Unofficial Portkey Archive

Last Dance by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Last Dance

Amynoelle and Heaven

A/N: Here's another chapter in the big Allie/Jon saga- not the resolution quite yet, we have to drag it out a little bit ;)

A lot of you are hating Neville- but remember that A/J aren't exactly 'innocents' in all this! He's just being a dad who found his daughter in quite a compromising position.

We did do some review feedback- you guys were AWESOME last chapter with the reviews so as always, please continue on with this chapter :D We'll see you all on Tuesday!

Allison followed her sister through the barrier that lead them to Platform 9 3/4, still feeling numb from the path her life had taken over the past few weeks. Her parents had seen to it that she stayed grounded and unable to contact Jon in any way, shape or form.

"Allie," Cho said trying to at least reach out to her daughter. "I really like the colour you picked out for your dress robes. Pink has always looked lovely on you."

"Thanks," Allison said dully, pulling away and turning to look in the other direction.

Cho shared a look with Neville who just shrugged.

"Frankie?" Neville asked his youngest daughter. He pulled out a permission slip from his pocket. "You'll need this for your Hogsmeade weekends."

"Ooh thanks Dad!" Frankie said excitedly. "Allie we're going to have fun when we go into town!"

"That is if I get to go, right Dad?" Allison asked sarcastically.

"Of course you can go Allison," Neville said, ignoring her tone.

"And you'll have to forward your Quidditch schedule to us," Cho said smiling at her. "We'll have to come for a match or two."

"Whatever," Allison rolled her eyes and began to walk towards the train.

The Weasleys were running remarkably early as they made their way down the platform. Of course, it might have been because instead of four children going back to school, they only had two---Drew and Darla. Josh and Jon tagged along with their parents to see their sisters off.

Of course, Jon hoped to at least catch a glimpse of Allison so his motives weren't entirely unselfish. Jon helped Drew with her trolley as she kept asking him question after question about Hogsmeade.

"I don't know why you want to know," Jon teased her. "You won't be able to go until next year."

"But it sounds like so much fun and I bet I could get Allie or Frankie to get me something--" Drew clapped a hand over her mouth. "I'm sorry Jon I forgot..."

"Its okay, Drew," Jon said smiling at her reassuringly. "I'm sure if you see Allie or Frankie, they'd be happy to get you something."

"Want me to tell her anything for you?" Drew asked.

"Just tell her that I miss her," Jon said hoping that he'd be able to tell her that himself if he managed to catch her alone.

"I still can't believe Neville would say such horrible things," Luna said quietly to Ron. "Questioning our parenting..."

"I know," Ron muttered, not wanting to rehash the events of the past few weeks.

"Mum," Darla said tugging on her mother's sleeve. "Look, it's the Longbottoms!"

"Yeah it's the Longbottoms," Ron grumbled, giving Cho and Neville a dark look.

Jon looked up and saw Allison and everything and everyone seemed to fade away.

Josh put a hand on his brother's arm. "I know you want to go over there mate but don't. Not unless she's away from her dad," he said in a low voice.

"I know," Jon said quietly. "But he's not going to let her alone, is he?"

"Allison," Neville said trying to keep as much distance between his daughter and Jon as possible. "Why don't you help your sister with her things?"

"Fine," Allison said shortly. She hadn't caught sight yet of the Weasleys and for that Neville was glad.

"I'll take Darla and Drew's things down so you can say a proper goodbye to them," Jon offered, sensing his chance to get a few moments with Allie.

"That's be great, Jon," Luna said smiling at him. "Thanks."

"Sure," Jon said, giving Josh a look as he tugged the trunks over to the train. He looked around for a glimpse of Neville and Cho. They were on the other side of the station, so Jon took his chance to duck onto the train.

"Do you want to go back with me to say goodbye to Mum and Dad?" Frankie asked Allison after they'd handed over their belongings.

"No," Allison said, opening up the door to an empty compartment. "I'll save you a seat."

"Okay," Frankie said. "I'll be right back."

Allison sat back on the cushioned seat and gazed out the window, watching as people were rushing about outside. She was so lost in thought she hadn't noticed or heard someone opening the compartment door.

