Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Thanks for reading and reviewing! We do want to address one thing. This story is really a series of storylines involving the different characters over different periods of time. Some will last only a chapter but others will carry out over a few chapters. This Malfoy storyline is one that will play out over a number of chapters. But you will also get to see some of the Potter, Weasley and Malfoy sproglets as they grow up and fall in love and start their own families. So, in a way, this story "Last Dance" will never really end. We're adding to it as we go along. And this will be longer than Time of Their Life. Sorry for the long note, but we both wanted to clear up the confusion. We hope you enjoy this latest chapter!

CHAPTER SIX

Lucius looked on in satisfaction as the Potters stormed away. "Perfect," he said snidely.

"I'm glad they finally showed up," Draco said. "If I had to watch their sickeningly sweet family scene for one more minute..."

Lucius snarled. "Quite disgusting."

"And in a Muggle park, too," Draco said shuddering. "The Minister shouldn't be here."

"She is a Mudblood," Lucius said as they left their spot.

"Don't remind me," Draco said. "Too bad Potter ruined the film though..."

"Good thing we have backup," Lucius said, an evil glint in his eye as he held up his own camera.

Draco had to admit his father had thought of everything. He was still quite wary around his father and wasn't entirely sure he could trust him, but Lucius did know what he was doing. No one did revenge like a Malfoy.

"You have much to learn Draco," Lucius said coolly.

Draco rolled his eyes. "You act as if I'm some incompetent riding your coattails, Father. I've given you respect. I wish you would do the same for me...and my wife."

"Your wife is nothing but a fortune hunter." Lucius retorted.

"I wish you and Mother would ease up on Ginny," Draco said. "Whenever I come home, she complains non-stop about something you said or mother did..."

"IF she can prove herself as a Malfoy," Lucius said coolly. "We would accept her."

"What would you have her do?" Draco asked him. "Kill someone? Steal?"

"She needs to get the Weasley out of her," Lucius snapped.

"She's going to be the next Minister's wife," Draco said glaring at his father.

"We'll see how she does," Lucius said noncommittally.

"I start work at St. Mungos tomorrow," Draco said wanting to change the subject. "The paper's supposed to make the announcement tomorrow...right along with the latest article on Potter and Minister Mudblood."

"Good." Lucius nodded. "Let's get these to the Prophet. Those idiots should be paying us for this not the other way around."

Draco nodded. "Too right."

"While you're working in St Mungos," Lucius began. "You're to find out as much as about that Mudblood as you can. Any sicknesses we can expose, or anything she's tried to keep hidden."

"Right," Draco said thoughtfully. "Apparently, he had trouble knocking her up after they had their first brat."

Lucius grinned wickedly. "Good." he said. "Brilliant."

"You could also look into that Gordon Devereaux incident a few years back," Draco suggested.

"Why does that name sound familiar?" Lucius mused.

"He was some mad lunatic who had it bad for the Mudblood," Draco said with as shrug. "Kidnapped her and had some crazy plan to take her away and use some binding spell on her. Too bad he didn't succeed, right?"

Lucius nodded slowly. "We'll have them make it sound like she led the bloke on and then turned on him in the last moment."

"And he's locked away in the psych ward at St. Mungos," Draco said thinking aloud. "We could try and get some things out of him."

Lucius nodded approvingly. "You do have it in you," he said proudly.

Draco had never seen his father look at him that way. "Thank you, Father."

"Don't disappoint me," Lucius continued.

"I have no intentions to do so," Draco said. "I want this more than anything I've ever wanted in my life."

"I just want to see the Malfoy name rise to where it was," Lucius said coldly.

"Back on top," Draco said. "Where we belong."

"Right." Lucius replied. "And we'll stay there. And if that ingrate of a son of yours tries to crawl back in--"

"I thought you wanted him back in the fold," Draco said raising an eyebrow at him. "I thought that was one of the reasons you wanted to do this."

"Draco, if the boy never cared, why should I?" Lucius raised an eyebrow back at him.

"So Mother is the one that wants him back?" Draco asked him.

"He will not be welcomed back," Lucius snapped.

"What if I want him back?" Draco challenged.

"Do you?" Lucius stopped and faced his son. "Do you really want a boy that can easily turn his back and destroy everything we're working for? Look how he left you and your wife before. What makes you think he wouldn't do it again Draco?"

"I don't want him with a Potter, that's for damn sure!" Draco shot back. "Do you?"

"He means nothing to me," Lucius said, his eyes glittering dangerously. "He is already one of them."

"Does Mother know you feel that way?" Draco asked. If there was one thing his wife and mother had in common was their wish to have Nick back. Ginny talked a good game about Nick being ungrateful, but he knew that she still held out hope that he'd return to the family.

"Yes," Lucius nodded. "She does."

"And you've just agreed to disagree on that?" Draco asked in disbelief.

