know," Ethan nipped at her lower lip.

"You can walk me home," she said. "I'm sure Mum and Dad would love to see you. And I wanted to spend a bit of time with them before they leave tomorrow."

"All right," he said. "But promise me soon that we'll be able to spend at least more than an hour together."

"I promise," Maddie said. She shook her head. "You know there was a time not too long ago when you never wanted to spend time with me."

He gave her a gentle pinch. "That was fourteen years ago Madeline Molly."

"You were just playing hard to get then?" she teased.

"You could say that," he joked back.

"I was a bit of a pest," she admitted. "I don't know how you put up with me."

"I always begged my dad to tell you to leave me alone," Ethan confessed as they began walking again. "He always told me you were harmless."

"And I used to beg my mum and dad to let me visit," Maddie said grinning at him. "Drew and Darla tease me about that all the time now."

Ethan grinned back and squeezed her hand. "And now we can't get enough of each other."

They walked in silence for a few moments enjoying each other's company.

"How is your grandfather doing?" Maddie asked. "I've been meaning to stop by and see him."

"He's doing a lot better," Ethan replied. "Saffy's been home to visit him every weekend and everyone else is keeping him company during the week. He has to use a cane to walk around now though, which he hates."

"Will he have to do that for very long?" Maddie asked.

"Most likely," Ethan said. "He was in a wheelchair at first and he hated that even more."

"That can't be very easy for him," Maddie said thoughtfully. "I've always known your grandfather to be such an active man; always on the go, you know?"

"It's been hard for all of us to see him this way, but better he's walking around with a cane than something worse," Ethan said.

"Right," Maddie said nodding. "And how about Saffy? How's she doing with all this?"

"She's fine, especially since my dad worked it out so she could come home every weekend to help our grandfather out," Ethan smiled. "She loves to be needed."

"I'm sure your grandpa likes that," Maddie said. "I know how close they are."

"It's good to see her more often too," Ethan replied as they approached the Weasley home.

"And I know she loves that," Maddie said leading her boyfriend up the walkway.

"Aye," Ethan smiled at her. "She told me you're not around often enough."

"I know," she said guiltily. "I'm not around enough for anyone these days."

"She made me promise to invite you over for dinner next weekend," Ethan said as they stood in front of her door.

"I promise I will be there," she vowed.

"I should let you spend some time with your parents," Ethan said, not wanting to leave her at all.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "It's just that they're going to be gone for Mum's book tour..."

"I understand," Ethan said. "We'll do something together tomorrow night... unless you have to work again."

"I'll let you know," Maddie said not wanting to promise him anything. Smythe might spring something new on her tonight and she'd hate to disappoint her boyfriend again.

"It'll ease up soon," Ethan touched her cheek.

"I hope so," Maddie said leaning in to kiss him good night.

"Love you," Ethan said quietly when they pulled apart.

"Love you," she whispered before going inside.

*** *** ***

Jon gave his baby daughter his most goofy face as he set her down on the changing table.

"You were supposed to save the gross stuff for your Aunt Frankie," he teased as Emma just looked sweetly up at her father.

"Jon did you pack--" Allison called.

"Yes I packed my dress trousers," Jon shouted back.

"What about your---" Allison called out again.

"Yes my dress shirt too," Jon made another face at Emma. "Maybe I should stick your dirty nappy in there for your mum."

Allison walked into the nursery. "I heard that."

He grinned at her. "I meant for you to."

Allison mussed his hair. "Very funny Jon."

"When's Frankie getting here?" he asked.

"About half an hour," Allison replied. "You still think this is a good idea? Leaving the girls with her?"

"She's your sister," Jon pointed out.

"I know," Allison said. "But she's never been alone with them for an entire weekend. I'm just apprehensive is all."

"If worse comes to worse she knows how to get a hold of us," Jon said reassuringly. "Besides, Ethan said he would be around if she needed his help with anything."

Allison nodded. "You're right."

She sat down in the rocking chair as Jon finished changing Emma. Despite her apprehension at leaving her daughters, she was really looking forward to some alone time with her husband.

"Mummy when is Aunt Frankie coming?" Caroline ran into the nursery.

"Soon baby," Allison said as Caroline sat in her lap. "And you're going to be a really good girl and help her, right?"

Caroline nodded eagerly. "I can't wait!"

"Can't wait to get rid of your Mummy and Daddy eh Angel Girl?" Jon asked over his shoulder.