"Allie..." Jon whispered. He hadn't realised he said her name aloud until she snapped her head around.

"If you don't mind I'd really like to be..." she said turning around. Her heart seemed to stop as she looked at him. "Jon?"

"Al," he grinned at her.

"W-what are you doing here?" she stammered. Shakily, she got to her feet. "You are really here, aren't you? I'm not just imagining it?"

"No you're not," Jon reached over and pulled the curtains shut so no one could see into the compartment. "I snuck on so I could see you, if only for a few minutes."

"I've missed you so much," she said touching his cheek.

"I've missed you too," Jon said softly. "Feels like it's been two years and not two weeks."

"I know," Allison said leaning in for a kiss.

Jon claimed her lips hungrily, kissing her as hard as he could. "Al... I'm half tempted to stay on the train with you."

"But you can't," Allison said sadly.

"I really wish I could," Jon said, kissing her again. "I love you so much," he said, holding her tightly.

"I love you," she whispered resting her head on his shoulder. "I keep thinking about that night at your place. We were so happy, Jon."

"I know," he said, moving his hand through her soft hair. "And we'll be happy again Allie. Once you finish up with school we'll be together again."

"Allie," Frankie said pushing back the compartment door. "I've got---what's Jon doing here?"

"Hey Frankie," Jon said. "I uh... I came to see your sister for a minute."

Allison just knew Frankie was going to run off the train to blab to their parents. To her surprise though, Frankie just smiled. "I'll just wait outside. The train's going to depart in about two minutes."

"Um, thanks," Allison said gratefully.

"Wow," Jon said as Frankie slid the door closed. "She's not running off to tell?"

"I can't believe it," Allison said shaking her head. She made a mental note to thank her sister profusely for what she'd just done.

"Are you okay?" Allison asked him, knowing they didn't have much time, but not wanting to let him go just yet.

"I'm fine," Jon said, holding her even closer. "I just want to be with you Al."

"I want that too," Allison said softly. "More than anything."

She pulled away so she could look at him. "I know you're not much for writing letters..."

"I'll write you every day," Jon promised.

"Now and then would be a start," Allison teased. "Christmas break will be here before we know it, right? I don't care what I have to do, we'll spend it together, Jon."

"I'll still come to Hogsmeade on your birthday. And if it doesn't fall on a weekend, I'll find a way to get to the castle so we can spend the day together." Jon swore.

Frankie opened the compartment door. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but the train's about to leave, Jon."

"Thanks Frankie," Jon said. He gave Allison another kiss. "I love you Al."

"I love you too," Allison said softly. "You'd better go."

"Right," Jon said, walking backwards out of the compartment and jumping off the train just as it was starting to move.

"Hello Jonathan," a familiar voice called out from behind.

Jon turned around to see who was talking to him.

"Why were you on the train?" Neville asked him.

"He was helping his sisters," Ron said coming up to join them. "Not that it should be any concern of yours."

"I was putting their trunks in a compartment," Jon was hoping that Allison's lip gloss wasn't smeared on his face. "And then I got to talking to someone I knew and got off just in time."

"That someone you knew wouldn't have been my daughter, would it?" Neville asked.

Ron glared at him. "What my son does is no longer your concern Longbottom." he snapped.

"If it's with my daughter it sure as hell does," Neville retorted.

Luna quickly got in between them. "Let's not do this here, okay?"

"Despite what you think I still love your daughter," Jon said, staring at Neville.

"Really?" Neville asked him. "What sort of person encourages the girl he loves to lie to her parents? What sort of person takes advantage of--?"

"Enough!" Luna shouted at him. "Jon didn't do any of those things! You've known my son all his life..."

"And now he thinks because of that he can shag my daughter under my nose!" Neville shouted back at her. "Get out of my face Weasley."

"Don't you talk to my wife like that!" Ron exclaimed, shoving Neville.

"Get your son away from me before I do something you'll really regret," Neville hissed, his eyes dark with anger.

"You've already done enough," Jon said quietly. "There's nothing more you can do to me that could hurt more than being away from Allison."

"And you're going to stay away from her," Neville snapped. "She'll find someone else she likes better."