"She knows where I stand, and she will not try to cross me." Lucius answered confidently.

Draco wondered if he knew something his father didn't know. Every single chance Narcissa got, she told Draco about how Nicholas belonged with them.

"So while I'm working at St. Mungos what are you going to do?" Draco asked.

"I'm going to be working behind the scenes to bring the Potters down," Lucius rolled his eyes as if Draco were five years old and asking stupid questions.

Draco wondered about what sorts of things his father would be doing, but decided not to ask. His father's short fuse certainly hadn't been tamed by his time in Azkaban.

"Let's go and get that film to the Prophet," Draco said. "Then I need to get home to Ginny."

Lucius nodded. "Keep her in line Draco." he said.

Draco nodded and followed his father, but wondered if it wasn't Ginny who he had to keep in line.

*** *** ***

Ginny took a deep breath and silently counted to ten. For the past two hours, she and her mother-in-law had been in and of boutiques trying on new dress robes. Ginny resisted every single one of Narcissa's suggestions and if she wasn't so damn afraid of her father-in-law, she'd tell this horrible woman off and think nothing of it.

"This one is nice," Narcissa said holding up a black dress robe with pearl beading on the collar. "You should try it on."

"I don't like black," Ginny said tightly. "And I don't like pearls either. I prefer diamonds."

Narcissa sighed. "You're not making this easy, Ginevra."

"I have my own style," Ginny argued. "I wear what I like, and I actually like colours."

"Black is actually very slimming," Narcissa said pointedly looking Ginny up and down.

Ginny felt her face burn. "Are you implying that I'm NOT slim?" she asked, her brown eyes bright with anger.

"No," Narcissa said innocently. "I wasn't implying anything, dear. I thought I was being perfectly clear."

"I can shop for myself," Ginny snapped, turning away and huffing as she stomped out of the dress shoppe.

Meanwhile Greta was taking Ethan for a shopping trip to buy the young boy some new dress robes. Ethan detested shopping, but Greta promised him chocolate biscuits if he went with her.

"I know you would have liked to have gone with your dad, but..." Greta's voice trailed off as she recalled that horrible article in the newspaper.

"He had to spend time with Mum," Ethan replied. "Yeah I know."

Greta nodded. "And you want to look your best for Chiaki's wedding since you are in the wedding party."

"With Maddie," Ethan made a face.

Greta laughed. "Ethan, Madeline is a lovely little girl."

"Not to me she isn't," Ethan argued.

Greta tousled his hair. "You'll change your mind one day."

"No way," Ethan said vehemently. "I'm never getting married."

"Okay little man," Greta said stifling a laugh. "Let's get you sorted with some dress robes."

"Okay," Ethan said. "And we don't have to do any other shopping than that right?"

"No," she said laughing. "We don't have to do any other shopping."

"Good," Ethan said in relief. "Cause I really want those chocolate biscuits."

Greta smiled down at him. She led Ethan into Gladrags Wizardwear and saw that the shop was quite crowded. Greta sighed as she heard some of the customers speculating on the Potters' marriage. She just hoped that Ethan didn't hear.

"I want green robes," Ethan said. "Like my dad's."

"I think that can be arranged," Greta said starting to follow him toward the children's section. "You, my boy, are definitely your father's son."

"That's a good thing," Ethan grinned at her. "My dad's cool."

"Yes he is," Greta said. She was very happy working for the Potters and had come to love their children like her own.

"What about these?" Ethan pulled out a pair and grimaced when he saw the lacy collar. "Never mind." he shoved them quickly back in the rack.

Greta laughed and started browsing through the rack. She came along a pair of green dress robes that looked very much like the ones Mr. Potter was planning to wear for the wedding.

"How about these?" she asked Ethan, holding them up.

"Hey!" Ethan's eyes brightened. "Those are cool!"

"Why don't you go and try them on?" Greta said handing him the robes. "The dressing rooms are in the back."

"Okay," Ethan said. "I'll come out so you can see them."

Greta smiled and watched him head off to the dressing rooms. She decided to pick out a few other robes in case the green ones didn't fit.

"Your mothering skills left something to be desired," Greta heard a familiar voice say a few rows over. She peered over one of the racks and saw Ginny Malfoy and Narcissa Malfoy engaged in a rather heated conversation.

"MY parenting skills?" Ginny asked Narcissa. "That's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black!"

Greta stifled her gasp of surprise. What on earth was Ginny Malfoy doing here in London?

"At least MY son didn't disown me," Narcissa spat back.

"No," Ginny said sarcastically. "Draco just hasn't had anything to do with you for years."

"I chose to move away to Spain," Narcissa said coldly. "To give him a chance to breathe away from Lucius. And what did he do but take up with YOU! I should have stayed in his life so he wouldn't make such a big mistake!"

Greta hated to eavesdrop, but neither of the two women was bothering to keep their voices down. She couldn't believe the two of them were here of all places---together.