"Aunt Frankie will help me with Mummy's birthday present!" Caroline bubbled excitedly.

"I can't wait to see what my big surprise is," Allison said putting her arms around her daughter.

"You're going to love it Mummy," Caroline said. "But you don't get it until you come back!"

"You always give the best presents," Allison said tickling Caroline's side.

"I know," the little girl giggled uncontrollably.

"We'll need to remind Frankie that Em is teething now," Jon said as he picked the baby up from the dressing table.

"And therefore crying a lot," Allison said. "I put all her teething rings in the icebox about two hours ago."

Jon lifted Emma over his head and made a goofy face which caused her to laugh. "You're not going to cry a lot are you? Not for Auntie Frankie, right? You're going to be a good little girl."

"I'll help her be a good girl Daddy," Caroline said.

"Just make sure you don't yell at her anymore," Allison cautioned.

"Mummy that was a long time ago," Caroline put her little hands on her hips. "I don't do that anymore!"

"I know, I know," Allison said grinning at her. "I was just reminding you baby. That's all."

"I left some of that salve that we put on her gums out in the kitchen," Jon carried Emma out of the small nursery.

"I am very impressed," Allison said taking Caroline's hand and following her husband. "You remembered that. You remembered to pack your dress trousers and shirt..."

"My wife has been a good influence on me," Jon said mischievously.

"Well she's had over 12 years experience," Allison pointed out. "And she has known you since she was Emma's age."

"But I didn't get to bathe with my wife like Josh did with his," Jon said, causing Allison to hit him on the arm.

"Jonathan," Allison said. "Remember the c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n."

Jon glanced at his older daughter who smiled back at him innocently. "How come Uncle Josh took a bath with Aunt Lizzy?"

Allison glared at her husband. Caroline didn't miss a trick. "Um, well...when we were all little kids, we used to go down to Brighton like we did last summer. And well, your grandma and Lizzy's mum used to give them baths at the same time. That's all."

"Does that mean that Uncle Ethan and Aunt Maddie take baths together too?" Caroline asked. "Like when I take a bath with Max sometimes?"

"N-no," Allison sputtered. "Of course not, Caroline."

Jon had a disgusted look on his face at the suggestion. "I don't even want to think about my baby sister...."

"Hang on a minute," Allison said looking at her husband. "When does Caroline take baths with Max?"

"Uh," Jon began. "Well you uh remember--"

"Hello?" Frankie's voice came from the sitting room. "Allie? I'm here!"

"Auntie Frankie!" Caroline screamed out excitedly running to greet her aunt.

"We'll talk more about this on the way to Yorkshire," Allison said winking at her husband.

"Can't wait," Jon muttered.

Allison walked into the sitting room to greet her younger sister and noticed that she had two large suitcases with her. "Frankie? You're only going to be here for the weekend..."

"Yes but you never know who might stop by," Frankie grinned.

Allison folded her arms. "Who might be stopping by, Francesca?"

"If Will happens to get back from seeing his parents he said he might drop on by for dinner," Frankie said. "I promise to be good Allie."

A new surge of doubts swam into her mind, but Allison didn't voice them. She just hoped that her sister kept that promise. The last thing she wanted to do was come home to have to explain to her oldest daughter why some strange bloke slept over.

"Well, um," Allison said instead. "I should probably go over some things with you about the girls."

"Okay," Frankie said as Jon passed Emma over to her. "Shoot."

Allison sat down on the sofa. "Well Caroline usually goes to sleep around eight or so. She likes you to read to her, but usually she ends up reading to you instead..."

"Okay," Frankie smiled at Caroline who was bouncing excitedly on the sofa.

"You're welcome to order some takeaway for dinner," Allison continued. "There's some cereal and milk and fruit for breakfast. Jon went to the shops this morning and loaded up for you. And for lunch, we have bread and some turkey and such if you wanted to make sandwiches."

"Sounds good to me," Frankie replied. "What about that dog of yours- Mark?"

"Max," Jon corrected. "And he's not too much trouble, Frankie."

"I'll help you with him Aunt Frankie," Caroline said, plopping down next to her aunt.

"She's really good with him," Allison said. "She feeds him and gets him fresh water so you won't have to worry too much about that. But you will have to let him out every now and again...he'll let you know when he has to go."