"Let's just go, Jon," Luna said gently, putting a hand on his arm. "Let's just go."

"Fine," Jon muttered, his elation at being able to sneak away for a few minutes with Allison gone.

Ron watched as his two sons and Luna walked away.

He looked at Neville. "Are you happy now?"

"I'll be happy the day your son and my daughter call off that excuse of a relationship," Neville said, folding his arms.

"You know I once knew a bloke who fell in love with a girl that his grandmother said wasn't worthy of him," Ron said. "His grandmother even said that if they continued seeing each other that she'd cut him off completely."

"What the hell is your point?" Neville asked snappishly.

"The fact that you even have to ask speaks more than anything I would have to say," Ron answered dryly. "Goodbye, Neville. Give my best to Cho."

Neville watched him walk away before returning to his wife. "Good riddance," he muttered.

"Where've you been?" Cho asked him with a smile. "I was about to send out a search party..."

"I caught Jonathan Weasley sneaking off the train," Neville replied.

"What?" Cho asked.

"I think he was on trying to see Allison, even though he denies it." Neville said.

Cho sighed. "Neville, are you sure we're doing the right thing? Allie barely spoke to us these last few days. She's been miserable."

"I still think she's too young to be caught up in this type of relationship," Neville said firmly. "If you had seen her all wrapped up naked on Jonathan's sofa you'd think so too."

"I know," Cho said quietly. "I just hope that she forgives us someday for this and knows that we just want the best for her."

"She will," Neville said confidently. "Sooner or later she'll forget all about that Weasley."

Cho wished she could share in his confidence, but she wasn't so sure.

*** *** ***

Things onlygot worse in the weeks after Allison returned to school. Neville and Cho were not on speaking terms with Ron and Luna. Harry and Hermione and Seamus and Lavender found themselves caught in the middle. It made for a very tense situation for everyone involved. For the first few weeks, Hermione had bit her tongue and not said anything. She and Harry had tried to remain neutral throughout all of this. But, she hated to see what this was doing to her friends.

She knew that if they just sat down and talked about this like rational adults, things would change for the better.

Taking matters into her own hands, Hermione decided to throw a dinner party for her friends. The only thing was that neither Ron and Luna nor Cho and Neville knew that the other couple were coming.

Greta had fixed a delicious meal for them and Hermione knew that once they were all sitting around the table, it would seem like old times.

Her husband, though, had his doubts.

"You don't really think this will work do you?" he asked as they got ready in their room. "I mean, I've known them for most of my life Hermione. They're all stubborn as hell."

"They're nowhere near as stubborn as me," Hermione said putting on some earrings. "And by the time they leave tonight, they're going to be wondering why there were fighting in the first place."

Harry shook his head but smiled for his wife's benefit. She could be quite the optimist.

"Okay," Hermione said switching to her efficient Minister mode. "Cho and Neville are arriving at seven and we told Ron and Luna to come around 7:30. They'll probably wonder why we've got two extra places set, but I'll just make up something about Seamus and Lav coming."

"Oh they ducked out?" he asked pointedly. "After Lavender helped you plot this down to the very last dish?"

"Lavender didn't go willingly," Hermione admitted. "Seamus said he didn't want any part in this and he forced her to go by promising to let her run wild in Harrods's."

Harry snorted. "She gets to go shopping and I have to sit here through this. I don't want any part in it either."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

"Well when they all blow up later, do me a favour and keep my name out of it," Harry said, buttoning up his shirt.

"Whatever," Hermione said glowering at him. "I fully expect to be telling you 'I told you so' later tonight."

"Whatever," Harry mocked.

Hermione ignored him and ran a brush through her hair. "I hope Julie's okay watching the kids."

"She's fine," Harry replied. "You know Ethan loves going over there and Jules would kill for as much time with Saffy as possible."

"No smart remarks?" Hermione asked. "I expected you to say something about how it was good to get the children out of the way before the battle lines were drawn or something like that...."

"I was holding back," Harry replied with a smirk.

"That's because you know that I'm right," Hermione said giving her husband a kiss. "Deep down you know that this is right."

"I'm not saying a damn word," Harry said when they pulled apart.