"I'm the best thing that ever happened to him," Ginny said icily. "He tells me that everyday."

"I'm sure he does," Narcissa smirked. "What sort of spell do you have him under? You're nothing but a fortune hunter."

"I don't have him under any spells!" Ginny retorted. "I make your son very happy. We've done just fine without your interference. And you acting like some concerned Grandmother when you don't care one jot about Nicholas..."

Narcissa smiled coolly. "My husband wants revenge and he will get it."

Greta was trying to inch closer to the two women when she felt a tug on her sleeve. She turned around to see Ethan wearing his dress robes and looking up at her.

"What do you think, Greta?" he asked, fiddling with the collar. "It's kind of itchy."

Greta quickly herded him away. "Perhaps we should look elsewhere," she said quietly.

"You promised," Ethan said looking up at her with confused eyes. "You said that we'd not do anymore shopping."

"Yes but we want to find you some nice robes right?" Greta whispered. "I don't want you to have an itchy collar."

"Okay," Ethan said grumpily, heading back to the dressing rooms. He looked over his shoulder at Greta. "But only one more shop and I'm done."

Greta nodded. "And I'll make double the amount of chocolate biscuits for you."

Ethan pumped his fists before disappearing into the dressing room. Greta doubled back to where she'd been standing to check on Ginny and Narcissa, but the two women were no longer there.

"Damn," Greta whispered. She needed to talk to her Nicholas, and she needed to do it fast. He had to know that his parents were in town before they did anything to him.

*** *** ***

Nick let himself into the little house he shared with Julie. It had been a long day and his throat was a bit sore from all the singing he'd done for his new album. He was looking forward to some tea with honey and for his girlfriend to come home, and to a nice quiet evening for the both of them.

He was just going through the post when he heard a knock on the door.

"Nicholas," Greta called out, knocking again. "It's me, Greta."

Nick smiled as he let her in. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" he joked, not noticing the look on her face at first. "Hey little man!" he gave Ethan a high five. "What are you guys doing here?"

Ethan shrugged. "Greta thought we'd stop in and see you before we went home."

Greta smiled weakly at Nick. "I hope we aren't bothering you."

"No I just got in myself." he said. "Can I get you guys anything?"

"Do you still have those muffins you had the other night?" Ethan asked. He looked over at Greta. "I promise I'll only eat one. It won't spoil my supper."

"I think there's a few in there," Nick smiled at him, ruffling his messy black hair. "Go on and help yourself."

"Okay," Ethan said taking off for the kitchen.

Nick looked back at his old nanny. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Greta sat down on the sofa. She explained to her former charge how she'd taken Ethan shopping for dress robes. "And we were having a great time until..."

"Until what?" Nick asked when she hesitated.

"While I was waiting for Ethan to come out of the changing room, I overheard these two women shouting at each other in the shop," Greta replied. She saw the confused look on Nick's face and Greta wished she didn't have to tell him. "It was...it was your mother, Nick. And your grandmother."

Nick stared at her for a moment. "Come again?"

"Your mother and Grandmother Malfoy," Greta said. "They were arguing with each other about---you."

"You have to be mistaken," Nick said slowly. "My mother can't be here and my grandmother... she disappeared years ago."

"I saw them both," Greta told him gently. "With my own two eyes, Nick. I could hardly believe it myself."

"This can't be right..." Nick ran his hands through his hair. "Why the hell would my mother be here in London?"

"I think it might have something to do with this," Greta said reaching for the latest copy of the Daily Prophet on the coffee table.

"I saw that," Nick replied grimly.

"How's Julie taking all of it?" Greta asked.

"She was upset but she knows Harry would never cheat on Hermione," Nick said. "She just wants these damn reporters to leave everyone in her family alone."

"I know," Greta said looking in the direction of the kitchen. "Ethan doesn't know. Harry and Hermione thought it best that they try and shield him from it. But, he goes back to school on Tuesday...."

"I don't know what?" Ethan asked coming out of the kitchen with a half-eaten muffin in his hand.

"Nothing," Nick said quickly.

Ethan looked at the copy of the newspaper in his nanny's lap. Greta moved to put it away, but Ethan could clearly make out his father's picture on the front page.

"Hey!" Ethan said excitedly. "That's Dad!'

Nick tried to pull it back. "It's just a made up story Ethan," he said, thinking fast.

"That's my Dad!" Ethan said dropping the muffin on the floor. "I want to see it!"

"Ethan pick that up," Greta chastised gently.

"No," Ethan said angrily. "Not until I see what's in that paper!"

"It's nothing," Nick crumpled the paper up and tossed it into the fireplace. "Trust me Ethan, it's just junk."

"This is why Mum and Dad wanted you to take me out of the house," Ethan said looking accusingly at Greta. "They're hiding something from me, aren't they?"

"No they're not," Greta replied. "You needed dress robes love."