Frankie nodded again. "Ethan owled me and said he would be around and about if I needed him but I don't think I will, right Caroline?"

"You're going to do good," Caroline said nodding.

For the next few minutes, Allison told Frankie about Emma's teething and about her sleep and feeding schedule.

"And I think that's about it," Allison said looking to Jon who nodded.

"And I've got the name of the place you're going to be, so if I need to find you guys I can," Frankie finished.

"We really appreciate this," Allison said.

"She comes through for us again," Jon said grinning at his sister-in-law. "Caroline, did you know that your Aunt Frankie helped me and your mum out way back when?"

"You did?" Caroline asked.

"I did," Frankie said proudly. "When your mother and father couldn't see each other, it was me who helped your Dad find a way to come and see her."

"How come you couldn't see each other?" Caroline asked.

"Well, your grandpa was really protective," Allison said. "And he---he didn't like me dating."

"Grandpa Neville didn't like Daddy?" Caroline's eyes were huge. "How could anyone not love Daddy?"

"I know," Jon said with a laugh. "How could anyone not love Daddy?"

"I could probably name a few reasons," Frankie teased.

"We really should go," Jon interjected hastily.

"I want to hear more about this," Caroline said. "Why did Grandpa Neville not like Daddy?"

"I'll tell you later," Frankie winked at her niece.

Caroline clapped her hands together excitedly.

"Just make sure you don't tell her everything," Allison whispered to her sister.

"I already told you I'd be good," Frankie whispered back. "Now go enjoy your anniversary and birthday."

Allison smiled. "Thanks, Frankie. I mean that."

"No problem," Frankie replied. "Now get out of here and let me spend some time with my nieces."

Jon carried their luggage into the sitting room and then gave Caroline a big hug. "We're going to miss you Angel Girl."

"I'll miss you too Daddy," Caroline hugged him back. "Don't forget a present for me!"

"We won't," Jon promised.

Tears welled up in Allison's eyes as she gave her baby daughter a kiss on the forehead. "I told myself not to cry..."

"Allie you're only going to be gone until Sunday afternoon," Frankie rolled her eyes.

"I know," Allison said. "And I've been looking forward to this for weeks. It's just hard to say goodbye, that's all."

"We'll be okay Mummy," Caroline promised.

"I know you will," Allison said giving Caroline a hug and kiss. "Be good for Aunt Frankie, okay?"

"Okay," Caroline smiled.

"Come on Allie," Jon said gently. "We should get going."

"Okay," Allison said reluctantly as Frankie made Emma wave her little hand at them.

"Say bye to Mummy," Frankie whispered.

"Bye Mummy!" Caroline called out spiritedly as her parents disappeared through the Floo network. "Bye Daddy!"

"I thought they'd never leave," Frankie joked. She looked down at the baby wondering what they could do now. "So what do you two ladies want to do first?"

"Can we watch a movie?" Caroline asked. "No- I want to have some popcorn!"

"We can do both," Frankie suggested. "I just hope it's not all buttery. That's loaded in calories."

"What are calories?" Caroline asked.

"Nothing you'll have to worry about for quite some time," Frankie answered. "So what movie do you want to watch?"

"The Lion King!" Caroline shouted. "It's my favourite!"

"I know that one!" Frankie said nodding. "I watched that when I was a little girl."

"Grandpa gave it to me," Caroline bubbled. "It's my most favourite!"

Frankie smiled. "Well let me put your sister down in the nursery and we can watch it."

"Okay," Caroline said agreeably. "Me and Max can wait on the sofa."

Frankie hummed a happy tune as she carried the baby back to the nursery. This babysitting thing was going to be a breeze, she thought.

*** *** ***

Saffron could barely keep her eyes open as she finished her essay for her Charms class. She was bound and determined to keep her marks up so she could continue going home every weekend to help her grandfather.

Deciding that one essay was enough for that evening, Saffron packed her books into her bag and stacked the rest of them for Madam Pince to reshelve.

"You going back to the common room?" her best friend Alexa asked.

"Yeah," Saffron yawned. "I'm really knackered."

"I'd come with but I really need to finish this," Alexa said looking up from her own essay. "I can't write nearly as well as you."

"I'd help you with it but I can't even keep my eyes open," Saffron said apologetically. "I'll look over it for you tomorrow if you want, during breakfast."

"Thanks Saffy," Alexa said gratefully. "I'll be upstairs soon. I promise."