Hermione took his hand and led him downstairs where they were surprised to see Neville and Cho had already arrived.

"Hiya," Hermione said smiling at them. "You're early."

"Hello Hermione," Cho gave her a hug. "You look fantastic in those robes."

"Thanks," Hermione said hugging her back. "I'm so glad you two could come."

"Been awhile since we've seen you mate," Neville clapped Harry on the shoulder. "The wife keeping you busy?"

"Always," Harry said with a knowing grin. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"If you've got any beer that'd be great." Neville replied.

"Coming right up," Harry said. "And for your better half?"

"A white wine, if you have any." Cho said.

"I think we'll all need a good stiff drink," Harry muttered under his breath. Hermione glared at her husband's retreating back.

"So what have you two been up to?" Hermione asked conversationally. "Heard anything from the kids?"

"Frankie's owled us for money," Neville said with a grin. "Already."

Hermione laughed. "That's our Frankie."

"Allie hasn't owled us," Cho said quietly. "Not once."

"Oh," Hermione let her smile slip. "I'm um... sure she will soon. After all, you're her parents."

"And Chiaki thinks we're being irrational," Cho continued sinking down on the sofa.

"Does she?" Hermione kept her tone neutral.

"She's not a parent," Neville said looking up as Harry came back into the room with their drinks. "She wouldn't understand."

"About what?" Harry asked, shooting his wife a look as he handed everyone a drink.

"About doing what is best for your children," Neville replied. "She doesn't understand that we've done all of this to protect Allison."

"I see," Harry said slowly.

"Everything will sort itself out," Hermione reassured her friends. "You'll see."

"I hope so," Cho replied. "I hate having my daughter feel so alienated."

"So do I," Neville said before taking a swig of his beer. "But let's not talk about this now. Where's Lav and Seamus? I thought they were joining us?"

"They're not coming," Harry said.

"Until later," Hermione interjected.

Cho nodded. "Lavender's being fashionable late as usual, eh?"

"Nice to know some things never change," Neville said with a laugh. "Poor Seamus sure has his hands full."

"I think he loves every moment of it too," Hermione said with a laugh.

"Poor unfortunate soul that he is," Harry deadpanned.

"Harry," Hermione said with a warning look.

"I meant that in the best possible way," Harry said quickly.

A knock sounded in the entryway and Hermione looked over. "I wonder who that is?" she said in a false surprised voice.

"The poor unfortunate soul probably," Neville said taking a seat beside his wife on the sofa.

"Probably," Harry smiled thinly, anticipating the fireworks he knew were about to erupt.

Hermione excused herself to answer the door. She said a silent prayer that everything would go okay before opening the door.

"Greetings Minister," Ron said giving her a peck on the cheek. "We come bearing gifts."

"Hello Ron," Hermione said. "Hi Luna." she beamed at her friends.

"I'm so glad you suggested this," Luna said taking off her cloak while her husband handed Hermione the bottle of wine. "We don't get together near as often as we used to."

"Yes I know," Hermione nodded. "Especially together as one big group."

"We'll have to make this a tradition," Luna suggested. "We'll all have to get together at least once a month for a dinner party."

"Of course," Hermione said. "All of us, hanging out like the old times."

"Not exactly like old times," Ron pointed out. "Since Longbottom's lost his right mind."

"Oh come now," Hermione said. "I'm sure we can all put our differences aside." she led them into the sitting room.

"Not after what he said about my son," Ron was saying but his voice trailed off as his eyes fell on the two people sitting on the sofa. "What are they doing here?"

"We were invited here for a dinner party," Neville rose from the sofa as soon as the Weasleys entered. "What are YOU doing here?"

"WE were invited for a dinner party too," Ron retorted.

"Well thanks for the drink Harry but I think Cho and I should go." Neville set his beer down hard. "I don't want to stay and eat with--"

"Go ahead Longbottom," Ron countered. "Finish your sentence....you don't want to eat with my wife and me? Well no one's forcing you to stay here."

"I want you ALL to stay," Hermione said firmly. "You're all still our friends."

Neville wanted to wipe the smirk off of Ron's face. He knew Ron would like nothing more than for he and Cho to walk out, but Neville wasn't about to give him the satisfaction. If anyone should go, Neville thought, it should be Ron and Luna.