Ethan stared at her. "You're lying to me, too."

"Ethan Greta doesn't lie," Nick said in her defence. "That was just a picture and a dumb article, I swear that's all."

"What did it say?" Ethan asked curiously. When neither Greta nor Nick answered him, Ethan bolted for the door.

"Hey where are you going?" Nick asked, racing behind him. "Ethan you can't go out running around by yourself you know that."

Ethan groaned when Nick caught his arm. "I want to know what that article said!'

"How about you ask your parents?" Nick suggested, hoping he wasn't risking Harry's wrath by saying this.

Ethan looked at Greta. "Can we go home now? So I can ask them?"

"Give us a few minutes to talk Ethan," Nick said. "Please?"

"Fine," Ethan said grumpily. He cleaned up the mess he'd made and mumbled something about going into the backyard to wait for Greta.

"So you're positive it was them?" Nick asked anxiously.

"Yes," Greta said. "I haven't mentioned it to anyone else. I thought you should be the first to know."

Nick sighed. "Damn it..."

"And you do realise your grandfather is out of prison as well," Greta said worriedly.

"They've got to be planning something," Nick bit his lower lip.

"Most definitely," Greta agreed. "But what?'

"That's the bad part," Nick said. "Who knows- anything goes with them. They probably had something to do with that." he pointed to the paper still sitting in the fireplace.

"Probably," Greta said. She sighed heavily. "Just when we thought we were free of them..."

"They have an uncanny way of showing back up," Nick finished. "Thanks for letting me know Greta."

"You're welcome," Greta said giving him a hug. "I should probably get Ethan home. I'm sure he has a number of questions."

Nick nodded and the two of them went to retrieve Ethan, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Ethan!" Greta called out, trying not to get worried. Ethan was always going off and hiding somewhere. She hoped this was one of those times. "Ethan!"

"Ethan come on!" Nick shouted, grimacing at the strain on his throat.

Greta saw some crumpled up paper by the big oak tree and frowned when she saw it was another copy of the Daily Prophet.

"Nick!" she asked picking it up. "Ethan saw this!"

"Shit," Nick sighed. "He probably went home... but we're all the way in Guilford!"

"What if he didn't go home?" Greta asked panic-stricken. "He's not going to understand about this, Nick. He looks up to his father...."

"He couldn't' have gotten far," Nick frowned. "Come on, let's go look for him,.

Greta nodded. Nearly a half hour later, she and Nick had not found Ethan and Greta was starting to really worry. They'd checked with all of Nick and Julie's neighbours and no one had seen him.

"We're going to have to tell Harry and Hermione," Greta said.

"Tell my parents what?" Julie had seen them on the pavement and was looking at them in confusion. "What's going on?"

"Now don't panic, Jules," Nick said putting his hands on her shoulders.

She gave him a look. "That's reassuring," she said sarcastically.

"Well," Nick said his voice quite scratchy. "Greta and Ethan stopped by and long story short---he saw that article about your parents. He's run off and we haven't been able to find him."

Julie paled. "Oh no," she moaned.

"Your parents didn't tell him yet," Greta explained. "They were hoping to tell him tonight over dinner. I didn't feel as if it was my place to say..."

"It's okay Greta," Julie said. "But we need to find him."

"I should tell your parents," Greta said as tears welled up in her eyes. "I was looking after him."

Julie wanted to comfort the older woman but finding her brother was topmost on her list of concerns.

"We already went and checked with everyone on the street," Nick explained. "No one's seen him, Jules."

Greta excused herself to floo back to the Potter home. She still held out hope that somehow Ethan had made it home.

"Harry?" Greta called out, trying to sound calm. "Hermione?"

Hermione was in the kitchen, making some tea. Greta could tell she was upset about something and it made her even more nervous.

"Hi Greta," Hermione said, rubbing her temples. "Did you manage to find Ethan some robes?"

"Yes," Greta said weakly. "We did. There's something I should tell you though."

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

A tear fell down Greta's cheek. "It's Ethan, he's...he's disappeared."

Hermione stared at her a moment. "He's what?" she shook her head. "Greta--"

"We stopped by Nick's," Greta said not even bothering to mention the whole Ginny and Narcissa Malfoy connection. None of that mattered now. "He saw a copy of the Daily Prophet. Nick...he and I tried to tell him it was nothing, but he wouldn't believe us. Nick and I were talking and Ethan went in the backyard. He---he somehow got a hold of another copy of the paper...."

Hermione sighed. "I knew we should have told him about it..." she ran to the stairs and called out for her husband.

Harry had been trying for the past hour to take a kip, but so far he hadn't succeeded. He was just getting to his feet when he heard his wife's anguished voice call out for him.

"What else could bloody go wrong today?" he asked aloud as he walked down the stairs.

"Harry," Hermione's lower lip was trembling. "Ethan saw the article at Nick's and he ran off."