"See you later," Saffron waved and left the library, humming a little tune to keep herself awake as she plodded back to her dormitory.

"Well, well, well," a boy's voice called out from behind. Saffron slowly turned around and saw it was that horrible Nigel McDonald, a Slytherin prefect and one of Snape's favourite students.

"What do you want?" she asked rudely, rolling her eyes.

"Mind your attitude Potter," Nigel said icily. "Just because you're the Minister's daughter that doesn't hold any weight with me. I am still a school prefect."

"I don't care what or who you are," Saffron turned to walk away when he grabbed her arm. "Hey let me go!"

"I said for you to mind your attitude Potter," he growled. "No one's going to come to your defence this time. I've had about enough of you and the special treatment you get. Getting to go home on weekends. Having your marks overturned..."

"That's none of your business," Saffron said. "And I'm not scared of you Nigel."

Nigel tightened his grip on her arm. "Someone ought to really teach you a lesson..."

"Well it's not going to be you," R.J. interjected coming up behind them. "Let her go, McDonald. Now."

"Weasel," Nigel scowled at him.

"I said let her go," R.J. said firmly.

"What are you going to do if I don't?" Nigel sneered, giving Saffron's arm one more yank before dropping it.

"You don't really want to find out," R.J. said glaring at Nigel before tending to Saffron. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," Saffron said. "Bloody wanker."

"I am a prefect," Nigel reminded her. "You can't talk to me like that. I don't care what your bloody name is."

"I'm sure Dumbledore would love to know how you're abusing the privilege he gave you," R.J. returned coolly. "Beat it Nigel- and I don't care if you're a prefect or not."

"I'll go for now," Nigel said. "But I'm going to be watching you both. You can count on that." With that, he turned on his heels and quickly walked away.

"Are you sure you're okay Saf?" R.J. asked.

"I'm fine," Saffron inspected her arm. "I hope I don't have a bruise. He has a really tight grip."

"What was he on about this time?" R.J. asked.

"He thinks I'm getting special treatment because I get to go home every weekend," Saffron replied as R.J. courteously took her bag. "I guess he doesn't know that I'm working for it by keeping my marks up."

"How is your grandfather doing?" R.J. asked. "Getting any better?"

Saffron nodded happily. "He's walking around now, but with a cane. We're so glad just to have him out of the wheelchair."

"That's good at least," R.J. said. "I just heard from my mum and dad today. You know my mum's latest book was published on Tuesday, right? Well, she's going on this book tour promoting it across the country. "

"How cool," Saffron commented. "You must be really proud of her."

"I am," R.J. said with a smile. They walked up the stairs toward the common room. "Saf? I thought you were going home this weekend. Are you not leaving until tomorrow morning or something?"

"I have to stay this weekend," Saffron frowned. "My mum and dad had to go out of town for work."

"Don't look so glum," R.J. said. "You can keep me company this weekend. You heard about my mates Roger and Brent coming down with the flu, right? They're stuck with Madame Pomfrey all weekend and I am desperate for some company."

"I wish it was a Hogsmeade weekend," Saffron replied.

"So you could buy me some sweets?" he asked with a grin. "Or I know something really awesome from the Quidditch shop. I keep trying to tell you Saf, you don't have to buy my friendship..."

"You wish R.J.," Saffron rolled her eyes but laughed.

"What's the password?" R.J. asked. "I know they just changed it, but I forgot..."

"Buttercup," Saffron spoke and the portrait door swung open.

"I'm glad you said it and not me," R.J. said wincing as they stepped through.

Saffron shook her head. "You boys are so silly about things."

"Come on," R.J. said. "Saffy, the passwords so far this year have been so lame. Buttercup, Periwinkle, Tinkerbell. You know that Melinda Goyle is the prissiest girl on the planet and she keeps coming up with these horrible names just to punish the blokes."

Saffron laughed. "Her mum is my healer so I can't say anything bad about her."

"Fair enough," R.J. said. "I should probably head up to bed. We're still on for chess tomorrow, right? And Exploding Snap if you're up for it."

"Sure," Saffron nodded. "I'm going to sleep in but definitely in the afternoon." she knew he was trying to think of ways to keep her mind off her grandfather and she appreciated it.

"Okay," R.J. said smiling at her. "Sleep well Saffy."

"You too R.J.," Saffron climbed the steps to her dormitory and nearly fell face first into her bed.