"We'll stay," Neville said, sitting back down. "But we already ate Weasley. You're a little shit out of luck there."

Ron glared at him.

"We haven't eaten yet," Hermione reassured him. "Neville's just having a go at you, Ron. Greta's made all your favourites."

"Then we'll stay too," Ron said, still glaring at Neville.

"Brilliant," Hermione said pleased. "Can I get you and Luna something to drink, Ron?"

"Firewhisky," Ron said, sitting opposite Neville and Cho.

"Just some sparkling water for me," Luna replied.

Hermione nodded and went to get their drinks and Harry wished he'd thought to join her. The room was deadly quiet.

"So," Harry said awkwardly.

"What's new with you Harry?" Ron asked, purposely ousting Neville from the conversation.

"Nothing much," Harry replied dryly. "Ethan and Saffy are keeping us pretty busy."

"We should have a pickup game of Quidditch some weekend," Ron said, ignoring the looks Neville was shooting at them.

Luna was terribly uncomfortable with Cho sitting silently by Neville's side. They kept darting looks at each other but never made eye contact.

"I'd like that," Harry said with a grin. "We could all go. Maybe even get Josh and Jo..."

"I hope you don't expect Jon to take a game of Quidditch seriously," Neville snorted.

Ron gripped the arms of his chair.

"Jon's a great keeper," Harry said quickly. "Helped Gryffindor win two house cups if I remember correctly. Right Ron?"

"That's right," Ron replied proudly. "Damn good player he is!"

Neville snorted. "Interesting choice of words..."

"Look Longbottom," Ron began furiously.

"Here we are," Hermione said brightly coming back into the room with Luna and Ron's drinks. "What did I miss?"

"Oh just some wisdom from the great Weasley in the corner," Neville laughed derisively.

"Dinner's nearly ready," Hermione said hoping to lighten the mood. "I hope you're hungry."

"It smells delicious," Luna said trying to make an effort.

"Greta made a vegetable casserole for you Cho," Hermione said, sitting next to her husband. "And for us meat lovers she made a roast."

"One of these days I might just have to steal Greta away from you two," Luna said.

"I'd like to see you try," Hermione grinned. "Do you expect my family to live on MY cooking?"

"They might get bored with lasagne for all three meals," Luna joked.

"It's a pretty mean lasagne," Ron grinned.

"Next time we get together I'll be sure to make it for you," Hermione promised. She looked over at Neville who was still glaring at Ron. "Nev? Can I get you another beer?"

"That'd be nice," he said tightly. "Thanks Hermione."

"I'll get it for you," Harry got up hastily and practically ran from the room.

Hermione let out a hollow laugh. "There goes my husband beating me to the punch yet again. He's too quick for me."

No one said anything and Hermione started to have her doubts about whether this would work. Normally, she'd ask about the children, but that was a subject that should be avoided.

"Greta's made enough for a small army," Hermione said. "You lot are more than welcome to take home any leftovers."

"I'll be sure and take you up on that Hermione," Ron said happily.

"How are things at the shop?" Hermione asked.

"Fantastic," Ron said. "I've had a six percent sales increase in the last month."

"That's fantastic," Hermione said smiling at him.

She looked over at Neville and Cho who looked as if they'd rather be anywhere but where they were.

"And how about you Neville?"

"Auror business couldn't be better," he replied. "And Cho's school is busier than it ever was. We're doing fantastic." he stressed the last word and looked pointedly at Ron.

"And how is Allison?" Ron asked. "Is she doing fantastic as well?"

"Quite," Neville said brightly.

"She's doing fine," Cho said. "Her marks are top notch."

"And how is she feeling?" Ron asked not ready to let this go. "Is she happy?"

Neville nodded, a smirk on his face. "In fact, she's already seeing someone, a Ravenclaw."

"What?" Luna asked. "But..."

"But I thought she loved Jon," Hermione said softly.

"Longbottom's lying," Ron said defiantly. "He always was a terrible liar."

"Guess you'll never really know will you?" Neville asked smugly.