Harry was speechless as he looked back and forth between his wife and Greta.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," Greta was saying over and over. "I'm so very sorry."

"How long has he been gone?" Harry finally managed to ask.

"About fifteen minutes," Greta said shakily. "Maybe twenty."

"I'm going to go look for him," Harry said grabbing his cloak.

"I'm going with you," Hermione said. "Greta, you don't mind staying with Saffy right?" she asked softly.

Greta nodded, feeling quite helpless.

"Thank you," Hermione managed a small smile, letting the woman know that they didn't blame her for Ethan's actions. "We'll be back soon."

"I should have listened to you," Harry said as Hermione grabbed her own cloak. "We should have told him. I just..." He was embarrassed to admit that he didn't want to have to explain this to his son. He didn't even know where to begin.

"Let's just find him first," Hermione said tersely as they left the house and Apparated to Nick and Julie's place in Guilford.

Ethan was shivering on a park bench a couple of streets over from his sister's house. No matter what he did, he couldn't get that image of his father and that girl out of his head. And that paper had said such horrible things about him. The last thing Ethan wanted to believe was that his father was capable of hurting his mum like that.

"All right, Nick and I will go this way," Harry said. "Hermione, you and Jules go that way."

The two couples promised to meet back at the house in about an hour. Harry was silent as he and Nick headed down the street.

"He's probably just hiding," Nick said helpfully. "You know how he loves to do that."

"I know," Harry said shortly. "When I find him I want to throttle him though. He knows better than to run off like this."

"Go easy on him mate," Nick said. "It couldn't have been easy for the kid to see that."

"No probably not," Harry said, walking even faster. "But he's not a stupid kid. He shouldn't run off- especially when there's people out there who would hurt him without a second thought."

"He probably wasn't thinking about that," Nick said quietly. He decided to stay silent about how he felt Harry should have told Ethan about this straightaway.

"Obviously," Harry said, calling out his son's name.

Nick saw a couple of blokes he recognised from the neighbourhood pub. He gave them a brief description of Ethan.

"I saw a kid in the park a few minutes ago," one of the men said. "He looked a little upset."

"Thanks mate," Nick said. "I appreciate that!" he and Harry dashed away.

Ethan shivered as he hugged his knees to his chest. Now that the sun was going down, the air was much cooler. He had no idea where he could go. He certainly didn't want to go home.

"Ethan!" Harry shouted as they arrived at the park and saw the little huddled figure on the bench.

Ethan turned to see his father and Nick approaching him. Ethan quickly got to his feet and started to walk away.

"You wait just a minute young man," Harry said angrily. "What the hell do you think you're doing, running off like that?"

"Let me go!" Ethan said struggling to get out of his father's grasp. "Let me go!"

"You're going home," Harry said, ignoring his son's words. "And you're grounded as well."

"I don't want to talk to you," Ethan said angrily. "I want to see Mum."

"You'll see her," Harry said grimly, keeping a hand firmly on Ethan's shoulder. "And if you're lucky she won't punish you too. Do you have any idea the worry you've caused? You had Greta nearly out of her mind when you weren't in the backyard where you said you'd be!"

"You're a liar!" Ethan spat back at him. "You hurt mum, Julie and Saffy and me. I don't ever want to talk to you again!"

Harry stared at him for a moment. "Back to the house," he snapped. "Right now." his tone left no room for arguments.

Ethan was silent as he walked back to the house with Nick and Harry.

"I didn't mean to make you worry, Nick," Ethan apologised, pointedly leaving his father out. "Or my sister. Or Greta. Or Mum."

"It really wasn't good to run off," Nick chose his words carefully. "And I told you that article was nothing but junk."

"Did HE tell you that?" Ethan said glaring up at his father.

"I said enough!" Harry glared at his son furiously.

Ethan scowled at him, but didn't say a word as they quickly made their way back to the house. Ethan caught sight of his mother and Julie down the street and breaking free from his father's grip, he ran toward his mother.

"Ethan James!" Hermione said throwing her arms around him. "You had me so worried, sweetheart!"

"I'm sorry Mum," Ethan said, hugging her tightly. "I'm sorry for everything."

"What on earth possessed you to run off Ethan?" Julie asked, also giving him a hug.

Ethan didn't answer her. He looked up at his mother. "It's okay, Mum. We don't need Dad. I'll take care of you and Saffy."

Confusion crossed Hermione's face. "I think we'd better take this inside," she said, seeing the smoke practically coming out of her husband's ears.

"He's grounded to his room for a week," Harry said as Julie unlocked the door. "And not only that, he's grounded from flying for two weeks."

"Harry," Hermione said looking at him. "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

"For running off and not telling anyone? No I don't think that's harsh." Harry snapped. "Now you explain yourself Ethan James."

Nick and Julie excused themselves as they promised to let Greta know that Ethan was safe.