"The girl I saw at your house a few weeks ago didn't look like someone who was just going to forget about Jon," Ron said angrily. "You've probably not received one owl from her. You forget Nev, Josh's girlfriend is Allison's best mate. Her owls aren't intercepted like Allie's."

Neville's smile disappeared. "We can fix that," he said tightly.

"Going to make her stop being friends with Lizzy too?" Luna asked angrily. "Don't you think you're carrying this a bit too far Neville? I know that what happened threw you for a loop, but Jon has assured Ron and I that he and Allie took every precaution. They were responsible..."

"Responsible?" Neville snorted as Harry came back in. "You call shagging on a sofa responsible?"

"Jon would never do anything to hurt Allison," Luna reassured Neville her tone a little softer. "He loves her, Neville. They're both miserable. Is that what you want?"

"Of course we don't want them to be miserable," Cho said in a calmer tone than her husband. "But we think they're too young to be engaging in that sort of activity."

"As I recall," Ron said looking at Cho. "You were Allie's age when you and Harry..."

"Not the best thing to bring up," Cho interrupted hastily.

"When has that ever stopped him?" Neville asked sarcastically.

"Look," Ron's eyes were narrowed. "You've changed Neville. You're acting like your Gran did when you and Cho up and got married. And if you don't watch out, you're going to lose Allie just like your Gran knew she'd lose you and that's why she came around!"

"Here we go again," Neville said rolling his eyes. "You're beginning to sound like a broken record Ron. The situations are entirely different..."

He got to his feet. "I'll be damned if I'm going to let you dictate how I raise my daughter, Ron Weasley. The last thing I want is my 16-year old daughter pregnant and alone. So you can tell your no good son to move on to his next victim because my daughter is out of his life for good."

"Don't you dare say my son is no good," Ron angrily got to his feet as well. "And if Jon got Allie pregnant, he'd be responsible and stick by her every damn step of the way." he was dying to say something about how he figured this had to do with Draco Malfoy abandoning Cho but one look at his wife made him hold his tongue on that subject.

"I'll say whatever I please," Neville said huffily.

"I think dinner might be ready," Hermione interjected, but no one heard her. She looked helplessly at Harry.

"Okay," Harry said loudly, stepping between his friends. "Can we all calm down here and act like adults?"

"He's the one who started it," Ron said glaring at Neville.

"That's real mature," Neville snorted.

"It's the truth," Ron said. "None of us would be in this mess if you'd have just listened Neville. Tell him, Harry."

"I'm not getting in the middle of this," Harry replied. "Neville, I think you owe it to Ron and Luna to listen to this and you know what? Both of you need to realise that this is mainly between Jon and Allie."

"Sure take his side," Neville said angrily. "You always have."

"He just told you he's not taking any sides," Hermione stood next to Harry.

"If this was your daughter, what would you have done?" Neville asked Harry point-blank. "What would you have done if you were in my shoes, Harry?"

"I've been in your shoes Neville," Harry retorted. "His name is Nick, and he makes my daughter happy."

Neville shook his head. "She wasn't 16 when they got together though, was she? She wasn't lying to you was she? Though, I can understand why you wouldn't see any of this my way. You and Hermione certainly know something about going behind someone's back now don't you? Of course the two of you would see this as romantic."

"Neville," Cho put her hand on his arm. "Perhaps we should leave..."

"Aye," Neville said. "Suddenly I'm not so hungry."

"I'm sorry Harry," Cho said quietly. "We'll see you soon Hermione." she was too ashamed to look at Ron or Luna.

Hermione watched as Neville and Cho disapparated. "That was a complete disaster."

Harry decided to wait until later to tell his wife 'I told you so'. "Yeah," he muttered.

*** *** ***

It wasn't until an hour after they got home that Cho or Neville even spoke a word to one another. Cho was embarrassed at her husband's behaviour towards Ron and Luna and he was angry because she didn't back him up.

Cho silently walked into the kitchen to warm up some of the leftover casserole they'd had last night. Just when she thought this was getting better, something like this happened to make everything much worse.

Neville had changed into a simpler pair of jeans and jumper and as he was walking back towards the kitchen, he noticed the door to Allison's bedroom was ajar. He was going to close it when his eyes fell upon a picture of her as a baby sitting next to her bed with a much younger Chiaki giggling beside her.

"Nev?" Cho called out. When he didn't answer her, she went upstairs to see if he wanted some leftovers. "Nev? Where are you?"

"I'm in here," Neville answered.

Cho walked into Allison's bedroom and saw her husband sitting on the edge of her twin bed holding a picture frame. She sat down beside him and couldn't help smiling.

"I remember when that was taken," she said softly.

"That day we took the girls to Diagon Alley," Neville smiled.

"Chiaki kept announcing to everyone that she was Allie's big sister," Cho said fondly.

"She had her first ice cream that day," Neville laughed. "Remember taking her to Florean Fortescue's?"

Cho laughed. "She wore most of her first ice cream that day. And you kept trying to help her, but she swatted you away with her little hand."

"She's always been pretty independent hasn't she?" Neville asked with a sigh, tracing over his middle daughter's face in the photograph.

Cho nodded. "I hate this Neville. She used to write to us all the time when she was at school. And now..."

Neville shook his head. "I don't know Cho... sometimes I think we're doing the right thing and other times..."

"Frankie says she's thrown herself into studying," Cho said. "And that she's completely miserable. She shouldn't be spending her last year at school like that."

Neville nodded slowly, silent as he took another picture from her shelf.

With a heavy sigh, Cho stood up and started tidying up around the room. There were a few books on the floor along with some Muggle CD's that Allison hadn't put away before she'd left. Cho put them in the hope chest at the end of Allison's bed. She was thinking of writing to Allison again to see if she'd want them to come to her first Quidditch match of the year. Frankie had owled the schedule and had taken it upon herself to be the family mediator.

"What do you think Cho?" Neville asked. "I mean really- what do you think of her and Jon together? Am I being THAT unreasonable?"

Cho looked thoughtfully at her husband. "I want our daughter to be happy, Neville. That's all that I've ever wanted. And even though you might not like it, he makes her very happy." She knew Neville wanted to say something, but she held up her hand. "I know that what they did was wrong, but maybe we overreacted."

"You didn't see her under that blanket with him though," Neville pointed out.

"I know," Cho said walking over to her husband. "I know it was hard for you to see that, but I can't imagine it was any easier for Allison for you to find her like that..."

Neville could feel himself soften as he gazed as his daughter's innocent face in the photographs in front of him.

Cho moved to put the books on the shelf, but one of them fell to the floor. A piece of parchment fell out of the book and at first Cho thought it must have been a bookmark or something.

Neville saw that it was another photograph, this one of her and Jon and it must have been taken in Ireland.

Allison and Jon were waving enthusiastically at whoever was taking the photograph and the smile on Neville's face fell as he saw the photograph Jon nuzzle Allison's neck.

Cho could read the expression on her husband's face. "Nev..."

"We're doing the right thing here Cho." Neville grabbed the photograph and shoved it into Allison's bedside drawer.

"It's just a picture," Cho said reassuringly. "They were just fooling...okay...wrong choice of words."

"She's too young to be so serious about one person. And wouldn't you know, the first guy we allow her to go out with, she shags." Neville shook his head.

"She's said that she loves him," Cho said remembering the conversation with Allison in Chiaki's kitchen so many weeks ago.

"She's in lust with him," Neville answered.

Cho wasn't so sure she could write her daughter's feelings down to just that. She'd seen the way her daughter's eyes had lit up when she talked about Jon.

"What if she doesn't grow out of this?" Cho asked. "What if this only makes her feelings for him stronger? What if she graduates and they..."

"She wouldn't do anything like that," Neville's tone was more confident than he actually felt.

"So what do we do?" Cho asked him.

"We keep them apart," Neville said simply. "Just like we're doing now. She'll realise it's the best thing."

"And what about our friendship with Ron and Luna?" Cho asked. "And Harry and Hermione for that matter."

"It'll all blow over when Allie and Jon both find someone new," Neville said. "For Allie it might take longer, but it'll happen."

"You make it sound so easy," Cho said quietly.

"It will be fine," Neville said, once again sounding more confident than he felt.