"I don't want to talk to you," Ethan said grumpily, huddling up beside his mother.

"You have no choice in this matter," Harry's eyes were dark with anger. "Explain yourself, NOW."

"I read that article," Ethan said quietly. "I saw that picture!"

Hermione sighed. "Ethan sweetheart... that article wasn't true. That girl you saw was your dad's trainee in the Auror program. They were out for a business dinner last night while you were here."

"But that's not what the paper said," Ethan argued. "They said Dad traded you in for a younger girl!"

"The paper wasn't telling the truth Ethan," Harry calmed himself down. "I'd never leave your Mum, or you, or Julie or Saffy."

"You're lying," Ethan said not wanting to believe him.

"Why would I lie to you Ethan?" Harry asked, moving next to his son.

"I don't know," Ethan said quietly.

"Sometimes," Hermione began. "Since your dad and I are both high profile people, the newspapers like to make up stories about us."

"Why?" Ethan asked.

"I wish I knew," Hermione said putting her arm around him. "But it doesn't matter what those papers say. Your father loves us very much. You know that he would never do anything to hurt us."

Ethan nodded. "I'm sorry Dad," he said. "I was just really upset when I saw that picture of you and the girl."

"So was I," Harry said giving his son a slight smile.

Ethan reached over and hugged his father hard. "I'm really sorry..." he said again.

"Me too," Harry said hugging him back. "We should have told you about it this morning."

"Promise me next time you'll tell me when there's another article?" Ethan asked.

"We promise," Harry said. He looked at his son. "When you go back to school on Tuesday, I'm sure that you'll hear about this from some of the other kids. I wish you didn't have to, Ethan, but chances are you probably will."

"I'll just tell them it's a big lie," Ethan said determinedly.

"That's my boy," Hermione said giving him a hug.

"You're still grounded," Harry said. "Running off like you did is a very dangerous thing to do."

"And you are to apologise to both Nick and Julie," Hermione said. "And to Greta. You scared her half to death, Ethan."

"I know," Ethan bowed his head.

"But I think since you're accepting this without fighting," Harry continued, "That we can lessen your punishment a bit. Only for a week, all right?"

"Okay," Ethan said quietly.

"No flying and no telly," Harry said. "I think that's pretty fair."

"I agree," Hermione said. "Why don't you go see Nick and Julie and then we'll go home."

"Okay, Mum," Ethan said standing up. "I'll be right back."

"Crisis over," Hermione said, sinking back along the sofa cushion. "Merlin, does it ever end though?"

"He's never talked to me like that," Harry said shaking his head. "And I can't remember a time when he ever looked as if he was disappointed in me, Hermione. You were right. We should have told him this morning."

"I usually am right," Hermione retorted with a weak grin. "He's a smart kid Harry- and it's better if he hears things like this from us rather than how he did or from his school chums."

"We should probably tell him about what happened in the park this afternoon," Hermione said quietly. She knew Harry had destroyed the film, but there was no guarantee that there wouldn't be a write up about how he'd lost his temper.

"We'll do that tonight before he goes to bed," Harry nodded.

"For an awful moment there, I thought someone might have taken him from us," Hermione said shuddering. "Like they tried to do with Julie."

"I know," Harry said. "That crossed my mind too..." he got up as Ethan came back into the sitting room. "Ready?"

"Yep," Ethan said. "Julie was cool."

Harry mussed his son's hair. "We'll see if Greta's just as cool." he said.

"I didn't mean to run away," Ethan said quietly. "I'm sorry I made you all worry."

"We know," Hermione replied. "But you need to tell that to Greta."

"You're not going to sack her, are you?" Ethan asked. "None of this was her fault, Dad. It was all me. I acted really cross with her."

"Of course I'm not going to sack her," Harry replied.

Ethan breathed a sigh of relief. "Great."

Harry and Hermione bid a quick goodbye to Nick and Julie, before the three of them Flooed back to their home in London.

Greta had just put Saffron down when she heard voice downstairs. Nick and Julie had told her that Ethan was safe and sound, but she still wanted to see for herself.

"Ethan James!" Greta said as she hugged him to her. "You scared me half to death!"

"I'm sorry Greta," Ethan said in a small voice. "I was really mad about the article."

Greta pulled away so she could look at him. She smiled at him. "It's okay, but don't ever do that again, Ethan. Do you have any idea what it would do to all of us is something happened to you?"

Ethan shook his head, looking down at the floor as he tried not to cry.

Greta hugged him once more. "Its okay, Ethan."

"I'm really sorry," Ethan hugged her back. "I didn't mean to make you all worry."

"I know you didn't," Greta said. She could tell that the Potters wanted a few moments alone with their son and she gave him a peck on the cheek before going into the kitchen to start dinner.

"Why don't you have a seat, Ethan," Hermione said gently. "Something happened this afternoon when your dad and I took your little sister for a walk."

"What happened?" Ethan asked as Harry returned with Saffron in his arms.

"We were in the park a few streets over when a photographer and a reporter came upon us," Hermione said choosing her words carefully.

"Did they ask you about that girl in the paper?"

"Among other things," Hermione said pulling her son close. "You remember last summer when we were at Hillsdale swimming and those people bothered us? It was kind of like that, sweetheart."

"When they were trying to take pictures of me and Seamus threw that guys camera in the water?" Ethan asked.

"That's right," Harry said. "I got pretty angry then, and I got really angry today at those reporters."

"And they're probably going to have something in the paper tomorrow about it," Hermione said.

"Are they going to talk about you and that girl again Dad?" Ethan was confused.

"Probably," Harry replied. "I know this isn't easy to understand, Ethan. Your mum and I don't quite understand it either. But if you have any questions or doubts, you can ask us. Okay?"

Ethan nodded. "Cause you'd never leave Mum," he said. "I was kind of being an idiot wasn't I?" he asked sheepishly.

"You weren't being an idiot," Hermione told him. "You just shouldn't have run off."

"I know, I know." Ethan said. "I just feel really bad now," he said to his father. "Cause after you told me about it, it's like I should have known it wasn't true."

"Well, if you promise never to run off like that again," Harry told his son. "I promise not to hide anything like that from you ever again little man."

"I promise Dad," Ethan agreed.

Saffron grabbed some of Harry's fringe.

"Looks as if your sister is on your side," Hermione said nudging Ethan.

"Ow..." Harry said. "Not again Saffy you're going to pull all my hair out...." he twisted his head. "Hermione you could help me here you know..."

Hermione looked innocently at him. "You know as well as I do if I take her from you, she's going to start crying..."

"No just help me get my hair out of her hand!" Harry said with a grimace.

Hermione laughed as she stood up and walked over to him. She gently pried Saffron's tiny hand from Harry's hair.

Harry groaned as several inky strands were still grasped in her tiny fist. "I'm going to have a bald spot!" he whined.

"Oh you are so vain," Hermione said dismissively. "You're not going to have a bald spot!"

"I'm positive that I'm already thinning now," Harry said, glaring at her. "Just because she doesn't grab YOUR hair--"

"No, but she's really fond of grabbing hold of my locket," Hermione said fingering the chain. "I've had to replace the clasp six times."

"Oh," Harry said a bit sullenly. "Well that's less painful than your hair."

"You're being a right wuss, Dad," Ethan joked. "About your hair, I mean."

"Come here little man, and see how you like it when she yanks on that hair you're so fond of." Harry teased his son.

"I think I'll just go and see if Greta has any of those biscuits she promised me," Ethan said running into the kitchen.

"Now who's the wuss?" Harry called after him.

Hermione laughed as she sat back down. "Okay, I think we've gone through enough for one day, don't you?"

"For one bloody lifetime," Harry said.

Saffron was smiling sweetly up at Harry and he laughed.

"You're laughing because you're going to make Daddy bald aren't you?" he asked her.

She gurgled, making Hermione laugh as well. "She's definitely your girl." she said. "Stops crying the moment you come in the room."

"I don't know about that," Harry said smiling down at his daughter. "She's cried at everything these past couple of weeks."

"She's not crying now," Hermione said in relief. "That's something."

"That it is," Harry said kissing Saffron's forehead. "I'd do anything to protect them, Hermione. Saffy. Julie. Ethan. You."

"I know you would Harry," Hermione leaned over to kiss him. "This isn't going to tear us apart. There's no way we'd let it."

"Right," he said nodding. "Ethan was right, Hermione. I'd never leave you."

"As if I'd ever let you," Hermione chuckled. "You're stuck with me, from the moment you asked me to dance at Hillsdale."

"The best decision I ever made," Harry said smiling at her.

"That's right," Hermione laughed. "To this day."

*** *** ***

"It's bad enough that we have to live with those horrible people you call parents, but now I'm expected to entertain your mother during the day," Ginny complained to Draco as they made their way upstairs to their bedroom. Narcissa and Lucius had retired for the evening nearly an hour ago. "She had the nerve to call me fat!"

"I'm sure she didn't mean it that way," Draco tried to appease her.

"Oh the bloody cow most definitely meant it," Ginny hissed as they entered their bedroom. "As if I'd want to look anything like her!"

"Gin," Draco said. "You look fine the way you are. You're gorgeous."

"Thank you," Ginny said happy to hear some praise from him. "I just wish you'd say something to your mother. Or at least let her know that it's not my job to keep her occupied during the day while you and your father are up to Merlin knows what."

"I'll say something tomorrow morning," Draco promised.

"You start your new job tomorrow," Ginny reminded him.

"I'm sure I'll see her," Draco said, getting into his silken pyjama bottoms. "Why don't you come visit me and we'll have lunch together?"

"I'd like that," Ginny said smiling at him. Talking about his new job reminded her that he would be running into some of their old classmates from Hogwarts---namely his ex-girlfriend, Pansy Parkinson. "So, are you looking forward to it? St. Mungos, I mean."

"I suppose," Draco stretched out on the bed. "I mean, it's bigger than the hospital back in Sydney, but there I had my status. Here I have to work it back up."

"You won't have any trouble with that," Ginny said smiling at him. "You're the best."

"I think so too," he agreed. "And I have the best wife. You know I wouldn't have come if you weren't here with me."

Ginny sat down beside him on the bed. "I'll admit I was against this at first. And I'm still not crazy about your folks being part of the deal, but I think you're going to be a great Minister."

"It so happens that I think you'll make a great Minister's wife," Draco grinned as she slid into some skimpy lingerie.

"Try telling that to your mum and dad," Ginny said coming back over to join him on the bed.

"They'll accept it because they have to," Draco said, reaching for her.

"Exactly," Ginny said before kissing him.

He shifted her over so she was straddling him. "You are most definitely not fat," he said, sliding his hands over her slender hips.

Ginny thought for a moment about putting a silencing charm on the room, but she didn't care if her in-laws could hear them. In fact, she hoped they could.

"You are the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen," he said, touching his lips to her neck as his fingers wove themselves into her long red hair.

Draco knew that she loved it when he did that.

"Mmmm," she purred.

He loved hearing that sound and it never failed to turn him on. "Louder," he demanded.

"Mmmmmmm," she purred, obeying his command. "Just as long as you keep doing...that."

His tongue flicked out against her skin as he practically ripped the lingerie off.

Ginny gasped into his mouth as he kissed her hard on the lips.

He knew he was being rough, but he also knew Ginny enjoyed raucous lovemaking. "Have you been a good girl?" he asked in a low, seductive voice.

"I have," she said huskily. "I'm always a good girl."

"Good girls always get a reward," Draco said, flipping over so she was underneath him. "Does this girl want her reward?"

"Yes," Ginny said looking up at him. "She does."

"She needs to help her husband out of his trousers first," Draco's grey eyes glinted in the dim light.

Ginny smiled as she pulled down Draco's pyjama bottoms. "That's much better, isn't it?'

"Definitely," his voice was low. "Get back here," he said his tone mischievous.

"Whatever are you going to do with me?" she asked him.

With one swift, experienced move, Draco pulled his wife underneath him and slid inside her. "That," he said as she moaned loudly in satisfaction.

"Don't ever stop doing that," Ginny commanded.

"Not as long as you want it," Draco said savagely, beginning to move with her.

Ginny dug her fingernails into Draco's back as he pressed deeper inside her.

Draco let out a strangled groan as Ginny tightened herself around him. "Do you know what you do to me woman?" he asked through clenched teeth.

"I think I have some idea," she whispered.

Draco didn't seem to care either as they both were as loud as they wanted to be despite the fact that Lucius and Narcissa were nearby.

"You're going to be completely knackered tomorrow," Ginny said a few minutes later. "Not a great way to start your new job....Healer Malfoy."

"I'll manage," Draco said as he rolled off to her side.

"You always do love," Ginny said softly.

"I do love you," Draco ran the back of his hand over her cheek. "Best decision I ever made was to marry you, you know."

Ginny leaned over and kissed him. "You can be quite sweet when you want to be."

"Don't let anyone know," he teased her.

"Your secret is safe with me," Ginny told him with a laugh.

Draco let out a content sigh as she curled into his side. He let his fingers sift through her hair. "Gin..." he said softly.

"Yes?" she asked sleepily.

"What if..." he began. "What if this all doesn't work?"

She wasn't used to hearing him sound so hesitant; so insecure. "Draco, that's your father talking. You know that you're going to be the next Minister for Magic. Everything you've always wanted, you'll have. Just because Lucius doesn't think you can do it, doesn't matter. He's crazy. You and I both know that."

"I know that better than anyone." Draco said. "I'm more concerned I suppose about if this DOES work out. He'll do something to try and overthrow me. He wants total control."

"He's certainly capable of it," Ginny said squeezing his hand. "But by then you'll be Minister. You can throw him back into Azkaban if you want."

Draco chuckled. "There's an idea. And I bet you'd like to throw my mother there right along with him."

"I'm sure we could find something to charge her with," Ginny said giggling.

"Slander?" Draco teased.

"Guilty," Ginny said smiling at him. "Lock her up and throw away the key."

"I guess when it comes down to it," Draco said. "I really can only depend on you Red."

"We have each other," Ginny said spooning with her husband. She closed her eyes. "That's all we need, Draco."

"Right," he said. "I trust you."

"And I trust you," Ginny whispered. "Good night my love."

"Night Red," Draco gave her one last kiss before she fell asleep. He stayed awake a little while longer just looking at her and thinking about what the future might hold for him.